Cerner PowerChart Reviews

3.8/5 (67 reviews)
Nathaniel M.

Cerner Powerchart Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/23

Overall experience was good. I was initially trained on Cerner Powerchart. There are better EMR systems out there as far as flow, successful add-ons, and auto saving features. However, I must say that the ease of charting on systems and pages within the original body of Powerchart software flows very well. I love the short cuts that I am able to use so that my charting time is much faster than veterans using the system. The customization of pages for each department makes it very friendly for the user. And best of all that customized organization you are used to having follows you in case you float to another unit.

Pros

The Pro's about this software include that it can be customized to make changes throughout every department within the hospital system that uses it. This makes the software versatile. I have seldom had a tired day without running through the routine of charting on patients but Cerner allows for the quick access lists of options in my charting that can be expanded when I need it to jog my memory for the descriptor needed in my charting.

Unlike other charting systems I have used in the past, a default collapsed list of charting options in Cerner is very helpful. Additionally, Cerner has a lot of built in quick access options for charting that my fellow coworkers asked me to teach them. The ability to chart without the use of a mouse makes everything fly by. This is especially important when the mouse at a charting station doesn't work well.

The best part of the customized organization on any specific hospital unit is that this organization of information follows you when you float to other units. This means that if you need to help your buddy unit out the charting time will not slow down due to being in a foreign environment. Very Very Very helpful!

Cons

There is not a built in auto save feature in the charting. The ability to alter charting during my shift is important but there should be a time limit or window within which change to the charting can be counted as initial documentation. If you currently save every so often to ensure your work is not lost and realize information documented was inaccurate then there is a flag on whatever information you change showing that a mistake has been made. This is an unfortunate drawback which points to the lack of autosave features.

One other big con to the system is that when outside information is integrated, such as education material from a subscription database online, the patient chart only reflects information documented when added through specific links within Cerner. As an example if you add documentation that you printed off a handout for the patient you cannot link the handout to the patient chart after the fact. This means that prior to printing anything you HAVE to enter the database from a specific designated page in Cerner and attach it to the chart. Only one way in and one way out.
Poor organization in the add-ons in Cerner.

Javier A.

365 Medical EMR

Reviewed on 2017/04/19

Must customizable EMR solution I've had the pleasure of working with. Customer support is just a phone call away and they always answer in 5min or less. Powercharts allows providers to customize macros and auto text in order to streamline their daily workflows. Solutions also provides voice recognition and is compatible with Microsoft and Apple computer. Front desk Sheduling system allows offices to configure call protocols, auto verifies insurances and makes registration paperless. System does seem overwhelming at first, but like everything else if the user is willing to learn and puts their part in customizing their favorites the system simplifies their workday.

Pros

Very customizable to any practice specialty.

Cons

When there are parts of the software that can be improved an enhancement needs to be submitted. These enhancements take a long time to take effect.

harder to get used to after using EPIC for EHRs

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

I learned to use it and I think with more time I will get better as always, but the learning curve was a bit different from EPIC charting which seemed to be more color coded, and easier to navigate, but also full of facility wide things that had to be filled out but didn't apply to the patient, so that was cumbersome.

Pros

It is easy to use once you get to know where things are located, but it has more of a windows software feel than a mac software. It is more utilitarian in that it is not colored and the font is small, which is good for efficiency in documenting once you know where things go and are located. Does not have hangups that EPIC has when company wide documenting is required for certain areas that sometimes do not apply to particular patient such as was the case on a pediatric floor where I was using this system and I appreciated not having EPIC.

Cons

Hard to get used to. I was coming from using EPIC mostly, which seems easier and more intuitive to learn. I found the smaller black boxes and hidden tabs harder to get used to when trying to document daily things. As a nurse the med administration tab wasn't as easy to use as it is in EPIC and wasn't as intuitive and I sometimes messed up at first in documenting med administration especially when trying to add something that wasn't scanning from the pharmacy and I had to do an override.

Jaehoon L.

Rich function, poor user friendly interface

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

We could deal with physicians' need of a comprehensive computer system to support patient care. Usability issues still remain but it's quite common in modern EHR systems.

Pros

Cerner Ambulatory EHR is one the well known and popularly used EHR systems in the US. It has most of the functions that are needed for outpatient care, computerized order entry system, and data data entry for meaningful use. The consultants from Cerner are hard-working, knowledgable, and deal with issues in a prompt manner.

Cons

Although it is a production system, it used to be so slow and physicians complain about ordering time takes up to 10 seconds. Citrix based desktop is slow. User interface and layout of components in Physician workflow is not intuitive and hard to learn. Overall it results in longer data entry time and takes physicians' time to talk to patients.

6.0/10

Powerchart review

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Once you learn Cerner Powerchart, it is a great software, very user friendly, organized, easy to navigate.

Pros

I use this software at work to access patients charts, send messages to other healthcare team members, and to document. Charting is very easy, software flows well. There are lots of shortcuts that make work faster. Pages can be customized to make everyone’s work more efficient and personalized. Search buttons within patients charts are also very useful when learning more about their medical and medication history. This software makes patients’ chart very well organized, easy to find all the necessary information, easy to look up and updated patients’ information such as pharmacy, medications, allergies.

Cons

Frequent software updates are often times less useful and more confusing than previous version, takes some time to learn and get used to it. In some cases support team needs to be contacted to reverse or modify new updates for software to be more user friendly. Occasionally there are problems with the serve, errors when logging in, which are addressed by support team in a timely matter.

David R.

Easiest way to find patient information and keep it organized

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

As someone who speaks with patients on the phone constantly, I find it useful to be able to open multiple Powerchart files at once. This keeps me focused on the task at hand and after a phone call I can return to the previous patient I was working on. All in all this program has been a life saver.

Pros

The amount of information that is able to be found on this software and organized is truly amazing. This program makes it simple to find patient information in seconds and utilizes the ability to open multiple patients at the same time when things get frantic. I really enjoy the layout of the tabs and subsections within them, as they make it easy to find certain aspects of a patients file without digging through everything and wasting time. As long as staff members upload the information and keep it current there are no problems keeping track of a patients medical record and information.

Cons

I dislike that the software is not always intuitive. Some times there is information that I would like to find, but until I am trained on where to find the information in Powerchart I cannot locate it quickly. With that said, I believe there is simply a large learning curve for so much information and it will just take time - not really a fault in the service itself.

Medical software at its finest

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

Pros

I have been using Cerner Powerchart for over four years and still consider it the best medical software. I find the layout to be easy to navigate and extremely user friendly. Unlike so many other software, you dont have to click through tons of boxes to complete a simple task

Cons

I really love this software and struggle to find cons. Occasionally when I click on the software icon the software doesn't load and occasionally when I'm using the software it freezes and I have to close it and reopen.

Cerner Extended care Road Notes

Reviewed on 2019/01/27

Then individual applications work great but you still end up having to chart things multiples times because the applications don't communicate with each other. I think you should be able to document in the the nurses note an update to physician order or careplan and the information automatically update the other applications.

Pros

The nurses note flows well and is quick to complete.

Cons

The nurses note does not communicate with any other applications like care plans or physician orders. You have to leave the nurses note to update care plan or enter a new order.

5.0/10
Alex A.

Excellent for patient tracking!

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Pros

The best software I've used for tracking patient's history and orders. It helps me accurately organize and make sure all radiology orders performed for selected patients are attached to their specific radiologist reading tests.

Cons

The only difficulty that I came across with at the beginning was finding reports and documents for patients when they were requested. With some training this task becomes pretty easy making this software absolutely useful!

David C.

There when you need it

Reviewed on 2019/07/26

I work with this on a daily basis and it is a godsend, I pull records on a daily basis filing appeals and what not. I could not be any happier with the software, it is rarely down and when it is, It has been fixed rather quickly.

Pros

I like the ability to look for records by "doctor" it makes it so much easier and fast to get the records you need without searching the entire account and visits.

Cons

I really have too many bad things to say about the software system, it has always been there for me when I need it, I have yet to run into any problems when finding records. Finding older records can sometime be a little tricky but again it works great for me.

Cross functional amazing

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Pros

Everyone could use it to serve the patient the best, from in house staff registering and obtain images of id's or insurance information, to providers to document patient's care and keep reports, to billing departments for insurance verification or printing medical reports. It was a 1 stop shop for medical purposes.

Cons

Training was non me, i learned everything on my own. But that could of been a company decision and not a software issue.

Better data, better care

Reviewed on 2019/01/18

Continuity of care.

Pros

THe amount of detail available to input and view. All caregivers use the same system and so that information is visible in the same system. I love seeing when PT has walked my patients and how they did if I can't track done the PT, or how a respiratory treatment has gone. This is so helpful in keeping up to date on how all caregivers are viewing the patient, when a one on one visit is not feasible.

Cons

IT takes a while to pick up all the skills needed to use it and adjust to the format, but only because it has so much functionality. So that's natural.

Nicolas D.

Extremely poor value for the money

Reviewed on 2016/10/18

The user experience is completely not user-friendly, often needing ongoing clarification for what are basic searching or to complete basic routine activities. Amazingly poor UX/UI layout, and often confusing. The customer services has been all along a nightmare. For more than two months initially in March 2016 when we wanted to start this system we were forced to keep calling in prescriptions to pharmacies & writing controlled medicines for 5 days because the system wasn't working -and Cerner telling us they didn't know what was the problem. Later on when we were eventually able to e-prescribe non-controlled substances still we were forced to get a NY State waiver for controlled substances because the company couldn't get it resolved in more than a month longer. Worse, they blamed our IT team here when was clear it wasn't the case. This was more frustrating as this was happening while we're busy seen patients. Support was spotty at best, often the IT people been forced to resolve the problems themselves, or improvise, while the agency I'm working was paying Cerner money. Even now (10/18/2016), the e-prescribe system, that claims it has a renewal option for old medications, it doesn't work for controlled substances (some do, some don't) , so many of us have always to re-write as a new prescription all controlled medicines. I'm a psychiatrist but I've also some formal training in UX/UI design, and to write code, so I'm probably better understanding computers than the usual MD, and even for me the system was an impossible crazy task. I also work with other e-prescribe systems in other agencies, and comparing apples to apples, the other systems are much cheaper and much, much better, and very much easier to use. It's amazing how poor service you can get paying big bucks! And here, this is one glaring example. Buyer beware!

Pros

Easier to write progress notes.

Cons

What I wrote about e-prescribe.

0.0/10
Rachael M.

Cerner as EMR

Reviewed on 2019/06/08

Overall, it is a pretty intuitive EMR. It was easy to adapt to. It covers all the important aspects an EMR should have.

Pros

I like the note templates it provides, and that it allows you to create your own personal templates and smart phrases. The medication reconciliation feature is also helpful especially for admissions.

Cons

I wish some features were easier to use including patient assessments and I's and O's.

Great Product for Easy Coding

Reviewed on 2019/05/23

Because of Cerner EHR we are able to code all types of outpatient charts allowing employees in different functions all to use the same product which allows for less training time.

Pros

This software allows user to easily switch between patient types in the electronic health record and carries over information from other softwares easily.

Cons

The functionality of this software experiences downtime occasionally.

Makes things easy

Reviewed on 2019/09/07

It is a great place to compile all records and look up patient information when needed. It has helped me stay on track with clinic notes.

Pros

I like that Cerner is transparent enough so that nothing is too hard to figure out. I am able to find patients easily, write clinic notes easily, and view past records easily.

Cons

You can only see up to 500 records before things start to disappear. I do not like this. Additionally, it can be hard to find certain records, perhaps a search bar within the records would make things easier.

Elana H.

EHR for Hospital

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

I have been happy with utilizing the system overall. It is the system our local hospital uses, so we login to assist in retrieval of records for upcoming appointments.

Pros

I like that I can easily find the information I am looking for in the system.

Cons

I do not care for the several different logins to get into the system. Unless you are at the facility, you have to go through a 3-4 step login process.

Not a fan

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Pros

This software is functional but time consuming to get the hang of.

Cons

This software takes forever to learn and even after having used it for a year and a half I still think, where did I chart that one tiny detail that one time? It's just not as intuitive as other software I've used. In others I felt like it prompted me to fill out and chart on a patient using a checklist. This one you just have to hope you remembered you charted everything and am commonly triple checking before leaving for the day.

3.0/10

Sometimes difficult to navigate

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

Pros

PowerChart is a comprehensive electronic medical record powered through Cerner. Results and notes can be seen immediately after being posted and is available to all caregivers that have legitimate access.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to navigate the software. I think the tabs and notes can be better organized for ease of use.

6.0/10
Rebecca F.

Cerner

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

I have worked at many hospital systems, and Powerchart LTC is by far the easiest, most up to date, and simplistic software I have used. It makes sense, allows the provider/RN to be as detailed as they want, and it is easy to navigate.

Cons

no con's. I love Powerchart and I hope my hospital always uses it.

Better for nurses than for lab

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

Easy to access all areas of a patient's chart. All physician reports and scanned reports can be retrieved in one area.

Cons

You can change your view of results from table to group, but it must be done each time you log in rather than maintaining settings. Also you can't permanently close plans to view only orders.

Jackie M.

Cerner EHR

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

it's great software.

Pros

it's easy to use and it's great to have the ability to find everything in the patient charts from all the doctors the patient sees within the hospital by the click of a mouse.

Cons

it freezes sometimes in the middle of scanning a document into the patient's chart.

Christopher M.

Cerner or not to Cerner

Reviewed on 2018/12/30

Pros

Ease of learning
Relatively intuitive
Integration with voice dictation
Straightforward

Cons

Power notes can be convoluted
Preferences could be better organized.
Occasional hiccup with dictation needing a restart/logout
No compatibility easily with other EHR

Stephen H.

Cerner an ok but antiquated product

Reviewed on 2016/10/14

I used this product for several years at a previous job. I did not like it that much. I thought it was antiquated and difficult to use.

Pros

They did pioneer some of the first things in EMARs

Cons

Not well organized, user friendly, or fast. I found it to be very difficult to use.

3.0/10
Ann A.

Powerchart LTC

Reviewed on 2016/07/28

We are a LTC that is owned by a Health System and the entire Health System went live with Cerner all at the same time. It was a very interesting and intense transition. Overall, for LTC the whole experience was a good one.

Pros

I think the biggest pro is the MAR - our nurses love it.