Bloomerang

4,7 (1 094)
Donor management software and database for nonprofits

(1 094)

Jeff M.

Excellent for Most Non-Profits

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

At a prior non-profit, I switched them from Raiser's Edge (desktop) to Bloomerang. I gained a ton of features and saved quite a bit. The conversion was painless. I've only had to contact support a few times and they have always been extremely helpful.
In my current role, I set them up with Bloomerang as their first database.
I have also recommended it on multiple occasions.

Pros

Bloomerang is intuitive and easy to use.
Creating and reporting with custom field has never been easier and really allows you to customize it to your needs rather than using a standard field for something else.
The ability to create embedded forms is a lifesaver.
The integrated email capabilities save me from having to purchase another solution like Constant Contact. Plus, these interactions are automatically recorded in the donor/prospects data file.
The integrated DonorSearch option is convenient, useful and cost-effective.

Cons

If my organization ran a ton of events, I'm not sure this would be my optimal solution.
Currently, there is only one level of access - so I can't let a Board Member in to look around because any accidental changes they make would be permanent. I know that Bloomerang is working on this though.

Little Green Light, DonorPerfect, Salsa CRM and Neon CRM

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Price, convenience, flexibility, cloud-based, ease-of-use.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Ease of use, integrated forms/email/DonorSearch, custom fields
Monica T.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Bloomerang is perfect for our mid-size nonprofit

Reviewed on 2022/01/06

Bloomerang is exactly what we need it to be. Prior to having this CRM, we pulled solicitations from Quickbooks, which took hours to merge reports and get the information we needed. In Bloomerang, I make a report (sometimes with the exceptional help of the support team), save it, then just make adjustments for the next time I need the same information.
I liken Bloomerang to the Toyota Corolla of CRMs... it does exactly what we need it to do, when we need it to happen.

Pros

The customer service/support is incredible. When I have questions, they make sure I have the resources to understand what's needed for the next time. Additionally, when I've made suggestions for improvements, they've turned around made the improvements within a week -- I feel heard!

Cons

There are a couple of add-ons that I wish were just part of the existing program, but I understand that certain tools cost more.

Neon CRM

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Honestly, once we got the Bloomerang demo, we knew this is the product we needed. The cost was fair and the customer service blew us out of the water.
Amanda J.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Bloomerang (proceed with caution)

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

I think there were a few things in the demo process they could have shared with us, especially about the form.

Pros

This review comes from someone very new to Bloomerang, but not new to the implementation process of databases. This product is very intuitive and easy to use on the back end. It has some great features and I'm excited to fully implement it for our organization. There team has been great to respond to requests and they offer some excellent webinars and education for fundraisers.

Cons

This was not said at all in our demo process, and I failed to ask, so I wanted to share the information with those going through the selection process. They only have one donation form and it is not very pleasing to the eye. If you want to make any changes to it (font, setup, changing it to monthly only form) you must have experience with HTML code. Something I do not have experience doing. The best practice for monthly giving is to have it's only form, and unfortunately this is something we won't be able to implement because of the HTML coding requirement.

Also, their email service is great but not automated in any way. So if you're planning to have a new donor welcome series of emails you must do it manually they do not have any email automation. We're now looking into MailChimp to possibly use for email automation.

Response from Bloomerang

Hi Amanda, thanks for your feedback!

We're always working on improving our online giving and email marketing features. We've recently released a MailChimp integration as well!

Kevin F.

Easy to use interface

Reviewed on 2021/10/07

One of the best things about Bloomerang is there customer support. It is very easy to call them and get a very knowledgeable person that works directly for the company. After talking to them, they email you with what was discussed to make it easier to go back and follow directions.

Pros

I like that Bloomerang is very easy to use and understand. In today's society, we have incredible technology and constant updates that fill up our news feeds and dashboards to the point where it gets confusing at times. Bloomerang does a good job making everything look super clean and easy to read. Not only that, it's easy to find something in the reports section because the reports are very straightforward to understand how they work.

Cons

Compared to other programs, they don't have a beautiful online form which is why we use another 3rd party that also works with Bloomerang. There are also more steps to take to send a thank you email. These aren't big things but sometimes I wish that updates would come out sooner.

Amanda W.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Good, but not great.

Reviewed on 2021/12/13

Overall, I've had a good experience. Bloomerang's customer service is excellent. But, as much as I expect a learning curve with any new software, Bloomerang's curve is a bit more wicked than others.

Pros

I like how the donor profiles and donation timelines are laid out, and I like amount of features available for the price.

Cons

The thank you letter/donation receipt function is frustratingly basic. Needs major improvement. And my billing module has been under construction for months.

Bryony S.

A good choice for non-profit fundraising

Reviewed on 2022/01/18

Excellent

Pros

Bloomerang is very user friendly and easy to set up making it something a whole team can use. Most of all, their support team is very responsive.

Cons

At first, I wished they had integrated with Mailchimp but they do now because I didn’t like their email newsletter function as much as Mailchimp’s but now that problem is solved

Connie M.

Great non-profit CRM

Reviewed on 2022/01/06

One of the biggest benefits for our staff is the ability for all to be able to use the system at the same time, and any changes made in the files are immediately stored and accessible. Obviously this was not the case when we were using an Excel spreadsheet for our record keeping. The ability to add a donor's picture to their file is also a great benefit. We have thousands of supporters and appreciate being able to have reference for who they are, especially prior to an event we are attending. Bloomerang is available anytime, anywhere online. So I can open a file on my phone in an instant to reference a picture, an address or phone number, a recent donation, or to know the giving level of a particular donor.

Pros

We are a small agency with 5 employees. We used to use a spreadsheet to track all donations for our agency. After much searching and comparing, we chose Bloomerang as the best option to manage our donor data base. At the time, we wanted to add pictures of our donors for familiarity, but that was not yet available. We were told that would be added in the future, and within the year, it was an added feature in Bloomerang. It is one of our favorite features now. The system is very user-friendly, and anytime we need assistance, or have a question, the Bloomerang staff is very responsive in the live "chat" option and always very helpful. The online free training that is continually available is also great. We recently hired a new staff member who has access to all the beginning level training as well.

Cons

One feature that I would like to have, that is not available, is the option to upload a WORD document to send in an email blast. The templates for newsletters, etc. is fine, but sometimes I want to send an event flyer or other custom documents that cannot be loaded in the system.

Chris H.
  • Industry: Higher Education

My Two Cents

Reviewed on 2021/12/20

My overall experience with Bloomerang has been exceptional. I credit this to the Bloomerang staff.

Pros

Every feature in Bloomerang is easy to use. Writing queries, which we do on a daily basis, is especially easy. The tech support is beyond exceptional. I've never had to wait more than an hour when submitting a help ticket. The conversion was completely painless.

Cons

The only complaint I have about the software is that it is not easy to accept a donation from a business. The software is designed to accept payments from individuals, not businesses. Luckily the duplicate resolution features are really easy to use.

Laura L.

Bloomerang Rocks!

Reviewed on 2022/01/11

Our set up team appreciated the timeline for implementation and guidance through the process. They helped us customize a few fields that are important for us to track.

Pros

They understand the needs of non-profit agencies for donation tracking and reporting. I like the ease of use for reporting.

Cons

It is not easy to send just one email receipt via email from the system. Sending letters in bulk via email are easy to send.

Aimee M.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Advocates for the West

Reviewed on 2021/12/13

Good.

Pros

Customer service is awesome! Fast and helpful.

Cons

Biographical data gets lost in historic records. We created a work around that we will eventually need to fix.

Jacquie B.

So glad we switched to Bloomerang!

Reviewed on 2021/11/10

We are a better Community Engagement team because of Bloomerang. We are growing our individual fundraising and using the tool to help us plan and track and raise more money. The auto surveys, email tracking, grant management, notes and reports are all huge improvements over other systems we have used. We frequently express our happiness with Bloomerang and gratitude for having found the system.

Pros

Our team is using Bloom (as we call it) to track our activity and our fundraising. We have set up Major Gift and Grant Management. We use the surveys. We track emails. We are frequent attendees at webinars. I call it another member of the team, a very valuable one at that. The support is excellent too. We have depended on it often in our first year. And , the Bloom team is open to user ideas on how the product might be better.

Cons

Any glitches along the way were solved thanks to the excellent support - by call or live chat.

Keith G.

Best product I've used out of the box!

Reviewed on 2021/10/18

I am absolutely thrilled with Bloomerang! Not only does everything work out of the box with this software, but the technical support is AMAZING!!! I've never worked with a better technical support team for any product. Ever. There are not many people familiar with fundraising in the rural area we operate out of, so I wanted to find a product that would guide you along the way in case I ever left and the next person coming in didn't know what to do. If you follow their prompts (and take their free classes) you will be successful. Our previous software didn't have any reporting capabailities (why were we even using it? IDK) so when we switched over I loved getting to generate my own reports. And because they focus on Donor Retention, we actually saw our retention rate increase from 33% to 42% in 9 months!

Pros

This platform is super easy to use, and will meet all of your basic needs right out of the box. So many other platforms require days of setup and customization, not Bloomerang. Everything works the way it is supposed to without needing to know how to do backend coding or extensive customizations. But perhaps the thing I like the best is that it prompts the Development Team on actions to take, who to reach out to, and areas to keep an eye on. It's like putting on the bumper guards at the bowling alley so you'll always be successful if you actually use the software.

Cons

My least favorite thing about the software is when you have to search out other products to do simple tasks. Really it only impacts one place - online forms, which includes online giving. The forms built into Bloomerang are fully functional but very basic. I'd like to have the option to be able to customize the forms without having to find another product to use.

Maranne mcdade M.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Bloomerang 2 years later

Reviewed on 2021/10/19

We have been very satisfied.

Pros

The web-based interface is fantastic. The evolution of flexibility and email marketing agility is not growing as fast as our organization's ability to maximize it. But, at this price point, Bloomerang has proven to be a very useful mechanism for volunteer engagement, donor development and stewardship, and for developing reports to enable us to better steward our donors and increase the number of donors overall..

Cons

Bloomerang is a little clunky. As we have gotten better at using it, our end-user satisfaction has lowered. We know more and want to be able to do more. For example, navigating in and out of email templates and copying and searching for past templates used is slow and multi-step, requiring back to the beginning navigation. Online forms development and email creation are somewhat "clunky".

GiftWorks, Network for Good and Flipcause

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Gift works was not web-based and limited our staff access to information.

GiftWorks

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

ease of web-based access and user interface were big reasons!
Ruth ann L.

Valuable technology for Nonprofit Business

Reviewed on 2021/10/07

The planning to set up our donor base with Bloomerang took months. The migration of data to Bloom was difficult. However, we had the constant help of a Bloomerang specialist to help us with the program set up and launching. I give credit to our own administrators for setting things up meaningfully. To get quality results from Bloomerang, the users MUST set the program up correctly in the first place. After that, there will still be a learning curve. Now that we are 2 1/2 years into Bloom, we rely on it for all our donor activity. We also use the QBO syncronizing feature. It is great

Pros

Ease of data entry. Security. Multi-user capability. Ease of record keeping

Cons

The steep learning curve for beginners.

Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

We need a comprehensive donor program for reporting to our donors, for recording our donations to share with the accounting side of our administration, and for fundraising. Bloomerang work superbly for us.

Quickbooks Online

Cost and customer support
Kelly N.

You Don't Have To Spend A Lot To Get A Lot

Reviewed on 2021/09/10

This has been a great tool for a small organization to utilize. Whenever we have questions or problems using the tool, the team at Bloomerang has been very accessible and helpful. I appreciate that we can "chat" or ask for a call back without having to rifle through the help library when we have a specialized question.

Pros

This is a very user friendly software package that allows you to manage donor relationships. I love that it's connected to communications software so you can send targeted emails/newsletters/etc and it tracks engagement. We also have access to DonorSearch, which usually costs boku bucks and out of the price range normally for a small nonprofit like ours. Now we can do donor research without it breaking our bank. I also like that you can set up tasks to help remind you about connecting with specific donors.

Cons

I don't like that when you set up a business and enter someone's name associated with the business, that you can't easily search for that person by name. It seems only the individual name search works this way. My work around is to search using email addresses, but sometimes I don't know that. It would also be lovely to tie business giving to each person's account who is connected to that business (if the gifts are corporate gifts). This way, I might be dealing with someone in accounting about a gift by a bank, but I have to go through multiple bank employee names of file before I find who authorized a specific gift.

DonorPerfect

Functionality and features

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Price point and features where what sold us on this product.
Mary A.

Bloomerang - Big Bang for your Non-Profit CRM Buck!

Reviewed on 2021/08/23

Great company to do business with! Had a very positive experience starting with the sales team, on through implementation and going live. We budgeted for some customization related to our website donation page and e-newsletters--well worth the money. Fantastic customer support since going live! Triggers for 1st time donor calls are a big plus for getting the engagement and donor retention ball rolling. Looking forward to using DonorSearch more--pricing on that is a real bargain!

Pros

Bloomerang's functionality, ease of use and flexibility were deemed very important for a small non-profit with zero database experience. Having all grant and donor data in one location has made the organization much more efficient with regard to mailings and e-communications! Love the flexibility of being able to edit individual acknowledgment letters. Bloomerang’s focus on donor retention practices and engagement stand to strengthen donor relationships and increase revenue. Finally, significant value and opportunity are represented in the DonorSearch add-on to conduct prospect research and enhance major gift pursuit.

Cons

Be sure to factor in adequate implementation costs, especially if your organization is new to data conversion. While Bloomerang offers great small shop pricing for organizations with few donors and small budgets, in terms of implementation I would recommend, and budget for, either their customized conversion or a basic conversion with the help of a consultant. This is too important an investment for folks who are already short on time, and in this case, the needed expertise. So not really a con, more like a reality check if you are new to database software. Multiple tributes within a single gift seem problematic and could use improvement.

Blackbaud eTapestry, Neon CRM and Keela

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Bloomerang's functionality, ease of use and flexibility were deemed very important for a non-profit with zero database experience. Competitive pricing incentives and superior customer support ratings were also critical to a final decision. Significant value and opportunity are represented in the DonorSearch add-on to conduct prospect research and enhance major gift pursuit. Finally, additional value flows from the free Fundraising Standard scholarship.
Jared S.

Get some traction

Reviewed on 2021/08/23

This has been an invaluable tool in our work to build relationships with our constituents.

Pros

The software helps me feel more in charge of fundraising. It's one place that keeps all my information in a reliable and accessible way. It really assists with the informal nature of relationship building by offering structures to articulate and evaluate.

Cons

Sometimes the processes can be a little too involved, especially the ones that I use less often. I find myself having to re-teach myself things because there are so many steps. But honestly, that's a minimal critique. I really do believe the software is as effective as the user.

Wild Apricot, Salesforce Sales Cloud and Neon CRM

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

The salesperson was straight forward and had a great understanding of the software. They were exceptional at walking through product and quickly showing off just how effective it could be. the entire onboarding process was highly professional yet also personal. I felt like I was being helped at every step of the way and never felt like it was just about the "sale." There has been constant check-ins and questions about how things are going. At all times I have felt like if I ever ran into an issue, I could get assistance and get right back to work super fast. Not once have we questioned Bloomerang as our choice. Also, the pricing model was super easy to understand. A year later and the other shoe hasn't dropped. The pricing remains fair in relationship to our growth.
Scott B.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

So much easier to use than our previous CRM

Reviewed on 2021/08/19

We have two people in our comapny that use Bloomerang on a daily basis, and we find that we both use it in entirely different capacities. Throughout the year we find ourselves using so many different aspects of it —entering gifts, tracking engagement, creating notes & interactions, running reports, and so on. That just goes to show how robust it is.

Pros

Bloomerang provides so much more versatility and functionality than our previous CRM tool. I love the ease of entering donations, an easy-to-read Timeline for each donor/organization, the ease of creating receipts/acknowledgements, and so many more things. I especially love the "Chat" function for customer support — quite often I'm able to open up that chat window and there's a representive there that helps me with whatever question I have that day (creating reports, looking for features, giving a "how-to", etc)

Cons

I would love to see the "Templates" area for reports fleshed out even more. I've found that some of the reports that my Executive Director have asked for would appear to be reports that many upper-level management would be looking for, but I've had to build them from scratch. But I also know that Bloomerang offers an area where we can make suggestions, so I utilize that when this occurs.

Diane C.

Bloomerang is easy to use and access stored information plus they have A+ customer support

Reviewed on 2021/08/16

Pros

Bloomerang is very easy to use compared to E-Tapestry which is what we had been using before. Running reports and lists is a breeze and I love that our e-communications and online/recurring giving is all integrated in Bloomerang which was not the case in E-Tapestry. We're very pleased with it. It has saved me lots of time because everything is really intuitive and simple. Plus, the chat support is awesome. If I run into problems I get quick help and usually it's easy to do whatever is I need to do!

Cons

The online giving forms aren't integrated into our website (people are directed to a Bloomerang hosted pate) which I think would be nice and enhance the donor experience. I've not done a good job or spent the necessary time to set up grant tracking as I would like to have it and I wish that felt as easy as running reports does.

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

eTapestry was not easy to use and lacked many of the features that Bloomerang has. Running reports was laborious and it's very easy to do in Bloomerang.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

A colleague had experience with Bloomerang and it seemed like the right product for the organization. We considered Salesforce but Bloomerang seemed much more tailored to NP fundraising and much easier for us to set up and start using without a huge learning curve.
Liz M.

An Important Investment

Reviewed on 2021/07/19

I love Bloomerang. I've used it as a one person Development Team for a couple years and for the first time in our organization's 45 year history we are able to track gifts without a messy spreadsheet. We now have added a team member who is finding it easy to dive in with all the great on-demand trainings they offer. I look forward to using more of Bloomerang's tools now that we have a little more capacity.

Pros

Bloomerang makes it super easy to track donor info and run reports to manage your fundraising data. The team is great--warm, wonderful people who understand nonprofit fundraising needs. Their frequent webinars are excellent to keep you up on new trends, ideas, and sharing best practices and their on-demand classes on how to use the database are extremely helpful.

Cons

Importing interactions from our custom program software can get tricky and often results in duplicate accounts that we later have to try to clean up. And I wish there could be prompt for monthly recurring gifts that made it easier to enter them, rather than having to look them up and add each payment--there's got to be an easier way for this once a recurring gift is set up.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Bloomerang was the easiest to use with the most important functions I needed for our nonprofit.

Response from Bloomerang

I love this Liz! Thank you so much for the thoughtful feedback.

Idit S.

great for small non-profits

Reviewed on 2021/07/15

Have recommended to others and would continue to do so. For small non-profits that are not going to hire a full time database person, this is simple enough for our entire staff to use. We even use it to track our client information since it is easy enough to manage. Stands out for customer service. When we can't figure things out, they quickly help and have solved everything quickly (or explained the limits).

Pros

It was easy to on-board and set up. Great customer service. We were able to quickly get data into the system, send emails, integrate on our website and get the basics running. As small non-profit, it is growing with us as we are growing our donor management and tracking capabilities.

Cons

The power of reporting and on-line forms could be improved. Editing/importing data is also a little awkward. Wish there was a way to bulk update that was simpler. Customization is limited. There is a tension between not be so complicated like other software, but sometime it is a little too simple. That said, I would still choose this in a heart beat.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Reasonable price and much easier to use.

Response from Bloomerang

Thanks so much!

Since Bloomerang's acquisition of Kindful, we have drastically upgraded our online giving tools, as well as added new functionality like peer-to-peer! You can check them out here:

Here's a quick guide for making mass udpates:

Aaron S.

King of Integrations (with great Support)

Reviewed on 2021/07/14

Switching to Bloomerang (and some third-party services that integrate well) has been a key to taking our organization to the next level.

Pros

Bloomerang does almost everything you need out-of-the-box, and even more with a little custom help from the team during setup. But what really makes it shine is the integrations. If a built-in feature isn't cutting it for you, then add your favorite service and just use Bloomerang to track. Even if an integration isn't native (automatic), you can add it via Zapier.

Cons

The interface is built to be user-friendly, and it is for the most part. But there's just no reason to cut off the side margins. At least for viewing reports with lots of columns, a wider view would greatly improve the experience and usability. I shouldn't have to export a list just to see more than 5 columns.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

eTap is a stagnant product with no significant upgrades in years unless you "upgrade" to Raisers Edge. It's just a gateway product for Blackbaud and as users, we always felt like Blackbaud didn't really care about us. Bloomerang on the other hand is leading the market in many ways gives us their best product with their best support. AND we're not paying any more than we were for eTap.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Better price, right features for us, and best integrations
Gina M.

Could not be more pleased with Bloomerang CRM!

Reviewed on 2021/07/11

We had previously used a CRM that we were very displeased with and our database was a mess in our previous software. Bloomerang helped clean that up so that we could have a clean transition to Bloomerang. So appreciated!

Pros

From start to finish, Bloomerang makes it a priority that the customer is working with a real, live person. Not only is their staff informed and reputable, they are personally invested in their work at Bloomerang and the organizations that utilize the CRM.

Cons

This software has been efficient and useful across all categories!

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

eTapestry was clanky, hard to use, and the interface was very confusing and overwhelming.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Bloomerang is more nonprofit-focused and not as "sales-y" and big corporation feeling. These are features important to us.
Jennifer B.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Bloomerang makes my job easier and more fun!

Reviewed on 2021/06/08

As a one-person development department, I have to manage multiple tasks and Bloomerang has been the best way to streamline, track, report our inputs and, most importantly, make sure we are implementing adequate donor cultivation and stewardship.

Pros

I love the ease of use, the extensive training opportunities, reporting features, interaction tracking, email that connects to donor records, and the dashboard where I can look at our progress and tasks every day.

Cons

I wish the donation page was easier to customize. I'd like to add more imagery and thank you messaging. It would also be nice if there were more email templates.

OneCause and Network for Good

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Greater Giving is primarily an event management software, and not very user-friendly. It's processes and systems were outdated, in my opinion. I needed to do more in terms of donor tracking and acknowledgement, planning, and marketing.

Greater Giving

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Bloomerang was highly recommended by fundraising professionals I know and respect. The sales team was very patient with us as we made the very slow decision and then had to find funding to get started. Customer service and training has been outstanding since the beginning.

Response from Bloomerang

Wow Jennifer! What a well rounded review. Thank you so much for the kind words. We have the best customers!

Marjorie M.

Great Value... Always Evolving

Reviewed on 2021/06/03

Overall this is my favorite donor and volunteer management software for a small to midsize nonprofit. The pricing is scalable and it really does a great job of integrating everything you know about a donor into one place.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and understand Bloomerang out of the box. The customer service and training offered are first rate. Additionally, I love that wealth screening and NCOA scans are part of the package and not something I have to purchase and integrate separately.

Cons

There's very little I dislike. I want to be able to create custom titles and suffixes for people, but there's very little in Bloomerang that I can't do that I want to do.

DonorPerfect, Blackbaud eTapestry and Little Green Light

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

I could not figure out how to do anything in our old database, reports were impossible, our data was a disaster. I had to spend a lot of money on consultants to fix our "free" Salesforce database. Compared to those costs, Bloomerang is cheap!

Salesforce Service Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

I had used this before and knew it had what I wanted, pricing was competitive and lead times to get it done were reasonable.

Response from Bloomerang

WOW Marjorie, thanks so much for your kind review. We were thrilled when the nightly NCOA was went live. Such an added benefit to our customers.