Zola Suite

Modern Legal Practice Management with Best-in-Class Features

Catherine B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

I am sorry to say that this company cannot deliver the product it promised.

Reviewed on 2018/02/12

I am afraid that I wasted money on this software. It promised a number of very useful features and was easy to use. However, after 6 months, the ability to manage emails was ruined by a bug that prevented me from deleting emails from my Inbox. This makes the software unusable - I cannot have emails piling up in my Inbox. Since the company is unable to correct the problem, I must move on to the different product.

Pros

The interface is attractive and intuitive. The features would be excellent if they worked. The invoicing system is easy to use, and the program promises a number of useful attributes.

Cons

Unfortunately, this product does not work and the company cannot fix it. While using the software for 6 months, we encountered several glitches. Until recently, we could live with those glitches. However, the software now refuses to delete emails from my Inbox and the company cannot correct this problem. The problem is severe - I cannot have emails piling up in my Inbox forever - and forces me to get rid of the program even though I prepaid for three annual licenses. In addition, the calendar sync with Outlook does not work at all (even though the company claims it syncs with Outlook) and it does not sync contacts with Outlook. The company has been unable to deliver the upgrades and improvements that it promised.

Response from Zola Suite

We're very sorry for the frustrations you've encountered. I'm personally going to see to it that we pull out all stops to address the issues you're encountering.

Fred Cohen, CEO

Vince P.

Former (long time) Clio User Converting to Zola Suite

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

I have been a Clio user for approximately 8 years. I have gone to all but two of the cloud conferences. I think it is a good product. However, Zola Suite does three things better (for me- a sole practitioner) and that is: 1. Better email management; 2. Better dashboard for seeing my practice at a glance, and 3- Managing and utilizing Intake forms and Custom matter fields for quick input and access to matter details and using those details to create merge documents. Clio is good, but for me, Zola Suite is better.

Pros

First and foremost is the email system. All emails (both incoming and sent) are easily attached to the file with a click of the mouse. it is also very easy to attach a file document (a Z-doc) to an outgoing email or to download an email attachment directly to the file. Using the Intake forms (both shared and internal) are handy ways to have the quick information (critical dates, expenses, etc) at your fingertips. Finally, the dashboard is what I need to run my practice. It has the incoming emails, the tasks and the calendar. Clio's dashboard is 70% billing statistics. I concede that is useful information, but my home screen should be my day at hand and that is what I get with Zola Suite.

Using the Matter-Specific Custom fields allow me to quickly (almost effortlessly) insert key data into a matter. Those fields are then easily incorporated into merge forms. The process in Clio (where you have to open to the fields and then search for them is time-consuming. (I use a lot of fields and create a lot of merge forms so having the ability to insert the field data quickly and easily is a big plus).

Cons

The inability to connect with services like Zapier. I have a love-hate relationship with Clio and Zapier. I enjoyed linking Google forms and Smartsheet and Clio. I miss having that ability. I am also having challenges utilizing virtual assistants with the system. However, I am getting used to, and preferring using just one system.

John B.

Law Office of J. Curtis Brown, LLC

Reviewed on 2019/04/09

I think the overall time that is saved by using Zola Suite is amazing. It streamlines most processes and you are able to capture time and do accounting for the firm all in one software.

Pros

I like the ability to have both a place to record time and calendar events with the ability to have the accounting piece included.

Cons

The thing i like the least is having to record a time entry and then check that a task has been completed. If it were all in one process it would be less time consuming.

Camila V.
  • Industry: Law Practice

It has been an easy, yet not smooth, transition to Zola Suite from Practice Panther.

Reviewed on 2018/02/16

Pros

I like how fast the search engine pulls up names of contacts and matters. The functionality of the search engine works really well for our purposes, especially when we need to search a phone number or e-mail address, or any identifying information other than a name. The easy access to time entries is also very useful as a office manager. I also appreciate how readily accessible communications, notes, events, tasks, documents, invoices, and expenses are in the client matter.

Cons

We had hoped to change our template software but this was not possible because the fields merged by Zola aren't of any use to us in our firm. I would also like to be able to click on a matter name anywhere in the program and be sent directly to the matter page. Additionally, I would like to be able to link events, tasks, and e-mails to closed matters without having to re-open and close them every time.

Randall C.

Zola suite for single practitoner

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Had it for a year. Building a great client contact list. Providing tasks to the office on the go is very functional

Pros

Calendar / task / mobile app really work well access by principal & staff — exchanging between staff works well

Cons

Financial component is weakest part — ended up getting a simple program for trust accounting. Just didn’t integrate the billing component— felt other programs did it better

Bryan R.

This is QUALITY

Reviewed on 2016/05/23

I have tried virtually every case management software in a search to find one that suits my small law firm's needs. Zola Suite was the last on my list and I won't be trying any others.

Zola Suite has everything I need - accounting, tracking for billable hours, compact and sleek storage for the firm's contacts, and an intuitive matter management system. It has a pretty great internal email too that syncs with my gmail and allows me to save emails to cases. Basically, it's beautiful and it saves time. It's great.

Of course, it's not perfect - nothing ever is. But the difference with Zola is it's customer service. The software can be improved, of course, and Zola understands this. That's why Zola encourages its users to submit comments and suggestions regarding the software - so that they can actively make it better. And they most certainly do. The customer service is incredible. These guys really care about their users and they definitely strive to make mine and our experience a great one.

I strongly recommend Zola to everyone in need of a case management software. Trust me, once you try it, you'll be wondering how you could ever work without it.

Norma O.

Very happy, after trying Clio and Smokeball

Reviewed on 2017/11/30

Sometimes the email use is clunky, because it works off of our Outlook account. You still have to have email from an email provider.

Pros

Ease of use. The killer feature: ability to work from email. Emails can be converted to calendar events or tasks with the click of a button. Emails can be saved to cases. Accounting and billing integrated into app.

Nicholas I.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Very easy to learn how to use. Customer Service is very helpful.

Reviewed on 2018/01/29

This software has helped ease me into the workings of this company as I am a new employee myself. Furthermore, as it is a works-in-progress, and a learning experience for everyone here, it encourages us to work together to work out any issues that may arise in implementing this software.

Pros

Timekeeping, remote access, ease of file searches, organization are four of the few many aspects of this software that allows us to continue our day-to-day operations with much efficiency and success.

Cons

The only con is that all documents have not yet been rolled over on to the software, however, this is a new program, and from my understanding, this feature will be available shortly. Once they are accessible, it will speed up productivity tenfold!

Jay D.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Does not function as advertised

Reviewed on 2019/10/02

I have not had a good experience with Zola. Their customer service is prompt, but is largely geared toward making any issue presented the fault of the user. While that certainly occurs sometimes, that is the customer service team's default setting.

Pros

The time-keeping function and the ability to contemporaneously track time from multiple pages.

Cons

Everything else. The software does not function even close to the way it was advertised to my firm. It is glitchy, unreliable, and requires updates to do things we were told it did from the start. The "dual sync" email and calendar features do not function properly, nor does the recurring task function. IF the software did what it said it did when it was sold to us, I'd be happy....but it doesn't. In short, the software has damaged my practice because it cannot be trusted and because it is not the product we were sold.

Susan M.

Great system!

Reviewed on 2017/06/14

Greater efficiency

Pros

I love that this is an all-in-one system. After having my billing all twisted up by trying to integrate a case management system with a billing system, I'm excited to have one place to go for everything. Also, the email integration makes tracking time and tasks seamless. The interface is beautiful and easy to use and I can see my entire practice in one snapshot.

Cons

There's a bit of a delay with the email and that's a little annoying. That's the reason fro the 4 stars instead of 5. I'll be moving quickly through my email and suddenly emails that I deleted pop back up again. Also, I'm eager for the live calendar integration and the bank feed.

Michael S.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Zola Suite saves the client money and is the most efficient way to capture time that I know.

Reviewed on 2017/12/01

more efficient time billing for the client; less delay in accomplishing client based tasks.

Pros

What I like most is being able to go to the client profile regarding emails that I receive and reply to the client and the client is charged exactly for the time incurred. I am not required to enter a separate billing entry that wastes my time trying to track a 2 minute or 3 minute email response which seems to happen more and more.

Cons

Whether it is me or the software, I unintentionally close out of the software way too frequently. Perhaps the exit "button" should be located differently on the bar.

Ruth M.

It has been easy to understand, navigate, and use. So far I have absolutely no complaints at...

Reviewed on 2018/06/06

Pros

What I most like is that it's easy to use. Without watching any videos or reading instructions we were able to start using it with hardly any complications. The software is very self-explanatory and non-intimidating.

Cons

Perhaps the thing I least like it's their calendar. I'm using it as a backup to our main calendar we had previously set-up. And they do offer an instructional video, but I haven't had time to look at it. I'm sure I just need to use it more often to figure it out.

Patrick P.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Great software that helps with emails, documents, and time keeping

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

We are capturing so much more lost time and because there is an app, keeping track of time while mobile is easy.

Pros

Zola is easy to use and because it is cloud based, using it in your broswer or the app is simple. It captures so much more lost time due to emails and phone calls

Cons

Because it is cloud base, depending on the type of broswer you use, it can have a little bit of law when refreshing emails or documents.

Jill S.

Best I have used so far

Reviewed on 2017/04/24

I have been working in legal services for 20 years and have tried many practice management platforms. Zola Suite is by far the best I have tried. Super easy to use, straight forward pricing, lots of great functions that are actually useful. I would recommend to any practitioner.

Pros

Ease of use, flat pricing that includes trust accounting.

Cons

I cannot think of any - have not run into any problems.

Joseph F.
  • Industry: Law Practice

A valuable tool in starting and organizing our new law firm

Reviewed on 2019/11/04

Overall, an excellent organizational and operational tool for practice management and billing.

Pros

Ease of orientation and use for major operational tasks such as matter maintenance, time and billing.

Cons

Accessing transferred documents, but I assume this is temporary and will improve with my knowledge base.

Jacob A.
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Brief review

Reviewed on 2019/04/16

So far, I'm very impressed.

Pros

Functionality, ease of use, customer support, regularly updating to customer needs

Cons

Cost, its a bit more than the competition, but likely worth it

Sarah S.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Did not Like software

Reviewed on 2019/10/24

We did not like the way the program worked and so we moved to a different program.

Pros

I did not like this software and our clients had a hard time with the invoices and logging in, etc.

Cons

There was nothing that I liked about this software. We moved to another software portal after a few months working w/ this software.

Lucas H.

Zola Suite is Great for Law Practice but could use Improvement

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Overall, Zola Suite makes it easy to track time, billing, deadlines, maintain notes on interviews and phone calls. If Zola ironed out some kinks, including the ease by which emails are saved from Outlook into the software, it would be a top product.

Pros

Billing and keeping track of time is very easy with this software. Additionally, the "Tasks" feature is very helpful for remembering deadlines and the like.

Cons

Zola Suite does have a few bugs that could use some ironing out. Some days, some of the features are unavailable. At times, saving emails to the email page from Outlook is not as easy as it should be. If Zola Suite addressed this, it would be near perfect.

Response from Zola Suite

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Lucas! We're so glad to hear that Zola Suite's time tracking and task management features have helped you be more efficient. A member of our team will be in touch to discuss the Outlook issue you're experiencing; it sounds like we may need to update your Outlook plugin.

Allison S.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

great all in one platform - no QuickBooks needed

Reviewed on 2021/01/06

We spent months reviewing Zola, the people that worked there were so patient and helpful. Overall - we should have chosen Zola to have the accounting within the system

Pros

it has FULL accounting! Most legal matter management only has some money reports, Zola has full accounting, meaning you can actually run a P&L for your business.

Cons

I thought this platform was painstakingly created to include almost every detail you could ask for, in the end, my big boss wanted something that required Quickbooks

Antonio V.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Great product which keeps getting better & customer service can't be beat

Reviewed on 2016/08/12

Zola Suite is an excellent product which delivers in every advertised aspect. You get exactly what they tell you you will get. And if you're unsure, you get a free trial of the product for 1 month to decide for yourself. In the 6+ months I've used Zola Suite I am continuously impressed by the features the product contains (and the list grows on a weekly basis by way of updates that happen in the background). When I began using Zola Suite there were lots of features that weren't necessary for me as a solo-practitioner who just started his own firm. However, now that I have a secretary and two paralegals, I see how helpful & useful all the functions are that several months ago I did not even see a need for. Zola is an excellent company, run by people with a true passion for the work they do and the product they are selling. The couple times I have had issues that necessitated my calling customer support, someone was always on the other end of the line right away, they addressed my concerns & if they couldn't, they assured me whatever issue would be brought up to the developers to come up with a fix ASAP. And in the few occasions I had an issue they couldn't immediately remedy, they lived to their promise that it was fixed within a couple days.

The reason I so wholeheartedly endorse this product is because I spent a lot of time researching the best case/firm management software for my firm today as well as my firm as I see it 1, 5, and 10 years down the road. I demo'ed all the other options as I did Zola and in the end even though Zola wasn't the most feature packed, or didn't have the most 3rd party integration as some of the others had at that time, I knew from speaking to them that everything I needed would be coming, and when it came, it would be delivered in a better, easier to use, more seamless package than any of their competitors. And after close to 9 months with Zola, everything I was promised has been delivered and then some. If I could invest my own money into this company I would do so in a heartbeat.

Pros

Great user interface. Reliable. Excellent customer service. Consistent updates making the product even better & adding new features (without charging you more for them).

Cons

Not every feature you want may be available today.

Andrew P.

Practice management that understands that this is a business I'm running

Reviewed on 2018/01/12

Pros

The two big things that Zola gets right are the accounting component and work flow for billing.
Before trying Zola, I tried manual spreadsheets, FreshBooks, Harvest, CaseOne, Clio, Xero, ebility, and probably some others. None of them got out of the way and let me run a business like Zola does. Yes, they assume that I have a dedicated office manager, but even when I do, why would I want to do that to them?
Clio is close, because it understands the way that legal cases files flow, and if Clio were starting now, I think they would handle matters and clients like Zola Suite does. The alternatives I spend the most time with, Clio and Xero, are married to their cloud integration such that it seems that they can't add really obvious features because they would cannibalize (aka "Sherlock") their partners.
Zola is a better platform because other sites that relay on integrations to other apps mean they have one-way sync and one-way is stupid for billing because I need it to be in one place not two.

Cons

There are some user interface things that I think will improve in the coming year. (For example, I don't use Zola for email, the fact that it is front and center doesn't help me, but that is not something I have to work around.) They publish their roadmap so I know that the platform is going to develop.

Kelly L.
  • Industry: Law Practice

I have used almost every legal software available. Zola is by far the most user friendly!

Reviewed on 2017/11/30

Time keeping is the biggest!

Pros

Zola customer service is prompt and very helpful. The software is user friendly and easy to navigate through. Time keeping and invoicing is very simple. We used to miss a lot of billable time not logging all emails, but with Zola once you open your email and select a matter the timer begins and is added to your matter time sheet when you click send! Zola seems to be updating their software often and offers new helpful features.

Cons

Caseway can use some work. Our clients find it difficult to set up their Caseway accounts. But it is constantly being improved with updates. The other, (although a minor issue) it would be nice to open attachments to view before downloading or saving to Zola docs.

Ashley V.

A great change!

Reviewed on 2017/04/06

We had been using antiquated practice management software that no longer had any support available, so it was time to make a change. We really appreciated ZolaSuite's attentive nature in helping our firm transition over to the new system, and really love how quickly the support staff gets back to us. We have had the pleasure of watching Zola grow and develop over the past year, and we would never go back to the old system. Being able to have access to our case management system from anywhere, without using a VPN, is so helpful and efficient. There are sooo many great features on Zola that we never had before and it has really helped our firm grow as well!

Pros

All the neat features that really help with my workflow

Cons

Some bugs here and there, but we understand that Zola is constantly being developed. Miss a few features from TimeMatters, like being able to cross-relate files and contacts.

Eric D.

The software is very intuitive making the transition from other software a snap

Reviewed on 2018/02/07

Pros

This software loads fast and is streamlined and instinctive. I am a former abacus user. It took me less than an hour to learn and master tasks in zolasuite that it took me months to figure out on abacus. In addition, the mobile app is huge if you are on the road. Even something as simple as being able to immediately create a timeslip for a phonecall you may have had with a client while waiting during a court recess is huge. It monetizes something you may as soon forget about when you return to the office. This means zolasuite could very well pay for itself based upon revenue you dont lose.

Cons

The migration from abacus was an issue. It occurred two weeks ago and what notes that are there are scrambled and attached to cases thet don't belong to. It may be worthwhile to handle this yourself.

Response from Zola Suite

Eric, thank you so much for this very thorough (and flattering) review. Regarding migration of your Notes, I'm very sorry we missed the mark on that; we actually pride ourselves in performing highly accurate and thorough migrations.

I'm reaching out to you personally to make sure we get it right asap.

Fred Cohen, CEO

Jannine M.
  • Industry: Legal Services

All in one practice management software

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

Very responsive. Love the software.

Pros

Everything you need to run your practice on 1 platform. Integrated email allow one less software program and saving communications directly to client file.

Cons

Email can have glitches at times but the Zola team is constantly updating, fixing bugs and adding new features.