Cerner PowerChart

3,6
Krenciswel D.

Excellent

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

Less paperwork, less patient waiting time, efficient and accurate management of samples through the use of barcode system within the software.

Pros

I have been working with cerner powerchart since 2016 and it has been very helpful with managing patient orders specially with regards to clinical laboratory test orders. It is very organized and all clinical orders are separated by classification. It has decreased the patient waiting time and processing time for the lab where I am working. Overall its very helpful to medical professionals like me.

Cons

There is really no cons for this software. Occassional downtime, updates and server problems but those were just minor technical difficulties. And are always adressed by the support team efficiently.

Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Makes things easy

Reviewed on 2019/09/07

It is a great place to compile all records and look up patient information when needed. It has helped me stay on track with clinic notes.

Pros

I like that Cerner is transparent enough so that nothing is too hard to figure out. I am able to find patients easily, write clinic notes easily, and view past records easily.

Cons

You can only see up to 500 records before things start to disappear. I do not like this. Additionally, it can be hard to find certain records, perhaps a search bar within the records would make things easier.

Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Good EHR software for hospital documentation

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/09/25

My overall experience with Cener is pleasant. I used a different EHR before Cerner, and most of the staffs at my hospital can agree that Cerner is better.

Pros

My hospital switched to Cerner over a year ago from an old EHR system. At first, it was a little confusing because it was different, but everyone ended up liking Cerner. They had staffs on-site for over a month who provided the staff with useful information. The layout is simplistic and the documentations are easy to find. Cener also has the capability to be linked up with the glucometers so the result will be imported into the system automatically, which we had to enter manually before Cerner

Cons

For the purpose of my job, I don't really have any problems with Cerner. While I do not find it hard to use at all, I had older nurse colleagues who struggled with it initally.

Frank B.

Overpriced but necessary

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Pros

I’m a believer of you get what you pay for. However in a world of limited options this could be better for the cost

Cons

Very clunky and hard to use. Not many other options for EMR vendors. We are moving to Meditech next year

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Leslie F.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Solid EHR, that is multi functional for clinic and hospital

Reviewed on 2020/06/23

I would recommend to a hospital with an ambulatory clinic as it helps keep information flowing between the two systems in an accurate manner

Pros

All areas are basically the same so using this product for ambulatory as well as hospital and emergency provides ease of use. Many other facilities use this product so that is helpful in sharing of information.

Cons

It is expensive. There were some issues with our build and the billing does not work as well as we had hoped.

Ashley M.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Efficient EMR program; User friendly!

Reviewed on 2020/01/17

My specific department is a centralized scheduling group that oversees all surgery scheduling for the organization. In one day we typically talk with/schedule over 300 patients. This means that we have to be able to quickly access and review a patients chart prior to scheduling their procedure. This used to include many clicks and time - We are now able to do this very quickly and efficiently. (Hence why our group is able to handle all surgery scheduling for the organization)

Pros

Implementing Cerner has been nothing but a positive experience and we have continued to find ways to improve our program to benefit each department within our clinic. Patients have also experienced the increased efficiency since implementing Cerner - This has been our biggest win!

Cons

Currently our program does not interface with all pharmacy scripting programs and Dragon dictation software that many providers like to utilize. We are working with other programs & have workaround workflows in place to address this but will be working more closely with representatives from Cerner to ensure this is not an issue with necessary interfaces going forward.

Katie R.

Overall a pretty good EHR

Reviewed on 2020/05/17

Overall this has been a fine database to use, and was easy to learn (for the most part). There are some things I really like about it, and some things that annoy me, but I feel that this might be true for most EHR databases. I haven't minded using this one and it has a number of handy features.

Pros

I feel like overall this EHR is fairly user friendly. I picked up on how to use it fairly quickly with no prior experience with it when I started my first PA job. I really like the feature of being able to have your pre-completed notes and pre-determined phrases that can be put into a note. It's also easy to search for medications and lab orders to place.

Cons

There are a few little things that drive me crazy with using this database. It's not always easy using the search feature to look up patients, for example. There are also a few simple things that should only take a click or two, but they take a lot longer to do than they should. Our database recently got updated, which made a few of the features better, and a few worse. For example, when looking up a patient's past bloodwork results, I now have to expand the dates of what I want to see further in the past in every single patient's chart, instead of just setting it once and having it remember it.

Nicolas D.
Industry: Mental Health Care
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Extremely poor value for the money

Reviewed on 2016/10/18

The user experience is completely not user-friendly, often needing ongoing clarification for what are basic searching or to complete basic routine activities. Amazingly poor UX/UI layout, and often confusing. The customer services has been all along a nightmare. For more than two months initially in March 2016 when we wanted to start this system we were forced to keep calling in prescriptions to pharmacies & writing controlled medicines for 5 days because the system wasn't working -and Cerner telling us they didn't know what was the problem. Later on when we were eventually able to e-prescribe non-controlled substances still we were forced to get a NY State waiver for controlled substances because the company couldn't get it resolved in more than a month longer. Worse, they blamed our IT team here when was clear it wasn't the case. This was more frustrating as this was happening while we're busy seen patients. Support was spotty at best, often the IT people been forced to resolve the problems themselves, or improvise, while the agency I'm working was paying Cerner money. Even now (10/18/2016), the e-prescribe system, that claims it has a renewal option for old medications, it doesn't work for controlled substances (some do, some don't) , so many of us have always to re-write as a new prescription all controlled medicines. I'm a psychiatrist but I've also some formal training in UX/UI design, and to write code, so I'm probably better understanding computers than the usual MD, and even for me the system was an impossible crazy task. I also work with other e-prescribe systems in other agencies, and comparing apples to apples, the other systems are much cheaper and much, much better, and very much easier to use. It's amazing how poor service you can get paying big bucks! And here, this is one glaring example. Buyer beware!

Pros

Easier to write progress notes.

Cons

What I wrote about e-prescribe.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Ok EMR

Reviewed on 2020/06/28

Cerner allows my organization to chart for patients securely.

Pros

Cerner has uses for every teams dicipline and it certainly does it's job for patients electronic medical chart.

Cons

Cerner's interface is clunky and things seem to be scattered about everywhere. Getting use to utilizing Cerner takes a while, and finding where information is put can take some time.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Disorganized and confusing

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

Pros

I like that they tried to make viewing patient system information more integrated but they missed the mark. Confusing to use and seems like they spent too much energy making it more confusing than simpler.

Cons

Having to go through so many clicks to chart or select one thing. What healthcare provider has time for that?

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Nathaniel M.

Cerner Powerchart Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/23

Overall experience was good. I was initially trained on Cerner Powerchart. There are better EMR systems out there as far as flow, successful add-ons, and auto saving features. However, I must say that the ease of charting on systems and pages within the original body of Powerchart software flows very well. I love the short cuts that I am able to use so that my charting time is much faster than veterans using the system. The customization of pages for each department makes it very friendly for the user. And best of all that customized organization you are used to having follows you in case you float to another unit.

Pros

The Pro's about this software include that it can be customized to make changes throughout every department within the hospital system that uses it. This makes the software versatile. I have seldom had a tired day without running through the routine of charting on patients but Cerner allows for the quick access lists of options in my charting that can be expanded when I need it to jog my memory for the descriptor needed in my charting.

Unlike other charting systems I have used in the past, a default collapsed list of charting options in Cerner is very helpful. Additionally, Cerner has a lot of built in quick access options for charting that my fellow coworkers asked me to teach them. The ability to chart without the use of a mouse makes everything fly by. This is especially important when the mouse at a charting station doesn't work well.

The best part of the customized organization on any specific hospital unit is that this organization of information follows you when you float to other units. This means that if you need to help your buddy unit out the charting time will not slow down due to being in a foreign environment. Very Very Very helpful!

Cons

There is not a built in auto save feature in the charting. The ability to alter charting during my shift is important but there should be a time limit or window within which change to the charting can be counted as initial documentation. If you currently save every so often to ensure your work is not lost and realize information documented was inaccurate then there is a flag on whatever information you change showing that a mistake has been made. This is an unfortunate drawback which points to the lack of autosave features.

One other big con to the system is that when outside information is integrated, such as education material from a subscription database online, the patient chart only reflects information documented when added through specific links within Cerner. As an example if you add documentation that you printed off a handout for the patient you cannot link the handout to the patient chart after the fact. This means that prior to printing anything you HAVE to enter the database from a specific designated page in Cerner and attach it to the chart. Only one way in and one way out.
Poor organization in the add-ons in Cerner.

Ethan G.

Cerner PowerChart Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Overal Cerner PowerChart satisfies electronic medical record needs well with a few areas of improvement. I am not involved with EMR purchasing decisions but from what I understand, Cerner PowerChart is a good product for the money.

Pros

Cerner PowerChart provides a comprehensive location for all medical information. Information display can be customized to fit user needs and provides quick access to pertinent info with continued use. Home screens are customized for each particular practitioners credentials and needs making many commonly used tasks always right at hand. Accessing information from other visits is also easily performed regardless of which encounter the patient was initially pulled up. One of my favorites is the results callback functionality that allows easy review of discharged patients culture results.

Cons

While Cerner is not difficulty to use, not all features are entirely intuitive. Many functions require repeated use and lots of clicking to access and perform relatively simple tasks. While there is a quick link for Meds Manager access for pharmacists, the link does not pull up the current patient profile opened, necessitating re-entering of the patient encounter number which is a bit tedious. Additionally, the disjunction between FirstNet and PowerChart is inconvenient and would be nice if charts opened through FirstNet opened PowerChart rather than a separate entity of FirstNet given the difference in functionality between the two programs.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Javier A.

365 Medical EMR

Reviewed on 2017/04/19

Must customizable EMR solution I've had the pleasure of working with. Customer support is just a phone call away and they always answer in 5min or less. Powercharts allows providers to customize macros and auto text in order to streamline their daily workflows. Solutions also provides voice recognition and is compatible with Microsoft and Apple computer. Front desk Sheduling system allows offices to configure call protocols, auto verifies insurances and makes registration paperless. System does seem overwhelming at first, but like everything else if the user is willing to learn and puts their part in customizing their favorites the system simplifies their workday.

Pros

Very customizable to any practice specialty.

Cons

When there are parts of the software that can be improved an enhancement needs to be submitted. These enhancements take a long time to take effect.

harder to get used to after using EPIC for EHRs

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

I learned to use it and I think with more time I will get better as always, but the learning curve was a bit different from EPIC charting which seemed to be more color coded, and easier to navigate, but also full of facility wide things that had to be filled out but didn't apply to the patient, so that was cumbersome.

Pros

It is easy to use once you get to know where things are located, but it has more of a windows software feel than a mac software. It is more utilitarian in that it is not colored and the font is small, which is good for efficiency in documenting once you know where things go and are located. Does not have hangups that EPIC has when company wide documenting is required for certain areas that sometimes do not apply to particular patient such as was the case on a pediatric floor where I was using this system and I appreciated not having EPIC.

Cons

Hard to get used to. I was coming from using EPIC mostly, which seems easier and more intuitive to learn. I found the smaller black boxes and hidden tabs harder to get used to when trying to document daily things. As a nurse the med administration tab wasn't as easy to use as it is in EPIC and wasn't as intuitive and I sometimes messed up at first in documenting med administration especially when trying to add something that wasn't scanning from the pharmacy and I had to do an override.

Tara H.
Industry: Medical Practice
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easiness compared to other products

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Pros

Compared to other medical management systems, I believe this one is the most simple ones. Less tabs, information populates accurately, and little to no system errors.

Cons

Some functions like the time frame. When a specimen is drawn and collected, results will collect at the time frame the lab was sent out and not the time the lab results were actually populated. Also, it would be nice if certain document notes when created would populate as a New notification.

Powerchart review

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Once you learn Cerner Powerchart, it is a great software, very user friendly, organized, easy to navigate.

Pros

I use this software at work to access patients charts, send messages to other healthcare team members, and to document. Charting is very easy, software flows well. There are lots of shortcuts that make work faster. Pages can be customized to make everyone’s work more efficient and personalized. Search buttons within patients charts are also very useful when learning more about their medical and medication history. This software makes patients’ chart very well organized, easy to find all the necessary information, easy to look up and updated patients’ information such as pharmacy, medications, allergies.

Cons

Frequent software updates are often times less useful and more confusing than previous version, takes some time to learn and get used to it. In some cases support team needs to be contacted to reverse or modify new updates for software to be more user friendly. Occasionally there are problems with the serve, errors when logging in, which are addressed by support team in a timely matter.

Antonice L.

Cerner review

Reviewed on 2019/10/06

Well, my overall experience my be a little more significant than others. This program is ONLY used by those in healthcare settings so I get a little more experience and time with it than most.

Pros

I like that it’s now easier to chart. We’re able to chart vitals, admitting notes, doctors and nursing notes, ADL’s and vitals in one swoop. Things aren’t really hard to find either. Once you’re directed where to go and with some practice( which in a hospital of clinic setting you HAVE to use this everyday) it becomes just like texting. Easy and smooth

Cons

There IS a lot of clicking. You basically click maybe twice to get to different options but that is overlooked pretty easily.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Hilda K.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Easy of use

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Cerner millennium is easy to use again and faster as well.

Pros

I can save multiple precompleted templates and diagnosis, making it so is to use and it really save time. However this possibility is not available on all Cerner products. Cerner millennium is the best so far. Cerner medconnect allows to tag and paste from previous note

Cons

Cerner Medconnect is the worst product, not user friendly at all! One can not save a pre completed template! There is a possibility of entering smart text, however this is time consuming. “Tag” functioned can take a couple of minutes! It’s really a waste of time

Adam T.

Organized, but repetitive.

Reviewed on 2019/05/29

Overall it wasn't a hassle and made each day better with it's ease of use. Some days you feel like there's just so much to be done through it and you wish it didn't exist but that's part of what you sign up for in nursing!

Pros

I liked the ease of use and how it allowed for enough tabs for all my patient's charts during any shift. IT allows for most of the required charting to be done just with clicks via the mouse and not too much typing which saves time. It would help generate scores for certain diagnostics which also aids time management.

Cons

A lot of it was repetitive and sometimes the options for a certain part of an assessment didn't quite exactly meet what was assessed. It also times out after a while, which was unfortunate for those days when charting seems to take forever and you leave your desk by a patient or coworker and if not promptly resumed you lose what you were working on, had it not been saved. Makes you really want to get friendly with the save button.

David R.
Industry: Medical Practice
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Easiest way to find patient information and keep it organized

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

As someone who speaks with patients on the phone constantly, I find it useful to be able to open multiple Powerchart files at once. This keeps me focused on the task at hand and after a phone call I can return to the previous patient I was working on. All in all this program has been a life saver.

Pros

The amount of information that is able to be found on this software and organized is truly amazing. This program makes it simple to find patient information in seconds and utilizes the ability to open multiple patients at the same time when things get frantic. I really enjoy the layout of the tabs and subsections within them, as they make it easy to find certain aspects of a patients file without digging through everything and wasting time. As long as staff members upload the information and keep it current there are no problems keeping track of a patients medical record and information.

Cons

I dislike that the software is not always intuitive. Some times there is information that I would like to find, but until I am trained on where to find the information in Powerchart I cannot locate it quickly. With that said, I believe there is simply a large learning curve for so much information and it will just take time - not really a fault in the service itself.

Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Medical software at its finest

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

Pros

I have been using Cerner Powerchart for over four years and still consider it the best medical software. I find the layout to be easy to navigate and extremely user friendly. Unlike so many other software, you dont have to click through tons of boxes to complete a simple task

Cons

I really love this software and struggle to find cons. Occasionally when I click on the software icon the software doesn't load and occasionally when I'm using the software it freezes and I have to close it and reopen.

Sara Y.

Antipsychotics and Interventions

Reviewed on 2016/09/21

We started on Powerchart in Feb 2015. At that time our antipsychotic rate for residents on dementia was at 15.8%
With the use of the behavior tracking and the interventions in PowerChart we have successfully reduced our antipsychotics to 4% !

Pros

I really like the Behavior Eval/Intervention sections. With the use of Results Review you can see what was documented and what intervention was used in a report form to use in your Psychotropic Meetings.

Cons

The only thing I would say is a con is that there is no "Other" or free text box in the behaviors to choose or track something more specific.

Alex A.
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Excellent for patient tracking!

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Pros

The best software I've used for tracking patient's history and orders. It helps me accurately organize and make sure all radiology orders performed for selected patients are attached to their specific radiologist reading tests.

Cons

The only difficulty that I came across with at the beginning was finding reports and documents for patients when they were requested. With some training this task becomes pretty easy making this software absolutely useful!

PowerChart: A robust EMR system, but not easy to learn

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

Pros

The software is customization to some extent. It can help to ensure that clinical staff are filling in all required documentation, which is nice from a coding and charging perspective. It makes sure that all the required sections are filled in that are needing to bill something.

Cons

It is not an easy program to learn. It also can take a significant amount of time to chart things if your staff is used to being able to write their own notes.

David C.

There when you need it

Reviewed on 2019/07/26

I work with this on a daily basis and it is a godsend, I pull records on a daily basis filing appeals and what not. I could not be any happier with the software, it is rarely down and when it is, It has been fixed rather quickly.

Pros

I like the ability to look for records by "doctor" it makes it so much easier and fast to get the records you need without searching the entire account and visits.

Cons

I really have too many bad things to say about the software system, it has always been there for me when I need it, I have yet to run into any problems when finding records. Finding older records can sometime be a little tricky but again it works great for me.