Dentrix Ascend

Cloud-based dental practice management software

4,2
3,9
4,2
4,4
Krista i. C.

Good software

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/04/01

Good to fair. I use it at offices when I temp

Pros

I first was introduced to dentrix in dental hygiene school. At the time, It was the only dental software I knew of and felt as though it was pretty easy to use. In hygiene school, you do not use the software to its' best ability because we are limited to what we do w the dental charting, etc. I have used dentrix often during temping and do find it a little confusing, but I seem to manage pretty well with help from staff.

Cons

I am not a big fan of dentrix, I think it can be confusing and non-user friendly at times.

Bevin M.

Dentrix Ascend review

Reviewed on 2019/08/24

overall i like the product but correcting the accounting issues is something that is very frustrating and would possibly cause our practice to return to Dentrix

Pros

like that its cloud based and always evolving with updates as users make recommendations to improve. I like that I can access it anywhere.

Cons

I do not like the line item accounting and that credits can not be left on the ledger without affecting provider totals. A/R from previous months changes based on patient over-payments. We have all our fee schedules in and we do write offs at time of service /claim generation but there are still instances where we have over-collected and the only way to have the adjustment for the patient over-payment is to put the EOB in as insurance over-payment which is not accurate or refund the patient directly when the EOB is received, which is not practical

Steve G.

Mixed feelings...

Reviewed on 2019/06/21

We are a multi-site group practice so going to a cloud EMR just seemed essential. Going with HS made sense b/c of the stability. Some features are really great... and some are major works in progress IMO.... some are just lacking altogether.

It seems with the financial backing of HS the software could really be developed faster and with more features and if it did that, would probably completely own and dominate the cloud platforms. Right now, within the community of DDS I'm associated with, I still hear people gripe about Ascend and talk about how the prefer other cloud based sofwares... but we just wanted to go w/ Schein b/c of the long term stability. So we're hoping the features that are lacking will be built in soon - hopefully 6-12 months max. Things like online forms, robust a medical history module, a great lab case manager module, and a referral module seem essential to modern group practices...

Pros

Ascend was the obvious choice for us b/c H.S. is a stable company that isn't going anywhere. though we had heard some really good things about a few other platforms... stability seemed critical. The support has been very good through the facebook group and the support of friday forums, etc... this has felt very good...

Cons

There are some - what I would consider very basic- features that I am surprised they would even launch a platform without. Starting with a robust - AWESOME - medical history form that new patients (and even existing patients) could fill out prior to their visit. This feature should be online and built into the software. From what I can tell, groups that have been on Ascend for years are still doing paper... scan... upload to the D.C. That feels very 2005.

Thought Ascend is "new" (7 years?) it still lacks an online medical history form and a robust way of customizing, having it pop up at visits, etc. Dentrix core finally just got this... but it hasn't showed up in Ascend yet. Things like referring procedures in the software.... right now there is no way to track referrals. Things like a lab case manager... these are every day things in a dental office and we are stuck using major work arounds with paper tracking and google docs for lab cases and yes- we're struggling to get a good system going. This seems like after 7 years it should be in the software.

I'd like to know some realistic timelines (+/- 3 months?) of when features like this might be coming. it's hard to know if "soon" means in 2-3 years or in 3-6 months. Hopefully some of these very "basic" features will be implemented soon.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

James B.

Satisfied from the start

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

We have always been happy with Dentrix Ascend. Our IT needs and budget are a fraction of what they otherwise would be. We can always access and stay up to date with no additional cost or waste of time. Ascend continues to get better and better.

Pros

Intuitive. It has eliminated wasted time and money on training.

Cons

While being next generation technology and cloud based it has been very slow to publish APIs and become operable with so many other businesses that can enhance dental practice management.

Mirza B.

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

Analyzing the accounts receivables ,unscheduled treatment plans ,recare patients,patients portions and so on are some most needed and valuable reports from the power reporting.

Pros

The best thing i like in this software is there user friendly functionality which make it so different and valuable to all.

Cons

Sometimes it get froze so we need to refresh the browser to proceed.

Amber M.

Easy to use software

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

My overall experience with Dentrix Ascend is good - When we find a glitch or would like to see something change, we are able to get help from customer service quickly. I like that Dentrix accepts requests to make changes and prioritizes the requests by how many other companies are requesting the same change.

Pros

What I like most about Dentrix Ascend is that it is easy to use, web based so I can access the program anytime. They have a very good resource and support center to answer any questions I have. I utilize this for training new employees.

Cons

What I like least about Dentrix Ascend is that reports that I run are not consistant. I can run one report that gives me figures/numbers and run a different report for the same criteria and I can get different results.

Edward C.

Dentrix Ascend

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Pros

Easy to use. Easy to switch to different screens, not separate modules. Available anywhere, anytime.

Cons

Still has some issues with losing appts.

Fonda S.
Industry: Civil Engineering

Great Software

Reviewed on 2019/08/15

Been really good experience.

Pros

ease of use. Clean, uncluttered look. Low learning curve for team members

Cons

Has been slow to implement upgrades in the past.

Rylee Y.
Industry: Alternative Medicine

Perfect for multiple offices!

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Very good I work for multiple dental groups and have recommended this to my other dental groups who were not using it!

Pros

I work with a dental company that owns five different offices! This software is awesome because it can easily be used in any of the offices and the information doesn’t have to be sent back-and-forth it is already in the software.

Cons

Having adjust from the original Dentrix software to the ascend version has some minor challenges and differences.

Nikole G.

A work in progress

Reviewed on 2020/04/02

The pros outweigh the cons for us! To have a cloud based software offers convenience like no other. We are hopeful that other practices will chime in and vote for more practial features that Dentrix Ascend will be able to add to the software and take them to a superior level!

Pros

Amazingly convenient! It's so nice to be able to work remotely since this software is cloud based. If there is a power outage or internet goes down at the office, we can continue on using cellular data.

Cons

The lack of features available that are extremely common for dental practices. For example, printing off routeslips 2-3 days out is not an option, only "next day" route slips are able to be printed. Also, unable to send a prior-authorization to a secondary insurnace.

Nicholas H.

Great Ascend

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Ascend has made it possible to cross train our clinical staff through it’s intuitive design; and this has made our patient turnover very efficient, while reducing the need for addition front desk personnel.

Pros

This software saves countless hours of additional administrative work and processing mistakes. Our office switched from Eagle Soft, which we ran on a closed network, about 5 years ago; and after learning how to use theAscend software, I can honestly say that it was one of the best decisions that we have ever made for our practice.

Cons

There’s nothing that I don’t particularly dislike about the software. However, there is room for improvement with some of the newer features. For example, real time benefits along with automated verification and eligibility would make Ascend the perfect software, in my option.

Greg M.
Industry: Executive Office
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Multi-site infrastructure

Reviewed on 2019/08/23

support, from both my customer success manager, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], as well as the tech support team have made the experience of converting to Ascend easy to manage

Pros

ability to report, review, and manage all offices without having to be on site.

Cons

there are many of my current feature requests included in the road map, but currently i would like to see a marketing campaign tool.

Srinivas V.
Industry: Higher Education

Dentrix for dental practice management

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Patient appointment and payment methods are great. there are no features that allows to capture patient feedback. charting is good and can be changed over time. referral process is still manual. there should be a voluntary/ optional training program for subscribers every year offered by the company.

Pros

user friendly, easy layout, great features

Cons

tricky to use, inability to add templates, referral processes

Kathy H.

Every Update Makes it Better

Reviewed on 2019/06/21

The best thing so far is being able to utilize Patient Communications, emails and texts make a huge difference with our recare.

Pros

This software is so user friendly. We are readily able to find what we need using the drop downs. When we want to add something to a chart it is clear where to find the chart, or notes, etc. Every time there is an applied update it improves the process and makes sense. Ascend is very in-touch with what we, the users, need.

Cons

There are only a few hiccups we have found but they are small and we have found work-arounds; some verbiage in the texts or emails, but they are all being looked at or addressed.

Elizabeth C.

Excellent move from server-based Dentrix

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Before using Ascend, we were constantly having server and networking problems. There was no telling what morning we would come in and have a problem accessing our PMS. It happened so frequently that when we finally had our server crash, we jumped on the opportunity to upgrade to a cloud based program. Although using Ascend is a complete change from using Dentrix, we became familiar with the new program within a few weeks and have never looked back! It was the best choice we ever made!

Pros

I love that the software makes regular updates that I don't have to download and apply myself. The ease of having our program available on different devices like an iPad makes it extremely convenient. Ascend is highly user friendly, if you can use a webpage, you can use the program. I also love not ever having to worry about an access problem when I have an issue with the server!

Cons

There are some features not available. There aren't as many options to change settings for individual practices as there are in server based programs. It was difficult to get used to using only one module at a time; ie: I can't have the ledger open on one person and look the chart at the same time.

Bruce C.

Dentix Ascend

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

We are clearly making better decisions and better financial forecasts with the dashboard. It has made the phrase "work smarter, not harder" a reality for us!

Pros

There are multiple things to like about this software. First and foremost is the ease of use and intuitive flow. The second and for some of us, importantly, the support is immediate, friendly and definitive. Problems are easily solved during our busiest time at the office.

Cons

The end of month statement procedure took more time to generate initially than I thought appropriate. There have been continual improvements to that function.

Veronica H.

Dentrix Ascend Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

We have used it for several years and have never had any major issues.

Pros

It is very user friendly. If you have any issues with any part of the software you can go to the help center or community forum and find the answers you are looking for.

Cons

Setting up reports are a bit difficult, and entering patient information sometimes doesnt transfer to a family member.

Dorca P.

Keeping it real-

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Our team just got onboard with the online booking feature and it seems to reaching those hard to reach recare patients, which is great.

Pros

As a first time dental software user, I am pleased with the interface and ease of navagating through Dentrix Ascend. I love that they are constantly updating and bringing new features to Ascend that are specific requests of most of their customer base. They go above and beyond hearing and addressing our needs as the consumer.

Cons

What areas of improvement I feel are needed, having the ability to change an insurance from primary to secondary and visa versa without using so many clicks and steps. Also having the ability to print detailed receipts for specific collections, more specifically for Flexible Spending and End of year tax statements. Otherwise, perfect system.

Mendy R.

Ascend is the BEST!

Reviewed on 2019/08/21

Pros

I was a long-time regular Dentrix user so when I branched out to open my own practice, I wanted something that was similar to what I was used to but also had even better perks! And I feel like we got just that with Ascend. It’s easy to use from any computer, laptop, iPad, phone or even from home. And the BEST part is they are always asking their current users what can be improved upon... they want their clients happy with Ascend! I love it.

Cons

Only a couple of cons... but I think that the Ascend software developers are currently working on these:
No time clock within Ascend
No lab case manager

Mia K.

Dentrix Ascend Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Dentrix Ascend helps us to schedule patients, assist with insurance, and allow us to have paperless office, which is the bulk of what we need in the office.

Pros

I like that I can access this software from any location and even on my phone. It allows me to be able to assist patient's and access the schedule when I'm not in the office.

Cons

I don't like the way the Day sheet report prints out. I don't like how if a dollar amount is over $1000 it doesn't show the full number on the report when it's printed out. I also don't like that I can't tag payments with multiple tags. For example, If I enter a credit card payment I can only tag they credit card type but can't add like a tag for the doctor that provided the service for whom that payment is going towards. I also don't like that we can't customize text or send manual text messages to patients. I'm still getting use to using the software but the power reporting I find it not very user friendly.

Peter K.

Fired my IT. Never have another Network and software issues

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

Pros

Cloud storage with HIPPA compliance.
Being able to access the complete software at off site .
Constant new feature updates.

Cons

Lagging response due to internet speed and connection.
Separate module for xrays

Kayte B.

Best Dental Software I've Used To Date

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

This software has helped our practice optimize each patient appointment and improved our office flow dramatically. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cloud based software.

Pros

I have utilized four separate software systems in dental offices and Dentrix Ascend has by far been the best. If you are computer/internet versed it is a great software to invest in. Being cloud based I love being able to access the software anywhere, they are always updating and adding great new features, the customer service representatives are helpful and friendly every time you call in, the insurance area is very impressive, everything is easy to use and navigate (excluding reports).

Cons

The reporting area in Dentrix is very hard to navigate. I do have to call in to run most reports that are not standard, but the customer service reps are always kind and eager to help.

Ivy C.
Company size: Self Employed

Critical Part of Success

Reviewed on 2019/11/01

I purchased a satellite office from a retiring dentist. I am practicing 2 1/2 - 3 days a week by appointment only by myself (no staff). I can't imagine running the office without Dentrix Ascend. I worked as an associate for 16 years at a practice that used standard Dentrix. I keep telling my old boss to purchase Dentrix Ascend. They never uploaded the updates that came via disk, so they kept piling up. They did not want to pay for the IT guy to come to the office to update the system.

Pros

I love the automatic updates to features that pop up when I log in with full explanations available for me to choose when to watch.

Cons

I have no complaints about this software.

Miroslav K.

Reviewed on 2019/11/01

satisfied 7 out of 10

Pros

cloud base solution. easy of use software.

Cons

Missing some of the key features such as the ability to send predetermination to second insurance, tracing predetermination claims.

Susan L.

Dentrix Ascend review

Reviewed on 2018/10/26

We are an older, small practice that doesn’t take insurance- all fee for service. We file for the patient but don’t know if they get paid, so there is a lot of end of month phone calling to clean up overview screen. Also the text messages should be customizable and indicate when one is sent. Overall, I am pleased with the program and the support and don’t know why there are so many negative comments. I really like being able to access from home or my cell phone.

Pros

Cloud based. Good support. Good initial training. Great for a small fee-for-service practice that doesn’t need a bunch of bells and whistles.

Cons

1. The monthly fee. 2. Can’t run Xray program on Mac (maybe things have changed). 3. Have to click numerous times to get to patient notes.