Unanet A/E

Project-based ERP for mid-to-large size AE firms

Rhonda S.

Clearview InFocus

Positive

Pros

Ease of daily use and streamlining of all of my tasks.

Cons

there is nothing that I dislike about this software.

Erica L.

Functionality at its Finest

Reviewed on 2017/03/20

Being a newer accountant in the engineering industry, I had a bit to learn about how jobs are billed, tracked, etc. It is definitely a different process than accounting for goods being sold! I came into my job as the implementer of InFocus and learned A LOT simply by learning the system. InFocus is so easy to use and straight forward. If there is something that I don't catch onto right away, the Clearview support team is always ready to help and quickly help resolve the issue.

As the years have gone on they have updated the system based on feedback from their clients, which is amazing! The changes they have made make things run more smoothly and it is great to know that they are listening to the needs and desires of their clients. InFocus also has a built-in reports, but also its own report builder tool if the report you need isn't automatically there you can create it yourself!

Overall, I would definitely recommend InFocus to anyone looking for new engineering software. The program is easy to learn, easy to maneuver in and provides everything you would need. Even your specific need isn't met you can simply reach out to their support staff and be taken care of. It is a great software, but even better customer service - thank you Clearview team!

Pros

Ease of use, availability of support staff, resolution of issues, suggestion forum Clearview provides

Cons

Export to excel needs manipulated often, if modified the journals will show both versions

Pamela J.

Accounting and IT Manager

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

Choosing InFocus is one of the best decision we've made. Training can be a challenge when adopting any new system. Clearview offers extensive training videos, consultations, and webinars. Considering most software products continue to improve and implement client-suggested upgrades, I appreciate Clearview's workshops, where users can continue their InFocus education on advanced levels. Having the opportunity to attend has helped me to really hone in on configuring our InFocus database in ways that are compatible with my company's workflow. I also picked up tips and tricks other users developed for their needs.
Customer service is also very important to me. I appreciate responsive, knowledgeable technicians and staff members who listen. They do not over promise, over-sell, or mislead when discussing requests, issues or customization. They believe in empowering their users. I LOVE THIS!! They offer a workshop for those wanting to learn advanced report writing. Support staff will work through any issue or request until it has been satisfied.
InFocus demonstrates its value. Invoicing is fast. Communicating project details flow more smoothly. Preparing invoices in various formats are easier. All this and more are offered for a low monthly cost per user. They even offer a training version of our data for a very low monthly fee, and any user can access it. This has been crucial when I'm working through project setup options and need to test my ideas.
Overall, I love it.

Pros

It's easy to navigate, more intuitive than other products we've used, and customizable. It's difficult to pick my favorite aspect; it's such a great product overall.

Cons

I wish user's could change the color of the Sandbox (training environment). Having it the same color as the live version can make it a bit confusing when training others.

Jane G.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Its a must have for keeping track of your resources.

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

It's been great experience! We have been working with the Clearview team since 2012, the staff is not only professional in their approach to develop and improve the software but they genuinely care about their clients. We feel that we have had the opportunity to develop a partnering relationship with Clearview's management and staff. This relationship, and using the InFocus tools effectively have allowed us to do a more efficient job at managing our current operations and planning for the future.

Pros

The analytics help me to keep track of multiple data points without spending tons of time reviewing data. With a few clicks of my mouse I am able to see resource utilization in any timeframe I need, department and associate availability at a glance, projects that have budget concerns, I can see how well we are spending against our plans and easily track opportunities/proposal status at a glance. It's help make my job easier.

Cons

We use Project Planning and Resource Scheduler frequently and it works fine but I would like to see more effort go into improving the functionality of its components i.e. Earned Value, Change Order tracking and just having better tools to manipulate the scheduled data.

Tracy M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Clearview Infocus Review

Reviewed on 2018/05/10

Pros

This product has many bells and whistles. The integration between the opportunity (marketing) through proposal to accounting is pretty good.

Cons

This product is on the complicated side & not exactly user friendly. You also have to pay for training with them. There are some unique features to this program that if you don't know them, you can get lost or frustrated. There is not a good user's manual but there are some tutorials for various modules that are pretty good and customer service does get back to you in a timely manner for questions.

Michael H.

Masterful project accounting suite

Reviewed on 2018/07/18

It is a little slow to get started, but the control and functions are well worth the time investment.

Pros

Although there is a steep learning curve for portions of the software, it offers extensive customization. If there is something that you want it to do then it can probably be achieved with some knowledge of SQL or Powershell. All modules are included, which when you consider this the pricing is very competitive

Cons

It does not include payroll; however, I usually prefer to have payroll separate anyways, as the functionality of payroll from a dedicated software is usually much better.

Matt M.

great onsite service

Reviewed on 2018/12/20

na

Pros

Brock came out and did a great job meeting with us and helping to build customized tools for our team to best utilize the software.

Cons

we've paid for so many self-hosted licenses, that it makes it really tough to convert to a cloud based platform and just basically throw away all those initial costs.

Mary F.

Office Manager

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

Pros

Ease of use and the support of the product is great. The reports are wel formatted and laid out. You can extract information easily, according to your needs.

Cons

I would like to see the training modules offered free of charge. The monthly maintenance is increasing and in US dollars.

Loretta K.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Why I like Clearview accounting software...

Reviewed on 2015/02/13

Pros

Our company has been with Clearview since 2008 and we've grown with them over the years. What I believe I like best about Clearview is that besides it being fairly easy to use, someone is always available to reach for help via phone or email (during business hours) and they are prompt in responding back. Whether I need a custom report made quickly or training on a new release item they've just put out, it is comforting to know that I'm always going to be taken care of quickly.

Cons

I'm really happy with Clearview so really don't have anything specific that I don't like.

Stephen B.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Good product getting better.

Reviewed on 2018/12/14

Pros

Been using it for 10 years. The company has grown a lot in that time adding new features.

Cons

It is sometimes a little rigid in the use cases that it supports.

User for over 1 year

Reviewed on 2018/12/16

staffing projections are better in our office.

Pros

Metrics and planning - Ability to check in on projects in real time.

Cons

The UX is clunky. I wish it was easier and more intuitive. There's a lot of glitches - like adding staff to resource scheduler means that the staff cost is not calculated in project planning.

Kevin W.

InFocus

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

It has been an easy day-to-day experience for me

Pros

Quick and easy interface for daily accounting

Cons

Could use a more robust interface and better cross-product compatibility

Cindy M.

Not entirely intuitive, but once you get the hang of the software, it's fine to use.

Reviewed on 2017/05/08

Pros

Very easy to do an expense report, and once you get used to the program it's fine to use and you can enter your time quickly.

Cons

You have to use internet explorer to use the program, and there are a lot of strange keyboard commands that are not intuitive. If you don't know the quick key commands, there end up being more steps than necessary to log your time.

Joshua M.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Easy to use and powerful

Hours recording

Pros

Ease of use in recording hours for timesheet

Cons

UI format is relatively bland—could use more customization

Alexa M.

Not terrible

Reviewed on 2017/04/12

The system was a step up from our previous software (Wind-2). However, it was not as user friendly as I would have liked and it lacked the ability to completely customize and build reports and client invoices. It was a good value for money in the sense that it did offer a great deal but it left me wanting more.

April M.

Software is good but could be better

Reviewed on 2017/05/08

Pros

Comment section under time tracking provides us the ability to accurately account for the time we spend for each client project.

Cons

I find the interface of typing in job codes to record time user UN-friendly. It is difficult to type in a job code without getting some type of error- especially if you are unsure of how many tiers or sub-categories there are.

Teresa K.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Great software for small to medium size firms

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

Timesheets are in on time due to the capability to use app on cell phones. Can close the books in a day versus 3-5 days as in the past. Invoices are sent faster than before.

Pros

Easy to use, very intuitive, software is always available and have never had any issues with connectivity

Cons

Would love more canned reports to choose from

Chuck A.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

InFocus A Great System

Reviewed on 2018/12/15

With hundreds of projects and five offices our managers need to stay current on the status of their work and have the tools to develop new proposals. InFocus is indispensable for personnel management and project performance. Plus it provides financial statement and accounting data that is crucial for senior management and independent accountants. The data available and the variety of the reports are limitless. Also, our clients want their invoices and reports in a wide variety of styles. The open structure and adaptability of the InFocus system is a constant marvel at design and intuition.

Pros

Its flexibility, power and data retrieval ability. We have forty-five people in our company, with five office locations and six profit centers (disciplines). Of these forty-five people, more than two thirds are field personnel that are often asked to work in various disciplines or support the work in our other offices. At any one time we have a couple hundred projects open for scores of clients. Keeping track of this is incredibly difficult. We worked with Clearview for a couple of months in order to transfer our existing clients, projects, time records and accounting records to our new system. With over 16,000 historical projects and a current work in process in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, we matched to the penny. Working with them is a pleasure.

Not only is the InFocus package all that it claims to be, the folks at Clearview are great to work with. Sure there is a bit of a learning curve, but the answers are so intuitive you can’t believe you did not think of it yourself. Their support literature, training videos, white papers and support site are extremely helpful.

There may be comparable products out there, but I seriously doubt there is anything better. If there was a better product or solution, these folks would match or exceed it. We all have competition; we need competition to push us to do a better job.

Cons

Getting others in our organization to appreciate and better use this management too.

Gregg F.

Great SAAS accounting solution for an ACEC firm

Reviewed on 2018/02/26

All accounting software and data is offsite, no servers or data to worry about locally! :)

Pros

* No need to keep software on servers on site. Everything is in the cloud.
* Local client install.
* Easy to use trouble ticket system when there is an issue.
* Since it is cloud based, it is always up to date.

Cons

* Occasional data slow downs which we have no control over because the software is running on Clearview's servers.
* The Microsoft ClickOnce technology used for the local client requires web browser ClickOnce integration which is built into Internet Explorer and Edge web browsers, but doesn't always work well with edge. You can get a ClickOnce plugin for Google Chrome, but it's not a transparent "click the icon on the desktop" scenario there either.
* No hosted SMTP server. If you want to send email, you'll have to utilize your own SMTP server, at an additional cost and there is also a charge if you want Clearview to help you set it up. This is my only real "gripe" about the service. It should come with it's own email capability for the cost and to truly be a service.
* I think it is a great Software As A Service overall, but you should know about the weaknesses going in.

• Industry: Civil Engineering

Clearview InFocus gets the job done.

Reviewed on 2019/12/17

Pros

What I like the most about this software is the fact that it is very versatile and can be customized to suit your company's needs.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that when the product needs an update the users who are in the field and do not have access to good internet are left unable to do their time sheets because they cannot get into the screens without the update being done.

Barbara P.

Top Notch Product

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

We are a small architectural firm and opted to change to Clearview InFocus when the program we were using was getting too complicated and too expensive. InFocus met our needs in all our required billing, project tracking, etc., but for a smaller investment.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone who wants a workhorse software. I can't say enough about it.

Pros

I like the ease of transition from one software to another. It is a very easy software to learn and use. I have been using since 2010, and it has progressively gotten better and better. New features are always coming on board. Trust met...you will like it!

Cons

Reports are good but I required a great deal of customization to get the results needed. The one downside is that it does not have a payroll application. If you do in-house payroll, you will need a separate software to run along side InFocus.

Deborah R.

Reviewed on 2012/04/30

As a mid-sized architectural design firm, we have found Clearview InFocus to be the best integrated accounting and project management software on the market. We migrated to InFocus in May 2010 after using two previous industry specific applications, which never performed as promised. The transition to InFocus was well managed and painless. InFocus is highly flexible and easy to learn and use. It is especially forgiving of input errors, with mistakes easily reversed or voided. As designers of large and highly complex institutional projects, we have sophisticated client invoicing needs. InFocus offers every conceivable billing scenario and allows for multiple billing types on the same project.

Likewise, the project management modules are flexible, user friendly, and cover all facets of project documentation. The default and custom reports are extensive and easily changed and manipulated. It is easy to pull data out of InFocus in a myriad of formats and easy to customize reports. Clearview's client support is also great - easily accessible with a highly responsive support team. They provide excellent software support as well as accounting solutions. The integration between the project management and accounting functions is seamless.

InFocus has allowed us to streamline our finance and project management functions and provided real savings in accounting consultant and in-house staff costs. InFocus is the best performing software I have ever had the pleasure to purchase. It exceeds expectations and has more than met every promise of the developer. This is top-notch software with top-notch support. Any size firm in the design industry would be well advised to adopt InFocus for their accounting and project management software.

John P.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Clearview

Reviewed on 2018/12/20

Great product! Allows you to focus on operations as opposed to being a slave to the product

Pros

Flexibility
Scalability
Allows you to focus on operations as opposed to being a slave to the product.
Pricing was exceptional compared to the competitors

Cons

Tedious to setup multi-company - have to understand the relationships (i.e. Parent - Child - Sister) before you begin to setup.

Jake G.

InFocus Review - Great Product

Reviewed on 2018/12/14

Pros

For a small firm like ours, InFocus is very affordable, yet has all the functionality that we can function like a medium to large firm from a financial perspective. We can also meet all of the government FAR regulations.

Cons

The only con is that there are so many features, it sometimes takes me time to remember what they all do.

Eugenia M.

Awesome software

Reviewed on 2019/03/12

Clearview Infocus is the best accounting and project management software I have used so far. There is no waiting time, data is real time.

Pros

-functionality
-flexibility
-user friendly

Cons

-moving from project administration to project management and back when setting up budgets.