NationBuilder

Software designed for politics, advocacy, and nonprofits

Amy M.

Not a great donor database

Reviewed on 2020/01/03

Nation Builder has been an easy way for us to manage our website, send out communications, and store donor information. We do not have an IT person, and with NB we really haven't needed one, as it's easy to fix any problems that come up.

Pros

I like having my website, email and donor info integrated into one place. It is an easy system to learn and the video tutorials are helpful, so it's easy to bring new members onto the team.

Cons

It isn't a superior product for any of its functions, particularly the donor database functionality. It is hard to get relevant info out of it to properly steward donors.

Does its job

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

Pros

We've had nation builder for a while now, the pros of the software are that it's got a lot of interesting features in it that can be manipulated with a bit of learning. Pages can be set up with simple widgets and accessibility for any information already captured.

Cons

The software itself is nice to have but we've been having issues in terms of integration. Some of the stuff on nation builder is unique and for us, it has been a challenge converting that information into something useful while maintaining our database. We've had times when our pages would crash and other times where things just didn't seem to pan out.

• Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Potential for Organizers, but unwieldy for Communications, Events or

Reviewed on 2020/10/01

Pros

No fees for additional users, seems like an intriguing concept for Organizers to have paths and point people for all contacts. Good customer service & free training.

Cons

Not very secure, for example you can make someone an admin without them setting up a password. Only two user permission types without paying extra, so not friendly for collaboration between Accounting, Communications and Events. Not intuitive for finding or editing anything. Templates are very difficult to edit--I know some basic html but you really need to be a developer--and limited in flexibility because NationBuilder doesn't let you customize the navigation bars fully.

Janelle B.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Nationbuilder is a dream come true for our business

Reviewed on 2019/10/02

This was so easy to use. We hired one of their recommended deveopers, they built the website and truly it was flawless.

Pros

Customer Service is ALWAYS there to help you. Everything is easy to understand, of course there is a bit of a learning curve, the software is flawless.

Cons

Really it's hard to think of anything that doesn't work for us other than the pricing will be high for us as we grow.

Isabelle F.
  • Industry: Music

NationBuilder: The Most Affordable & Complete Political Tools

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Amazing experience!

Pros

I love NationBuilder. It is a comprehensive political tools. You do not have a website? Within clicks you have one with NationBuilder. I love the contact management features, the mapping tools, the street and household views, the mass emailing tools, the contact log features. In short, I love everything with NationBuilder. Oh, I forgot to mentioned their outstanding dedicated customer support.

Cons

My only regret with NationBuilder is that the tools is getting more and more expensive to use. Their is also no free account available for small campaigns or candidates with limited budgets.

Mamie E.

A robust software capable of handing huge projects

Reviewed on 2019/07/10

NationBuilder is helping us cultivate a nationwide grassroots movement that we wouldn't be able to accomplish otherwise.

Pros

NationBuilder has the capability to perform many functions. I am constantly discovering new functions and way to use it. One of our favorite features is tags, which allow us to mark contacts and easily sort them together out of thousands.

Cons

Editing the website hosted through our NationBuilder site is a pain to edit. I wish the process was smoother.

Brad H.

Excellent CRM choice for multi-tiered political organizations.

Reviewed on 2015/08/05

The LPNC selected NationBuilder as our CRM of choice in mid-2013 and have been using it for two years now.

NationBuilder enables you to integrate your website, Facebook page, Twitter account, LinkedIn account, and Meetup.com accounts'and e-mail and phone communications'for both incoming and outgoing communications'and, of course, record a history of these interactions. It also handles donation tracking, voter history, and relationships between your supporters'and can produce pertinent voter or contributor lists upon demand.

It is also possible to design a constellation of 'nations' and define what data to share between them. So, for example, the NC state Libertarian Party nation and the Wake County Libertarian Party nation share all contact information (e.g., phone and e-mail data) for individuals who reside in both databases, but not contact or donor history (except to identify who has contributed). Sharing is also possible with campaign nations (e.g. for particular candidates or issues).

Generally, functionality in NationBuilder for any particular activity is adequate or better. For example, you can send out an e-mail blast from NationBuilder to a list just as easily as in, say, MailChimp. MailChimp'being focused on e-mail management'affords you some useful analytics and other customization bells and whistles that the more utilitarian e-mail management NationBuilder lacks (e.g., MailChimp automatically provides you a breakdown of how often folks on your list have responded to your e-mail blasts, breaking the list down into five segments'those data are in NationBuilder but you would have to work at retrieving them). But on the other hand, the integration with the data NationBuilder provides enables you to perform tricks you cannot match with MailChimp (e.g., variables in the text of your e-mail message keyed to the last time someone voted or contributed or retweeted an LPNC tweet).

NationBuilder is an excellent CRM choice for multi-tiered political organizations that need to share data.

Natasha M.

Remember your contacts

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

Overall I have found Nationbuilder valuable for keeping track of the conversations I have with volunteers. I talk to enough people on a daily basis that it is nearly impossible for me to remember who I talked to and what about. There used to be a follow up feature in NB that I was just beginning to get comfortable with before it seems to have dissapeared. Some work could be done to integrate it with other data systems, but even in that arena it is definitely competitive.

Matt M.

DON'T do the free trial!!

Reviewed on 2017/04/20

The website says the product is paid and advertises a free trial...wrong! When the free trial ends, they will AUTOMATICALLY bill your credit card !!! They say that's the annual plan, which is their "default" and since you didn't actively choose another plan, you're on that one. I never even wanted to go beyond the free trial!! I'm a poor student with no income and this was a huge hit. They refuse to refund the money. They won't even agree to just charge me for one month!! They're crooks. They're clearly trying to trick people.

Response from NationBuilder

Hi Matt! It looks like you were issued a refund after speaking to someone on our team! The free trial is 2 weeks during which you can adjust your plan or cancel before billing begins. If you ever have any questions you can reach out to us directly at [email protected] or 213-394-4623.

Our pricing is listed here - https://nationbuilder.com/pricing

Jessica C.
  • Industry: Political Organization
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Not intuitive until you get the hang of it

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Pros

Once you get used to using it and how to move between windows, it's easy to use!

Cons

Not the most intuitive so it's harder for people who aren't used to technology or how the user experience is supposed to work/flow.

Jessica A.

Too Early To Tell

Reviewed on 2017/09/15

I have been using NationBuilder for a charity that I volunteer for now for about 8 months. At first I hated it because it seemed like it was very constricting but then I grew to like it. It includes a lot of features for organizations or groups who need a tool that includes everything in one place. It includes an email tool, your website, a crm and even social media measurement data for records. The reporting features and ways to pull people by tags can get sticky but overall I think they offer the future of what people need with this solution.

Pros

Everything is in one solution at one low price. You can have all of your donors, volunteers and staff all in one database and have it manage your website and communications at the same time.

Cons

Knowing what to do with the data can be tricky and sticky. Also training your staff on how to use NB is hard - there's a big learning curve and many don't know that there are unlimited uses for the system.

Phil K.

Super easy setup and great technical advice from their support team.

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

Better output and super targeted outreach.

Pros

I had my entire campaign and organizations tech on one platform rather than 4 different systems. NationBuilder's free trainings helped my organizers be succesful in using the system which helped me knock on more doors, make more phone calls and secure more donations.

Cons

The product hasnt been updated in a few years. Could use a face lift and some enhancements with the main functions.

Alex F.

Easy choice for campaigners & non-profits

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

Pros

Tons of features, and a huge community to help.

Cons

A bit complex and takes some learning to figure it all out. But there are resources available to help.

Kevin C.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

A CMS meets CRM, Nationbuilder is very intuitive with many powerful features!

Reviewed on 2018/05/20

This is the best CMS / CRM for all types of political projects.

Pros

- The features (albeit tailored to political campaigns) are very comprehensive and well thought out.

- For non-technical admins, it's very easy to create pages, add new content, and add new prospects or supporters to the CRM.

Cons

- Some seemingly simple things (like changing font types or colors) must be done within the CSS file (i.e. it can require technical knowledge).

- Tutorial section is a bit cumbersome to navigate.

Ok but not feature rich

Reviewed on 2018/02/18

Pros

It fills a niche need that little other software does. So it's become industry standard. Never the less it serves the functions that it's supposed to. No known issues.

Cons

NationBuilder leverages the features of several types of applications such as email marketing, CRM, etc. But it doesn't have all of the features that you might expect. Such as for email marketing it doesn't support automated nurture campaigns nor does it come with a click-and-drag builder or templates.

Callum D.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Doncaster Alcohol Services

Reviewed on 2020/04/03

Great tool but slightly too expensive for us to use

Pros

Great tool bringing together lots of different functions to work collaboratively with good integration

Cons

The tool is designed, in my opinion, for larger organisations so the costings are a little bit excessive for a small charity

James B.

Great idea, but not fleshed out enough.

Reviewed on 2016/11/24

NationBuilder has a lot going for it, but not enough to make me stay with them. I used their software for a short time recently and found the interface to be cumbersome and frustrating. The customer support is minimal - you get one rep for all needs (financial, tech, content, marketing, etc...). The introductory price point is really nice and makes me want to go with them, but with so many gaps in the software, I just couldn't do it. Up until recently (don't know if they've changed it), The email marketing section still required quite a bit of code! I can't see how that's friendly to anyone. Finding where you want to go is difficult with the navigation system they created. One of the huge pluses that I wish I could have stayed for, was the tagging system for all contacts. Pre-defined categories of labels can be applied to individuals or entire lists of people, and then used to create entirely new smart lists that can be emailed and communicated with. Sadly, it still is just not worth the headache of the rest of the software.

Pros

Great concept, some of the system is built out really well (tagging contacts, web templates, integration of all services into a single database)

Cons

Way too incomplete. System is in serious need of a user experience upgrade - badly. It was extremely frustrating to figure out and some of the services required code-knowledge.

• Industry: Hospitality

Seems like a good idea, but not a good execution

Reviewed on 2018/10/25

Pros

Seemed to have a lot going for it at first sight. NationBuilder did have a lot of interesting features, like widgets that can be easily added to pages and more.

Cons

Ui was cumbersome and frustrating. I expected more. Doesn't seem to be able to handle donations and other simple tasks you think it should work with.

Steph P.

Nationbuilder has sorted out my account issue and even offered me a refund on payments deducted

Reviewed on 2015/06/20

Nationbuilder has sorted me out and offered me a full refund on the account issues. I was initially not happy with the service but they have been good to their word

Jim B.

NationBuilder is outstanding

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

We were looking for an all-inclusive solution for our CRM and CMS needs at an affordable price. We looked at literally 200 solutions and decided that none were perfect but NationBuilder provided the best solution. We have been very happy with the choice and have been a customer for over 4 years.

Pros

We were looking for a fully featured, integrated CRM and CMS system that was easy to get up and running at a price that a very small non-profit organization could afford. We found that NationBuider has with very powerful tools to help drive our success. In addition, the customer support is outstanding...from the videos to the very accessible support team, they go way above and beyond the norm to make sure you are well taken care of.

Cons

Like any software, there are constant updates to comply with new regulations and requirements. Although NationBuilder does a good job of explaining the changes, it still requires work to keep up.

NationBuilder Review

Reviewed on 2019/01/10

Pros

This software allows our very small non-profit organization to host our website and send email communications to our members and supporters.

Cons

We use NationBuilder to host our website for a very small non-profit organization, for which I am the Communications Chair. Granted, I have limited experience designing websites, but I have worked with several other web hosting services that provide MUCH more intuitive tools for both website and email design. The software is clunky, difficult to learn how to use, and does not produce very graphically appealing emails.

Response from NationBuilder

Thank you for your honest feedback! I recently wrote a blog post with some tips for designing emails - https://nationbuilder.com/how_do_i_create_a_newsletter_style_email_without_using_code - and you can join me Wednesdays for NationBuilder Live at 10am Pacific time - https://nationbuilder.com/live where we will go over it step by step! Email us at [email protected] anytime if you have questions.

Roy H.

Review of NationBuilder software

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

This is a good product but I wish more features were available at the lower entry levels. I think you would gain benefits from exposing customers to the potential and allowing them to be sure they can operate the features to take advantage of the program.

Courtney S.

Amazing site -- super helpful!

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

My husband and I thoroughly enjoy NationBuilder for our website. This software is easy to use and to train others on. Also, customer service is very helpful!

Steve K.

A strong membership marketing tool with a wealth of social media-focused tools.

Reviewed on 2018/03/15

good learning experience

Pros

Easy way to build a website and generate followers. Captures contact information and cross-matches email addresses to a variety of social media accounts, helping you generate targeted lists.

Cons

All the plug-ins, such as donation management and event planning, are built in, so if you're using something else now (such as on a WordPress-based site), you will have to convert it.

Frank N.
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Makes leading a movement possible

Reviewed on 2019/03/29

It's a great experience overall. The one thing that I wanted to add is that when I did have to call their tech support line with a problem, they were able to resolve everything quickly and easily.

Pros

I used this in a political campaign that was separate from my day job. I love how this combines everything that I needed to run and win in one package. I not only gave me what I needed as the campaign's IT guy, it provided every single person involved with what they needed.

Cons

The biggest con (if you even want to call it one) is that NationBuilder is so finely-tuned towards political campaigns that it doesn't work well with things are unrelated to that. (Yes, I know that's not much of a con but that really is the only drawback that I could think of.)