Dentrix Ascend Reviews

Dentrix Ascend

Cloud-based dental practice management software

srinivas
  • Industry: Higher Education

Dentrix for dental practice management

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Patient appointment and payment methods are great. there are no features that allows to capture patient feedback. charting is good and can be changed over time. referral process is still manual. there should be a voluntary/ optional training program for subscribers every year offered by the company.

Pros

user friendly, easy layout, great features

Cons

tricky to use, inability to add templates, referral processes

Fonda
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Great Software

Reviewed on 2019/08/15

Been really good experience.

Been really good experience.

Pros

ease of use. Clean, uncluttered look. Low learning curve for team members

Cons

Has been slow to implement upgrades in the past.

Steve

Mixed feelings...

Reviewed on 2019/06/21

We are a multi-site group practice so going to a cloud EMR just seemed essential. Going with HS made sense b/c of the stability. Some features are really great... and some are major works in progress IMO.... some are just lacking altogether.

It seems with the financial backing of HS the software could really be developed faster and with more features and if it did that, would probably completely own and dominate the cloud platforms. Right now, within the community of DDS I'm associated with, I still hear people gripe about Ascend and talk about how the prefer other cloud based sofwares... but we just wanted to go w/ Schein b/c of the long term stability. So we're hoping the features that are lacking will be built in soon - hopefully 6-12 months max. Things like online forms, robust a medical history module, a great lab case manager module, and a referral module seem essential to modern group practices...

Pros

Ascend was the obvious choice for us b/c H.S. is a stable company that isn't going anywhere. though we had heard some really good things about a few other platforms... stability seemed critical. The support has been very good through the facebook group and the support of friday forums, etc... this has felt very good...

Cons

There are some - what I would consider very basic- features that I am surprised they would even launch a platform without. Starting with a robust - AWESOME - medical history form that new patients (and even existing patients) could fill out prior to their visit. This feature should be online and built into the software. From what I can tell, groups that have been on Ascend for years are still doing paper... scan... upload to the D.C. That feels very 2005.

Thought Ascend is "new" (7 years?) it still lacks an online medical history form and a robust way of customizing, having it pop up at visits, etc. Dentrix core finally just got this... but it hasn't showed up in Ascend yet. Things like referring procedures in the software.... right now there is no way to track referrals. Things like a lab case manager... these are every day things in a dental office and we are stuck using major work arounds with paper tracking and google docs for lab cases and yes- we're struggling to get a good system going. This seems like after 7 years it should be in the software.

I'd like to know some realistic timelines (+/- 3 months?) of when features like this might be coming. it's hard to know if "soon" means in 2-3 years or in 3-6 months. Hopefully some of these very "basic" features will be implemented soon.

Rylee
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Perfect for multiple offices!

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Very good I work for multiple dental groups and have recommended this to my other dental groups who were not using it!

Pros

I work with a dental company that owns five different offices! This software is awesome because it can easily be used in any of the offices and the information doesn’t have to be sent back-and-forth it is already in the software.

Cons

Having adjust from the original Dentrix software to the ascend version has some minor challenges and differences.

Bethany

Love Dentrix Ascend

Reviewed on 2021/05/17

Pros

* Software updates happen automatically at night when we're out of the office do it does not interrupt our work day.

* Being able to put in down grades is a huge help

* Very user friendly

Cons

* Certain things are not as customizable as we would like ie: patient forms, text message communications

* Would love more options on insurance coverage

* When you change an address or phone number there should be an option to apply it to everyone listed on the account. It is very time consuming to change it on every single family member, especially when there's like 8 people.

* Switching primary and secondary insurance is very difficult and time consuming

Veronica

Feedback

Reviewed on 2021/05/12

Overall we switched because we were trying to access all patients from all locations and switching to this software has allowed us to do that.

Pros

I love that we can login with ease from anywhere, it allows us to look at charts and complete tasks from any location. I also love the dashboard, it shows what claims need to be worked on and helps keep the team on track.

Cons

The clinical team has not been happy with the way the chart is and when you are placing the treatment and existing treatment in.

Lane

Great Patient Management Software

Reviewed on 2021/05/11

The software has done exactly what we need and they continually are releasing new features that make the software more reliable. I love that it is all cloud based and we don't need a local server.

Pros

One of the most intuitive user interfaces of any dental software that I have seen. Great functionality and reporting tools.

Cons

Like any big brand software, feature requests take quite a while to be implemented, if ever.

Elizabeth

Excellent move from server-based Dentrix

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Before using Ascend, we were constantly having server and networking problems. There was no telling what morning we would come in and have a problem accessing our PMS. It happened so frequently that when we finally had our server crash, we jumped on the opportunity to upgrade to a cloud based program. Although using Ascend is a complete change from using Dentrix, we became familiar with the new program within a few weeks and have never looked back! It was the best choice we ever made!

Pros

I love that the software makes regular updates that I don't have to download and apply myself. The ease of having our program available on different devices like an iPad makes it extremely convenient. Ascend is highly user friendly, if you can use a webpage, you can use the program. I also love not ever having to worry about an access problem when I have an issue with the server!

Cons

There are some features not available. There aren't as many options to change settings for individual practices as there are in server based programs. It was difficult to get used to using only one module at a time; ie: I can't have the ledger open on one person and look the chart at the same time.

Jerry
  • Industry: Higher Education

Needs better customer support

Reviewed on 2023/07/28

Better customer support is greatly needed.

Better customer support is greatly needed.

Pros

Being cloud based is nice. They backup your data and setup is simple.

Cons

When there are issues, it takes hours to get through to help desk for assistance. Seems like issues happen every 5-6 weeks lately.

Dentrix

Reasons for Choosing Dentrix Ascend

To go cloud based.

Not Recommended

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

We spend the majority of our time trying to figure out how this system works. It does not use best practices that have been established by other larger PMs such as Dentrix and Eaglesoft.

Pros

We love the cloud based setup. Like the dash board when logging in. It is an easy layout to understand.

Cons

Unable to run a month-end process to lock down collections and productions. This causes reports to change over time.

Lacey

Easy to follow & use

Reviewed on 2021/05/11

Pros

I like the ease of use...meaning it's easy to navigate. Simplified version of their more complex server-based Software

Cons

I wish the reporting was more like their server-based software

Dentrix

Reasons for Choosing Dentrix Ascend

Accounting is more difficult in Curve

Curve Dental

Reasons for Switching to Dentrix Ascend

Cloud based
Clint
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Software has a lot of potential, but needs interface and functionality improvements

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

Overall this program has a lot of potential to be great, but for the cost things should be running much more efficiently than they do. The interface could use some serious re-modeling and consideration for a fast moving practice that needs to reference notes, images, chart in one place instead of clicking around constantly to get information

Pros

Bouncing between separate offices is easy to work with, managing appointments, and using the ledger works great. Keeping track of family members, adding watched surfaces, and adding procedures is great to work with. X-ray features have improved over time

Cons

The overall interface of the clinical notes, charting and imaging is not user friendly. I've commented countless times about referencing the clinical notes with a patient in the chair is hard to use and hard to look back on old notes clicks around and x-ing out of boxes. The old dentrix note setup below the chart was much easier to use and made it much easier to refer to the chart in front of you. The image quality on xrays are ok, dexis is better than schick. Schick images are so bad I hardly consider them diagnostic. Dentrix and Schick both point the finger at each other and Dentrix answer is to use a twain device which looks like an interface from Windows '98 and is not user friendly or conducive to a fast working office.

Veronica

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

We have used it for several years and have never had any major issues.

We have used it for several years and have never had any major issues.

Pros

It is very user friendly. If you have any issues with any part of the software you can go to the help center or community forum and find the answers you are looking for.

Cons

Setting up reports are a bit difficult, and entering patient information sometimes doesnt transfer to a family member.

Curve Dental

Reasons for Switching to Dentrix Ascend

Reports are still easier than Curve Hero.
Anita

Extremely Satisfied!

Reviewed on 2021/05/17

Pros

Having used their non-cloud based Dentrix prior to the Ascend version, it was a seemless transition. Very user friendly, even our older employees caught on quickly and adapted.

Cons

The only con I have is the lack of some features, but they are doing a wonderful job slowly adding them to the program. I was just hoping for a time clock feature, and they debuted it last week! Now if there was a way for employees to leave notes; such as, I forgot to clock in at 7am or I didn't get a lunch today....

James

A great decision to implement.

Reviewed on 2021/05/24

Overall the experience has been great. We have been very pleased with the constant updates and improvements.

Pros

We have over a dozen offices in multiple states. Ascend allows us to seamlessly work in each office from our home office. We can see, in real time, how each office is working and more importantly how effectively. The skill level in our offices has improved dramatically.

Cons

It is expensive! But, as we use the features that the software has it becomes apparent that it is worth it.

Mia

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Dentrix Ascend helps us to schedule patients, assist with insurance, and allow us to have paperless office, which is the bulk of what we need in the office.

Pros

I like that I can access this software from any location and even on my phone. It allows me to be able to assist patient's and access the schedule when I'm not in the office.

Cons

I don't like the way the Day sheet report prints out. I don't like how if a dollar amount is over $1000 it doesn't show the full number on the report when it's printed out. I also don't like that I can't tag payments with multiple tags. For example, If I enter a credit card payment I can only tag they credit card type but can't add like a tag for the doctor that provided the service for whom that payment is going towards. I also don't like that we can't customize text or send manual text messages to patients. I'm still getting use to using the software but the power reporting I find it not very user friendly.

Nikole

A work in progress

Reviewed on 2020/04/02

The pros outweigh the cons for us! To have a cloud based software offers convenience like no other. We are hopeful that other practices will chime in and vote for more practial features that Dentrix Ascend will be able to add to the software and take them to a superior level!

Pros

Amazingly convenient! It's so nice to be able to work remotely since this software is cloud based. If there is a power outage or internet goes down at the office, we can continue on using cellular data.

Cons

The lack of features available that are extremely common for dental practices. For example, printing off routeslips 2-3 days out is not an option, only "next day" route slips are able to be printed. Also, unable to send a prior-authorization to a secondary insurnace.

Kayte

Best Dental Software I've Used To Date

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

This software has helped our practice optimize each patient appointment and improved our office flow dramatically. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cloud based software.

Pros

I have utilized four separate software systems in dental offices and Dentrix Ascend has by far been the best. If you are computer/internet versed it is a great software to invest in. Being cloud based I love being able to access the software anywhere, they are always updating and adding great new features, the customer service representatives are helpful and friendly every time you call in, the insurance area is very impressive, everything is easy to use and navigate (excluding reports).

Cons

The reporting area in Dentrix is very hard to navigate. I do have to call in to run most reports that are not standard, but the customer service reps are always kind and eager to help.

Miroslav

Reviewed on 2019/11/01

satisfied 7 out of 10

satisfied 7 out of 10

Pros

cloud base solution. easy of use software.

Cons

Missing some of the key features such as the ability to send predetermination to second insurance, tracing predetermination claims.

Open Dental and Dentrix
Ron

Mostly there

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

I love the portability, however, the interface with iPhone isn’t quite 100% and the chrome book interface stopped working altogether. The reports are too customizable and need to just have more basic reports to choose from rather than making us build the entire thing ourselves.

Pros

It is great that it is cloud based and easy to access and the updates happen often to improve use.

Cons

Because it’s cloud based, the response time can be slow. Especially the imaging. Also the reports are way too confusing

Cynthia
  • Industry: Insurance

Good

Reviewed on 2021/05/18

It was easy to learn

It was easy to learn

Pros

It is easy to use and learn. I like that I can log in anywhere.

Cons

More options when entering insurance. Accurate patient portion numbers. Have the over 90 seperated from the 60 insurance aging report

Joan

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

My overall experience is good. I am a start up agency for mobile delivery of services and I need a platform that is accessible to multiple users and will work as we grow.

Pros

I like the generation of the Patient Clinical Record as we submit it for the patient’s medical record.

Cons

The charting is time consuming and could be better streamlined and tailored to my needs.

James
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Complete and utter lack of necessary features

Reviewed on 2018/01/04

Don't let the sales rep trick you into purchasing like we did by promising future features. The pace of development is GLACIAL at best. Promised patient forms when we signed up in Q2 2017. Q1 2018 and they still haven't been delivered. We now have to go through the pain of converting back to Dentrix G6 or Open Dental. Avoid this immature product at all costs.

Pros

Fairly simple to pick up and learn. Mostly because it is just that, incredibly simple. Integrates all your costs into one monthly subscription

Cons

Missing so many features that are basic necessities in a modern dental office. No electronic billing, no patient forms, no ERA, completely lacks lab tracking or a way to track referrals to other dental offices. No communication log, integrations with external services or programs, even just basic editing items like payment tags you've created is restricted. The document center can't even be sorted!

Mark

Need some updates

Reviewed on 2019/03/08

It is always a constant challenge for us because our organization still cant submit claim electronically. There are things that we found that makes our work overflow easy, however, Dentrix Ascend should have the same function as the original Dentrix Software.

Pros

Ease of access and very easy to utilize.

Cons

Needs improvement with electronic claim submission, update on insurance ID function, and needs improvement for recoupment for billed in error procedures. The unresolved claim function should be filtered to have just certain days of overdue.

Michael

Katz dentrix

Reviewed on 2021/05/20

Pros

Cloud based, easy to use. X rays very compatible

Cons

Hard to figure out percentage of collections to pay associates