Asset Essentials Reviews

Web-based CMMS system for SMBs

4.3/5 (106 reviews)

Reviewed on 5/7/2013
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our Facilities Management Department covers the operations of 24 town buildings in our municipality. These buildings also include three elementary schools and one middle school. Our maintainers and custodians handle all aspects of these buildings, from cleaning and grounds work, to repairs, HVAC and inspections (just to name a few).

Prior to Maintenance Edge we utilized two work order systems. School staff used an in-house request system through our IT Department, while all other town employees utilized a purchased software (MP2).

My position is that of Administrative Assistant and I am the one individual that processes all work requests for our office. This meant switching back and forth between our two systems making sure all requests were processed. Work requests were not addressed during any absences from the office (vacation, etc.), thus sitting in queue until my return. Also, there was not a concise record of completed tasks.

I am still the one individual in our organization who uses MaintenanceEdge on a full time basis. However, we have now added our maintainers and custodians as daily users of this program. When we began using it in November of 2012, I realized how simple and flexible this program was. It has met all of our needs, and as I continue to use the system, I find more and more areas we can adapt to its use.

It has been extremely helpful in reducing the amount of daily work order processing, as so much is now automated through the program. Instant notification to our maintainers' cell phones and email gives immediate contact on requests and tasks, thus eliminating any delays during my out-of-office time. Automatic routing also eliminates the need to forward work orders to the proper maintainer, since notification is within minutes. This function also allows our maintainers to check on work orders when at a specific building, thus eliminating duplicate travel time. This has greatly improved the productivity of our department.

We have also taken advantage of the automated reports function, which generates and emails the specific building reports to the proper individuals on a weekly basis. Everyone, including building directors and principals, are "on the same page" with updates and tasks. MaintenanceEdge definitely helps us all communicate more effectively and efficiently.

Finally, from the standpoint of the "requesters" at our many buildings, they find it very user friendly. One 20-30 minute training session was all it took to get all users up and running. The transition has been very smooth, especially with the added assistance from the FacilityDude support staff. They are easy to contact, always friendly, and have the correct answers and information that is needed; and if not, they continue to work on any issues until they are solved.

I've recommended MaintenanceEdge to a number of colleagues in local governments in my area. It is a user-friendly system with fantastic customer support. From my standpoint, it is a blessing, and has done wonders for our department!

A Tool You Can Not Go Without

Reviewed on 1/27/2014

We initially began using Facility Dude in July of 2013. Are initial goal was to utilize Facility Dude in several departments thru out our Government entity. The startegy was to start out slowly to see if the software would meet our needs. After adding our fifth department last week, we have become very pleased with its performance.

Facility Dude is currently being used in our following departments: Parks and Recreation, Public Works, Communications, Community Development and Construction and Maintenance. Each department is on schedule of implementaion of various degrees and levels. The unique aspect of Facility Dude is that the departments have been able to operate seperatley within the same account while the sytem stays intact as a whole. This allows for upper management and county officials to view a snap shot of all departments at any given time. The other crucial advantage of using one work order system is that departments can easily exchange information without restriction.

Facility dudes internet based access does not burden hardware specifications allowing us to be creative in finding efficient means of operation. For example we can utilze Ipad technology that is a few years old allowing us to purchase used hardware at a much less expensive expenditure. This carries over to not needeing as powerfull technology in relation to overall hardware costs.

Several times while implementing Facility Dude we have come across needs that were not readily tested already within the workings of the original system. Facility Dude has been very helpful in working with us in developing protocols to work thru these "custom to us" features. Currently we are working together in areas that need fine tunning.

The overall impression we have recieved from our online in the field staff has been very positive, with an emphasis on ease of use. The support staff at Facility Dude has always be extremly timely and usually instant.

The timely completion rate of work orders has decreased from one half to one full day on average. This has been a result of requests from requesters going immediately into the system and technicians being able to see them and route themselves accordingly.

Can I at this time do a complete review of Facility Dude? No I can not, reason being is that as much as we have already made succesfull we have not begun to scratch the surface of all that we think Facility Dude will do for us.

Maintenance Direct has been a lifesaver for our department.

Reviewed on 4/22/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

SchoolDude has the best customer service department! We really appreciate their prompt and friendly staff. Maintenance Direct is very user-friendly and allows unlimited user access. I loved that it was so easy to implement, you only had to enter minimal amount of data before using.

Cons

The only thing I can say is maybe allowing some customization in some of the filed categories instead of having to use their default list. Some districts may use different ways to describe the same function.

SchoolDude User Friendliness

Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

My overall thoughts of schooldude would be that it serves it purpose for scheduling event but it really is not user friendly. The amount of time that it takes for a new user to complete a proposal to schedule an event is pretty tedious.

Cons

I am not a new user so it is easy for me to access and set of events but even explaining to new users is hard because of the lay out. I think it needs to be more simplistic. For example like when you turn on a new Iphone it asks for a piece of information then you hit next and it asks for another. Then it populates all your information for you to review at the end.
One other flaw that I noticed in it for billing purposes is that it does not send an email notification when something new is put on to the calendar. Which would be really helpful when something is added last minute if the invoices are already completed for that day.
I am not a veteran and do not know all the ins and outs of schooldude, but I do think these fixes could improve the users experience on it.

6.0/10

First CMMS at Atlas

Reviewed on 6/23/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

MaintenanceEdge start up has been amazingly simple. Once our equipment list was finalized and given to Dude Solutions, their team completed all the data entry allowing free time for our end users to familiarize themselves with the software. The navigation is easy and training went smoothly and quickly. The support staff has been lightening quick about any questions that have come up. On going weekly scheduled meeting with our dedicated representative from Dude have reinforced training and expanded regularly on our knowledge of the program.

Cons

There are a few functions that have been lacking that tech support has been made aware of. Not all of the reports are able to be automatically generated on a schedule, ie. Downtime. I would like to see the ability to toggle some of the fields on or off depending on the end users preferences.

THE EASE OF IT ALL

Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Learning to use MD was so easy. I can enter purchased items, or stock items and then actually track the cost of a job, including the labor. It lets you know what status it is in, New Request, work in progress etc. and each person assigned to that job can actually go in leave notes for the others who are involved. If items have been ordered, you can also notify the others that once they arrive the job can be completed. Working in a school system, you deal with so many locations, and this helps to keep everyone informed and up to date on the latest.

Cons

I wish we had the options of ink colors, so if something is vital, that part could be done in red so that it is very visible.

My Experience with SchoolDude

Reviewed on 4/27/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Ease of use. Significantly less paper work. Quick response when service is indicated. Keeps everyone who needs to be aware of an issue informed. So far the process has worked as advertised. It has allowed our staff to provide quick and accurate responses. There is more accountability when a request is made in writing, approved by a supervisor and acted upon in an efficient amount of time.

Cons

I really can't think of anything. Maybe making deleting a request easier. There are times when the situation submitted has been addressed through a conversation and there is no need for the responder to take action.

Repair Assistance 101

Reviewed on 4/28/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Maintenance Direct keeps great records and history of repairs and those who submit them. It helps to retrieve similar issues and generate vendor repairs as a combined problem, rather than piece meal each repair separately. In the long run, it is a tremendous cost savings overall.

Cons

Changes that are not always made known ahead of time that I feel are a sometimes a loss of accessibility. Example is password reset on the administrative side. This has recently changed and it does make it more cumbersome to figure out new user errors such as duplicate logins.

Great Product

Reviewed on 4/23/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I use two packages from SchoolDude. Maintenance Direct and Facility Direct. We also use Trip Direct in our District. All work great together and are seamless. I can go to one and then it will connect me to the others without having to re-enter passwords. All keep records of past events and searches are simple. Maintenance Direct is very powerful and more than meets our needs. Everything is thought out and setup for a School District, but I can see it used for other Business's as well.

Cons

The only complaint that I would have is that the charts on the Home Page of Facility Direct doesn't export to Excel and when printing it out, it can look strange on the paper.

Great Product and Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 4/7/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The product works great for the administrators, technicians, and users. We get positive feedback regularly about our use of this product. And if there happens to be something we don't understand about the product or some way we think the product could be improved, the customer service is happy to respond to requests and take recommendations into consideration.

Cons

Honestly, there's not really anything we don't like about them. They have a good product that they continue to improve. I guess I just wish they had more products.

Preventative Maintenance software

Reviewed on 1/14/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The software has the best (easiest to navigate and common sense flow) user interface out of the 4-5 competitors that I evaluated. The sales rep that I worked with was low pressure and responsive to my needs and questions. Implementation cost and annual service costs were very competitive. The after purchase training and setup was also very positive. I have a point person and scheduled time blocks for training and continue to have great customer service 3 months after implementation. In fact my training rep. emailed me today asking how things were going and if I had any questions.

Cons

In a perfect world, I would like to tailor the software to my specific needs and industry. Facility Dude is a generic software from the sense that it accommodates the language and requirements spanning several very different industries. I have had to be creative in a few cases with how we classify groups and naming convention. Not a big issue however the inability to have some level of customization would be my only complaint.

Tech Request Made Easy

Reviewed on 4/22/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like this product is easy and straight forward in entering a request. Only the facts are needed; not any unnecessary questions to clutter the request.

Cons

It is a little irritating when you can't login when you forget to pull down to itdirect and have to start over; there needs to be an option for iDevices or Android devices and netbooks rather than hardware. Finally, when checking on tech requests, it would be nice if the list pulled up with newest first. I know that is an option at the bottom, but sometimes I forget and have to go to end;

SchoolDude software is outstanding.

Reviewed on 4/7/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

SchoolDude software is user friendly, with amazing reporting features. The Client Services Team goes above and beyond in support of the SchoolDude products. Client Services is not provided from a foreign country. The staff is easy to understand - there is no language barrier. SchoolDude University provides a unique opportunity to expand product knowledge and build relationships with peer institutions.

Cons

There is not a single aspect that I am unsatisfied with.

Wonderful and Amazing

Reviewed on 6/26/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The Product is easy to use, and has wonderful reporting capabilities. Since the product is web based it can be accessed from anywhere. Since the product is web based School dude has the capability to do comparisons on how you are doing in relation to the rest of the world. This shows me what areas we need to improve on and what areas we are doing great on.

Cons

We cannot have a work order assigned to more than one person. Can you guys please change this?

A good fit: SchoolDude's MaintenanceDirect and Landmark Christian

Reviewed on 10/10/2014
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

One of the most compelling reasons that we went with their product is that their applications are built exclusively for the needs of educational institutions. The company has basically put all of their eggs into that basket, which gives them an understanding of educational facilities and their maintenance requirements. Educational environments (be it public, private, or higher) are in a class all their own and are met with certain challenges that other businesses may not necessarily face. All of the staff I have had the pleasure of meeting and/or speaking with exhibit a sensitivity to and knowledge of those unique needs.

Cons

Having come from a completely paper system to an automated system such as SchoolDude's, I haven't experienced any flaws worth noting.

School Dude Review

Reviewed on 4/24/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The product is always up to date and keeps in real time with requests that our clients have put in that help us to reach them faster. It also is an easy to use source for checking into the history of requests along with dates submitted and dates completed.

Cons

Sometimes the product does force some of our tickets into a limbo of sorts when we've tried to assign it employees. It goes into a place in which it's not assigned nor is it open. This issue has caused conflict several times in which someone is waiting for help but we had no idea until we do a full search in which it will then be visible.

SchoolDude - Awesome Product - Awesome Service

Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Questions? Your answer is a phone call away, and there's always a human that answers the phone! We use Facility Scheduling and Maintenance Direct. Both products are easy to use and it's easy to train users in our buildings. SchoolDude also offered conference call training when we did the initial set up.

Cons

I can honestly say I have not had a negative experience with SchoolDude.

MaintenanceDirect

Reviewed on 4/21/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

MaintenanceDirect is very user-friendly. If you should have a issue navigating the system the customer service/ technical support is awesome.

Cons

I would like to be able to batch close work order but craft, assigned to, and/or purpose code.

Director of Facilities

Reviewed on 4/28/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I have had great success using both the Maintenance Direct program and the PM Direct program. Both have assisted my District with becoming more efficient with the Maintenance work orders and the Preventive Maintenance schedules.
The online help or direct phone help is outstanding as well.

Cons

There really is nothing about the schooldude program that I do not like at this time.

Review of Maintenance Direct

Reviewed on 4/23/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

As a Technology Coodinator, I evaluate a lot of different software. ALL of the School Dude products are simple to setup and very easy for the customer to use. The tech support above and beyond what is normally expected. They were able to fix my routing issue in less time than it took for me to login to the portal.

Cons

I wish School Dude was more affordable. On the other hand, you get what you pay for in life.

Suddenly going downhill

Reviewed on 10/31/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I'm afraid SchoolDude has stretched itself too thin and is getting ready to implode. Sooooooo many problems this year. These problems that belong to SchoolDude are truly having a negative impact here.

Pros

When it worked right, which was before 2017, the inventory direct was a great tool for our Warehouse (over 4000 items). Before 2017, when things started going haywire, the PM direct was good; it could have been better. The Maintenance Direct still seems to be working.

Cons

In March of 2017 I do not know what changed; support has never been great but we started having all kinds of bizarre problems and most have not been fixed. The problems have been turned over to their developers......where they stay I guess.

5.0/10

Web Based Maintenance Management Systems made Easy

Reviewed on 4/27/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The product is cost-effective. The only hardware I need is a computer, smart phone, or tablet. The vendor is in touch with the needs of the clients they are trying to reach.

Cons

I would like the product to have more capability to clean up clutter in various data fields. I would like to have more contact from my account representative/manager.

Easy to use and capable.

Reviewed on 5/8/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This system will satisfy our needs for at least the initial five years of a conversion to RCM.

Pros

Ease of use for price, great reporting. The Dude Intelligence reporting is newly developed and comes right out of the box with great graphs and organized data.

Cons

Currently limited in long term root cause failure analysis due to restricted levels of asset organization.

Better than what we were using

Reviewed on 5/19/2016
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

User Friendly for both techs and requester to make work orders.

Cons

The reports do not allow for various options I may wish to use to generate a report and entering of work orders as an administrator is very time consuming. Would also like to attach a file when creating a work order, not have to save it first then go back and upload file.

5.0/10

Reviewed on 2/28/2013
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have multiple facilities across three counties, so we are mindful of travel time and expense. We can easily see the most important items and address those first.

MaintenanceEdge has also enabled us to do benchmarking and analyze our data to determine how we are utilizing our resources. Information from the system is essential when we advocate for additional staff or plan for future needs.

The amount of training for the end users was minimal, staff were able to use the system in just minutes after receiving start up notification which included log-in and short introductory training (Less than 5 minutes and this was done electronically and individually without any special face to face or group training sessions) which made implementation and training costs minimal particulalrly for work requesters. The customer support is fantastic and has exceeeded my best expectations.

I have and will continue to recommended MaintenanceEdge to several of my peers that manage Healthcare Facilities across the United States. MaintenanceEdge is a great product with great support, a winning combination for the facilities I'm responsible and my team that manages them!