4,3
4,5
Kris C.

Great value, excellent support

Reviewed on 2020/04/29

Our biggest benefit with Alma in the last two years was when they implemented their online enrollment process. At the time, we were considering moving from Alma to PowerSchool to gain this function as we were still doing paper application and enrollment. PowerSchool was quoting $20,000 to provide this, and that was a discounted price! Alma's online enrollment was brand new, but I spent a month going through their Study Guide to create our first process. The online support was a huge help! At the end of that 30 days, I was able to confidently recommend to our Head of School that we say "no" to PowerSchool and stick with Alma. This feature and many others have only improved since then. We appreciate that Alma charges us less and lets us create this and other processes for ourself.

Pros

The support for Alma is exceptional! As I am learning to use different features the Help guides & live support answer all my needs in a timely manner. I brag on the Alma support to other companies who are not as helpful. I also appreciate how Alma listens to my suggestions for improvements. In the almost two years I have used the product, I have seen many of the features I have asked for being implemented. I get a regular email (weekly or bi monthly) that updates me on new features and almost every time, there is something there that I have been wanting. You've got to love a company that listens to and responds to its customers.

Cons

Alma has added many features that I didn't even know I wanted - thank you! The only feature they do not yet have is a way to accept and charge for payments. We can track financial info on Alma, but cannot have it accept funds. That would be a huge thing for us because we could eliminate using a separate program for this feature - we actually use two: MySchool and TADS.

Jenny H.

I have enjoyed the switch to Alma. For the most part, it is user-friendly and intuitive.

Reviewed on 2018/03/06

Pros

It does not require extensive training to learn how to use; the parent portal gives parents all the info they need at their fingertips; it has centralized all of our student info and made it accessible to all staff who need it; the report card design process is great--you can really customize it to suit your needs; they are constantly releasing updated and improved features based on customer feedback and requests; customer support is always available and very friendly/responsive.

Cons

The reporting functions are limited--it is frustrating at times not being able to design customized reports or to tweak the built-in reports for your exact needs; teachers have some complaints about gradebook's functionality (although many aspects of the gradebook are much better than our former system--it's tough to find everything you need in one program--there are always going to be tradeoffs); scheduling was a bit of a nightmare (on the other hand, our school's programming is very non-standard and often breaks software); there is no app yet--or even a mobile-friendly view--which is really needed for our population, where a large % of parents use their phones exclusively for internet access.

Katy B.

The absolute worst year I've had as a professional school counselor.

none.

Pros

You can log in quickly. The people who have come in to assist with how horrific this year has been have been mostly humble and at least tried to help.

Cons

Absolutely impossible to have what we need at our hands as high school counselors. Everything is laborious or actually impossible to do. It has taken MONTHS to get even tiny bits of advances to make this usable. Transcripts, which are an essential piece for our kids, took 6 months to have functioning, and they're still inaccurate. Scheduling is months behind because the programming is inept for a school this size. It lacks confidentiality and privacy that's important for our students. Household units are not available, access to other buildings makes it impossible to know who has siblings and other people living in their home, which poses a safety issue when filing reports to CPS, report cards are still completely wrong and inaccurate. I could truly go on for an awfully long time, but I digress.

At the end of the day, I think I can vouch for every person in my building when I say that this program was rolled out in a deplorable way, changes and improvements are slow and sometimes non-existent, and it's made me reconsider even working in this corporation due to how terrible this system is. A program in its infancy has been detrimental to every single stakeholder in this corporation, and I've been disappointed since the first day of training in August.

Response from Alma

We truly appreciate you taking the time to help us improve the Alma experience. Change can be difficult, and while most Alma users have had positive experiences, we are continuously improving because our mission of serving educators like you is our life work. Along those lines, we have the industry's leading response time to customer inquiries by a factor of 10.
We love working with your corporation because of the positive impact it is having on its students -- and we know its an organization you can be proud to be a part of.
Other similarly-sized districts in the Alma family currently enjoy the flexibility, security and power our platform provides - and we'd love to explore how we can bring you to that same opinion.
Your account manager will reach out to set up a time to go over (and fix) any issues needing attention.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Very easy to use an constantly improving

Reviewed on 2017/11/10

Much much easier to manage student data than power school

Pros

Alma has a great and beautiful interface and its very easy to use. The support is excellent, easy to access, and very responsive. We wanted to replace Power School because it was difficult to use and felt like it was designed for larger institutions, requiring more resources than we have.

Cons

When the product was new it wasn't as robust as other similar software but they take user feedback and constantly add new features.

Response from Alma

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us a review! It's great to hear how user friendly you find Alma to be, and yes, we are constantly improving. New updates each week!

Thanks again!

Marsha K.

New growing company willing to create a highly competitive program for all educational venues.

Reviewed on 2018/02/27

Pros

Clean and easy to navigate whether on the parent side or on the administrative side. Customer service is also quick to respond when we are in need.

Cons

Queries of information cannot be easily accessible unless requested. School families are unable to access their own personal information to edit. Families would also like to be able to see contact information for families within their child's class. It would be beneficial if families could email their student's parents just as teachers can so that they may plan for upcoming parties, field trips, etc. without contacting the school for names, emails, etc.

Aaron M.

Alma is for Educators

Reviewed on 2020/05/08

Alma has been a pleasure to work with. Their staff is friendly, hard working, and always available. With that combination, I don't know what else you could need out of a long term investment.

Pros

The overall ease of use is what sold us on Alma. It's intuitive and saves you clicks. The best part for me personally is how easy it is to look up where a student is currently located, in order to call their room and have them sent to the tech office for assistance or troubleshooting.

Cons

Alma is a growing company, and as a result, they have some things that needed work when we started. However, after less than a year of being their customer, we have already worked out the major kinks that are particular to how we run our school district and they continue to make adjustments to improve the overall functionality of the software to save time and effort of EVERYONE, not just admin and not just teachers.

Juan carlos L.

Alma = Future

Reviewed on 2020/05/13

The transition was a little painful due to the transfer of information from our previous SIS.
"Translate" our settings from previous SIS to Alma was not that strait.

Pros

Their Web GUI concept is very forward, very stable and fast cloud, SSO with google, great help info, great tech support.

Cons

The email feature doesn't have an inbox, an outbox.

Martha (sandy) C.

Customer support is immediately available-this is a reliable aspect of Alma and the reason I recomme

Reviewed on 2018/06/29

Excellent management of student information - excellence in parent communication through Alma.

Pros

Wide variety of features and uses - also, the immediacy of customer support - when we have suggested the need for new features, these options have been added

Cons

Occasional shut-downs due to updates - otherwise, I don't really think of aspects that I don't like. Our past experience with RenWeb was negative, so Alma is comparatively flawless.

Hannah W.

Awesome program!

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

Great program for student records, accounts, parent information and transcripts. Alma is quickly becoming one of the best programs for schools!

Pros

Easy to figure out and work with. Awesome customer service and quick. You do not have to be technically advanced to work this program. Love the access to students, and parents and ease of access.

Cons

Would like to customize the layouts on transcripts a little more.

Jean-philippe F.

A killer SIS.

Reviewed on 2016/07/20

Every SIS should be this easy and straight forward. The team at Alma is extraordinary. The product is easy to use and efficient.

Pros

Perfect. It give you all that you need from an SIS. I mean...it really is.

Cons

Limited scope. I am Director of Technology at a private school. The system is not as robust as a Blackbuad or Veracross, yet.

Response from Alma

Hi Jean-Philippe,
Thank you so much! I'm so happy to hear that you find our product so easy to use. And yes, we release product updates each week so continue to let us know what types of improvements you would like to see within the system - we listen and use every bit of feedback!
Kelly

Bob W.

Alma

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

This past week one of my class grades was deleted accidentally by the office while in the process of grading the first trimester. Alma recovered the grades and sent them to the office the very next day.

Pros

The ease of use grading. The software allows the user to add one subject or grade to another class with just one click.

Cons

Sometimes the forms are long and hard to read on display.

Sara hope J.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Alma is awesome

Reviewed on 2021/01/20

Overall, my experience using Alma has been very positive.

Pros

Alma is organized and easy to use. I can access it anywhere. I like it that we can generate transcripts on Alma.

Cons

I would love it if we could also keep our unit plans, standards and benchmarks on Alma.

Rosario R.

Daily Use

Reviewed on 2021/01/14

I needed to learn how to add a feature. Customer Service tends to forget sometimes that not everyone knows how to use it and perhaps needs to ask a few questions before they send screen shot directions. I didn't know how to add 11th grade for registration on Alma Start. The instructions that were sent took me awhile to understand where the features were. Once I figured it out it was easy to add the feature.

Pros

Alma is easy to use. I use it daily for attendance and to communicate with parents. I use the site for registration.

Cons

When you are not familiar with Alma it can be confusing. Once you learn how to use it you can benefit from all of the features.

Linda K.

This was my first year using Alma. Our school has used it for 2 years

Reviewed on 2018/06/28

Pros

I like the ease of keeping attendance and being able to email the parents. The parents like the ease of checking their children's grades and assignments.

Cons

I am having trouble learning the report card program. I am still receiving training for this but it seems very difficult to have to switch back and forth from one program to another. I sure once I understand it with more training I will like it. My trainer does.

Michael T.

Valuable SIS

Reviewed on 2016/10/03

For a light Student Information System, Alma provides a well design User Interface and great customer support. Their report card customization is strong and the myriad reports provide a wealth of information.

Response from Alma

Hi Michael,
Thank you for your kind words! We are pleased to hear that you find Alma to be a well-designed, valuable tool. We have enjoyed working with you as well!
Best,
Kelly

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Tara A.

ALMA has been extremely responsive to our district needs. They really listen to our feedback.

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

Pros

Ease of use. Not complicated to navigate. It is easy to locate student and parent demographic information.

Agatha B.
Industry: Education Management

Teachers can use without much training

Reviewed on 2018/03/27

Pros

Great way of organizing the information necessary for a school to run smoothly. The interface is easy to use. There are many different reports to choose from.

Cons

It would be nice to be able to generate the reports in pdf format. Not all teachers and administrative staff are comfortable with CSV files.

Response from Alma

Hi Agatha. Thank you so much for the feedback - we are thrilled you are finding Alma so easy to use!
We'd love to hear more about which reports you need in PDF format.
Every user has different needs with the data produced in reports. Some users want to manipulate the data, which is when excel and CSV files are best. And others wish to see and share the data in a more formal way. That is when PDFs are most helpful. Depending on the report, we can make PDF an option as well as CSV! Your Account Manager will reach out to better understand which reports we should amend.

Monica C.

Tech Challenged Art Teacher

Reviewed on 2020/05/07

It is user friendly and the staff at Alma are quick to respond when I have a question.

Pros

I can enter students grades, comment on their work and email them AND their parents all in the same space.

Cons

Because I am not Tech savvy, it's difficult to say what could be improved.

Kelsey T.

Awesome experience. Made grading and keeping track of attendances and incidents much easier!

Reviewed on 2018/06/21

I was able to have easier access to students' information. I was also able to keep track of data such as attendance, grades, and incident reports.

Pros

Everything is easy to access. If I ever needed information on a student, all it took was the click of a button.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I haven't had any bad experiences with alma! Very easy to access and very useful for the school.

Anna C.

It has not been an easy transition, the program was difficult to learn and still causing issues.

Reviewed on 2018/02/23

Pros

I like how the homepage lists the classes that I teach that day.

Cons

Its hard to see if a student earns a credit before the end of the semester.
I dislike how as a teacher you are not able to see if the student is absent when you are taking attendance.

Response from Alma

Hi Anna, Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. No matter the size of the school, learning a new system can slow you down. The good news is you've made it through the hardest part!

Credit allocation for unique situations like yours are tricky. We have worked with your administration to find a process to accommodate those situations and ensure students are having their earned credits applied to the transcript at the appropriate time. As for the attendance, there is a check box on the attendance tab called "show school attendance" which will allow you to see the student's school attendance for the day. I hope that helps! Please contact support if you need any further guidance.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Chris M.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

A Tool for the Future!

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

Alma is built on a competency platform and has allowed our districts to transition from a traditional grading system to a competency based system. The customer service has been fast, effective, and personalized. Training for all staff was positive, and all user groups (teachers, administrators, secretaries, guidance counselors, etc...) agreed that Alma will allow us to move into the future with ease.

The flexibility of the grading component will allow us to provide more transparency to parents and students, create a "move on when ready" educational environment for students, and give us the detailed information we need to support students who are not yet meeting academic targets.

Cons

There is nothing to dislike at this point, but if I had to find something I would like to see improved in the coming years, they would be: the ability for the call system to have a recorded voice as opposed to a robo-voice; and the ability to add future attendance instances.

Nicole W.

ALMA is "user friendly" for sure.

LOVE this!

Pros

This program is clear and easy to use. It is fairly quick for me to add grades and take attendance.

Cons

I am still unsure how to maneuver everything available on ALMA---we need more training in how to utilize this tool.

Alicia V.

annoying

None

Pros

When logging it you can do that with ease. It is easy enough to switch to different classes in the program.

Cons

It won't let you break up assignments into different categories other than what is listed like classwork and exam. It isn't always easy to use and if a student disappears and reappears everything is lost from them. Sometimes it doesn't save what you have put in for a grade.

Response from Alma

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts! In each class, we have default assignment types. However, not every teacher uses the same terminology. Therefore, we allow you to edit the default types or add custom ones via the "settings" tab within your class. You can even have different assignment types for every term! If you are getting stuck, we highly encourage you to message us through the app. We will address your issue on the spot!

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Cynthia P.

Great for schools

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/10/30

As a first year teacher, learning how to use the program was easy.

Pros

It's very easy to use to take daily attendance in all my classes. Student information is stored in the program making it easy to access family contact info.

Cons

Inputting grades into report cards can be a bit challenging. There are a lot of things that can be tweaked to make it easier for teachers.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Samuel Y.

Alma Works

Reviewed on 2019/05/13

Pros

Overall functionality is easy to master and customer support responds quickly.

Cons

Some features unique to our school have yet to be created