Bloomerang

Donor management software and database for nonprofits

4,7
4,6
4,3
4,6
4,8
Jeff M.

Excellent for Most Non-Profits

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

At a prior non-profit, I switched them from Raiser's Edge (desktop) to Bloomerang. I gained a ton of features and saved quite a bit. The conversion was painless. I've only had to contact support a few times and they have always been extremely helpful.
In my current role, I set them up with Bloomerang as their first database.
I have also recommended it on multiple occasions.

Pros

Bloomerang is intuitive and easy to use.
Creating and reporting with custom field has never been easier and really allows you to customize it to your needs rather than using a standard field for something else.
The ability to create embedded forms is a lifesaver.
The integrated email capabilities save me from having to purchase another solution like Constant Contact. Plus, these interactions are automatically recorded in the donor/prospects data file.
The integrated DonorSearch option is convenient, useful and cost-effective.

Cons

If my organization ran a ton of events, I'm not sure this would be my optimal solution.
Currently, there is only one level of access - so I can't let a Board Member in to look around because any accidental changes they make would be permanent. I know that Bloomerang is working on this though.

Brian V.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization
Company size: Self Employed

Great concept, but flawed and in need of significant improvement

Reviewed on 2015/12/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Simple and intuitive on the surface. Donation/timeline entries are fast and easy. Letter generations is mostly easy. As long as you're not serious about getting legit data out of your software, and don't need to make major mass improvements due to the collateral damage of importing from other software, you might like it. Customer support is probably the best I've ever had.

Cons

No mass update option--has cost us dozens of hours of productivity. Some of their reports use bad math, but apparently they're working on fixing that. It's impossible to run certain kinds of reports that were easy in other software. They're apparently working on a big improvement to reports, but it's going to be months before it comes out. Email newsletter option is insanely feature-sparse--had intended to switch to it, but after trying to use it and discovering it's limitations, I'm sticking with MailChimp. There's not way to export letters in an editable form (pdf download is the only option). In general, I've lost SO MUCH functionality and productivity after my switch from eTapestry. I do believe they are genuinely trying to grow and improve this product. They at least don't stonewall some of the criticism and acknowledge things that need improvement, but their capacity to actually improve the product and fix bugs seems extremely limited. Fixes and improvements come out about as fast as molasses pours in Antarctica, and there's an obvious disconnect between what the developers think is needed, and what real fundraisers actually really need.

Response from Bloomerang

Hey Brian, thanks for your comments. We always appreciate hearing constructive feedback from customers, and we do take it seriously!

You now have the ability to edit individual letters without the need to export!

We also now have a Mailchimp integration!

We're always making improvements, so be sure to keep an eye on the http://bloomerang.co/changelog and in-app notifications for all the new feature updates we will be rolling out!

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Joanne J.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Great Functionality for the Cost

Reviewed on 2020/12/08

The dashboard features are great for keeping me apprised of our overall donor status (retention, new donors) and monitoring my campaigns' status.
I have found the education offerings to be very helpful. The topics are both useful and varied, and the staff that leads and provides the training is always knowledgeable. Also, the external providers who provide training and insights are top-notch.

Pros

I find the software easy to use and the report writing feature is also easy and meets my needs.

Cons

I would like to customize some of the forms we use, but have not found that way to do. Though in all honesty, I have not utilized customer service support to see if the answer here is easier than it appears.

Ashley O.

Bloomerang for a small 2 person office

Reviewed on 2020/11/11

We use Bloomerang as CRM and Donor Database, we use the enewsletter functions, online forms.

Pros

User friendly for non database experts, easy reporting, easy production of thank you letters etc.

Cons

I am pleased. I am sure I don't use it to full capacity. I need to learn more about if there is any easy way to do ticketing. I have used Eventbrite for ticketing as their process is easier. I have used Give Lively for Peer to Peer fundraising. So there is room to add additional features to Bloomerang.

Michelle P.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Bloomerang has everything we need.

Reviewed on 2020/09/14

Bloomerang has changed how we keep track of almost everything and put it all into one place. We are very pleased with it, and we are still learning more good things.

Pros

Bloomerang has amazing customer service. As a small non-profit selecting our first DMS, we reviewed many and then took the plunge and signed up for Bloomerang. Our chats and emails asking for help always receive prompt responses from knowledgeable people. There is no substitute for that level of assistance. We also love the ability to customize our data and all of the other things that can be done with Bloomerang. We have left behind our old systems for keeping track of donations, volunteers, trainings, newsletters, and more!

Cons

We are getting better at creating reports that show what we want to track, but this is an area that feels a little convoluted, probably due to my lack of experience. I have received excellent help from Customer Service to get what I need, though. I have a feeling that the large number of steps it sometimes takes to create a report is necessary and can't be changed. I would also like a smoother way to keep track of people who sign up for a free class, and then to track who actually attends the class.

Sara Q.
Industry: Individual & Family Services

Reviewed on 2020/09/14

Bloomerang helps my organization with our fundraising program - which accounts for 60% of our annual revenue. It has been extremely valuable and we are very happy with it.

Pros

Bloomerang has been a great product from the beginning. It was easy to convert to (just a few minor hiccups) and it's been easy to learn to use. Over the four years my organization has had Bloomerang as our donor database, we have had multiple staff changes affecting users of this program. In all cases, new staff members were able to learn and utilize Bloomerang's many features. The Chat feature is particularly helpful as it can walk us through complicated donor reports and mail merges.

Cons

It would be helpful to have more integrated event software that incorporates all aspects of managing an event, including auction item procurement, bidding and acknowledgment. We asked Bloomerang to provide us with details on their event add-on and never received a response. At this time we use Give Smart to support our events.

Angie C.

Love it!!!

Reviewed on 2020/07/02

I switched to Bloomerang after being with another database system for a little more than a year. I have never looked back and have recommended Bloomerang to so many other nonprofits in my area. I have never had a problem that couldn't be figured out or worked around.

Pros

The clean look, ease of use and ever-updating features are wonderful. The additional trainings on many topics related to non-profits are a bonus. I love that I never have to encounter the word "query" when running reports! I also appreciate that many features are automatically included so I don't feel "nickel and dimed" every time I need to integrate new features.

Cons

I wish there was an easy "shopping cart" feature that would integrate with my website so I could easily sell tickets to events without having to manually each purchase.

Scott S.

Great Donor Tracking Software

Reviewed on 2020/07/03

Pros

This software is very intuitive and easy to use. We switched from a more complicated product that staff wouldn't use consistently. Although it had more bells and whistles it was less useful because many staff members found it too difficult to enter and retrieve data.

Cons

There are some missing features that I would appreciate:
- a way of giving an easily visible summary of the most important things about a donor
- a virtual yellow sticky note to alert other users to important changes or updates
- a way of filtering out the Mass Emails from the more important interactions
- an easier way of getting to the earliest entries

Bryan C.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Fantastic support, easy to set up, easy to teach

Reviewed on 2019/06/27

Pros

Bloomerang is a breeze to navigate and search, with a detailed (but not overwhelming) summary view of each constituent, organization, and household in the database. When someone asks, "Who is this person?" I can tell them their top-line donation history, how we met, their capacity to give more, and who they're connected to, in less than a minute and with no effort at all. I can't overstate how intuitive and easy it is to get around, which is always helpful when training new users. After you build a few letter templates, gift processing and drafting acknowledgement letters become a joy. Integrations with Twitter, DonorSearch, and TrueGivers help us know more about our prospects and donors, and keep our address records up to date, automatically.

But what I truly like most about Bloomerang is their support. They offer weekly training webinars not only about how to use the platform better, but also about topics in the larger nonprofit field. They offer a whole vault of resources for nonprofit organizations at any stage of growth. Every interaction I've had with their support staff -- by email, phone, live chat -- has been as thorough and helpful as I need it to be. Their "Features Portal" is always seeking feedback on what they could improve, and they're incredibly transparent about what they're working on next and when we might expect an update. In the year since we migrated to Bloomerang, it's been more than clear that they take this feedback loop seriously and listen well.

Cons

Bloomerang is easy to use -- at the cost of being fully customizable. I am not a programmer, so this exchange works out mostly great for me and my team, but I can imagine a programmer growing frustrated by the constraints in place to keep the platform easy to use.

Take one example: you can add multiple addresses (email or physical) for each constituent, but there is no "note" field for each address. What if three email addresses go to the constituent's various assistants, and only one goes straight to the constituent? What if you mark an address "bad," but now need a place to say why? We've had to add custom fields (super easy to do, by the way) for "Additional Contact Information" so we can track these details, but those custom fields get buried at the bottom of a constituent's profile -- after the default profile information -- and there's no way to reorder the profile so that custom content appears more intuitively for how our organization uses the database. We've had to build in a few clumsy workarounds like this to solve problems that have a more straightforward solution, but those straightforward solutions then become suggestions in the features portal, to be solved if and when Bloomerang decides to.

The reporting is a powerful tool, but the filter logic is unusual and has a few pitfalls ("raised" versus "revenue," for example) and a few hidden powers to know about ("has" and nested filters). Definitely take the time to dive deep into reporting resources.

Lisa N.

Great CRM

Reviewed on 2017/05/04

Bloomerang is ideal for agencies that are looking for a straightforward interface with the ability to customize fields and reports to your needs. Their social media integration, relationship tracking, and interaction fields takes our ability to get to know donors to another level. The import function, once you get the hang of it, is an incredible time saver. The ability to embed online donations via a custom Bloomerang form into our website has increased our online donations significantly. The program is continually improving and the customer service is excellent.

Pros

-User-friendly interface
-Pretty easy for beginners to pick up
-I love how you can make relationships between people (very nice to pull up a church and find out what volunteers and donors attend that church or go to that book club) and put people into households
-The giving summary on the donor profile and dashboard is a nice visual.
-I like the ability to create tasks (but it would be nice if they sent you email reminders for deadlines that are coming up)
-The ability to create interactions field is very helpful to keep track of your communications, meetings, and other cultivation items that don’t necessarily include a donation.
-Custom forms, including custom donation forms make it so easy to tailor fundraising campaigns.
-Very customizable reports and fields (we now use Bloomerang instead of paying for Volgistics to track volunteer hours)
-Using Bloomerang stripe with our online donation page is fantastic—Our online donations went WAY up from Paypal.
-Great responsive technical support---we use just the online chats and emails and haven’t found a need for phone support.
-Love that this database is always improving. Our last one did not have that capability, so I think Bloomerang has a lot of potential.
-Also love that it’s cloud based---our last database was not.
-You can link your Twitter feed to Bloom and it will automatically populate tweets that your constituents have tweeted, and it gets added to their engagement level.
-I’m using the import function for more and more things…donation entry, mailing interactions, attendance sheets, volunteer hour tracking. Once you get the hang of it, it can save a lot of time if done correctly.

Cons

-Report formatting: All reports export to excel, but it only exports the table and information. It would be nice if it at least included a title (so you remember what you’re looking at), and maybe a time and date it was run.
-Reporting: The new reporting function is very powerful and you can pull great information from it. I do have trouble with how Bloomerang collapses each query. With more complex reports it's hard for me to remember each part of my query when everything is collapsed into a small
-Multiple tributes/notificants (for holidays): You can only put in one tribute per donation right now.
-They need a much better way to input tributes and they also need a way to track and send acknowledgements to people: The honor/memorial function is currently the worst part of Bloomerang…it has a terrible, backwards work flow and a major oversight for nonprofits that process a lot of tribute gifts. Although you can add a “notificant” to a donation, there’s no way to actually send letters to notificants through the letter function. We’ve created a process to notify honorees and notificants manually that works great, but that’s something to keep in mind for folks that process a lot of honor/memorial gifts.
-Special note if you go through the conversion process: When you add a new constituent, there’s a field that Bloomerang populates a date called “Created”. However, when your data is transferred, your original Created dates (if it was tracked in your previous system) will be lost and they’ll all be put into Bloomerang as the date the data was transferred. Bloomerang needs to keep the integrity of the original "Created" date of constituents OR create a custom field to place that information so you can run future reports. [There is no way to use the import feature for us to go back and add this information in, so volunteers are adding it for us].
-Task list: I’d like the task list to show more details to help you know what the task is, and send email reminders. Right now you make a task and then forget about it.
-Letters need to export to word instead of a PDF. We have a pdf editing software here to get around that, but would like to keep our Family House fonts and make minor changes if needed, etc.
-Need a way to catch duplicate records (either with a report, or alert if you're entering an address that's already in the system)

Response from Bloomerang

Hey Lisa, good news: you now have the ability to edit individual letters and manage duplicates!

Trey H.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Great product for a growing organization

Reviewed on 2020/08/11

Bloomerang assists me to be a better fundraiser. Daily I am looking at who has donated and Bloomerang helps me customize the way in which i communicate with various constituents.

Pros

Bloomerang is easy to use. In a small organization, where one or two people are using Bloomerang, it's the perfect fit. Customer service and new integrations are also superb. It's a software that can grow with you organization.

Cons

At times, filtering can be an issue. Often time I have to freshen up my memory of how to drill down to get the information I am trying to assimilate.

Response from Bloomerang

Thanks, Trey!

Jenny R.
Industry: Education Management

A great development software package for the money!

Reviewed on 2020/10/23

The main thing I love about Bloomerang is the people. I don't know what they put them through to get the job, but their level of patience, ability to "meet you where you are" and not make you feel stupid about it, and help you solve your problems is truly out of this world. They never let me down. While I'm sorry for their long hours, I am also deeply appreciative of the rather late hours that customer support is available. I need the unlimited hours of technical assistance, and I am deeply appreciative that this is included!

Pros

Customer Support is incredible!
Incorporates the fundamentals that you need in a development software package (year over year giving)
Easy to learn
Reliable

Cons

There are limits to what it can do, usually pertaining to the difference between "constituent reports" and "transaction reports." I think this is mostly inherent to the nature of the work, "not Bloomerang's fault."

Letter formatting is less than stellar. If your letters are complex, include graphics, or go on for >1 page, there are limitations in ease of using Bloomerang.

Ruth ann L.

High Quality CRM Product

Reviewed on 2019/11/20

While I am not part of our Fundraising Team but rather am in charge of sending receipts and managing donor satisfaction, I believe that our fundraising efforts have benefited from the options such as "Campaigns" and "Appeals" in ability to build reports that are meaningful to the Fundraising Team.

Pros

Boomerang's interface is easy to use and intuitive. I feel confident in using the software for these reasons:
1. I can find my donor's information easily and change (update, merge or delete) information with confidence.
2. I can enter data into the program easily so that the new data is available for the reports I need.
3. I can enter and track constituent donations easily and with confidence.
4. I have transaction history going back to the beginning of our company record keeping because we chose to import all transactions from our previous bookkeeping (not CRM) program.
5. Ability to add notes and interactions helps me establish an easier rapport with my donors when I talk to them by phone or write to them in an email.
6. We made and make use of custom fields to tailor the Bloomerang program to the needs of our animal welfare nonprofit organization.

Cons

1. I wish I could email or print receipts for donors in a single step instead of the 4 to 6 steps it takes to send or print a receipt a second time. While I understand the process, I feel I waste a lot of time working towards sending duplicate receipts to my donors. It is frustrating.
2. I am frustrated that Bloomerang labels so many valid constituent emails as bad. I am constantly trying to validate an email address to the satisfaction of the Bloomerang support team. It is a waste of my time and frustrating to me.

Beverly G.

Bravo!

Reviewed on 2020/02/04

We are able to pull data from our donor base easily and if we ever need help, someone is always there to help online. We don't have a person dedicated to working the database full time, so we needed something that is easy for everyone to understand. Bloomerang fits that bill for us.

Pros

For our team, it's the built in analytics, the online support, webinars, and the knowledge that Bloomerang is actually listening to its clients. When enough of us need something, Bloomerang figures it out. If they can't make it happen, they are honest about it.

Cons

There are always features that we would like to see added, but there doesn't seem to be a way (yet) to customize some features just for us (Example-pop up windows). We use it for tracking revenue/relationships with donors as well as volunteers. We've had to be very creative about the volunteer side, but after 4 years, we're very close to making it work. It has taken a long time to get there.

Miguel M.
Industry: Environmental Services

Simple and easy to use!

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

We love this system mainly because of its simplicity, ease of use, and user friendly.

Pros

What my team and I like the most about Bloomerang is:

1. The ease of use and customization of fields
2. Simplicity in running customized reports
3. EXCELLENT customer service
4. Gets the job done!:) Not too complex.

Cons

1. Could use a look refresh, the system looks a little outdated as far as style
2. The reporting section could be better organized. Many at my work use this system and all of our reports show in one long list. Would be nice if we could only see our reports or if the reports were broken down by departments.

Jenny M.
Industry: Mental Health Care

Bloomerang is easy to use

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

It is really easy to see how engaged individual donors are and their history which improves our ability to follow up and retain donors.

Pros

I love Bloomerang's interface and ease of use; its emphasis on donor retention which is front and center on the dashboard each time I open Bloomerang; and the continual upgrades to improve the software. I like that I can send mass emails through Bloomerang rather than using an outside platform and that it integrates with several other platforms (including qgiv).

Cons

I still use other platforms for my events and donation page, since I don't find Bloomerang's customizable enough to do what I want to do (and look the way I want it to). I also wish I could export my mail merge letters into word for customization as I could in my old donation software.

Tiffany S.

Take it anywhere!

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

Overall it has been wonderful to track donor and volunteer information. The email templates are easy to use and scheduling out when I want the email to be sent saves me a ton of time, I love that feature! This system helped us capture constituents that wanted to learn more about us by integrating our newsletter signup on our website to be automatically inputted in our database. Talk about another time saver!

Pros

It's user friendly. The support team at Bloomerang are amazing. They help right away with any information you need on how to add something, customize something, etc... I love the webinars they host almost weekly, even if I don't attend them live. I can go back and listen to them. Lots of great information and presenters are wonderful and even send you follow up information. I love how I can access the database from my phone and still have access to all my donor information while I'm out of the office.

Cons

Some of the event features are limited. For instance we had to partner with another company for event registration forms because Bloomerang didn't have the function to purchase multiple packages at once. The support team however, did recommend a company that they are integrated with to help us out. I did hear a rumor that Bloomerang will be changing the event forms feature, so hopefully in the future we can do everything through them.

Jeanika B.
Industry: Education Management

Donor Relations for Arts Education Non Profit

Reviewed on 2020/12/08

Bloomerang is great for organizing our donations and designing/tracking email newsletters. We are improving at donor communications because of it and able to quickly create virtual campaigns with reminders and connections to social media. The customer support is phenomenal and quickly gets back to me with any tips or tutorials I need to make the operating a better experience. I do wonder if we are using Bloomerang to its fullest potential to get our moneys worth or if there are custom plans for the features we are using, omitting the ones that do not apply to us.

Pros

I like the website integration and being able to sort donations into appeals/campaigns in real time. Would be nice if donations could count for multiple campaigns however. I also like the new feature of first time donor call lists so we can track how the relationship is being built.

Cons

I truly wish there were better ways to sort mailing letters and an option to auto send a series of introductory messages for new funders to get to know us better. The specifics of the csv import feature are also stressful because it threatens to change records already in the account rather than asking case by case which information is primary or secondary. The task feature is also fine for noting big deadlines but does not allow for small tasks to be checked off or assigned to other staff so we have to use Planner communicate outside of Bloomerang. I wish the task feature would allow us to repeat the deadline annually or monthly or give an option for when the application must be skipped on year 3 etc.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Jill A.
Industry: Fund-Raising

Great support help

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

We wanted an easy to use and affordable donor management system and Bloomerang has definitely provided that.

Pros

Economical. Great support. Easy to create reports. Perfect tools for record-keeping of donations as well as interactions with constituents.

Cons

I'm pretty happy with most everything. Some of the challenges are based on my own limitations. There are so many tools within Bloomerang that I have yet to use or explore.

Kevin M.

Love Bloomerang

Reviewed on 2020/12/09

Bloomerang was a significant step up from the on-premise crm that we previously used. The unlimited custom fields have enabled us to build in the data points that we wanted to capture.

Pros

Unlimited custom fields - the only limit is your teams imagination there. Great feature.
API - this was key for me and I love the API v2 that is in development. (side note, I have an API wrapper in development for it as well.)

Cons

Perhaps some guided report templates would help users grasp reporting. With my users anyway, those that understand databases and their structures get the reports. The others take notes and try not to stray outside the cookbook.
Relationships could use work, very little complexity options there.
More transaction level tracking, for example appeal tracking with custom fields. How much did this appeal cost being stored and amount of subsequent transactions would yield a profitability figure on that appeal.

Crystal D.
Industry: Fund-Raising

User friendliness has helped build our donor relations

Reviewed on 2020/08/11

Pros

I love the user friendliness of this product. I can create very professional looking correspondence with my donors that make it look like I am working with a whole development design team even though it's just me. The donor search information is invaluable to finding new donors and increasing donor amounts of already existing donors. I can't say enough about this product.

Cons

I honestly don't have any complaints about Bloomerang at this time.

Mia P.
Industry: Museums & Institutions

Bloomerang is a must for us!

Reviewed on 2020/11/27

The cons aside, we love using Bloomerang at ABHM. It can do so much more than our previous donor-management software. It will allow us to better communicate with our supporters and help ensure we have the most accurate and up-to-date data for each of them.

Pros

I really like the user-friendly interface; the navigation is very intuitive. The report function is easy to use and extremely helpful in targeted communications. The online donation forms are also very useful and easy to set up.

Cons

The conversion process from DonorSnap to Bloomerang involved a lot of manual clean-up at the end, such as finding where Bloomerang switched the prefixes of the constituent, assuming that the head of household would always be a "Mr.". Although the email and letter design tools are easy to use and have many features, there are some things that cannot be done, such as inserting images in the text boxes, which has changed our overall designs.

Season R.

Look No Further!

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

Customer service is second to none. I feel as though they care about my success and the success or my organization. I rarely call or email customer service as I don't need to, but when I do, they serve us well.

Pros

Bloomerang delivers. Being in the development field for more than 10 years, I was skeptical because so many donor software companies show you an "easy" tutorial on how to use the product, but when you get it and start to use it (or try to use) they would NEVER do what I needed them to do. Bloomerang was simple to use from the beginning. Things make sense with Bloomerang. I am already over working my brain to raise money...I shouldn't have to do it to run queries and manage my data. Bloomerang has taken the guess work out of donor management.

Cons

That I took so long to use it/find it!
I will say that I know I am not using Bloom to the fullest. And even with not using it to the fullest, I am still getting waaaaay more out of this software than any of the other 7 others that I have used. I need to take time to utilize more of the features that Bloom promotes to make my job easier.

Lauren S.

Perfect Donor Management Software for a growing community foundation

Reviewed on 2020/12/17

We love that we can track all interactions with our constituents with this software, either as an individual donor or as an organization.

Pros

We love that the individuals can be grouped by households, which makes donor recognition and organization seemless.

Cons

As a community foundation, we want something more than just donor management and have been using the notes feature to track grants. Its not perfect and could be improved, but for the cost it is effective.

Anna S.
Industry: Environmental Services

Bloomerang a great tool for small nonprofit.

Reviewed on 2020/10/14

Overall experience is great. It's a user-friendly CRM that works well for our database of 6,000.

Pros

Highly customizable. Always developing new features that improve capability and user experience. Tutorials and guides are extremely helpful, as are their webinars. Customer service is exceptional.

Cons

The new email email editor is definitely an improvement over the previous one, but there could be more flexibility and customization in terms of formatting (i.e. picture placement, button placement, ability to upload brand fonts and colors, etc.).

There are other minor things that would make life easier on Bloomerang. For instance, the ability to filter out Mass Emails from other interactions (if someone has been on our email list for a long time, it's sometimes difficult to find in-person or other interactions among a years-long slew of mass emails!). In Reports, it would be great to be able to remove multiple columns at one time. As I said, these are small things that cause minor frustration for me--certainly not enough to outweigh all the great features that Bloomerang has!