AbacusLaw

Law practice management for future-focused firms

Danielle B.

All in One Solution

Reviewed on 2021/01/08

Abacus has a lot of integrations it makes it easy to use. We love the outlook integration which links emails. Overall we love the tool. It could use some updates on the intuitive side, but it has proven to be invaluable when it comes to case organization.

Pros

We use AbacusLaw Daily. It is how we track all of our cases and move them through our litigation process. Abacus allows us to see all the movement that one case goes through in the life cycle. We specifically love the reminders feature, being able to create our own queries in reports, and being able to customize our case and intake screens.

Cons

The reporting tool is not really user friendly, but we learned how to make it work for us not against us.

Laurie C.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Good not Great, but what is...

Reviewed on 2020/05/05

Our billable hours have increased, due to the ease of use of the timekeeper processes.

Pros

Linking ability between names, matters, the calendar and to email.

Cons

Least favorite is so ironic. In Abacus Accounting retainers are painstaking and excruciatingly burdensome to keep track of and requires manual allocation to timekeepers.

Evelyn M.

Extremely bad customer support

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

Used to be a good product. Has consistently declined in quality of the product and a vast decline in technical support. I have used the program for more than 10 years and was happy until about three years ago when technical support became a complete joke.

Pros

I have it installed and it is easier to keep using it than to take the time from my practice to switch.

Cons

Technical support. Can't reach technical support by hold. It leaves you on hold and then cuts you off forcing you to leave a call back. Long call back time. Also, that assumes that I have nothing to do with my time except to sit around and wait for a call and that I won't be meeting with a client and unavailable when a call comes.

Debbie A.

Great calendering program.

Reviewed on 2020/05/11

Abacus if the only legal software I have used. it was is in place when I started with the firm and I have never had any formal training. There is so much more to Abacus than we utilize but to get the help I need, it costs extra. I was not at the firm for the initial set up so if there was any training offered, i did not get it.

We briefly switch from Abacus to another produce but it did not meet our needs so we switched back.

Pros

Deadlines are a big and important part of our every day function. Abacus calendaring makes it easy to keep track of the deadlines and also important hearings and meetings.

Customer service is always very helpful.

Cons

Abacus Knowledge Base does not always have helpful information when I need to figure out something new.

When adding a new attorney the last name box is highlighted, when you tab to the next box it is the ID box instead of the first name box or another box that you actually need to add information. This is frustrating because an ID number is not something you change or add each time you add a new name.

When adding a "bill to" person, an accounting screen for the billing is opened. When you click the box next to Open Advanced Billing Options on save, then done, extra steps have to be taken to actually get to the billing screen to enter additional information.

We don't us Abacus forms because they are not easy to set up. With the forms we do have set up, many times we have to make adjustments each time we use them so it is not worth the time or hassle to do so and we end up creating the document with out using Abacus forms. It costs extra for any help to create these forms.

Keelin B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Good if you make additional significant investment into tailoring it to your firm's needs.

Reviewed on 2020/03/27

Abacus is probably best for an office with existing procedures and forms that is willing to make a significant investment into customizing and maintaining Abacus, including having at least one Abacus-designated point person who develops intensive understanding of Abacus. A point about customization: you need to think through your process. For some, a more "plug and play" program may help you to figure out your process.

Pros

Potential flexibility because of many functionalities. We use it every day to track matter activity, coordinate schedules, meet deadlines, retrieve critical information, and bill clients.

Cons

Cannot use many features without hiring expensive Abacus professional because program is not intuitive. Numerous online resources, including knowledge base and trainings, but difficult to find what I need when I need it.
Reports and queries: Odd that in our present "plug and play" world, reports are poorly formatted and queries difficult to use.
Email integration: Does not integrate with our google suite, only Outlook.
Customer Support: Expertise and availability has declined, although still reasonable, if more time consuming.

Gary A.

Abacus Cloud

Reviewed on 2020/03/30

I am a sole practitioner concentrating on Worker's Compensation, Personal Injury, and Municipal Court cases. My calendar and "corporate knowledge" of my cases has improved a lot. My staff likes the software. I highly recommend it.

Pros

I have been using Abacus since 2004. I just transitioned from using on my local server to having it and my IT hosted on the Cloud. Abacus is logically organized in a flexible way that allows me to categorize my notes in a way which really suits my practice. It is pretty easy for my staff to learn. It has an abundance of features, including some that I have not yet explored. As an Attorney, I really like the calendar and reports function. As an employer, I really like its document production feature.

Cons

Occasionally I have problems printing envelopes from a separate envelope printer, especially when adding a new computer to the network.

Leigh R.

My experience with Abacus

Reviewed on 2020/06/01

Generally Abacus suits my purposes well. I cannot imagine the effort it would take to switch to another system, there is so much critical information in my system that has accumulated over the years and which I can, and do, access.

Pros

I have been using this software since 2000, I think. I don't know all the tricks, but to manage time and client information it is wonderful.

Cons

When not updated regularly it doesn't function as well. Sometimes updating can be a nightmare.

Response from AbacusNext

Hi Leigh!

My name is Natalie and I'm on the Marketing Team at Abacus. I wanted to reach out and say thank you for the feedback! It's great to hear that AbacusLaw has been a great resource for you during this crazy time.

I wanted to reach out to see if you would be interested in being one of our first customers to film a video review? We'd love to include you in this cool new project!

Please let me know if you are interested!

Natalie

Valerie H.
  • Industry: Legal Services

AbacusLaw Review

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

We have used AbacusLaw for at least the 18 years I have been employed and are very satisfied with the product. Helps to keep our office on top of calendaring events for our litigation cases, i.e., meetings, discovery deadlines, depositions and trials.

Pros

I work for a small firm, so we only using the calendaring system. I do like the ease of going into the calendar and just clicking on a particular day to enter my calendar event. I especially like the software for preparing trial calendars.

Cons

When I print my weekly calendar and there is a holiday that week, I have to remove "holiday" in order to print the full information for the holiday event (i.e., Court and Office Closed), otherwise it cuts it off. Once I print the calendar I have to go back in to add the holiday back, so it will continue to show up for the following year. Not a major problem, just a little inconvenient.

Vicki C.
  • Industry: Accounting

Solid Product

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

I really like Abacus. They've been 100% there when I've had any type of issue. Speedy resolution. Great customer service.

Pros

The support team is fantastic. I was new to this software (or any type of law software) and received no training. They have been wonderful any time I've had any type of question.

Cons

There have been a few glitches that needed software updates. But the support team is always available and resolve any issues quickly.

Response from AbacusNext

Dear Vicki,

Thank you for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. At AbacusNext, client service is very important to us. It's good to hear our support team has been able to help any time you've had a question and has resolved issues quickly.

Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come.

Warmly,

Katie Ternes
Marketing Coordinator
AbacusNext
(858) 882-4882

Constance S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Very pleased with this product.

Reviewed on 2016/07/22

Pros

Abacus offers a comprehensive system including case management, financial accounting and cloud storage. I think you can choose either one of the components or all of them. I prefer having case management and financial accounting all in the same program and a cloud environment is a must for me. So I have all three with Abacus.

Cons

The component that is missing at this time is a client private portal. Would be great to post client records there as opposed to having to mail everything to them. The cloud based component also intermittently goes offline depending upon the quality of one's internet connection. And, the cloud interface with Outlook and Word has a few minor glitches wherein Outlook does not always respond quickly when adding attachments to e-mails. The quick fix is to end the task one is working on through task master and start over.
Lastly, the forms base is relatively small. That is probably due to my inexperience with macro forms development. In any case, I have not yet used their forms much.

Jordyn G.

Great Product

Reviewed on 2020/11/18

Great software. It keeps everything organized and is super easy to use for all purposes, including billing. Would highly recommend.

Pros

Easy to use. Great and simple product but powerful in that it tracks everything for you.

Cons

The updates are a pain, because we have to call and have this done remotely. We can't do the updates ourselves.

Susan D.

The Goods and the Bads of Abacus

Reviewed on 2018/08/15

Pros

On the law side of Abacus it is substantially a good system to use. The organization, ease of use, and the multiple tools allow the law side to run smooth and easy with little to no problems. Things such as client entry, event posting, and much more have become much easier over time with the multiple updates and fixes. Overall the law side software is a well created system.

Cons

The Accounting side of Abacus has many little problems within it that overall cause the functionality of abacus to become less effective. Things such as tables not communicating with each other and the software crashing due to simple tasks such as voiding checks are some of the many problems that occurs. Without fixing these issues, the overall effectiveness and efficiency of abacus accounting will only continue to diminish.

Carolyn S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

AbacusLaw works well but comes with a hefty price tag

Reviewed on 2020/05/05

Overall, I have liked AbacusLaw but I have no used other case management systems so I cannot comment on how it compares to competitors.

Pros

I like the calendar and names/matters features - this makes it easy to link a client to various other people involved in their case, and make sure that we can stay on top of deadlines. The "link email to client matter" feature seems very useful but I have been unable to make it work long-term (e.g., if I enable that setting one day, it will not still be enable the next time I log in).

Cons

The "medical providers" tab only has ten slots to input treating providers, and it is prohibitively expensive to pay to add another tab (perhaps the system is designed that way intentionally to generate additional revenue).

Paul R.

Finally got organized with the help of Abacus

Reviewed on 2017/02/23

Our firm is small (10 staff). We aren't tech savvy, use mostly MACs with a few PCs. We've been "functioning" without a real system for collaboration- a mix of online web services (Clio), software (Microsoft Office) ad hoc of course, your typical office. We all agreed a few months back that we HAD to change, pick one system that worked for everyone. At a bar event I learned Abacus. Their demos convinced us, we moved everything into their private cloud with AbacusLaw. AbacusLaw is desktop software, like an application you would run on your own desktop, but, they 'put' it into a cloud that you can log into from any computer or mobile device, even a phone, and use Windows. It's hard to believe it works as seamless as it does. There was a learning curve using their software, at least for me, and we had a remote trainer teach us all the basics and how to input everything into matters. The calendaring is wonderful. I feel like even after training we only use 10% of what the software has, so I am looking forward to learning more. Overall it wasn't painless moving, nor is this a cheap setup, but, I'm glad we did, I feel like we really improved how the practice runs, and would do it again. Hope this helps you.

Pros

I like that I can access AbacusLaw on anything, MacBook, phone, and see my files and use AbacusLaw like I'm at work. The program itself has some automation I have really needed, rules and form fills. Reporting in a dashboard.

Cons

It's pretty comprehensive and I wish I had more time to learn about it. I just use what I use today.

Tim O.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Had great customer support experience. Have used Abacus for 15 years.

Reviewed on 2018/07/20

Helps run my day to day efficiently

Pros

Makes calendaring events easy, links emails to files, handles billing. Customer support is helpful and efficient. I haven't had a problem they couldn't walk me through in just a few minutes. Support is helpful for both technical and administrative questions

Cons

Billing software is cumbersome and difficult to use. It is difficult to change time or, particularly, expenses once you've put them in. Email link is a bit "buggy" and doesn't always automatically like my emails to the matter.

Barzin S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great system for a good price

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

It's saving my neck everyday. I love it.

Pros

All encompassing bot front office and back office management.
Fantastic customer support.
monthly fees better than reasonable. not at all expensive.
Awesome billing and invoicing.
RULE BASED CALENDARING. so important. to me. I don't have to spend hours finding deadlines related to an event.

Cons

Software glitches and malfunctions.
Online service (to host my system) is a bit out of my price range, but I don't know if it's unreasonable. I just can't afford it.

Vicki B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

We have both the case management and accounting software, and use the Balance services.

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

The dashboard is a great feature to get a snapshot of your business. It's also great having the case management and accounting package together in one solution.

Pros

Regarding the Balance services: CSR was the amazing asset to the Balance Program and to Abacus. She' is professional and exceptionally knowledgeable. She takes the time to educate and suggest better practices, and her customer service skills are excellent. She is wonderful to work with, and manages to take the stress out of bookkeeping.

Cons

Some screen layouts are counter-intuitive, and some reports that would be considered basic reports are considered custom and are only available for a fee.

Lianna A.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Helpful program for running a law office

Reviewed on 2020/07/27

Overall experience has been good.

Pros

This program for the most part is very easy to use. As with all software there a few changes that could be made, but overall we have been happy.

Cons

Some of the accounting procedures are a bit clunky. What should be an easy fix in some accounting software can be time consuming in Abacus. With that said, their support desk is always helpful in helping you work through any issues you may have.

Daniel L.

Abacus infrastructure

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

It is a soso product. We feel trapped into using it. The storage space available is very small and very expensive.

Pros

The product is easy to use. The interface between Outlook works well.

Cons

We have trouble syncing to mobile devices. The calendar does not transfer well. Also, the disk storage is very limited. We should be able to sync with outside cloud storage if Abacus does not want to provide.

Hollie Z.

Second to None!

Reviewed on 2018/08/14

Again, I could not imagine operating our firm without Abacus. The ease of use and the structure of our client files. Abacus is perfect!

Pros

This software is very easy to use and has so many features. Abacus keeps our client files/information so orderly and I cannot imagine operating our business without it.

Cons

There was a glitch with the dates on the birth years of our clients wherein the system was defaulting to 2000 instead of 1900.

Debbie L.

Amicus

Reviewed on 2018/09/17

Pros

We use Amicus Attorney. We like the conflict checks that Amicus offers and the integration with Outlook. We like how you can do everything you need to do within each client file. It is exactly like opening a file folder.

Cons

We us QB for our accounting and Amicus links with QB but with constant problems. I would like to see Amicus work on a better link with QB.

Robyne L.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Excellent product for the legal industry

Reviewed on 2020/03/26

Pros

I find Abacus crucial in keeping my calendar and appointments. Abacus Mobile allows me to track my appointments on my phone. I also find the accounting program crucial in keeping track of my billing hours and my monthly billing.

Cons

My only critique is that when my first five year contract expired, the cost almost doubled.

Gary M.

Accounting

Reviewed on 2020/05/11

I've been with Abacus for more than 20 years. The program has improved except for accounting.

Pros

I liked the integrations of forms and billing.

Cons

The accounting system is difficult to use. If your clients pays you more than the invoice amount, it takes a call to support. Accounting needs a lot of work for imputing payments and credits.

Yvonne E.

Customer Support works diligently

Reviewed on 2018/09/11

The last few support people we have worked with have been good. They were able to solve the problem, even though they didn't always know why the software did what it did.

Pros

This is an easy to use product. I like the ease involved in correcting time tickets to post bills.

Cons

It's "buggy." We seem to have to call on customer support often. Also, it's disheartening that the accounting software isn't "transparent" in its math calculations. we have a hard time getting the numbers to add up and match when we compare and cross check.

Abacus review

Reviewed on 2018/08/23

It's nice to always have our contacts and cases in one place. There are still many things we need to learn to use this program to its full potential.

Pros

Everything is in one program and able to access it all easily

Cons

We always have problems with our updates each year. Abacus is really good about fixing it but still a pain to have to call tech support to get it fixed.