Sideline Reviews

3.7/5 (42 reviews)
Nick P.

Works Perfectly - Increased Our Business By 60%

Reviewed on 2018/10/05

Best addition to our client/customer communications for 9 buck a month we ever made.

Pros

We use Sideline to make sure EVERY incoming call receive an "Immediate Text Message Response". Sideline knows if it was a mobile phone calling in. This is so important in the "Service Industry". People call our main Ooma VOIP online posted tele numbers (we have eight)... the Ooma numbers forward to our head technician.... If the head technician cannot take the call, or is on another line, then the incoming caller receives an AUTO TEXT MESSAGE the minute they hand up. Very Very Cool. The text message has a tele-phone number fo an Alternate Tech, a link to our web site, and a message thanking them for calling.

Cons

NONE !!! NONE WHAT-SO-EVER
The people leaving negative reviews are (in our opinion) not very bright. The Last thing you want some inquiry calling you to do Is: "Google" something they are looking for (find you), make the call and then not get you for whatever reason. Why not put a friggin' text message (with alternate tapeable tel number), a message with links, and image in their face the minute they hang up. Way better than losing the customer to another Google search. Think Different ! We don't lose customers anymore. YEA Sideline.

Angela P.

Great Application for Collection purposes

Reviewed on 2019/09/12

It gives us the ability to enable another phone number to call delinquent customers. Very easy to set up and worth every penny !!!

Pros

Yes, we do use this application in order to get a new different phone number that my collectors can use when our regular number has been blocked for not very happy/delinquent customers. I was introduced to it for one of my employees, she used it before and it's a live saver. We do pay the yearly fee without a problem because it allows us to create and have another phone line available to us. Super easy to use. Has its own VM service, text mesg service. We use daily and it's a must for us.

Cons

The only suggestion I'd make would be to give the user the ability to change the phone number before the subscription expires. That wa you are not stuck with the same number for a whole year in case people end up blocking that number too.

ADS

Reviewed on 2019/09/06

the messages that get from SIDELINE are confusing me with perceived missed calls and or messages from prospective clients. I would like an option to be able to receive communication in another format, perhaps email or op out.

I will be searching for an alternative if this issue cannot or will not be addressed or resolved. Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Pros

It's an alternative to having a second cell phone.
Customers recognize the area code as somewhat local.

Cons

ADS in the form of a message, on my alerts it shows as if I missed a call or have a text message from prospective client. I understand that Sideline is constantly working for us users to find better ways to use the app, but I rather receive these BETA request and news and information in the form of a email.

Braden T.

An OK Cheap Start

Reviewed on 2017/02/09

I use Sideline as the main number for my business since we are fairly new and it makes more sense to use than purchase a second phone. I had my number go down for about 4 days though, which was terrible and more than irritated my customers. I also cannot say how much it cost us in potential clients. Their customer service took 4 days to get back to us. Even though they offer phone numbers they don't have one themselves and only work through an email. Call quality is pretty good, but you need to be right next to your phone because Sideline won't let the calls ring for very long. Overall it has worked pretty well for us and we haven't had a need to switch from it yet.

Pros

Free. Works pretty well. Call quality same as any phone. Offers texting and calls.

Cons

Must use regularly to maintain number. Terrible customer service. Had a few calls that were dropped or not properly connected. Numbers are HIGHLY prone to spam calls.

5.0/10
Pamela C.

Convenient

Reviewed on 2018/03/29

Pros

Sideline works as a separate line on my phone. I use it as my business mobile number.

Cons

The name doesn't appear 99% of the time (only the number), even though the caller is listed in my contacts. Calls are not always clear. Doesn't have as many features as other competitors and less than TextFree, the free service offered through Pinger (Sideline's parent company). I have always paid for the service. Customer service is not the greatest.

7.0/10

Excellent Option for Freelancers

Reviewed on 2018/10/16

Sideline lets me have a work phone and a personal phone without actually needing to have two phones. Great service.

Pros

Sideline make it very easy for me to neatly divide my work calls and texts from my friends. I work as a freelancer so it's super nice to know when an editor might be calling vs a friend. Being able to text from my second number is great as well.

I'm told you are also able to bring your number with you if you ever grow your business to the point of wanting a standard desk phone, which is a great feature, but I've not done it.

Cons

Very little. Works great and I have no complaints.

W. shawn W.

Not close to even being "professional" grade

Reviewed on 2016/07/05

I am currently involved in several different businesses and need separate phone lines for each in order to text or call clients. However, I do not want to have separate phones. Sideline does not allow for the use of a fully individuated phone number (e.g., calling out from the same number as calling in), especially when a competitor app is installed. If you are looking for communication and confidence in the use of an app that allows you to separate personal from professional securely, and thus allow clients not to access your private information, this may not be the app for you. Instead, you may have to use Caller ID block in order to "rectify this scenario" which opens a whole host of other communication issues with clients (some don't answer blocked calls, some automatically reject blocked calls, etc.)

Customer service appears to take a lackadaisical approach, stating they know this is a known issue, and it is "common", but is not aware of plans to fix the common, known issue. I have used customer service on two different occasions and been informed on both occasions by separate customer service representatives that the system had a glitch that did not allow them to see my trouble ticket. When I was not a customer, I had inquired about the actual service through the same ticket system and been in contact with yet another representative multiple times within a 24 hour period.

Pros

The app is a free app with the potential to be really good if programmed correctly.

Cons

Customer service doesn't appear to respond in a timely fashion. Also, having a ticket management system that closes out a ticket after 3 days of inactivity without responding in said time is counterintuitive and frustrating to the user.

The app does not use a distinct dialer like Line2 or even Google Voice.

The app does not allow for the use of multiple lines coming in (even in the paid version). I am assuming this is for security purposes, but in some cases multiple lines are necessary.

0.0/10
Angelina M.

A needed service but room for improved features

Reviewed on 2018/02/27

Pros

Sideline allows me to separate business from personal calls. I can have automatic out of office and other messages sent when clients call or text. I do not have to increase my phone data package to utilize the app but do need to be within wifi or data to accept and send calls or text.

Cons

The app does not always keep contacts saved names. So I will receive phone calls from regular clients but all I see is their number which I do not memorize. This is a glitch that does get annoying. Luckily, all contact info is stored on my phone directory. Sometimes, texts messages do not go through but I do not receive an error message.

Jen P.

Very happy with this extra phone number

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

I've been using Sideline for over a year and find it so functional. Unlike many of my friends who need an extra work phone number, I simply use this on my iPhone and do not need to carry extra hardware. Absolutely worth for the pro version!

Cons

Sometimes calls come up as missed or voicemails come up within the app notification, and sometimes they show up in my general phone notification. It's just confusing as I'm not sure if it's a personal or professional call.

Michelle L.

Just want you need

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

Pros

This works with iphone and android. I give out this number to business clients. The best feature about Sideline is that you can block people and they have no idea that they've been blocked, and there is no extra cost for the blocking

Cons

I sometimes get errors when using Sideline

Psalm L.

No need for a second phone

Reviewed on 2018/07/17

Should have lower price tiers for lower use

Pros

This has cut my client cost down greatly. I don't have to have a seperate phone. The phone quality has been steadyand the texting is helpful with rescheduling!

Cons

There is this strange second message that you have to answer yes to for every call. I don't like the confirmation of the call button, but I understand it may help people who use there side line for more discreet dealings.

Problems with usage and cancelling subscription

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

It seemed to work well at the beginning and was good for the price, but things deteriorated over time, causing a lot of problems with my not getting back to customers whose messages got lost in Sideline cyberspace

Pros

It appeared to be a good solution for my small business

Cons

On more than one occasion, people left messages, I saw the call listed, but there was no voicemail there. The developer had no explanation for the problem and could not fix it. I went back and forth many times with customer service. They were responsive but the problem was never fixed. In addition, when I tried to cancel my subscription, Google could not find the subscription agreement I purchased through Google Play, and I spent hours on the phone trying to stop the monthly charges. Sideline support referred me to Google, and Google referred me to Paypal. It was a ridiculous set of events not worthy of anyone's l-o-n-g amount of time spent.

2.0/10
Christine B.

Love Sideline

Reviewed on 2019/09/06

I love Sideline. Having a business number is important to me as I am on the go between 5 different sites. I find that texting is the most convenient way of communication for most. I do not want to give out my personal number and Sideline is a great alternative. I only have to have ONE phone. Love it.

Pros

I love that Sideline works just like my regular cell phone number. It's easy to use and you can text too, which is a plus!

Cons

The only con I can think of is that the caller ID rarely works so I do not know who is calling when I answer.

Psalm L.

I use daily to reach mental health clients. It allows me to provide text access and phone access.

Reviewed on 2017/07/20

It allows me to provide a sense of security to my clients. I am able to keep my privacy, while being accessible.

Pros

I like the clear reception and the email notification is very helpful.I can screen the calls easily.

Cons

I would like a video chat option like facetime. The emoticons are a bit limited as well. I have droped calls on elevators and older buildings.

Laurabell L.

Best way to show local presence without having to change my cell phone number

Reviewed on 2017/09/13

Didn't have to change my cell phone number when I moved into a new state to start my new business.

Pros

That I don't have to change my cell phone number after moving into a new area to start my business. Added bonus, you can text from the number and now I can seperate all my business calls from my personal calls!

Cons

There is a delay when someone calls into me and I answer. I have to wait a few seconds. When a voicemail is left I can't dial back automatically, I have to go into the program to do so

Nikolay R.

Great product

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Pros

Very easy to set up and use. Serves perfectly for my needs.

Cons

Not sure about the cons. It's only hard to manage its payments through the iTunes on iPhone.

Diane E.

Forget Sideline when you buy a new phone

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

Pros

I liked the fact I only had one phone. Ease of use.

Cons

I bought a new phone and had to transfer my app. I was unable to sign in, had multiple errors. I spent approximately 6 hours texting their help line back and forth. No one could figure out how to sign me into my account on my new phone. I did everything they told me to do to access my account without success. I lost hours of work, unknown amount of phone calls and messages missed. This is unacceptable.

4.0/10

Love this

Reviewed on 2018/04/14

Pros

Some of the best features for outside sales people or a group. Love the text and call auto reply options. I subscribed to the additional voicemail to text feature as well

Cons

You have to be sure you set up your phone correctly to ensure your voicemails go to the correct place. Sort of confusing

Great application to use for additional phone number!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/11/02

This has been a great app for me overall as I have met some people online that I would rather not keep in contact with. I can just ignore their calls and not have to worry about them harassing me all the time. I recommend it for users who need an additional line for any reason.

Pros

I started online dating about a year ago and found this to be great to create another phone number just for use when my date search. That way I did not have to worry about giving our my real phone number.

Cons

You must have a strong internet connection to properly answer calls. Otherwise, if you're traveling and going through low cellphone reception areas, you will not be able to take calls using this app.

Sandra B.

Started using this when it was free and for free it was great. They switched to paid in October.

Reviewed on 2018/01/09

A headache

Pros

I was able to have a seperate line for my business. It was great when it was free. Thats about the only thing positive I can say. I switched over from another service hoping to get the same type of service. Boy was I wrong.

Cons

Since they switched to paid there is NOTHING different about the app or service. It is NOT worth . In fact, I have had nothing but issues and customer service is almost impossible to reach. They terminated my account and I lost my number because of their own billing issue. It has been near impossible to reach ANYONE to correct. When I have all they want is my credit card number to bill me and offer no resolution and not even a sincere apology for the BS.

When I asked about my number then conveniently they were closed. Seriously, I have the screenshots to prove all this. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to change my business number and go with a different service. I will not give these people another cent unless someone does something to actually help AND offers a sincere apology.

0.0/10
Treda F.

Second phone, fraction of the cost!

Reviewed on 2018/10/28

Pros

I like how I can customize so many features. Everything from voicemail greetings, to text message signatures. I can also totally cut off my availability. If I do not want to work, I can send calls to voicemail, enable text responder and turn off notifications!

Cons

Its not easy to share content to Sideline. The option is there, but when the message opens, it's blank.

Best option for keeping my phone number

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/09/10

I can keep my US number and still send and receive text messages!

Pros

So far, this has been the best option for me to keep my phone number while overseas. I lost my sim card, so couldn't get anything US based but they were able to port my number. I had to deal with tech support and they were fantastic.

Cons

It's a little clunky, but I am adapting to it. I think I need a sim card in to use it for calls, which isn't ideal.

7.0/10
Michelle L.

This is awful

Reviewed on 2018/10/04

I feel this was a money making scheme to begin with, the service is not great at all, there are definite issues with the software, which was fine to deal with when it is free. There is no customer service department... good luck!

Pros

I like the fact that you can have an additional phone number on your mobile number.

Cons

when I signed up it was free. I was using it for two years, I gave all my customers that number, then Sideline decided to start charging for their service. How could I change my business number now and let EVERYONE know?

1.0/10
Samantha V.

Great for side business

Reviewed on 2017/01/08

Considering this product is free, it has great features. I use it to run my part-time business, that doesn't warrant another line.

Pros

Cheap and easy to use.

Cons

Calls and texts don't always come/go through. Slightly unreliable.

Jason Y.

My go to choice for adding a 2nd phone number to my phone.

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

They provide me an exclusive phone number for my business on my existing phone so that I don't have to carry and 2nd.

Pros

Sideline seemed like the obvious choice for me when I reviewed a few options for having a 2nd phone number for my business. I wanted to use the same phone for both my personal and business number and Sideline works seamlessly for me on my iPhone in that way. Was very easy to set up and configure, and I have had no issues with using it whatsoever.