Bloomerang Reviews

Bloomerang

Donor management software and database for nonprofits

4.7/5 (380 reviews)
Kristina B.

Great platform

Reviewed on 2019/07/11

We are a small shop and need to be able to minimize the time we spend managing the data side of the house so that we can be out meeting with our donors and focusing on donor acquisition. I feel like Bloomerang allows us to manage our data in a user friendly, functional way so that we can focus our time on raising money. My background is major gifts and I have limited technical skills with database management, but Bloomerang is so user friendly that I am able to pull reports, produce lists, upload data, process gifts and acknowledge gifts with ease so that I can focus on utilizing the MOVES management aspects of the database to move our donors through our donor pipeline.

Pros

I'm a development professional and my background is high level database work. In my new role I'm having to delve deeper into database management and I'm so happy we have Bloomerang. For the most part I can navigate and produce what I need on my own. However, when I get stuck the customer service of Bloomerang is beyond measure. They are always so friendly and kind, they listen to what I'm trying to do and understand my needs. They help walk me through how to do what I am trying to do, so I learn how to do it on my own moving forward. I honestly can't say enough about their customer support. They also have great (and very relevant) webinars.

Cons

The thing I struggle with the most is the usability of the letters and email functions. Formatting is tricky and there seems to be limitations to being able to move images around etc. It always ends up taking me longer to produce a letter or email than I anticipate because I have to play around with the formatting so much. This is the one part of the software that doesn't feel as user friendly.

Jeff F.

Fantastic software for the nonprofit fundraiser!

Reviewed on 2019/07/04

Pros

The software is *very* easy to use. The pages load quickly. The search function is very efficient. The product is thoroughly and thoughtfully designed with the nonprofit fundraiser in mind to make most every situation easy to navigate (from, the basics to such things as tributes, or soft credits). Customizing it is very easy and intuitive. In addition to a computer, it may be used on a tablet (e.g. iPad), and a phone (e.g. iPhone) in most scenarios, although on a phone things can be a little awkward, but still usable.

Importing a database of 800 accounts was seamless, after taking the time to prepare the import files properly (using the instructions provided on the web site). Coaching for this was available using email or live chat, although the instructions on the web site are so thorough, concise, and clear, that I did not need that.

There is a vast library of instructional materials for assisting with most functions (articles and videos), and their customer service department is very easy to access and get clear instruction on things that need more in depth assistance.

Regular instructional webinars are offered, which are very informative, and become videos within their vast instructional video library for any user's use.

Cons

I use the product at odd times, and live customer support is not available late at night, or on weekends or holidays.

Bryan C.

Fantastic support, easy to set up, easy to teach

Reviewed on 2019/06/27

Pros

Bloomerang is a breeze to navigate and search, with a detailed (but not overwhelming) summary view of each constituent, organization, and household in the database. When someone asks, "Who is this person?" I can tell them their top-line donation history, how we met, their capacity to give more, and who they're connected to, in less than a minute and with no effort at all. I can't overstate how intuitive and easy it is to get around, which is always helpful when training new users. After you build a few letter templates, gift processing and drafting acknowledgement letters become a joy. Integrations with Twitter, DonorSearch, and TrueGivers help us know more about our prospects and donors, and keep our address records up to date, automatically.

But what I truly like most about Bloomerang is their support. They offer weekly training webinars not only about how to use the platform better, but also about topics in the larger nonprofit field. They offer a whole vault of resources for nonprofit organizations at any stage of growth. Every interaction I've had with their support staff -- by email, phone, live chat -- has been as thorough and helpful as I need it to be. Their "Features Portal" is always seeking feedback on what they could improve, and they're incredibly transparent about what they're working on next and when we might expect an update. In the year since we migrated to Bloomerang, it's been more than clear that they take this feedback loop seriously and listen well.

Cons

Bloomerang is easy to use -- at the cost of being fully customizable. I am not a programmer, so this exchange works out mostly great for me and my team, but I can imagine a programmer growing frustrated by the constraints in place to keep the platform easy to use.

Take one example: you can add multiple addresses (email or physical) for each constituent, but there is no "note" field for each address. What if three email addresses go to the constituent's various assistants, and only one goes straight to the constituent? What if you mark an address "bad," but now need a place to say why? We've had to add custom fields (super easy to do, by the way) for "Additional Contact Information" so we can track these details, but those custom fields get buried at the bottom of a constituent's profile -- after the default profile information -- and there's no way to reorder the profile so that custom content appears more intuitively for how our organization uses the database. We've had to build in a few clumsy workarounds like this to solve problems that have a more straightforward solution, but those straightforward solutions then become suggestions in the features portal, to be solved if and when Bloomerang decides to.

The reporting is a powerful tool, but the filter logic is unusual and has a few pitfalls ("raised" versus "revenue," for example) and a few hidden powers to know about ("has" and nested filters). Definitely take the time to dive deep into reporting resources.

Diane H.

Would recommend Bloomerang to ANYONE

Reviewed on 2019/06/26

We are in the midst of transitioning some of our processes so that we can really thrive, but I've been surprised that -- thanks to Bloomerang -- we have been able to survive with two less fundraising staff. (You might not want to tell your boss that part!) If you are working in the typical non-profit where you wear so many hats you can't count them all, I strongly recommend that you look into Bloomerang to help you be efficient and effective...and actually enjoy working with your fundraising system.

Pros

We're coming up on a year of using Bloomerang, and if it's possible, I love Bloomerang more every day. First, it's easy to use, and there are so many awesome "live" links and features--they've really designed the software to make fundraising work easier! It was designed by fundraising experts so "thinks" like a Development Director, and it helps our small staff spend our very limited time well. Second, reporting and query are a million times easier and more straightforward than with our previous software. We actually trust the results now! And my last "most favorite" thing about Bloomerang is the dashboard. I didn't think I would use it so much, but the fact that it has so many "live" links has made us watch our progress week-to-week, month-to-month and now, for the whole year. Wait! I have to include the AWESOME people (sales, conversion, support, developers, even) who have been there every step of the way. They're super knowledgeable, great communicators, and always friendly and helpful.

Cons

To get the quality that I want when I change out our receipt text monthly, I have to work in the html code behind the letter merge function. That takes a little longer and is more tedious than I'd like, but even there, the system makes it much more simple than receipting in our previous software. I should also add that I wish I knew Bloomerang as well as I do now when we started conversion to it. We would have made better choices, but again, I can see how our conversion manager really worked behind the scenes to save us a lot of headaches!

Bloomerang Review

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

I work with several clients that use Bloomerang for their database. This software is very easy to use and very user friendly. They are very responsive when you have questions or are having issues using their software. I would highly recommend this database software to any organization. I have worked with two other database soft wares and Boomerang has been the best so far.

Pros

I switched to Bloomerang about two years ago and this has been a great change. Their customer service and help center is very easy to navigate and a representative responds to your questions within seconds. From step by step instructions on how to pull reports, trouble shooting problems, helping with deleting and importing new constituents, any issues or questions you have they have answer for you within minutes. I love their feature of online webinars that introduce you to their new features and updates. These webinars are extremely helpful and give me the knowledge and information I need to train new employees on this software. Another pro is that they are open to suggestions and improvements. I have sent in a few changes that would make pulling reports easier and updates that will help decrease entering duplicate constituents and they have taken this feedback and acted on it. Several of their new features address the recommendations I have sent them.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that it does not auto populate the city and state when you put in the zip code for a constituents account. This is a feature that I was use to using with other software. This was a helpful feature to have that made data entry easier. I am also not in love with their acknowledgment generator because you can not edit individual letters once they are merged into the Bloomerang template. This is a feature I would like to see, because many of the clients I work with like to add a personal touch to each acknowledgment. We are not able to use Bloomerang for this process because to edit each individual letter we would have to generate acknowledgments one by one, not in bulk, which is very inconvenient and time consuming.

Annah grace M.

Bloomerang is an inutitive and user-friendly game changer!

Reviewed on 2018/10/26

My organization was looking to make the switch from Excel spreadsheets to a true donor database. After I was immediately impressed with Bloomerang’s focus on donor retention and all the ways it could help my organization. Bloomerang has been a game changer for my team by providing key metrics in donor engagement, donor capacity and donor retention. It has helped keep us organized and get our fundraising on track. Bloomerang has been a game-changer for us. Not only do we use it for donors, we use it for all givers (which include our volunteers and other community resources). We have found a time-saver in this product! I love that it functions as a CRM tool in addition to the fundraising components. I love that you can customize it to make it work for you, no matter your industry or the complexity of your organization, and still it’s so user-friendly and intuitive! Not to mention, the incredible commitment to education! The free webinars and information are extremely on point and helpful. We are happy to highly recommend Bloomerang any time!

Pros

I love the donor-centered nature of Bloomerang and how it focuses on donor engagement. It is customizable, easy-to-use and super intuitive. I am able to easily egment communication to donors and reach them with specific messaging they need to hear. I also love that Bloomerang is constantly improving and has great support. I sincerely appreciate Bloomerang’s knowledgeable support staff and their willingness to take customer feedback seriously. The product team continually makes updates and improvements to Bloomerang based on our suggestions.

Cons

It doesn't yet interface with a mass texting or text-to-give software, but I have no doubt that it probably will soon. It is ALWAYS improving!

Nic M.

For organizations small and large, Bloomerang is good fit.

Reviewed on 2018/10/24

Our organization moved from Raiser's Edge to Bloomerang just over a year ago. If you are familiar with Raiser's Edge, you likely understand that this is a massive transition to undertake both technologically and fundamentally--but I'm glad we did. We moved away from Raiser's Edge because we needed software that was powerful yet highly intuitive and didn't ship with a price tag that is difficult to justify. A year later, all of my team members are comfortable using the CRM and do so wherever they need to because it relies only on a web browser and internet connect -- no proprietary software or hardware required; no desk to which you're chained. There is a lot of power in Bloomerang at a price point that I guarantee will fit any budget, and the Bloomreang team does a great job of creating a product experience that actually has you celebrating the renewal date because you can cut the check knowing you made an excellent choice. From our first call with the sale's rep and through 12+ months of communication, I have enjoyed our experience with Bloomerang and look forward to many years as a client.

Pros

Greater than the Bloomerang CRM itself is the company's incredible support team that is not only quick to respond and meaningfully engage, but does so humanely. Too many vendors staff their support teams with specialists who are technically proficient, but lack the ability to translate their knowledge into kind and understanding support. Without this type of support, clients like me would be left frustrated, defeated and with unresolved issues. Boomerang recognizes that their software AND support team needs to be human, and they do a great job putting this understanding into practice. This understanding is well-implemented in the software itself which requires minimal training to comfortably navigate and use. I am able to train-in team members on Bloomerang's basic functions within 60 minutes, and thanks to the software's intuitive interface, team members aren't intimidated by what they see on-screen, allowing them to explore Bloomerang's functionality on their own. This ease-of-use rings true for me as an administrator, too. Because I can swiftly navigate through the CRM's features, I am more efficient with my time and able to focus on completing projects and tasks without needing to consult a encyclopedia-length user manual. Overall, I have found that Bloomerang's great product and excellent support has elevated our team's ability to do our jobs well. We're not bogged down in the software anymore. We're focused on fundraising.

Cons

There are a lot of strategic opportunities for the Bloomerang team to take advantage of as they continue to grow as a company, and an area where I'd like to see growth is with third-party integrations. There is currently a MailChimp integration in the pipeline, but I'd also love to see the door open to platform access through API integration services such as Zapier, which would allow customers like me to easily and securely connect Bloomerang to other key software in use within our department and organization.

Melinda W.

Got out of hostage situation

Reviewed on 2016/12/27

I came into a new position and when the company mentioned their donor database it was like they were caught up in a hostage situation. They were stuck in an expensive contract with something they barely knew how to work with. A key component of my hire was that I knew how to work with this big, aggressive, expensive system. What a backward way to think! I had always heard of Bloomerang thanks to their presence at conferences, webinars and experts. To move to a simpler system meant more people could use this tool. So what do I like best? Bloomerang became an effective tool so that more than one person could use the system. Increased functionality meant we could accept online donations and training people became a cinch.
Bloomerang is an excellent tool and I can't see any areas for improvement. One feature several users including myself have requested is currently in development. So Bloomerang listens to their users to offer solutions and keep the platform moving forward. They are patching the holes in the roof and doing the maintenance needed- not making you buy a whole new house to get upgrades.

Pros

I came into a new position and when the company mentioned their donor database it was like they were caught up in a hostage situation. They were stuck in an expensive contract with something they barely knew how to work with. A key component of my hire was that I knew how to work with this big, aggressive, expensive system. What a backward way to think! I had always heard of Bloomerang thanks to their presence at conferences, webinars, and experts. To move to a simpler system meant more people could use this tool. So what do I like best? Bloomerang became an effective tool so that more than one person could use the system. Increased functionality meant we could accept online donations and training people became a cinch.

Lisa N.

Great CRM

Reviewed on 2017/05/04

Bloomerang is ideal for agencies that are looking for a straightforward interface with the ability to customize fields and reports to your needs. Their social media integration, relationship tracking, and interaction fields takes our ability to get to know donors to another level. The import function, once you get the hang of it, is an incredible time saver. The ability to embed online donations via a custom Bloomerang form into our website has increased our online donations significantly. The program is continually improving and the customer service is excellent.

Pros

-User-friendly interface
-Pretty easy for beginners to pick up
-I love how you can make relationships between people (very nice to pull up a church and find out what volunteers and donors attend that church or go to that book club) and put people into households
-The giving summary on the donor profile and dashboard is a nice visual.
-I like the ability to create tasks (but it would be nice if they sent you email reminders for deadlines that are coming up)
-The ability to create interactions field is very helpful to keep track of your communications, meetings, and other cultivation items that don’t necessarily include a donation.
-Custom forms, including custom donation forms make it so easy to tailor fundraising campaigns.
-Very customizable reports and fields (we now use Bloomerang instead of paying for Volgistics to track volunteer hours)
-Using Bloomerang stripe with our online donation page is fantastic—Our online donations went WAY up from Paypal.
-Great responsive technical support---we use just the online chats and emails and haven’t found a need for phone support.
-Love that this database is always improving. Our last one did not have that capability, so I think Bloomerang has a lot of potential.
-Also love that it’s cloud based---our last database was not.
-You can link your Twitter feed to Bloom and it will automatically populate tweets that your constituents have tweeted, and it gets added to their engagement level.
-I’m using the import function for more and more things…donation entry, mailing interactions, attendance sheets, volunteer hour tracking. Once you get the hang of it, it can save a lot of time if done correctly.

Cons

-Report formatting: All reports export to excel, but it only exports the table and information. It would be nice if it at least included a title (so you remember what you’re looking at), and maybe a time and date it was run.
-Reporting: The new reporting function is very powerful and you can pull great information from it. I do have trouble with how Bloomerang collapses each query. With more complex reports it's hard for me to remember each part of my query when everything is collapsed into a small
-Multiple tributes/notificants (for holidays): You can only put in one tribute per donation right now.
-They need a much better way to input tributes and they also need a way to track and send acknowledgements to people: The honor/memorial function is currently the worst part of Bloomerang…it has a terrible, backwards work flow and a major oversight for nonprofits that process a lot of tribute gifts. Although you can add a “notificant” to a donation, there’s no way to actually send letters to notificants through the letter function. We’ve created a process to notify honorees and notificants manually that works great, but that’s something to keep in mind for folks that process a lot of honor/memorial gifts.
-Special note if you go through the conversion process: When you add a new constituent, there’s a field that Bloomerang populates a date called “Created”. However, when your data is transferred, your original Created dates (if it was tracked in your previous system) will be lost and they’ll all be put into Bloomerang as the date the data was transferred. Bloomerang needs to keep the integrity of the original "Created" date of constituents OR create a custom field to place that information so you can run future reports. [There is no way to use the import feature for us to go back and add this information in, so volunteers are adding it for us].
-Task list: I’d like the task list to show more details to help you know what the task is, and send email reminders. Right now you make a task and then forget about it.
-Letters need to export to word instead of a PDF. We have a pdf editing software here to get around that, but would like to keep our Family House fonts and make minor changes if needed, etc.
-Need a way to catch duplicate records (either with a report, or alert if you're entering an address that's already in the system)

Response from Bloomerang

Hey Lisa, good news: you now have the ability to edit individual letters and manage duplicates!

Samantha P.

Bloomerang to the rescue!

Reviewed on 2016/11/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We are a small shop non-profit and because of Bloomerang's affordability, we have been able to transform our fundraising strategies in ways that we could have never imagined. With only three individuals working on the administrative side (Development Associate, Administrative Director, and President & CEO) and needing to raise just over a million dollars each year, we are dependent on the services that Bloomerang provides us.

The customer service team is unbelievably amazing and each and every question is always answered in a timely manner. Each rep takes the time to explain WHY and HOW certain steps are important so that you actually can grow and learn. We just generated our year-end appeal mailing list and on our old reporting program, it took running several reports and then using formulas in excel to remove duplicate records. Countless staff hours used to go into this endeavor but because of Bloomerang and the Bloomerang team, we have our most carefully curated and hand-selected year-end mailing list that we have ever had (at a fraction of staff time nonetheless!) Our team chatted with the Bloomerang staff for 5-6 hours and they answered EVERY SINGLE question. We went from spending 30-40 hours creating this list to no more than 10. For this, we are incredibly grateful.

The reporting features have enabled us to better direct our fundraising endeavors and we can send targeted mailings with tailored asks based off of future giving capacity. Our acknowledgement letters have an incredibly fast turnaround time and this simply was not feasible when we were still using our previous database. The ability to add interactions and notes to our donor profiles have helped us form a better understanding of our constituents and have provided us with the opportunity to develop deeper relationships with our donors. We also love that our online donation forms can sync with Bloomerang so that we are able to quickly detect whose given to us.

The layout and setup of the system is so simple that we can easily have volunteers or interns hop onto the system to help us clean up our database or add constituents. Going back to our earlier point that we only have three people working on the administrative side, it is so important to us that our system is easy enough for other individuals to be able to work on.

Bloomerang came to our rescue and I firmly believe it is one of the reasons that this has been our best year to date!

Pros

Ease of use, reporting features, capacity to add custom fields to constituent records, affordability, ease of generating acknowledgement letters, simple and easy--to-use email templates, online donation forms syncing with database

Cons

None (no really!)

Response from Bloomerang

Can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to hear this, Samantha. Your experience is what we hope for and strive to provide to every single Bloomerang user!

Erin H.

Great tool for our Advancement team!

Reviewed on 2018/09/27

Overall, our organization has been very happy with our switch to Bloomerang over 2 years ago. It has allowed us to better track donor cultivation and retention efforts, which means we are engaging with our donors more effectively. It's a great tool for our team as we develop our annual fundraising plans and allows all team members to easily check in throughout the year to see how we are progressing toward our goals.

Pros

The database is easy to use and customize. The dashboard provides a great snapshot of how our organization is doing on any given day in terms of donor retention and money raised for any active campaigns. Designing custom reports is straightforward with features like drag and drop columns, and the reports run to screen, so it's easy to tell if you have all the relevant information before exporting data. New features are regularly added, including features based on user-requests.

One of my favorite features is the live chat support. I'm able to connect right away with someone on the support team, they are knowledgeable about the systems and are able to work with me to effectively solve problems, suggest relevant tips or work-arounds, and are pleasant to deal with.

Cons

Currently, in the event registration piece of the database, people can purchase multiple tickets in a single transaction, but only of the same ticket type. I'm hopeful that soon constituents will be able to select more than one ticket type in the same transaction (adult & child, member & non-member, etc.).

Pete C.

Data Base Made EAsy

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

Fund raising and data base management.

Pros

Bloomerang is an robust, easy to use software for fund raising and data management. It has a built in wealth screen in addition to mapping and email functions. This is a one stop shop for all of your fund raising needs which include reports, letters and emails.

Cons

At times reports can be tricky, however support is phenomenal.

Rj B.

Easy, Simple Donor Management System with Great Features

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/08/23

We ended up choosing a different system because it had more features and we liked the feel of using it better. However, I spent considerable time demoing and trialing Bloomerang and had regular, relevant communication with my sales person. He was amazing! By his actions and intentionality alone I could tell that if we went with Bloomerang, we would have had outstanding customer service. This company contributes a great deal to the non-profit and fund-raising industry in all its offerings (blog, etc.) and in how it partners with industry experts. Bloomerang wasn't exactly right for us, but I know that if we would have encountered this software a little earlier in our organization's history, we would have gone with it and loved it no doubt.

Pros

The Bloomerang system makes it very easy to segment supporters:
- It has unlimited custom field opportunities, which you can easily configure to look nice on a supporter's record without looking cluttered
- It has an excellent "Engagement Meter" that rates by affinity and interactions with your org
- All of those options are easily reportable, and reports are intuitive to run

It also helps organizations keep donor retention as one of the highest priorities through its Donor Retention meter on the main home page. Supporter records are easy to view and have a great timeline showing gifts, interactions, and some automatic highlights (like second gift, lapsed, etc.).

Cons

Its user interface feels a little outdated compared to some other CRMs out there. It did not have a reminders feature to remind fundraisers of tasks (though it did have a list of current and past due tasks). The email and letter tools felt limited in the formatting options. It is very simple to use, and when coming from a very robust system, it felt somewhat limiting.

Ben S.

Bloomerang - Easy to Use and Amazing Customer Support

Reviewed on 2016/08/09

My organization started using Bloomerang in 2015 when we wanted to switch to a donor management platform where our donation form could be embedded into our actual website (instead of having our donor be taken to an external site). I was immediately impressed with the customer support and ease of setting up my account and importing my existing/past donations. I continue to be impressed with Bloomerang and they address all of our needs as a small nonprofit organization.

Pros

Not only is Bloomerang easy to use and navigate, but their customer service is amazing. They are always extremely quick to respond to requests and if I ever have an issue, it is always resolved right away. It allows me to not be worried if something looks off or if an issue arises, because I know I can expect a response almost immediately. I also like the ease of running reports and the variability of the possible reports. I enjoy that I can filter out many details, whether it's regarding donor type or transaction type.

Cons

There are a few small kinks that need to be resolved, but I know the Bloomerang team is aware of them. For example, there is an issue when trying to track "Tribute" donations through the platform, as well as being able to review/resend automatic acknowledgment letters to donors. Lastly, I would like to be able to track recurring donations as pledges, but this is not possible with the current platform. All of these are small things compared to the positives that Bloomerang provides.

Tiffany S.

Take it anywhere!

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

Overall it has been wonderful to track donor and volunteer information. The email templates are easy to use and scheduling out when I want the email to be sent saves me a ton of time, I love that feature! This system helped us capture constituents that wanted to learn more about us by integrating our newsletter signup on our website to be automatically inputted in our database. Talk about another time saver!

Pros

It's user friendly. The support team at Bloomerang are amazing. They help right away with any information you need on how to add something, customize something, etc... I love the webinars they host almost weekly, even if I don't attend them live. I can go back and listen to them. Lots of great information and presenters are wonderful and even send you follow up information. I love how I can access the database from my phone and still have access to all my donor information while I'm out of the office.

Cons

Some of the event features are limited. For instance we had to partner with another company for event registration forms because Bloomerang didn't have the function to purchase multiple packages at once. The support team however, did recommend a company that they are integrated with to help us out. I did hear a rumor that Bloomerang will be changing the event forms feature, so hopefully in the future we can do everything through them.

Paige B.

Perfect for donor management

Reviewed on 2017/07/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I still value this software for the seamless tracking it does of donors and donations. It has many useful features that help with development in terms of finances. I'd like to see more features for help with program and volunteer development specifically but that doesn't minimize the usefulness of what it offers. I highly recommend Bloomerang for nonprofits!

Pros

Online donation forms automatically create profiles in your Bloomerang and those forms can be on our website, our Facebook page, etc. Easy to create web forms for all kinds of uses including donations for specific long-term funds or short-term campaigns. Nice reporting to see what's coming in and the ability to acknowledge donations right from the system with emails or letters. Also like the social media tracking to see who's talking about us and this also feeds into the donor "temperature" which is a measure of donor engagement. You can really identify your true champions! Still learning the system so I'm sure we'll continue to discover useful features. Overall, this is an excellent resource for donor tracking and management.

Cons

If a donor is already in the system and enters a one-time contribution via web form that uses different info it will create a separate record which cannot be deleted without calling customer service for back office assistance. I was told it just has to match 2-3 fields but it even created a separate record for me when I entered a web donation using my first name instead of my middle name (what was already in the system) and all other info the same. Also, I wish there was a way to track non-donors well, i.e. volunteers and those we serve. Tried using a web form for a student application but it then required those fields for the entry of all constituents (not just those entered via the form) so we scrapped that plan. Would be nice to be able to track volunteer hours and which programs participants attend then be able to look up attendance rolls via a search on the program name.

Julie R.

Good, simple database

Reviewed on 2016/09/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Bloomerang is a simple to use database that focuses on fundraising and donor management basics. The user interface is clean and easy to understand. Being able to set up an unlimited number of our own custom fields is great and adding donations in is easy. The ability to design, filter, send, and track emails to constituents from within the system is good. Of all the systems I got trial logins for when researching, it was the only one that was easy to get into and play around with intuitively without watching a bunch of training videos. The online chat support is always fast, responsive, and helpful, and there's the ability to suggest system features and see what features are in the works. It also has a good social media integration, especially with Twitter.

Cons

There are some basic functions that the program doesn't have, such as the ability to export acknowledgment letters to Word (you can export to xls or PDf), ability to search for the primary contact of an organization record by name, ability to add documents or other attachments to a constituent record, and notification when a credit card transaction fails. The design features for online donation pages are also somewhat limited so you can't create highly customized giving pages.

Response from Steven

Hey Julie, thanks for your feedback! I'm glad that you are enjoying the interface and making use of our support team.

Exporting letters as a Word Doc or another type of editable file was something we grappled early on, and ultimately decided that the potential benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks.

For example, if you made any changes outside of Bloomerang, the letter saved in Bloomerang wouldn't reflect what you actually sent to the donor. To add some personalization, we recommend instead that you export and print the letter in Bloomerang, and then add handwritten notes before sending.

You now have the ability to edit individual letters! No need to export to Word :)

7.0/10
Danelle E.

5 years of Bloomerang and counting

Reviewed on 2018/09/27

When we started using Bloomerang about 5 years ago, we were coming from an older system. The user-friendly aspect, custom fields, email tool, online giving tools, report building, etc. were all features that were appealing to us and we continue to use and value all these features and more.

Pros

Bloomerang is very user-friendly. The reporting tool is great and can basically create anything we need. And if we can't quite get the report right, their support is great to help. We use their email tool for mass emails, create thank you letters, accept online donations, accept event registrations, etc. Great to have all of these features in the same place.

Cons

No major complaints.
Just a few small things here or there, but there have been a number of great changes and additions in the time we have used Bloomerang, so I'm holding out hope for things to come!
One thing I would like to see is a better way to handle memberships. We have both members and donors who support us. We have created custom fields to record member dates, etc, but would love to have expiration dates that automatically update (for example) instead of having to do it manually; or be able to easily sort a constituent's timeline to see when member dues were paid.

Renee A.

We are grateful for BLoomerang!

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

From the first moment that we interacted with the sales associates we had a great experience. The folks at Bloomerang are knowledge, responsive, and took the time to really understand our needs and "where we are". We use the software daily and it gets better with time!

Pros

We like MOST EVERYTHING about this software. It's easy to train new users on, it generates great reports, it easily allows us to customize constituent profiles and notes and having the ability to interface forms with our website is excellent!

Cons

So far we have not had any negative experiences or things we would like to change with the software or Blooemrang customer service.

Joan M.

The Bloomerang fundraising software is just the ticket for the small start up organization!

Reviewed on 2017/08/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I hope this new generation of fundraising software continues to be open to suggestions from users and builds on this excellent product.

Pros

There are many features of the software that I appreciate. It is user friendly and has excellent help guides and videos. The techs must be teachers. The guides are written in clear language and easily understood by those who can follow directions.(Not all have patience to follow directions.) I paid for additional help and never needed it! The staff are ready to help and are just a phone call away. And, occasionally, they call just to see how things are going. A nice touch. Lastly and important for new organizations, the cost is reasonable and special discounts are available for new not for profit organizations. The cost gradually increases as the number of accounts are added to the system and additional funding is secured. And, I almost forgot, this system has enabled me to have a fully integrated platform for fund-raising, a goal I had from the beginning.

Cons

I would like to see a few things adapted for those of us who do a lot of grant writing and track foundations, but the company is open to suggestions from those using the software and often report adaptations made in response to suggestions from users. I have much more to learn about the features of this product.

Kaitlyn M.

We use Bloomerang as our database software for several clients

Reviewed on 2018/03/26

This software is easy to use and has many customizable features that allow you to keep track of donations and donor profiles.

Pros

It has a user-friendly interface with a lot of functionality. There is an ability to customize many of Bloomerang's features so that you can properly record and track donations and gifts to your organization. For example, we have customized the groups categories to include how many years each donor was involved in an annual event we host. These features not only enable us to keep track of donations, but to pull more detailed reports that we can then use for targeted marketing campaigns.

Cons

I have a few complaints about the software's features although they may be considered as "areas for improvement" since they stem from my experience with other softwares' features. The first is an autofill for city/state based on zip code. It would also be helpful is the reports had the option to be organized by time data. When exporting acknowledgements using Bloomerang's template, they automatically convert to PDF which does not allow users to edit letters individually (for this reason we export to Excel and mail merge individually).

Jeanine B.

What a difference Bloomerang has made!

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

The entire conversion from ETapestry start to finish was flawless. Bloomerang's Support Team is excellent - top notch! We were supported throughout the onboarding process and continue to be - we've been using Bloomerang for over a year now. Our CEO is finding the data she needs! Our donor timelines are accurate and we are connecting with our constituents effectively. The Benevon partnership and integration with Bloomerang has changed the way we fundraise. Integration with QGiv is about to take our peer-to-peer fundraising to a whole new level. We can't thank Bloomerang enough!

Pros

Bloomerang is the most user friendly, well thought through, and supportive experience we could have ever asked for or imagined. Even our CEO is able to use it! From our donors to our participants and volunteers, we are able to manage all aspects of our mission. Bloomerang is out in front of us developing new and innovative ways of managing our data and we are so very grateful. There are new features and partnerships in place before we come to realize we need them. Training is awesome; chat help is outstanding. Couldn't be happier!

Cons

I only wish I had more time to spend sharing our Bloomerang experience with others. It has changed our organization. We can now rely on our data! From our experience, nothing compares. It's been the perfect solution for us and it's only getting better as we grow.

Peter S.

Great Product Elevated by Great People

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

We are able to track our donor relationships in a more dynamic and fun way and use tools to target our marketing and solicitations while building the results of our fundraising and events.

Pros

Very intuitive. Great graphic display and geared toward building and tracking donor relationships. All the information we need without excessive bells and whistles that would not be used. Good flexibility in creating reports that are easily cloned and updated for future needs.

Cons

As one who is not prone to read instructions or take online tutorials, I think the only "con" is my own impatience or need for instant gratification in using all that Bloomerang offers without wanting to go through the learning curve alone. That being said, that is what I and my associates like most...the ability to call customer support (a subscription service) any time to walk us through reports and share shortcuts to expedite our project. 100% of the time the person on the other end is professional, courteous, available, patient and focused on training us in a manner that is not demeaning or pedantic. There is never a long "hold" for support , they speak clearly, and take their time.

Stephanie F.

Hands Down best all around

Reviewed on 2019/04/24

We are very pleased with the product and spent about six months researching other platforms. We chose Bloomerang for price, emphasis on cultivating prospects, customer services, and ease of use. Even almost a year later and they are still treating us like they haven't quite won our business yet!

Pros

We absolutely love the software! The price was of course the best out there, but the customer service is out of this world. We love how Bloomerang is CONSTANTLY improving their features and have already implemented many of our request. They listen and execute in a very timely manor. The conversion ran a lot smoother than we anticipated and when we ran into hiccups the staff was there to ensure our happiness. The ongoing training has been very beneficial and the fact that the videos can be watched at any time is definitely a plus.

Cons

There are a few glitchy things, but nothing that is a game changer. The most common for us is not being able to modify letters before printing,but rather going into the profile and modifying and then printing; searching for tributes or adding new ones within a transaction, rather than going into the tribute field and adding the new one and then going back into the transaction to add the just keyed tribute; selecting more than one tribute for a transaction; no batch feature yet, but it's in the development stage.

Bloomerang does listen and have implemented several of the items I've requested and many more.

Season R.

Look No Further!

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

Customer service is second to none. I feel as though they care about my success and the success or my organization. I rarely call or email customer service as I don't need to, but when I do, they serve us well.

Pros

Bloomerang delivers. Being in the development field for more than 10 years, I was skeptical because so many donor software companies show you an "easy" tutorial on how to use the product, but when you get it and start to use it (or try to use) they would NEVER do what I needed them to do. Bloomerang was simple to use from the beginning. Things make sense with Bloomerang. I am already over working my brain to raise money...I shouldn't have to do it to run queries and manage my data. Bloomerang has taken the guess work out of donor management.

Cons

That I took so long to use it/find it!
I will say that I know I am not using Bloom to the fullest. And even with not using it to the fullest, I am still getting waaaaay more out of this software than any of the other 7 others that I have used. I need to take time to utilize more of the features that Bloom promotes to make my job easier.