Geekbot

4,9 (101)
Asynchronous standup meetings in Slack

Alex B.

A less intrusive team check-in for remote teams that's easy to use

Reviewed on 2019/10/17

Geekbot allows for us to have more regular check-ins and stand-up meetings with employees on a remote team. Being on a remote team is quite lonely at times and having Geekbot be a non-committal daily check-in really helps us stay on the same page with our team.

The other reports are interesting and I'm excited to collect more datapoints over-time to get a nice gauge on how the team is feeling as a whole.

Pros

The interface is incredibly easy to use and the onboarding/setup was super clean. I have used other players in the space like Standuply and felt somewhat overwhelmed with functionality. Geekbot has a far better UI/UX and reporting process. We have found our home with Geekbot.

Cons

That there is no free tier. We are a small team and many of their competitors have a free tier for small teams. It has gotta be tough competing with that, but they are definitely taking a step in the right direction with their simplicity and superior UX.

I do wish that you could default the manual "report" check-in functionality as we have a daily check-in and a bi-weekly retrospective. 99.9% of the time you are going to do the daily check-in manually by typing "report", but it has you select which of the 2 reports you want to report on.

Reasons for Choosing Geekbot

The UI/UX for Standuply was a bit overwhelming and Geekbot looked a bit cleaner and more simple.

Reasons for Switching to Geekbot

Geekbot is more simple and intuitive. Fewer features overall, but the simplicity and superior UX made it worth the switch.

Response from Venturegeeks

Appreciated the time spent and your kind words here Alex :)

Hope that we will continue to fill the high standards you set for us!

Mathieu R.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Easy, quick and just what we needed

Reviewed on 2020/10/19

Pros

So easy to deploy, manage and customize to our needs, this is exactly what we needed in this pandemic. We are now 9 people working remotely and Geekbot just makes things so easier for us in this context. Slack integration is as easy as it is a lifesaver!

Cons

We've only tested the basic features but are priced for the full thing. Segmented pricing options would be great for small startups like ourselves, maybe?

Standuply and ClickUp

Reasons for Switching to Geekbot

Three words: Ease. Of. Use. In five minutes, everything was setup. Admin interface is also very well done.

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for letting us know how we can improve Mathieu :)
It's always nice to get some real feedback!

Arzu Ç.

Geekbot is now a must-have for our Stand ups!

Reviewed on 2021/12/15

Overall, we were struggling to work as a remote team, but Geekbot saved the team spirit. It’s very simple to set up and use, thanks to its customizable features. It allows our team to keep track of what everyone is working on on a daily basis. Also very useful when we run Scrum, Agile methodologies for our projects.

Pros

Increases our team’s engagement
A good overview of people’s daily activities.
It allows you to keep track of tasks.

Cons

It’s difficult to find any cons when it’s that user friendly and customizable.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Simple to use, Easy to "Break"

Reviewed on 2020/11/11

Pros

Integration with Slack is incredibly useful and simple. Keeps myself as well as my team up to date with progress.

Cons

If I forget to post a response for a check-in and decide to do that the next day before the check-in time, I will not be prompted for a response. Geekbot should ask for a response exactly as scheduled and should not depend on whether you've given a response that day or not.

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on Geekbot :)

If you are referring to reminders for your standup, then you can easily set them up from your dashboard under the My Preferences section inside the standup of your choice.
Feel free to reach out in order further understand the case here and hopefully we can resolve this asap!

Daniel D.

Great for asychronous daily stand-ups

Reviewed on 2022/01/06

Pros

With a distributed dev team in different time zones we found this was a better way to do our daily stand-ups.

Cons

Works as advertised. My only challenge has been getting a 100% rate... but that's my problem, not Geekbot's ;)

Seisei T.
  • Industry: Political Organization

Simple yet powerful tool

Reviewed on 2020/05/22

We use this for a daily gratitude practice with the team--really smooth

Pros

Interface is simple to understand, daily survey was easy to create and implement, no glitches in execution, and all the responses are rounded periodically into one report that gets sent to the admin via email

Cons

No ability to aggregate and report all responses into one report that gets delivered at a specific time

Reasons for Switching to Geekbot

Interface is really easy to use but admittedly we have combined several products to get the functionality that we needed. We'd hoped to get an all-in-one but haven't been able to find a product that does everything. Geekbot is a strong addition to the suite of tools that we needed.

Response from Venturegeeks

Appreciated your feedback Sensei, we would definitely take your suggestion into careful consideration :)

Mai L.

Great UX, great support. It's now a crucial part of our daily team collaboration rituals

Reviewed on 2021/09/06

Pros

My team and I have been using Geekbot for a few months now, and we really like it! It has some great features that make our lives easier. For example, it is very easy to use with a web interface, integrates with Slack, and has analytics and reporting. Our team uses it daily to improve team collaboration and their productivity.

Another aspect of the software that I really appreciate is how well-designed the user interface is. There are lots of little details that make the experience better - from notifications of the bots, to having all of our active standups in one admin place so we can manage more in less time. And lastly, their customer service team has been fantastic too - they always respond quickly when we need help or have questions about anything!

In conclusion, thanks so much for creating such an awesome standup app!

Cons

I’ve been using Geekbot for a while now and have had the opportunity to use it in many different situations. First, let me say that I appreciate the work they do and all of the hard work that goes into developing the product. It's not easy and it is important to recognise this.

Here are my thoughts about what I don't like about Geekbot.

First, I love the idea of providing people with an anonymous survey because people can be truly honest, but it would be great if we could nudge the anonymous participants using Geekbot to complete the survey. This is because currently, we have a super low survey participation rate which is really hurting our process. We used Simple Poll previously that had this feature, we would love if they could develop these features!

Secondly, their pricing for this seems expensive to me since they charge us per user. The pricing structure makes sense if you are a small team < 10, but we have a lot of interns and temp staff (about 23 people) so the cost stacks up very quickly.

We will still continue using it despite the high price tag, but it'd be great to be able to cap it to a flat fee when you exceed a certain size, Simple Poll has that flat fee structure so please consider doing the same!

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for taking the time to provide some really detailed feedback for us, highly appreciated :)

Fingers crossed that we will be able to meet your expectations soon!

George V.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Does well for standups..wish they had more templates.

Reviewed on 2021/05/29

Pros

What we really liked about Geekbot is that it is simple and easy to set up and use. Geekbot gives us a snapshot of what the whole team is working on each day. This helps managers keep track of deliverables, reduces the formation of silos in the team as well as fosters an environment of support and learning as the app enable team members to flag obstacles earlier and receive the help they need.

In terms of task management, the app has helped managers track deliverables across the team. It has also helped increase ownership, consciousness and accountability among individual team members for planning and executing their daily tasks, especially as the team is now fully remote.

Cons

Customisable templates is an area where Geekbot could improve - they just don't have as many templates as their competitors do. I would like to see more templates around process like employee onboarding, which Standuply offers.

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for mentioning both the pros and the cons of Geekbot, George.

We are constantly want to increase and add new templates, so hopefully you will get to see more soon :)

Clay P.

Geekbot ftw!

Reviewed on 2021/07/08

Geekbot is a huge time and cost saver for us. Letting people write daily updates asynchronously via slack means everybody can post/read status updates as it suits their schedule. Avoiding those in person meetings saves dozens of hours a week and gives everyone larger blocks of uninterrupted time to get work done.

Pros

Geekbot is dead simple, and it lives where our team lives: in Slack. Set up your questions, your recipients, and your schedule, and you're off and running.

Cons

Nothing to fault here. It's got the right mix of features and simplicity to cover the basics.

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks so much for your kind words on Geekbot, Clay.
Really mean a lot to the team here :)

Kiran P.

Excellent Slack Bot to run Standups

Reviewed on 2021/07/23

Excellent tool to hold standups with on Slack started using it during the pandemic as a way to run e-version of the standup but not easy on Zoom/Teams calls so doing it on Slack made it not only seamless but efficient. The outcomes of projects also improved due to the tracking via standups and cross collaboration and support provided by each other from the answers they provided to the bot were posted in a dedicated standup channel all providing invaluable experiences for the students i was working with.

Pros

Ability to customise it to suit my business needs

Cons

Cost of it but i do believe the product is well made so i would not fault the payment.

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for pointing both the pros and the cons you spot through your interaction with Geekbot, Kiran :)
Really appreciated and we will definitely take them into consideration!

Tom B.

Indispensable insight into what the heck I do all day

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

As an extremely busy senior practictioner in a remote startup, geekbot gives me invaluable insight both into what my coworkers are doing and into what the heck I actually do. Along with Harvest, I often use it to answer questions about where my time went yesterday and where today's time is intended to go.

You might think I'd be annoyed by the daily questions, but in fact I am greatly reassured that my time is being intelligently spent and, when there are problems meeting those goals, that I understand why.

I don't think remote teams should operate without it.

Pros

* Reminds me to give my standup report, without overdoing it
* Together with Harvest, allows me to piece together a narrative of what I actually do
* Zero-friction self-management tool

Cons

* I used to say "a pain to edit later," but they fixed that: if you edit what you've entered in the geekbot channel, your corrections immediately show up in the group channel. Nice.

Response from Venturegeeks

Highly appreciated your exact use case here Tom :)
Thanks for your kind words and trust you are showing at Geekbot, hope that we will continue to feel your needs.
Kudos!

Best slackbot for doing standup meetings

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Pros

- Ability to edit private DMs and silent publishing to the channel
- Ease of configuration, templating, onboarding
- Love the engagement survey/reminder to nudge
- Pleasant/engaging customer support
- Quick reply status for repeating the same status from the previous day

Cons

- Doesn't always start on time
- Suffered from extensive delays a few times (20-30 minutes between questions)
- Unable to manage other standups (I purchased for several teams but I'm unable to see/configure their settings)
- Response times from customer support are a bit slow even via intercom (expect 1-2 business days, sometimes longer)
- Timeline performance (dashboard view) for summarization sometimes lags

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for taking the time to make us better :)

Although, I do believe that we improved in all of the aspects you mentioned in cons, we would definitely take these into careful consideration and try to improve more :)

Martin A.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Great for dispersed teams.

Reviewed on 2020/03/19

Pros

Really easy to setup, only moments to get going. Adjusting the reports and adding/removing participants is a breeze through the nicely designed web UI. Also, this bot is great for suitable for check-ins of at any interval about any topic also. The flexibility around where the answers go in slack is nice, all permissions are handled through slack for this viability of the report answers.

Cons

Finding really difficult to fault this software. The only thing I would mention is that to the best of my knowledge a thread cant be created per answered question of the report in slack, only for all questions as a whole. There have been times where I have a few comments of a users report and it would be nice to categorise them per answer rather than per report.

Response from Venturegeeks

Appreciated both the pros and the cons you mentioned here Martin :)
Thanks for taking the time to write a review, it's always nice to hear how we can further improve!

Olga F.

Productivity Boost

Reviewed on 2020/04/14

We use Geekbot for our virtual standup. We configured it in a way that it asks for a report in the evening. So we write what we've done today and what we are going to do tomorrow. This way we have our next day planned in beforehand which is great for the mental health cause having a day planned helps you sleep at night tight :)

Pros

Geekbot helps our team being productive and efficient.

Cons

Sometimes it gets crazy and forgets about some team members or sends the report reminder in strange times :)

Response from Venturegeeks

Appreciated mentioning the pros and most importantly the cons of Geekbot, Olga :)
It's always nice to learn what can you do to improve more and if at any case this is still bugging you, please reach out to our customer support in order to get this sorted the soonest!

Marie V.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Super easy to use and quick to setup !

Reviewed on 2021/02/10

It took me 5 minutes to setup and add all my little details and settings, it posts everyone's reports in our dedicated channel and people can check those out whenever in a clear and easy way. We ask "Do you need to talk to anyone ?" each day, and people tag whoever it is they have to talk to. Easy and super useful.
I love the option to get the standup DM whenever you connect from a specific time !

Pros

So far our team is only using Geekbot to handle Standup, but it is amazing. There is not a single thing missing there. A most appreciated feature is that it handles timezones. Our company works with people from Europe, the US, South America and New Zealand without this, standup would be a mess.
Also love that people can pick and choose the best time for them to fill their standup, that's especially practical for contractors that have variable hours.

Cons

It would be amazing if the whole setting up of standups could be done directly in slack, but honestly I don't see anything I don't like about Geekbot so far.

Response from Venturegeeks

Highly appreciated your review on Geekbot and thanks for all the love Marie :)

Batikan K.

Improved Productivity

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

Geekbot allowed us to implement daily standup culture within our team without leaving Slack. We are a distributed small team that has members from 3 different countries, and we manage our daily standups + retrospectives through Geekbot. So far it has helped everyone to get up-to-speed with how to approach the project management culture we are trying to implement and it allowed everyone to see the progress being made, documented and openly appreciated.

Pros

It is easy to use. You just set it up and that's it, it is completely integrated with Slack, so you don't need to go to the dashboard to manage anything, you can handle a lot of stuff by just communicating with the bot. It is really easy to use and allows keeping everyone up to date.

Cons

It failed once or twice throughout our whole usage which caused some questions to be delivered late, but those were only small glitches. Overall, it is a pretty stable product.

Response from Venturegeeks

It is always nice to hear a real customer story, Batikan :)
Thanks so much for sharing!

Jeremie C.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

standup meetings made easy for small remote teams with hectic schedules

Reviewed on 2017/10/02

Pros

At Trackener, we are a small startup (5 team members) and we are following the agile methodology. Standups are important for us to know on a daily basis who's doing what, and make sure our team is always focusing on what matters the most.

We had trouble finding an hour to schedule those standups since our CEO is always on the move, one of our team members is working part time mostly on evenings, and we often all work remotely.

Doing it on Slack with Geekbot, whenever someone starts his workday, was really a good idea because it enables us to keep that good habit of daily reporting our work while not necessarily doing it all at the same time. Among the interesting features that Geekbot provides are the reminders (if you don't do your standup, expect to be harassed!) and it tells you what you commited to do the day before, when you start your report.

We've used it daily in our team for more than 3 months and it's totally part of our daily routine.

Cons

There are a lot of features that we do not need though (like the dashboard, tracking, etc).

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks Jeremie for sharing your view and describing on how Geekbot can help a small team (as us) to communicate and stay on track :)

Damian V.

Geekbot supports me in managing my remote team

Reviewed on 2020/04/09

Pros

I have built a habit waking up and then joining my team's standup meeting. I love this product as I can provides me with data on how my team is feeling and at the same time I know what everyone is working on, which is sometimes hard when your run a remote company

Cons

Nothing comes to mind....Well maybe if the moment I post my stand up update, Geeky would order my daily coffee. That would be cool :)

Response from Venturegeeks

Haha! We have to definitely consider that option as well Damian :)
Thanks for sharing!

Lesti W.

Key feature for our product team.

Reviewed on 2020/11/06

Pros

- Remote asynchronous stand-up
- The micro reports in Slack every day
- The ping every morning to avoid forgetting
- The dashboard to see the answers, the mood, globally or on a specific period

Cons

The log-in by Slack for each log-in to the tool. I would love something that remember me when I log-in?

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for taking the time to write a review Lesti :)
If you ever find a little bit more time, please reach out to our customer support Team in order to explain us further your feature request here, thanks

Paul A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Teach to learn, learn to teach

Reviewed on 2020/03/19

As a software engineer it is important to always be up to speed with the code being written in your company. Even when the code doesn't directly impact what you're working on today, it does impact your code.

We use Geekbot each day in Slack to request engineers post updates to what they've learned. By doing this, we're able to monitor potential areas of mentorship.

We are a company that thrives on learning, and Geekbot makes the overall understanding of how we're doing that, much easier.

Pros

Geekbot makes it very easy to prompt our engineers via Slack, offering a couple of very easy straightforward questions: What did you learn today; How will you use that in production?

This ease of use and consistency makes viewing the results very fast. Of course, if they are simply too busy, it can easily be dismissed, so it doesn't become annoying, and therefore continues to be used.

Cons

I can honestly say that since using Geekbot, I have not found a single issue with it. Maybe we could use more of its potential, but for what we need right now, it is 100% the correct tool for the job.

Response from Venturegeeks

Amazing real-life story here Paul, thanks so much for sharing :)
You are setting a high bar for us and hope that we will continue to help your team learn and innovate!

Pierre-alain G.

One of the most efficient tool we use

Reviewed on 2020/06/03

Pros

It's handling our standup almost entirely asynchronously. Brings a lot of discipline, visibility, and helps us save a LOT of time (not 30 mins standups anymore)

Cons

Nothing is missing for me. I would personally love it if they gamified it a little bit, but this is in the "bonus points" category.

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks so much for your review Pierre-Alain :)
Feel free to reach out in order to discuss the gamification option further.

Aditya P.
  • Industry: Automotive

About Geekbot

Reviewed on 2018/12/15

Overall experience is good

Pros

The product is very much useful specially for technology .

We can even attach files and send it to the team where swiftly.

The most interesting feature of the product is shortcut commands.

Cons

Its difficult to send multiple text. We have create snippet and then send it.

Response from Venturegeeks

Much appreciated Aditya :)

If you still facing any difficulties, please pass by the support in order to find a more efficient way of do that :)

Yuriy L.
  • Industry: Design

The best solution to keep a team informed

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

Perfect. Work daily and are happy :)

Pros

Very convenient tool to synchronize a remote team. We use it as a text daily standup as well as for being informed about overall team health. So it's a very big friend for managers and I can recommend it for any remote team

Cons

Seriously, we're fully satisfied. Don't know what to say about cons

Response from Venturegeeks

Glad Geekbot is a good fit for your remote team, Yuriy! Thanks for your kind words :)

Porter B.

Simple, straightforward, useful, and fun.

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Pros

Easy to configure our group, and we loved a few options:
1) Managing different timezones
2) Customizing the messaging for the standup to fit our culture

Cons

Nothing really. We tried several Slack standup integrations and this was the only one our team liked and didn't find annoying. :)

Response from Venturegeeks

Thanks for your kind words,Porter! Glad Geekbot is helping your team sync and maintain your company's culture. :)

Great product for teams!

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

Pros

We are a distributed small team that has members from 3 different countries, and we manage our daily standups + retrospectives through Geekbot. Geekbot allowed us to implement daily standup culture within our team without leaving Slack. So far it has helped everyone to get up-to-speed with how to approach the project management culture we are trying to implement and it allowed everyone to see the progress being made, documented and openly appreciated.

Cons

It's so simple, also there are some preset meetings for daily standup or retrospective, etc. They're really helpful to us.

Response from Venturegeeks

When you read positive feedback in both pros and cons, it feels awesome :)
Thanks for sharing this!