Quip

Docs, tasks, & spreadsheet collaboration with built-in chat

4,4
4,3
4,1
4,4
4,5
Industry: Entertainment

Perfect for quick notes

Reviewed on 2020/06/24

Great tool for quick notes and easy access but not a tool I'd recommend to use over Google Drive or Microsoft Office.

Pros

Quip is a great tool to use for your team when quickly brainstorming and jotting down ideas. It strips itself of unnecessary formatting/UI options and provides you a clean slate to work smarter.

Cons

While Quip is easy to use, using Quip as a main tool to create spreadsheets or documents is not something I recommend. Exporting a Quip spreadsheets to Excel will export all the information over but leaves you with a lot of manual formatting and editing and becomes unreliable when needing to export something on the fly. This could be fixed if the "Save to PDF" function worked properly, but alas, saving to a PDF does not allow you to format properly and will include the Header rows and columns into the PDF - thus not allowing you to send clean, concise information over to colleagues.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Ciedelle E.

Equipped with Quip!

Reviewed on 2020/03/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We use quip to share files among members and teams in our organization and I love how we could easily update and access them from anywhere especially on the mobile as well, it makes collaboration way too easy.

Pros

The design and layout is superb, I specifically love how you can folders visually and it is attractive. Being able to color code them makes organizing files and projects shared across teams more effective.

Cons

Not all file types are supported like scripts, I would have to just upload it as a textfile with the scripts if I wanted it on quip.

Good Wiki Alternative

Reviewed on 2019/06/01

I really like Quip. Having used Confluence and various Wikis, I think this is about as good as it gets. There's room for improvement for sure, but 90% of the time it does what I want and I'm able to communicate what I want to colleagues.

Pros

- Good for documentation
- It creates links to any part of the document for easy referencing
- The WYSIWYG editor works pretty well
- The keyboard shortcuts are good
- Embedded spreadsheets are neat (though I don't find I use them that often)
- Comment functionality really neat, including the ability to "resolve" comments.
- Edit History works well

Cons

- I really hate how embedded images work. It's bordering on impossible to make it look how you want and you'll have to compromise on it looking sort of crappy
- The search could use some help
- The auto numbered or unordered list stuff is annoying as hell and takes some finagling to get around. If you have a "1." then an image, if you type "2." it'll change it into "1." because it thinks you're starting a new numbered list because of the image. Really annoying.
- When I look at the Recently Updated list and click "Mark All As Read" why don't all of them become unread? This annoys me more than it should, but why don't they all get makred Read?!

Michael H.
Industry: Education Management

Quit passing email and documents around!

Reviewed on 2016/08/18

I have a small staff who needs to work together at various times, and usually not in person. We've tried a handful of options (dreaded e-mail chains, Google drive, slack, OneNote, Trello), with varying degrees of success.

But when you get right down to it, the majority of our conversations where revolving around documents. With Quip, that is exactly how this is designed. It is a live document centered experience with the ability to comment, discuss, and update to drive to agreed upon results.

Other packages we would lose our chain of conversation, or a struggle to find the agenda, spreadsheet, plan. Here, these two elements tie together in one spot.

End result for me? Instead of feeling like I was beating on people to keep moving, and often their secretary to help them find what I was talking about, now we work together with faster results and a whole lot less fuss and muss.

Pros

VERY intuitive interface. My staff is resistant to change, and they picked up on this software immediately. Looks good on the web, great on my desktop, and awesome on my phone!

Customer support is astounding. Hit the chat window and someone is there immediately.

Cons

Very minor detail here - more of a feature enhancement request. It would be great to tie in some sort of task management, e.g. something with due dates that alert you.

Andrew B.

Great product for collaboration

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Pros

It is great how you are able to work on the same doc at the same time. I really appreciate the collaboration tools it offers

Cons

There are alerts that get generated every time a change is made - the only way to turn these alerts off is for each user to manually go in and do it themselves. They should have the alerts function at the document level

Jenny M.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Excellent tool to create and manage all your company documents

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

Powerful collaboration platform that helped the team manage documents, projects, and chat—all in one place.

Pros

Quip is one of the few collaborative platforms where it's actually easy to use and also easy on the eyes. The UI needs no guesswork and creating a document and adding people to it is very intuitive.

I like how you can create any type of document (including a kanban board) and every change made to it is made visible to all involved team members. It's also incredibly useful to have a team chat in the same place so we're not switching between apps when discussing the same document.

My favorite feature by far has to be the ability to invite a client to check a document without having to add them as a full user. Although it's tied with the checklists and the nifty ability to work offline if you need to.

Cons

It's a tad pricier than most tools in this same vein. There is also some inconsistency in features between the web and desktop version.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Leslie M.
Industry: Law Enforcement
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Why, Why and Why?

Reviewed on 2019/05/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I am continuously asking 'why does it do that'? The UI does not behave as expected, it is inconsistent and much of what I produce is achieved through trial-and-error (admittedly, I have not had training in Quip, maybe a training course might help to explain some of my Whys).
Examples:
Selecting text bottom up produces a different result to selecting text from the top down.
Only 1 comment per sentence, even though I can select parts of the sentence.
Impossible to figure out what is going on with columns on a page. (Why is there a blue line that extends for 50% of the column?)
Why is the folder name listed AFTER the page name? All other applications list a folder structure as Parent folder followed by Child content.
And finally, why are the predefined formats so inappropriate and not customizable. Their website states "Quip's emphasis on simplicity and on enabling you to create documents that look beautiful and consistent on any device" Sorry to say that it fails. Bullet points and numbered lists that fill 25% of my column with (yet more) white-space are not beautiful.
"

Pros

Short learning curve.
Easy to enter text and pictures.
Keeps a history of changes.
Organize content by folders.
You can chat!

Cons

Very few features.
UI is missing standard functionality.
So much wasted white-space.
Difficult to navigate and organize because there is no folder structure view.
Chat feature does not appear to be related to Quip. (If I want to chat in Quip, I want it to be about specific content, not about the weather or some other totally unrelated topic.)

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Karel K.
Industry: Retail

Quip

Reviewed on 2018/04/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Very modern looking. Everything is where you'd expect it to be, and when used correctly, this software can greatly improve communication between departments and coworkers in your company.

Cons

Custommer Support doesn't always respond right away, but when they do, they're basically always able to help you out

Industry: Design

BEST toothbrush out there!

Reviewed on 2018/10/16

Pros

I love that they mail the new battery and brush head to me every 3 months, so easy to keep up with and make sure that I have a clean, functioning toothbrush.

Cons

The toothbrush head is sometimes hard to pull off, but not too bad. Once I figured it out it was pretty easy to do.

Will G.
Industry: Computer Software

Quip is a great word processing app for sharing and collaborating on your knowledge base

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/04/24

I use Quip to reference our internal Development notes and information on our legacy enterprise project. Search features are good and really enjoy collaboration and commenting.

Pros

I love the ease of tagging users and commenting. I also think that quip does an excellent job of being a collaboration tool. I feel it works best not as a word processing app (Word, Google Docs, OneNote, etc are better for that), but as a living internal knowledge base for your team to contribute to, reference and collaborate on. That is how I use it.

Cons

If you are looking for a Word Processing tool to capture your own writings, Inwould stick with more traditional, ubiquitous tools.

Michael S.

Better Options are Available

Reviewed on 2019/11/19

There are better alternatives available to allow for easy file sharing. Some of these options are even free. There are too many limitations for it to be effective for most businesses.

Pros

Allows for easy file sharing and allows for multiple users to edit the same file. It does a nice job of tracking edits.

Cons

It provides extremely limited options within files. If you try to ingest files from other sources it will not hold any formatting options.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Rick P.

Solid collaboration app but not as feature-rich or as easy to use as the competition

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/01/18

Pros

I was able to use this app effectively to collaborate with a client and her team to produce a fairly complex website. All of us enjoyed the ability to easily add documents, images and other files, and to comment wherever we wanted, and to chat wherever we wanted. Search function was quite powerful, and necessary. However....see below.

Cons

I had to struggle to get the client to use the software as she and her team found the interface confusing and overwhelming in spots. Without the search box, we would have lost track of where comments were made. Chats can strewn all over the place and no one knew exactly where to chat. Too many choices. Eventually, I tried out Asana, and now have settled on Slack.

Bastin H.
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Excellent alternative to G suite

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/15

Happy with its use

Pros

Ability to easily embed pictures in the sheets

Cons

Difficulty in searching across documents/sheets contents

Industry: Higher Education

Not "quip"py enough!

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

Very clean-looking, for sure!
Has nice plugins to draw, have spreadsheets, many others - makes it easy to edit and share. comments can be addressed in one place, and that's great for shared documents.

Cons

Many many features are missing when compared to other document editing softwares like docs or word. It is not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but not very different either. It is lightweight and easy to share, notes can be made well, but not great when it comes to organizing things like oneNote does. It does not give the feel of a notebook, nor an editor - it is almost somewhere in the middle not being sure of which functionality to focus on.

Jockie T.

Team Documents and Communication Under One Roof

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/11/14

Pros

Quip provides users with the ability to create documents, spreadsheets, to-dos, and more under one dashboard. It also have chat features for team communication.

Cons

The look and feel could use some upgrades. For example, the available themes are too limited as there's no way to customize the font.

Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Quip Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

It's easy to allow different permissions and settings for specific users and has a clean look.

Pros

I like that it has a simple and easy to use interface.

Cons

I don't like that I can't easily copy and paste between Quip and Excel.

Gayani K.
Industry: Computer Software
Company size: Self Employed

Send documents easily

Reviewed on 2019/01/25

As a student we use this software in university.

Pros

We can send documents and emails very easily,without a traffic.

Cons

We cannot send documents or other things between two quip accounts.

Joshua C.
Industry: Education Management

Better replacement for Evernote

Reviewed on 2016/07/14

Font choices are great, less cluttered than evernote usage is intuitive. Transfer over from evernote was seamless and a breeze. Glad that evernote started restricting access which made me discover Quip, which is much much better.

Christopher B.

Fun, Simple, Easy!

Reviewed on 2016/07/17

Fun and easy to use. It is typical software that builds in collaboration. This encourages our employees to write down their processes and systems. It is great!

Pros

Very easy to get your thoughts out on paper!

Industry: Entertainment

Great For Large Teams - Pricing Prohibitive For Small Business

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

Pros

It's a really handy, easy to use hub. That part, I like a lot. It's a great blend of tools, executed well.

Cons

The pricing could be better arranged for small businesses with 1-2 person teams, as well as teams where only some members need edit access and others need view-only access.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Mike I.

Like Google Docs for Salesforce

Reviewed on 2019/06/06

Pros

Being able to share docs that include the reports and data stakeholders need to see in one place is very convenient and saves time from needing to email reports.

Cons

Not much, it is easy to use and plugs right into Salesforce.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Good Tool, Depending on Use

Reviewed on 2020/04/09

This is a great tool to store things and communicate back-and-forth if the whole team uses it.

Pros

Quip seems like a quick way to communicate ideas or share files, but I think other tools like slack might be ore efficient.

Cons

I felt like there wasn't a lot of help figuring out how to use this app. I downloaded the mac desktop version and felt turned around with what I was looking for.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Suleyman A.

So cozy and easy to use

Reviewed on 2017/07/12

Pros

The most useful aspect of Quip is its simplicity. It's easy to comment and it's easy to change and see changes and revert to previous versions

Cons

The only small complaint I have is that the text formatting controls are a bit limited.The other problem is how Quip doesn't work well with PDF's. It takes a long time to upload them.

Sarah L.

Great way to store and share docs with my team

Reviewed on 2016/12/05

I love the UI for this software. It's very user friendly and a breeze to use. Like the history thread that shows on the side and the hover formatting options.

Runshan C.

Review for Quip

Reviewed on 2016/09/13

i think i will use quip, and leave gitbook. : )
next time maybe we will ask for a keynote more

Pros

markdown

Cons

slackbot