Showing 49 reviews of 37

e-MDs Solution Series

Electronic health records and practice management software

Showing 49 reviews of 37
Heather K.

Such a sad fate for Aprima!

Reviewed on 2019/11/10

Our overall experience with eMDs is HORRIBLE!! We are looking at potentially switching systems but will not make that decision until we see how things on the EHR side of things shake down. The only reason that we have not run away screaming yet is that we have been using the system for more than 5 years and are not up to the task of learning a new system and moving all of the records over. However we may change our tune depending upon how badly eMDs mismanages the system and how badly they decide to screw up what was essentially a fairly decent program as far as EHR's go.

Pros

I thought that the EHR was pretty good when Aprima was its own entity. While eMD's has not completely botched it up, it looks like this is coming.
Aprima academy was a great resource but it is being changed to an eMD's product so I doubt it will be of any use any longer.
By the way, it is NOT cloud based! Don't let them tell you it is - that is a lie!
Also, they will nickel and dime you to death! Beware!

Cons

Aprima was a pretty good software when we signed up five years ago. While customer service was never a strong suit (still is not - may be even worse now), it was user-friendly for the most part. (Although when we signed up we were told it was a cloud-based system and it definitely IS NOT!
We were using all functions of the system including the RCM/PM system. Since the eMD's takeover, that part of the system is a complete shit show and I absolutely beg anyone NOT to sign up for this portion of the system! Basically eMDs outsourced this whole portion of the system to India where is it now being managed by 600 people who have NO IDEA about billing and coding. (Even less than Aprima had prior to the move over - which we found out the hard way. We lost A TON of money and now use an independent billing and coding system who is still trying to clean up eMDs mess. ) Please, if you do nothing else, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE RCM/PM PORTION OF THIS SYSTEM unless you want to go bankrupt!
I am concerned that the Aprima Academy is being changed. Thus far it seems that eMDs screws up everything it touches so we will see how badly they mess this one up.

Temeka A.

too complicated

Reviewed on 2009/08/22

Do not purchase this system if you are not in the medical field.

Pros

Alot of fancy features and built in wording to make documentation quicker.

Cons

The systemis sold as a "For All-Be All" and its not. The system is great for medical practices. However, being a mental health company the system is very difficult to function by a nonmedical person. Too many clicks to get to where you want to go when it comes to customizing your own data. The representative was thoroughly trained in the system. However, when it came time for us to use it was too much and the company return policy is a trap. The company has a week-long training. We purchased the software but had to wait over a month to get in the training class. While in Austin, we verbally explained that it was not what we thought it was and too difficult for our staff. Then I requested a refund, which was denied because it was past the time frame. Keep in mind we did not even get in a training class til over a month later, which meant that we were out of thousands of dollars by this time.

Shikha M.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Medisoft just got bought out by EMD

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Avoid like the plague

Pros

I have not been able to send secondary claims for over a month... and EMD's are of no help! I will have to print the claims and submit them manually

Clarenc B.

Cost me over $50,000 in Medicare Penalties

Reviewed on 2016/11/24

EMD's has not updated their software to make them compliant with PQRS data retrieval required by Medicare. We have had EMD's since 2009. PQRS and Meaningful Use are Medicare requirements. EMD's has not created an update that meets these requirements. Our practice has lost over $50,000 because of this. We were able to salvage an additional $75,000 loss by hand counting and collecting some data required by PQRS. This came at a significant employee cost. Other EMR systems such as Modernizing Medicine are up to date with their ability to gather the data required by PQRS and I strongly recommend that you look at that product or others.

Pros

Good accounting module

Cons

No support for upcoming Medicare requirements on data collection --- PQRS and Meaningful Use.

Gavin S.

Great Software, Non-existent support

Reviewed on 2015/02/10

Pros

Great product.

Cons

Absolutely no support. It is almost to the point where you may as well learn SQL on your own to fix things.

Albert R.
  • Industry: Insurance

User Friendly

Reviewed on 2020/06/26

My overall experience was great with it. The software was easy to learn and easy to use. It also wasn't hard to teach a knew employee how to use it either.

Pros

I used this software at my first job out of college. It was easy to learn and even if you did make an error most of the time it was easy for you to fix the problem yourself. I don't ever remeber having to ever calling tech support because it was so user friendly.

Cons

The main thing that sticks out the most to me is that the billing portion I used was all black and white. I think it could have been more beneficial if you could had color that was added to it. Or even added a post it to the account instead of having to click on the note section.

Graf H.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

eMDs for procedure oriented practice

Reviewed on 2020/05/29

Functional electronic medical record, able to e-prescribe.

Pros

Can be customized and updated with templates for procedures tailored to individual practices

Cons

Poor customer service. Updates are plagued with issues. Issues take forever to get resolved.

Mariah K.

Please don't choose E-mds as your EHR system!

Reviewed on 2015/01/21

Their customer service is horrible. E-mds requires customers to put in a "support ticket" and the average turn around time for "support" is weeks or months before you hear back. Example: We put in a ticket for our P.A. to be able to send prescriptions electronically. Our Doctors and management staff had to call weekly to try and get an answer. After the ticket had been "assigned" to a technician the problem remained for another month and a half until a technician FINALLY reached out to our office. This is not the first time we have ran into lengthy waiting periods! We decided at that point the only solution to the problem was to switch EHR systems. We then contacted E-mds on the 'support' line regarding exporting our data and was immediately told that we would need to put a ticket in for our QUESTION per representative Robert. I'm sure he could tell that we were very frustrated and needed a quick answer to a simple question. He said, "Im sorry, let me see if can get an answer to your question." then placed me on hold for 26 minutes. I was told, "Let me get you over to Chris who can assist you with that!". Once Chris answered, after another 30 minute hold, he stated that he wouldn't be the one I would need to speak with. He placed me on a brief hold then stated I would need to speak with someone in IT Support. I was then transferred to Barbara who had no idea why I had been transferred to her and why I was calling. Here we go again! I had to explain why I was calling and what I had just been through in the last 50 minutes. After that was out in the open she told me I would need to put in a ticket. Irate, I hung up the phone and put in a ticket on their support website. I called back to the main line where I was greeted by Robert, again, who told me to send an email to [email protected] with the name of our practice, what software we were currently using, and would receive an answer in the next 24 hours. Did that ever happen? NO! My original ticket was put in on 01/09/15 (which has been assigned to a tech) and another ticket was put in 01/16/15 (which has been assigned to a tech) and have yet to hear anything back. We have been with e-mds the last 4 years and hopefully this is the LAST year!!!! (if we can EVER get an answer how to export our data)

Kristy D.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

EMD's

Reviewed on 2018/08/15

Pros

The patient information was easy to access. It was compatible with Phreesia

Cons

The charting was so many clicks for the doctors

Michael R.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

We have a three provider group with over ten years of experience with Emds. They are always...

Reviewed on 2018/05/20

At one time it was a C+ EMR, however over time it slower transformed into a super D- electronic solution.

Pros

The chart has grown on me like a wart on my nose.

Cons

They really don't care about this product. It shows in the patchy software and costumer care. They are like the harvest transplant team taking one organ at a time until they get to they heart. I guess that makes our office brain dead.

Jarrett L.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Bad and getting worse

Reviewed on 2017/07/31

Don't buy this software. It is nothing but frustration. I'm currently transitioning to another EHR.

Pros

I've been using EMD for about 6 yrs. It was not so bad in 2012. The best thing about EMD is that I wont have to use it after I'm done getting set up with another company's EHR.

Cons

They refuse to fix any of the issues. The program randomly removes the medication from the active med. list. Sometimes meds cannot be printed and if controlled can't be sent electronically either. The IT "support" will often lie to you when calling about an issue. Every update causes the program to crash.

Worst EHR system

Reviewed on 2020/04/23

Pros

I can access from my iPad . Not much else positive to say

Cons

This is easily the MOST stressful part of my job. EMDs is chalked full of errors, moves in a cogwheel fashion. I spend a substantial amount of time staring at me screen waiting for system to respond. This system goes down on a regular basis with no solutions in sight! I would never recommend this EHR system to ANY practice. Looking to switch to another system.

Evan D.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Down at least 50% of the time; asking for fixes--nothing happens

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

Providing patient data and patient-MD communication

Pros

Menu is OK although sometimes buttons don't work

Cons

The messaging functions often simply don't work.
The test results functions rarely work.
You can't get any help.
When you tell the MD's office they have a problem, mostly nothing happens, so they must be having trouble getting a hold of eMDs Solutions.
MD's staff even agrees that their Portal is terrible.
There are many bad portals out there, but this is among the worst I've expereienced--and this has been going on since it was installed!
These guys have a long way to go to re-earn my trust.

John L.

MD working w this system 6 years / tried Athena and went back to Emd. Portal needs improvement

Reviewed on 2016/09/22

Like system and will continue to use it . Not had major problems with system or support. Hope they will update with new requirments of meaningful use / payment for performance etc. JL

Pros

can do notes day before I see my regular patients/

Cons

reminder system not ideal pt needs cxr 3 mo example

Luis a R.

Customer Service is disastrous!!!!!!

Reviewed on 2015/01/25

I have been using e-MDs for about 8 years and customer service is very poor in Puerto Rico and in the states. The software itself is quite good and simple to use but when you need service, is a Mount Everest climb to get.

Mark C.

Great

Reviewed on 2014/07/03

Used it steadily for over 6 years. I think it's a great product and did everything I needed. LOTS of functionality and extremely user friendly. Very customizable to your needs.

Excellent, comfort and speed of technology extends to the doctor's office.

Reviewed on 2018/04/07

The benefits are multiple, allows to program patients, equipment and personnel which can be a complex task, which makes a big difference in patient satisfaction. Likewise, you can have full control of EHR directly from the office or hosted in the cloud eMDs, the series of solutions works as a doctor thinks, and among other things, the Solution Series section is also known to be the leading system in capturing accurate clinical and billing data that supports the ability to make detailed quality reports and generate accurate claims.

Pros

I like the most is that it improves the patients' experience with your practice, gives them the confidence that the practice enabled with technology can provide fast, efficient, accurate and compassionate attention. The management technology of medical practice improves relations with the patient, instead of moving away from them. I also like that Solution Series clinical solutions are designed by practicing physicians who recognize that the software must be fast, customizable and intuitive at the point of care.

Cons

I like the least is that the form of relationship of the doctor with his patient is not predicted by the software and many of them, we must use technology but with caution.

Atitaya T.

Flawed,buggy, updates made a once great software unusable. Non-existant support made it...

Reviewed on 2020/08/14

Incredibly sad. What started off as a great product devolved into an unusable one. We were loyal custormers for 8 years and by the end the software for us was completely unusable. Competent tech support may have been able to salvage our situation. We switched to Praxis EMR. It has been amazing and we have not looked back ever since.

Pros

In 2011 when we first purchased the software it was an amazing piece of software that fit the needs of our small clinic. The templates were cumbersome to set up but allowed a wide degree of customization which fit our needs as a headache clinic. The charting involved a lot of clicking...but ultimately it produced a very high quality note and performed all of the functions a small clinic would hope for from an emr.

Cons

Every single update over the past nine years chipped away at the happiness we initially felt with Emds. Cpt codes stopped loading...old templates no longer worked and were progressively harder to build. Lag time built up in using the software...logging in issues...stability issues...etc...and then mediciines that were entered into the emr started to disappear. E-prescribing stopped working all together. We found our work arounds looking more and more like paper...as "tickets" would sit for ages in the help cue with utterly unhelpful responses from the tech support team. In particular...when e-prescribing stopped working and I reported the error and situation to the tech team...I was told to update our computers. We ran through 5-7 hours of tech time from our local tech support company chasing down problems that emds sent us looking for. Then...in the subsequent update the exact problem that we had relayed to emds was listed as a "bug" that had been fixed. After all of our chasing and updating of our system...the newest update required a server upgrade in order to be implemented. That was our last straw. The $5000 maitance cost every year for the software is a huge expense. The service that comes with that expense leaves a tremendous amount to be desired. The attitude and tenor of the techsupport was also non-professional and ultimately completely unhelpful.

George M.

Reviewed on 2013/02/25

I operate a solo practice general surgery office with one surgeon and two employees in a small town in north central Mississippi. I have been using e-MDs Solution Series since 2001 when I completed my active duty service obligation in the US Army. Software has come a long way in that time frame. My server is local in my office, not off-site. I provide my own IT support as there is no reliable support of sufficient calibre in town to do so. I occasionally use outside internet based support when I need OS/Active Directory/DNS/etc... type support.

Upon leaving the US Army, I realized that electronic records were up and coming as the best means for documentation. I had no prior EMR experience, other than the CHCS system that was then in use in the DOD.

I have been diligent in keeping my system up to date with the latest version of e-MDs. I use iPad nMotion application for documentation of notes for patients seen out of office. as well as reviewing records/documents from prior visits. I use iPhone Rounds application to document billable procedures that I perform outside of my office. Both apps can be used to scribe electronically when needed. The iPhone app comes in handy after hours to document phone conversations with patients immediatly after the call has ended. In the office, I use a Windows 7 Pro tablet to document my notes with the main Solution Series applications.

Implementation initially was in 2001. I attended a two day training in Austin, TX where I learned both the charting and billing side of the software (Remember I was just in the US Army and had no billing experience, minimal coding experience). I hired a woman who had some billing experience from prior Family Medicine practice she had worked in. I taught her the Billing software mechanics. She taught me the coding/billing insurance processes. We were up and running in days and never looked back. I closed that initial practice and upon moving to my current location. I was able to set up the computer system, restore the database, and initially train two persons to use the software in the performance of their duties. I have had a few billing clerks over the last 10 years, and I and the outgoing clerk were able to train the incoming individual without difficulty. I actually can perform all the billing functions as needed when my clerk is absent (invoice generation, claim batch submission, posting of payments from insurance and patients, transfer of balances, statement creation, etc...)

The charting software is currently very customizable to anyone's practice. As a general surgeon, my charting needs are somewhat different from a primary care practice needs. The ability to create/edit templates to document the different sections of the note, makes note creation very easy. By having complete templates, I auto-prompt myself or remind myself to ask questions that I might have forgotten to ask otherwise.

Customer support has always been a strongpoint of the e-MDs company. I 'auto-triage' my support. Things that I need an answer to yesterday, are answered yesterday. Things that can wait, are submitted via the support forum and are answered in an appropriate amount of time. I also look for the answers to my questions prior to submitting the question.

Benefits are hard to quantify in terms of dollars and cents. I was able to successfully attest to meaningful use both in 2011 and 2012 by using the system. I don't spend rent money floor space for a chart room. I don't pay my staff to go find and retrieve physical medical records to bring to me for review/comment/entry, and then refile them. Paper work is not lost once entered into the chart.

David B.

Don't Do It!

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

Overall experience is very poor. STAY AWAY FROM EMDS..

Pros

The system is ok when its working correctly

Cons

Very Very POOR customer service. Continuously running slow, freezing and disconnecting. We have been using Emds for 6 years and have regretted the move ever since day 1. They lie to you to get you on board and the hidden costs are ridiculous. We have finally decided to move away from emds. If you sign on with them, you too will regret it. Their customer service has to be one of the worst in the industry. You have to submit a ticket and it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get a reply.

Katalin W.

No support

Reviewed on 2016/07/23

Pros

The patient portal worked for a year and everyone benefitted. Too bad it has been useless for 2 years.

Cons

The list is endless. You have to build everything on your own. Very cumbersome, labor and click intensive. Feels like a bottomless pit: keep feeding data (by hand in it) and not get any benefit out.
Absolutely no support. Etc.