Pivotal Tracker

Agile project management tool for developers

4,3
4,1
4,2
3,9
4,1
Tigran H.

Pivotal Tracker Review

Reviewed on 2020/03/12

Overall this the best software for little teams and for startups to start flow from scratch.

Pros

Pivotal is one the simplest agile management tool I've used. The flow is simple there, Icebox , current iteration and done. and also states are simple started, finished, delivered and accepted. unlike Jira this more simple to use and has very humble UX for users. It has all major integration with github, slack so it's the best option for little projects and startups for managing software flow.

Cons

Using this already 4 years I could mention a little cons that I've remember. One of them that when you do update on story description it does not emit any notification, you should tag someone under comment section that description is updated please take a look ore something. Another thing the mobile app on old IOS version working very slow and sometimes crashes.

Alexis D.
Industry: Computer Software

Nice-looking app to help keep agile teams organized

Reviewed on 2018/11/22

Our team is able to stay on track with work in a sprint and spend less time chatting on Slack about story progress, and do all the communication within PivotalTracker. Overall, this has kept our team organized and accountable.

Pros

It has a really easy-to-use, friendly design that makes it simple to track progress of stories, keep things organized in projects and move items around when priorities shift. Stories provide a level of detail that helps keep teams aware of progress. They recently introduced customizable story templates, which have been great for making sure our bug tickets have the level of detail we expect on our team. I would highly recommend Pivotal Tracker for agile teams looking to keep organized.

Cons

I wish there was more customization in the app. Some of the stages of a story don't particularly fit within our team's workflow, and the agile approach of velocity and estimates don't currently apply to us, but seem to still determine where our stories fit in a sprint. It would also be nice if the app brought more of a product management approach into it's design - currently, our list just ends up looking like a large parking lot of features, and we end up doing a lot of dragging and dropping to put things in order. It would be great to show that these things are tied to particular product goals.

Bryce B.

Great for Scrum

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/10/15

Pivotal Tracker is the right tool for the job when building software (or similar) using a Scrum or Scrum-like approach. I definitely would recommend using Pivotal Tracker for anyone doing so.

Pros

I really like how well Pivotal Tracker made following a scrum approach when developing software. Assuming one is already familiar with Scrum, creating a backlog by writing user stories, and then grooming them into the current sprint was fantastic. I also really appreciated the sprint analysis.

Cons

It's rather scrum focused, by nature. When we started adapting different agile practices, we didn't want to limit ourselves to just doing scrum. In that way, Pivotal Tracker lacked a bit and we started using Trello instead.

Lindsey S.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Easy to Use for Small and Large Scale Projects!

Reviewed on 2016/02/03
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Pivotal Tracker is very easy to use, but you are able to get granular with projects if you need to. Basically, it works for small scale and large scale projects. The software is very organized which contributes to its ease of use.

If you manage or create multiple projects with the same structure, team members, or stories, you are easily able to create a template that can be uploaded each time you create a new project. This greatly reduces the time it takes to setup projects within the software if your company manages a high volume of similar projects.

The best aspect of the software is you are able to give point values to stories so you can track project velocity and estimate time until completion.

Cons

If you work on multiple projects at once, it can be difficult to view all stories you own across all projects. You will have to manual setup a multi-project workspace in order to see all stories that you own. If a new project gets created, you must manually add it to the workspace. This is the products biggest downfall in my opinion.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

For the scrum teams around

Reviewed on 2020/10/10

I use it on the daily with my team. It has been amazing so far and I havent had any complains with it.

Pros

This tool is nicer to use because it has alot of very clear cut usages. It makes it easier for you to clearly mark out which feature belongs to where. Which feature belongs to which release. Devs have a good time managing their tasks here. Adding blockers to other features is easy. The UI is not confusing and that makes for a more productive time.

Cons

The UI feels abit dated in terms of styling. The placement of all the buttons and links makes sense, just that the styling feels abit dated.

Connie C.

Pivotal Tracker

Reviewed on 2020/03/30

This product saves time by allowing each person to be able to have a place to track work; and allows management to track work by department or application. It is a great product.

Pros

Pivotal allows us to create a story for a specific Fresh Desk ticket or just a stand alone story for specific projects, tasks, issues. You can add tasks for each pivotal story and check them off as completed. This helps our management be able to check on a particular story/ticket if a customer inquires about the status. We have several story boards for different parts of the company and individuals are added to each of the story boards that they need to be on. This departmentalizes stories so everyone doesn't have to wade thru stories to see what they may need to take on. This has been a great way to manage tasks of everyone instead of each person trying to keep up by using notes on things they are working on. It saves a lot of time.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say. If we run across an issue or need a new feature or similar, they have been very responsive to meet our needs.

Kerry B.
Industry: Newspapers

Couldn't wait to switch to another platform

Reviewed on 2019/05/02

Pros

Pivotal Tracker actually does most of what you need to track projects, or stories for sprints for a scrum team, which is what I used it for. You can write stories and add images and links to them, and assign things to people and change the status of each story as it goes through your process. However, (see Cons section)...

Cons

Pivotal does not use lanes for workflow. You get one lane, and stories can move up and down it vertically until they are done, and then they finally get to jump out to another lane. But the vertical workflow instead of horizontal is extremely non-intuitive. In fact, I found the entire software platform to be highly non-intuitive in general. I'm pretty savvy with learning new products, and it still took two weeks and multiple trainings for me to feel like I had a grasp of what I was doing. Furthermore, they only have 4 fixed statuses, so if those don't match your process well then you are stuck putting tags on all your stories to keep track of where they are in your process. It's doable, but very annoying.

In addition, PivotalTracker looks like no one has done any development work on it since the year 2000. The interface is old and outdated, and challenging to wrap your head around. My company was using it when I started working here, and fortunately they switched to ClubHouse about 3 months after I started. What a glorious transition! It took me half a day to learn ClubHouse and it is so much cleaner and intuitive to work with. I believe shortly before we transitioned that Pivotal was actually starting to roll out some improvements to their platform, so maybe it's better now. But in my opinion they probably should have started thinking about that about 5 years earlier.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Industry: Restaurants

Good at making lists

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Overall, Pivotal Tracker serves the purpose of having a list of action items to discuss when on a conference call and to make obvious whose "court" the ball is in. I just wish there were ways to add other file types easily and to set up alert systems to make sure projects stay on a timeline.

Pros

Pivotal Tracker is a way for several off-site people working on the same project to stay in touch with the list of action items and obviously check them off when they are complete. What I like most is the visual of who is in charge of an item, when it was assigned, and when it is complete.

Cons

I feel Pivotal tracker doesn't do a great job of prompting people to complete their tasks. I wish there were features that would send an alert/message to the owner of tasks that are past due.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Joshua K.
Industry: Hospitality

From a developer standpoint, it's straightforward.

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

This is preferable to merely listing what you are working on in a dev environment, though it's not as in-depth as jira.

Pros

I enjoy very much the ability to clearly list what may be blocking my progress, as well as being able to clearly list out the stages of any project that I'm working on.

Cons

I've found the marking of projects as started, finished, and accepted to be unclear. The menus are not as easily understood when getting past the basics of starting and ending a project.

Brandon C.
Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Pivotal Tracker - BPC

Reviewed on 2020/10/14

Pros

I like Pivotal Trackers ease of work assignment and description fields. Coming out of college, it was intuitive what work needed to be done using this tool.

Cons

I found that finding tickets once they were complete or lost in the backlog to be difficult.

Megan K.
Industry: Graphic Design

Smooth Agile Tool for Startups

Reviewed on 2016/02/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I liked that the contents of the dashboard is customizable for every member of the team who all had different roles. For instance, as a web developer I constantly kept my eyes on "My Work", "Current", and "BackLog" as I liked to track my tasks as well as what others in the team had in progress. On the other hand, the Project Manager had "Charts" and "Epics" opened as he wanted to track the velocity of the team. Aside from the customizable element, the dashboard was easy to edit as changes to an existing story as well as creating new ones could be accomplished in one tab/window without moving onto a new page. Because everything could be tracked with a one page view, it provided a good summary of what everyone was up to as well as nice way to track individual tasks.

Cons

For a larger team I feel that it would be difficult to keep the dashboard maintain the nice clean look. As a developer that used Pivotal Tracker in a startup accelerator, every project I worked on was for a different company and each team had about 4 to 7 people (which was a good size for collective Pivotal Tracker usage). In a larger company, there could be larger sized teams which could potentially make the dashboard more cluttered and thus require a careful categorization of their projects for later review. Although I personally did not have to face this scenario often I could see it being a bit of an issue if my team and company was that of larger scale.

Nic H.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Tracker is an easy to use, constantly evolving, task management tool.

Reviewed on 2017/07/19

Pros

Tracker is great value for the cost!

Having visibility into which task is next in the queue and easily adjusting task priority when demands change is really helpful. The description and comment sections are great to keep topics and discussions related to specific tasks all in one place. Being able to use markdown to format text is also really helpful and provides a lot of flexibility.

I've been using Tracker for over 2 years now, and it has been great to see the product evolve. There are always new and thoughtful updates to the software which are both helpful and don't require you to relearn features or re-acclimate yourself to the tool.

Outside of the tool itself, the Tracker community and blog are great resources for best practices as well as learning about how other organizations are leveraging this tool.

Cons

For smaller teams and projects, the point estimate feature and much of the in-depth analytics hasn't been that helpful for us in terms of making actionable decisions. With that said, for the right project and for large teams with many collaborators, I can see how these tools could be useful.

Ashish A.
Industry: Computer Software

Very simple and easy to understand project management tool

Reviewed on 2018/01/15

Pros

Pivotal tracker is very lightweight project management tool with easy to understand user interface and contains most of all types of feature of advanced project management tool. We are using pivotal tracker in one of our recruitment management software to track the progress of software. We have been using this software for more than 3 years now buy so far It is free of cost as we are using public project that is free of cost. It provides all basic feature of agile process like releases , epic, stories and issue tracking. Best thing is it can be managed on a single page.

Cons

Pivotal tracker doesn't support estimation of tasks in hours as supported by JIRA .Pivotal Tracker doesn't provide more formal method of agile process like sub-task estimation, sub-task life cycle, test case creation, work log, sub-task assignment, complex reports, custom task lifecyele.
Pivotal tracker has a poor pricing structure and only be used in agile projects. Mobile app need improvement.

Brian H.

Bugs be gone

Reviewed on 2019/06/20

It was great for us for 5+ years. We are moving away from it to move into Visual Studio Team Services since our Dev Team already uses it, we are trying to centralize everything. We will likely continue paying for Pivotal for another year at least jsut for a backup of our data, as we do not plan to migrate everything to VSTS.

Pros

It is a great software for our QA/Support/Dev Teams to create a workflow and centralized database containing all of our bugs, enhancement requests, etc. Clients report bugs to us, I submit the bug info into PT, add relevant Dev members, it gets prioritzied by our QA/Dev Managers, comments and details are added, and it is followed through the steps until it is resolved and closed.

Cons

There is not a whole lot we have to complain about. It did its purpose for us, and we rarely ran into bugs or issues with the software. The only "issues" that came up were our own fault of leaving old items in there, adding duplicates, and letting it get a little cluttered.

Great tool to manage projects and time

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

For the most part, internally, this has replaced email. We also use this to manage all company goals and initiatives, bug fixes, new features on the website, etc.

It also allows us all to see the pipeline of new initiatives and allow someone who might be the best person to work on a specific project take ownership of it

Pros

Having multiple projects going in multiple different areas of the company ( sales, marketing, development, etc) is very easy to track and to properly manage all the different projects going on in the company

Cons

While there are some organization with tagging user stories and creating epics, it would be nice if there was a way to order all stories in a filtered way. The issue we are running into is that we have many different projects, some of which are related to each other, but are randomly organized by the tag; rather than the date created or the priority.

Christopher K.
Industry: Entertainment

The - Project Management tool for Software Development Teams

Reviewed on 2017/02/01

Been using tracker for a few years now. Its continually improved, but also kept a baseline of core functionality thats remained fairly static. It achieves its purpose, and doesn't throw in a lot of bells and whistles. Project / feature / story pipeline management core to storing information about past bugs, assets, ideas, implementations. Its served as alternative documentation to many of our projects. When consistently used, can be a very effective management tool for software proejcts.

Pros

Its made FOR & By software devs.

Cons

Its a bit clunky with lots of tabs open. Some light UX simplification could help. Also more markdown options ( or a bit clearer docs ) on how to write more formatted descriptions for stories & comments.

Ivan C.

Pivotal Helps Keep your Team Organized

Reviewed on 2016/11/16

We have been using Pivotal Tracker for several years now and it has quite a few features that keep our development team organized. We don't use the layers that predict how long feature will take those elements tend to require some programming knowledge and since I manage the system it's hard for me to assign point values to those. But I expect that adds a few more layers of functionality. Just the basic of being able to create a development ticket, assign it to a developer, tag the designer in comments so he gets inquiries, and use the approval process is a game changer in terms of staying organized. Everyone can tap into Pivotal Tracker and know exactly what their game plan is for the day.

Pros

assigning tickets to team mates, tagging them in notes so they get a notification, and the approval process.

Cons

estimating tickets seems a little hard to predict as a non developer..

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Pivotal Tracker is our daily agile management tool at a tech startup.

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Pros

Pivotal Tracker does a good job for agile product teams, allowing cadence and 2-week sprints to be easily organized. Stories can be sorted by labels, epics, or workplaces (these can include stories across multiple projects/labels/and assigned team members).

Cons

Pivotal Track is difficult when using it for a product team with lots of different project boards (i.e. Design, IOS, Android, Backend). It's hard to keep track of what you are assigned to across different projects. When someone comments you on a story, you receive an email notification, but there is no other way to keep track of outstanding questions or needs without going back through all of your read emails.

Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

I use this as a Software Engineer on a scrum team daily, and enjoy the process it enforces.

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

Pros

I like the interface of being able to drag and drop/re-order anything. Customization is very high, being able to tag/re-name/add new categories to suit whatever project you may be working on. I like the 'blocker' feature that you can add to stories, as well as the fact that the stories support markdown. There are a ton of integrations with GitHub and Slack that help us stay on top of our projects.

Cons

The one thing that can feel disorganized is keeping track of who is working on what. I'm on a large team, and it's easy to feel like there is too much going on. However, there's a feature that you can use to filter and show only what work you're attached to.

Greg N.
Industry: Farming

We use Pivotal Tracker for s/w development task management, and some project tracking.

Reviewed on 2018/06/07

Solid task management and project management features, with good 3rd-party integrations.

Pros

It's quite easy to use, and has good 3rd-party integrations (such as with Slack and with Github). It allows a good level of detail within each task item, and the app updates nicely on they fly when several people are editing the tasks at the same time.

Cons

I don't think I've noticed many; perhaps it could allow more customization of task attributes, or Sprint/Project details -- but I don't think we've been limited by that at all.

Diego C.
Industry: Market Research

Proper SCRUM tool

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

I've been using PT since many years without a problem.
It's so simple to use that there is basically no learning curve, while actually everyone on the team can do his job effectively and it's also so simple to track the progress of the project.

Pros

Pivotal Tracker (PT) has this incredible simplicity that makes it unique in his usability.
It's kind of an example of how to do things and I always mention it when I need an example of effectiveness and simplicity.

Cons

Actually nothing, except that sometimes simplicity comes with a cost.

This is how we keep our team organized. With many projects and 2 continents - this makes it work.

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

The ability to go back and review previous projects so that we have a precedent established for future ones with ease helps tremendously.

Pros

The organization factor is huge with this! We are able to be organized as a whole company while allowing teams to work together and collaborate regardless of where they are located.

Cons

The email alerts do not always come in a significant amount of time necessary to move the project along. Luckily, we have a slack channel where we all communicate and collaborate as well.

Mehak A.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Most eligible tracker tool for an agile software development team.

Reviewed on 2019/12/28

Pivotal was the best tool that I could have used for the project I was working on, the project was being built in agile structure with stories and there had to be detailed time logging which is the strength of pivotal tracker.

Pros

The structure of the tools helps to manage and track agile development cycles, the work is presented as stories that can be estimated and the work done on them can be tracked. The best addon provided is the velocity calculation for the sprint.

Cons

One of the major drawback with pivotal is that it is tailor-made for agile development, and there is very little room for customization which can lead to you using or paying for some not required feature.

Industry: Information Services

Excellent Software Development tracking tool

Reviewed on 2017/12/12

time saving
better planning
better tracking and audit
knowledge and asset building
better outcomes

Pros

Epics, Stories, Bugs, Tasks, Features
Dependency
Google Drive integration
Ability to apply tasks in a story and add notes and links to each

Cons

Forcing an agile model into a project that does not need it
We use a hybrid method and the fixation on Agile gets in the way of resource planning
Lack of ability to plan resources by story or task based on estimates for each person involved

Industry: Marketing & Advertising
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great tool for agile teams

Reviewed on 2019/09/06

Excellent tool for keeping all team members focused on the backlog and it's easy to keep the backlog prioritized.

Pros

The best thing about Pivotal Tracker is how easy it is to keep everyone on the team focused. It's got a simple, no frills interface and easy to prioritize and update tickets.

Cons

While its generally on par with other agile project management tools, I find Pivotal tracker a little lacking feature wise compared to others like JIRA.