Rentec Direct

Complete property management software solution.

Robert

Best Value and Easy To Use

Reviewed on 2019/03/16

Best value for the price and easy enough for the average person to get up and running.

Pros

I love the affordability of the software and the ease of use. I also like the ability to communicate and text the tenants through the portal and track them. Another great feature is the owner portal. Ny owner absolutely loves the easy access and variety of reports available as does her accountant.

Cons

Just a little difficult in the beginning setting up and getting the ACH approved for the payment of my owners. Another drawback was that the platform does not sync with my bank management account even though it says it can. I have to manually reconcile.

Response from Rentec Direct

Thanks for the kind words, Robert! Related to your bank Sync issue - some banks actually require separate passwords for sync functionality, and some banks even charge a fee for that tool (Rentec does not). Possibly this is the issue? There is also another option for downloading your transactions from your bank that could speed things up for you. Click here for more information: https://support.rentecdirect.com/knowledgebase/articles/281736-bank-synchronization-download-bank-transactions

Molly

Perfect for beginers

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

I would recommend this to anyone with less than 100 properties.

I would recommend this to anyone with less than 100 properties.

Pros

We used this product for a few years when our property management company was just starting to grow. It was great in the beginning because it got everything out of excel and quick books and onto a property-oriented platform. The reports were excellent. The program was extremely user-friendly.

Cons

We ended up changing to another program when we grew out of Rentec Direct. The program only allowed you to deposit ACH payments into one account and that was an issue for us.

Response from Rentec Direct

Thanks Molly for positive feedback! We listened to you and other clients and rolled out the option for multiple electronic rent collection accounts back in May of 2017. Current clients really love this option and the fact we don't charge you, property owners or your tenants for ACH transactions (echecks). More details can be found in the link below. Rentec has grown up over the last decade and we'd love the chance to woo you again. :)

Robert

good for the money. A good starter software

Reviewed on 2022/09/29

It's mixed. I think it is a good product but sometimes it feels like they fired their engineer who built it and the people left dont know how to fix major problems.

Pros

The price is good and it works....just not smoothly. It is like working on an AS400 from the 90's

Cons

For years I was promised fixes, now they have rolled out a new version that has it own set of glitches on top of the old ones.

Support is always delayed, phone is never answered. (In five years no one has ever answered the phone) You have to text or email, response time can be an hour to a day. Sometimes i feel like they dont here my issue and send responses based on keywords they heard

AppFolio Property Manager

Reasons for Switching to Rentec Direct

Price
Michelle

Simple and Easy

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

If it wasn't so much work and if payments from tenants processed quicker, I would switch back. I preferred the ease and simplicity of Rentec over AppFolio which I am using now.

Pros

Very user friendly
No learning curve
Reports are easy to read
Information is formatted in a way that most would understand
Price is great and this is good for those with only a couple rentals or if you have 100's

Cons

When I used this product, it didn't offer all the bells and whistles that others did like an app for your phone
The ACH process was too slow when I used it and it could take too many days to get money and send money

Response from Rentec Direct

We appreciate you singing our praises, Michelle, and letting us know what was important to you. Back in 2017, we increased transaction processing speeds, rolled out mobile apps and a whole host of other slick features. We're always working to on new ways to to help our clients be more efficient. Wishing you great success!

William

As a property owner/manager with multiple rentals, we simply could not manage without...

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

Our sincere thanks to the entire staff at RentecDirect. You've made our job of mananging properties so simple.

It is clear that their support staff is worth the price of admission alone. When requests have been made, their staff takes them seriously and they constantly add requested features to their software when it makes sense and has an impact on everyone who uses it.

Pros

RentecDirect gives us a clear accounting of our properties and our tenants. With intuitive drill-down features, you can easily track and locate tenant's important information in seconds. You can also store important property information as well, such as door key codes. Besides giving you an accurate accounting of everything financial, RentecDirect has thought out every aspect of property management and delivers a package which simplifies the process and gives us a one-click report for our annual taxes.

Patti

Rentec Direct Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

Love this software for small companies just starting out! So far I believe we selected the right software.

Pros

Ease of use and allows us to do every thing we need to manage our properties effectively from rent collection, maintenance, application validation, marketing, reporting and more! The customer service is excellent!

Cons

The right click to get to menu items was tough without a mouse but now it is seamless.

Response from Rentec Direct

We're happy you joined the Rentec Direct family, Patti, and that you're enjoying all your tools. Wishing you great success!

Casey
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Terrific software, outstanding customer service!

Reviewed on 2016/07/22

Pros

I had done an obscene amount of research on software options for my small landlord operation (18 units so far) since I was outgrowing the excel spreadsheets that had at one point kept me somewhat organized. Honestly, I thought my mind was made up on Buildium, but once I did an overview with Kathryn over the phone, I was hooked. I told her exactly what I wanted from the software and where my trouble spots were with my current "system", and she walked me through the very features that Rentec Direct would provide.

I got a free 30 day trial to play around with the system and within a week, I had made my decision. I also looked at Simplifyem along with Buildium and Rentec won hands down for the features and the price. Since then, I have had a million questions, and all of them were answered within minutes either through email or over the phone (I am kind of a Luddite and need a lot of hand-holding...) Thank the heavens for Kathryn-- the most patient person in the world. The customer service is beyond phenomenal, people.

Cons

I wish that when filing out a work order, it could be an SMS notification, rather than just an email.

Gus

A boon for both my company AND my landlords. Takes some of the headaches out of a headache...

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

Was fortuitous finding this program! Everyone (underscore that) is professional, courteous even friendly. Especially appreciate their executive, as she never makes me feel like a dope. Even when my question warrants it!

Pros

Clean, easy, efficient ... and forgiving. It is easy to set-up new owners, properties and tenants. And just as easy to process rents, invoices, etc.

Cons

Some of the suggestions in the knowledge base sound like good ideas. And what about a property manager portal, or app?

Lisa Ann

Best Customer Service ever!!!! Great Product.

Reviewed on 2017/06/13

I shopped around for different software. We decided on this because it was affordable and seemed to be compatible for my size company. Their customer service is the best hands down. They are quick to respond and patient. They also implemented a new Chat service which is fantastic!

Pros

It streamlines so many things for me. There is a bit of a learning curve as with anything but you have their total support to get you through it. Whether it be email, phone, chat or their knowledge base.

Cons

Each state handles some things differently and so in some situations I have to manually do things and it can't be automatically set up.

Erica

I love this software

Reviewed on 2018/12/17

Pros

I love the option and the way everything I need for my business blend perfectly! Everything I need is in this software

Cons

I only hate that I can’t delete multiple late fees at a time. You can only delete them one at a time.

Darci

Simple, Organized Layout

Reviewed on 2017/04/12

This site has been great for all of my needs, from keeping track of tenants, landlords, properties, and maintenance. Sometimes running reports is a little labor-intensive, as you can't print out monthly reports, etc. that we use for all properties at once, so it takes time to select each property and run reports individually. Overall though, this is user-friendly and great for our needs.

Pros

Easy to use, organized and simple design

Cons

Running some reports can be laborious since you can't run some categories for all properties at one time, as we need to do each month.

Response from Rentec Direct

Hi Darci,

Thanks for the review and feedback! Your team at Rentec Direct is happy to hear about everything that is working well for you. We'd love to hear more about how the reporting features can be improved to make your life easier. Feel free to reach out to your Success Team at [email protected] to share your experience and ideas.

Cheers,
Kaycee at Rentec Direct

Brandon

Not very user friendly software

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

I have recommended this software to someone, but that was before I found Buildium.

Pros

Colorful buttons lead you along. Lots of options to enter contact information, ie address, phone number and email. Nice to be able to email work orders directly to the vendors.

Cons

Really have to think about how to get back to where you were before and just getting around in general does not flow well.

Sue
  • Used for 1-5 months

Tested this service - Report that came back did not have the misdemeanors that I already knew...

Reviewed on 2017/10/04

Pros

Great idea. I wish it worked. Unfortunately, my one time test use of it proves the reports they provide may be inaccurate .

Cons

It is not accurate. I tested this service with info on a person I know has misdemeanors. (He admits to them and the local police department in Indiana provided a report detailing the offenses). The "nationwide" report that came back to me after I provided SSN and other requested info, showed no criminal history at all. So, clearly the nationwide background check claim is not accurate

Response from Rentec Direct

Dear Sue, Thank you for taking the time to try our service and post a review. Indiana does indeed have limited coverage as not all counties report misdemeanor convictions to nationwide databases. We (and all other screening vendors) are a bit at the mercy of counties keeping things updated but some still run analog systems and haven't yet converted to electronic, which can slow things down. Also, as a reporting agency for landlords, most states restrict landlords to only seven years of history. The crimes committed by your applicant that were over seven years old cannot be reported or considered when placing a tenant. Our system would have automatically removed those from the report as required by law, which also keeps you out of legal hot water if you were to accidentally reject an applicant based on old data. We are here to protect both you and your investments which we endeavor to do with both our software products and tenant screening reports by providing the most accurate data possible.

Jan ice
  • Used for 1-5 months

A much welcomed relief!

Reviewed on 2017/05/06

This is a fabulous program. It has simplified our property management bookkeeping and reporting soo much and saved us so much time. Now, I only wish you had a General Real Estate Back Office product that would pull data from our MLS and push it up to our franchise! We are in need of a new product. Using Broker Wolf right now and it is horrible! The reports are miserable!

Pros

Simplicity, detailed, client friendly reports and the best customer support I have ever received from any provider.

Cons

Reserve accounts. These were quite difficult for us to get set up at first. We are in good shape now thanks to the customer rep who patiently worked us through the setup. I would like to see, however, a part of the program for reserves that would be automatic so that my staff would not have to make modifications to the reserve amount monthly. For example, I may need $ a year in a reserve account for landlord but I do not take that money up front, I take a little each month. As I understand, it the system is set up to keep that amount from the landlord and I would not be able to pay anything until that is met so my staff puts an amount into the reserve that we take out monthly and then must adjust that amount every month. I would like it to be an automatic adjustment so that there is a total goal but the system knows to take only a little each month.

Summer

Great program that meets expectations

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

Working through Rentec Direct to meet our property management needs has been a wonderful experience.

Pros

Ease of use and customer service/knowledge base.

Cons

Needs a main email location to check emails that were sent to everyone - tenants and vendors.

Response from Rentec Direct

We're so happy to hear you're having a great experience with us, Summer! Be sure to check out the Summary Page Quick Access Link in the lower left corner as it does contain a Mailbox showing all the outgoing emails and text messages to tenants, vendors and owners.

Al

Does the Job

Reviewed on 2016/12/10

We have a small property business with only 25 units, so we do not need a killer application. Rentec Direct has proven to be a nice fit in terms of functionality as well as financially. Entering data is very easy and the application provides several different ways to view the data so that analyses are quick and to the point.

Pros

The price is right, but so is the functionality. I am not sure how well this application would work for an operation that had several hundred units, but for our small business it seems to be good. It saves us a great deal of time and enables us to be more productive by allowing us to assess our expenses per property quickly and accurately.

Cons

At times, we have to sort of figure out how to get the output we want. Some of the pages use terms that do not always seem intuitive, but this is really not a major issue.

Jared

Rentec Direct

Reviewed on 2016/09/08

Pros

Rentec Direct is incredibly affordable compared to other property management software out there. They are very responsive when I need help with something. They are easy to work with and I've been working with Kathryn on an issue I'm having with accounting and she has spent extra time with me that she shouldn't have to. She is great and Rentec is lucky to have her.

Cons

The accounting is at times cumbersome to wade through the reports and find what I'm actually looking for.

Eugene

Time consuming & geared for others

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

I was really hoping for more. I am somewhat satisfied so far, but the software could use updates more rapidly than the current course for its age. The people are very friendly & helpful, but the software is what it is.

Pros

Everything in one place (almost)
Landlord & Tenant portals
Easy to share info with other coworkers
Summary page is the best thing going!

Cons

Hard to master
Accounting can be confusing
No budgeting available
Not cost effective to sign up multiple bank accounts if you run multiple clients with single family homes separately
Some items don't make sense - i.e. property manager info has to be associated with marketing, rather than a general inquiry line, which we use for all properties, regardless of manager
Finding the right page can take a few clicks sometimes

Greg

Couldn't ask for a better solution for our business.

Reviewed on 2016/11/14

I'm consistently impressed with Rentec Direct's support and products. When we signed up it was to just do one tenant screen, but we found out they also have a complete software solution for managing our portfolio of properties. I used to use Quickbooks but after using Rentec's accounting tools for just a week I was sold because Rentec is so much easier.

The other things that I really liked about this company is they tell it like it is. Their pricing is straight forward and they don't hide anything with hidden fees. Every time I contact their support, they are always friendly and very helpful too. I've called a few times now getting setup and I always get an English speaking rep who really knows their stuff.

Pros

Better support than I've ever experienced with any company, EVER!
The software was really easy to learn.
No term contracts, I like that.

C

Everything I needed

Reviewed on 2016/08/31

Pros

It was easy to set up, and it's easy to use. I can easily pick and choose how much or how little of the program elements I want to use. It has plenty of report and tracking options, and provided lots of room for growth.

Cons

Really don't have any complaints. I wanted a way to compare properties profitability to one another and it doesn't do that. But I don't know that any of the rental property software out there does.

Shannon

Everything I need and things keep coming I didn't know I need.

Reviewed on 2016/09/29

Pros

I like that everything is right there. The price is very reasonable and this application includes all of the items the very expensive programs include. The customer support has been incredible these last six years and they keep adding things that really help.

Cons

Strictly operator error, I forget my log in from time to time. Seriously, I haven't found anything I'm unhappy with.

Yohan
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Customer service is adequate but can be improved

Reviewed on 2017/05/12

I love the software it has simplified my business, but I think a thorough training of how the software operates would be extremely helpful

Pros

The customer is courteous and responsive once you actually talk to the right person. When I set up my account I scheduled a time for someone to walk me through the process of how the software operates.

Cons

The person that walked me through my software training was a substitute for the lady that was assigned to assist me and she was booked for that particular day and time. The substitute did an adequate job explaining the software, but my partner and I would have preferred to wait for the main software trainer.

Leslie

Rentec Direct- Changing the Way to Manage your Property

Reviewed on 2016/08/31

Pros

Rentec Direct is an intuitive and easy software that allows laypeople to keep track of all income and expenses related to one or many properties with multiple tenants to manage. If you need to speak with someone when one of those 'irregular' situations with your properties, Rentec is always there at the phone ready to walk you right through to a solution. Rentec Direct updates and adds more features that will automatically load into your existing software. And at the end of the year when it's time to pay your taxes, Rentec Direct will print out the reports it used to take you over a week to sort out.

Cons

What's not to like?

Marsha

Great product, very user-friendly, terrific customer support!

Reviewed on 2017/01/27

We got Rentec Direct for our Property Management department about 3-4 years ago - it was so easy to set up and get started with extremely intuitive and easy to use, great features and functionality and if you ever need them, the customer support folks are top notch and very knowledgeable and friendly. They have a "Knowledgebase" built into the software program that actually answers the majority of the questions you might have and it walks you through how to set everything up. Even those of us who have never used YARDI or other PM programs were able to pick it up right away and use it in on day 1.

Pros

Easy set-up and user-friendly, great Knowledgebase and customer support.

Cons

none, really

Linda

Rentec vs. Excel Spreadsheet, I pick Rentec Direct.

Reviewed on 2014/05/30

Pros

It's simple to use, and accounts can be used for several things, such as bank statements reconciliation and keeping track of payments. It does that math for me, and all I have to do is make sure I entered the right amounts. Rentec does the rest. Screening is also easy, and it's a one stop shopping. I also like the tutorials.

Cons

There are still some updates I would like for it to have. It doesn't track emails to owners. This is an important tool because our personal or business email address is cluttered. If we could check on the owners notes, I can tell quickly if they received an email from me or not. I also don't like the fact that I have to pay for tenants using the tenant portal to pay rent. The tenant should pay for using the portal, not the property manager.