AbacusLaw

Law practice management for future-focused firms

Tami
  • Industry: Law Practice

Have a law office? you need ABACUS!

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

I feel that if you are an attorney, or work for one, you need AbacusLaw. They have pre-created tasks that you can begin with, or you can create your own specific guidelines for whatever type of law you practice. I had created a timeline that was "to-the-day" for bankruptcy documents to be filed in the Federal Court, and other tasks with clients to complete and file in a timely manner- it was a well-oiled timeline! If somebody practices family law, ie: divorces, child custody, child support- you could create a timeline to file documents as required. Personal Injury attorney or Estate Planning- Criminal law, so many options - Abacus is the program (tool) that helped me to get my jobs done, on time!

Pros

I have worked for two separate law offices since 1998. My first time using Abacus in 1998 (we call her "ABBY") I felt a little overwhelmed- but as I learned HOW the system worked- I LOVED it! I rely on ABBY for everything! I like knowing WHERE the client's file is, whether it is on someone's desk or in the attorney's briefcase, or tucked away in the filing cabinet- it saves time when searching a large or even small office for a file- just click on the client's Matter and look for "LOCATION" and BAM! it tells me the last entered location! ABBY keeps track of notes, events, tasks/to-do's, court hearings, appointments- anything that is important to your office. When a client comes in to the office or calls, I can easily pull up ABBY and see what notes or tasks that others have placed in the system for that client, then I can easily help the client do what they need to do, like print out documents for them to sign - or maybe collect a payment for something- I can help the client without having to pull others away from what they are doing. I have found ABBY to be an AWESOME TOOL for the law office- ABBY is right up there with the scanner, copier and telephone! Cannot run a business without any of those!!

Cons

the ONLY 'bad' thing, is if the HUMAN does not enter their tasks or to-do's, or utilize ABBY as intended. ABBY is like a car, she is not going to go anywhere unless you put the tasks, to-do's, hearings, location of a file, etc. in her. Train the employees to utilize ABBY for your office's needs, and there will be no 'negative' anything regarding ABACUS.

David

Solo practitioner using Abacus

Reviewed on 2021/05/13

When I consistently enter time, the software works smoothly for me. Creating invoices is easy, as is correcting time entry errors. If I fall behind the software has no impediments to catching up on time entries. I've looked at switching to another program and concluded that the benefits of functionality I will not use are not worth the learning curve.

Pros

The bottom line is that Abuscu does everything that I need and has added bells and whistles that would be valuable in my practice. Once I figure out how to use a function it works well for me. Learning how to use most functions easy. Beyond basic time tracking, adjusting my working style to Abacus Law has been an obstacle. The problem is mine than the software. I've learned to use certain functions that would be valuable to me, but I have not been able to adopt them. I don't think another application would be better. The bottom line is that Abuscu does everything that I need and has added bells and whistles that would be valuable in my practice.

Cons

The software feels like it was written 20 years ago and not updated to a better user-interface. I wish that there were a simple to use app for my smartphone. Abacus may have that for its cloud product, but the cost difference made me lose interets. The online help is daunting, but the telephone support is terrific. It's an adequate balance. I wish there was a way to export billing data to Quickbooks. My accountant knows QB. I can't impose on him to learn Abacus accounting. I'm using a program that tracks my computer use by app and even collects screenshots. Something like that would be a wonderful addition.

Lindsey

Hands down would NOT buy

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

I would highly recommend choosing a different case management software. The program does not feel like it was designed by attorney's, and the company clearly wants to lock users in to a long term contract because they know their product is inferior and it is the only way they can retain their customer base.

Pros

I really have not found anything I like about this software. If I had to pick something, I would say the timer function works fairly well.

Cons

This software is the worst case management software I have used. The software repeatedly freezes and it is not intuitive or user friendly. Billing, which ties into AbacusAccounting, is extremely difficult to use. Unlike in other software, you cannot just edit a pre-bill with ease. It also lacks the integration that other software has. When you take into account the long term contract of five years, the inability to terminate that contract without buying it out, and the terrible customer service, the product actually costs you more than any time you would theoretically save using it. Furthermore, you are permitted to add users but never to cancel a user, effectively meaning if your Firm face a downturn, you would still be locked in to pay for users no longer with the Firm.

Response from CARET

Hello Lindsey,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with AbacusLaw. We want every user to see the benefits of our products and design our offerings with your interests in mind. One of the best ways to make the most of your technology and see positive ROI is to invest in product training.

Your customer success manager will be reaching out to you soon to check in and escalate any issues to our Support team.

All the best,

The team at AbacusNext

Eric
  • Industry: Legal Services

We have relied on this software as one of our primary organizational tools for over five years.

Reviewed on 2018/04/01

It is a mostly comprehensive business-management tool

It is a mostly comprehensive business-management tool

Pros

The Abacus software, now on Abacus Private Cloud, almost always is functioning properly, and is accessible from anywhere, anytime. After our experience, we would now not use anything that is not cloud-based, particularly being in a city highly prone to power-outages, floods, and hurricanes.
We have found the software to steadily improve in features and speed. The customer service is the best I have experienced very particularly in the software industry. The techs are all very knowledgeable and carefully resolve every inquiry. They are also available very quickly, an absolute anomaly in the software business.
The calendering component, as others have observed, is a key strong-point. The linking in of all events, documents, e-mails, and notes into one accessible electronic folder provides the convenient efficiency that you will frequently use.
It is possible to scan documents directly to the cloud case file from your local computer - an important step-saver.
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, when installed, functions on the APC desktop.
You will need reasonably strong, consistent Internet connections. Airport terminals are mostly unusable work locations even with a "jet-pack" or cell-phone "hot-spot."

Cons

This is a powerful software tool. As such, except for the calendar, it is not a "plug & play" system, except for the most computer-fluent users. To fully utilize its comprehensive features will take a commitment to initial as well as ongoing learning while taking the daily, time-consuming steps to precisely link all activities back to the case file. However, the added work will and must obviate the paper file.
The queries, forms, and reports functions are all very valuable but are far too complex to user-initiate, and each requires ongoing custom installation by the provider.
Cost-effective file collaboration with outsiders is not possible, therefore an added cloud account and the expense is required along with the time of copying and moving sizeable files.
Changing accounting from existing into the integrated system is a major transition to be carefully evaluated in advance. Maintaining the current accounting system, at least temporarily, will be required.
This software must be your primary organizational tool as it will grow into a weighted expense that is justifiable only if it is the key resource.
The software does crash daily when trying to interact with Outlook for file linking of e-mails. It can usually be resolved with a quick re-start.
Initiating printing is quite slow and getting slower but understandable with a remote server.
Microsoft Office, Adobe Pro, and Reallegal depo transcription all work very well here. Some other applications do not at all.

Devan

Excellent Technical Support

Reviewed on 2017/06/13

Does just about everything I need to for law firm practice management, once I've tinkered with it enough.

Pros

Because I am a power user, I am able to make it do everything I want . There is not any other PM software out there that is as customizable. However, that comes with a cost in usability (more on that below).

However, I have had excellent technical support. I had an issue that I could not solve on my own. I called CS and, although they were not able to resolve it in that session, I was impressed with the thoroughness of the work and the help offered. They went above and beyond to to try to ID the issue. After tinkering around more, I called back with more info and was connected to another tech who was able to resolve the issue. Both had excellent professionalism and telephone demeanor.

I was very impressed by these two experiences and with the quality of the technicians. This was much better service than I expected and there are only a few companies who have provided this quality of support.

Cons

There is a cost to customizability. That is that it can be quite difficult for a non-computer-guy to set up beyond basic calendaring and contact tracking. The workflow and database relationships are not particularly intuitive. Even simple things like creating a search query take more computer knowledge than most attorney will have. Setting up reports or calendar rules is extremely user-unfriendly. Without my computer background I could never have done it.

Because I'm a power user, I can adapt it to meet all of our needs. But out-of-the-box, it's a little too generic to be really useful for most attorneys, even with the "Special Editions." The attorney who referred me to Abacus uses it as nothing more than a calendar and client contacts and it's too expensive to use it that way.

Barzin

Affordable; complete; intuitive

Reviewed on 2017/06/28

This software allows me to run my small law firm without having to hire full time assistants and automates about 80% of my administrative tasks.

Pros

1. Affordable: Having purchased similar software years ago and having paid an amount for it, I knew that the cost of a new firm management software that handled both front office and back office matters was going to be a major obstacle for me. Particularly if I wanted the software to be resident on my computer as opposed to web-based. But, with the monthly payment plan that Abacuslaw offers, it was very easy to sign up.
2. Complete management solution. There are very few programs around that offer both a full management software and a full accounting software to attorneys. Most of the software out there offers a billing component, but not a full accounting solution. With Abacuslaw, I can have both for the same price. I don't have to have another accounting software like QuickBooks pro to handle the accounting of my office.
3. The software is very easy to use. Most of the time, I can figure things out by myself without much training. But, to the extent I need training, I can find videos on YouTube or worst case scenario, I can sign up for their affordable one on one instructions.
4. Really good support staff: My questions or problems are usually answered and resolved on the same call into the office. Very responsive and knowledgeable support staff and extremely cooperative and helpful.
5. I've done lots of research. Not too many companies with the same level of service and features for the same price. Highly recommend it.

Cons

1. Glitches. While support staff is very responsive, the number of glitches is at times distracting. I would say that I average about maybe one glitch every three months or so. But it is dealt with very soon.
2. Data migration: The only major problem I had with Abacus law was their data migration. I was migrating from Amicus online and they could not transfer my data. Finally, the only thing they were able to migrate was my case information. I had to reenter my financial data myself. My suggestion is to make sure that they understand what format you are migrating from and get a firm commitment from them that they can handle the migration without problems.
In the end, though, the drawbacks are so small, compared to the benefits that the minor complaints I have don't even register.

Vanya

AbacusLaw is the heart of my practice.

Reviewed on 2016/07/26

I have been an AbacusLaw customer since 1998. I believe I was the first accountant to try and adapt your matters based program to a client based usage. We spent many hours adapting your improvements every year to insure that I could continue to manage my accounting practice through your program. It was a challenge, but the results are well worth it. I have a data file that has a record of every appointment, every phone call, what IRS agent is assigned to what case, etc., since 1998, for over 5500 tax clients.I have a record of every bill sent to our business clients since we started using Abacus Accounting to manage our receivables. I believe so strongly in this program that, when I joined H&R Block 3 years ago, I demanded a clause allowing me to put this program on their computers. After investigating your program, their tech team recommended that the clause is allowed in my contract, a very rare concession by H&R Block. They have since designed a program for appointments, which is free, and which I am required to use. So we make our appointments in AbacusLaw first then input them into the AM. It takes a little more time but it is worth it. When a client says they have not heard from us, I print out the Abacus record of contact, showing the date and time calls were made and what messages were left. It immediately tames the angry beast and I usually get an apology. This program is the heart of my business. I would be lost without it.

Pros

Their support is absolutely the best. In the very unusual event that I need support, they always remember me, are friendly and super knowledgeable. Usually I am asking for a workaround to make their program do something it isn't designed to do. They could just impress me off, but they really try to make it work the way I need it, and they usually find a way. Having client info at my fingertips makes me look very efficient and very competent.

Debbie

Great calendering program.

Reviewed on 2020/05/11

Abacus if the only legal software I have used. it was is in place when I started with the firm and I have never had any formal training. There is so much more to Abacus than we utilize but to get the help I need, it costs extra. I was not at the firm for the initial set up so if there was any training offered, i did not get it.

We briefly switch from Abacus to another produce but it did not meet our needs so we switched back.

Pros

Deadlines are a big and important part of our every day function. Abacus calendaring makes it easy to keep track of the deadlines and also important hearings and meetings.

Customer service is always very helpful.

Cons

Abacus Knowledge Base does not always have helpful information when I need to figure out something new.

When adding a new attorney the last name box is highlighted, when you tab to the next box it is the ID box instead of the first name box or another box that you actually need to add information. This is frustrating because an ID number is not something you change or add each time you add a new name.

When adding a "bill to" person, an accounting screen for the billing is opened. When you click the box next to Open Advanced Billing Options on save, then done, extra steps have to be taken to actually get to the billing screen to enter additional information.

We don't us Abacus forms because they are not easy to set up. With the forms we do have set up, many times we have to make adjustments each time we use them so it is not worth the time or hassle to do so and we end up creating the document with out using Abacus forms. It costs extra for any help to create these forms.

Shar

I love Abacus!

Reviewed on 2020/12/11

Pros

I was first introduced to Abacus at my prior law firm. I was familiar with a different case management software from another law firm. I was happy to be able to convince my current employer to obtain this very useful tool for our firm. I use it daily and am nearly lost without it. The main function for our office is the calendaring system which is amazing and is easily customizable for our needs. I am aware that the software does 80% more; however, it is an excellent value just the way we utilize it.

Cons

The only negative thing I have to report is, years ago for some odd reason, the customizing I had done to the trial calendar disappeared. Customer service individual who was extremely patient and knowledgeable, was able to correct it and return it to my customized settings.

Tele
Tele
  • Industry: Legal Services

No cancellations. Bad Software. Do not install locally.

Reviewed on 2020/08/28

When you resort to "we have a contract" with dissatisfied customers, you step decades in the past of bad business practice. I soon as I saw an issue, I addressed it and requested cancellation. No buyers remorse, just bad software.

Pros

The sales presentation and the installation technician was very knowledgeable.

Cons

The installation of the software was very time consuming and complicated. The technician had to make several changes to my system to make it work.

Software corrupted multiple files and made my MS Office and Norton Antivirus inoperable.

Mobile app inoperable.

As soon has my MS Office and Norton Antivirus stopped working after the installation, I requested to cancel. The salesperson said ok. After a month, nothing happened and now I am told that "we have a contract". Wow.

Response from CARET

Hi Tele,

I'm sorry for your experience. It looks like the team is currently working to resolve the issue that arose with installation of your PALs package. I'm hoping this sets you up for success in the future.

Sincerely,
The AbacusNext Team

Samuel

Abacus Can Help

Reviewed on 2020/03/23

Pros

We have used Abacus since 2010, so 10 years. Abacus helped us to automate law billing. The program also features an excellent data base for notes as well as emails per client. It is fast in terms of locating electronic documents. Its technical support is also helpful.

Cons

The biggest feature to improve would be Abacus message slips. I have been trying for over a year to fix the app's propensity to suddenly disappear and then, days later, inform me of the number of messages I have received. BIlling software can be improved dramatically to make it more user friendly.

Clio

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

2010

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

The other programs were cloud based and the effort to retool to one of those seemed to be way too expensive. In addition, I particularly like the data based system Abacus offers, which categorizes documents, emails to and from clients per matter. Neither Clio or Practice Panther offered this feature.

Response from CARET

Hi Samual,

We are sorry for the issues you've run into with AbacusLaw and messaging. We have escalated your issue to our client services team and you will be hearing from the team shortly. We sincerely would like to make sure you are set up properly for success with our product.

The AbacusNext Team

Kayle
  • Industry: Law Practice

Support is nothing short of phenomenal! We switched from Amicus to Abacus and are very happy.

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

We did the switch because of the buy-out of amicus but have been very happy with the change. We are doing everything through the cloud and it has been seemless.

Pros

Probably the most is the support. I put off my first support call for a long time--waited until I had a good chunk of time because I assumed I would be on hold forever. Not the case. The person that answered the phone (no hold time) was the person that solved my problem with ease. They explained what they were doing so that I could handle the next time if there was a next time and they haven't treated anyone in our office like they were dumb--even when they had no idea what they were doing. This has been the case each time we have called support. The transition, once all of our data was converted went smoothly and even our limited computer users had little problems from day one.

Cons

The least are probably things that I just don't understand how to do yet. We have only been using the software since January, so I try to spend a little time weekly learning a new aspect of the program. The one thing I wish it would do that amicus did, was in events, I could schedule events that would be added in once another even was completed. In abacus I can set dates out in advance, but they are not contingent on when something was completed. Hope that is something they are looking at for future upgrades. That is probably the only thing I miss from amicus.

Response from CARET

Kayle,

We are tremendously glad to hear that the transition has been a good one! To take a deeper dive into the features of AbacusLaw, we recommend joining our weekly half hour "Free Training Friday" webinars. You are also more than welcome to contact our support team at any time who will be more than happy to impart some tips so you can fully take advantage of our software.

Watch past webinars and register for future ones here: https://www.abacusnext.com/webinars

Best, AbacusNext

Amanda
  • Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use and customize, terrible customer support

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

I've enjoyed using Abacus for many years. I used the cloud based option which was really great aside from the cost for storage space and it's limitations. I'm not crazy about their support team, but it wasn't a huge problem because it usually worked fine on it own. There are limits to the reporting, but they are also very customizable within those limits. Creating custom mail merge documents is a breeze.

Pros

I like the ease of making documents and templates with Abacus. It is very customizable and easy to use. I like having the matters and names databases and being able to cross reference cases with people. The reporting is good, but could use some work so that you can pull reports from 2 different databases at once (i.e. the addresses of all of the clients or providers for all active matters).

Cons

The draw back with Abacus is that it doesn't give you check lists or ways to case manage very well. It's easy to use and customize, which is good, because their customer services is slow and not great.

Response from CARET

Dear Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. At AbacusNext, providing excellent products is very important to us, so it's good to hear we're delivering on that promise.

I'm sorry our client service hasn't met your expectations; please feel free to get in touch with me if I can help.

On behalf of all of us at AbacusNext, thank you for your patronage. We look forward to being of service for many years to come.

All the best,

Katie Ternes
Marketing Coordinator
AbacusNext
(858) 882-4882

Norm

Problems with Support

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Three of four years ago, I would have given five stars on all categories. Things have changed. In addition, the new owners increased annual license fees 40% last year.

Pros

It is a comprehensive software product for a law office, with case management, document management and billing. Our firm has been using it for 12 years.

Cons

The original founder of Abacus had very high standards. Tech support was very good. You could always connect quickly with a knowledgeable tech support specialist. In addition, for the first 7 or 8 years we used it, it was virtually bullet proof. It rarely, if ever, had a crash or issue of any kind. In more recent versions, you started to see more crashes or technical problems. But, at least the support was good when needed. The founder sold the company a couple of years ago. They acquired Amicus, several other products and most recently HotDocs. The quality of their tech support has significantly deteriorated. For example, we had a crash using the billing component, with a window that popped up with an error code this morning at roughly 9:00 a.m. Called tech support, was on hold for ten minutes, then prompted to leave a message. Left message at 9:10 a.m. this morning. In fact, both I and the user of the workstation left messages. It is 3:15 p.m. and Abacus has not called back.

Julie
  • Industry: Law Practice

Would like more training (i.e. a weekly "how to" e-mail that is short and sweet with something...

Reviewed on 2018/08/29

The out of the ordinary task I was assigned frustrated me for several hours before I reached out for assistance. But when I did reach out, the assistance was there. It was something I could do, I just needed guidance. The executive from Abacus not only guided me through the process, but he explained what I was doing as we worked through to completion of the task and how it worked so I could easily do on my own the next time. Today, I had to go back in and add another search element and was able to do so without the frustration as before. I understood how it worked, and to clone what was already working so I didn't lose what had been done but improved upon it. Thank you very much for the help AND suggestion to clone before editing!

Pros

It combines calendar (both legal and non-legal), accounting and legal / case management into one area. Legal forms are updated regularly. Notes can be made addressing each case progress and conflict of interest checks are easily manageable. Automatic population is convenient when working on new matters under regular clients. The help line has always been quick, easy and convenient. Every person I have ever spoken with has been of great assistance, without hesitation. Thank you.

Cons

It is difficult (for me) to figure out the help through the on line directions to complete an out of the ordinary task.

Michael

AbacusLaw is Essential for Saving Time and Money

Reviewed on 2018/08/28

Our experience with AbacusLaw has been very beneficial in keeping matters organized and running smoothly. And also, knowing that if any issue should arise, it will be promptly seen to by their very capable IT team, which may be what makes AbacusLaw essential. Their team is always courteous and ready to serve you in a timely manner. As far as the software itself, there is rarely a problem.

Pros

Organization is key, so being able to link matters with the calendar and pull up events with so little effort makes my job much easier. I cannot imagine running a law firm without this program. It makes all the difference when you are in the business of billing clients based on time spent on their particular matter. The full scope of events, dates, time and time spent are at the ready, saving a tremendous amount of time.
AbacusLaw is incredibly functional. This software has it all, and I feel that our small firm isn't implementing the software to it's fullest capabilities. This is apparent as there are helpful suggestions each morning when I login and go to my calendar.

Cons

There is little to not like about the software. I suppose if it were free and could read my mind, but...

Richard

Very disappointing experience with Abacus

Reviewed on 2016/12/08

Abacus Law in the Abacus Private Cloud is the 4th practice management software that I have used over the past 20 years. Far and away is the worst experience that I have had with practice management software. Many everyday functions take multiple steps where they need only take one. Some features, especially search features, just don't work. In two years I have seen no meaningful improvements in the software. Abacus makes its real money selling you their cloud services and once you commit to putting your data on their Cloud, it gets very hard to move away. I considered transitioning to Amicus Attorney because Abacus has recently merged with Amicus and I was assured for months that a migration was doable, only to learn months later that Abacus will not provide migration to Amicus. The two camps definitely have not gotten on the same page.

Pros

At this point, nothing.

Cons

APC is a problematical environment to have to work in all day. Abacus Law and especially Abacus Accounting are primitive, highly inefficient.

Response from CARET

Capterra is a distinguished platform for users to share reviews of software products, and we respect the forum as a place for serious technical reviews made without self-interest or aggrandizement. The tone and tenor of your review indicates that you are very unhappy with our product, and while we would love to have you stay with us, we want you to make the best decision for your firm. We would be happy to help remedy your situation. At your earliest convenience, please contact us at 858-882-1794.

Cheers, Abacus

Enita

Mediocre at best. Don't waste your TIME and your $$

Reviewed on 2016/04/15

I would not suggest Abacus to anyone and tell everyone NOT to buy it. I have had it for 1 1/2 and I have to say I am disappointed and exhausted with having to use it.
Before I did buy it, I had done much research on the software out there and for my solo practice, the price and the fact that they offered client and accounting made a lot of sense. So, I bought it. I can write about 10 pages of information as to why you should NOT get it. Here are a few:
1. They removed the payroll option and actually blocked you from using entirely (meaning that you could not manually punch in the information) and made you pay their payroll affiliate. Completely unfair and uncalled for. There was no warning that they were going to block you from using the existing payroll features. Only that they were not going to support it. Support and block are completely 2 different things.
2. To run a bill, you need to go or click at 15 places. Isn't that ridiculous.
3. I was able to email bills from abacus accounting. That stopped working and they could not fix it.
4. They do monthly training on separate issues (like billing, entering date, etc.). It sounds all easy at first, but when you actually start doing it yourself, oh boy. Good luck to you.
5. If you search for a client, after his name comes up, you can't click enter to open up his matter. You actually have to click on the name. Imagine doing that 50 times a day.
6. Even though you can create abbreviations on the billing so it types it for you, e.g., RAR, it types out Receive and review, you can't do the same when you are typing notes in the client's matter. You have to type it all out. Makes no sense.
7. Learning curve is HUGE. It takes forever to learn how to use. Time you don't have.
8. You can't email a batch of bills at one time. You have to click in a few places, type your client's name, find the bill, and then click email. Can you imagine doing that for 30 or 100 bills a month.
9. Everything is SO LABORIOUS. It takes 5x more work to just get one thing done than it should.
10. In certain screens, you can't maximize the view. It is locked so it is a small screen.

I have to say that but for one rep, they are very professional. But honestly, who cares. If I have to spend hours on the phone to fix issues, what does it matter that they are nice. I am a solo and I don't have time to waste with Abacus.

I wish you luck but consider my review before you start down a nightmare of issues.

Yunus

Buggy Software, Bad Tech Support, Expensive

Reviewed on 2019/12/22

Absolutely do NOT sign a contract with Amicus. The company is the worst sort of "bait and switch" you can imagine. And you will be stuck with a contract and poor software/poor support and nothing you can do about it. When my users went down from 4 to 2 they refused to adjust and am forcing me to pay for 2 licenses I don't need. This is outrageous, especially considering how poor the product is.

Pros

Claims to let you run lawyer practice management software. Usually has a technical or sales problem. See "dislike" below as comments hard to separate.

Cons

Support not knowledgeable and very slow. Sales are greedy and will not adjust contracts based on your needs. In concept this is a good software, but the execution is miserable and the company always makes excuses for their poor product but takes forever to fix them, if they even do.

Leigh

My experience with Abacus

Reviewed on 2020/06/01

Generally Abacus suits my purposes well. I cannot imagine the effort it would take to switch to another system, there is so much critical information in my system that has accumulated over the years and which I can, and do, access.

Pros

I have been using this software since 2000, I think. I don't know all the tricks, but to manage time and client information it is wonderful.

Cons

When not updated regularly it doesn't function as well. Sometimes updating can be a nightmare.

Response from CARET

Hi Leigh!

My name is Natalie and I'm on the Marketing Team at Abacus. I wanted to reach out and say thank you for the feedback! It's great to hear that AbacusLaw has been a great resource for you during this crazy time.

I wanted to reach out to see if you would be interested in being one of our first customers to film a video review? We'd love to include you in this cool new project!

Please let me know if you are interested!

Natalie

Alisha
  • Industry: Law Practice

We feel very supported with Abacus and enjoy glitch free work days 99% of the time.

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

It saves time and makes the coordination of tasks among staff more efficient. The database organization is simple to use and explore.

Pros

It is easy to learn and the customer service/software support people are very knowledgeable if something doesn't make sense. The software is very intuitive and saves lots of time. Saving time means getting more work done in a day. It is reasonably priced for the initial investment, and the support is a considerable value when softwares other than Abacus update and functionality changes. We moved our office 2 years ago, and taking Abacus along and getting us set up in our new location was EASY! Adding and replacing equipment has been seamless, like new PCs, phones, and/or laptops. The Abacus team is amazing!

Cons

Sometimes the updates come at the most inopportune times. It would be better if we could chose when to update things more in coordination with IT personnel for major updates.

Dominic

Abacus

Reviewed on 2021/05/12

Great case management solution. Makes practice automation much easier. I've been a user since 2006 because it works!

Pros

Abacuslaw is easy to use (even for lawyers), easy to setup and provides a central case management solution incorporating everything our practice needs from document generation and management, diary/calendar (rules-based features too to help with case workflow), email integration, etc. It is versatile enough to keep us on top of our litigation work (95%) of our practice, but we can also customize its features to handle our estates/real estate files. Keep up the good work.

Cons

I generally hate software that requires an ongoing subscription or nickels and dimes you for every added feature, but Abacuslaw is tolerable in that regard.

Caroline
  • Industry: Law Practice

Abacus Law has grown with my business!

Reviewed on 2018/08/31

Exceptional. The software is useful, practical and designed specifically for attorneys. The customer service is unparalleled across the board. Fast, efficient, professional, knowledgeable. Always there, always helpful and always cheerful (no matter how many times I call!).

Pros

I love the format and the ease with which I can create new matters, organize my contacts and bill my matters. I started with AbacusLaw as a solo practitioner and have grown my firm to include two other attorneys and an admin. The attorneys are all networked in the cloud now, and Abacus was able to grow with me and provide additional support solutions for our small firm. The Abacus Accounting has given me great billing capacity and kept my accounts in order.

Cons

I have not found the forms functionality very accessible. I was an experienced attorney when I signed on with AbacusLaw, so this is not something that I particularly need.

Timothy

Abacus Law with APC lets me work anywhere with complete control of my office and my cases.

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Pros

With APC I can work from home in the morning, go to the office and log in again right where I left off without having to maintain expensive servers. Tech support has been very responsive and always available whenever we have a problem, which is not very often. The features of Abacus Law are completely customizable to suit the needs of my practice. There are lots of great tutorials and other online resources to help us get the most from Abacus Law.

Cons

We had used Amicus Attorney for many years but wanted a full featured program that integrated case management with accounting. The transition to Abacus Law was not as easy as I had hoped and took a considerable amount of time. However, the transition team was great to work with and stayed with the project until they were able to successfully convert my data.
Also, compared to Amicus, the user interface with Abacus Law is not as intuitive and has a bit of a learning curve. However, overall it is a more robust and feature rich product.

Carmen

Abacus & Personal Injury

Reviewed on 2020/03/17

Overall it has the potential to meet all of our needs.

Overall it has the potential to meet all of our needs.

Pros

It is inclusive to different areas of law.

Cons

Personal Injury. We need a system that is easier to customize and it is actually pertinent to Fl Personal Injury pre-suit cases.