Showing 1 059 reviews of 938

Church Windows

Web based and hosted management software for churches

Showing 1 059 reviews of 938
Bill G.

A time saver!!

Reviewed on 2021/02/09

We moved from a spreadsheet reporting method to Church Windows for recording church members into a data base that offers many uses. Later, we added the Donation module and this was the greatest asset for the software. First in importance was the accuracy of the entry and the availability of almost instant reports. It allows us to produce a very accurate statement of giving for tax purposes and allows us to produce these statements in a very short time.

Pros

The software offers the user the ability to record data in an accurate way and therefore, produce an accurate report. Moving from an Excel spreadsheet method, this allows a more accurate product and allows for a multitude of reports in many formats.

Cons

If I were to chose a negative, I suppose it would be the learning curve. While there are many resources offered by the support staff, it takes a good bit of time to really appreciate the many functions offered by the program.

Don W.

Church Windows is a mixed blessing.

Reviewed on 2020/01/15

We use Church Windows to run and administer a medium sized church (About 150 active members), and have in the past used other software for the same purpose. From the point of view of the user interface, Church Windows is far superior to all the others -- when it is working. Which is about 70% of the time. The rest of the time I am attempting to fix its frequent connectivity issues.

Pros

The User Interface is intuitive, powerful, and well designed. The Accounting module in particular is quite sophisticated, containing many standard and specialized reports. Our accountant loves it. It's modules are well integrated, and when it is working, it works beautifully. The local version, (as opposed to the Web version) is reasonably priced.

Cons

It is very touchy, installation wise. Wireless networking is not supported; neither are APUs, you MUST have CPUs in all Church Windows PCs for it to function reliably. It periodically loses connectivity, and sometimes requires reinstalls in order to correct problems. I am the administrator of the system, and frankly, if the users didn't like it so much (particularly the treasurer), I'd suggest a change. I am underwhelmed by their tech support; they tend to disclaim responsibility for problems, claiming networking issues, Windows issues, etc., are the cause even though no other software we use seems to have the problem.

Patricia S.

Long-time user

Reviewed on 2019/05/24

The church Session likes the Income and Expense Statement that they are given each month. Also, reports for individual committees.

Pros

I have used Church Windows at two different churches. Compared to other church software I have used, Church Windows is superior in ease of use, and support. The cost is very affordable. .
Support is excellent, especially using e-mail.

Cons

I would like to see more ability to build reports. Sometimes it is frustrating trying to get the information needed.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Patricia,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to submit a review of Church Windows Software.

Your input is truly appreciated and helps make Church Windows better.

Please let us know if you have questions by calling us at 800-533-5227 or email us at [email protected]

Useful

Reviewed on 2019/05/20

I like using Church Windows. It has been good for our congregation.

Pros

The modules and how payroll and donations work with accounting.

Cons

Having to use an "accounting" rather than "financial" module. I don't like having to enter bills and pay them.

Jerry B.

Difficulty Converting to Church Windows

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

I would not recommend this system for someone who is not knowledgeable in terms of accounting systems. The biggest issue, in my mind, is the way the donation module has to tie into the accounting system. In other words the total donations for a week must be exactly what is deposited in the bank. This my be great from an audit perspective, but it makes for difficulty on a weekly basis. The support is excellent and the Church Windows staff patiently answer my questions.

Pros

I like the features of Church Windows but the fact that the donations and accounting are integrated make it difficult to utilize on a weekly basis.

Cons

We are currently using a spread sheet program to record donations and are using Money Counts for our accounting system. The membership and donations modules were fairly easy to implement but the accounting system is more difficult. We have spent two years implementing the accounting system and are not finished.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Jerry,

A Valuable Tool for Church Administration

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

Overall, Church Windows has served us well, and we would be unlikely to consider switching to a new church software program. There is untapped functionality for us within the current suite of modules - for example, we have not historically used all the options for tracking attendance and communicating with members. We look forward to making even better use of it as time permits our secretary and volunteers to learn how to use those parts of the program.

Pros

We use Church Windows for accounting, payroll, membership records, and donation tracking, so it is an integral part of our church administration. Because we are careful to enter data accurately and use the suite of software systematically, Church Windows is an excellent way for us to manage information and make timely reports to church leaders. We like having one software package to handle so many of our functions, and there is some efficiency to the learning curve because of similarities across the various modules. One of the best things about Church Windows is the quality of the tech support. Our annual fee allows us to contact the support staff whenever we have questions about how to do something or correct something, and since the software is used by several individuals (a staff person and church volunteers) with varying degrees of expertise, questions do arise. The tech support staff is knowledgeable, clear, and responsive to both email and phone inquiries. That helps keep our system running like a well-oiled machine!

Cons

Some of the modules seem less user-friendly to us. For example, the Donations module where we record individuals' giving and generate reports for tax purposes is not intuitive to use, and we found it very difficult to set up quarterly and annual statements in the form and format that we desired, when we began using Donations when the software publisher updated an earlier Church Windows module, Contributions. We interacted extensively with tech support in the course of that transition, and, although they were as helpful as possible, we felt that the software was less flexible than we would like. So, the bottom line is that it can take some effort to learn how to use the software, and in an environment where there is turnover in the church office or among the volunteers handling church administration, that is a bit of an obstacle.

Melissa T.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great features but not always uiser friendly

Reviewed on 2019/05/20

Despite the above reasons, I am very happy with Church Windows. It gets the job done and the reports are clear and concise (when I can locate the ones I need!). The customer service is second to none. They have always gotten back to me the same day and they are wonderful about walking me through things that I do not understand.

Pros

The features are really great. It has everything we need and even some things that we don't! The reports are clear and concise and there is a variety as far as what types/kinds of reports are available.

Cons

The user-friendliness ability is lacking. There seem to be way too many steps to do one task. Also, it is not compatible with our label machine so we have to do our labels though the program provided by the label maker (Dymo) instead of through Church Windows, which is what we would prefer. One thing I really, really wish that Church Windows offered was the ability to separate families/people into groups that we choose as opposed to the default groups. There is also no way to do a mass delete of people/families, this is especially inconvenient for people who have only attended once or twice or for a function of one kind or another. Instead, I have to go through the entire list of people one by one and delete them. If I had a couple of days to devote just to that task, then maybe I could get it done but I don't so I can't! There should be a way for people to automatically drop off the rolls after "X" amount of time. It is a huge hassle to manually go through 1000+ people in order to see who needs to be dropped or moved to inactive.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Melissa,

Fred M.

Church Widows Software Review

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

I have been using this product for many years and have, despite the "cons" I have listed, found it to be a very usable and functional product. When our church was audited we came away with a very positive review.

I have recommended this software to several churches that were using QuickBooks.

ps. I have used other church accounting software in the past and I know there is church accounting (fund accounting) software that handles fund accounting with great ease but the price of this software is far beyond what a small church could easily afford. Church Windows is a far better product for church operations than QuickBooks.

Pros

Solid software. Software provides a solid foundation for small church accounting operation at a cost that a small church can afford. It is easy to use with flexible reports. It's focus is built around churches and church activity. It does not try to be all things to all like QuickBooks does. Because of this, in my opinion it is a much better product for church fund accounting and member needs than QuickBooks.

Customer support is good. When there is an issue or question I have found the support team to be very knowledgeable of their product and easy to deal with.

Cons

Because of the way fund accounting is implemented in Church Windows a great deal of work, caution and consistence must be observed to keep Church Windows balances matched to multiple actual bank accounts. Making payments from multiple bank accounts different bank accounts does not work. All payments must be made from the same account and then funds must be transferred to cover payments.

Some improvements should be done to provide more information in some screens. Tech support has not been open to providing additional information to some reports and screens.

There are some inconsistency between application modules layouts that take a little "getting used to." These are minor issues though.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Fred,

Rebecca S.

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Most folk who work or serve as lay leaders in a church have an clear understanding of the business end of things. Because Church Windows software is specifically tailored for churches, it enables me to report information in a manner that is easily understood over a broad spectrum of skill levels. They offer tutorials for all their modules and their customer service is second to none. Its a very rare thing to not receive a call back the same day I place a support call. Their staff are courteous, knowledgeable, and well trained. Over the last 19 years I have recommended Church Windows many, many times and will continue to do so in the future!

Pros

I've been using Church Windows since 1999. I currently use the Membership, Contribution and Accounting modules. They've come a long in the last 19 years and they are constantly upgrading their software as the market demands. Over the years they continue to solicit, and implement, suggestions from their customers. It's one thing to sell a product, but its another thing entirely to keep folks satisfied with your product for almost 20 years!

Cons

Probably the reports features, but that is mostly due to my reluctance to try creating custom-made reports. Its one of those things that you get out of it what you put into it - so no fault to Church Windows, just me.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Rebecca,

Maureen P.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Rather keep using what we have than to try to learn something "better."

Reviewed on 2019/06/01

I dont know if we have solved anything but it does seem to make us feel the finances are correct by using this program. I feel for the ones that use nothing like in small Churches.

Pros

I like that we can call for support and almost all the time they are very helpful even for those of us that are very basic in knowledge. I like that membership, finances , receipts etc are all intertwined together. Not sure if there is anything better for a Church or not but Im not willing to relearn a system. It took our team awhile to get switched from Financial to Accounting and we struggled but like anything we adjusted - dont know how to compare as far as other systems but this seems to be fine. When someone suggested we try a spreadsheet we all said NO.

Cons

I dont like that i have to manually enter my figures from payroll when i go to Pay Bills With Outstanding Balance - with Financials those figures were automatically brought over and there was no chance of making a typo each month. It worries me every month i will make a mistake. Some of the processes seem repetitious to get to the end result but we have gotten used to it now. It takes 4 steps to enter things compared to the Financial program you used to have.
Its also hard to wait for help when we call.............several of us only work several hours a week so when we go in we are not there for the whole week to wait for a call. We may be there 2 hours and leave until we come again. We have upgraded to the premium which helps but it is still hard when we have nothing else to do when waiting on support.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Maureen,

Over 15 years of Church Windows Use

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

The company has always been amazing with their customer service.

Pros

I love that everything is linked together - from income to expenses to membership

Cons

I cannot manipulate the reports as much as I would like to to print them out the way committee members would like to see them. Since the update to Membership, it takes a lot longer to get the reports I want and also to figure out how to get what I used to with just a couple of clicks.

Also, I have no idea how much this affected my membership since that last major overhaul of the Membership modual, but over time, I have been finding that several families have one person whose membership information has been lost and the program will not let me edit or delete them to recreate them. I do not want to have duplicate individuals in the system, but that is what I will have to do to recreate the needed information. I have been too busy to look into this problem or to contact Church Windows, since I don't know how extensive a problem this might be.

Your input is truly appreciated and helps make Church Windows better.

If you're having problems with the new Membership features, please call technical support for help.

Stacy C.
  • Industry: Accounting

Improvements

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

It is has been a good experience in the last 3 years I have used it. Coming from other business accounting software has helped me to understand and navigate the system. It has also helped me to see where improvements can be made in the Church Windows software. Overall Church windows does handle the needs of this church as far as accounting and membership are concerned.

Pros

This software is easy to maneuver through. It is very basic and handles all the needs of our fund accounting.

Cons

There are some things that I feel could be added to help the user. The ability to "close" each month so that no transactions can be accidentally be entered into previous months. The search feature in the Membership portion is not user friendly also. I think warning features for using the same Invoice number, Check number and other important header items should be put into place. Reporting is fine if the reports you want are already set up but the methods are very cumbersome to try and create new reports.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Stacy,

David G.

Excellent Software

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

Church Windows provides us with great accountability. Not only does it manage our accounting, but it provides us with clear and understandable accountability as to the churches' handling of the finances. Some other financial software is very difficult to understand and the reports require some accounting knowledge to read and understand. With Church Windows, everyone on our board and anyone who we desire to be accountable to can easily read and understand the reports generated by the software without any accounting knowledge at all. This is key to good financial stewardship.

Pros

This software is very functional. Then various modules work together so the same data does not have to be entered multiple times. It is also easy to use and provides great reporting for board meetings and other financial reviews.

Cons

Probably the icons. They are rather cartoonish and not real professional in appearance, although, that is common in the software industry today.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

David,

Donna C.

My View

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

It is still a good program for accounting, payroll and donations(still working on this one).

Pros

Software for the most part is pretty good. I have used the old version and now the newest version so I'm still learning. It was a smooth transition but there are clearly more steps involved to do some of the same things you could do in the older version much quicker and smoother.

Cons

It would have to be the time it takes to do the simplest things like printing the reports. You have to go through several key strokes before you can print. This is just a small sample of what I don't like.
The other thing is our church has had to go outside of church windows to come up with different ways of taking care of our membership. The membership module doesn't seem to reach out to the up and coming church and its communication with its congregation.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Donna,

Debbie T.

Church Windows Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

It was most important to us to find a software that linked Contributions to Accounting; Church Windows does that seamlessly. The other modules that are offered are a bonus! Church Windows offers the best accounting program that is geared specifically toward churches.

Pros

There are actually many things to like about this software: the transparency that each transaction creates, the numerous reports and groups that can be generated, the helpful webinars and the online support center.

Cons

Church Windows is a "true accounting" software. If a person does not have a more-than-basic knowledge of accounting, the set up and use of the software is definitely a challenge. Thankfully, the support team is ready to answer any question. It would be helpful if the software offered a "test of transaction" option for audit purposes.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Debbie,

Cindy F.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Church Windows, what I think?

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

I have worked on Church Windows for almost 20 years now. I have seen many changes, many updates and a few conversions. Church Windows is always working on making their software better. They listen to their customers and try to improve. I think it is pretty user friendly and their training seminars/webinars are excellent. Support is very important to me and they are by far the best support system I have every had the pleasure of working with.

Pros

Church Windows can pretty much do anything I want it to do and more. I love being able to export any of the information in to a different format report. (i.e. one that most everyone if use to like Excel) I like that the software ranges for the financial, accounting side to the membership. There is so much that this software can do.

Cons

Sometimes there are many steps to get something done.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Cindy,

Bonny S.

Best I have found

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

I have been working at my job for the last year using Church Windows. I was asked to look around to find a better software as soon as I had the time. But after shopping around and comparing other programs, I convinced them to stay with Church Windows and just switch it to the cloud. I love the tech support, and I love how easy it is to figure out. Over all, after shopping around for other programs, I can honestly say this program is perfect for us.

Pros

Church Windows has amazing tech support, and is perfect for what our church fund accounting! So easy to use and has every module we need. I also love the way the reports look!

Cons

When we transferred our Church Windows to the cloud based option, I noticed a lot of lagging. Where I used to be able to work quickly, I now have to go slower to allow the system to keep up.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Bonny,

Karen F.

Church Windows Review

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Church windows has helped with Budgeting for our church. I can keep better track of donations and comparison reports are extremely helpful. They let us know if their is a slow down of donations or an increase in expenses, this helps us deal with these issues in a timely manner.

Pros

I like how each part (Accounting, Payroll, Donations, Members) are all linked together. You can post in one and the program transfers to the needed places. It is easy to use.

I also love that if I have a problem or a question, I can call support and have an answer within a reasonable amount of time. Support also has a lot of patience when it has taken me a while to comprehend.

Cons

There really isn't anything I don't like about this software.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Karen,

Barbara S.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Happy Church Windows User!

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

When I first began using the software I was unsure of it. But as time went along with the assistance of the support staff I have grown to understand how to process my entries. It has been very easy to provide most of the information I have been asked for. The staff is more than willing to accept suggestions for future implementation.

Pros

I love the way it tracks various funds. Processing payroll is a breeze!

Cons

In the beginning, I had some difficulties as I was a long time Quickbooks user. Getting to a specific entry takes a few more steps than I would like, but it is something that is easy to overcome. If I ever have an issue or question, the support staff is wonderful to work with. they don't make me fell like I should already know the answer.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Barbara,

Nancy T.

Church Windows for Donations and Membership

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

All of our contributions are reported through church windows and we send statements multiple times per year. I love that I can easily (very easily) go to previous year information for both giving and pledges. We also use the membership function to keep our membership database up to date, record attendance for worship and other events and all of our teams and groups. The options are endless.

Pros

It is user friendly. We often have volunteers doing some of our membership database entering and therefore need to train on a regular basis. It is easy to teach and the video trainings are very helpful.

Cons

The reporting functions are difficult in my opinion. I often can't get exactly what I want. I also wish it was easier to 'find' terminated people.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Nancy,

Jan B.

GOOD CHURCH SOFTWARE PROGRAM

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

Basically, everything is in one place. We added the payroll module to get everything the Church needs. There is a wide variety or reports available that seem to cover all the needs.

The customer support has always been fast and efficient.

Cons

As an accountant, I would prefer a more debit/credit based system. However, the vast majority of users will do better with the program as it is written.

It helps to go through their manuals when beginning with the program to help learn the intricacies of the software.

The payroll software needs some upgrading with the tax forms and current requirements of both the IRS and our state of Georgia.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Jan,

Cathy D.

Easy and simple to use

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

We have used this program for 15+ years and it has improved over the year and made doing daily bill paying, membership, payroll, etc. so easy. Updates are done regularly and easy to install and maintain.

Cons

Some of the updates made some features a little more difficult to maneuver. We are a small church and some of the extra components did not directly affect our use, but made some of our more simple tasks a little harder, i.e. some of the queries being built from scratch, and the directory building was confusing. I think a basic template could have been set up and churches could add to it rather than having to build the entire thing from scratch.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Cathy,

Kelly D.

A Church Management System For You

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

I'm able to enter data and keep track of individuals, attendance, and events.

Pros

There are features that I am really learning to enjoy: things like how the family is set up and the points of data for each individual person. Having a tab for "make family inactive" is useful, as well as being able to hit that again when the family returns to church. There are many reports with valuable information and the church directory is especially detailed.

Cons

Creating a unique template for a giving statement has been tricky, as well as finding where it is for the next time I need it. Entering contributions has been a learning curve when we upgraded Church Windows.

Response from Computer Helper Publishing

Kelly,

We love this company

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

Although I am not trained on the Accounting module of Church Windows, the integration of the different areas makes it easy to find needed information.
We have been with Church Windows for many years and have had nothing but positive experiences with the company.

Pros

This software has all the pieces of other software but they do not have the superb response of Church Windows. Any problem I have ever had has been answered within 20 minutes with clarity and patience. I especially like the 20-minute on-line workshops. They are interactive, concise and extremely helpful.

Cons

I suppose the thing I like least is that the software does not enter the information automatically when the data is placed on my desk.