ManageEngine Desktop Central

Desktop, mobile device & patch management software

4,4
Akinlotan S.
Industry: Construction

Dynamics

Reviewed on 2020/05/23

ManageEngine Desktop Central comes in a handy when there is an expansion in my organization especially in terms of geo location. It helps us to be able to have a central control on all our device and to secure license for our keys software.

Pros

This software helps my organization to have remote access to our devices that are not in our HQ environs. It also helps to have a control on our basics software, thereby helping us to have a reasonable cost control in securing some of our utilities software.

Cons

Using USB and some other peripheral devices are somehow ambiguous.

Rajneesh B.
Industry: Computer Software

Heterogeneous End-point Management from a Unified Console

Reviewed on 2020/06/25

Easy to use UI, Online help and chat support, Great community support. Overall, quick to learn and easy Setup.

Pros

More control, Power to you, whilst deploying SW Deployment, OS Patching and even MDM, all can be achieved from a single console. Not to mention, OS Deployment & Imaging are offered free for all Workstation & Servers. Gartner listed, Awesome support very Proactive indeed.

Cons

None at all. Out-of-box product features have nothing to complaint about. We love everything that DesktopCentral UEM has to offer.

Abhishek D.
Industry: Oil & Energy
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Desktop Central-Useful tool for managing and troubleshooting IT resources

Reviewed on 2020/10/14

The product has resolved numerous issues that we have been facing, from remotely resolving desktop problems to managing inventory and licneses. This tool has been a very beneficial addition to our organization. The service levels to the users have also improved and license management and software control is implemented properly.

Pros

Has a wide level of functionality
Has integrated a lot of our needs
The technical team has thorough knowledge and understanding of the product
Price is very reasonable.

Cons

Had licensing issues initially
User interface is friendly, but can be better

Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Tries to do too many things

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

This product advertises a lot of features and functionalities that try to make the solution a one-stop shop for IT departments. Unfortunately none of the features work well or work at all. When compared with other patching solutions, software deployment solutions and help desk toolsets, it falls flat on its face and does not meet the demands of an enterprise sized organization. Support staff is foreign based and can be very difficult working against the language barriers or trying to explain the problem even though they appear to be trying to help.

Pros

Useful dashboard for inventory of hardware and software.

Cons

Patching is extremely complicated compared to competitors.
Agents deployed to endpoints consume large amount of CPU and RAM.
Customer support is a small team with most tickets taking 3 days minimum. Every case starts with uploading logs.
Product patches are being released constantly to fix the large number of bugs in software.
Bandwidth management for remote offices does not function well and will easily consume an entire circuit. If this happens it is difficult to stop the traffic until the action has completed. Small mistakes can have big consequences when configuring deployments.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're glad you like our intuitive dashboard for hardware and software inventory.

We're sorry about your unpleasant experience with the product. Our patching today has transcended and become a lot more seamless with the introduction of automated patch deployment tasks, wherein every stage of the patch cycle is automated. We've grown as a team, and currently we have quite a lot of support technicians who can resolve your issues in a jiffy. Our product upgrades are no longer about issue fixes, rather we're releasing top-notch features - requested by our customers, and the ones that meet market standards.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to write to us at [email protected]

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Anurag K.
Industry: Computer Games

Works perfectly for me to manage and monitor several devices

Reviewed on 2020/08/24

Being a Game Developer and Digital Media Producer, I always need a solution to perfectly control and manage all of my desktop and mobile devices and Desktop Central is what I really found as an intuitive and innovative solution to do it. I can easily operate my devices, monitor their usage, install system updates, manage installation of softwares, share files within the systems etc very easily from a single device just because of Desktop Central which is far better when compared to its competitors. Desktop Central allows me to run its application even on my 32-bit system. It also has a mobile application which works smoothly.

Pros

There are several things I loved about Desktop Central like the ability to automate the patching of OS, automatic scanning and installation of latest service packs for OS, imaging of OS to protect my devices from security vulnerabilities. It also allows me to install and uninstall necessary softwares remotely with many of its useful features and built-in templates. A few more useful features are also there including Power management to switch the devices On or Off remotely and to get reports of device's Up-time( to know from how many hours they are turned On). One of the best things about Desktop Central is that they provide me the ability to control all of my devices even from my Mobile Phone, there mobile application is well optimized and works perfectly fine. I can also set my computers and other devices to be used by specific Users and for specific roles by granting them limited access to the device's features and functions. My workflow increases when I can easily transfer files, shoot and record photos and videos from all of my devices using a Single device because of Remote sharing feature of Desktop Central. They provide a One month free trial with all of their features, so that one can easily understand and get used to with their application.

Cons

The only thing I would like to say to Manageengine is that they should fix the pricing for Desktop Central, a small organization or a small firm can't easily afford this much expensive solution for them. Though, I think Desktop Central already offers to get a price Quote to their customers according to their need.

Kapil U.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

A unified endpoint management solution for omnichannel users for managing various s/w implementation

Reviewed on 2020/05/08

The ease of software deployment has been a cake walk. It has reduced the time efficiency by leaps and bounds. The performance of the software is a huge plus point

Pros

Ease of deploying the software to multiple devices with in minutes have saved cost, time and manpower for the organization

Cons

Customizing the dashboard and reports control could have been more user friendly.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Kapil,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're glad that you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central. We hope our product has helped you with securing and managing your endpoints.

We're happy to know that software deployment has been a walk in the park for your organization by using our product. We hope you've tried other features as well. If you require further assistance with the product features, do write to us at [email protected]

Girish B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Best In the business-Desktop Management

Reviewed on 2020/02/11

Helped to be compliant at audit level & maintain the inventory details.

Pros

Ability to patch all the applications used over the organizations, Software Deployment with Self Service Portal for users,Security Policies & USB Management for security purpose & Most liked feature is Inventory module.

Cons

The Agent communication period of 90 Minutes.

Faizhal K.
Industry: E-Learning

Senior system administrator

Reviewed on 2020/02/24

Beneficial

Pros

Easy to use and have control over my end user system now

Cons

Need to include more features to control

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Desk Central

Reviewed on 2020/07/24

It's almost all positive. It allows me to stay of top of all software patching, both Windows and 3rd-party. That's the single largest benefit. But in addition it allows quickly implement group policy-like configurations, effectively block thumb drives, reboot all machines on a set schedule, view a complete inventory of all hardware and software, search for specific software that's installed, implement quick changes to all machines when needed, like registry ones, and many others.

Pros

This product was easy for me to implement several years ago. Whenever I have problems, it's very easy to contact their support team and when i do they are very responsive. If a feature isn't there that I'd like to have, they also make a serious effort to see it implemented in the future. For what it does, it's very cost-effective and an extremely beneficial tool to have at my disposal as the lead tech in our organization. If it wasn't available I feel it would be extremely difficult to replace with anything product anywhere near its price range, and I'd likely lose features as well.

Cons

No product is perfect, and there's a few features I'd like to have added, but at least they make an honest effort to hear my concerns whenever i have them. I really can't think of much of anything else that I'd criticize them for, and I'm very happy with it.

Carolina R.
Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Excellent alternative to remotely manage your end devices

Reviewed on 2020/10/24

It facilitates the administration of the daily use devices of our work team, the content control, the security updates are done from the same place and in a fairly fast way and most importantly remotely.

Pros

The tool provides a wide range of functions, of which I highlight the device administration policies (application installation restrictions, password protection) guaranteeing the control and security of the private information contained in said devices.

Cons

Despite the ease of implementation and use of the tool, perhaps one point to keep in mind is that it is more intuitive.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Dale S.
Industry: Warehousing

MEDC is an important tool for us.

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

Patching is a breeze. RDP has saved me a lot of headaches since I don't always remember the FQDN of every machine in the building. Helps let me know if systems are down. Overall its a tool I cant live without at this point.

Pros

Inventory features. Makes it really easy to see what PC's are running and who is using them. Login history, Windows patching, software inventories, warranty information (except for HP) and a great built in RDP feature. This software makes life a LOT easier. Its pricing is pretty competitive for everything it offers. We have stuck with it for almost 3 years and don't plan to switch away unless there is a drastic change in its price or functionality. So far I would give it a solid 9.5/10.

Cons

When you hit your license limit, if you don't realize it, and you do another installation, removing the license from an unused computer doesn't activate the one you were initially trying to activate. Often requiring you to jump through a little bit of hoops to get it going. Always make sure you have a free license prior to the install. The only other thing I would truly consider a con is some of the features are more buried then they should be, and its not always immediately obvious where your going to find what you are looking for. Once you have used it for a while, you get used to it though and its a non-issue.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Dale,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're delighted that you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central and the fact that it has been making your job seamless for the past three years. We hope our product has aced in helping you with endpoint security and management.

We are working towards creating better visibility in terms of the user interface. If you require further assistance with the product UI, do write to us at [email protected]

Industry: Law Practice

Comprehensive Desktop Management Solution

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

ManageEngine Desktop Central has helped us improve our overall technical and operational support to staff and further, helped consolidate software and resources.

Pros

ManageEngine Desktop Central is a robust set of tools that allow s you to deploy, automate, and support your end user's device with a simple to manage interface. Before using ManageEngine my team used a wide variety of tools and a lot of 'hands-on' involvement to maintain our diverse set of end-user equipment, but, with Desktop Central we are able to deploy images, software, manage patches, set security policies, and provide remote support all from one central location.

Cons

The setup can be a little overwhelming at first due to all of the configuration and features. While the support team was good and very friendly, it would be better if there is more standardized KBs and how-to videos to help support some of the advanced functions.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're glad that you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central. We hope our product has aced in helping you with endpoint security and management, thereby replacing the multiple tools that you've had to use in the past.

We are working on standardizing the knowledge base articles and how-to videos. If you require further assistance, do write to us at [email protected]

Philipp M.
Industry: Civil Engineering

Excellent product! Compared to other ME products also very few bugs. Support should be improved.

Reviewed on 2017/12/07

Huge time savings in supporting our end users!

Pros

- stable
- ease of use
- value for Money is excellent!!!
- covers (almost) all our endpoint management Needs
- steady improvement in functionality

Cons

Technical Support should be improved! The technicians seem very knowledgeable! Anyhow, I miss the personal contact to the Support engineers. I don't like how, in a Support session, the technician connects to my PC and starts clicking around and Chat through Notepad. Any other vendor's Support technician would give me a call and stay on the phone while Troubleshooting Problems. It's a great way to learn about the product for me, and for the technician it may also be usefull as I may help the technician by providing Details more easely. I think that it would improve the Support process drastically. I really dislike the way Support works at the Moment!

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Philipp,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're glad you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central. We hope our product has aced in helping you with endpoint management and security.

Thank you for your feedback on our support, and we're happy to keep you informed that our support team today is not what it used to be three years back. We've worked on inflating every intricate detail with our customer service. If you require further assistance with the product, do write to us at [email protected]

Aaron W.
Industry: Publishing

So many useful features that you don't get with a normal Windows Domain controller

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

We use Desktop Central as it offers so many extra features, as I mentioned in my first paragraph. These features are really useful and save so much time.

Pros

There are so many useful features in Desktop Central. My favourite features are:
- Being able to remotely wake up and shut down computers
- Inventory history showing hardware changes
- Reports of which user logged onto which computers, which really helps find who works at which desk

Cons

The updating routine for getting the latest version of Desktop Central is very tedious, requiring a backup, shut down, downloading a file, and then manually running a patch installer. I would like to see an automatic updater, but perhaps it is for those who are very strict about software installations.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Aaron,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

Thank you for letting us know your pain point in upgrading Desktop Central. Your feedback will be passed on to the development team. If you require further assistance with the product, do write to us at [email protected]

Industry: Insurance

Desktop Central: Tech Perspective

Reviewed on 2019/10/28

Overall it is a good product and accomplishes our purposes.

Pros

This software is really good shut the price and features it comes with. Replaces a lot of tools we have had to mismatch and put together all in one.

Cons

The user interface and language of the site is somewhat confusing and not intuitive. They have a log guides that help. Just not as intuitive as I had hoped.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're glad you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central and it's unified approach. We hope our product has helped you with securing and managing all your endpoints, thereby replacing multiple tools that you've had to use in the past.

If you require further assistance with the user interface, do write to us at [email protected]

Archna S.
Industry: Media Production
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Desktop Central offers the best features to manage multiple devices from a Central device.

Reviewed on 2020/08/23

Our organization is using Desktop Central to manage all of our devices including devices with Windows and Mac OS, Android and iOS devices from a single Device. Desktop Central has allowed us to give the Power of controlling all the devices to a Single Central Device which can be operated by Senior IT managers. We can manage Software installation, patching and deployment with ease. We can also monitor who is using what device and when, means we can easily monitor our devices using Desktop Central.
The pricing perfectly fits our need, also we can get Quote to best explain our requirements and get an even perfect subscription from them.
They also provide a 30 day trial to effectively understand and evaluate the complete product.

Pros

Desktop Central offers a lot of features to effectively manage several devices anytime from single Central Device. Some of the most helpful features are Turn On/Off the controlled devices, Operating System patch management, installation and deployment of Softwares, file transfer using Remote Sharing etc.
Desktop Central allows patching, imaging and deploying of OS, which helps a lot in keeping all the devices safe from known/unknown Security threats by remote upgradation. Desktop Central also allows us to monitor several things like Login History, Software and Hardware Changes etc which helps our organization a lot in monitoring the use of our devices. Overall, we can have full control over all of our devices easily and effectively from a single Central Powered Device anytime.

Cons

A few things I think should be improved with Desktop Central is their Customer Support Service. Recently, some people from our organization were having trouble with Desktop Central but the Customer Support team was not effectively helping them out. Though, the problem has now been solved because we went through their Guides and Documentations and figured out how to fix things up.

Wilson C.
Industry: Hospitality

Very important and useful automation tool for IT.

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

It automates a lot of things that takes time to manually do it. In simple words, it saved enormous time, energy, money and definitely increase productivity.

Pros

Ease of use, available feature to monitor status of specific computer desktop, server and laptop. As part of my job, to ensure 100% software patches are applied and monitored this application is very important to me or must have.

Cons

Poor support, raised a simple recurring issue (which suddenly occured) but no sulotion even remotely checked and provided the logs but still no clear guidance on how to correct. We have software patches for some reason cannot be distributed to computer desktops. We can manully download from the server and iinstall manually with no issue.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Wilson,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

Thank you for your feedback on our support and we're happy to inform you that our support has scaled up to deliver top-notch customer service. If you require further assistance with the product, do write to us at [email protected]

Barry C.

Great overall product, has completely changed how we deploy and manage our software.

Reviewed on 2018/01/11

The biggest benefit for us was the software deployment piece, ve were previously deploying through GPO

Pros

Software deployment is great and Simple to use, the software portal has really decreased the amount of IT tickets we receive in relation to software requests. The tools are also very useful, we have setup reboot polices to force updates to install and set up remote control so we don't need to run around the building. We found the patch management module easy and quicker to use than WSUS and the reports are also more specific.

Cons

No software portal for mac. License management is tricky to use as it is based on the product and version, some software has multiple versions depending on install date so can be hard to track.
Would like to see better reporting in regards to USB device management particularly for drives

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Barry,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're glad you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central and its software deployment capabilities, in particular. We hope our product has aced in helping you with endpoint management and security.

We're happy to let you know that self-service portal is now available for macOS users as well. Also, software licenses for different versions can be managed. And, we've enhanced our reporting with respect to USB devices. If you require further assistance with the product features, do write to us at [email protected]

Michael A.
Industry: Publishing

Free to use for up to 25 computers - A really good time saving tool

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

We have been using ManageEngine Desktop Central for a few years, and are still on the free tier that allows up to 25 computers to be managed. The primary purpose we had for installing it was to make sure all our computers have the latest Windows Updates installed. This is important to keep all our computers secure. It has been working well and I would recommend anyone with an office to use this software.

Pros

What I like most about ManageEngine Desktop Central is that it scans all our Windows computers on our network, and checks and reports on which computers require Windows Updates.

Cons

Sometimes the Windows Server component of ManageEngine Desktop Central does not start up on boot, and has to be started manually. It means after a reboot of the server, sometimes we do not notice the ManageEngine Desktop Central server hasn't started up and we do not receive reports for a few days.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Michael,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

To ensure that the Desktop Central server is up and running after every system boot/reboot, you'll have to enable an option under the 'Product server settings' to 'Start Desktop Central automatically on machine bootup'. If you require further assistance with the server and client startup, do write to us at [email protected]

Timothy G.

Positive overall

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Better control of our desktop/endpoint environment for support, patches, and configuration pushes... all at a fair price.

Pros

Clean interface. Easy to find most information. Some nice tools included, would like to see more tools like remote registry viewer.

Cons

Help file is a bit limited. Online KBs and forums are average to OK. Support for non-critical items is responsive enough. Worried that "live" support for emergency items (i.e. DC is not starting, database problem, problem during upgrade, etc.) is not easily available via phone (I have not had to contact support about a critical issue to date).

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Timothy,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We've relentlessly worked on extensive help documents and knowledge base articles that might help you. If you require further assistance with the product, do write to us at [email protected]

Philippe M.
Industry: Financial Services

Good alternative to SCCM with complete features

Reviewed on 2018/04/27

All in one management system. Easy to setup and interesting cost

Pros

Easy installation on premiss , a little less on Azure. Templates are available if needed. Many option ad cool feature from distribution of software to remote control. Managine MDM , server and workstation is very easy once setup.

Cons

No integration with Azure Active directory, still base on Active directory setup for the workstation? Management little tricky with on a cloud based domain. Groupe poicies and update management not easy to remove.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Philippe,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We are working on the integration with Azure Active Directory and please be informed that Desktop Central instance is available on Azure marketplace. If you require further assistance with the product features, do write to us at [email protected]

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

The right tool for the job

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

You really only are as good as the tools you have available. This is one of the best tools to manage hardware, software, and end users as well as troubleshooting systems. It makes my job much easier than other tools I have used in the past!

Pros

- Ease of use
- Remote support capabilities
- Asset management functionality
- Integration with Service Desk Plus
- Overall information available
- Automated patch deployment and management

Cons

A lot to take in at first. It's very feature rich which can be somewhat intimidating at first. It almost seems like some of the functionality could be simplified somewhat.

Response from ManageEngine

Hello,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're glad you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central. We hope our product has aced in helping you automate endpoint management and security, thereby replacing the multiple tools you've had to use in the past.

Brian M.

ManageEngine DC is an easy to use patch management and computer administration suite.

Reviewed on 2017/12/12

Pros

ManageEngine was easy to install and update. It's easy to use, feature rich and has a good support as well as an online community and knowledge base. Patching info is current and addresses specific exploits and patches. Program contains tutorial links for training of specific features from within application as well as links to request support, chat with a rep and feature requests.

Cons

Support staff is polite and knowledgeable but can be a little slow to respond during ongoing correspondences

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Brian,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're glad you like the multifariousness of Desktop Central and our patch management capabilities, in particular. We hope our product has aced in helping you with endpoint management and security.

Julian H.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

I like it

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Update and Secure PC, and make my life easier troubleshooting the computers

Pros

Control of overall environment, from patch management to deploy OS, this is a good service I can see all the computer on my network and security them installing the patches and also see what user name is using the pc

Cons

not much friendly to use, I can see many options around if you find a better way to make this friendly and easy to use this product is going to be the best

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Julian,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We've worked on our product's user interface to create better visibility and aid in seamless navigation. If you require further assistance with the product, do write to us at [email protected]

Hakan A.
Industry: Insurance
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Practical solution for windows updates and software deploy

Reviewed on 2020/01/21

Pros

ready-made templates provide convenience
easy to understand interface
software installations are pretty fast
ready reports handy
remote restart or remote connection features are fine

Cons

dashboard cannot be changed
screen transitions are slow
filters are not useful

Response from ManageEngine

Hello Hakan,

Greetings from ManageEngine!

We're sorry about the unpleasant experience you've had with our dashboard, and filters. Will get this feedback shared across. In the meanwhile, kindly elaborate on the issues that you've been facing with our filters, and your expectations out of an intuitive dashboard.