Practice Fusion

Cloud-based electronic health record platform

Latrice J.

I've been using Practice Fusion for a little over a year and I'd have to say it's so easy to...

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

The benefits greatly outweigh the disadvantages. I always have a peace of mind using this software with every use. I never have any issues logging in and if was to ever, resetting password is super easy. You have the option of resetting through a simple text to your phone or email with a 6 digit code to reset password. You can also access this software from anywhere in case you may need to adjust the schedule during non business hours.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the navigation. Out of all the other EHR softwares, I grasp quickly to the ease of use. I like how the schedule, charts, task, messages etc. are layed out. It's a great EHR for first time Medical staff such as Medical Receptionist and Medical Assistants.

Cons

Well no EHR software is perfect but I can honestly say that the only thing I wish could be better is how to search for patients by previous encounters.

David M.

Great Stand-Alone EMR

Reviewed on 2021/03/26

Overall Practice Fusion is a pretty great EMR. The connectivity to back end service (the billing aspect) is not great, but there are plenty of things that make the software worth it, including clinical decision making support, drug interaction reminders/warnings and the ability to e-prescribe.

Pros

Practice Fusion was very easy to set up and very user friendly to utilize. The system has a built in system of shared templates that can be customized to fit your practice and save your healthcare providers a substantial amount of time. The connectivity associated with e-prescribing is also a great feature that allows providers and staff to save time by e-prescribing directly from patient charts. Overall, for the price, Practice Fusion is a great prodcut.

Cons

Some of the things that I think Practice Fusion could improve upon are the interconnectability between Practice Fusion and billing third-party billing softwares. Unfortunately, when connecting with your billing software, we have a significant amount of billing "clean up," and "claim scrubbing," work to do which can be pretty frustrating. Also, Practice Fusion also is requiring individuals to pay for updates to ICD-10 for 2021. I would respectfully suggest that if you offer an EMR, a portion of your product should automatically include ICD-10 updates. The system also currently lacks the ability to verify insurance eligibility for Medicare and Medicaid patients. Lastly, Practice Fusion just underwent a price increase, which is disappointing to some extent but hopefully these increase will address some of the issues described above.

Elizabeth F.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Not a Good Choice for Mental Health Professionals

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

This software often felt way too busy and clunky for my needs. I started shopping for software specifically made for mental health. I test drove a bunch of new software programs. Simple Practice was my choice. It does everything I need at a price I can afford. It is also very simple and intuitive by design. I can accept credit cards and conduct HIPPA-secure tele-sessions through the site. They offered an easy way to do mental status exams and treatment plans. Not so in Practice Fusion.

Pros

It allowed me to use it at no charge for many years. This was helpful for me as a solo practitioner with high overhead costs.

Cons

This software is not built with mental health in mind. There is no way to customize the interface for the specific needs of my occupation. There were a lot of annoying pop-ups that I had to deal with that did not apply to mental health providers. The most frustrating thing was attempting to work with the calendar. It was impossible to review my schedule on my mobile phone because the calendar was not optimized for mobile. Another feature that did not work well was the client search feature. No matter how many times I would type in certain clients' names, the search box would not recognize or find the client. Also, there was no quick way to add a client unless I had all of the pertinent client data on hand. Most solo MH providers are wearing all of the "hats" in the practice and are trying to schedule new clients during the one or two minutes they have between sessions. Sometimes all we have to go by during that time is a name and contact number. My biggest complaint is that client data cannot be exported via CSV or Excel format. This is a big issue when you have to change software.

Melody M.

Practice Fusion the easy EMR system

Reviewed on 2020/08/06

The program is great for keeping track of all out patients information, communicating with everyone associated with the practice, and it is very user friendly. If you do run into a problem the support staff are always available and almost always solve your problems!

Pros

The software is user friendly. The support help people are fantastic at walking you through while you try to trouble shoot! The program is tied to Updox which is another amazing program.

Cons

There are a few gliches with the system and we are unable to add all attachments to referrals. If you send a document to the chart you are unable to attached it when faxing out a referral.

L ..

Acceptable product while it was free but now.....

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

Pros

It used to be free. Ability to make your own templates. The E prescribing was simple to use. Easy to enter lab orders and lab result integration was good.

Cons

From free to the whole amout annually paid in advance. The price increase has shut out many small solo practices. The cost is for one physician license +3 additional licensed employees. Wouldn't cost be much fairer if the cost was truly per user. I don't want to subsidize larger offices. Horrible customer service since late last year. The templates that are provided are a very low-quality including lots of misspelled words. New spaces for LGBTQ data but nothing for advance care planning and limited space to provide emergency contacts. Not very user-friendly for documenting geriatric patients. No structured section for preventative care with reminders when overdue. Immunization section was not updated routinely: new herpes zoster guidelines. Making a lab result flowsheet was terrible. Everything was à la cart: needed a separate clearinghouse for billing, needed to purchase up docs, etc. Hopefully they'll come up with a different pricing structure. Gone elsewhere for now. Might return if cheaper, charge people for using MIPS separately. Why should I have to pay for all the tech development of features that I don't use when basic items are missing?

EMR that is easy to learn and works well for small offices

Reviewed on 2018/05/30

Pros

This software is a breeze to teach to new and existing employees alike. New features are few and far between but seem to be easy enough to implement. Software use to be free which was a real pro but the cost is not outrageous now. We are hoping that with the cost per provider, we will be seeing some feature upgrades that will make it more of a time-saver.

Cons

The cell phone 2 step login seemed like a great idea until I watch my employees waste time, potentially violate HIPAA/privacy policies because of the cameras on every phone now and because they have to re-sterilize after using their phones to log back in. You can't bill insurance companies directly, which is a con if you have a dedicated billing person that is capable of billing for less that what you pay the clearing house (Gateway). Lastly, the customer service is pretty bad. Another thing I'm hoping will turn around after having to pay for the service is the commitment to resolving issues and responding to feature requests. CRM is lacking as there is not electronic appointment confirmation in the scheduling so my staff has to still make appointment confirmation calls. Most softwares have this built in or allow a third party to integrate. Practice Fusion does neither

Pam A.

Adequate Free Electronic Health Record

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Happy with the EMR up to 2017. I don't feel it will meet our needs for QPP reporting.

Pros

This is a free platform for medical offices. There are no hidden charges and it is easy to use. Cloud based, so you don't have to invest in servers. Easily link lab facilities to send and receive orders/results electronically.

Cons

I don't feel they are ready for CMS's quality payment program. We are already in June and don't have a dashboard for the Advancing care information (old meaningful use) yet. We need to gauge how we are meeting each measure before the start of the last available reporting period. The Quality measures (eCQM) are only geared towards primary care and we are a specialty with a specialty measure set. I have to connect with a Specialized registry to be able to report quality measure, and the data files are not adequate to download a CCDA file, so I may need to input ALL the data manually to be able to report and to get credit for the bonus points. We may need to switch EMRs if things stay the same.

Matthew S.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great software when it was free...not so good if you have to pay for it!!

Reviewed on 2018/04/20

Not a bad software package, but it has its limitations.
Customer service has deteriorated over the 7 years that I have used the program. You generally never can get a live person to discuss the issue. Everything is by email. If I have to pay for software, I will find one that does everything I want.

Pros

The software is easy to navigate and has the basic features of an EMR. Being cloud based, it was easily accessible from any internet based pc. It was practice specific in many ways, with certain shortfalls. Vaccine inventory was very good.

Cons

As a pediatrician, I must record a patient weight in pounds and ounces, which you can't do with practice fusion. The basic templates can not be modified and you had to be careful when composing notes (I don't come across too many 2 month old infants with teeth!) either not to pick those elements or go back and really proof read the notes. Log in from a machine that you didn't use previously is a nuisance, in that you have to be verified with a security code.

Phoebe W.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

My experience with Practice Fusion...

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

You get what you pay for. We started using Practice Fusion when it was still free. Since they started charging for it, it is has had several upgrades that are really improving the workflow. There are still many things I would like to see change, but for what it is, it's a reasonable software.

Pros

I'm so happy they finally allowed us to add a sticky note to patient's charts. It was very difficult to have communication between departments to notify other members of the staff of patient needs. It is very helpful that it interacts so well with Kareo's Billing Software.

Cons

This program is a little clunky. In the last year they have been making improvements to the usefulness of the system for interaction between departments but there is still a great deal of room for improvement. The reports function is still a work in progress and leaves much to be desired in the information provided and the ease of finding information needed to monitor the flow of a practice.

Sanjay B.

Excellent value EHR that meets Meaningful Use!

Reviewed on 2016/10/06

Pros: It's free (so far), intuitive and easy to use, lots of help links and webinars, good flexibility in creating templates, good variety of templates already available, very good support that is responsive in a timely fashion, good reports that work for CMS ehr incentive program and meets Meaningful Use, database is managed off site so helps with some of your security responsibility.

Cons: Database is off site so slight delay in accepting and processing data (not bad because entering data is done through a "static" version). Needs more functionality (company seems to be open to changes and asks for suggestions, but slow to implement) - too many clicks for certain features which delays data entry.

Pros

Please read my review, I just did all this.

Cons

Please read my review, I just did all this.

Lori G.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

User friendly but missing inclusion of LCSW/LMSW as owners of medical practice

Reviewed on 2018/02/08

This is a wonderful system and I love it - unfortunately as owner of my clinic and having a prescriber work for me
the system does not officially allow for this so I had to call and was instructed how to sign on as administrator/owner
I would hope in the future that they change this and add in more therapy practitioners as participants as well.

Pros

Super user friendly in writing notes -
wonderful prescriber friendly e-prescribe services
Easy to use without a lot of need for support services
Easy to use scheduling

Cons

No button for Social work
the way things are printed out is limiting
If a note is populated you can not always delete it - even thought you did not see the patient - if you check them in by accident and go back and fix it - it still generates a note that you can not delete.

Ann H.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Do not sign up with this EMR. Look elsewhere. False advertising.

Reviewed on 2020/01/26

've been with Practice Fusion for 7 years. When I joined, they promised that the service would always be free. Seriously, that was there main selling point. Always free. About 5 years in, they sold the company and now the story has changed. Now it's $99/provider/month. I tolerated the issues with PF when it was free because I was saving so much money that I could deal with the short comings. Now that I have to pay for it I want to warn people not to join. Once you join an EMR, it's hard to switch so I feel stuck. There is NO customer service. I've been trying to reach my rep for over a month and no response. When I created a customer service ticket, again, no response. Basic things that should be simple to do are impossible on Practice Fusion. For instance, I can't set up automatic reminders for patients to come in for their annual exams. If a patient wants their chart to be released, you have to download each document one by one. It takes an hour to download a chart. I've come to dread records released requests. If you want to create reports, patient lists forget it. Basic reports are not supported. I've been asking for the same basic technology for 7 years and all I heard was " great suggestion, we will send it to our development team". Then nothing happens. Now, it's gotten so bad, I can't even reach a live person. You have to submit a ticket for issues and no one responds. My office manager has tried to set up meetings with our rep (you can do it online) and he doesn't ma

Pros

Easy to use. Started with the company 7 years ago because it was free and advertised that it would always be free. They lied.

Cons

No customer service. Cannot perform basic easy functions. Cannot send patient reminders to have them call for an annual appointment. If a patient wants their chart released or an insurance company needs there chart, you have to download each document, lab one by one. It can take an hour to copy one chart. The only bulk thing you can download are the notes but everything else has to be downloaded one by one. I've been requesting basic functionality for 7 years and nothing gets done. Now you can't even get them to respond to help tickets or scheduled online meetings.

Magda B.

MEDICAL RECORDS SOFWARE

Reviewed on 2020/02/18

WE ARE USING PRACTICE FUSION ALMOST 8 YEARS, THE SET UP IS VERY WELL DONE, THE COMMUNICATION WITH OUR PRACTICE FUSION MANAGMENT IS FAST, THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE FOR YOU AND FAST TO RESPOND BY EMAIL AND THE PHONE

Pros

WE USE PRACTICE FUSION FROM 2012, WE WERE THE FIRST TO START WITH THEM, THE SOFTWARE IS EASY TO USE, VERY FRIENDLY AND VERY GOOD ORGANIZED, LOTS OF OPTION FOR USERS, ALWAYS UPDATING ALL REQUERED INFORMATION BY MEDICARE

Cons

NOT REALLY MUCH WHAT I DO NOT LIKE, WILL RECOMMED THIS SOFWARE TO OTHER HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS, PLUS THEIR PRICE IS VERY ACCEPTABLE TO COMPARE WITH OTHERS

Greg victor T.

worst technical support, if you have not started yet, think twice, denied e scribe and no one...

Reviewed on 2017/09/13

Free EMR

Pros

Free but Practice fusion gets pain by vendors- xray, lab etc. they have e scribe which helped a lot and I did 95% of my prescriptions including narcotics but now I'm having a nightmare.

Cons

I'm getting used to it but if you have a problem they have the worst technical support- no one seems to know the problem- no supervisor to talk to, no one knows how to fix, updating a license expiration date will messed up your e scribe and NO ONE can help. They want to change your expiration date thats different from your actual expiration date is the only advise they can give you. What a nightmare!

Howard M.

Practice Fusion is GREAT

Reviewed on 2017/07/14

Pros

I have been using this product for 3 years. Implementation was easy and the staff was wonderful. They are constantly upgrading the product to make it compliant with the never ending, government regulations. The help desk is wonderful. Having remote access on my cellphone is amazing and helps when patients call after hours.

Cons

This is a cloud based system. It has gone down in the past, but the crew at Practice Fusion has made corrections very rapidly. The worst outage was related to general downtime from AT&T.

Kerri P.

Reasonable EHR Software

Reviewed on 2018/10/26

We use Practice Fusion in multiple Clinical Locations to document patient information. We have services offered aside from our traditional medical services that need to be documented but not in our regular EHR. Practice Fusion is easy to use from scheduling to provider notes and a great tool for small clinics or clinics where multiple locations need a reasonable software.

Pros

It was free and even though it is now paid it is and EHR with great pricing.

Cons

Prescriptions almost do not look real. When writing prescriptions in this software even though printed on RX paper, the prescriptions look like anyone could have written the prescription. A lot of pharmacies in our area want to call and verify they are real.

Tim K.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Good EHR at any price, but the new update may have ruined it.

Reviewed on 2015/04/23

Pros

Free EHR is hard to beat especially when I know other offices have paid 35+K for their EHR and have received little to no help setting it up.
Comprehensive with all the info needed for charting and meaningful use.
It WAS easy to set up and start using.

Cons

The new update is terrible and may have ruined a great EHR. It WAS an easy to use, comprehensive, well thought out EHR. It is completely different now and is requiring a whole lot of time re-learning and navigating what I was using without difficulty. I am a health care provider not a computer engineer nor a data entry clerk The updated version takes a lot more time away from my patient care.
The new update needs a new update!
Like I said, I'm not a computer geek so, if I can use it anybody can....but the updated version is much more complicated.

Shannon C.

now expensive EHR for features

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

it was a nice switch after paper charting

Pros

I used to love PF, as it was free to use, and was easy to fax/ email chart notes to other providers. it has easily customization templates, and can integrate billing, and help you catch chart notes with no super bill submitted pretty easily

Cons

I do not like the new pricing structure. It is much more expensive than similar EHRs, and the interface is not as nice, or as easy to use across modalities.

Sabita M.

Easy at first, now I am starting to look for other EMR, since not getting much tech support

Reviewed on 2017/07/25

free software when i was unable to afford it.

Pros

Free, easy to use, I love its concept. It helped a lot when I first opened my office. I have all the labs I use integrated into the system.

Cons

I am unable to get prescription requests thro' escript from the pharmacies for last 1 year, I have been crying for help but none of the techs have been able to solve it!
Notes still shows ICD 9 codes.
Billing too complicated so had to out source.

Arlene B.

Laborious

Reviewed on 2018/08/16

It would be better if the default charting was normal findings, and you only had to select a template or enter a short text to change to a positive finding

Pros

I like that I can find my previous entries easily, so that I can copy and paste and then edit easily.

Cons

Charting takes a long time. There should be more automatic templates so I do not need to type so much. If they are available, then learning how to use them is not so obvious.

James H.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Worked well when free, but was deceived when new [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] took over

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

Pros

Used Practice fusion for multiple years at an acupuncture clinic. Worked well, basically had everything we needed, though it was definitely created for medical doctors.

Cons

Old [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] had been very clear that the software would be free for users forever (with advertising), and so we uploaded all of our old patient files (which took forever) and used it exclusively for new patients. However, after using it for 4 years, the new [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] decided they would take back their previous [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] commitment to keeping software free and start charging $100/month. It was a hassle to switch to another, more affordable, EHR software and as a user, I felt deceived.

Christine S.

family medicine practitioner - enjoying practice fusion

Reviewed on 2020/02/09

overall, has made our practice more smooth and seamless.

Pros

I love how easy it was to begin using and figuring it all out. very simple and straightforward.
clear and simple

Cons

i didn't like the updates and changes without any notification. i also felt the support team through email was not very helpful

Aleksandr S.

My practice has been using Practice Fusion for 5 years, and we love everything about it!

Reviewed on 2017/05/22

Smooth daily operation of my surgical practice.

Pros

Reliable and dependable, web-based - always accessible, functional, easy to use, has all necessary features and more, always on the cutting edge and always ahead of everyone else where regulations are concerned.

Cons

Ability to load dictated reports from hospital to the EHR would be very helpful.

Sara B.

Good entry level software

Reviewed on 2016/11/14

I selected PF when I started my own practice in 2014. The software is very easy to use in terms of set up and daily function. Many templates are already set up and it is a simple process to create your own. Meaningful use dashboard is updated regularly and makes attestation simple. You are also now able to attest to PQRS through the software eliminating the need for a costly register. There is a lot of redundancy in the charting which makes charting less efficient and time consuming. Support is nearly non existent and when I have had issues I get a different answer from everyone I chat with online and end up troubleshooting it myself. The software does glitch and run slow at times.

Pros

Easy to use templates. Meaningful use dashboard and PQRS attestation. Save commonly used diagnosis codes. Free.

Cons

Not very efficient. I have to enter the same information in several places in the same record which makes charting time consuming. Patients find the portal confusing to use and therefor avoid it. Customer support is lacking.

Andrés C.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

The paid version is bettter.

Reviewed on 2018/11/28

Excellent Serivce,

Pros

I'v e been using the system for years and it's very simple and straight forward. After it bacame a paid model there sudeenny were less ads and less intrruptions. It's creat.

Cons

Conpared with other new ones on the market it does not integrate very well and I have the e-rx systme.