Okta

On-demand identity & access management for enterprise

4,7
4,4
4,5
4,6
4,4
Kedar mendhurwar C.

Okta SSO

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

If cost is not an issue, this is should be the tool to go to. This is one of the best IAM tools present out there.

Pros

The deployment and app integration with Okta is fairly simple. The tool is very admin friendly and user friendly. It's due to it's ease of use and wide variety of features that it offers, it is one of the best IAM tools and regarded as one of the best SSO solutions out there.

The SSO integration is very simple and straightforward with most of the apps and most of the vendors that support SSO integration with Okta. The option to have an independent directory as well as an option to integrate with your existing directory works quite well. Other features such as life cycle management, Directory service and threat management make it a complete package.

If cost is not an issue, this is should be the tool to go to. The documentation is very clear and the supoort is very responsive. The deployment takes less than 3 months.

Cons

The only downside is the cost which is much higher as compared to its competitors

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Chase P.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Hands Down The Best SSO/Adaptive MFA Solution on the Market

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

We have been more than pleased with Okta. It makes signing into a bunch of different applications so much easier and only having to remember one password. Without having any prior knowledge with SAML, being able to set up new applications was still very simple and straightforward.

Pros

Okta has simplified everything for us. The process of setting up applications is pretty straight forward, and the number of applications that are supported is amazing. The adaptive MFA is really neat so we can easily balance security and usability to meet just about everyone's needs. The amount of work we have to do to onboard a new user has been reduced drastically through the support of SCIM and APIs. They continue to innovate and bring out new features that further enhance the usability and security of Okta.

Cons

Only minor issues with Okta, primarily being chose of wording for some of the settings that lead to some confusion on when Okta sessions expire.

No need to remember a password or ever log in again!

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

I use this software for a company I work with and love how I don't ever have to remember passwords - AND how it logs me in automatically. I'm a man who loves things to be easy, and Okta removes those extra clicks of having to select my username and click submit (I'm looking at you, LastPass).

Cons

When I'm logged into Okta, it automatically selects my credentials for me. So for sites that I have lots of user names for, it overrides my ability to choose one. I then have to open an incognito window, and pull my un/pw from LastPass - which is a pain.

Owen D.
Industry: Financial Services

Okta integrations is flawless

Reviewed on 2020/08/18

optimizing overall business processes by streamlining authentication.

Pros

How well it integrates with all of our corporate tools needed to secure the enterprise.

Cons

I would request that they expand out the option to remember a device from 10 hours to 12

Eva K.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Okta is Interesting

Reviewed on 2020/01/04

Our headquarters switched from Zimbra to Okta several years ago. Although Okta seems to be much better than Zimbra (our email is now powered by gmail), I wish that the Okta capabilities were a bit more obvious. I just discovered that I could attach other software/services like Mailchimp and social media accounts as plug-ins. My overall experience has been good...just slow-going.

Pros

I would say that it is easier than other team/workforce email software that our company has used in the past. However, I still find it a bit convoluted. It seems like there are many things that can be integrated into our Okta settings.

Cons

I do not know if this is the fault of Okta or our headquarters, but it is still hard to see the full benefits of using Okta for our workplace email/communications.

David B.

Okta Buyer Review

Reviewed on 2019/05/02

Need to provide Single Sign-On (SSO) and policy modeled MFA/Adaptive Authentication along with Directory integration are the main use cases. Okta hit it spot on!

Pros

SaaS Model, easy to provision and supports the most used applications from an access management and directory integration perspective. The user interface and capabilities are light years ahead of the competition.

Cons

Limitations around on-premise integration with applications and environments. This is not too bad as a SCIM provisioning agent/component is available to support limited provisioning to on-prem applications.

Shane V.
Industry: Computer Software

App Management Tool

Reviewed on 2020/09/25

Okta is great for managing the apps and software that I use at work under the ease of one location and sign on.

Pros

Okta's nice because it keeps all of your commonly used apps and software under one sign on. It also helps the organization track usage of software so they can make sure they are investing appropriately in software.

Cons

Unless you'd rather go to the app/software directly there isn't any real downside. I prefer having access to tools in one spot.

Edwin Y.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

One Login to rule them all

Reviewed on 2020/09/21

Okta solves a big problem, especially as we continue to expand the amount of logins/passwords we need to remember both in our professional/personal lives.

Pros

Okta simplifies a day in the technology realm where we have numerous login/passwords to remember for all of our software/website logins.

Cons

In the early stages of using Okta, there was a lot of inefficiencies such as not being able to log in without repeatedly entering in the password/login details again, but they have been since fixed.

Elias alirio M.

Another layer of security

Reviewed on 2020/09/13

Cannot complain really. Security is important in business were people deal with customer information, and protecting that should be a priority. This is a good means to make it happen if you want to ensure only people who can pass this extra security step can access a system.

Pros

I like that this tool has given us the option to add an extra layer of security to people accessing the company's customer data. We use this as an alternative when a similar tool cannot be set for someone. We have set it up so that when the service agents try to access their virtual computer, it sends them a message on their phone to confirm it is them in fact. This adds a good measure of security to avoid someone accessing someone else computer.

Cons

Since it is a security measure, if someone goes wrong when setting it up, it can take a while to get it up and running. Once it is though it is really good.

Shannon P.
Industry: Photography

Okta is a solid choice for SSO.

Reviewed on 2020/08/21

I really like okta overall and i think its a great choice for any size company.

Pros

Our team benefitted from using Okta by making it simple and easy to onboard and off-board employees. my housing everything in one place, we didn't have to go searching for things.

Cons

nothing to really report here. it might have been beneficial for okta to expand its offering to do more of what rippling does.

David R.
Industry: Internet

Single sign-on done right

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

We were trying to solve a ubiquitous problem - how to use cloud/saas services within an enterprise and keep control of the authentication to them all. Okta gives us a centralized place to manage those passwords, automates the integration of Active Directory authorization and authentication, and it also helps employees discover what services are available to us.

Pros

Have you ever heard someone with this "great" idea? "I'm going to make a webpage that has all your links. When you click them, it'll authenticate for you". It sounds great, but in reality it's extremely hard to do. Securely storing passwords, integration with enterprise systems, centralized management of the lists of links, etc. And, if you do one thing wrong, you can compromise the security of literally millions of logins.

Okta seems to have conquered the problem. It's central management is wonderful. New employees login for the first time and immediately have dozens of applications available to them. New applications are all managed through our Active Directory groups.

It has a great chrome extension that gives you access to your links from your toolbar. The smartphone app, Okta Verify, is fast and works well.

Cons

At work, I use 3 servers within Okta. One for our "corporate" servers, one for "production" and one for our parent company. The chrome extension only shows the links from the most recently accessed. So, I end up having to use the web pages, even with the extension.

Also, having multiple Okta servers doesn't work well with LastPass and other password managers. They see all my servers as the same host. But, I have different passwords. So, I basically just turn off password management for Okta.

Industry: Retail

Okta - MFA solution

Reviewed on 2020/07/23

Overall satisfied with product. Many companies have been increasingly integrating with okta.

Pros

We have integrated Okta with most of our apps. With MFA enabled you need to download Okta app on your phone and accept the push to login. I have been using this for more than a year and has been working fine so far. Integrations with Okta have been ok was able to read through documentation and proceed with integration. There is single page which shows all the okta enabled apps which is cool too.

Cons

There is some delay in push notifications at times. Also in case you loose your phone then you are caught up since you need phone to login and need to work with helpdesk to get it sorted.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Great tool for giving end users access

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

we use this for so much, a user wants to access an email account or group, give them a chicklet for it, it allows for much better sharing of items and greater control over the access as well which is great.

Pros

I love this tool. No longer have to risk giving out passwords to account. I can just give my user access to an OKTA account and then assign them chicklets to access account, software, groups and so forth, without them ever having to know the password to them. It works well and is fairly easy to use and set up users. The AD tie in is nice and helps in making it easier to add users to your account. Put yourself at ease and give OKTA a real look you will not be disappointed.

Cons

i would say adding users can seem a bit tricky and odd if you don't do it all the time, it could be a little clearer on adding users into your account. but other than that its pretty solid software

Industry: Computer Games

Single Sign-on that (mostly) works

Reviewed on 2020/11/06

Okta has made signing in quicker, without the need to worry about different passwords.

Pros

Okta provides a useful service by acting as a single sign on for enterprise. As an employee I'm able to store and login to a number of sites, simply with my Okta account.

Cons

While single sign-on is nice, remembering that I'm logged in doesn't seem to work reliably. Many times I have to sign in to Okta, before using it to sign in to another service. Making browser saved passwords more efficient in many cases.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Industry: Construction

Great User Experience and Easy Administration

Reviewed on 2017/05/24

Pros

Our users save minutes every single day, no longer repetitively typing and re-typing their directory password. When we have had issues with applications, their support has been extremely responsive. They also take what the community builds as custom applications and will roll those into the app library as they put polish on them and make them ready for prime time.

Cons

The only downside to Okta is cost. We know these systems are not cheap and Okta is one of the premium models for sure. We decided that with a system which was so user intensive and users had to touch many times per day for logging into applications, we were not willing to sacrifice usability for what came down to not a lot of money. I will tell you that the list pricing on their website is very negotiable. If you can find some other customers to talk pricing to you you'll know that good deals are there if you work it correctly with your account team and their sales cycle.

Bryan G.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Okta is great for MFA

Reviewed on 2019/10/18

Overall Okta has been a very easy tool to adopt and use for the organization. It's been consistent and there haven't been any issues apparent to the end user since the rollout.

Pros

Okta is an extremely easy-to-use software for multi-factor authentication. It is extremely user-friendly from set up to ongoing use for any user with a smartphone. All they have to do is download the Okta app and follow very simple instructions to set up your Okta app with your token. Even switching phones is easy for those who get a new phone. The Okta push is consistent, fast, and reliable. For employees who do not have a smart phone or don't want to download the Okta app on their phone, there are alternatives like receiving a phone call.

Cons

The most challenging part of Okta is that it can only authenticate one account per browser session. If for some reason you have two accounts that each use Okta as the MFA, it makes the user experience a little tricky.

Kalaiselvan K.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Okta Review

Reviewed on 2019/07/07

Overall, i am very impressed with the Okta with its powerful security standard implementation.

Pros

Okta exposes its identity API in REST interface with JSON which provide both Authentication and Authorization based on the need.So it is easy to integrate with any type of application as a front end security layer .

OAuth 2.0 implementation by okta provide token which has a validity for some specific time avoid the overhead of making extra authentication call each time.

They give different sort of strong security implementation including single sign on for both Authentication and Authorization but licensing will vary based on the implementation we use in the application.

Time to integrate with any sort of application is very very less .

Cons

You need to understand okta documentation properly to integrate the appropriate security implementation.

we have to put some initial effort in understanding the API.

Owen F.
Industry: Construction

Okta - Easy on IT, Easy on End Users

Reviewed on 2017/05/11

Pros

Okta is intuitive to manage. It packages a lot of components into a single pane of glass (unlike, say, Microsoft's solution which requires a bunch of disparate systems). You get a log of value for your money. The support and development teams are responsive. The support for single sign-on to non-SSO apps with the browser plugin is very helpful. The product looks nice, and is easy for end users to use. The Okta Application Network has far more apps total, with SAML support, and with provisioning support than the competitors.

Cons

Their MDM solution (OMM) is very basic, and slow to develop more features. It would be nice if you could deploy any mobile app you wish, not just the ones associated with catalog apps. OMM should really support enterprise wireless profiles as well. The browser plugin for IE sometimes misbehaves, and upgrading it doesn't always go as smoothly as it should.

Alexandra D.
Industry: Public Policy

Okta is a One-Stop Hub for Everything You Need

Reviewed on 2019/09/18

I use Okta on a daily basis to access a variety of resources for work, including email, the helpdesk and my HR information. It is easy to use and navigate. I love that it is a one stop hub for all of my company's resources.

Pros

Okta makes it easy to connect to all of my company's resources, especially when I am working remotely. The interface is intuitive and visually appealing. There is a button for each resource on the homepage. You can even personalize your homepage by moving the buttons around so the ones you use most are at the beginning of the list.

Cons

I wish you could create categories or folders and organize all of the resources on the Okta page by these categories or folders. It would help me find the resource I'm looking for even quicker!

Industry: Sports

Okta use for all aspects of office work

Reviewed on 2020/04/09

Getting it set up was a little difficult, but luckily our IT team helped us. Once it was all logged in and set up, it was very easy to use, and our IT team had every app installed that we would need to use for work.

Pros

I like that it puts all of our apps in one place, for use no matter whether we are at the office, on a laptop, or having to use a public computer or even your phone. You can securely access email, box, our workday (time keeping and pay app), and many other things.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to access things if you happen to not have your phone with you. You have to have the second way to log in, and if you don't have your cell phone or an apple watch, you can't confirm your access.

Brian D.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Okta makes all your single sign on apps simple to access

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Okta is a nicely designed, streamlined, experience for the typical end-user. Making SSO to internal websites and application a breeze to use everyday at work.

Pros

Okta was great for all our internal company websites and apps. With the single sign on, there was no need to remember a bunch of passwords to different websites or apps. Even if you added external websites to Okta, it would act like a password manager for your websites that you use external from the company. Very easy to navigate layout, and looks nice.

Cons

if any of your password got out of sync with Okta (mostly external sites that don't use SSO), it was a little difficult to understand how to update the password if you are not tech savvy.

David F.
Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Okta is great for admins and end users

Reviewed on 2020/02/29

Our company has so many apps that trying to remember passwords for all of them would be a nightmare. I love how Okta can grant access to one user while denying access to that same app for another user.

Pros

I love how easy this platform is for end users to immediately pick up and use. It is also extremely powerful for IT admins to configure. The Okta Integration Network is a great resource to see if an app / platform is supported. I also LOVE that they offer free training and certifications.

Cons

I wish there was more documentation on how to configure applications from the Okta side. Example: I need to pass a parameter from Okta into my LMS, but neither the LMS vendor nor Okta has any docs stating how to do this.

Industry: Human Resources
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

The easiest way to sign in to everything

Reviewed on 2019/02/16

Okta has saved me time and energy, and as stupid as it might sound to say that when it comes to maybe 10 seconds for signing in to each service – it definitely adds up over time.

Pros

Okta is the software that I didn't know I needed in my life. Remembering a single password and having access to every service I need for my job is amazing. Long gone are the days of opening my computer in the morning at work and spending the next 20 minutes logging in to all of the websites that I was going to be using that day.

Cons

Honestly, I don't think there is anything. Maybe the ability to customize the look of the main Okta screen? It may even be possible through the backend but it isn't the prettiest in my eyes.

Rachel H.
Industry: Computer Software
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Okta provides security that doesn't create burdensome obstacles

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

I use Okta every day to navigate to Salesforce, Gong, our DAM, Motivosity, and several other applications we use daily. I like how easy it is to get to these applications and that from an end-user's perspective I don't think about the security element of it much at all. It just helps me do my job.

Pros

Okta provides security that doesn't create burdensome obstacles. I love that Okta is really easy to verify with. It also serves as a centralized page to find all sorts of applications that I use every single day. It even allows you to customize the order of the applications so you aren't searching for the ones you use more regularly. I really love the Okta Extension on Google. It makes life so much easier.

Cons

I haven't experienced this, but some people have had to verify more often than they would like. I think for most people, it just does it automatically.

Collin E.
Industry: Retail

Seamless and Secure SSO - A UX Review from a Front-End User

Reviewed on 2018/12/13

I am a user of this software rather an administrator, but do have some visibility to the back-end as I work with our IT department occasionally.

From a user experience standpoint, I have not come across a nicer SSO platform. It is truly a pleasure to use and seamless when accessing our systems.

Pros

A true single sign on platform. We are a high volume company with over 1200 employees and utilize multiple cloud-based vendors. Having all of these platforms centralized within Okta is invaluable. I could not imagine my day-to-day without it.

API documentation is extensive and functionality is robust. Okta has become our "Single Source of Truth" for not only connecting vendors, but also our data.

Mobile based app is intuitive and fast for dual-authentication. System is very secure. Hand-offs are seamless.

Cons

Dual authentication and tokens can sometime require a dual submission.

Permission grants and overall setup for user-specific platforms may take some time.

Other than that, not much more!