Toast POS

4,3
Jayelynn W.

Incredibly Efficient!

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Overall, I'm thrilled we switched to Toast. It's simple to use, has made us more efficient, and wasn't as expensive as similar systems.

Pros

Compared to POS systems I've used in the past, Toast is a lifesaver! It has tremendously improved efficiency and flow of our Taproom. We now have the ability to swipe a card and store credit card information; which is a huge benefit for those of us in co-op spaces. Although they look bulky, their handhelds fit into your back pocket and allow us to close tabs out table side. They are shock and water resistant, plus you can log into more than one device at the same time so if you're working alone, you can close out multiple parties at once. As a GM, I'm grateful that Toast is not only cloud-based, but allows me to access the back end from my laptop or smart phone so I don't have to be onsite to make system changes. Updates are incredibly quick so there's not a ton of down time. There is also Toast Central, where you can troubleshoot issues yourself rather rather than immediately calling Support. They are helpful instructions with screenshots and videos.

Cons

Customer Support is hit or miss. I always get an answer, it's just a matter of when I get it. After hours and on weekends, I feel like their staffing is very limited which leads to delays in getting immediate help. Thankfully it's only happened once where I needed a quick answer and wasn't able to get it.

Response from Toast

Hi Jayelynn, Jasmine from Toast here. Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear how multiple features of Toast have improved your operations, and that you are taking full advantage of Toast Central as a resource!

Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

I'd give it a 10 but then it would be perfect!

Reviewed on 2020/08/21

Overall, I really enjoy the system. It's simple to program and they have a great support system. It's worth the investment to pay for extended support until you or a manager has the ins and outs of the backend in hand. The reporting is awesome and when used the right way, you have your answers to questions you didn't even know you needed to ask.

Pros

I have been using restaurant POS for over 20 years and Toast has shown itself to be one of the best on the market. It is so user-friendly and easy to work in, including the handhelds, that it's amazing. In training new teams they offer a great program and support team. The layout is ideal for high-volume. Reporting is excellent. I refer Toast to most of our clients.

Cons

As with any new system you install, there will be issues and "clunks." Toast is no exception. The worst was the display screen and the use of it on the line. If you do not set aside enough time to train, prior to opening or first use, it will be challenging to understand, especially if you are not used to systems other than tickets and calling out. It just takes time getting used to and working out the kinks upon install.

Response from Toast

Hi there, Mora from Toast here. It's great to hear that your positive experiences with Customer Care have enabled you to efficiently train up new team members. Thank you for providing this feedback!

Kestrel L.

Beware!

Reviewed on 2020/01/08

Pros

I signed on to Toast because they touted themselves as software specifically for restaurants so I thought it would be an easy transition. It was not. As a POS system the functionality is fine. Servers can ring in food and it prints where we tell it but good luck pulling even basic, typical reports any restaurant would need. A lot of the reports I would want are listed as possible but then they don't populate with actual numbers. Support has no clue. I can wait to talk to a support person for 20 minutes sometimes or even get a "we'll call you back" which comes 24 hours or more later which is such a bummer when I have a guest waiting for a check and I need support to do it. When I do get them on the line they know about as much as I do about how to work the software.

Cons

Toast talks big and presents a front like they know what they are doing but they don't seem to grasp even simple financial or restaurant concepts. Do your servers split tips with a bartender or other support staff? Too bad because you are going to need to create your own spreadsheet outside the system to do that and then tediously go day by day to get the tip info for payroll. It is significantly more expensive than what I was doing before and they forced me to buy all their hardware, like printers and tablets which is dumb. Any old tablet would work better than theirs because they have it locked so we can't play music through it or manage our Instagram account. The list of problem s is too long to even go into here. DO NOT GET SUCKERED INTO RUNNING PAYROLL THROUGH THEM. The payroll program is a complete and utter joke. They have no clue.

Response from Toast

Hi Kestrel, Mora here from Toast. Thank you for providing this feedback, we are continually working on improving our reporting, analytics, and Payroll platform, and appreciate hearing from you. To ensure performance, we will continue to recommend that you only run Toast software on Toast hardware. I'm sorry to hear you have been having trouble getting ahold of our Support team. If our line (617) 682-0225 is busy, please log on to Toast Central (central.toasttab.com) to chat with them live during business hours. I have notified your Restaurant Success Manager to inform them of the issues you've been having and they will be in touch.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Charles G.

An Affordable Alternative to Aloha and Micros

Reviewed on 2020/08/02

A perfect system for a small restaurant with a lot of very handy features. They are extremely flexible with pricing options.

Pros

TOAST is a solid point of sale system available for a very reasonable price. Adding, editing and removing menu items can be done quickly and remotely. Printer routing and other back of house set up is a breeze. Customer service staff is well trained and very reliable.

Cons

Not really designed for large scale/ high volume operations. KDS screens have some issues.

Industry: Consumer Goods

Toast--Support when you need it.

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

We are still early in the implementation of using Toast, but thus far I have been very impressed with their customer service and professional manner in which they have trained and supported our company.

Pros

I love that Toast supports their product. You can call and get someone on the line that will help you answer your questions. They also provide the hardware necessary to run their software. They are constantly updating their software to meet the needs of their users and are staying current with the technology. One option that is particularly useful to us is printing individual labels for each shake. In other words, we could have a bus of individuals come to our restaurant, and we need to print individual labels on each shake to identify what is in the shake so that it gets to the right person. In the past, we had to individually write on each cup.

Cons

The most difficult part to swallow is the fact that you have a monthly payment for the software--even if you are a seasonal business and only open for less than half the year. Toast will make some concessions for that, but it still seems costly since our other solution we used was free and pretty much did everything we needed short of printing individual labels for the shakes.

Anang M.
Industry: Restaurants

Glad we selected this solution

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Very pleased with our decision to replace our old solution with Toast.

Pros

Very feature rich with a robust online delivery platform that seamlessly integrates with the POS solution. Synchronization is almost immediate and we have seen a huge increase in online ordering already. The self service kiosk was easy to setup and has a great look and feel

Cons

Overwhelming and we have barely begun to turn on all the other features - customer loyalty, customer feedback, delivery and so on.

Response from Toast

Hi Anang, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you have been driving online orders with Toast Digital Ordering as well as enjoying Toast Kiosk. We hope you will soon be able to take advantage of everything Toast has to offer! Please refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/ for best practices and educational material while you get rolling.

Dave S.
Industry: Restaurants

Toast is the only option for POS

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

My overall experience has been nothing short of amazing. I wish I switched to Toast long before I did.

Pros

Toast offers the simplest POS interface I've ever used, if you can work an iPhone or iPad, you'll be flying through this system with no issues.

Cons

I really don't have anything to say negatively about Toast, at first I was worried about the learning curve, but that was practically non existent.

Learning curve

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

decent, not thrilled

Pros

There are a lot of features and functionality with Toast, how to use them is another thing

Cons

Not very intuitive to use. Also i have not been able to get ahold of customer service

Response from Toast

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. If you're having trouble reaching Toast Support over the phone, log on to Toast Central to chat with them live during business hours. This is also where you can find Toast University, a library of all the training courses you need to be successful with Toast!

Jeff I.

So Great to Have Everything Consolidated

Reviewed on 2019/10/14

Overall I think after a lot of research and a couple of trials Toast seemed to be the best option as a long-term solution. I believe it can grow with us over the years.

Pros

One stop shop plug and play solution! I was not interested in having to switch between systems and wanted easy reporting across the business.

Cons

Takes a while to learn all the functionality but worth it once learned. Although it’s not a problem with the software itself, either a better hard copy training manual or disk would be helpful.

Response from Toast

Hi Jeff, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you are enjoying your all-in-one, Toast POS System! For helpful training material, encourage you to refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/.

Jon F.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Toast is NOT for small quick service rrstaurants.

Reviewed on 2020/02/05

The people have been nice and are trying to fix this so I'll say overall it's been a 2/10. We were sold a BROKEN system not optimal for our establishment. The sals pitch sure looked great but with no live support and testing, it's been a complete disaster. I can see how for Applebees it would be fantastic but here it's plain terrible.

Pros

Main terminal seems like it's well built

Cons

The handheld does not work and no matter what toast support has done it's not working. A support Member was sent to us to fix it arbor other location but arbour main location, it's still broken and has been since we opened. The smart tipping feature will not work. Tip pooling is a joke. There is no X report function etc...

Response from Toast

Hi Jon, Mora from Toast here. I'm sorry to hear you've experienced difficulty with your hardware. We do appreciate the feedback as we continue to improve our products! I connected with your Restaurant Success Manager and it looks like you are actively in contact with them. Please continue working with our Support Team to resolve this.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Valentina C.

Beware of their promises

Reviewed on 2019/10/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

After 6 months, I am not impressed. I am spending so much more money than I was before, and put in so much effort and time into setting everything up, but nothing is ever on point with Toast.

Pros

Nice features and ways to set up the menu for ease of use by employees. User-friendly up to a certain extent.

Cons

Most of the features promised by the sales rep were all available at an extra cost, after paying a lot of money already for the system and the hardware, you have to pay extra for EVERYTHING. Their customer support is very unreliable, sometimes you have someone great who knows exactly what you are talking about, sometimes it seems like the person has never even used the POS before... They put you on hold for 10+ minutes at a time too.

Response from Toast

Hi Valentina, Jasmine from Toast here. We greatly appreciate your feedback as we strive to provide best-in-class customer support and offer solutions for all of our customers. We encourage you to reach out to your Restaurant Success Manager so we can help your business thrive on Toast.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Michelle T.

Why I chose Toast

Reviewed on 2017/03/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

With now being in business a full year now, I have and I still am learning pro and cons of doing business. I have worked in restaurants but I have never been on the manager/owner side and it's not as easy as you think it is. When running your own business for the most part you are on your own! I sat down with a computer tech to figure out the best POS system for my business. There are SO many out there and being unfamiliar with them a lot of research was done! I attended the Gordon Food Show a month before we opened and I got to see first hand how Toast worked. I was very impressed with the system and how easy it looked to operate (remember I've never been on this side of the business) and we had decided to work 100% with Gordon Food Service because of their support and looking at our best interest for starting our business. Now a year later, I could't imagine being with another POS system so no regrets here on choosing Toast for our POS!

Pros

Customer Support! - I rate them 100 on this!! Any questions I have big or small, they are just a phone call away! If my call isn't answered right away or I get busy, they have the feature to leave your number and they will call you back ASAP.
Customer Service - Being a tech and answering some of the crazy questions (I'm one who probably has the most) they are always patient, friendly and very professional when answering questions.

Cons

Credit Card Processing Fees - With other Processing companies out there some are cheaper but overall with Toast, they win. It's the hidden fees you have to watch. Toast fees appear to be higher but what you see is what you get where with the other guys you have to read the fine print.

Theo K.

Toast is really a great system easy & saves time. Problems false promises from sales rep & cc fees

Reviewed on 2018/03/26

Pros

That is super user friendly. Fast and overall a great system. Seriously aside from what I write in the CON section. Toast REALLY is the best software POS system I have worked with. Hands down.

Cons

The credit card processing fees they initially promise you they can match your current rates which they DO NOT its a LIE. Then customer service never gets back to you or passes you on to someone else then someone else and someone else. Never follow through with their promises and never can get ahold of your sales rep and he doesn't reply or follow through when you finally do get him on phone. Beware they will not match your credit card rate like they promise you. They will overcharge you if you don't watch exactly what they are taking out of you bank account. You will get charged for modules they say they will " give you for x amount of months free" and then continue getting charged and have to wait months and months and make a million phone calls to try and get your money back for 'free trials they charged you for and your money back for when you told them you didn't want them at all after "free trail" and they continue charging you. Biggest advice is get your credit card rates in clear upfront writing and sit down and figure it out. Make sure they are not screwing you. Because its not only happened to us but several other businesses.

Response from Toast Tab

Hi Theo - It's great to hear that Toast has saved you time and made the business more efficient. We strive to make merchant processing as transparent and straightforward as possible. It's great advice to discuss rates upfront and get the clear rate breakdown. Please work with our Support team to address your concerns. We want to find a solution that works for you.

Rachel B.

Great POS for restaurants

Reviewed on 2020/02/10

After over a year the restaurant is still super happy with the switch

Pros

I was hired to help customize, train, and implement this new software at a friends restaurant. I have worked with a few different POS systems and this was by far the most user friendly. Easy to customize their menus and check preferences. Easy to update if we figured out how we originally entered in an item needed to be changed. Cloud based so when not on sight I was able to fix remotely when not at the restaurant. Also the handheld option is great for taking orders and splitting checks on the fly. Also were able to implement gift cards with the new system.

Cons

No real cons. The only downside was the initial few days after switching for the staff to get used to it.

Response from Toast

Hi Rachel, Mora from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear that you've found Toast simple to teach and easy to update. Thanks for the review!

Chelsea H.
Industry: Hospitality

One of the most user friendly POS systems!

Reviewed on 2019/12/14

After about a year of use, Toast has proven to be one of the most trustworthy and reliable POS systems. With it's integration with Hot Schedules, it has made scheduling and payroll tracking a breeze. Highly recommended to restaurants looking for a change in POS software!

Pros

- User friendly
- Intuitive
- Fantastic customer support
- Self updating
- Good price
- Integrated with most scheduling platforms

Cons

There's not much I dislike about Toast. With that said, it can be a bit glitchy at times. It's also a relatively new company, so some of the functions haven't quite been worked out perfectly yet.

Response from Toast

Hi Chelsea, Mora from Toast here. We're so glad to hear Toast's Integrations are helping enable your restaurant to thrive! We pride ourselves in building an intuitive, easy-to-use platform. Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate the opportunity to improve our product.

Ann S.
Industry: Wine & Spirits

Toast POS has everything you could want in a POS system!

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Toast is easy to use which makes training new employees a breeze. We rarely experience issues with Toast, but if we do, customer service is very attentive and solves the problem quickly. I don't have any bad things to say about the POS system or the Toast team!

Pros

The inventory feature on Toast has revolutionized the way we track our products. Being able to enter recipes, add invoices, track waste, etc. - and do it all in one place - is awesome. And the fact that it is all so easy and user friendly is just a bonus!

Cons

We receive a sales report from Toast each morning, which is great. It would be nice if in this email there were a few specific reports that were pushed to you, as opposed to having to click "full report" and pick and choose what you'd like to view on the website. For example: weekly sales summary, hourly sales, payroll detail, etc.

Response from Toast

Hi Ann, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear about how Toast Inventory has made an impact on your operations! We appreciate your feedback on the daily sales report, thanks for the review.

Jill T.

Daily Toast POS User

Reviewed on 2020/01/05

I find it to be a simple platform that is very user friendly.

Pros

I enjoy how many items can be displayed throughout the system within endless categories. It is very simple to edit the spelling of a product, the price or the quantity you have remaining. Adding more products is just as easy and for the food and bar industry we all know how many modifications guests request (and you can never have that many buttons), so the "special request" option, which allows you to type and charge whatever you would like below a certain item ordered is a lifesaver.

Cons

It is frustrating that Toast categorizes every product alphabetically. Additionally, our company has had better credit processing company offers but we are locked into Toast's credit processing and higher fees.

Response from Toast

Hi Jill, Mora from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear Toast's menu options have made entering orders a more simple and efficient process for your team. I would like to suggest the "Item Order" section of the article "Menu Items", available on Toast Central (central.toasttab.com) for guided instruction on customizing the order of your menu items.

Lindsay M.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Not the best, not the worst

Reviewed on 2018/12/06

Overall my experience is indifferent. While I am occasionally irritated with this system other days it functions fine but overall it is still mediocre. I would recommend it to someone with a strong encouragement of researching the program to see if it is the best system for your business.

Pros

Toast POS system has a VERY short list of pros from my time using it in my restaurant. One of the only pros is the easy-to-read menu set up. While There are not many features or anything about the system that I found unique or helpful, there are not to many bad elements that stand out either. It is a simple and mediocre system.

Cons

The biggest con of this program to me is the ridiculous amount of time it takes the systems to download and log on, not just first thing in the morning but periodically throughout the day. There are also issues with set times and online orders being updated because all systems must sync variously throughout the day as well. The system is not user friendly or easy to use right away and takes more time getting use to than past systems I have used.

Response from Toast

Hi Lindsay- thank you for your feedback. We may be able to help troubleshoot the loading issue you are having. Please work with Toast Support by calling (617) 682-0225, or log on to Toast Central to chat with them live.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Industry: Computer Software

One of the most intuitive POS systems I have encountered

Reviewed on 2019/01/14

When I began using Toast there was fear of a learning curve however I immediately adapted to it as it seemingly was designed by the professionals in the industry who use it. Everything is where it needs to be and it is incredibly easy to train new employees on the system even without previous experience working with a POS system.

Pros

Very intuitive user interface
Incredibly easy to pick up and go with previous POS system knowledge
Very responsive clicks
Great organization tools for menu options
Split check function is much easier to use than other systems
Credit card transaction time is very fast

Cons

Training entire staff over to a new POS
Other than the cost of training and time for adaptation there is no reason this POS should not be ranked alongside the industry standards like Aloha and Micros

Response from Toast

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. It¿s great to hear that Toast is helping your restaurant become more efficient and that it is easy to use and integrate into your restaurant. We are glad some of our features, like the split check function and quick credit card transaction, are helping your operations. We're excited to continue to help you to thrive!

Heather M.
Industry: Restaurants

Toast is a modern and still growing POS and restaurant management product

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

Toast has helped us organize and stay nimble through aggressive company growth. Looking forward to the next period with Toast where we adopt their HR, payroll, and scheduling features.

Pros

Toast allows users to log on to its website to edit menu items, run reports, track punch-in's. In the past, POS systems were loaded into desktops in the back office. It's so refreshing to update, edit, and from anywhere because it's based off a website.

The devices that Toast has selected for installation in the restaurants are modern, slim, and highly functional.

Cons

Toast can slow down, which isn't good news when the restaurant is busy.

The sales tracking is still not as robust as I would hope from a product that does so much else so well. For instance, it can be hard to get results on the sales of a menu item for an entire year.

Response from Toast

Hi Heather, Jasmine from Toast here. I'm thrilled to hear you are seeing the benefits of a cloud-based software and enjoy our hardware. We also look forward to continuing to work with you and helping your restaurant thrive!

Toast POS

Reviewed on 2020/09/18

It has been mostly positive, except for the issues I mentioned above.

Pros

Pretty simple to use. Reliable, little or no downtime. Terminals worked well and held up in the environment.

Cons

Support has really gone downhill. Too long to get resolution to some tickets and some never get resolved. Mobile app is an issue since employees can change their clock in times and Toast does not track if it came from the mobile app. No direct integration with 3rd party delivery companies.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Amanda P.
Industry: Restaurants

Does literally everything I want it to do

Reviewed on 2020/01/18

I was a POS technician back in the day and this is some of the best put together software I've come across. Seriously.

Pros

Like the title says, it does literally everything I want it to do. I have the options for gift cards, online and mobile ordering, and I just got the inventory management module and it's just a freaking dream.

Cons

It's got a few bugs -- one is updating the current inventory without our permission. It'll suddenly give us a heads up that it's decided that we have 4 plain bagels when we clearly have sold 3 of the 5 we received in the morning. I'm sure I've got a setting messed up in there some where that's making it do that.

Response from Toast

Hi Amanda, Mora from Toast here. We are thrilled to hear that Toast has been exceeding your expectations. Thanks for the review!

Alexander J.

Toast POS: The Modern Day POS System You Should Be Using

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/04/11

Overall Toast is the future of the POS game. As evidenced by its recent fundraises, Toast is anticipated to take over the market. It may take a bit of time for larger, older organizations to adopt the technology given the amount of time they have input into older systems, but it's only a matter of time before the switches happen.

Pros

Toast is a phenomenal POS system that blows the legacy players such as Aloha and Micros out of the water. Toast is very easy to set up, manipulate on the fly, and track relevant data. The handheld devices allow for a more streamlined ordering system, shaving precious seconds off the time to perform a transaction--something that is essential in a restaurant environment in which throughput is core to success. Toast is much more intuitive than other POS tools and the day to day users have found it to be excellent.

Cons

Toast does not allow for the same level of customization that legacy players do, so you can't change every aspect like you can on those tools. Further, the handheld devices rely on excellent Wifi connection, so you may struggle if there is a lag or an outage on the internet. Further, some changes take a little longer than you would hope to update on the handheld devices.

Response from Toast

Hi Alexander, Jasmine from Toast here. Thanks for the review! I'm happy to hear you have found the ToastGo to to increase efficiency of your servers - we know how important that is in the fast-paced restaurant industry.

Industry: Real Estate
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Fast, Intuitive, Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

It's been great. The last POS that we used was not nearly as efficient and easy to use on a day-to-day level. The split check options is GREAT and the credit card transaction time is much faster than with our last POS.

Pros

Easy to learn how to use. Easy to teach others how to use. And it's a great value.

Cons

The fact that it's cloud-based can be a bit of an issue if the internet goes down.

Response from Toast

Hi there, thanks for the review! Did you know that in the event of an internet disruption, Toast's Offline Mode allows you to continue to place orders, print tickets and receipts, and take credit card payments until the connection is reestablished and you are back online Learn more about Toast's Offline Mode here: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Offline-Mode-Overview-1492794307880.

Kelly V.

Toast Review

Reviewed on 2018/08/30

The back end entry saves HOURS out of my week, and my employees are much, much happier with the ease of functions they use everyday (splitting checks, transferring tabs). I also enjoy the community and keeping in touch with Toast. It's not like one of those systems where a salesman comes into your restaurant, sells it to you, and never answers your call. Toast is constantly finding new ways to be a partner to us.

Pros

I most liked upgrades. With our previous systems, you bought them and that was it. We suffered for years without functions we wished we had. With Toast, if they don't already have it, you can bet it will be in a future upgrade.

Cons

It's what I like least but I appreciate: It's a LOT to learn, and it's constantly evolving. You really have to stay on top of it to get the most out of the system, but paying attention and a little research goes a long way.

Response from Toast

Hi Kelly - We LOVE to hear that Toast is saving you hours every week. We are committed to being a partner in your business. We hope you'll utilize the monthly video newsletter and training materials to help stay up-to-date.