Okta

4,7 (569)
On-demand identity & access management for enterprise

Kedar mendhurwar C.

Okta SSO

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

If cost is not an issue, this is should be the tool to go to. This is one of the best IAM tools present out there.

Pros

The deployment and app integration with Okta is fairly simple. The tool is very admin friendly and user friendly. It's due to it's ease of use and wide variety of features that it offers, it is one of the best IAM tools and regarded as one of the best SSO solutions out there.

The SSO integration is very simple and straightforward with most of the apps and most of the vendors that support SSO integration with Okta. The option to have an independent directory as well as an option to integrate with your existing directory works quite well. Other features such as life cycle management, Directory service and threat management make it a complete package.

If cost is not an issue, this is should be the tool to go to. The documentation is very clear and the supoort is very responsive. The deployment takes less than 3 months.

Cons

The only downside is the cost which is much higher as compared to its competitors

Centrify Identity Service, OneLogin and Auth0

Reasons for Switching to Okta

Because of its wide range of compatibility and ease of use.
Kunal G.

Best SSO solution

Reviewed on 2021/11/23

Very easy set up. Admin friendly. Easy to deploy.

Pros

Great compatibility.can integrate with all leading tools in market. Set up is easy. We use it for organization wide sso. Probably the best sso tool in the market.

Cons

The pricing is a little high when compared to other services in the market.

Michal B.

Michal - Okta

Reviewed on 2021/12/27

Pros

The Authenticator is very convenient to use

Cons

The Auto fill is not working that well on Chrome

Patrick P.

Expensive but worth it!

Reviewed on 2021/10/06

Overall I've loved my experience - gives me peace of mind.

Pros

Okta is expensive but an extremely valuable today especially in today's world of cyber security.

Cons

While the tool is great to use the barrier to entry is high as its very expensive compared to competition.

Tikisha F.
  • Industry: Banking

Okta offers various options

Reviewed on 2021/12/10

Overall, I like Okta it’s very easy to navigate, set up, & has various options on how you would like to be authenticated.

Pros

I like the fact that okta offer you various options that you receive multi-factor authorization notification, for example I really like that you request notification thru phone or RSA secure

Cons

I don’t like the fact that Okta does not offer the face Authenticator option for the main log in screen & instead you have to enter your organization’s user information each time you download the app. Also the fact that there is 2 apps with similar names Okta Verify & Okta Mobile is kind of confusing.

Great IAM and MFA solution

Reviewed on 2021/12/16

Okta is a simple but complete and smart solution that helps us rule the access at the applications both from inside and outside the network and authorize the access with many factors and different features.

Pros

Easy to implement with apps and network, a lot of multi factors authenticators and always available. More than 7000 connectors out of the box and easy to make a custom one with many protocols. User-friendly interface and easy to use by anyone.

Cons

It lacks in Priviledge access management and it's expensive, but it is worthy.

Okta

Reviewed on 2021/12/09

Some hiccups with use and not the most intuitive, but likely worth it given the extra security that it offers.

Pros

I love the security that it brings to our organization. It's an added layer that we have which brings value to our clients who trust their data with us.

Cons

It can be a bit difficult to use. Every time I update my computer, something goes wrong with Okta and I need to go through IT to get it working again, so I'm unable to access any of my work stuff for several hours.

Darin D.

Love OKTA!

Reviewed on 2021/12/20

Pros

OKTA is amazing! Makes it so easy to log into all the platforms you use everyday.

Cons

No complaints at all about OKTA! recommend to anyone

Nicholas N.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Okta Review

Reviewed on 2021/12/01

Pros

The single sign-on feature. It is simple and it makes you feel secure. Being required to approve the sign-on from the app helps me ease my mind. There is a level of protection I never felt before.

Cons

Being logged out too frequently. I feel that I am logging into certain logins more than I should. However, I feel that # has decreased since I have used Okta more frequently.

Steven F.

Great authentication tool

Reviewed on 2021/12/05

Great experience with using this solution. Makes me and my company feel safe.

Pros

I love that I can receive authentication code via push or code entry

Cons

Nothing. Great security protocol to incorporate into any business

David R.

Single sign-on done right

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

We were trying to solve a ubiquitous problem - how to use cloud/saas services within an enterprise and keep control of the authentication to them all. Okta gives us a centralized place to manage those passwords, automates the integration of Active Directory authorization and authentication, and it also helps employees discover what services are available to us.

Pros

Have you ever heard someone with this "great" idea? "I'm going to make a webpage that has all your links. When you click them, it'll authenticate for you". It sounds great, but in reality it's extremely hard to do. Securely storing passwords, integration with enterprise systems, centralized management of the lists of links, etc. And, if you do one thing wrong, you can compromise the security of literally millions of logins.

Okta seems to have conquered the problem. It's central management is wonderful. New employees login for the first time and immediately have dozens of applications available to them. New applications are all managed through our Active Directory groups.

It has a great chrome extension that gives you access to your links from your toolbar. The smartphone app, Okta Verify, is fast and works well.

Cons

At work, I use 3 servers within Okta. One for our "corporate" servers, one for "production" and one for our parent company. The chrome extension only shows the links from the most recently accessed. So, I end up having to use the web pages, even with the extension.

Also, having multiple Okta servers doesn't work well with LastPass and other password managers. They see all my servers as the same host. But, I have different passwords. So, I basically just turn off password management for Okta.

Chase P.

Hands Down The Best SSO/Adaptive MFA Solution on the Market

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

We have been more than pleased with Okta. It makes signing into a bunch of different applications so much easier and only having to remember one password. Without having any prior knowledge with SAML, being able to set up new applications was still very simple and straightforward.

Pros

Okta has simplified everything for us. The process of setting up applications is pretty straight forward, and the number of applications that are supported is amazing. The adaptive MFA is really neat so we can easily balance security and usability to meet just about everyone's needs. The amount of work we have to do to onboard a new user has been reduced drastically through the support of SCIM and APIs. They continue to innovate and bring out new features that further enhance the usability and security of Okta.

Cons

Only minor issues with Okta, primarily being chose of wording for some of the settings that lead to some confusion on when Okta sessions expire.

Google Workspace

Reasons for Switching to Okta

Simplicity was the overarching factor in selecting Okta. They are very focused on helping nonprofits as well, and that was a huge bonus for us.
Eva K.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Okta is Interesting

Reviewed on 2020/01/04

Our headquarters switched from Zimbra to Okta several years ago. Although Okta seems to be much better than Zimbra (our email is now powered by gmail), I wish that the Okta capabilities were a bit more obvious. I just discovered that I could attach other software/services like Mailchimp and social media accounts as plug-ins. My overall experience has been good...just slow-going.

Pros

I would say that it is easier than other team/workforce email software that our company has used in the past. However, I still find it a bit convoluted. It seems like there are many things that can be integrated into our Okta settings.

Cons

I do not know if this is the fault of Okta or our headquarters, but it is still hard to see the full benefits of using Okta for our workplace email/communications.

Max B.

Top tier identity provider

Reviewed on 2021/05/18

Okta is our go-to identity provider for clients and plays nice with most other software tools that leverage external identity providers.

Pros

Okta makes it very easy to get started with an identity provider. It has comparable or superior features nearly all other identity providers on the market. The ability to create a trial account to quickly test and assess its feature set is also a huge plus.

Cons

Okta is great but the feature set and documentation can be overwhelming. For experienced IT folks its fairly straightforward to implement but for new users unfamiliar with identity management, the huge feature set and breadth of documentation can be a bit intimidating.

Microsoft Azure

Okta is best of breed
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

The most efficient software to streamline admin tasks

Reviewed on 2021/05/13

Like I mentioned earlier, this is the most valuable software addition, in my experience. It doesn't add any new innovative features, but instead combines all the apps necessary into one log-in process, with a centralized extension that lets you access any platform instantly. Takes away so much of the hassle that comes with working on multiple platforms (imagine - Trello, Gmail, Dayforce, you name it -- no log-in, no security texts, just a click and you're there!)

Pros

This is by far the best new software I've used in the last few years. So many platforms exist that offer the same "innovative efficiency" for employees and employers alike; Okta is the one that really delivers. Long story short (in my experience with it) - it allows you to link all professional accounts (think email, payroll apps, time tracking, any other software you use) into one efficient log-in process, with an extension that allows you to access any of the above at any time, without having to fiddle with passwords, dual authentication, etc. It is a huge time saver for me EVERYDAY, and saves our HR and tech team the headache that comes with having to manually reset passwords or log-in info for employees on a million different platforms.

Cons

There was a slight* learning curve
*slight = it took under 15 minutes to fully set up, with some slight hiccups along the way, if you're not super tech-savvy. Luckily, once you're past the initial set-up, there is never an issue again. Everything just works!

David B.

Okta Buyer Review

Reviewed on 2019/05/02

Need to provide Single Sign-On (SSO) and policy modeled MFA/Adaptive Authentication along with Directory integration are the main use cases. Okta hit it spot on!

Pros

SaaS Model, easy to provision and supports the most used applications from an access management and directory integration perspective. The user interface and capabilities are light years ahead of the competition.

Cons

Limitations around on-premise integration with applications and environments. This is not too bad as a SCIM provisioning agent/component is available to support limited provisioning to on-prem applications.

PingFederate and Oracle CPQ

Reasons for Switching to Okta

Okta is leading the charge in the world of "modern authentication" and has integration/apps to support a highly mobile workforce supporting appropriate access to applications and services.

Okta - MFA solution

Reviewed on 2020/07/23

Overall satisfied with product. Many companies have been increasingly integrating with okta.

Pros

We have integrated Okta with most of our apps. With MFA enabled you need to download Okta app on your phone and accept the push to login. I have been using this for more than a year and has been working fine so far. Integrations with Okta have been ok was able to read through documentation and proceed with integration. There is single page which shows all the okta enabled apps which is cool too.

Cons

There is some delay in push notifications at times. Also in case you loose your phone then you are caught up since you need phone to login and need to work with helpdesk to get it sorted.

Quang L.
  • Industry: Defense & Space

Okta for remote work

Reviewed on 2021/08/24

Experience has been very positive. I access most of the Apps in Okta from home. For those Apps that I cannot access, I'll just wait until I come back to the office to use them, or bring my work laptop home. Okta has made working remotely more convenient.

Pros

Lets you access Apps without directly using VPN. This is useful for working remotely since you can use your personal computer to access the Apps instead of bringing your work computer home to access the Apps. All you need is username and password, and second authentication (if set up) to log into Okta to access your Apps.

Cons

There are still certain Apps that need direct VPN in order to access remotely. For these Apps, you still need to bring home your work computer to connect directly to VPN to access them. If this limitation can be overcome, then Okta would be fantastic for remote work; you no longer need to bring your work computer home.

Great tool for giving end users access

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

we use this for so much, a user wants to access an email account or group, give them a chicklet for it, it allows for much better sharing of items and greater control over the access as well which is great.

Pros

I love this tool. No longer have to risk giving out passwords to account. I can just give my user access to an OKTA account and then assign them chicklets to access account, software, groups and so forth, without them ever having to know the password to them. It works well and is fairly easy to use and set up users. The AD tie in is nice and helps in making it easier to add users to your account. Put yourself at ease and give OKTA a real look you will not be disappointed.

Cons

i would say adding users can seem a bit tricky and odd if you don't do it all the time, it could be a little clearer on adding users into your account. but other than that its pretty solid software

Moises F.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Okta for known and custom developed apps.

Reviewed on 2021/03/15

Overall experience is great! As an engineer I like to have as many options when configuring to provide different solutions (Geoblocking, conditional access, ACL). I have been able to help developers integrate the Okta sign-in widget with their apps, add MFA to SaaS and on prem applications. Feedback I have received from admins is that the GUI is easy to use for password resets and updating accounts. Self service for users has a range of options like updating their profile, adding devices for MFA and you can expose which fields they can update.

Pros

Okta is really easy to integrate with known software like AWS, Citrix, Salesforce, Workday, etc but the feature I like the most is the Okta sign-in widget which developers can use for app sign-in and offload the ID management to Okta for authentication and authorization. It is an easy way to have SAML and give user management to other teams so that your developers can focus on enhancing the app and not so much on the sign-in workflows, security and management.

I also like the documentation around its API. There is a powershell module as well.

Cons

Reporting is basic for an app as well known as Okta. There are times where I needed to get a specific report and I had to gather the data via the logs and api instead of the GUI.

Elena W.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

I No Longer Have to Remember Passwords!

Reviewed on 2021/02/16

I love it. In the future, if I ever get my own business off the ground, I will definitely be considering OKTA as a software that we will use.

Pros

At my company, we had separate logins for SO MANY PLATFORMS. And you know how it goes - each password has to contain a certain number of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, special characters, etc. It was getting so hard to remember passwords, and I was getting sick of having to reset my password every time I logged into something. OKTA solved that problem for me. By navigating to the OKTA page, I could click on one of the "tiles", and it would log me into that platform. Made my life 100x easier.

Cons

Occasionally, I would have issues logging into OKTA itself, which made it impossible to log into my other apps. This was a bug that our IT team seemed to fix. Aside of that, a lot of my issues turned out to be user-error. Once I received training for OKTA, all of my problems were resolved.

Great User Experience and Easy Administration

Reviewed on 2017/05/24

Pros

Our users save minutes every single day, no longer repetitively typing and re-typing their directory password. When we have had issues with applications, their support has been extremely responsive. They also take what the community builds as custom applications and will roll those into the app library as they put polish on them and make them ready for prime time.

Cons

The only downside to Okta is cost. We know these systems are not cheap and Okta is one of the premium models for sure. We decided that with a system which was so user intensive and users had to touch many times per day for logging into applications, we were not willing to sacrifice usability for what came down to not a lot of money. I will tell you that the list pricing on their website is very negotiable. If you can find some other customers to talk pricing to you you'll know that good deals are there if you work it correctly with your account team and their sales cycle.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Get them all opened via Okta!

Reviewed on 2021/03/25

Great for managing multiple log-ins to different apps, you only need to remember one password and you should be all set with this secured platform!

Pros

Ever since 2016 I've been using Okta as a way to sign in to different apps our company use. And since I only need to remember the password I have for Okta, it makes managing the other apps easier. I don't have to remember the passwords for all of the other apps. I can also ask Okta to generate and store the password for me when I am adding a new tile on the Okta dashboard.

Cons

It can sometimes be confusing if you are using a browser that has the password manager as well. It would probably make sense if the user can be asked which one he would use to manage his password, Okta or the browser's password manager.

Bryan G.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Okta is great for MFA

Reviewed on 2019/10/18

Overall Okta has been a very easy tool to adopt and use for the organization. It's been consistent and there haven't been any issues apparent to the end user since the rollout.

Pros

Okta is an extremely easy-to-use software for multi-factor authentication. It is extremely user-friendly from set up to ongoing use for any user with a smartphone. All they have to do is download the Okta app and follow very simple instructions to set up your Okta app with your token. Even switching phones is easy for those who get a new phone. The Okta push is consistent, fast, and reliable. For employees who do not have a smart phone or don't want to download the Okta app on their phone, there are alternatives like receiving a phone call.

Cons

The most challenging part of Okta is that it can only authenticate one account per browser session. If for some reason you have two accounts that each use Okta as the MFA, it makes the user experience a little tricky.

Kalaiselvan K.

Okta Review

Reviewed on 2019/07/07

Overall, i am very impressed with the Okta with its powerful security standard implementation.

Pros

Okta exposes its identity API in REST interface with JSON which provide both Authentication and Authorization based on the need.So it is easy to integrate with any type of application as a front end security layer .

OAuth 2.0 implementation by okta provide token which has a validity for some specific time avoid the overhead of making extra authentication call each time.

They give different sort of strong security implementation including single sign on for both Authentication and Authorization but licensing will vary based on the implementation we use in the application.

Time to integrate with any sort of application is very very less .

Cons

You need to understand okta documentation properly to integrate the appropriate security implementation.

we have to put some initial effort in understanding the API.