KPMG Spark

Online bookkeeping specifically aimed at small businesses

4,5
4,4
Joanne L.
Industry: Higher Education

Not for everyone. Software and Support are excellent, but not geared to my business needs.

Reviewed on 2018/06/21

First, it's not only software, there is a person at the company that is assigned to you and knowledgable about your account.
It helped me to get on top of my finances and get them organized. However, it's more for business and does not meet my needs. I switched to managing budgets and transactions at YNAB.

Pros

What I liked most was that I had a dedicated bookkeeper that I could work with, who was available and accessible. The software and communications process was easy. I didn't wast time trying to track anyone down. Response times are great. Everyone was easy to talk to and to work with. Polite, helpful, and responsive.

Cons

My "business" is low transaction with over fewer than 10 bank accounts. One account is a business account, the others (linked) are personal accounts. The issues I ran into are:

1) I needed reports by each of the accounts, that was not easily generated by bookly, my dedicated person had to do it manually. It was wonderful that they did, but it wasn't always correct (because it needed a lot of info from me) and so the reports weren't as useful as I had hoped.

2) Unforeseen problems: The "view only" access to my (personal) bank accounts triggered major problems. That second username triggered all my lined accounts to be unlinked and auto-payments stopped. I was NOT notified by the bank! My mortgage was late and I have to live with remove the late mark on my credit report.

3)Taxes: I wanted to submit them on time had my information to Bookly well in advance of April 15. They were not done on time, and they only have paper submissions now, so I had to print and mail all the forms. Furthermore, because they are submitted on paper, it takes several more weeks to have them processed by the IRS (and probably the states too).

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Kenny B.
Company size: Self Employed

Bookly charged me for services I never used.

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2017/07/10

Nothing but pain.

Pros

The software and concept are good but the company does not conduct itself professionally. They made assurances that they could come up with a solution but ultimately, they failed to do so and still wanted me to pay.

Cons

I received a trial subscription from Bookly and started working with some of their personnel. The staff were very friendly but were not knowledgable enough to figure out the complexity of my needs. Note that my needs were not that complicated. After trying to find a workable solution for me, they deemed I needed to use their partner software named Xero. After multiple attempts and phone conferences, they still were unable to come up with a system that would meet our needs. Subsequently, they ceased correspondence and since I was on a free trial, I let it go. Several months later I noticed on my credit card statement that they had been charging me monthly for their services. I reached out to them again multiple times and long story short, they wouldn't refund my money. I have all the emails to corroborate this story and ultimately, I had to go to my credit card company which disputed the charges and refunded my money. Needless to say, I was shocked and disappointed that Bookly would not refund the charges they had applied for work they never did. It's sad that I had to go to my credit card company to get things right.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Desmond T.

Amazing Serice

Reviewed on 2018/08/15

I’m having an Amazing experience wiht Bookly! If you’re looking for bookkeeping for your business, this is the best service that’s out there, and you can’t beat the price for the value they provide which is really a lot of value. They actually should charge more for the service, but I don’t mind paying the current fees. However, I’m sure they’ll increase the price in the future as that’s normal for any business. Do yourself a favor and go ahead and get started NOW. You’ll thank yourself later, as you’ll more time to do what you do best in your own business.

Pros

Easy to use as the service connects directly to your account.
Weekly emails regarding your P&L
Easy to reach your accountant.
Affordable price.
Amazing support.
There’s so much more, I don’t have much time to list everything.

Cons

I don’t have any cons for Booky. The service has been so Amazing, I actually don’t have any cons.

Elisa E.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Good booking system but lacks some basic functions

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

Great for scheduling and booking.

Pros

This is a simple to using booking program that you can upgrade with add-ons. It is super easy to use and allows you to keep track of appointments.

Cons

It tends to get very glitchy and as wordpress updates, they don't release patches as quickly as they probably should. If you email customer service, they do respond, but sometimes it takes a while to get a response.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Ryan L.

Value is worth the cost

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/03/01

The value is 100% worth the cost. Bookly's accounting software isn't as high speed as as quickbooks. However, they make it up with their customer support. The cost of bookkeeping from Bookly is best I've seen on the market.

Pros

It is simple and user friendly.

Cons

I am not able to upload my own transactions VIA a CSV file. And the limited amount of reports the software is able to generate.

Paul R.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Game Changer

Reviewed on 2019/01/03

Pros

Spark makes it easy for me to focus on my customers and not spending my time worried about keeping order of my books. The staff is super helpful and always available to answer any random question I may have about how my money is flowing.

Cons

I Don't have anything that I would list as a con. Thank you Spark for letting me focus on whats important.

Greg M.
Industry: Insurance

Great service and easy to use.

Reviewed on 2018/01/19

Pros

Support behind platform is what stands out. The layout and reporting is just what most small business's need.

Cons

An occasional glitch in the reports happens, but the support after the fact is great. Other than that no problems.

Jeremy E.

Great Programs

Reviewed on 2017/06/05

Its all in one and easy to use.

Pros

I like how it has everything in one. I can do my invoicing and keep up with all my finances. I do a lot of work out of office and can keep up with all my billing and finances on my Ipad. I highly recommend the program

Cons

I have been trying to change the name of my company, I can't find how to do that. We renamed our company. I also am having problems downloading my bank account information into Bookly. I haven't contacted support yet.

Sumit S.
Industry: Retail

Had one of the worst experience with them, using their bookkeeping and tax filing services!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/08/02

unnecessary stress, the thing I thought they would help solve with their service

Pros

- Supposedly cheaper than a traditional bookkeeper, but the amount of time you spend correcting them is not worth it.
- Friendly sales people, but poor problem solving skills. I had to follow up with them constantly to get work done.

Cons

Everything. They could not deliver what they promised. Over-promise, under-deliver should be their moto. Plus they have a gap in their tax filing process, but they would not own up to it. It has cost me more than IRS fees due to their oversight and mistake.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Rebecca W.
Industry: Consumer Services
Company size: Self Employed

I actually look forward to financial meetings!

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2017/02/07

I could not be happier or more impressed with the bookly team. They are wonderful to work with, really know what they're doing and have an amazing work ethic, while still managing to be calm, friendly and relaxing to work with. They keep coming to my financial rescue time and time again. They are also helping a complete procrastinator and slacker like myself get ahead of problems and truly be on top of my businesses finances. The most amazing part is how little time it is taking me to make that happen. They have streamlined the process and the amount of work required from me is minimal. i truly could not imagine finding a better financial service.

Pros

Cons

Nothing. It's amazing.

Travis G.
Company size: Self Employed

Very Helpful. As a start-up, we need all the help we can get, especially with financial things.

Reviewed on 2017/05/26

financial organization, everything in one place, friendly service, company that can handle us now matter how small we are or how big we become.

Pros

Easy to understand and intuitive. I like the fact that each expense and income source can be categorized.

Michael A.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Best decision for my company

Reviewed on 2017/01/27

I knew I was getting in over my head and needed a partner so I could focus on my growing business. Bookly is that partner for me. I know I'm in good hands and they take care of my bookkeeping, have a CPA for my regulatory questions, and offer payroll to set me up with confidence for future growth.

Do yourself a favor and partner with them today so you can focus on what do what you do best too.

Pros

Easy to use and the support team is great

Cons

Looking forward to a few. New features in the billing module

Jesse O.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Great product that I would recommend to others.

Reviewed on 2017/08/02

Ease of use.

Pros

Quick access to reporting, whereas before, I had to email my bookkeeper and wait for several days before I could get the same reports. Also is something is miscategorized, there is easily functionality to recategorize the expense.

Cons

Sometimes there is some lead time to get questions/issues resolved. This has improved as both my bookkeeper Dora and myself have gotten accustomed to our needs.

Stephanie E.

So far so good!

Reviewed on 2017/10/06

Looking forward to getting books up to date real time and up to date whenever I want to see where our company is financially.

Pros

Seems easy to navigate, easy reporting functions. The bookkeeper assigned is readily available to get everything set up.

Cons

Cannot always do auto loading of credit union accounts. It has been a longer process to get set-up and my books caught up.

Ghanshyam P.
Industry: Food & Beverages

It's a wonderful service that keeps me up to date with my business.

Reviewed on 2017/09/12

It keeps me up to date about my finanaces.

Pros

I love how simple it is to and how affordable it is. The best part is that I am assigned to one person who looks after all my books.

Cons

I love it but I wish there was a mobile app for it especially for IOS so I can have Bookly with whenever and whenever.

Ashley L.

CCF Bookly Review

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2017/03/21

Bookly has been tremendous in helping me organizing my goods and keeping me up to date. There level of engagement is great... they are there to remind and nudge you to get the important things done.

Pros

ease of use. system is comprehensive but easy to use. I like the reports

Cons

going back and reconciling

Erin S.

Bookly is Awesome

Reviewed on 2017/03/03

Bookly saves me so much time! Especially because book keeping isn't something I want to spend my time doing!

Industry: Education Management

Professional services for a Startup and into the future

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Very pleased. Love Michael, our bookkeeper

Pros

Love the dashboard and ease of viewing transactions.

Cons

Invoicing. I need a paper invoice so I can set up autopay

Kimlan D.
Industry: Computer Software

Review Mar 2017

Reviewed on 2017/03/02

It has been a great experience working with assigned staff at Bookly. My account are up to date with detail report every week.

Pros

ease of use

Cons

Categories cannot be in a tree format with sub categories

Charlie H.
Industry: Telecommunications

Not Pleased

Reviewed on 2017/01/27

Problem with checking account linking up again, have sked several times that I get a text to
my phone, none as of this date. Someone was to call me during working hours to fix problem, no voice mails to date 01-27-2017, not having very good results so far. I thought this would be great?

Pros

Cons

A little more detail or more options with the chart of accounts

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Industry: Financial Services

Bookkeeping Software For All

Reviewed on 2018/12/11

Pros

This software is fantastic. I used it under the original name (Bookly) and have been a customer ever since. What the business is doing is wonderful and you can't ask for better customer service. You work with a specific account manager that helps you with any and all bookkeeping issues.

Cons

The software is in its early stage and is improving. Some features you want added may take a little time, but rest assured it will happen.

Robert D.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

This is a service I use and suggest to others

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Keep my books straight and my taxes on time.

Pros

A professional tool with great features. They do my bookkeeping and my taxes with minimal effort on my part.

Cons

Was clunky in the past. They do not provide advice.

Berk D.

Great support

Reviewed on 2017/10/03

Pros

Organizing Expenses, support for bookkeeping. Helpful staff. User Interface, Connection to my bank accounts

Cons

I would love to have a better month to month comparison. And year to year too in that sense. thank you

Paul G.
Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Awesome Accounting for Small Business

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/01/04

I love KPMG Spark, it makes doing a mundane job that you don't want to do easier, faster and most of all accurate!

Pros

The projects feature that was recently added allows a user to break down the financial data for a specific project or cost center. In our case this was most helpful in determining which trips were most or least profitable. Which in turn would make it easier to identify problems with our marketing strategy. This software is awesome.

Cons

The linking of accounts is good too, but when I change the password (maybe because I've been prompted to) I have to go in to the software to relink it - not that it's a big deal, but my bank makes us change our login every 90 days. Just a pain that's all.

Brad H.
Industry: Computer Software

Bookly's Amazing!

Reviewed on 2017/03/05

I use Bookly for my growing startup and I love it! I spend about a half hour/week viewing reports and making sure everything's classified correctly but for the most part it runs itself and I don't have to touch the bookkeeping, which is exactly how I want it.
Communication with my bookkeeper is SUPER easy! I just send them a message through the service and they're very fast at responding. When my bookeeper has has questions about how to categorize certain transactions they make it super easy for me to answer their questions in no time through a quick link.
The price is unbeatable for the service you're getting and the time it saves me.
Any time I need to send a report to an external source it's right there, easy to download and send.
And they built me an incredible financial projection model for an unbeatable price.
Can't speak more highly of Bookly and the pain it relieves for me.