Geekbot Reviews

Geekbot

Asynchronous standup meetings in Slack

4.8/5 (38 reviews)
Alex B.

A less intrusive team check-in for remote teams that's easy to use

Reviewed on 2019/10/17

Geekbot allows for us to have more regular check-ins and stand-up meetings with employees on a remote team. Being on a remote team is quite lonely at times and having Geekbot be a non-committal daily check-in really helps us stay on the same page with our team.

The other reports are interesting and I'm excited to collect more datapoints over-time to get a nice gauge on how the team is feeling as a whole.

Pros

The interface is incredibly easy to use and the onboarding/setup was super clean. I have used other players in the space like Standuply and felt somewhat overwhelmed with functionality. Geekbot has a far better UI/UX and reporting process. We have found our home with Geekbot.

Cons

That there is no free tier. We are a small team and many of their competitors have a free tier for small teams. It has gotta be tough competing with that, but they are definitely taking a step in the right direction with their simplicity and superior UX.

I do wish that you could default the manual "report" check-in functionality as we have a daily check-in and a bi-weekly retrospective. 99.9% of the time you are going to do the daily check-in manually by typing "report", but it has you select which of the 2 reports you want to report on.

Tom B.

Indispensable insight into what the heck I do all day

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

As an extremely busy senior practictioner in a remote startup, geekbot gives me invaluable insight both into what my coworkers are doing and into what the heck I actually do. Along with Harvest, I often use it to answer questions about where my time went yesterday and where today's time is intended to go.

You might think I'd be annoyed by the daily questions, but in fact I am greatly reassured that my time is being intelligently spent and, when there are problems meeting those goals, that I understand why.

I don't think remote teams should operate without it.

Pros

* Reminds me to give my standup report, without overdoing it
* Together with Harvest, allows me to piece together a narrative of what I actually do
* Zero-friction self-management tool

Cons

* I used to say "a pain to edit later," but they fixed that: if you edit what you've entered in the geekbot channel, your corrections immediately show up in the group channel. Nice.

Batikan K.

Improved Productivity

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

Geekbot allowed us to implement daily standup culture within our team without leaving Slack. We are a distributed small team that has members from 3 different countries, and we manage our daily standups + retrospectives through Geekbot. So far it has helped everyone to get up-to-speed with how to approach the project management culture we are trying to implement and it allowed everyone to see the progress being made, documented and openly appreciated.

Pros

It is easy to use. You just set it up and that's it, it is completely integrated with Slack, so you don't need to go to the dashboard to manage anything, you can handle a lot of stuff by just communicating with the bot. It is really easy to use and allows keeping everyone up to date.

Cons

It failed once or twice throughout our whole usage which caused some questions to be delivered late, but those were only small glitches. Overall, it is a pretty stable product.

Jeremie C.

standup meetings made easy for small remote teams with hectic schedules

Reviewed on 2017/10/02

Pros

At Trackener, we are a small startup (5 team members) and we are following the agile methodology. Standups are important for us to know on a daily basis who's doing what, and make sure our team is always focusing on what matters the most.

We had trouble finding an hour to schedule those standups since our CEO is always on the move, one of our team members is working part time mostly on evenings, and we often all work remotely.

Doing it on Slack with Geekbot, whenever someone starts his workday, was really a good idea because it enables us to keep that good habit of daily reporting our work while not necessarily doing it all at the same time. Among the interesting features that Geekbot provides are the reminders (if you don't do your standup, expect to be harassed!) and it tells you what you commited to do the day before, when you start your report.

We've used it daily in our team for more than 3 months and it's totally part of our daily routine.

Cons

There are a lot of features that we do not need though (like the dashboard, tracking, etc).

Yuriy L.

The best solution to keep a team informed

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

Perfect. Work daily and are happy :)

Pros

Very convenient tool to synchronize a remote team. We use it as a text daily standup as well as for being informed about overall team health. So it's a very big friend for managers and I can recommend it for any remote team

Cons

Seriously, we're fully satisfied. Don't know what to say about cons

Porter B.

Simple, straightforward, useful, and fun.

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Pros

Easy to configure our group, and we loved a few options:
1) Managing different timezones
2) Customizing the messaging for the standup to fit our culture

Cons

Nothing really. We tried several Slack standup integrations and this was the only one our team liked and didn't find annoying. :)

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for your kind words,Porter! Glad Geekbot is helping your team sync and maintain your company's culture. :)

Aditya P.

About Geekbot

Reviewed on 2018/12/15

Overall experience is good

Pros

The product is very much useful specially for technology .

We can even attach files and send it to the team where swiftly.

The most interesting feature of the product is shortcut commands.

Cons

Its difficult to send multiple text. We have create snippet and then send it.

Geekbot for University Research Project

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/03/03

Geekbot staff and the bot have both been exceptional, proactive, and helpful.

For a student project that demands steady progress amidst other responsibilities, Geekbot creates a level of accountability that keeps the entire team in motivated and in the loop.

Pros

Customizable - able to set up days and times that meet the projects demands.

Engaging - private fun messages to motivate use.

Increases Accountability and Transparency - having a bot send out messages helps separate Scrum Master from becoming Scrum Overlord.

Efficient and concise - avoids the quick stand-up meetings that turn into long complex code reviews or water cool chats about the weekend.

Cons

No complaints. Works as advertised and the webhooks/API allow for scraping data to where we want to keep our records.

Jake M.

Geekbot - a valuable tool for offshore teams and nice people to work with

Reviewed on 2018/08/13

The team was very helpful and their software does exactly what we need it to do. Thanks Geekbot!

Pros

The reports functionality and being able to customize it and trigger it for specific days of the week

Cons

For our usage, there is nothing lacking right now.

Response from Venturegeeks

Glad we're helping you guys. Thanks for your kind words ;)

Emily B.

I used geekbot to facilitate scrum for my team located in the US (east and west coast) and India

Reviewed on 2017/08/09

Pros

Geekbot really helped information flow between our US and India teams. It was originally hard for us to keep track of what everyone else was doing, and there was no convenient time to have a scrum because of the 12 hour time difference. After using geekbot, people were able to jump in and help others because they knew what they were working on. It also helped increase the accountability on the team by having a team wide commitment to what everyone was working on.

Cons

I wish there was integration with Jira - that way, you can easily see the tickets others are working on without having to search them yourself. I've been told this integration is coming, though!

Response from Venturegeeks

Truly appreciate your kind words. We're really happy Geekbot is a great solution for your team and promise we will integrate with Jira shortly!

Deepak A.

About Geekbot in Slack

Reviewed on 2018/11/28

Overall it saves time talking to individual person about their progress. Till date had good experience with the bot.

Pros

It's timely reminder helped me to get timely report of my team mates work progress. Daily reminder for their on going work progress, hurdles they are facing. Set up daily meeting reminders and calendar events.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like talking to a bot. It will be nice if we have some more AI feature in this.

Jason N.

Awesome team tracking, integration, and UI

Reviewed on 2019/08/23

Generally just very happy with the enhancement in production and communication.

Pros

If you prefer a really fun and clean UI for communicating with your team, this is a great app. Highly recommend it for helping with your team communication and coordination on projects.

Cons

I think the software is very simple. And that could be seen as a downside, but I much prefer it this way.

Geekbot is the best way to run scrum or standup meeting in slack

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

Pros

- Its quite simple and easy to use standup bot for startups
- It saves lot of time in meetings

Cons

- There is no option to snooze the notifications when Im out of office, or when I dont want to participate in the post standup notification
- The ping would sometime take some time to load. Its not always accurate on time.

Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 2018/10/27

Pros

Geekbot is by far the best Daily Standup app for slack! I'm attending college and have a Software Engineering group project. Our group needed a Daily Standup slack bot to make our Standups easier and we had tried two others before with bad luck. Standup the customer support gave us so many problems so we switched to Geekbot and we could not be happier!! Geekbot has been excellent and I've recommended it to other teams at school who have equally loved it. I highly recommend it!!

Cons

There is nothing to complain about, we have had nothing but a pleasant experience with Geekbot so far.

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for the awesome review!

Camilo B.

Smart & Helpful

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

Amazing experience, its helped us tremendously.

Pros

It's been a really great experience, it has helped us to streamline daily to-dos for our team and encourage team communication surrounding specific tasks.

Cons

The only con we have is that we wish the price was a bit lower per user.

Akhil A.

If you're the kind who doesn't see value in paying for software. GeekBot is about to change that.

Reviewed on 2017/08/18

Pros

GeekBot helps get teams on the same page. We are currently a team split between 3 timezones and 4 locations with serious concerns on inter-team communication. Moving to GeekBot almost instantly has helped bring the team closer to each other. We did some smart bot creation so all of the updates are not going into one channel. This way we have achieved not only company wide but also intra-team communication.

Cons

Difficult to track who all have completed their Daily Updates without leaving Slack. Everything else is super simple and easy to use.

Response from Venturegeeks

Glad Geekbot is helping your team connect and communicate around the globe.

Enrique B.

Easy to use slack bot for people using scrum and struggling with daily standups.

Reviewed on 2018/01/14

Improve our daily standups with a remote team.

Pros

It's an easy way to handle daily standups when doing scrum. Lets everyone know what they're working on for keeping a record on tasks. It's really easy to use, convenient and can be customized to your needs (for example, pausing the standup when going on vacation or something similar).

Cons

The fact it's a bot makes it easier to ignore what other people are doing, instead of having to hear them when doing a daily standup in person. It's easy to disable the standup and sometimes you may be bothered by having to remember to set off the standup for a couple of days.

Fernando C.

It's really helpful. You can add your own questions, divide by teams, set when it will happen.

Reviewed on 2018/06/01

Easy to set. Easy to use. And the support team is really helpful.

Pros

It helps a lot the communication. We used have problems doings standup meetings online, with webcams. It was so annoying, everyday people had problems with the internet connection. Now it's so easy to get updated about the teams work. We have teams in 4 different states in Brazil and use geekbot everyday in different slacks channels. We are really enjoying it.

Cons

In the beginning, some people had problems to report in more the one channel with different questions, but as soon as we learned how to use it, it got easier!

Fotis A.

Saves the day

Reviewed on 2017/03/23

Pros

Intuitive interface, easy to use, very efficient, works great on my mobile phone as well. Makes team updates very easily digested & read

Cons

I'm extremely satisfied with Geekbot as a user and a team administrator, I can't find any cons at the moment.

Andrew S.

Making life better on a daily basis

Reviewed on 2017/04/13

I use Geekbot with my team on a daily basis and it has made my life so much better. I still do work in following up with my team and keeping track of what they're doing but now I can be more flexible about when I follow up. I use to have 3 different standups for a 6 person team. They ranged from 8 in the morning to 11 at night. It was difficult to get everyone on the same call. This has definitely made our lives better and allowed us to still keep track of what we're doing.

Pros

Automatic. It takes care of sending the messages so that I can sleep.

Response from Venturegeeks

Happy we're helping your team and of course we're glad you can get your nights sleep :)

Dan H.

Been using it for virtual standups with remote team members and it works great

Reviewed on 2018/01/25

Daily reminders to ensure team communication doesn't fall off.

Pros

I honestly prefer face-face standups but I know that's not always possible with travel and life so when we're not doing face-face we rely on geekbot to keep the team up to date

Alan S.

Geekbot has helped our disjointed team feel part of a team again, in a non-intrusive manner

Reviewed on 2017/04/28

Helped open up communications across our team

Pros

How it fits around my day and my needs in a very convenient way. You can use it to ask the core questions that are important to your company when the users are ready to answer it. They don't have to stop what they are doing to attend an hour long meeting where they speak for 2 minutes about what they have done.

Cons

I did not like the fact that you couldn't change the geekboto logo, we would have liked to customise it with our own mascot or logo.

Response from Venturegeeks

Glad we're helping your team. Thank you very much for the review!

Reuben M.

Essential for remote teams.

Reviewed on 2018/08/28

Pros

Highly customize-able. Great for rapidly evolving workflows!

Cons

Honestly? Geekbot is pretty great... We're kinda inspired to make our bot just as useful :)

Response from Venturegeeks

Appreciate your kind words!

Dustindustin S.

We love geekbot

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

We've been using geekbot for the past month and have found it really increases the engagement of our team. We have both a daily and a weekly check-in and generally have 100% participation.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that it posts the engagement to the channel, so everyone can see if some members didn't reply.

Helps show our attendaince in daily

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

All in all I really like geekbot. It's easy to use and fulfills a need which we were unable to fulfill, until we discovered geekbot.

Pros

It's easy to use. All users get a request to fill out if they're attending that days standup (we don't work in the same geographical location). If you forget to fill it out, you're reminded.

Cons

At one point my timezone was incorrect within geekbot, so I got my request to fill attendence too late. I had no opportunity to do anything about this. Could be due to the fact we are using the trial version.