Shiftboard Reviews

4.4/5 (226 reviews)
Ashley D.

Decent Functionality

Reviewed on 2018/11/19

The software was just what I was looking for in that it lets my staff opt in to events. The tech support is friendly and fast but doesn’t always have a definitive answer for you.

The mobile app turned out to be a great bonus though I wish it had more of the features available for the desktop version.

Overall, I’m very happy with the software and would purchase again in a heartbeat.

Pros

This is the only scheduling software I’ve found that lets employees opt into a shift instead of filling out their availability every week. I work in a catering business so we don’t have consistent work for our servers. They all have school or other jobs to work around their schedule with us. Some of them only work with us twice a month so asking them to keep an updated calendar of their availability is unrealistic. This software lets me post all the shifts and have servers sign up for the ones they want. It’s very helpful. Shiftboard does also have the ability to let staff fill in availability and have management work off that, however.

I also appreciate that I can include notes about the shift and addresses for when we do offsites. The software also lets me divide servers into teams so that they see only the shifts they are eligible for.

Cons

It’s not the most aesthetically pleasing site and takes a while to adjust to the layout, but once you get used to it, it’s fine.

The biggest issues I find is that you can’t export your sign up lists. When I have 40 events in a month, I’d like to print out a list of who signed up for what and work from there, but I have to go shift by shift, typing the results in an Excel sheet instead. Also, there isn’t a way to track who did what change in the system. When I’ve had issues in the past that may have been from a software glitch, they can’t give me an answer as to who changed what and when.

Shifts and rotas without the drama!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/07/30

Overall, we have found Shiftboard to be an incredibly good fit for our non-standard shift scheduling; online rotas are praised by our users for easy access when on-the-move, we find reporting through the exporting of CSV files useful, and it has allowed us to get rid of older overlapping systems that we previously used for shift tracking.

Pros

Shiftboard allows our casual staff members access to shifts via an online portal, which is especially useful as these staff are very rarely in building (unless on-shift). Users report that it is helpful to be able to access shift scheduling through a web browser

On the rare occasion we have needed to contact support they have been very responsive and have answered our queries, and we have found it incredibly useful to be able to pull data out via CSV file for input into other systems that we run (although reporting could be further improved upon).

Adding information that lives in other systems to casual staff individual user profiles means we have been able to decommission several systems that have previously been used to handle staff shifts for our employees. Users can be added to teams and groups to make administration easier.

Cons

From a user’s perspective based on feedback we’ve had, the web-based UI isn’t the most intuitive or clean-looking – I'm not sure how it fares compared to competitor systems but it could do with updating to a more modern look which would improve usability.

Another point raised when receiving feedback from users was that it can seem a bit of a steep learning curve for new staff, but we have started to provide documentation and training for internal use so this is no longer an issue for us.

7.0/10
Rick A.

Review from Woodson YMCA

Reviewed on 2016/11/08

I can't speak enough about Shiftboard and the amount of time and energy that the software has saved myself and other managers. I have no qualms about promoting the product to other departments and facilities.

Pros

I love how the product is able to track certifications. The trade board function has saves me a lot of time and energy. The document function and linking of certification to profile type has also saves time and paper.
I really like that I can now create a schedule and not publish it until I am finished. Schedules we create are often in motion until publication. I like that staff are no longer receiving messages until the schedule is completed.

Cons

To send a message to team members I can either send to 1 or broadcast to all. It would be nice if there was the ability do a check box of multiple members to whom the message could be sent. That way those who we know are neither available or in need of the information will get the message.

Online rotas made easy

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

Allows us to easily rota 500+ staff members

Pros

Producing rotas/schedules for 500+ staff members across multiple teams is no easy challenge. Especially with complex rules and specifications for each of those teams, so the fact that shiftboard even comes close to achieving these results is impressive.

The software is simple and easy to use, particularly for the end users who'll probably appreciate this more than the management who need to implement it.

Has been running for around 5 years now with no significant issues in that time, so again really impressive.

Cons

The reporting can be a little clunky and that's really the only thing that lets this down. Having said that, support staff are very receptive and willing to work with you to produce something bespoke, but feel like this is the one area that could be improved upon to make this truly fantastic.

Shiftboard has a steep learning curve, but is an incredibly powerful tool

Reviewed on 2018/02/16

Significant reduction in overlapping systems. One-stop-shop for lots of scheduling/program needs. A simple way to remind staff of their shifts and inform them of changes.

Pros

It has eliminated many other systems and brought them into one place. It can handle the customization that we need as we operate a less-than-normal staffing system (some seasonal staff, some permanent; some overlapping shifts, some week-long programs, etc.).

The team at Shiftboard has been very responsive to our requests and needs, which is very important.

Given time, I'm optimistic that its reporting abilities will be very useful for anticipating and hiring for future needs. Coming from a world of dozens of complex, non-communicating spreadsheets, it's great to have everything in one place!

Cons

It has a steep learning curve, so be prepared to practice, experiment, and be trained.

They also have not yet implemented shift-linking, so my week-long programs all staffed by the same person can't be treated as one connected system. This means that bulk changes are difficult if we've noticed an issue, and it means that the initial shift setup is quite time consuming.

I wish that the month-long view could be customized to give me more of the information I want, or that we could view data for a 2-week stretch. It's hard to get a birds-eye view of our programming with the systems they have in place.

I'll add that we're relatively new to Shiftboard, and working out the kinks is a part of the process.

Shiftboard is a powerful, albeit clunky, tool for scheduling staff and volunteers

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/02/06

A couple of the events I currently work on used to use Shiftboard to schedule and communicate with large volunteer groups. While it definitely accomplished all the tasks we needed, the interface is dated and there are better tools available for less money.

Pros

Shiftboard is a feature-heavy scheduling tool that, in the right hands, can streamline scheduling and staffing processes immensely for managers. Feature highlights include:
- Bulk adding tools allow managers to work with large groups of staff at once if need be
- Flexible reporting tools that allow you to easily manipulate data (their reports are the feature I miss most)
- Customer service team is receptive to changes and helpful in troubleshooting issues
- Shift swapping and empty shift features allows staff to easily manage their own schedules

Cons

My biggest complaint about Shiftboard when it was our primary scheduling software was that it felt clunky and dated.
- Price point is a good bit higher than competing systems
- Steep learning curve for new users - easy to be overwhelmed by features and a crowded dashboard
- Can be slow and/or cumbersome to accomplish repetitive tasks.
- Interface is dated and looks like it's out of the mid-2000s

Joe R.

Shiftboard makes scheduling easy

Reviewed on 2016/08/30

In event staffing things change quickly and having a scheduling software that was easy to use was a must. Most solutions in the scheduling space to not compare to Shiftboard on the ability to change time/location/uniform/client/event details all from your phone. Currently I manage a staff list of over 500 and I could not it without Shiftboard.

Pros

Straightforward -- Even though there are help FAQs and videos, they are not needed, the interface is self explanatory.

Reporting -- They will customize reports for you but the basic reports export to PDF or Excel for easy editing.

Cost -- Only billing on actually scheduled versus active makes this perfect for companies with seasonal schedules

Cons

A little cleaning up of the interface and some "right click" improvements would be welcome

A near perfect site for coordinating shifts and people

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

A flawless solution for matching volunteers to gigs! I can count on Shiftboard to work everytime, to sign up for shifts, remind me of shifts, give me credit for the shifts I've completed, and to cancel when I have to.

Pros

In my experience, it is the best software for letting people sign up for shifts and for the venue to reach out for volunteers. I have been using it as a volunteer for about three years and have never encountered a glitch. It is extremely versatile and robust. It's easy to assign people to different teams and levels (regular team and gold team for VIP volunteers, for example).

Cons

If I have to answer what I like least, I'd say it's that there is a bit of learning curve to discover all of the features it makes possible. But that's mostly because it will do so much more than the basic.

Shiftboard transformed our organization's personnel scheduling system!

Reviewed on 2017/10/20

Ease of scheduling staff, ease of signing up for shifts by employees, organization of shift calendar that is accessible to all employees

Pros

Once you have a chance to work with it, it makes staffing a breeze. The customer service is fantastic and receptive to all questions. Our multi-generational personnel can all participate in the scheduling process, and different positions have access to different levels of involvement within that process.

Prior to the adoption of Shiftboard for our organization, we used pen and paper to have over 100 employees sign up for various shifts. If pencil was used, staff would sometimes erase someone's shift and sign up in their place. It was a mess. Now everyone can plan their schedules from the comfort of their own home.

Alexander O.

Adequate, but has room for improvement.

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Overall, it is a passable scheduling tool. Having worked with Deputy previously, I am finding the overall user experience somewhat disappointing.

Since the program is not integrating with our payroll system at this time, I am reviewing it solely on the grounds of it's use as a tool for communicating schedules to my staff, and keeping track of who I have working.

In this respect it is just adequate. If changes to shift dates/times/employees are made on short notice, the available schedule visualizations and inelegant user interface make it more frustrating and time consuming to change or delete a shift than it is worth, and the lack of an effective visual representation of the schedule from the employee side means it isn't used as often as I'd like. I often end up using text messages and email to communicate changes instead.

Their willingness to work with my company's billing (Net 60) is greatly appreciated, and this flexibility should be a major selling point for larger organizations.

Pros

- Cost effective.
- Shiftboard accounts receivable is willing to work with you on billing times.
- Good array of features and tools.
- Very good features for bulk assignments and automated help generating a schedule. (Good for large organizations or new sites needing a schedule generated.)

Cons

- Visualizations available for the calendar leave something to be desired.
- Interface and controls are not the most user friendly I've seen.
- Help documentation and live customer assistance is disappointing or non-existent.
- Glitches and uncooperative UI elements have occurred more often than I'm used to.

Christa M.

I use the program to manage hundreds of employees

Reviewed on 2017/10/17

The catalog of all of the past and present employees. There are many people over the 12 years of my management that I have lost track of but this tool helps to jog my memory and helps my team keep track of why or why not we want to have them back. We are an employer that employs most of our team for only 2 months a year, so this type of management is crucial for us.

Pros

I like the ability to look up my employees easily, check their teams and the profile piece is very thorough.

Cons

**When I can't copy and paste a name in the search field.** When I make a mistake in the name and have to delete it and the search field kicks me out and I have to click on it again to type in the name. This doesn't seem like a big problem, but when you are dealing with hundreds of people, it is an annoyance on the regular.

Rowillie R.

Shiftboard has made scheduling and timecard keeping so much easier for my team.

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

Ease of scheduling for me as the hiring supervisor and for my staff to schedule themselves within the parameters our department sets.

Pros

-The ease of scheduling and duplicating set schedules
-Being able to tracker my staff's hours
-Posting empty shifts for staff to pick up when they have sporadic availability
-Ease of trading shifts

Cons

The UI changed sometime ago where in the weekly view that day's shifts aren't differentiated from the rest of the week. So if I wanted to see the full week schedule but also wanted to focus on the current day's shifts without going through the steps of filtering it, I no longer have that function. Also the color scheme is sometimes hard on the eyes.

Robert M.

Major Advantage

Reviewed on 2016/08/27

I have used Shiftboard for 3 years and it has transformed my business. We are able to give staff the luxury of choosing their own shifts.

When anyone asks what time is this or that. I can simply point them to shiftboard.

This has helped me retain people, keep people happy and recruit better people.

Before shiftboard we struggled to keep everyone up to date on late news and updates. Shiftboard allows me to categorize our teams and make specific announcements to them.

I can also run reports, send texts and so much more.

Pros

Flexibility, customization

Cons

Having to email support to make changes to my "on boarding" page.

Lowanda B.

Pupil Transportation

Reviewed on 2019/06/04

In pupil transportation, for drivers to accept and decline trips was manually done and shift board solved the problem. Making the hours even across the driver's pool was also difficult and shift board solved that problem. The system is great for transportation because of all of the features it has. The customer service has also improved a great deal since we have had the service. I would like the clock-in/ out and reports feature to improve. The great thing is we were still able to use the timeclock feature.

Pros

The shifts are easy to add and assign. It also calculates the total of hours.

Cons

The decline does not change colors. The clock in and out feature calculations can be confusing instead of being very simple.

M M.

Decent

Reviewed on 2017/10/16

We are kind of stuck with it because our employees are all learning to use it but we still have to do a lot more communication with them because SB is not user friendly.
We are also constantly reaching out for support because your support team can only do one thing at a time. We can't cover multiple issues with one person or call

Pros

It eventually does what we need it to do.

Cons

Not very user friendly. To cater it to our needs we have to keep creating different teams or groups and it takes a lot of time since we have 300 employees that all fit into several different groups. The texting feature is too expensive and what was told to me in the beginning is not what is being charged

Richard D.

Decent software to use; could use some improvements.

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

It does allow me to keep a calendar of my photography schedule for Victory Views, usually in an easy to use fashion.

Pros

Overall, it is fairly easy to use, once you get it set up. It it usually quick to update in most cases.

Cons

It is confusing sometimes, especially when I add want to add new schools to make appointments for. I have filters of some sort set up, with a list of schools that I somehow set up some time ago. If I am offered a game to shoot photos at, for a team I do not have in that list, I always forget that I need to add that team to the list in my filter so I can see the schedule. It's not easy to see where you need to add it...you add it in "People." Because I don't update that list of schools, I usually forget to do so when a new school appears. Also, there does seem to be some sort of a bug when I download the schedule to my Outlook calendar. It's kind of hard to describe what I see, but, basically, the problem is is that the calendar does not download.

Gregory H.

Very easy to use. Nice system

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

Having everything time stamped so there is no more he said/she said.

Pros

Shiftboard is so easy to set up shifts and change them is necessary as the need arises. This makes scheduling a breeze.

Cons

Wish is had a location exclusion feature so that if there was one location I did not want to schedule for but needed to see all the others it would make my job even simpler. Also it would be nice to see a sort done by length of shifts so that scheduling would not violate any union rules.
It is a little clunky to be toggling between locations to find the longest hours for staff when I have couple of hundred shifts to fill.

Chris E.

Fantastic Software!

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

Pros

I like the various search perimeters for report running. This is a great user friendly system that's easy to teach.

Cons

The Salesforce.com customer base is predominantly B2B. The CRM software is not nearly as well oriented to the B2C industry.Surprisingly, Salesforce.com generally doesnt provide a Service Level Agreement (SLA) for its cloud service unless the customer requests and negotiates it. Even then, SLAs are inconsistent from customer to customer and fall below uptime guarantees of primary SaaS CRM competitors.

Harry M.

Web based scheduling calendar

Reviewed on 2018/09/19

Vast improvement over our old system. And I like that different supervisors can change things.

Pros

I like the fact there are multiple platforms to view the program. I can easily check to see when my next shift is from many places. And my supervisor can schedule me and I can schedule myself. It's easily user definable.

Cons

The filters and views don't save. I have to re-filter every time I open the program. I wish the color scheme could be changed. We have a green/red colorblind person who has trouble reading sometimes.

Conveniently Simple

Reviewed on 2018/02/20

Pros

I like the fact that paper is obsolete, people have the information exactly when they need and can request time off from their kitchen table, when their are with their families and don't have to wait until the Human Resource Office opens on Monday Morning.

Cons

I wish I would integrate with a physical time clock that we use at our particular site. I wish it had a dialer function. That would call people with their schedule and record whether the person actually picked up or if it went to voicemail.

Letty G.

Shift Board is a great program for shifts. The ease to access, change and add are very user-friendly

Reviewed on 2017/10/16

Pros

My favorite thing about Shift Board is that it is very user-friendly. Figuring out the different reports and how to's is significantly easy. The necessary steps are easily identifiable. Thank you!

Cons

The picking of shifts could be made easier by being able to select perhaps, all the desired shifts for a day at a time instead of a shift at a time. It would be nice to be able to breakdown shifts into smaller slots automatically when returned to available status to facilitate the pick-up of the same.

James K.

A different festival

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2016/09/01

We have a diversified group of volunteers and I would expect some to have trouble logging in but almost all of our volunteers have trouble. Some have threatened to quit if they had to use the system

Pros

I like the ability to schedule people.

Cons

Very hard to log into. 80% of our volunteers have failed.

Many screens do not take you back to where you were but make you start over for example you are in persons file and add a team membership you have to find that person again to get back ti him.

The emails are screwed up if they are opened on Outlook.

The availability screen is not by hours.

The settings screen is much to complicated. Should be broken down in more identifiable categories and I have no idea what many of the questions mean.

Response from Shiftboard

Hi James ¿ Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences. We¿re sorry to hear you and your team are having difficulty with Shiftboard. A member of our Customer Success Team will reach out to you shortly to help work through these items. Also, we are in the midst of a significant upgrade to the look-and-feel and usability of Shiftboard. An initial release of these improvements recently became available and your site is scheduled to be upgraded in October. Our team will discuss those changes with you and you can determine if you¿d like to upgrade sooner. Please reach out if there is anything else we can do. Thank you.

Steven B.

A great value, an irreplaceable tool for our organization.

Reviewed on 2018/02/14

It really organizes our musicians extremely well, we have very little confusion now.

Pros

This helps us organize all of our contractors and employees. It gets them all onboard pretty easy and has a lot of powerful tools that have made running our organization much easier. We tried a LOT of different products and this one was the only one that really met all our needs to get everyone scheduled and organized, it is an amazing value for the price they charge us.

Cons

I wish it was easier to sync with 3rd party apps. The good part is making a .csv of data is super fast and easy but I would still like to see it play nice with other products.

Staffing Made Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy

Reviewed on 2019/02/10

I am using Shiftboard to see the shift that I'll be working on for the week. No need to bother the higher ups. Plus in cases of having open shifts because someone has to be out, we get to fill them immediately.

Pros

I love the fact that I can send a broadcast to my team members to let them know that an upcoming shift needs coverage. Plus, it is so easy to maneuver!

Cons

The interface is kind of a bit confusing. It takes a little of getting used to it before you can fully enjoy the features that it offers.

Brenda M.

I truly enjoy the software. It makes the self-scheduling process very easy.

Reviewed on 2017/10/16

I am able to schedule myself and view my schedule on the go.

Pros

I love that I am able to see it on the go on the application. I also love that is up to the minute. If an employee modifies their schedule you can see it in real time (after updating.) You are also able to trade shifts without asking anyone.

Cons

I would prefer having an option to remove some of the departments while I am scheduling myself for my department. It would simplify the process and speed it up for me.