Kindful

Fundraising & donor management platform for nonprofits.

Jennifer B.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

No regrets switching over to team Kindful!

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

Very glad we found Kindful. We have had tremendous support. Response times are consistently timely. Appreciate the opportunity to access trainings and webinars quite regularly. I feel that this program is one we can grow with. Kindful gives us access to data in a simplified format to easily view and share. Looking forward to what is next with Kindful.

Pros

Affordable, user friendly for us and our donors. Really appreciate that it allows our donors access to their own accounts. Compatible with multiple other apps/tools - and constantly expanding the list.

Cons

More access to some of the data. Appreciate that their are some information/options but they are only for viewing and not reporting. There are some aspects that are specific to our needs so understand how some requests aren't common enough to justify a change. There are times when there are asks and I will get a very vague answer - this is where a user group could be very beneficial. Those of us on the users side can share how they handle aspects of accounts, tricks and tips, or feedback from peers. I have participated in user groups in the past and gained a lot of relatable insight and views from all angles. Have Kindful reps be a part of the group so that they can take info back to enhance the user experience as well as comment on issues, ideas, or why something cannot be done/implemented. Great way to keep users invested in the progress of a good program!

Brittany D.

We use it daily and it is very user friendly. Even those of us who aren't tech-savvy can 'get...

Reviewed on 2017/08/29

More streamlined than our previous interface, more user friendly.

Pros

I like the way everything is organized, Dashboard/Activities/Contacts... I like how reports can be automatic from the system straight to my email, daily. I like that once the credit card/ACH info is entered, we don't actually have access to those numbers, and helps with PCI compliance. When there is an issue, we email support and they respond promptly, within 24 hours, and are very friendly and very helpful. I love the size of Kindful, because I feel like they still take input from clients to improve their systems.

Cons

When a donor makes a donation and pays for the transaction fee, you have to go in manually and split the transaction fee from the donation. On days that we have recurring transactions come out, it takes us an incredible amount of time for us to find and go through all the transactions to manually split the transaction fees from the donation itself. That is very time consuming. I personally call donors often, and there is a way to make a 'note' on the donor's profile, however, to access the last time I called, I would need to scroll through transactions to find the last note or go out and create a report. There should be a 'note book' that I can open and see all our correspondence, no matter if the call was in 2012 or today. (Both of which I have brought up with Kindful Support, and they know it's an issue we have with the software).

Response from Kindful

Hi, Brittany!

Thanks for such a great review. It sounds like you're getting a ton out of the software, and that really excites and energizes us. We love seeing our customers succeed!

I really appreciate what you had to say about the size of Kindful. We really want to be personable with our customers (which includes receiving and responding to feedback!), and it sounds like you've had that experience. I also wanted you to know we've also started rolling out phone support for all customers, so you can reach our nice folks during normal business hours at (888) 854-3230.

As for the transaction fee splitting and notes view, those are both great ideas that I'll pass along to our product designers. I'm hopeful we can work on those as future updates!

Thanks again for writing in. Talk to you soon,
- Jared

Karen P.

Kindful is very user-friendly for a small, non-profit, non-technical staff.

Reviewed on 2017/08/29

Donor management and integration with other online tools is key for non-profit success. The support team is excellent in not only telling you what to do but explaining how it works within the system.

Pros

The software is designed to serve the needs of non-profits. It has been developed to balance the needs of the daily user and the required reporting for a growing organization. The support team is extremely helpful and responsive. For the most part the functionality is very user-friendly and user training can be done in a short time.

Cons

There is a gap in the donor management process. There is no automated process to move a contact through the Donor cycle which means manual updating through custom fields. The video instructions are good for explaining the benefits of specific features but they don't explain how to perform the tasks/process to get to the results promises.

Response from Kindful

Hi, Karen!

Thanks for writing a positive review! It thrills us that you've been able to take advantage of user-friendliness, and, in cases where you've needed help, have found it in our support team. We know not everything is perfectly intuitive, so it makes us happy to hear that when you've needed help, you've gotten it.

Your feedback about the donor cycle management is great. We preach the donor cycle to our customers all the time, as we firmly believe in using this method to fundraise. Making that process easier in our software is always coveted feedback. We also appreciate your critique on our videos. We're trying to ramp those up more in the future, and this feedback about what they're actually accomplishing will set us up really well in our future video efforts.

Thanks again for submitting this review and for being such a great person. Keep rockin' it!

Talk to you soon,
¿ Jared

Great if you're flexible.

Reviewed on 2018/08/20

Overall, it gives us a lot of functionality especially for the price as compared to our former software, but at times gets a bit frustrating and/or time consuming. The service team is very helpful and on-going updates continue to improve the software and the software apps that can be used with Kindful.

Pros

Kindful is easy to use especially after the latest redo of the menu options. It's fun to use and I love having it sync with our donation page and being able to do special things like peer to peer fundraising and syncing to CrowdRise when we have special campaigns. It's great for automatic receipting and keeping an annual summary available to donors. Donors also an login to their account and do updates which really is a time saver for me - I do fewer updates on expired credit cards and address changes for example. The people who work for Kindful are very professional, friendly and helpful.

Cons

At times we get a little frustrated trying to figure out how to pull certain reports and often I run a report and then edit it in Excel. There's not a lot of flexibility as to how the report is printed. Also finding the group we want is sometimes difficult in the software - again, I may get it to a point and then manipulate the report in Excel. Some tasks in Kindful seem to take more steps than I'd prefer - somethings can be bulk updated but not all things for example.

Jennifer H.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Kindful has saved my life (only partially kidding)

Reviewed on 2019/12/17

The customer service is fantastic - every person is helpful and kind and I can get someone on the phone. An actual PERSON. Our data migration was handled beautifully. There is so much training I wish I had time to take advantage of.

Pros

This program is so intuitive and well designed it just blows my mind. I'm still learning the ropes but every time I think "Hm I wonder if I can do ...." I realize that Kindful either automatically does that thing or makes it incredibly easy to do. Tasks that used to take me 20 minutes are now literally done automatically. It has a great "brain" that seems to sense what I need and how to deliver it to me quickly. The user interface is also beautiful, which is super important to me.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that it does not make it easy to work with couples as a contact. (So Mr. and Mrs. Jones vs. Mr. Jones.) You can convert them to an organization vs and individual, so it's a minor quibble. I also wish that you could use and add more images on the templates.

Esther F.

Fantastic CRM for nonprofits

Reviewed on 2019/12/17

Overall I am incredibly happy with Kindful. It is very easy to use and on any type of hardware! Whenever I have a question or problem my customer support contact is always available and I get answers right away. The setup was easy and the care that the team at Kindful have for their customers is second to none.

Pros

I love the features, ease of use, quick access to support professionals and individualized customer service.

Cons

There are one or two features that our organization could use that are not on Kindful, like a very robust events and program management system. But to be fair, unless one is customizing a CRM, it is almost impossible to find. Additionally, the mail sync feature no longer works with gmail, and that would be a huge help to have.

Marion D.
  • Industry: Public Policy

A great tool for small to mid-size nonprofits

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

We got Kindful in July 2017 to replace Salsa, which we found overpriced and clunky. We chose Kindful because, combined with Mailchimp and Eventbrite, it met our needs very well, and enabled us to reduce the cost of our development/communications/event toolkit by over 50% overnight, while substantially improving the quality of our tools. We found the Kindful team very easy to work with, always helpful and responsive. We also appreciate that Kindful keeps getting better and more sophisticated.

Pros

Kindful is very easy to learn to use, and it offers all the features that fundraisers at most small to mid-size nonprofits will want, without needless complexity and at a very reasonable price tag. It also integrates very well with best-in-class tools like Mailchimp and Eventbrite, enabling you to build a suite of tools tailored to your organization's specific needs. Kindful's dashboard is very good, and their reporting features are solid. Help materials are great. We also really appreciate the very responsive and very friendly staff, always there to help!

Cons

Some aspects of Kindful aren't super intuitive, and if you don't use them frequently, you may spend some time confused and looking around. That said, the help materials will usually solve these problems quickly.

Laila S.

Satisfied Customer

Reviewed on 2020/02/07

The software is great for all the reports that satisfied our needs. The system organized all our data in an easy way to retrieve it.

Pros

As a software, Its easy to use. Excellent customer service. Great report system

Cons

Any additional service costs money. It takes sometime for the sync between Kindful and Quickbooks

Sarah catherine T.

The easiest part of fundraising

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

I have been able to integrate our golf fundraiser sign ups int our website because of your widgets but would like more customization. would love to be able to sign up volunteers/runners/etc through the site instead of using active.com! overall, this platform has made my job easier and more functional especially on the go because it's web based (surprisingly, my old organization used an archaic system that was only accessible on the server)

Pros

user friendly interface, quick turnaround on customer questions, ease of reporting, clean look when donor is using donation portal, most critical information showing

Cons

would like a better way to separate reporting on various campaigns during a given year and general manipulation of data (for example, the transaction reports are sent via pdf so I can't easily analyze the data in a spreadsheet), would like outstanding card value to be a reporting option,

Rachel I.

Kindful not so kind

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

It does help me to keep track of my donors and put them into different categories. It helps me to create emails for groups I want to send them too.

Pros

I like that I can easily put in new people/organizations. Easy to put in transactions.

Cons

How hard it is to print reports. There are way too many steps in printing out a report. Email instructions do not help. When I need help, it would be nice to speak with someone at the time I am having the problem, not wait for an email hours to a day later, with non helpful instructions that I could of printed off and didn't work the first time. I am very busy and when I have allotted time to work on a report and cannot get what I need, I need to be able to have a customer service person to help me at that time, because I do not know when I will have time to do it again.

Lindsey W.

User-Friendly CRM with Excellent Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

Kindful is helping the organization I work with see an overall snapshot of donor history. I have found the user interface to be incredibly user friendly. There are certain features that need catching up with the industry as a whole, and when shared with the Kindful team they are always receptive. I've even seen some suggestions come to fruition. Their customer service is top-notch and I can usually expect to hear back within an hour by email - often sooner. Overall, very pleased with the product and NO CRM is perfect on the market. This is the best of three major ones I have used.

Pros

I find the user interface to be incredibly intuitive and user friendly. For basic use, it takes little to no training.

Cons

Certain features still needing catch-up. I have had issues with household reporting and history. And, the social fundraising features have some quirks that always require work-arounds.

Kindful

Reviewed on 2019/12/17

Pros

Kindful is very user-friendly and if you have a question, the support staff is quick to respond.

Cons

Kindful can be tricky when wanting to run reports specific to a certain campaign across fiscal years.

Jordan W.

Always Evolving

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

It's been positive. I don't have a ton of experience with other CRMs like this, but I've found it useful and helpful.

Pros

I really appreciate how responsive the customer support team is, and I really see how the team behind is always trying to adapt the system features to be more intuitive and user-focused.

Cons

I still find the reporting features somewhat cumbersome. With that, the support team does respond quickly, but it seems like feedback is taken in and then doesn't necessarily get implemented or follow up on in a lot of instances. There have been many instances where we'll suggest something, hear that it's a good idea, and then never hear about it again.

Jonaé S.

Great Software, Exceptional Service

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

Overall, we have enjoyed our experience with Kindful. Their team is very responsive, and has ensured we know our options, our integration features are set up correctly, and that we're getting the best cost per our needs.

Pros

Our organization really enjoy the dashboard feature allowing us to quickly and seamlessly see data on our donor (champions!), our goals, and recurring gifts. We also enjoy the report features and all the options we have to make custom reports. Plus, the acknowledgement letter tool has saved us so much time while increasing our accountability.

Cons

Some of the Activities filters are hard to navigate, or create, to get the reports we need. However, the 'Help' section of the software usually has a solution or the next best option for the report we were trying to generate.

Torrey P.

Great service, quick response time, always willing to help

Reviewed on 2018/08/20

Their customer service team is tops. They have a quick response time to messages and if something is not available they will brainstorm with you on possible workarounds.
The service is simple and streamlined, so you can log in and get your work done.

Pros

It greatly streamlines the steps in the process of connecting with our donors. They have a ton of integrations, which means that you can connect your data without all the hassle of extra steps.

I like the ability to assign tasks to other members of my team, to make sure that we stay on track.

Cons

Needs more customization in the acknowledgements.

Kassia H.

We love Kindful!

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

Kindful is a great option for our growing non-profit. Some of the larger CRMs we looked at had more functionality and customization options but with that came a much higher price tag as well as a decrease in user-friendliness. We needed something that was intuitive and user-friendly for many different types of people, and Kindful fit the bill. Their customer service is top notch and they put an emphasis and helping non-profits learn and grow.

Pros

The big number one for me is ease of reporting. Reporting (as well as the rest of Kindful) is very intuitive and user friendly. We love this because that means it's not just one expert in our office who can pull reports, any one who needs to can pull the information they need quickly and efficiently.

Cons

I don't like that campaigns can only be tied to one fund. We often have to create multiple campaign titles for one appeal or campaign to accommodate donors who restrict their giving.

Ally S.

Effective and Efficient CRM

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

Kindful has provided a nice platform for my organization to receive funds, organize information, and effectively communicate. They are constantly updating and improving their platform, offering more options and tools for their customers. I have recommended Kindful to several people, and they all love the platform as well!

Pros

I love the simplicity of the platform. It is very easy to navigate, and makes connecting with customers very efficient.

Cons

Some of the reports and tools within the systems are not the most visually appealing and easy to read.

Heather D.

Very positive and make the tedium more pleasant

Reviewed on 2017/09/05

Pros

I like being able to filter searches, add notes, upload documents. I think it has a friendly and colorful interface which is nice when you're staring at it all day.

Cons

I wish there was a section on a profile to allow for more points of contact with individual besides just note section. Like volunteer, visited, phone call, email, and space for notes in each point of contact.

Response from Kindful

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the positive review! Glad to hear you've enjoyed the stuff our staff loves: awesome search and filter capabilities, and ability to add notes and documents to donor profiles.

We're also grateful for the constructive feedback. There are a few features we have in the works currently that should give you that extra level of record keeping for donors. More on that soon :)

Thanks again for letting us know what you think about Kindful! We love having Thistle Farms in the Kindful family.

- Jared E

Kindful keeps us moving!

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

We've been really pleased with our Kindful experience, and couldn't do our business without them!

Pros

We've loved using Kindful because it has great reporting features, easy to set up campaigns, and great integrations with email services.

Cons

The price has gone up since we first started using, but as the company grows and improves, this is to be expected. There are certain features that have a larger learning curve, but you can always reach out to customer service to find a solution.

Chrysa K.
  • Industry: Music

Solid CRM for nonprofits

Reviewed on 2018/08/23

The customer service is wonderful.

Pros

Kindful makes it very easy to generate reports and track donor habits within its system. As someone who spends most of my workday in Kindful, I appreciate its clean layout: it's powerful without overwhelming a user with fancy buttons and piles of data in your face.

Cons

Once you get beyond basic functions of this CRM, some of the more advanced functions are less-intuitive to figure out.

Rebekah M.

An impressive upgrade for our business

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

The customer service has been fantastic and we've been very pleased with our decision after reviewing many different products.

Pros

It's so much better than what we used to have! Very user friendly for our staff, looks good, and looks the same on any device (mobile friendly!). It has allowed our donors to self-manage their accounts and saves us tons of time on credit card processing and recording.

Cons

Many features are not customizable (names of certain fields, for example). The ability to edit the website design is very limited and we had to do a workaround for our more advanced site.

Elizabeth F.

Choose Kindful!

Reviewed on 2019/12/18

It has been great to see every donation in such plain terms. Also, Kindful customer service is fantastic!

Pros

The interface is very easy to use. It gives you lots of options for seeing, knowing, and interacting with donors.

Cons

I wish there were more options to view numbers as a whole. I haven't found a way see the actual numbers of donations all compiled.

Rebecca R.

Gets the job done

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

Some of the functionality is a bit limited. The tax summary tool could be easier to use, and it'd be great if I could make certain changes easier. Also, some of the other fundraising tools like creating E Cards, would be fantastic. Certain programs like Classy, look so great but I ended up going with Kindful because it had the integrations I needed.

Pros

I liked the user interface the most. It seemed to be the most user friendly. Now, I think I like how easy it is to see all the transactions and edit them with ease, if needed.

Cons

Some things can be a little complicated to figure out, like the peer-to-peer fundraising and cause teams. It is really hard to figure that stuff out and the documentation is limited.

Robert C.
  • Industry: Farming

Great Product

Reviewed on 2019/12/30

Kindful helps us find lapsed donors easily and create reports to send out documents.

Pros

I am new at my company, but Kindful made the transition easy to help me understand our donors.

Cons

I wish there was a better way to create reports (directly to excel) and with more specifications.

Hannah M.

Sanity-Saving Software

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

I love the integration with so many other programs. I can save so much time with having Mailchimp and Quickbooks all communicate with Kindful.

Pros

As a small nonprofit, Kindful allows me to operate with the least work hours on my part while being able to make a splash with beautiful donation pages, professional database management and easy reporting.

Cons

No integration with Quickbooks Mac, but I've moved to Quickbooks Online now and it works great!