Loomio Reviews

Loomio

Turn discussion into action. Make decisions together.

4.9/5 (15 reviews)
Marianne E.

Great tool for collaborative decision making in member-based organistations

Reviewed on 2016/07/05

We use Loomio in various ways to run our member-led campaigning organisation including:
- a remote Member Review Panel uses Loomio to review, discuss and vote on whether or not we should run each campaign
- our Governance Board uses Loomio for discussions and decisions on issues that need to be addressed in between their face-to-face quarterly Board meetings
- we used Loomio for our members to ask questions about, discuss and then vote on approval of our financial accounts, an amendment to our constitution and the appointment of new Board members
- we use Loomio to plan for and then make collaborative decisions about coalition campaigns run together with allies

Pros

That it is designed specifically to support collaborative decision-making, as opposed to just discussion forums.
That is it simple to navigate, we recently added more than 100 new members to a Loomio group for our AGM discussions and voting threads and the vast majority of them took to it like ducks to water, with no need for much explanation.
That it can be used in a myriad different ways, we can adapt how we use the voting tool to match different kinds of proposals (from a temperature check in a campaign planning discussion through to a formal vote on Board membership)

Cons

It's difficult to put up multiple alternative proposals at the same time, you have to do one at a time and work through the discussions on that proposal before anyone can raise an alternative.

Connor B.

Once you get engagement, it rocks!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Review Source

I've tried using Loomio for a bunch of different projects over the last couple of years, with mixed success. The problem I've found has been in getting people engaged in discussions. I've recently had great success in using Loomio to help run my Kiwiburn theme camp. Kiwiburn is New Zealand's Burning Man event, and my theme camp, Barrio del Chur, is the largest at the festival. We recently realised that we could generate significant capital through fundraising events, and this opened up the need for formal discussions around how we go forward as a community. We were suddenly in need of a legal entity to hold assets which had previously been privately owned and in need a vehicle for decision making that involves significant chunks of money.

While we are yet to reach consensus in our discussions, Loomio has offered the perfect forum for Barrio contributors to voice ideas that are controversial and challenging to the way we've operated thus far, and to allow healthy discourse around all ideas raised. Our community has operated on a do-ocractic model until now, which generally means that the people who have the most time and are skilled in certain areas end up making most of the decisions. We've wanted to change that for the last couple of years. We've been encouraging people who have much to contribute but are silenced by the status quo modus operandi, Loomio has proven the perfect platform for giving these people a voice and a vote in decisions which affect a project that is dear to our hearts.

And then there's all of the amazing writing that has been produced by the Loomio/Enspiral folks which has supplemented our discussions around organisational development! So many of the key questions that have been raised in our discussions regarding the Barrio have already been dealt with during the conception of Enspiral ventures, due to the comparable flat structures, shared purpose, and people-over-process approaches. There's a wealth of knowledge within this community, and it relates so well to how to use Loomio to make decisions effectively.

Pros

ahhhh see above, I guess.

Cons

Sign in systems suck! I don't wanna sign in every time I come back, and things have been weird and messy when I have one google account that ties together 3 email addresses (one primary @gmail, two secondary @customdomain), Loomio is attached to the google account but then it freaks out when one of the secondary emails receives an invitation to join a new Loomio.

The inbox dashboard kinda sucks too. it's overwhelming seeing that there's activity in so many discussion threads, I don't know where to start so sometimes I don't start anywhere.

Stacco T.

The spirit of collaboration embodied in software that matters

Reviewed on 2016/07/07

Loomio is an invaluable tool for the P2P Foundation, both internally and for the larger network that we work with. It embodies many of the dynamics and collaborative interactions we try to promote. I can't think of a better fit.

Pros

I have been using Loomio for more than three years now. It has always been very intuitive and, with time, it has only gotten more user friendly. The Loomio crew are always there to help out and be supportive.

Cons

Initial kinks have pretty much been worked out. I think some people find it hard to adopt, but that may be down to individual bias than any fault on the platform itself.

Murdoch S.

Essential to running a small, busy group

Reviewed on 2016/07/06

Loomio fills a huge gap in the tech world by offering a simple tool that allows for not only conversations but decisions on issues important to small groups. I use it to run a small community art gallery as well as to participate on a board that governs a small NGO. If we'd had to do it the old way of meeting once a month we'd take much longer to make decisions and they'd be nowhere near as rich as they are now. And this is coming from someone who has been using it since 2012. An essential tool

Pros

The founders are truly doing it from a sense of collective goodwill so there is no worry about information leaking out or data being sold or compromised.

Cons

Nil.

Iona E.

More efficient decision making for committees

Review Source

Began using on a recommendation for a committee I head. The challenge for us was getting together at a time and place that suited everyone. Because of this, meetings were less frequent than needed and went on too long. Taking action became very delayed.

Loomio enabled us to have our discussions when they were needed and come to quick decisions even if people were on holiday - they could still check in. It made sure everyone was heard and all members committed to the decisions. A very valuable tool that has saved us days worth of time that many of us have very little of.

Pros

Wherever anyone is they can still be involved in committee decisions - not geographically restricted.
Used instead of meetings which can be a challenge to get everyone to.
Decisions can be made quickly so plans could be actioned quickly.

Cons

Older members initially found the technology a challenge but came up to speed.

Reduced my emails!!

Review Source

Loomio has been so important in helping groups I work with come to consensus on stuff. It reduces back and forth emails and also shows a "paper" trail of how you made what decisions. Great for new people joining the team.

Pros

Simple. Does what I need it to you.

Cons

Still in development. "Another app" that people have to sign up for

Nanz N.

Easiest way for a large network to make decisions together.

Reviewed on 2016/07/06

I've used Loomio daily for nearly two years to make decisions with my group. It's been the easiest way for us to convert discussion into action and to iterate to get group agreement. Also Loomio is one of the few organisation that lives its values of non-hierarchy, open source, co-design. ++

Vivien M.

collaboration leadership

Review Source

mostly we lean about organisational life in hierarchies, so everyone has to be invited into decision making, adding their voice, building new ways of doing things. Loomio makes that easy in very practical and day to day ways. We use it for involving staff in policy creation and signoff, meeting agenda design, sharing minutes from meetings with a whole group, sub committees of the Board use it, and the health safety and wellbeing staff group use it to connect with all staff.

Pros

easy, flexible and does the job, super cost effective

Cons

features in discussion thread could be richer

Francesca P.

Great tool for distributed community organizing!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2016/07/10
Review Source

We've been using Loomio for over one year now within our international community to make decisions but also to replace discussions that used to take place on Facebook. It has had a huge impact on how we communicate internally, enabled people that used to be less active to take part in discussions more easily and helped us become much more transparent in terms of make decision making and information sharing.

Marianne E.

Nandini 'nanz' N.

David H.

Improve Clarity and Consensus around Key Decisions

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

We're using it on the board of the farmer's market (imagine how contentious 50 different vendors scaled from $5000/yr to $2,500,000/yr in revenue each with attendant worldviews can get).

Participation is easy and keeps us on track and engaged month to month. Would highly recommend to dispersed teams, especially if already using Slack.

Make a proposal!

Pros

Clear, focused on decision making
Co-operative!

Cons

Nothing, yet. Seems like development could be better funded, but I think its open source

Cam F.

Reviewed on 2016/07/12

Mike S.

Make decisions without meetings

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/09/18

Pros

I like the thought put into the different kinds of decisions one can make with this software. Creators put thought into it.

Cons

I'm not partial to the aesthetic but it's functional which is all I can ask for.

Mohamed H.