Smokeball

Legal productivity software for small law firms.

Brooke A.

I Love Smokeball

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Pros

I love Smokeballs features. The document automation saves me time and headache with formatting. The integration features make sure that nothing I do is missing in the client files. The cases are always complete. the ease of integration for the products that I use is excellent and seamless. The time tracking capabilities help make sure that I don't miss a billable.

Cons

They recently updated the mobile software so it is more difficult to use on a tablet or my phone.

Sandra E.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Best practice management software!

Reviewed on 2020/11/30

Our firm literally cannot work without Smokeball. I am not exaggerating one bit when I tell you that it is as essential to our practice as air. When the pandemic began, other lawyers were struggling to figure out how to work from home. Luckily for us, Smokeball is everywhere we are. With help from Smokeball's cloud-based system, we were able to transition to working from home very quickly and easily. Thanks to Smokeball's features -- file notes, memos, timeline, phone messages, email tracking, and activity tracking -- it is easier than ever for multiple staff members to collaborate on a file even though they are not physically in the same space. The integration with InfoTrack/Docusign means that we obtain client signatures without even leaving our desks. And the document automation and contact database make working much easier and more productive in general! I highly recommend Smokeball to any small law firm.

Pros

Email tracking, file notes/timeline. These features make it so much easier for two or more people to collaborate on a file!

Cons

I wish that "to-do" tasks in the system would auto-delete if a matter is canceled or closed.

Richard M.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great organziation for a small legal practice

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

A very positive experience. After dealing with another practice management suite from one of the large, uncaring legal publishing companies, it is a breath of fresh air to be able to work with people who are responsive to and care about our needs and how we work rather than how they want to force us to work.

Pros

Being able to corral the mountains of emails and documents that pass back and forth in a legal transaction is great.

Cons

At times, the online nature of the software means you are waiting a few heartbeats for a page to load up. It is not unbearable.

Hannah F.
  • Industry: Law Practice

More effective and productive work environment

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

The benefits of this program have overall created a more effective and productive work environment. The ability to create workflows and stages is very helpful and is used almost everyday. Missing deadlines while using this program are hard to come by.

Pros

The feature of being able to link Microsoft office with this program has assisted me greatly in the sense that it has minimized the process of completing tasks, preparing documents and emailing with clients. My favorite feature about this software is the ability to link client emails to the file it pertains to within Smokeball. This feature has minimized searching for Emails through my entire Email inbox, and additionally it has helped the firm cut costs on supplies, as we are not printing Emails for the paper file.

Cons

My least favorite feature about this software is the billing portion. My Office manager has had a less than great time attempting to transition to this software from Amicus, of which was the main software at the firm for 20 plus years. With that being said, the customer service help desk has been very helpful and working with this firm to create what we need.

Karen R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great Software for small law firms

Reviewed on 2020/12/01

Overall, Smokeball is a great program for large and small law firms. The ability to integrate e-mail, Word and Adobe is way better than the program we used to have, and the layout and organization is wonderful.

Pros

I love the ease of use and the ability to always have access to documents even after they are deleted. Nothing is ever lost. I also like the ease of converting documents to .pdf for filing with the court.

Cons

The biggest drawback for me is the inability to customize containers for info that we would use in our office setting. The information containers are set by the developer and even though we have input on what we would like to see, they do not always implement our suggestions because it would not be used widely by other users.

Dustin L.

Smokeball is Great

Great

Pros

Form suites, automatic time tracking, document generation using forms, email integrations.

Cons

Offline access to documents when they have not been saved locally already.

Sidney S.

Smokeball

Awesome!!

Pros

The is software is extremely user friendly. It saves a ton of time with templates for documents you regularly draft. Also, the absolute best part is the app you can download on smartphone which lets you access your files anywhere and anytime.

Cons

Honestly nothing. Smokeball is a huge time saver and I am so glad our firm did the switch.

Letisha L.

Absolutely the best!

Reviewed on 2017/06/27

This software enables me to run my business much more efficiently and accurately.

Pros

Smokeball is really wonderful and made a positive impact on my practice! The automation function is perfect. The auto time tracking and boost billing functions take Smokeball to the next level. It is hard to identify just one thing that I like most because everything about this software is amazing. It really has made my practice run smoothly and increased efficiency in my office. I converted from MyCase to Smokeball and the process was simple and relatively fast. I am so much happier with Smokeball! The customer service is out of this world as well. My account administrator took care of me every step of the way and made sure that I understood the process. She checked in on me to see how the conversion was going and did not hesitate to help me in any way.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I do not like or that I like least. Every once in awhile, the system runs slowly and it seems that my documents do not sync quickly. But, that is really it. There is nothing to complain about because this software is so intuitive and easy to use.

Dorene K.

Great Case Management Software

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Pros

Integration with Microsoft Products; form and document assembly; ability to communicate with clients and share docs through the Communicate Portal; Workflows, steps, the openness of the team to add features and support their clients.

Cons

No sales tax calculation makes me unable to use the billing feature.

Steven S.

Best Law Office Software I've Ever Used

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Smokeball helped me switch from a clunky, analog filing system (literally consisting of a few cabinets and the majority of free space on my desks) to a smooth, efficient and effective all-in-one application that satisfied my criteria for filing, communication, a calendar, and so much more.

Pros

The product is extremely intuitive and easy to master. The software is continually being updated with new features and perks. The help team is responsive and understanding. All around a top-tier application.

Cons

The only downsides to this software are small, personal nitpicks I have found with certain functions, such as scanning a document or converting a file to a pdf. However, 9/10 times, these issues have been fixed in the next update or the support team was able to help me resolve my problem quickly and painlessly.

Nicholas D.

Outstanding Product

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Wonderful company, very responsive to requests and support issues. Great product, wish I would have had this years ago.

Pros

Great client management system. Billing software works well too. Document generation and templates are also good.

Cons

Integration with other apps still need to be worked out. Mobile software could be more robust.

Ed S.

Smokeball can help

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Very good. I can't speak to a larger firm but as a small/solo firm it is a very good time saver and organization tool.

Pros

Smokeball has made my practice more efficient and allowed me to streamline work in such a way that I can do more to get work out in a shorter time. It has also helped keep me organized. The customer service and training has been great.

Cons

Data entry can be time consuming but useful as hub for moving the data across work product.

Ken W.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Essential, capable, but not perfect

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

We have quickly realized the ease of organizing and assigning documents and emails to clients' specific and individual matters. It would be nice if each Smokeball matter could host several separate cases within it for ease of consistency and comprehensive organization of information per client. It would be better if the above-mentioned window-restricting feature were cleared. Organization and aggregation of matters, tasks, contact information, etc. are its biggest benefits - and those are essential functions of an effective law practice.

Pros

Organization of files; indexing of document information; cloud storage; matter organization and workflow

Cons

Bugs: file naming and renaming; sudden slowdowns in software; and if you have a sub-window open specific to one matter, such as customizing some input information in that matter, you are temporarily disabled from interacting with the software at all until that window is saved and/or closed.

Thomas M.

Great product

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

Smokeball makes my legal work flow more smoothly and efficiently. It is like having another assistant at the office, but who is available 24-7 and by mobile.

Pros

Smokeball is terrific at combining the various aspects of my law practice into one, easily reachable and organized place. It has greatly improved the office's efficiency in responding to clients, getting work out the door, and staying organized.

Cons

The product was a great eye-opener in what could be accomplished. I am really am pleased and have no complaints.

Response from Smokeball

Thank you so much for your great review; we truly appreciate it. And, of course, please let us know if/when you have any suggestions for how we can improve the product to suit your firm.

Laura L.

Easy to Use and Collaborate

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Pros

The system is easy to use and technical support is very responsive if we ever have an issue or question. It has been such a game changer from google suites

Cons

I frequently have to close out, reboot, and try to open a few times upon start up. The actual tech can be a bit buggy sometimes

Pamela R.

Law Review

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Excellent customer service and training

Pros

I like the access to information remotely.

Cons

Trust account reports are too limited for our use.

Superb in my books

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Besides the updates mentioned above, I've never really had an too much of an issue with Smokeball. I appreciate the efficiency it allows me and the customer service has always been helpful, too, if I've needed to call. Quick to work on problems, the few times I've had them.

Pros

I tend to like the document prep associated with Smokeball, it allows me to quickly generate docs and gives me the extra time to tend to client needs.

Cons

I least like it when there is software updates, typically it slows down my work flow as there's sometimes issues with the updates and working with my other software programs.

Sarah G.

Smokeball works for me

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Pros

Ease of use and varied functionality. It has increased my organization and reduced the time it takes to do administrative tasks.

Cons

It’s a little buggy—at random times some features don’t work, like the firm snapshot.

Nicole D.

Decent for small firms

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

I think overall it increases efficiency in our firm.

Pros

I like that there is the option to have documents automated. That saves a lot of time. I also like the different matter types and how the fields are customizable to the kind of matter.

Cons

There's a cost associated with filing documents with the court. That should be built in to the cost of the product. I also don't think that the support team comes up with any valuable solutions to issues sometimes and that is frustrating.

Janet H.

Smokeball review

Reviewed on 2017/09/09

Much better product that what we had before. Excellent staff training. Our staff likes it and that is what matters!

Pros

Fairly easy but I am still learning as support staff usually handle for me. Ease of entry of contacts to each matter. I read the info given to us and it helps me to read on paper! I am very busy with working on the "legal" end of cases so my time is limited as to all entries. I just add as I can.

Cons

It is meeting the needs of our firm except for the daily printing of a calendar that would show what all attorneys are doing. So far we are only able to print one day at a time.

Michael S.

Great Legal Software

Reviewed on 2020/11/27

Pros

I would recommend Smokeball to any law firm, big or small. Great case management system, countless document automation options, easy to use, and detailed reports to track analytics.

Cons

No complaints. The few minor issues I had were quickly resolved and the service team is quick and very resposive.

Administrator for law firm using this program.

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

Helped organize client files and made it easier to track and save emails to and from clients.

Pros

It is quite easy to save emails and documents to various clients and to search matters quickly. I like that I can pull up documents while on the phone with clients.

Cons

If not careful, it is easy to overlook tracked changes to documents. It is also occasionally difficult to remove clients who have been twice entered.

Ashleigh T.
  • Industry: Legal Services

I love the customer support. If there are any issues, they will work with you until they are...

Reviewed on 2017/06/27

Linking everything together is great

Pros

I love that it links together everything I need to do in a day: ie: My cases with my calendar, my emails, etc.

Cons

I think there aren't many forms I use, and the ones I need, aren't in the library. I also think there are some gliches that need to be ironed out- sometimes my word documents wont open- i have to export them and save on my desktop and then open them.

Jean O.

I really like smokeball

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

I came from a paper office. This is so much easier and keeps everything in one place. It is easy to track what has been done to a file and what needs to be done.

Pros

I love the customer support for smokeball. They are always there to walk you through things and help create a better system.

Cons

The automation of documents is cumbersome.

Jim F.

Smokeball Makes It Easy

Reviewed on 2017/01/23

I have used Smokeball for about four years. There are a lot of positive parts to this program - the ease of using Word documents; the templates for the various practice areas; the speed of finding documents, correspondence, and emails to name a few.

Recently I was representing the sellers of a Chicago condominium. For some reason the attorney, lender, and both real estate brokers found emails easier than phone calls. An issue arose about seven days prior to closing which caused a flurry of emails (17) to be exchanged in about 35 minutes. Smokeball grouped and filed these emails in the proper client folder and allowed me to watch from the sidelines until the activity ceased. Once I saw that the parties had run out of responses, I reviewed the last email in the chain, initiated a conference call, and resolved the problem with a three minute phone call. Smokeball allowed me to keep an eye on developments while working on other pressing matters.

One last note. I have had judges comment on the Word documents I've used and how easy it is to read the insertions and presentations of documents like the Cook County Memorandum of Judgment and the Illinois business forms.