CARET Legal

Legal software solution that creates space for what matters

• Industry: Legal Services

Great now, but with room to grow even greater.

Reviewed on 2017/11/21

Pros

The website and app are easy to use, responsive and have a fairly logical layout. It's easy to search and find information, and data input is relatively simple. Our office doesn't use Zola as an all-in-one solution, but for the parts we use daily (which is still most of the features), we're very happy with the state of the software.

Customer service has been incredibly responsive, and you really get the feel that they are willing to invest the time in problem solving. I also really feel like my input has been taken into account as product updates roll out.

The mobile app has improved by leaps and bounds. It is in an excellent place, and very usable.

Cons

There are still a few bugs and features to fill in gaps as the software matures further, but nothing that prevents functionality. I've been with Zola for about 18 months; what would have been my biggest cons 6 months ago have since been addressed.

The email interface requires the most work, but it too is nonetheless in a good state. Tagging emails to cases could be a little easier, and moving emails to different folders could be more responsive and update more quickly.

I'd also quibble about needing to use multiple tabs to get full functionality out of the software (at minimum, Dashboard, Email, and Calendar all need to be semi-permanently open because it's not easy to switch between them otherwise); That's not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance.

Last thing, and this is very minor: I'd love to see a style update through the whole website. It's not cluttered, which is great, but I don't feel like it has a very modern look.

Jack

Great Product

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Pros

Zola Suite has been super easy to use. Although they provided an onboarding specialist to walk me through the product, I didn't need the help. The product is very intuitive.

Cons

There isn't anything that I don't like about the platform. But if I have to include something, I wish the Zola email offering would allow opened emails to pop out in a separate window or tab, making it easier to copy/paste content from other emails or search other emails for content while the one email is open. Not at all a big deal though, and it's easy to work around.

Clio

Reasons for Switching to CARET Legal

It was easy to use, the client portal worked very easily, and it has a great CRM.

Response from CARET

Hi Jack! Thank you so much for your review. In regards to email, you can open it in a new window or tab by clicking on the icon that has an arrow pointing towards the top-right direction. You can also double-click inbound emails to open in a new window.

Alex
  • Industry: Legal Services

Unreliable and slow but easy to navigate and has many features.

Reviewed on 2023/04/14

Zola was acquired by another company a few months ago. It was rebranded into CaRET and turned into complete garbage - it simply doesn't work. Salespeople send messages trying to upsell their credit card processing services and new subscription plans. Email on desktop software or mobile app has not been working for over a week! Customer service is useless and sends generic messages asking to perform various steps - none of which work. They ruined a good practice management program. I will not renew and do not recommend anyone else who cares about their practice and profitability.

Pros

Easy to navigate and intuitive. Have lots of features and functions, such as bi-directional email integration, trust accounting, CRM, billing, time tracking, etc.

Cons

Overall, the program is very slow and takes time to perform most tasks. Limits the number of credit cards you can sync with your bank; limits the billing/bulk options under certain plans; accounting module is very basic and light ages behind QuickBooks; CRM lacks depth and functionality of other CRMs.

Response from CARET

Hi Alex. We're truly sorry to hear about your experience with CARET Legal. We'd love to help you with the issues you're facing regarding email, billing and accounting and overall performance. Please reach out to our support team at [email protected] and we'd be happy to speak with you further to resolve the issues you're experiencing.

Steven

Great Product for Solo

Reviewed on 2020/01/07

My overall experience has been very satisfactory. Customer service is excellent. When I have a question, I just type it into the help section and I receive either a phone call or email very promptly.

As a solo, this product is amazing and does so much. The ability to do accounting and generate basic reports, which is all that I need, is very convenient. There is so much more that it can do, and I learn something new every day.

Pros

Zola Suites has helped me to be able to capture the time sending emails and making phone calls that ordinarily would slip through the cracks. This product more than pays for itself

Cons

i wish that Contacts would automatically link to my contacts on my Iphone

Cleo Integration Cloud

Reasons for Switching to CARET Legal

The ability to do accounting under the same subscription makes this product more cost effective.
Ulrich
Ulrich
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great CARET Legal!

Reviewed on 2023/11/13

My experience with Caret Legal has been incredible. I've gained in promotion and efficiency thanks to all the features it offers. I manage my files efficiently, organize my documents and track my time. Everything is perfect with Caret Legal!

Pros

This software is just incredible. With Caret Legal, I manage my legal files brilliantly. Accounting, generating basic reports and time management are just some of the advantages this software offers me.

Cons

So far, I don't have much to complain about with Caret Legal.

Response from CARET

Hi, Ulrich. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with CARET Legal. We love hearing from happy customers like you!

Eric
Eric

The software is very intuitive making the transition from other software a snap

Reviewed on 2018/02/07

Pros

This software loads fast and is streamlined and instinctive. I am a former abacus user. It took me less than an hour to learn and master tasks in zolasuite that it took me months to figure out on abacus. In addition, the mobile app is huge if you are on the road. Even something as simple as being able to immediately create a timeslip for a phonecall you may have had with a client while waiting during a court recess is huge. It monetizes something you may as soon forget about when you return to the office. This means zolasuite could very well pay for itself based upon revenue you dont lose.

Cons

The migration from abacus was an issue. It occurred two weeks ago and what notes that are there are scrambled and attached to cases thet don't belong to. It may be worthwhile to handle this yourself.

Response from CARET

Eric, thank you so much for this very thorough (and flattering) review. Regarding migration of your Notes, I'm very sorry we missed the mark on that; we actually pride ourselves in performing highly accurate and thorough migrations.

I'm reaching out to you personally to make sure we get it right asap.

Fred Cohen, CEO

Jannine
  • Industry: Legal Services

All in one practice management software

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

Very responsive. Love the software.

Very responsive. Love the software.

Pros

Everything you need to run your practice on 1 platform. Integrated email allow one less software program and saving communications directly to client file.

Cons

Email can have glitches at times but the Zola team is constantly updating, fixing bugs and adding new features.

Love this software

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

Pros

My favorite thing about this software is being able to access every case and document from anywhere. I also love the way that emails can be attached to cases eliminating the need to search through emails every time I have to go back.

Cons

The only negative thing I have to say about this software is that I wish you could save attachments directly through Outlook. I find navigating outlook easier that the email associated with Zola and it would be nice to be able to save it directly into a file rather than saving it onto my desktop first.

Jeffrey
Jeffrey

Very user friendly

Reviewed on 2017/11/30

Pros

Ease of use, everything is all in one spot, great features, incorporates with my other software (i.e. - LawPay)

Cons

There are frequent updates to roll out new features. Although this is a good thing, things changing frequently in the software can sometimes slow down processing time.

Edward
Edward
  • Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use software that easily integrated my e-mail and calendar making billing and storing...

Reviewed on 2018/01/29

Pros

Intuitive interface; easily syncs with G Suite. I took a demo of all of the top practice management programs and ended up going with Zola. I found the software is the easiest to use and worked well with how I like to organize my files. Honestly, cannot say enough great things about my experience thus far.

Cons

I have only been using Zola for a short period of time and have not experienced any cons. If I had to select a Con, it would be the lack of form templates.

Response from CARET

Thank you for your fantastic review of Zola Suite, Edward. We want to make sure that you're aware that Zola Suite has document automation features and we provide unlimited complimentary training on how to use the form builder. We also will configure up to 3 routine documents for annual accounts. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our support team for more information.

Be wary

Reviewed on 2022/12/12

Not great. The case management side isn't bad but the "all in one"/accounting feature costs me TONS of hours every month to try to manage it and try to fix issues and I went backwards, not forward when making this purchase. So many features that I took for granted in other programs as "standard" are just not functionalities in Zola.

Pros

The ability to assign tasks to employees and to add opposing counsel or other connected parties to the client profile is very useful.

Cons

The accounting functionality and largely not functional. It is not a user training issue as the company has stated for others with similar issues. I have spoken to customer service and was told that there is nothing that can be done as the functionality does not exist. When billing, I bulk bill and then it provides a print out of who got billed and what the total is, but then it doesn't print a check. You have to then HAND WRITE (from the trust account!) an actual check to transfer the funds. Then when reconciling the account, there is no bull check (even though it calculates the total in the PDF) - you then have to find EVERY SINGLE transfer that was part of the bulk billing to check it off. And because the system didn't issue a check, and it was handwritten, the check doesn't appear in ZOLA, so you have to hope that you wrote on hte check stub what each check was for so that you can find the entries to reconcile. Same with payments made through APX. The system says that the client paid, but to actually put the money in your operating account, you again have to HAND WRITE (form the trust account!!) a check to transfer the fees paid. Then we have issues where the client paid through APX, the system said that they received the payment, but yet the payment doesnt' appear on the bank statement (meaning that Zola received the funds and the client was credited with the payment but never deposited it to the account (ie. firm never got paid). I can go on ....

Response from CARET

Thank you for your feedback. Our teams have prioritized the issues your firm has faced and we appreciate your patience as we work to resolve them. We look forward to continuing to work closely with you and your team to ensure the right level of productivity.

Andrew

The accountant's viewpoint.

Reviewed on 2022/05/19

Intuitive and easy to use. Easy to onboard a new user. Very accommodating of accountant users as well as non-accountant users.

Pros

The most outstanding features are the ease of customizing the Chart of Accounts and the ability to make journal entries. "Forms-based" software packages tend to force the users into vendor-by-vendor expense entries, whereas there is a need to be able to turn a bank statement and a credit card statement into journal entries which greatly streamlines entry and and ensures reconciliation. Zola allows use of both the forms-based approach and the journal entry approach.

Cons

I am desperate for a journal entry identifier. The thing I am trying to accomplish is being able to look up a transaction, not the j/e identifier and then look up the j/e to see both sides of the entry.

Response from CARET

Hi, Andrew. Thank you so much for providing your feedback on Zola Suite. We're thrilled to hear how Zola has helped your firm become paperless.

Regarding your note about journal entry identifiers, we have passed this request to our product team. Thank you for this recommendation.

Jim
Jim

Worst customer service experience

Reviewed on 2022/12/28

Zolasuite has been, by far, the WORST customer support experience I have had. I won't get in to the shortcomings of the software in too detail, but suffice it to say, the interface is very slow, the use of the software is clunky (try getting a doc e-signed and you will see what I mean, especially compared to the ease of use that I get with CLIO, who I will be staying with now), you either have to have a word press website or be a web design expert to connect the CRM part of the software to your website, the help articles are sparse and worthless, and even worse, there is "no current method to send out an invoice for a trust request" in this software. Ridiculous!Because of these shortcomings, and many more, I decided to end my subscription to the software. This has been a nightmare. There is no way to cancel online, the instructions tell you to do this, but when you get to the point of actually canceling online, the software instructs you to call them. I did this on December 12th. The person who answered the phone indicated that he could not cancel my account and it had to go to a different department.I finally get a call back, from some account rep, whose sole purpose was to talk me in to staying with zolasuite. I indicated to her that I was not interested and wanted my account canceled. Her tune changed after that and she told me she would check with the proper department to 'see what they could do". 2 weeks later no cancelation and still charged my card.

Pros

Pricing was decent. But afterwards, even pricing did not justify shortcomings in the software.

Cons

Functionality was limited. Interface was very slow. Many processes were not intuitive or easy.

Response from CARET

Jim, we're very sorry to hear about your experience working with CARET Legal. We pride ourselves on delivering white-glove support along with a robust platform and we're sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. We will be sure to pass along this feedback to our team and use it to continuously improve our services and our platform.

Andrew

Practice management that understands that this is a business I'm running

Reviewed on 2018/01/12

Pros

The two big things that Zola gets right are the accounting component and work flow for billing.
Before trying Zola, I tried manual spreadsheets, FreshBooks, Harvest, CaseOne, Clio, Xero, ebility, and probably some others. None of them got out of the way and let me run a business like Zola does. Yes, they assume that I have a dedicated office manager, but even when I do, why would I want to do that to them?
Clio is close, because it understands the way that legal cases files flow, and if Clio were starting now, I think they would handle matters and clients like Zola Suite does. The alternatives I spend the most time with, Clio and Xero, are married to their cloud integration such that it seems that they can't add really obvious features because they would cannibalize (aka "Sherlock") their partners.
Zola is a better platform because other sites that relay on integrations to other apps mean they have one-way sync and one-way is stupid for billing because I need it to be in one place not two.

Cons

There are some user interface things that I think will improve in the coming year. (For example, I don't use Zola for email, the fact that it is front and center doesn't help me, but that is not something I have to work around.) They publish their roadmap so I know that the platform is going to develop.

Kelly
  • Industry: Law Practice

I have used almost every legal software available. Zola is by far the most user friendly!

Reviewed on 2017/11/30

Time keeping is the biggest!

Time keeping is the biggest!

Pros

Zola customer service is prompt and very helpful. The software is user friendly and easy to navigate through. Time keeping and invoicing is very simple. We used to miss a lot of billable time not logging all emails, but with Zola once you open your email and select a matter the timer begins and is added to your matter time sheet when you click send! Zola seems to be updating their software often and offers new helpful features.

Cons

Caseway can use some work. Our clients find it difficult to set up their Caseway accounts. But it is constantly being improved with updates. The other, (although a minor issue) it would be nice to open attachments to view before downloading or saving to Zola docs.

Sheri

Need a manual to help with main features. It is good software, just not customer friendly at...

Reviewed on 2017/11/28

It does help me stay organized with time schedules, tasks to do, and client matters. It had good points, but is not very user friendly.

Pros

The software provides the ability to keep track of which area is bringing in more clients. Setting up the matters is a good function. Finally syncing the calendar with google is a plus (even if it did double everything at first..

Cons

Billing is difficult and does not integrate with bank accounts. Doubles the time. Also making corrections to information or adding information to the client matter is not easy and has no clear directions. Need a how-to manual.

Response from CARET

Hi Sheri,

Thank you for providing this feedback. Our team is currently in the process of creating a detailed user manual, but in the meantime you can access many instructional articles and videos by visiting our Help Center here: https://help.zolasuite.com/portal/home

We plan on releasing a live bank account feed by the end of Q4, so we will be sure to reach out to you once that update is live.

You can update Matter information at any time by going directly to that Matter and selecting the field you wish to edit.

Our Support team is available to answer any questions you may have, and go through our Billing features in more detail. We offer unlimited training, so feel free to reach out by phone or email.

Kind Regards,
Eileen Ehrlich
Client Success Manager

John

User friendly intuitive

Reviewed on 2022/05/27

Really great experience and

Really great experience and

Pros

User friendly intuitive easy to get implemented

Cons

Document automation is somewhat elementary but it works

Response from CARET

Hi John, thank you so much for taking the time to review Zola. We really appreciate your feedback!

-Edward

Good Product -- would subscribe agan

Reviewed on 2018/01/24

Saves me about 3 hours a month on billing and other administrative tasks.

Saves me about 3 hours a month on billing and other administrative tasks.

Pros

I like the ability that this product gives me to blend different types of billing methods within the same client. I have been searching for a product that would allow both hourly and flat fee billing by matter and not client.

Cons

Still trying to get my hands around the accounting module. Not sure if I am better to wait for full Quick Books integration to start using that functionality. Need to have some method for accounting for expense disbursement which does not require the entry of a check.

lorienne

User friendly system

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Pros

What I like most about Zola is the easy access to email on the front screen. I also like how you can enter events into the calendar from the email.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the difficulty of creating templates. I signed up for training on how to use templates but it wasn't much help.

Response from CARET

Thank you for your review of Zola Suite. We're glad Zola Suite is helping streamline emails and calendaring. Depending on your requirements there are a number of ways that document templates can be set up. We're going to reach out to you so that we can set up a few together via screen share.

Make remote practice easy

Reviewed on 2022/09/21

The experience has been great and has allowed me to work from home as if I was in the office.

Pros

This product has allowed my firm to work remotely and assists me in keep tracking of what everyone is working on without being in the same office

Cons

Create and saving new documents are a little difficult at first, but eventually you get used to it.

Response from CARET

Thank you so much for your feedback, Michael! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience using Zola Suite.

Susan
  • Industry: Law Practice

Zola's customer support is top rate!

Reviewed on 2021/08/23

I was petrified to switch from Timeslips after 25 years, but Zola made it easy to figure out how to set up and use for billing. Seriously, the customer support could not possibly be better!

Pros

I have NEVER received better customer support from any software company! They pick up the phone right away, they are knowledgable and easy to understand, and they are friendly and polit. A++.

Cons

I use this only for billing, but two things could be improved: 1) there should be a field for phone number and email address along with mailing address on the top of bills (I can only plug in mailing address); and 2) it's a bit awkward to have to go from bill creation under Time to invoices under matters.

Michael R.
Michael R.

Easy to use, comprehensive case management software

Reviewed on 2017/11/29

Greatly simplified my workflow- able to most of the practice-management tasks in one place and access it from anywhere I have an Internet connection.

Pros

Integrated e-mail. So far as I know, this is the only web-based case management software that natively handles e-mail. With other programs, you have to BCC e-mails to a special address to save them in relationship to a matter. With Zola, you simply choose from a drop-down menu.

Help is fantastic, both in the sense of solving particular problems and modifying the program as needs become apparent.

Cons

The basic accounting functions are present, but are the weakest part of the program. This is not going to be a replacement for a full-fledged accounting program like Quickbooks, but is adequate to the task of running small to medium firms.

Zachary

Zola was the answer I was looking for - big firm software functionality at a reasonable price.

Reviewed on 2018/04/25

Zola provides seamless integration with my existing Google Calendar and Gmail. The calendar and task management functions are robust with reminder options via Email or SMS. Zola provides big firm software functionality at an extremely competitive rate.

Pros

The seamless integration with Gmail and Google Calendar sets Zola above the competition. For anyone who currently relies on Gmail and Google Calendar Zola is a no-brainer. The calendaring features and task management tools are robust and the reminder options for SMS and Email put Zola over the top.

Cons

The e-mail association function appears to be manual only (no automatic filters/tagging option for incoming email) so the manual sorting of e-mails to associate them with files can be time consuming.

Bryan

This is QUALITY

Reviewed on 2016/05/23

I have tried virtually every case management software in a search to find one that suits my small law firm's needs. Zola Suite was the last on my list and I won't be trying any others.

Zola Suite has everything I need - accounting, tracking for billable hours, compact and sleek storage for the firm's contacts, and an intuitive matter management system. It has a pretty great internal email too that syncs with my gmail and allows me to save emails to cases. Basically, it's beautiful and it saves time. It's great.

Of course, it's not perfect - nothing ever is. But the difference with Zola is it's customer service. The software can be improved, of course, and Zola understands this. That's why Zola encourages its users to submit comments and suggestions regarding the software - so that they can actively make it better. And they most certainly do. The customer service is incredible. These guys really care about their users and they definitely strive to make mine and our experience a great one.

I strongly recommend Zola to everyone in need of a case management software. Trust me, once you try it, you'll be wondering how you could ever work without it.

Nicholas
  • Industry: Law Practice

Very easy to learn how to use. Customer Service is very helpful.

Reviewed on 2018/01/29

This software has helped ease me into the workings of this company as I am a new employee myself. Furthermore, as it is a works-in-progress, and a learning experience for everyone here, it encourages us to work together to work out any issues that may arise in implementing this software.

Pros

Timekeeping, remote access, ease of file searches, organization are four of the few many aspects of this software that allows us to continue our day-to-day operations with much efficiency and success.

Cons

The only con is that all documents have not yet been rolled over on to the software, however, this is a new program, and from my understanding, this feature will be available shortly. Once they are accessible, it will speed up productivity tenfold!