Escapia

Vacation rental software and guest management system

Bethany S.

A Big Complicated Software.

Reviewed on 2017/01/05

Escape has a lot of features, and potentially a lot of power, but it's so complicated that it's easy to miss a step and mess something up badly. Almost nothing about the software is user-friendly or intuitive, everything is convoluted and complicated, and requires many steps and a lot of double-checking.

This also applies to EscapiaNET, which is also not as straightforward as one would hope since property information shows up differently on different platforms. I would count this one of the most useful features of Escapia. We have enjoyed being able to integrate with Glad To Have You and use that for guest communication and contracts, and we also push our properties out to other platforms. EscapiaNET is not without flaws and we have had issues even integrating with VRBO (which is also owned by HomeAway so you would think that would be easy), mostly because of the number of complicated, easy-to-forget steps to make sure everything is perfect in Escape. However, to be fair, I don't know if integration through any other property management software would provide better integration. As it does seem like a very challenging thing to do well.

Pros

Escape customer support has done a good job troubleshooting and explaining how things work when I contact them. There are also lots of training resources, self-help articles, explanatory videos, etc, available. I have also heard that the Escape accounting features are useful and thorough. I have not had any experience with the accounting side of Escapia.

Cons

One of the things that have been most frustrating about Escapia is the Owner web feature, which is supposed to provide an owner portal where our property owners can log in and see property details, upcoming reservations, owner documents, etc. Owner web itself is pretty limited, which is fine if that's what you want. One problem is that as of now owners cannot reset their password, and so they always have to contact us if they forget it so that we can change it for them. Another challenge has been that many of our owners own more than one property and that for accounting purposes each of these units has to be set up with different owners. That means that when one of those owners logs into the owner portal they can only see one of their properties unless they set up separate logins for each property, which includes separate email addresses. But then those email addresses will automatically be where their owner statements are sent, so if they want all the owner's statements to go to one email, they will have to forward them. We do not want to make our owners jump through hoops like this. We want their experience to be as simple and streamlined as possible.

Escapia also lacks some features (such as automated emails, simpler reports, better filters for sending a guest communication, and the ability to add attachments to that communication) that would make the software more functional. I have also heard from our maintenance and housekeeping teams that Escapia is challenging for them to understand and use as they would like to. Basically, we've ended up using other software and strategies to fill in the gaps and give us the features we want, which is a little disappointing considering the seeming hugeness and complexity of Escapia.

Response from HomeAway Software

Hi Bethany,
We apologize for the delay in response. We are continuously working on new features and enhancements and your Client Solutions Manager will be happy to share those with you. Please contact us at [email protected] and use the title of ¿Related to Capterra¿ if you would like. It sounds like you already take advantage of our training, support, and other resources, but we would love to show you what other tools we have that might be helpful for you and your team.
HomeAway Software

Tere L.

Escapia has gotten bigger and better over the last 7 years that we have been using the...

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Pros

Ease of use. The reservation grid is simple and reliable, giving you an accurate overview of bookings and availability. The support staff is excellent. Someone always answers the phone and has the solution, it wasn't always like that a few years ago. There are plenty of options with rate rules. Making last minute adjustments is not overly time consuming.

Cons

I love to utilize the booking reports, they are very useful. I wish there were more specific reports.

Liz C.

Tremendous support staff, so patient and helpful.

Reviewed on 2017/11/22

There are so many great capabilities of the system, and we are a very small rental company, so there actually was more than we would have ever needed. We describe it as buying a Bentley when you really needed a Honda.

Pros

There is huge flexibility and capability with Escapia and the reporting functionality is vast. I know that when calling the support line, they are there to help and they do so with the utmost of professionalism and patience.

David W.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

The only PM software for me.

Reviewed on 2016/11/08

Escapia has the tools and support that makes our company successful. It is easy to use and offers the cross organizational reporting needed to track everything from housekeeping to service orders to revenue and beyond.

Pros

Ease of use.
Support team.
Constant updates.

Cons

Some reporting can be tricky to understand and/or lacking in key components.

Vivian H.

Escapapia Review

Reviewed on 2019/01/25

There have been a few snags here and there, but overall I think the software is great.

Pros

I love the features and ability to do everything I need to with one software. (accounting, Cleaning, Maintenance.

Cons

The LMS still has some kinks to work out.

Medicore Software In A Sea Of Mediocrity

Reviewed on 2019/12/11

Pros

Tries very hard to be an all in one solution, direct integration with HomeAway/VRBO, good customer support, the team is clearly working hard on improvements but it's a bit like trying to push a dinosaur up a hill.

Cons

Very disjointed, I often refer to it as frankenstein because it feels like all the modules were poorly connected together. Does not have an open API so integration with other systems is limited. Overall the software is very old and outdated and while improvements are on the horizon, they are coming slowly and in the meanwhile my patience is running out.

Gary B.

Moved Over from Entech

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

Booking increased, frees up time, and support, is great.

Pros

It is integrated, and easy to use, and is very functional. No need to worry about "updates" they are done in the background.

Cons

The rate tables, or pricing plan, as it is called.

Alexander S.

Escapia for Vacation rental Managers

Reviewed on 2014/10/15

We have been clients of Escapia since 2009 and found it to be one the best platforms for our call center to use when booking reservations. We have had many requests for software enhancement over this time period and have been pleasantly pleased with the Escapia's/Homeaway's response to our needs. The ease at which our staff at multiple levels is able to learn the use of the program is a time saver as well when we hire new staff. As we use the program more over time we do run into "wants" that are always taken under advisement and from time to time actually implemented, there are some opportunities for the program to be better in the housekeeping area and with Maintenance. Over all this is one of the best software platforms available in the market today and comes close to a custom program but without the expense or cost of a custom design team. Its very reassuring to know we have a team at Homeaway devoted to improving and looking at ways to enhance their product for the industry and it's users needs! We believe that due to the investment and the personnel devoted to Escapia by Homeaway, that the product will be around for a very long time which is important to us in terms of the future and for us not needing to make a change in software as we grow.

Candace W.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

It’s a breeze to check on my vacation rental investment

Reviewed on 2020/05/16

Easy access anytime to my property’s performance is ideal!

Pros

Up to date information on my vacation rental property investment is a click away any time. I can see when my condo is rented and compare month to month or year to year. Makes bookkeeping a breeze!

Cons

Gives a great overview of a property investment’s performance but not too nitty gritty to be overwhelming.

Don C.

Escapia Review

Reviewed on 2019/05/23

Overall poorly conceived, poorly developed, poorly serviced.

Pros

Thought it would be a good idea to stay with our former software vendor.

Cons

Slow user response time.
Crashes two or three times per day per user.
Tech support blames end user for server crashes - even though we are running Win 10 on Intel NUCs on commercial grade internet service.
Sales representative clueless about the poor performance of the software.
System crashes while trainer is demonstrating the software - "hmm, that shouldn't be happening..."
Awkward use of folios inside of bookings inside of reservations - couldn't make it any more convoluted.
Service order costs post automatically as payables - before the service order is completed.
Reservation calendar does not show departure dates.
System patched together so no consistent and logical task flow for end users.
Guests, owners, vendors - and users - are all lumped together in one contact database.
Does not carry property codes along with accounting transactions.
Poor drill-down capabilities.
Service order and housekeeping work scheduling is missing.

Mike O.

Great Investment!

Reviewed on 2014/10/21

We've been using Escapia since January 2012 and have been very pleased with its positive impact on our operation, especially in streamlining our booking and schedule management and payment processes. We also appreciate the reporting capabilities and management tools that have given us more and better insight into our vacation rental operations. We do not use the embedded accounting system and can't speak to that . We do take advantage of Escapia.net and have recently integrated online booking capabilities with HomeAway and so far, so good. Our rating reflects our satisfaction with the functionality that we use.

Jonah M.

I would be lost without them

Reviewed on 2014/10/21

This is by far the best software company out there for vacation rental management. Looking back, I honestly have no idea how I ran my business without them. Every aspect of Escapia from reservations, accounting, marketing partners, rate management, (the list goes on and on) has helped to grown my business and make me and my employees more efficient and more productive. I can not recommend this enough and would tell anyone that is involved in the vacation rental management that they absolutely need this software if they want to stay competitive.

Lanie D.

SEAMLESS, EFFICIENT SYSTEM

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

ROCK AT FIRST BUT TRANSITIONING IS DIFFICULT AND TO BE EXPECTED, BUT NOW WE LOVE THE SYSTEM!

Pros

THE LMS PROGRAM AND HOW AUTOMATED EVERYTHING IS

Cons

THE RATES SYSTEM IS AWFUL! TOO COMPLICATED

Carole S.

Comments from one of Escapia's earliest customers

Reviewed on 2016/11/08

Over the 15 years that we have used Escapia, we've tried to keep up with the many beneficial changes that the software offered. It's really a different product now and in related growth, we are a different company. But we are the ones with the boots on the ground in the community and have the relationship with the guests that is so vital to our success. We welcome opportunities provide feedback to keep the software relevant to all partners.

Paul D.

Excellent Software

Reviewed on 2014/10/17

We having been using Escapia software to run our vacation rental business for over 6 years. Great product and service. Integrates nicely with our web site. Support and Product improvements are consistently good. Would recommend.

Bradley D.

Escapia review

Reviewed on 2017/01/16

We have been using Escapia for several years now and the best part about it is that it is integrated to a full accounting suite and is part of Glad-To-Have-You which automatically sends information to guests along with a cool app. It does feel cobbled together at times and really needs some upgrades in regards to cleaning app and maintenance management. Also lead tracking of inquires is pretty basic.

Joy M.

Absolutely Over the Top Pleased with Escapia by HomeAway!

Reviewed on 2014/10/20

I made the decision that Escapia would suit our needs best (in Feb of 2014).The integration is very detailed, but I knew what the end goal was when I had researched Escapia. One determining factor in going with Escapia, was the fact that HomeAway was so active and aggressive in this industry. It only made sense to partner with the Giant and take advantage of all the opportunities it would offer my company.

The things that I consider absolute PROS: They have automated all the tedious/time consuming processes such as rate building & yield management that I would spend days and hours on with our old software & now I do in about 30 minutes. I have the option of building my own rules & rate tiers, depending on our need to maximize occupancy & revenue. After my initial rules are built, I do not have to go in and spend 2 hours a day to make sure this is done..Escapia made it simple & it DOES the work for me. My saved time = revenue saved and made because I can now focus on new projects to produce new revenue streams.

Escapia also has so many opportunities to partner with multiple booking sites, that I have "new eyes" looking and finding my company every hour of every day.

For our marketing platform, I struggle with tracking and integrating between the time we developed a concept ->to putting it on our sites -> to launching the promotion(via any platform) ->to analytics->to eCommerce->to complete tracking. With our old software, it took sometimes a week to set all of that up from start to finish. With Escapia, I do it all at once, Again, so many saved hours and best of all ACCURATE Tracking and Conversion Reports & a websites that do what they are supposed to do: WORK.

They have support that answer and listen to the issue and most of the time walk you thru it and find the problem immediately and "teach" you how to address and fix it. That is worth the integration itself.

You have to do the work on the front end but after that it is pretty painless & we have more than made back the cost of the software in saved time, revenue, happy guests, our favorite: HAPPY OWNERS. The owner access is simple, easy & our owners are more than pleased with this aspect of Escapia & they have noticed the new and maximized exposure Escapia gives us.

I can say without hesitation, I made THE BEST choice for our company and could not be more pleased and my expectations have been blown away by Escapia and what it gives me.

Escapia has worked great for our companies needs.

Reviewed on 2017/11/14

As our business has grown the software has made our day to day work easier and more streamlined. Escapia has been great about adding and updating the product on a regular basis with customers imput.

Pros

We have used Escapia for years and have seen a lot of changes along the way. The software is easy to use and train new employees on.

Cons

Over the years we have found the the customer service to be challenging and the software does not handle long term rentals easily.

Suzanne T.

Best software out there for Property Managers

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

WE are very proud to be a part of the Escapia partnership with their software we have experienced tremendous growth year over year. By providing an excellent product we can spend more time on the things that matter.

Pros

Throughout the years our staff has worked with Barefoot, Property Plus and Property Boss. Escapia by far is the best choice for us. We like the grid view and the ease of reporting as well as the high level of support given by the customer service staff and account relations. If you advertise on HomeAway websites like VRBO the integration is seamless and easy. Great group of innovative individuals who are constantly trying to improve the software and stay ahead of the competitors

Cons

Sometimes there are a few too many steps to get things done, but when you provide feedback to the support staff they will work to improve things. We really feel like partners with with Escapia team.

Emily V.

If we leave Escapia, I quit.

Reviewed on 2016/11/09

The software is incredible. Support is a-ma-zing. Our Client Solutions Manager is possibly the most responsive person I've met in my whole life. Hands-down, my favorite thing about Escapia is that THEY are never satisfied with where they are. Any question I have or suggestion for improving functionality is taken seriously. I have never worked with any software (in this industry or any other) that is so in tune to what their clients want. I've told our business owner, "If we change software, I quit."

Pros

Escapia is never happy with the status quo. They listen to clients and make sure the software grows with our needs.

Cons

Check in! It's not functional. We go off-book and use a Google Spreadsheet. It has a long way to go.

Brian B.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Support is great but some changes to program seem rushed and not thought out well.

Reviewed on 2017/10/04

Escapia is a great retail rental reservation and property management software for vacation rental property managers. The system is always online and support is excellent. The industry is evolving quickly and Escapia tries to stay current.

Pros

The reservations section is very good, distribution partners, and support is great to communicate with. Trust the software and never reporting for reservations.

Cons

Lead management system, service orders, and some accounting reports are very challenging to use and we use outside software for these functions.

Bethany S.

Ugly and complicated, but mostly works

Reviewed on 2018/03/08

Pros

Escapia does do most of what it needs to. Especially from an accounting perspective, Escapia works for managing properties and owners, rates, fees, contracts, etc. Escapia also does integrate (with some flaws...) with a lot of other property softwares and listing sites. Finally, I have had mostly good experiences working with Escapia Support, and Homeaway Integration support when trying to figure out integration issues between Escapia and VRBO and other listing sites.

Cons

The sheer number of times that I had to contact support while using this product bear witness to the fact that it is not easy to use at all. Escapia can do a lot of things, but in order to get it to work you first have to be able to figure it out. There are all kinds of little nooks and crannies all over the software - boxes that have to be checked and extra steps that have to be remembered - if you want it to function. It's also not very pleasant to look at, which isn't a big deal, but also doesn't help. Compared to MyVR's interface Escapia just looks old and ugly. We gave up altogether on setting up an Escapia website, and went with MyVR instead.
Overall, Escapia does work for us, and does do what it needs to, but it's not a fun system to use.

Stefan H.

Escapia Review

Reviewed on 2016/11/08

Pros

The Grid - easy to navigate the Reports.
As I have now used Escapia for six years, and within my 3 companies I have had the pleasure and sometimes hard times with the software. I have seen it go through many versions and add on many functions that we have asked for. The customer service has always been great!

Cons

Reports need to be streamlined

Lashonne S.

Escapia

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

We are a call center and we service and help different properties with booking reservations. We work with over 12 different systems, and this is a favorite.

Pros

I love the Escapia system is easy to train agents on and easy to use.

Cons

It is hard sometimes for the agents to remember that the last night of stay is the day of check out.

Diane K.
  • Industry: Hospitality

escapia is great on many levels and you have some terrific associates. but there are still...

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

on line reservations. home away pm app.

Pros

The support team is great. The reservation system is also great. The marketing is also good. EAsy to use

Cons

Reviews do not transfer over to homeaway and vrbo listing correctly. does not talk to quick books in accounting. Service orders are not the easiest to use. needs work.