Dentrix Ascend Reviews

Dentrix Ascend

Cloud-based dental practice management software

4.1/5 (114 reviews)
Elizabeth C.

Excellent move from server-based Dentrix

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Before using Ascend, we were constantly having server and networking problems. There was no telling what morning we would come in and have a problem accessing our PMS. It happened so frequently that when we finally had our server crash, we jumped on the opportunity to upgrade to a cloud based program. Although using Ascend is a complete change from using Dentrix, we became familiar with the new program within a few weeks and have never looked back! It was the best choice we ever made!

Pros

I love that the software makes regular updates that I don't have to download and apply myself. The ease of having our program available on different devices like an iPad makes it extremely convenient. Ascend is highly user friendly, if you can use a webpage, you can use the program. I also love not ever having to worry about an access problem when I have an issue with the server!

Cons

There are some features not available. There aren't as many options to change settings for individual practices as there are in server based programs. It was difficult to get used to using only one module at a time; ie: I can't have the ledger open on one person and look the chart at the same time.

Dorca P.

Keeping it real-

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Our team just got onboard with the online booking feature and it seems to reaching those hard to reach recare patients, which is great.

Pros

As a first time dental software user, I am pleased with the interface and ease of navagating through Dentrix Ascend. I love that they are constantly updating and bringing new features to Ascend that are specific requests of most of their customer base. They go above and beyond hearing and addressing our needs as the consumer.

Cons

What areas of improvement I feel are needed, having the ability to change an insurance from primary to secondary and visa versa without using so many clicks and steps. Also having the ability to print detailed receipts for specific collections, more specifically for Flexible Spending and End of year tax statements. Otherwise, perfect system.

Kayte B.

Best Dental Software I've Used To Date

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

This software has helped our practice optimize each patient appointment and improved our office flow dramatically. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cloud based software.

Pros

I have utilized four separate software systems in dental offices and Dentrix Ascend has by far been the best. If you are computer/internet versed it is a great software to invest in. Being cloud based I love being able to access the software anywhere, they are always updating and adding great new features, the customer service representatives are helpful and friendly every time you call in, the insurance area is very impressive, everything is easy to use and navigate (excluding reports).

Cons

The reporting area in Dentrix is very hard to navigate. I do have to call in to run most reports that are not standard, but the customer service reps are always kind and eager to help.

Susan L.

Dentrix Ascend review

Reviewed on 2018/10/26

We are an older, small practice that doesn’t take insurance- all fee for service. We file for the patient but don’t know if they get paid, so there is a lot of end of month phone calling to clean up overview screen. Also the text messages should be customizable and indicate when one is sent. Overall, I am pleased with the program and the support and don’t know why there are so many negative comments. I really like being able to access from home or my cell phone.

Pros

Cloud based. Good support. Good initial training. Great for a small fee-for-service practice that doesn’t need a bunch of bells and whistles.

Cons

1. The monthly fee. 2. Can’t run Xray program on Mac (maybe things have changed). 3. Have to click numerous times to get to patient notes.

Jesse W.

Gutless

Reviewed on 2017/04/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our office made the switch from Viive, which itself was a very frustrating piece of software as it would constantly drop connection to the server even after several "fixes" and technical support sessions with both Mac and Viive. I was excited for Dentrix Ascend, being a long-time Dentrix veteran, knowing the power of the Dentrix applications. However, in my experience with Dentrix Ascend so far, it is clear that Ascend is a gutless wonder, especially compared with how powerful Dentrix Proper is (and even Eaglesoft, for that matter!), and as such, is has been an utter disappointment. Full disclosure: I handle the front office/insurance/accounting end of things, so I cannot speak to the clinical end of things. My review is solely of the front office and accounting end of things. Keep in mind it may be delightful for the clinician. I am pleased with the fact that we no longer have to deal with constant server connection fails, so that is nice. But still not enough to make up for Ascend's other shortcomings. My first gripe is that once an insurance carrier is established, you cannot edit the payor ID. And once groups are established under a carrier, you cannot move the groups. This means, if a carrier is set up incorrectly (say, with payor ID 06126 that directs the clearing house to print and mail all claim) with several groups, you have to manually recreate the carrier and each group underneath, which is a cumbersome and time-consuming process. Secondly, with the procedure codes, many of them default to "mouth" for treatment area, even for common codes that virtually every insurance company requires more specific information. If the procedure code is used a single time, you lose the ability to edit even the treatment area. This was a big problem for us, as treatment plans converted over with several codes that are uneditable because they are "in use." We have had to create several "alias" codes, which the clinical side now has to remember to choose. Third, Viive allowed for payment tables under each group (similar to Dentrix Proper and Eaglesoft and several other software options), that would allow any exceptions in payment to be logged for future prediction. This is not the case in Ascend. This was an important Viive feature for us because we participate with an insurance company who calculates payment based on two fee schedules: maximum allowable per provider contract and maximum allowable according to policy contract. With Ascend, you are at the mercy of coverage percentages and cannot account for the two separate yet inseparable fee schedule. I got excited when I saw the "copay" field in the coverage table and spent a large amount of time updating this field for each group, only to find out from technical support that this is not a covered feature. So, ultimately we have had to develop external tools to help us predict patient responsibility. Dentrix Ascend has completely failed us in this area. Finally, we have hit a roadblock with NEA attachments. We are having to continue using Viive because of the inability of ledgers to be transferred over to Ascend (ledgers include open claims). To make a long story short, because we are maintaining a subscription to NEA through Viive in order to be able to keep sending attachments for unresolved claims, we are unable to send attachments through Ascend. Our only options are 1) to terminate our NEA subscription under Viive and print and mail all claims requiring attachments, 2) to manually move treatment over to Ascend and resume claim troubleshooting under Ascend, or 3) print and mail all claims from Ascend requiring attachments. We are probably going to go with option (1), but really, any option is a huge inconvenience. Bottom line, as the numbers and insurance person, I would never recommend this software in its current state. I am a huge Eaglesoft critic, but I would wholeheartedly recommend even that software over Dentrix Ascend. Ascend, you have a long way to go before you will get my vouch.

Pros

Access from anywhere, line-item accounting, some user-defined reports, everything is backed up in the cloud. There is potential.

Cons

Just about everything else: confusing ledger, user-unfriendly insurance setup, inability to edit procedure codes, inability to override insurance payments at a group level and on a procedure code level, NEA attachment failures.

Sharon S.

Great Dental Software

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Pros

We truly love the ease of this software, it's easy to learn, anyone new in the office is able to learn the system very quickly. For our office, it was a perfect solution, we have multiple locations and can quickly toggle between locations for scheduling and payment, it has made it extremely easy to oversee both locations. Another great aspect to this software, since it is web based they are able to continually update and make it even better, this has been great, we are happy with everything they have created!

Cons

There are several features we are really waiting for, an online time clock, and online RX.

Nikole G.

Excited about changes

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

This has been a learning experience and often learning new things and seeing changes, if not daily, on a weekly basis. I'm truly excited to see the addition of the insurance verification and can not wait to use it and I look forward to additional perks soon!

Pros

I like that Dentrix Ascend is ever evolving to keep up with what we experience in the office and with carriers and/or patients.

Cons

I don't like that some simple tasks, such as printing route slips more than the "next business day", are out of our control. Would also love to see overall daily metrics on dashboard, including how many new patient calls we are taking, not just showing up. I also think we should be able to have adults/parents/guardians automatically set to "non-patient" so it doesn't interfere with our # of patients since we're pediatric specialty office.

Katie D.

Better than some, but needs more work

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

I like that updates are somewhat frequent & it seems as though the developers really are pushing to make it a great system. However, it is apparent that the developers have not spent much time behind the scenes in a dental office. Some of the updates seem incomplete and/or rushed and we end up with more problems than solutions. I am still optimistic and hope that more updates and features are coming in the very near future!

Pros

It is nice to not have to worry about a server with a cloud based system. The imaging is impressive and easy to use. In time & with updates, Dentrix Ascend will be a great program.

Cons

Having to refresh Ascend multiple times throughout the day is stressful. Specifically, when there are changes in the schedule, a user may not see it for 30 minutes or longer because they have not refreshed the page. A cloud based system should always be current. Patient Forms are not something we can use because they can't be customized. Unfortunately, if you choose to use a form, it must go to every patient and you must use the developers content. I really wish the Patient Communications feature were better. I miss not having a way to automatically ask patients for reviews after appointments, it was our best marketing effort & now have no way of doing it. There is no way to send out an email campaign to several patients. An API is so important and it should be a top priority. Not being able to utilize 3rd party software or even customize what we are able to use in Ascend leaves us in an uncomfortable position. There are several aspects of various items missing or incomplete that are common sense in all other practice management software.

Scott S.

Dentrix Ascend great product

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Overall experience has been very good and the customer support has been amazingly and surprisingly good! The software does take some time to get used to, but the functions are there to make your practice as successful as possible

Pros

Very easy to use once the learning curve has passed. Most everything is easy to read and easy to find

Cons

Many functions (especially Power Reporting and building useful reports) are VERY difficult for the average person to set up and use. It’s an apple product which makes functionality with other products that are commonly used either difficult or gives you limited options (ie sensors)

Scott V.

Ascend is Great

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Before Dentrix we were a six office company, with six individual servers. They had no ability to communicate/share patient info. So we operated like six small offices. Ascend has allowed us to operate as one company, with six offices. For anyone looking to have a firm grasp of the business side of your business, Ascend is the software for you.

Pros

Ascend is easy to use, and very reliable. The reporting capabilities go above and beyond what you need, especially if you are a multi-location operation. And the fact that it is cloud based means you don't need to invest in servers or a lot of infrastructure. All you need is an internet connection.

Cons

Only small drawback is there is no lab case management feature, yet.

Mark N.

Need some updates

Reviewed on 2019/03/08

It is always a constant challenge for us because our organization still cant submit claim electronically. There are things that we found that makes our work overflow easy, however, Dentrix Ascend should have the same function as the original Dentrix Software.

Pros

Ease of access and very easy to utilize.

Cons

Needs improvement with electronic claim submission, update on insurance ID function, and needs improvement for recoupment for billed in error procedures. The unresolved claim function should be filtered to have just certain days of overdue.

Jeri G.

Dentrix Ascend has worked really well for our office

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

We have had very little trouble - fits the way we run our practice really well. The only real problem has been not being able to chart what we would like on the visual chart.

Pros

We like that it's web based and easy to access from anywhere. It allows me to easily help patients when we may be out of the office.

Cons

I do wish it were more flexible and allowed more individual adjustments - particularly with charting.

Debbie R.

So many features

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

I find many more customizable options with Dentrix Ascend than with my prior software. I also love the video tutorials. Weekly tutorials are also a big help to understand changes BEFORE they are implemented.

Pros

I really like the abundance of features this software offers as well as the ease of use. Customer service is always quick to answer and walks you through your issues until you understand it.

Cons

I was not happy with the initial 20 hours of training. I feel it went at too fast of a pace and tried to cover too much in a short period of time. Not much time for questions.... Our rep did her best to get all answered for us, but there was a lot I had to learn on my own via video tutorials and customer service calls.

Kira P.

Dentrix pro's and con's

Reviewed on 2016/10/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall Dentrix works amazing, as long as every staff member is trained properly on the software. The system functions well for storing patient information and having it so easily accessible to any staff member. The appointment book/scheduler is easy to maneuver and is customizable to the needs of the day. This system is a must have in our office! It's helps us run our day smoothly.

Pros

There can be so much information stored in the program, which is great if you know where to find it. The extra notes sections and flags are always so great to have and anyone can access them from any computer. The appointment book/scheduler is the perfect way for each member of staff to keep track of the day. I love being able to see when patients arrive, if they have been confirmed, if they are running late by just one quick glance at the schedule.

Cons

Sometimes when a patient chart is open from multiple monitors in the office, there will be a lag in updating the info. Sometimes notes or treatment will be added twice in this case.

Kathy H.

So Glad We Switched!

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Overall the office is so pleased with the switch to Ascend. Every day we learn something new that will help our practice. The Friday Forums for learning is such a help. We are a small office but it doesn't matter. There is something to make all offices more productive.

Pros

The best part of Dentrix Ascend is the ease of use. The transition was smooth and stress-free. When you want to do something, like charting or notes, the place to do that is easy to find. It all makes sense.

Cons

The only thing we've been disappointed in, and I use that word loosely, is the limits. Things are changing so quickly that when there is something we can't so "yet" it can be frustrating. But the updates are always great.

Candice P.

Premier

Reviewed on 2019/06/14

Pros

I love the fact that I can easily switch between different locations. As a manager I can see anything that’s going on in any of my offices within a couple clicks.

Cons

Dentrix ascend is missing some of the key components of traditional dentrix. Example time clock, lab tracking, better security features, closing out months,

Ashley M.

Dentrix Ascend

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

It's a great software, I'd recommend it to any other dental office!

Pros

I used to use Dentrix before Ascend came out and I must say this version is so much better. It's much easier to use and much more user-friendly.

Cons

It is still fairly new so there are sometimes issues that cannot be resolved or features that have not yet been added.

Carina F.

Ascend is ascending in quality but not quite there yet

Reviewed on 2017/06/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

It is centralized and a business manager or director can see the entire scope of the patient's status from account aging, to insurance claims status, to clinical particulars.

Pros

includes text reminders, ability to see claims status and follow-ups with insurance, ledger activity and balance is staggered nicely, imaging function and treatment planning is awesome (can obtain bird's eye view from dental chart)

Cons

have experienced glitches and entire days where the software has been completely disabled; not everything saves instantly (has nothing to do with internet speed but speaks to the nature of cloud-based software and, by nature, the downfall of having an offsite server).

Jennifer H.

Dentrix Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

Overall I like it but the Insurance and posting should be updated.

Pros

I like the Insurance eligibility screen and the new features of the new verification process.

Cons

Having to delete claims in order to refile insurance with changes. Posting money/insurance it needs to be divided into batches so we can balance or by user.

Amanda B.

How did we ever get along without Ascend?

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

This software is modern, intuitive, and ten thousand leaps forward from other software that was developed in the 90’s. The fact that it is growing and improving every few months, based on what clients want is amazing. I can’t say enough good things about this program.

Pros

Easy to navigate.
You can get anywhere you need to go in the program from every screen, and each person can find the path that works best for them.
Makes tasks such as submitting insurance claims, signing charts, and treatment planning easy.

Cons

It is still growing, so some functions such as medical billing isn’t available yet, but Ascend is growing so quickly these things are being added.

Becky P.

Friday forum

Reviewed on 2019/06/07

Pros

Very informative, easy to use, easy to understand. I am going to love using the verifying of insurance. We spend a lot of time on the phone.

Cons

to many ways to check on things.
Also when pulling up the recall list; it would be nice to make notes from that screen

Monique L.

I have used dentrix in private practice for several years, im not 100% happy with some of the features but it gets the job done.

Reviewed on 2017/10/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

There is definitely room for improvement when it comes to functionality and user friendly options. I also feel simplicity is a must as well.

Pros

Customer service is good, any updates are easy to take care of. The patient scheduling is very easy to do, and I like the colors that you can choose from for different providers. I also like the Pinboard feature, it is very useful and handy. Reports are easy to run and very helpful and useful.

Cons

Not user friendly, dental charting can use some changes. Don't care for the x-ray component. There are way too many pop ups when you opening the patients chart and you have to navigate thru all of them every time the chart is opened which is a headache. Medical / Dental history has to be scanned into the chart and there should be an automatic form where information already gets populated into patient's chart, it would save time. Would love to have a split screen on one page when treatment planning, charting and viewing xrays so you don't have a open and close screens back and forth.

Hilary L.

My favorite software yet!!

Reviewed on 2019/06/13

I really like it! The only hard part is choosing the user each time, you can’t keep retaking images, and it gets slow since it’s online platform.

Pros

It’s extremely user friendly. It operates and looks similar to FaceBook. The program is clear and not grainy like old Dentrix

Cons

If you are logged in on a computer, it doesn’t automatically choose you as the provider. It makes you choose your name for each service (imaging, notes, exams, probe chart)

Mark K.

Everything needed to do your charting, billing, scheduling

Reviewed on 2018/04/27
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Runs smoothly. Integrates easily with xrays. Templates make paperless a snap. So simple even a dentist can operate it!

Cons

Mucho expensive. I'm sure there are knock-offs that do it all for a fraction of the cost. This is the 400 lb. gorilla though.

Clint M.

Software has a lot of potential, but needs interface and functionality improvements

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

Overall this program has a lot of potential to be great, but for the cost things should be running much more efficiently than they do. The interface could use some serious re-modeling and consideration for a fast moving practice that needs to reference notes, images, chart in one place instead of clicking around constantly to get information

Pros

Bouncing between separate offices is easy to work with, managing appointments, and using the ledger works great. Keeping track of family members, adding watched surfaces, and adding procedures is great to work with. X-ray features have improved over time

Cons

The overall interface of the clinical notes, charting and imaging is not user friendly. I've commented countless times about referencing the clinical notes with a patient in the chair is hard to use and hard to look back on old notes clicks around and x-ing out of boxes. The old dentrix note setup below the chart was much easier to use and made it much easier to refer to the chart in front of you. The image quality on xrays are ok, dexis is better than schick. Schick images are so bad I hardly consider them diagnostic. Dentrix and Schick both point the finger at each other and Dentrix answer is to use a twain device which looks like an interface from Windows '98 and is not user friendly or conducive to a fast working office.

4.0/10