Adobe Illustrator CC Reviews

Adobe Illustrator CC

Industry-standard vector graphics editor

4.8/5 (131 reviews)

Illustrator is the king of vector graphics

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/07/16

Illustrator has a tough learning curve, but once scaled, it unlocks a whole new world of layout and design methods that cannot be matched with other software packages.

Pros

For years, Illustrator has been the ugly brother to Photoshop, (And it still largely is) - designers everywhere would get frustrated with Illustrators 'alternative' work flow when doing the simplest of tasks that would take seconds in Photoshop. - but in the last few years, Adobe have worked hard to make the unique abilities of Illustrator come to the fore.

It's not the ubiquitous image editing powerhouse that is Photoshop, and it's not trying to be. What Illustrator has become is the designers best friend. It has a layer of accuracy that isn't in Photoshop, you can design logos, layouts, text, fonts, anything using Illustrators methods and produce things that can be rendered at any resolution because of it's mathematical vector output.

As software developers, the world is becoming more and more resolution agnostic, every bit of software we make must work on multiple different display resolutions. From tiny mobile phones to gigantic televisions.

If we were to create our user interfaces using photoshops rasterised bitmap output, we would be forever making different resolution sized files. But with illustrator, (when you know what you're doing) - you simply need one file and the use of it's amazing exporting abilities.

Cons

The learning curve (pun intended) of Illustrator is steep. Much more steep if you've come from Adobes other amazing image manipulation software Adobe Photoshop.

For years, the layout of Illustrator, and the subtle UX interface differences has alienated its use for the beginning user, but once you get over the learning curve and the hurdles of "simply finding the right button" - it all starts to click, layers, and masks, and paths all become normal and then a world of accurate design is opened up. Making things that would take a long time in Photoshop a simple task in Illustrator (circular paths, for example, or pattern making are done so much easier in Illustrator than could ever be achieved in Photoshop) -

The best of both worlds (bitmap and vector) is to become proficient in both, but one area Adobe could look at is making Illustrator more uniform with Photoshop in it's way of presenting its user interface. There are *so many* inconsistencies between the two brother software packages.

The best vector graphic designing software out there!

Reviewed on 2019/05/04

Illustrator is a part of my everyday job as a graphic designer, and I'm learning new techniques every day to get more and more out of it.

Pros

Frankly, I am in awe of Adobe Illustrator CC 2018. I use it to design logos, customizing type, create illustrations and even for layout purposes.
The ability to seamlessly transfer back and forth from other Adobe Creative Cloud products such as Photoshop, InDesign and even Bridge makes it very easy to manage work. Illustrator can also be navigated fairly easily. The integration of Adobe Typekit and Spark is also very helpful.
But, what I love most about the Illustrator is its ability to create and manage multiple artboards. It helps in creating a lot of iterations for a project very quickly by quickly replicating the artboards.

Cons

For some reason, Illustrator is unable to open .CDR files. Many times I get CorelDraw files for redesigning the graphic, And I have to convert them to .SVG every single time before importing it into Illustrator, which sometimes modifies it.
I hope Illustrator starts supporting .CDR files. It will be easier as many printers here in India still only support .CDR files. So more designers around me will start working in Illustrator instead of just using CorelDraw if they can just save the files afterwards to .CDR extension.

Michael S.

Professional, Highly-Evolved, and Industry Standard Vector Graphics Software

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

I use Adobe Illustrator to add GFX to animations and videos for some of the largest brands in the world. This program makes my workflow smoother and makes it really easy to collaborate with other creatives across the globe.

Pros

Mastery of this program can spark a creative work environment while helping build a satisfied client base. All the tools necessary to create professional graphics are available. The only limitations are your understanding of the program and your creativity. Adobe Illustrator works seamlessly with the other programs in Creative Cloud. I use Illustrator vectors often with Premiere and After Effects. On some jobs, the vector graphics are already created and I only need to use AI to edit them. On other jobs, I create them from scratch, usually from ideas in a pitch deck or storyboard.

Cons

Rare glitches occur in all Adobe Products. These usually are fixed in updates. Sometimes they are not fixed in time for the job, so a work-around is necessary. The Adobe forums are very useful and active for finding the best solution.

Zee G.

Ideal for working with vector files and designs

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

I have used Adobe Illustrator in conjunction with Adobe Photoshop for various design needs at work. I started using it at first for editing vector files that I had and slowly have learned more and more about using it. While there are many features that I am probably not aware of, I really like it because it allows me to create designs that help my digital operation's job position :)

Pros

- with the help of Illustrator and your own imagination, you can create pretty much any kind of design - shirts, banners, movie characters, etc.
- once you get the hang of it, it can become your best friend and it would be hard to go back to something simpler or rasterized :D (Even Photoshop.)
- unless you embed a huge photo file to your picture, the resulting vector files are quite lightweight (granted, that was my experience as a non-professional designer)

Cons

- it takes a while to learn (probably faster when someone else is actually teaching you instead of just trying to figure it out on your own in spare time between work)

Samuel O.

I've been a designer for more tahn 10 years and this is the best vector software I've used.

Reviewed on 2018/07/14

I definitely save time, because its features are easy to use. It's fantastic for making illustrations and working with vectors. *ai files are standard in the industry so, it's safe to share my files with my colleagues or anyone and everybody cand work with them.

Pros

It's relatively easier to use than other softwares like CorelDraw.
It has a lot of features and with each version it's getting better and better.
I love the feature of creating and editing pdf even when they're not made with Illustrator.
Love the new touch interface when I work on my Windows tablet
The actual desktop interface has been improved with each version
Linking images is a really great feature to get smaller file sizes

Cons

Sometimes it crashes and I've lost my work.
It consumes a lot of resources when files are really big
Not that good for making gigantography or handling really big images
It has less printing an pdf options than other softwares like CorelDraw

Nothing compares to Illustrator!

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

I create infographics, logos, illustrations, and more.

Pros

In my opinion/experience, nothing really compares to Illustrator. What you can do with the program is amazing. From logos, to illustrations, the quality is excellent. There are so many tools that can save you a huge amount of time. One of my favorites is the shape builder tool. I love how easy it is to work with other Adobe products. The library is a wonderful feature to store your most-used colors and elements. Since they've implemented the cloud, you're always up-to-date, so it's great to have all the latest and greatest features.

Cons

The biggest (and possibly only) con about this software is the cost; however, since they implemented the cloud, they do have payment plans, which is what I use. This helps immensely because you're always on the latest version and you can break the cost down into affordable payments.

Kelly H.

A wonderful tool for any creative!

Reviewed on 2019/01/17

Illustrator is an asset to my everyday work. It makes my life as a designer and illustrator so much easier to get ideas out onto paper and into tangible thoughts. I'm able to bring sketches to life and also have basically made the program my sketchbook it is so quick to get things done.

Pros

The thing I like most about Illustrator is a feel like this program really is an easy tool that helps me get my ideas into tangible visual thoughts. Typically I will revert to sketching out what I'm trying to show but this ease of this program makes it easier and faster to do than sketch!

Cons

There are very few things that I don't like about this software. I do wish some of the ways to execute certain things were universal between the creative suite programs as I forget sometimes how to do a function when I'm flipping between programs such as InDesign to Illustrator or Photoshop.

Andrés e. B.

Forget about creative dependence

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

In general lines, the experience has been very rewarding. Since we have had some level of use with the tool, the creativity of many has flourished. Let's say Adobe Illustrator has been a muse for the team and that comes in handy.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the ability to turn ideas into truly striking and original creations. Not to mention that in my area of ​​work, has allowed to evade, in a way, the dependence of third parties (designers or illustrators) to adjust or perform simple jobs in the company.

Another aspect that attracts a lot of attention, are typographies. The result that can be obtained with this tool is truly fascinating.

Where have I used it most?

On the website of the corporation, for the editing of some presentations and of course. In some jobs for Social Networks.

Cons

One of the negative points that I can see in this tool, facing the user who is not a designer or illustrator by profession, has to do with learning. Even though it is an intuitive software, I need a learning process to handle the basic concepts and tools of the system, but ... Who said that learning was bad?
It's worth a try.

I work for a branding agency in Quezon City, Philippines with more that 10 years of experience.

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is very robust. I can do a lot of diffrent kinds of work on here from website design to poster design, etc. I like how fast I can use the software to easily come up with different studies on a project with being a resource hog. And best of all, it integrates very well to all the Creative Suite of apps.

Cons

A small con would be that you realy have to study up on the tools and functions of the application to get the most out of it. Good thing, there are a lot of resources online where one can learn to use the software. But once the user gets the hang of how everything works, it's one of the best software out there to use for design work.

Luis C.

Illustrator, despite being complex at the beginning, becomes the best friend of any designer

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/07/18

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is undoubtedly the best software on the market for anyone who wants to be professional in the world of graphic design. With a simple interface to understand in a first instansia, is an effective app to create different types of projects such as logos, drawings, business designs, concepts of uniforms, cartoons, and many other creations that the artist wants.

In addition, the program does not have any restriction when installing external tools such as brushes, fonts, colors, and different extensions that can be found in Internet forums.

Something very good that illustrator has, is that it fights in an excellent way the problem that is suffered in the graphic design industry, and it is pixelation when it comes to working. With the vector technology that the program integrates, you can expand your drawings to a microscopic level, there will never be pixilation, so you always have a comfortable view of your entire project.

Cons

Due to the vector system that integrates the illustrator, it is necessary to have a high-end computer to be able to have a high performance of the program.

Another problem that I see is that when saving the designs, they occupy an exaggerated size even if they are a small job.

Being a dedicated program for professionals, it is not a good idea to pay the monthly membership charged by the application, so if you are a newbie in the illustration, it is recommended other types of programs much simpler.

Enterprise Level Software for Enterprise Level Designers

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

Pros

Adobe Illustrator gives you all of the tools you need to create remarkable Marketing collateral and pieces for all of your business needs. Great for larger scale, multi-faceted, multi-page pieces. The fact that it's a part of the Adobe suite makes it easy to import assets from difference Adobe programs. If you've used previous versions of the software, it's pretty easy to step right back in and feel comfortable that you understand the functionality. In addition to great software, Adobe also offers a wide range of training/exercise videos that can help you get the most out of Illustrator.

Cons

This is not necessarily a product that I would recommend for novice designers or marketers. I think there are better options out there if you're looking to dip a toe in the water of design/marketing collateral products. However, for larger companies with big aspirations and long-term design projects in mind, Illustrator is the software you should be utilizing.

Jeppe M.

Illustrator is the best piece of software for editing vectors

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

I do a lot of graphic design and often encounter simple images that benefits from being made or converted into a vector format. Here Adobe Illustrator simplifies this process. I do no longer need to worry about conversion of .SVG-files or how fonts are handled. This has made vectors less frustrating and is no longer a part of projects i dread.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator can do it all! Compared to other programs for editing vector graphics this is all you ever need. Vectors can be a pain to edit, especially when compared to raster images. I have yet to encounter a problem with vector editing that Illustrator could not solve. While good free alternatives exist, I have yet to find one that solves the issues of editing and autotracing as well as Adobe Illustrator does.

Cons

Illustrator has a steep learning curve. Like other CC apps from Adobe the sheer amount of tools can be a bit overwhelming at first.
The price of the software is my biggest concern. While it is the best program out there, you also pay an amount that reflects this.

Harry C.

An upgrade from Corel Draw

Reviewed on 2019/03/16

We switched to Adobe Illustrator from Corel Draw a few years ago. The change has definitely been positive. It is a much more high quality design program, that uses vectors to maintain perfect graphics quality with no generational loss. It also deals with large format designs for large pages, which Corel Draw had difficulties dealing with. I would certainly recommend Adobe Illustrator for anyone in the design industry.

Pros

We used to use Corel Draw, and Adobe Illustrator is a massive upgrade from that. It is more clean looking, and has much more professional features.

Cons

It has a steep learning curve, and many of the tools are layered, with hard to find options for their configuration.

Isabel R.

Creativity is the limit, it creates easier with vectors

Reviewed on 2018/07/16

Pros

Illustrator is for designers, creatives in this area. Illustrator needs basic knowledge, it is not easy for someone who is not used to it. Excellent for creating vectors or illustrate. Their tools are endless, You can have several work sites, seeing them in a file. They work better with files in vectors, the files are less heavy. You can create the arts yourself, either for flyer, poster, social networks, or personal use.

Cons

If your files have photos, at the time of saving or they will look pixilated or they weigh a lot. You need knowledge before using it.

Virginia H.

Illustrator is the perfect platform to design logos, or taglines that need refined letter placement

Reviewed on 2018/07/16

Easy logo design. The ability to edit and modify clip art (vector) for other uses. It's just a must have for any designer.

Pros

I love it's ability to manipulate type, and now you can do that with or without outlines. The pathfinder tool allows you to easily create new shapes to make precise designs. I've been working with this program for 20+ years and it just gets better and better.

Cons

When you add gradients to type, you still have to convert them to outlines in order to see the gradient effect. One would thing this would have been resolved by now. You can do it in InDesign without converting.

Pasan S.

My Logo Design King

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

i use this for my daily graphic design works.i do graphic design works as part time job. design logos,Cartoons,Sketches..... etc. i use illustrator for these works. Because we can design creative products using this software.Also we can easily draw sketches using this .So i think this is the number one software for logo designing.

Pros

i use this software daily for my graphic design works.This software help to design creative products.i like all features of this software.But my most like feature is toolbox.it help to design different type of logos for my works.sometimes i want to draw sketches for designing works.toolbox help to do my work easily .

Cons

i can't give a clear answer because all features of this software want to me.But i don't like it's interface.i think it difficult to understand for beginners.it has most of features. But beginners don't know how to use this features.I think illustrator want to user friendly interface.

Mark J.

Great software

Reviewed on 2018/07/17

Pros

It is the go to software to use for design work, you can manipulate images design astounding graphics and create seamless patterns.
One of the softwares you need to master in order for you to call yourself a designer.
It has an extensive following and you can learn all those tools just by watching others work or can enroll in a class.

Cons

When you first get in to design and being a creative mind it is an effort to buy it,in order for you to master it.
It would be great to have some trials for students and art majors.

Pooja B.

Best for presentation drawing

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

As an architect, I use Adobe Illustrator on daily basis, I found it to be very interactive and user-friendly software.

Pros

- Vector quality of the software, helps me print drawing at the scale I prefer without pixellating.
- Stroke feature I love the most, it very easy and convenient to give line-weights.
- Image trace feature is a very good feature, it easily converts the raster image into vector.

Cons

- Color fill features have a scope of improvement.
- Files gets relatively very heavy sometimes.
- There no photo editing features.

Vicente R.

No real alternatives

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Its a necessary everyday tool for me. Most of my designs come from Illustrator and in combination with photoshop makes it really easy to manage my workflows.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is by far the most featured vector-based tool in the market. Its very complete set of tools makes it easy and fast to create my illustrations or compositions.
A huge amount of assets and resources can be found since many people use it.

Cons

What i dislike the most is that it has no real competition in the market, which can have some nasty effects on product development.

Bartosz P.

The best software to work with vector images

Reviewed on 2018/07/18

I work with this software everyday doing my vector graphics.

Pros

I really like the new idea of Adobe Creative Cloud. It's nice synced between your devices. Adobe Illustrator is simply the best tool to create vector graphic. It has nice detection tool to convert drawing to vector images and it was most helpful for me.

Cons

You have to spend a lot of time to know this software. It might be hard for some to learn every feature in this software. It also feels slow sometimes, Adobe should rewrite this product once again in near future.

Elisabeth C.

Start working with vectors and create professional designs!

Reviewed on 2018/07/14

I have worked for a long time with this edits, and it seems to me that every time I fall more in love with her, she allows me to work freely on the designs.

Pros

One of its biggest advantages is that you can work with layers of vectors on top of your canvas or images, it also has an excellent quality and the conversion in images is fast.

Cons

Although it is a graphic editor it is difficult to work with an image, it was made to create diceños from scratch and flat designs with 3D effects, it would be great to integrate more tools for the design of images.

I use this software professionally. I'm a UI / Ux designer, graphic designer and web designer.

Reviewed on 2018/07/14

You will be able to draw quick and simple vector graphics. You can do the preparation of the press documents. Draw graphics which you can use for mobile, graphic and web design.

Pros

All I can think of is I can draw in Adobe Illustrator. I used it most to draw the logo. Today I use it to draw various graphics and icons that I use to design mobile and web applications.

Cons

The older version is much more complicated than the latest version of CC. Previous versions had tiny letters in the menu and it was difficult to do some simple things.

Mostly great industry standard software for designers, illustrators, etc.

Reviewed on 2018/07/18

Pros

For the most part, Illustrator does everything I need it to do very well. Extremely comprehensive and effective. Overall very good piece of software than you need if you are a designer.

Cons

Overall very little problems, although there are small small issues (such as the inability to create artboards beyond a certain size, or to rotate an artboard with all the graphics on it). The subscription pricing is also less than ideal, but that seems to be the direction everything is moving in.

Rob S.

One of the most powerful tools a company can have and give to their graphics/advertising team.

Reviewed on 2018/04/09

The ability to design new logos and graphics and have them look very professional for our business. It also eliminates the upscaling problem some people have when putting graphics on large banners or other things that might distort the image.

Pros

Illustrator lets the user create anything they want and easily scale it to fit any project we may have from a small business card to a 20x20 tent and this allows us to get our brand out there with custom designs and not pay a 3rd party to create our logos and design scheme. We are also in an emerging marketplace so not waiting for a 3rd party to create or design things for our company is also a huge benefit to this software.

Cons

The only bad thing I have to say about this software is its ease of use. It is such a powerful software it is somewhat hard to master the entire program and become efficient at it.

Shalinie P.

This is much more than an illustration tool!

Reviewed on 2018/07/16

Pros

Being able to tweak the fonts has been incredibly helpful and has allowed unlimited possibilities. OpenType is a huge asset! The addition of the macbook touch bar has improved my efficiency immensely .

Cons

Limited photo editing means I have to continuously work back and forth between this program and photoshop which can be really painful. It would be great if the most popular photoshop commands for photo editing were incorporated.