Adobe Captivate Prime

LMS for self-paced, instructor-led and blended learning

Kim F.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Struggling Novice

Reviewed on 2020/01/30

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been great to work with, however, when items need to be escalated sometimes the issue is with Captivate and not Prime or somewhere in the upload. It would be very helpful to have someone who understands both software. Also, the people at the help desk are nice, but I lack confidence in their knowledge. There have been a couple of occasions where they think something can be done, but when testing it, realize it cannot be done. If this is my escalation point, I feel they should be experts. Something as simple as the non-optional playbar should be common knowledge with an expert.

Pros

Ease of updating courses. I appreciate the sandbox so that I can test and learn. The ability to add branding. Preview as learner.

Cons

Toggling between Author and Administrator when uploading a course and assigning learners. Non-optional playbar. Deciding on how many points are needed to complete a skill. When the system is new it is an unknown number. Some modules within a course receive a checkmark when complete, but some show complete, but a checkmark is not displayed. This is confusing for the learner. Set incidents for completion based on when the course was pushed. For example, if a course is pushed automatically and should be completed within 2 weeks. It appears that the software will all set an actual date due.

• Industry: Market Research

Easy to use for a beginner

Reviewed on 2021/01/07

Pros

I'm new to managing an LMS and so I can't compare Captivate Prime to other platforms. In Captivate Prime, I can easily add/delete users, add/delete content, and create courses. What I like most about this platform is how I can see everything that has been uploaded as course content in the Content Library, and I can use the search function to identify a training and easily update all courses linked to that content.

Cons

My relationship with my Adobe account manager is very minimal. The team seems to experience a lot of turnover because we have only used this for less than 2 years and I have already had 3 different account managers. They rarely ever reach out to see how you are doing, and they only contact you when they want a reference call for a prospect.

• Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used Other for Free Trial

IN Seach of tommorrows learning and development software - The Future Self Learning Workforce

Reviewed on 2019/10/04

The overall experience was really good. I tried to see whether a project program could be written to onboard the technology within a company or clients organisation Mainly step by step guidance and some ideas on adoption to ensure the program will be integrated within an organisation. Especially the current new employees joining companies who are used to contributions on digital platforms. Becomming subject matter experts in fields of their profession. I received a small content edittor which was easy to use and could create rapid content. It was easy to use. If the employee workforce will have the tools available to create content easily and have a system available it could support many areas of business. From product development and all the training content it might require. I hope this trend will coninue and see a system LMS as key within organisations investing in Onboarding , Allow Emplyees be well informed. But also more formal as in complaince and mandatory training requiremnts. Espessially now the governemnt has strickly created legislation for ocmpanies to provide learning and development to ensure future growth and organisations need to invest in development of their employees. No by default get expertiese outside your company first train or ensure you r current employees are enabled with LMS. Dimissial without a training or proven development program will not be tollerated by govenrment.

Pros

There are a lot of functionality I came across which supprised or liked during my short journey in Trial. From the challenges, Badges and points scorings to the social learning and the numerous integrations with content providers to have an uptodate curriculum. Also the features to create content for company employees to allow for a companies Mission Vision and core values being regularly distributed and compliance or code of conduct during onboaridng of new employees seemed easy to use and administer.

Cons

I had a excel file with dummy users - fake employees which I tried to upload. This was not such a success and the infomation available during this process was limited. e.g. error messages where limited and the descriptions on how to create and upload where not that extensive. Overal not a big issue but tricky to get right. For prodution I read there is various integrations options so this was one time.

Alisa M.

Good product, except for the customer support

Reviewed on 2020/02/05

Pros

Simple and clean look, the main features work well, overall good feeling about the product.

Cons

Everything is great until you face a problem. Then you will struggle with the customer support, which is all outsourced and responds to emails after two days at best. After it does, if you had a simple problem, it will be solved. If it's not that common, you will struggle for weeks until someone figures out what was wrong.

The second thing is their certifications. You can't upload your own certificate through your admin profile. You need to contact support over and over and they will ask you to create a template in HTML, and then it will not work for no reason, and you can't test and fix it yourself. Seems like this feature just doesn't work, and you can't provide your learners with a printable certificate, only a badge in their profile.

External groups are completely separated from the internal ones, so it's much easier to use the system for your employees than for your customers.

Chantelle C.

An intelligent LMS Solution for eLearning and Enhanced Engagement

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

One of the major problems that we were trying to overcome was how to deploy our eLearning modules, presentations, and learning plans while still tracking user engagement, retention, and participation all without requiring our own hosted server. Adobe Captivate Prime delivers this solution while providing us with exceptional support.

Pros

The major positive that has Adobe Captivate as our top choice is the wealth of functionality that it comes with. It completely blows the competition out of the water where features are concerned. Whether you want to record training presentations, do screen capturing, schedule notifications and reports, create learning plans, or incentivize your learning modules, prime basically has it all. The program is intelligent in its format delivery allowing our users to change their languages, formats, or playback methods, and it enables enhanced user engagement through offline learning, gamification, badges, bookmarks and revision notes. Unlike other programs, Adobe Captivate delivers for those who want to create an enjoyable eLearning experience.

Cons

Despite Adobe Captivate’s attempts at a more modern user-interface with flat menus and no hidden buttons, the software is not intuitive for those jumping in for the first time. Unfortunately, a lot of the functionality of the software is buried deep within the thick menus and because of the single web page architecture, you need to invest in a lot of time to sort through the program to find what you need. With dozens of buttons and menus, you end up investing a ton of time into experimentation and tutorial reading. This is definitely a piece of software for those who want to use it and nothing else, as jumping in and “going with the learning flow” is not as easy as they make it sound.

Robert D.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Steep Learning Curve

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

The learning curve on Captivate was pretty steep, more people will see Captivate at first glance as something similar to PowerPoint and jump feet first. Unfortunately that is impossible with this program, you will have to learn the basics through tutorials, but that is ot necessarily a bad thing. Once I became more familiar with the functionality of the Captivate I was able to be more creative in my design. Even advancing beyond the basics that one could learn from tutorials. I will say, that I did not learn as much as I had liked I only had the 30 day trial, but I am thinking I will be purchasing the product in the next 3-4 months. I'm looking forward to opening this program up and see all that it can do; I just hope it can fulfill all my expections.

Pros

I enjoyed the fact there was enough features that it allowed you to create whatever you wanted to, to a point. I liked the ability that it gave you a true responsive capability, especially as elearning moves to more to mobile platforms.

Cons

The two things that were really on my dislike list, first not being advised that it is best practive that you should go into settings prior to beginning your project and turn on backup; why isn't this automatic. Second, the application would often become unresponsive while saving, I tried this program on three different computers and they all did this.

Néstor O.

I use Captivate to create interactive eLearning materials for different phases of learning...

Reviewed on 2018/07/17

I can make an interactive multimedia lesson very quickly; a lesson with a menu to different sessions (linking objects to different sections is the key); and not necessarily the links have to be texts. So you can have an iconical or metaphorical menu.My students get the main benefit of my use of Captivate

Pros

I useCaptivate to animate multimedia materials in which a character presents information at a corner of the screen, and his/her voice is heard while texts, graphs, and illustration appear and disappear on screen. This means, audio is most important, and therefore I can use my creativity generating subtitles which users can read in case they have problems with audio, so that they get the information just posing their mouse over the character´s image, for instance. Mouse-over effect isideal forhiding information on screen, and making the learner to interact with material. Another important feature for me is the possibility to have a space where learner can write information while having a lesson.
Making tutorials for applications and software is very easy, as well as for teaching how to complete a process (the how of learning. Tests are also easy to build. And the time-line helps me save a lot of time when developing.

Cons

The fact that I have to upload four different files to a folder in order to link to the executable, so this can be seen by the learners on my vortual room is a bit tedious.

Jordanne O.

Great LMS software for people new to e-learning

Reviewed on 2019/03/15

Pros

It is incredibly easy to use, but has a lot of features who want to do more advance things with their e-learning. I really like that you can set up soft skill and compliance trainings within the environment with relative ease. If you are new to elearning and simply want to put videos or presentations online and track people's use then it is very easy and fast to do. However if you want to create incredibly immersive and intuitive learning for your team then you can also do that with a little bit of practice and experience.

Cons

Even though this software is super easy to use on a basic level it does get difficult to do more advanced things on your own. Unfortunately customer service and training for this software is not super extensive. When I purchased the system I had a representative from Adobe who walked me through the basics and initial set up and that was great, but beyond that you will have to seek out more support on your own to do more advanced things such as learning how to integrate Prime into Salesforce. Some of the features can be confusing and, as I often find with Adobe, their customer service online (not talking to a rep but actually just looking for answers online) can be very confusing and not helpful.

Janice W.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

An LMS with lots of handy features especially for larger companies

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

Pros

Very good for Tracking
Excellent Multi Tenanting configuration possibilities for a business that is a GROUP of companies.
The Branding by use of a theme is a good idea. Love the email templates and automation within the system, it is a very handy feature for tracking learning, very handy indeed! Especially, for larger companies.
The use of setting up a programme and Learning Plans with certification levels and gamification in the form of badges. This is a superb way of delivering Apprenticeships for the Apprenticeship Providers also who work with Employers of large corporations.

A very Commercially viable product that will work seamlessly with their website, love the URL that they can get with their own name first.
Love the idea of booking Virtual class sessions and Lessons so that there is complete tracking and accountability built in.

As a registered Adobe user, I like the fact that I can create assets within the Adobe Creative Suite and then use them within Adobe Captivate LMS. The quality is very high in Adobe so I recommend the integration of Adobe assets with this LMS.

Cons

Found the course more suitable to commercial application.
It is important to have all your assets ready to start building the course and it would take some planning beforehand. This is not an LMS for lighthearted course development, and I do see this LMS as best suited to an ultra security conscious commercial environment that protects its assets like fort knox! For this reason alone, as a business, I would buy it.

Maireanu M.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Good integration and standards

Reviewed on 2018/08/18

Pros

Accessibility: It's easy to access on the mobile and tablet using the app, It has good browser support. Its SaaS and cloud based so that is a huge advantage. Offline access is another plus.
Interface: It’s modern and very intuitive, The single fluidic player for videos, docs and other content is a big plus.
Customization: The courses and content can be easily created and customized. It allows branding and color themes too.
Integration & Admin: It’s good that its SCORM and xAPI compliant and integration with external applications is good. FTP connections is a plus. Quick to publish as well.

Cons

Would be nice if it has internal conferencing integration instead of external integrations.
Would have been nice to have more video tutorials on how to use the platform for different roles.

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

Brilliant but needs some work on navigation

Reviewed on 2019/05/29

I think Captivate is an amazing but there are enhances that could be made to make the adoption for new users better.

Pros

I love that the software gave me this ability to really design the most interactive and sometimes out of the box e-learning courses. I was able to use a multitude of different approaches to really get my learners to into the swing of the content that they were completing. I would love to see more multimedia tool being incorporated into the overall suite rather than separate sales.

Cons

The adoption of this software was not easy. I had to spend some time doing research and getting my head around all the settings that needed to be changed or steps that need to be taken to get the course exactly how I wanted it. There was no easy way to cross check my content with other inputers unless they were an Captivate user and even then they would need to give feedback via a document. The review process could have been made better much how Articulate is doing all online. I also believe that a template library would be incredibly useful to ensure that company CI is easy to follow.

Thierry J.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

In our use of Captivate, we found the software simple and easy to use, however it requires...

Reviewed on 2018/06/06

Pros

Adobe is int lead when it comes to Learning Management Software (LMS). We primarily used this software to create interactive learning modules. These modules were based on various presentations that we wanted to convert from PowerPoint to something more interesting. Needless to say that Adobe delivered. The software allowed us to record our actions which allowed our end users to follow our directions step-by-step. Similar to other LMS, Adobe allows users to narrate our lectures and add closed captioning for those who prefer reading directions.
Lastly, the output quality of the videos is top notch, which is unsurprising for a company such as Adobe.

Cons

The system requires some research and development to get started. The more simple tools are not hard to understand, however, if you are trying to be creative it requires either a course or a lot of Google searches. As great as the closed captioning option is, from a design standpoint, they do not look as good as they could. Lastly, trying to set up quizzes and export them for use is quite frustrating, the file formats are not backward compatible.

Mitchell J.

Adobe Captivate Prime - Easy to Use and Run LMS

Reviewed on 2020/04/20

Pros

Product is very user friendly.
Product is very administrator friendly.
Product is very manager and training friendly.

Cons

Badges are a bit outdated.
Need to have an Adobe ID to use and manage and author.

Johnwon D.

I Love Adobe!

Reviewed on 2020/02/07

I enjoy working and learning a new way to create!

Pros

Everything it has to offer a creative mind!

Cons

Could use more custom presets as well as a dynamic link to adobes other apps

Keri H.

Dependable

Reviewed on 2019/10/27

Everything about it is just wonderful, I have no complaints whatsoever

Pros

I can always rely on this when scheduling my clients for their appt. I get reminders 24 hours before the appt. So I have time to prepare for them.

Cons

Nothing it's absolutely perfect! It's performed all functions and not had an error yet and it's been over year

Mandy C.

Good functionality

Reviewed on 2019/05/20

I am investing my own time in better applying the functionality. We have discussed an enterprise agreement but not clear on the benefits for the required commitment​

Pros

It is very simple to use / set up initially

Cons

Once you have mastered the basics, it is very hard to optimise​ as the support on hand is very poor and the tutorials just deal with the basics

Rebecca P.

Adobe Captivate Prime review

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

Pros

we use this app at work and it helps our business in many ways like watching training videos

Cons

it does not always work. not compatible for all devices

Joshua R.

I love it

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

Pros

how easy it is to use and the results it puts out so fast

Cons

nothing comes to mind, i have tried other similar programs and this seems to be the best

• Used Other for 2+ years

Perspective of a light user

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

It gives me what I need to make video recordings of trainings and demos at a much higher quality than a recorded webinar. Once you figure out the quirks, it's easy to replicate the steps from project to project.

Pros

We use the Captivate suite for elearning development. My use is primarily limited to creating training video recordings to achieve higher quality than simply recording a web conference/webinar. From that perspective, I like the ability to create video demos and edit them to remove my hesitations and other hiccups. With a simple USB microphone, the audio quality is very good, and the ability to do basic editing meets my needs. I like being able to easily create multiple mini videos and combine them into a larger project.

Cons

There are a lot of options - it can be a bit much if you are muddling through on your own. There are a lot of external learning resources available, however. I also wish that it was a little more straightforward to edit individual video files after you've brought them into a project. I find that the graphic capabilities (creating title slides, for example) is a little clunky, so I usually just end up designing those in power point and exporting them as jpeg images for the Captivate project.

Ansonw W.
  • Industry: Events Services
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Best Creative Suite ever!

Reviewed on 2020/04/24

Pros

The interface is extremely user-friendly with some tutorial videos for newbies.

Cons

Nothing but maybe the price could could be more affordable.

Adobe Captivate Prime

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

I like the potential to use Prime for my e-learning packages that I am designing and will probably subscribe to it for a longer test run.

Pros

Interface and features are top notch. The look and feel are also very nice. Functionality-wise, this is a well thought out system and Adobe has definitely years of experience on their side when it comes to this LMS.

Cons

I'm not quite sure who is the target demographics of this software, but having a means to sell directly from this LMS would help for businesses and individuals designing e-learning packages that they want to sell direct. Having more expanded options for Social widgets, etc.

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Use Adobe Captivate Prime to elevate your skills.

Reviewed on 2020/09/19

I have used Adobe Captivate Prime I have enrolled myself for some of the courses and learnt in depth which helped me to improve my skills and grav knowledge over the work what I do regularly.

Pros

Adobe Captivate Prime allows to use a mobile Application which most the users prefer. do that they can continue their learnings during their free time and also during journeys. With Adobe Captivate Prime the course content is very good which provides a great knowledge and skill set to the users.

Cons

The users may need some good communication to understand the content as the teaching is on a good standard and also the pricing of this application is high.

Deann V.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Name Brand Advantage

Reviewed on 2020/02/16

I needed to design new eLearning courses and Captivate was my solution, or so I thought. I had to spend a lot of time learning to use the software platform before I could make the templets work for me. I know learning abilities differ with each individual however, I am quiet good at learning and using new software. This did require a little more effort than originally anticipated. It got the job done but not without suffering.

Pros

The fact that it is a product of Adobe, which is a highly recognized brand associated with professionalism and quality.

Cons

Having to learn the system before utilizing the templets. The advertisement made it seems easier than what it really was.

Tushar P.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Most Helpful Tool

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

It is very useful app and tool

Pros

It is very Handy and user efficient and lovely tool

Cons

It is more difficult to use by icon, rest it is good

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

Excellent feature set - Flexible subscription model

Reviewed on 2020/04/20

Creating instructional content to convey complex ideas.

Pros

I enjoyed the ability to customize my training using scripting. The narration to closed caption also saved a lot of time while allowing for compliance. The cost of the subscription is also reasonable for everything I can do with Captivate.

Cons

Some of the advanced features can be daunting. Fortunately, you don’t have to utilize them ti make an excellent product.