Smokeball

Legal productivity software for small law firms.

Brooke
Brooke

I Love Smokeball

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Pros

I love Smokeballs features. The document automation saves me time and headache with formatting. The integration features make sure that nothing I do is missing in the client files. The cases are always complete. the ease of integration for the products that I use is excellent and seamless. The time tracking capabilities help make sure that I don't miss a billable.

Cons

They recently updated the mobile software so it is more difficult to use on a tablet or my phone.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

I didn't like the document automation of Practice Panther nearly as much as I like Smokeballs. The billing software in practice panther is not as user friendly as Smokeballs.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Because the feature were more robust and the billing time tracker is key.
Troy
  • Industry: Legal Services

Smokeball Review - Cost = $$$$ - Value = Priceless!

Reviewed on 2023/10/26

Very friendly and helpful and out to see you succeed and get the most from the software. Everyone seems to have law firm experience from the Implementation Specialist and Account Manager who have many years of experience as a Paralegal to the Billing Trainer who is a Lawyer and they know what they are recommending or helping with and why. You are not alone, you have a great support staff, video training, webinar training, one on one training etc. Believe it or not...the Sales guy didn't lie.....pretty much everything he sold us on during the demo is true!

Pros

It tracks everything. Training and onboarding are fantastic. Customer Support is on top of things and great to help and give feedback. Everyone I have worked with seems to be an expert in the field with solid law firm experience backing their recommendations or help with the software. The integration with Ring Central, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Word is SEAMLESS and PRICELESS! The Communicate App for the Client is great as well and even those clients that have previously said they don't text or use apps now use the Communicate app with ease (and seem to like it).

Cons

There are reports I would like to be able to customize for MY use vs a canned approach. As well as saving Favorite Reports the way I want them ran. I would also like to write my own reports. However, there is a great selection of reports that will make the majority of users very happy.
Auto-time sometimes tracks too much time, however, it is better to see all and code those items as non billed vs not seeing the tracked time at all.

Response from Smokeball

Thanks for your thorough 5-star review, Troy! We're delighted that Smokeball was everything you needed--and maybe even more. We appreciate your feedback on reports and are so glad you've enjoyed working with our team. We're here for you!

Alex

Disingenuous Company. Dead End Product. Stay Away

Reviewed on 2022/12/30

I said I wanted API access. They said, "what's an API?" I sent them a link to their website showing where they provide API access to developers. They refused. This became an issue because they will not provide your client and matter data in a useful format. It's a lawyer-run company. The support staff is legalistic and misleading. I would not do business with them again. I don't think "they'll make it right" if you have an issue. I know I sound like a crank. But I feel pretty badly treated by them and in 2023 the lack of an open API is insane. Now that I have my data out of their system, I am no longer hostage to their garbage. If I had read a review like this during my evaluation, I hope that I would have hesitated and made a different choice.

Pros

The software has a point of view. Its ideal user is a middle-aged tech-phobic lawyer that needs most decisions made for him.For that reason, the software makes a lot of choices for you. And mostly they are fine choices if you want a desktop-based app and a forms-heavy practice.They oversell their integration with MS Word and Outlook. Their custom add-ins are slow to load and unimpressive.If you truly want to play in the MS Dataverse, which I think is a smart long-term play, then use a product that integrates with Sharepoint and Teams. Also, the app is a POS.

Cons

This software is a technical dead end. They will never have an open API and integrate with the web. But if you ask for it, they "will submit a feature request" despite the fact they actually have an API that developers can use.They will not help you export your data. They provide you with your files in an unstructured mess of separate .csv files and client folders.They answer the customer service number 1 out of 5 calls. They shuttle you to email, where the support doesn't read the emails you send.Their document automation team screwed up my documents. I sent templates in Georgia 11 and got back documents with a mixture of Times New Roman 12 and Georgia. I sent over documents with tables for signature blocks and got back documents where the signature block was done with an underline and space bar.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

I made a mistake; should have stuck with Clio, despite its flaws.

Response from Smokeball

Alex, we're very sorry to not be able to count you among our satisfied clients. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service with an average <30-minute response time to support tickets as well as a high satisfaction rating on automation of client documents. In an effort to preserve the integrity of our system for our clients, we have intentionally chosen to properly vet any integrations to our software resulting in developer only access to our API by approved tech companies. Our clients absolutely have access to their data and have the option to remove that data from their account using the methods provided in the software. Again, we're sorry if you felt the available options didn't meet your needs. We appreciate your feedback on our product, and the process of retrieving your data, and wish you the best.

Sharbel

Easy to maneuver

Reviewed on 2023/12/19

Very good. Happy I made the change to use Smokeball for my practice.

Very good. Happy I made the change to use Smokeball for my practice.

Pros

I like how easy it is to access the client's file. I do not need the hard file in order to review documents, share documents, and file documents.

Cons

The fact that the free website went away. When Smokeball was initially being presented to me, it included a free website, which I used for several years. Eventually they decided to do away with the website; now I pay $100 per month for a website. AND my smokeball subscription cost went up.

Response from Smokeball

We're so glad that Smokeball is easy to use and was a positive change for your practice. To ensure we were providing the best solution to our clients, we partnered with LawLytics for website service. We understand that no one likes increased costs, but we're glad you believe Smokeball is worth the money. Thanks for your review, Sharbel!

Tracy

Smokebal

Reviewed on 2023/10/11

I have used Smokeball for years. The features and customer service are phenomenal. I have used other programs that left me frustrated and having to use multiple programs to obtain less that perfect results. The reporting features let me stay on top of all things case related as well as keeping my firm profitability at my fingertips. I highly recommend Smokeball to everyone!

Pros

The integration with microsoft office, zoom, ring central, infotrack, and now TxDocs make Smokeball my hands down favorite. Smokeball communicate allows clients real time "text" access without having to give out personal numbers and is a wonderful customer service option. Reporting features are especially great for things such as "paid vs. incurred" and litigation deadlines.

Cons

Smokeball and mac are not friends. There is a work-around, but I hope to see mac fully integrated in the future.

Filevine, Zola, PracticePanther Legal Software, MyCase and LEAP

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Integration features, document automation, cost, ability for team transparency on cases, and ability to access case files anywhere.

Clio

Response from Smokeball

Thanks so much for your 5-star review, Tracy. We're thrilled you continue to find so much value in Smokeball and are grateful to have clients like you!

Timothy

Small Elder Law Practice

Reviewed on 2023/08/08

More efficient, able to handle more business in less time.

More efficient, able to handle more business in less time.

Pros

It took a while, but once I understood how things work it made it easy to manage my client workload. Before I would lose track of matters where the client should have gotten back to me and didn't. Now with tasks it is easy to keep track. Also like the billing options and the automation. I am much more efficient than before.

Cons

Still getting used to billing hourly. I like that it tracks my time, but the entries are not good for billing as difficult for a client to understand. Also wish I could have converted Time Matters client to Smokeball easily. It would have been expensive so I running two databases.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Time Matters was not being updated and had no automation capabilities. Billing was difficult. Keeping track of clients hard.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Primarily automation and intuitive features. Plus I felt Smokeball as a newer product was constantly updating and upgrading and Clio seemed to have peaked.

Response from Smokeball

Thanks for your 5-star review, Timothy. So glad to hear that Smokeball is making you much more efficient than before and helping you handle more business in less time. If you ever have questions or need assistance, just a reminder that our Support and Training is available as part of your subscription.

Richard

Smokeball user review

Reviewed on 2023/05/19

Pros

Product layout, user training, user support, and migration support from a prior product are all great. Feature-rich. Provide a workflow for tasks and has stage control for matters.

Cons

I would like to be able to color code entries on the calendar. The workflow is easy to use but you cannot put tasks on the calendar as an event; they only go on as a task. I'm not great at using tasks that pop up for a given day. I would prefer that they could populate the calendar with a date and time.

PracticePanther Legal Software and Clio

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Abacus was too expensive and didn't have up-to-date features; Clio needed several add-on products, at additional cost, to make it function to the required level. Smokeball covered both issues.

Abacus Private Cloud, AbacusLaw and Clio

Features; support; cost.

Response from Smokeball

Rich, thank you for your review. We're so glad you're finding value in Smokeball and that the transition from your previous software was easy thanks to our migration and support staff. We're always here if you need us, and I've passed your feature suggestions along to our product team.

Jonathan

Never Practice Without It

Reviewed on 2023/11/28

Pros

Complete end to end practice management solution. Fantastic tech support and client account managers. Constantly improving the product for users. Actually does legal template automation (caption and proof of service etc) as opposed to Clio.

Cons

Cost of entry seemed very steep on 3-year contract basis. Because Smokeball integrates with all accounting processes except for operating accounts payable there is a great deal of work to get it stood up. Both of these hurdles are surmountable and worthwhile given the excellent product and service.

Response from Smokeball

Thanks for your 5-star review, Jonathan. We're so glad that Smokeball is providing high-value, end-to-end solutions for your firm. We'll share your positive feedback with our client teams, who are always here for you!

McKenzie
  • Industry: Law Practice

Move to Smokeball- you will not regret it.

Reviewed on 2024/02/15

Pros

Our firm is more productive as a result of having SB. The migration was easy moving 20+ years of data and tens of thousands of matters over. Their customer service is beyond incredible.

Cons

Getting used to the new way of sending out bills to clients, but even then, its still pretty freaking awesome.

Response from Smokeball

McKenzie, thanks so much for your glowing review. We're thrilled your firm is more productive with Smokeball. Our team is always here for you!

Desiree

Reviewed on 2024/02/22

Pros

Document automation, Case Notes, the ease of adding documents together.

Cons

Time tracking doesn't seem to be completely accurate.

Response from Smokeball

Thanks so much for your review, Desiree!

James
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great platform, great Outlook email syncing, just no ability to automatically monthly invoice.

Reviewed on 2021/12/08

My experience with Smokeball was great. If Smokeball had the features I needed that MyCase had, I would have stayed with Smokeball. I liked the look of Smokeball better.

Pros

It was very user friendly and looked easy to use.
Very customizeable.
The Email syncing feature is great if you use Outlook. You can not only send emails when you're logged-in to Smokeball (which connects the email to the matter), but you can also send emails out of Outlook and you can click on a button on the bottom of the email screen and connect that incoming/outgoing email to a Smokeball matter.
Can create custom fields.
Can set-up intake forms with fields, that can be sent to the potential client for them to fill-in that automatically in-loads to their contact info in Smokeball.

Cons

Not able to set-up automatic repeat invoicing. If you have a client (such as a criminal defense client that needs to make monthly payments and want to, when you're setting up the client's case, set-up future invoices to go out to the client for them to be able to pay on-line, Smokeball can't accomplish this. The only platform I found that was able to do that is MyCase. This is a lifesaver for my criminal-defense firm.
It only syncs with Outlook and not Gmail.

LegalEdge

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

I loved the email syncing that Smokeball had/has. But I wanted to be able to pre-schedule emails to go out on later dates (such as pre-scheduling fax-arraignments to go out via email), Smokeball only synced with Outlook and Outlook will only send out pre-scheduled emails 'if' Outlook is open. Gmail will send out pre-scheduled emails whether Gmail is open or not, which, because of the repeat invoicing that MyCase has and that Smokeball only syncs with Outlook, were my main reasons for going back to MyCase.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

I loved the email syncing (if you use Outlook), the document management/creation, the customizeability, and the price is very reasonable.

Response from Smokeball

Thanks for your review, James.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve the user experience with our software, so this feedback is very much appreciated.

Joseph
  • Industry: Law Practice

Smokeball has made a lasting impact

Reviewed on 2023/11/30

Overall, Smokeball has been a great addition to our firm and we thoroughly like it more than our previous case management software.

Pros

What I like most about Smokeball is that it is a user-friendly case management software that helps streamline workflow by integrating various interfaces, which significantly increases work productivity. Moreover, the automatics time tracking insures that I am making the most out of every document I draft, review, and revise.

Cons

The one thing I do not like about Smokeball is the timeframe it would take for their support team to create our templates into forms. Accordingly, my colleagues and I have had to divert billable time to create these "form" documents so that it further streamlines work productivity. Moreover, creating a "form" document is too simplified when certain forms require more complex coding.

Response from Smokeball

We're so glad that our user-friendly automatic time tracking, workflows, and document automation are helping you be organized and productive. We appreciate your feedback around the timeline for templates. We're working to decrease the turn-around times on these. Thanks for your review, Joseph!

Salvatore

Great CRM for Law Firms

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Pros

Smokeball is very helpful in streamlining processes and increasing efficiency. You can assign tasks to users and auto populate a procedure with deadlines and assignments. Very useful.

Cons

There are still some bugs with the reporting feature of the software but the developers and support are easily accessible to assist and they are working on updates and fixes.

PracticePanther Legal Software, MyCase, TrialWorks and Clio

Functionality and features

AbacusLaw

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

It was the only system that could be both cloud and local based.
Letisha

Excellent product!

Reviewed on 2020/11/30

Implementation was super smooth and the support people are so responsive and helpful. It's amazing!

Pros

Smokeball is great because of it's auto document generation, billing integration, calendaring and tasking system, calendar integration, email integration, document version tracking, and work flow set ups.

Cons

The cost is high but that's really to be expected with how much you are getting out of this software.

Response from Smokeball

Thanks for the review, Letisha.

Gitanjali

Financing Scam

Reviewed on 2020/03/19

They appear to have changed their business model from one that provides software to once that makes money off "lending money." The first account managers were amazing. Once we transferred all of our stuff and got used to the software. They started asking us for 3-5 year contracts paid up front with personal guarantors under the guise of them having to finance the contract. In other words even if you stop using their service you will personally have to still keep paying. They appear to have changed their business model from one that provides software to once that makes money off "lending money." Beware. I would stay away especially if you are a small firm.

Pros

User interface, Ease of Use, Accessibility

Cons

Customer support is lacking. Incompatible with VPN and other security software. They seem unconcerned about security issues that result. Fixing invoices is problematic.

Response from Smokeball

Thanks for being a client and leaving a review, Deb. Obviously hearing anything fall through the cracks is difficult to hear, and we'd love to work with you offline to regain your confidence.

Until then, though, I can clear up your two primary concerns:

(1) Security is our #1 priority. It's why all of our software, migrations, and transactions surpass bank-level security. Our secure AWS cloud servers ensure continuity and access without sacrificing data security. We do work with VPN, but ask that firms work with their account managers so that we can configure with your individual set-up.

(2) We have the same pricing model as always. Firms are still welcome to sign up for 12-month contracts. Period. Clients are now given the option to lock in a low price for 36-months, but it is their call, not ours. And, of course, we never require (or offer) 5-year contracts.

Again, we're incredibly sorry to hear any displeasure but want to work with you to turn this into a positive.

Andrew

A Good Investment

Reviewed on 2020/06/19

We are moving toward a paperless office, and have a better sense of organization, because with Smokeball, we know where everything is, and it's easy to find.

Pros

That it is cloud-based makes is usable anywhere: home, office, while traveling. That's especially important now, given the limitations imposed by Covid 19. I appreciate the ability to have all emails related to a case appear in the same place. I like the automation features, particularly for drafting quick letters.

Cons

There are still technical issues involving the relationship between Smokeball and Outlook, and even when everything works smoothly, which is most of the time, the loading of both programs takes a while.

Response from Smokeball

Thanks for your positive response. We'll gladly admit to being a bit more than some competitors but we're also happy to point out that our users get more features and value for the price, too.

Sharon

Great high tech automation but misses on basic options

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

I have gained a lot from using Smokeball, but I have had to give up things that I view as basic and simple needs in exchange. The company is open to hearing suggestions, but they are not quickly implemented. They are aware of the complaints that new users have, but they still don't discuss them in the sales demo. I would suggest buying one license only if you decide to try the software. You can add more later if you find that it works for you, but really use the software before adding more as it will take you a minute to realize all of the simple tasks it can't perform. If you have used other major software programs like Abacus or Practice Panther, you may not feel like the benefits are worth the hassle of the change. If this is your first case management system, you will be happy.

Pros

The integration with Microsoft Word and Outlook are great. Unlike other software programs, they work all the time and are easy to use.
The templates and automation features help you save tremendous amounts of times doing routine work.
The software does not crash and have bugs all the time like the previous software I used.

Cons

This is an out of the box, canned solution. Even on simple requests, ZERO customization is allowed. Also, they are HORRIBLE with allowing you to import data from other software systems. They basically expect each firm to just start over from scratch, other than importing contacts. This is crazy and unrealistic for small or large firms. Smokeball is a one size fits all tool that frequently falls short. It is very difficult to run reports. You have the ability to add labels and input data, but extremely limited ability to run reports to transform the data you have collected into useful information. During the demo, they show you nifty features like automated time keeping, but they neglect to tell you that if you turn on that feature, your invoices will get all messed up. You won't have the ability to itemize or discount each line item of work performed on the case, instead they group them together with a list of daily worked. There is a reason why they do not offer a try before you buy option or a month to month option. You have to sign up for a full year and then you are locked in.

Kathleen

We Love Smokeball

Reviewed on 2023/11/17

We have found Smokeball helped us to increase our revenue due to the automatic posting of billable hours. It was easy to learn and the customer service has been great. The Smokeball staff is friendly and responsive.

Pros

Smokeball streamlined our time tracking and billing.

Cons

I can't really think of anything negative about the version we have. We wish we could afford the more comprehension system, but we are a solo office, and it gets pricey for our firm.

Response from Smokeball

Kathleen, thanks so much for your review. Love to hear that your firm is getting value out of Smokeball and capturing your billables with automatic time capture. We appreciate you!

Joseph

Satisfied customer

Reviewed on 2023/08/18

I enjoy Smokeball and recently looked into Mycase. Do not consider Mycase. I was informed by Mycase that the integration process would be easy and would take 5-10 days. Those were lies. I have 4+ years in Smokeball with over 1000 files.

Pros

I am able to pull up any document while in court along with access to my client. I am able to conduct a conflict check within minutes.

Cons

The billing program requires me to exit out and enter another program. Least favorite part of Smokeball.

MyCase

Response from Smokeball

Thanks for your 5-star review, Joseph. I'm so glad to hear Smokeball makes conflicts checks a breeze and that you can access everything you need on the go.

V. Diane

Associate Attorney

Reviewed on 2020/06/19

Just about the time we got Smokeball we reduced our secretarial staff, so I was forced to prepare most of my own pleadings. Smokeball has made it possible for me to do so. I am always anxious to find out more about what Smokeball can do as, I suspect that I am only using a portion of the total functions available.

Pros

I like the fact that you can click on a file and easily find the document you are looking for; that it tracks your time and can easily be entered into Smokeball billing; that you can find documents by doing a search; that there is assess to the court forms of other jurisdictions and when opened, they are populated with the information in the file; that I am reminded daily about the tasks that I entered; I also like the communicate function which I just found.

Cons

I wish that I could print the memos that I prepare (although I found that I can send them through communicate); I wish there was more training with the pi functions (although I may have missed them); also I wish that I could print the task pages because I often make lists in the "Detail" box.

Response from Smokeball

Thanks for your glowing review. I've forwarded your questions to your account manager who will be in touch in case we can be more helpful getting everything just right!

Edward C

An Invaluable Tool for Lawyers

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

Smokeball has increased my firm's ability to organize our client database and keep it updated and available on a moments notice.

Pros

The organization and accessibility Smokeball provides for my practice is invaluable. The integration of Word, Outlook, and the Smokeball overlay keeps all client matters easily organized and accessible from the cloud. Smokeball was integral for my practice to transition from paper heavy documents to a digitally based system. The ease of access provides on the spot support and client records by laptop or phone when at court or remote locations. As a bonus Smokeball integrates automatic billing through calendar and email events to help me keep track of billable hours. I am, and will continue to be, a dedicated and satisfied user.

Cons

The only con is the necessary time to input basic information on a client and client matter. However, once the initial input is complete it is transferable to new client matters.

Response from Smokeball

Thank you for this positive review. We love hearing the things that are working, but are also cognizant of the time it takes to input new data, too. We're always working to streamline this process for you. More to come!

Deidre'

Good system

Reviewed on 2023/11/21

Good platform, very user friendly and good for the attorney and attorney's office.

Pros

Smokeball is a great platform. I've used Clio and MyCase, both of which are good, but I like Smokeball best.

Cons

The document integration was offered but never materialized. Also could be more accessible for the client.

Response from Smokeball

Deidre, thanks so much for your feedback. We're thrilled to hear Smokeball is your favorite legal software. We'll connect with you to learn more about your needs around document integration. We want to ensure you're getting the full value out of your subscription. Thanks!

Leigh

Smokeball Makes My Work Life Easy

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

I cannot say enough good things about the customer service. The representatives are very knowledgeable about the product and extremely responsive to their customers’ need. Several times, when there wasn’t a solution to my issue, they submitted a work ticket and “created” the solution.

Pros

Our office (small family law firm) loves Smokeball! As a paralegal, my favorite features are the form automation, automatic time tracking and billing entries, the integration with my calendar, file management, and my absolute favorites - the Tasks and Daily Digest Pane features. Attorneys can assign tasks to other members of their teams, which can then be broken down into subtasks to create simple to-do lists. The Daily Digest Pane displays your schedule for the day, making it so easy to track your current and upcoming tasks in a quick glance. I also love the feature that allows you to search for specific words within saved documents (not just words in document titles).

Cons

I love the secure link feature that allows you to send documents to external parties. However, while it's easy on my end, the recipients routinely call me for help and instructions because they can't figure out how to access the documents.

Lee
  • Industry: Law Practice

Smokeball does not have legal forms as advertised; and does not interact with G calendar

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

I foolishly jumped in and signed up for a one-year deal with Smokeball. After I explained the shortcomings of their product and my need to buy additional software to make their software work, I asked to be released from my one year contract. Somkeball denied the request. I would strongly look for a product that is less expensive and has some type of money back guarantee.

Pros

The staff is friendly and tries to assist.

Cons

I bought the software for the forms library that you could use in your practice. I am a small practitioner in Oklahoma. However, the forms library for Oklahoma, and most states, is non-existent. Smokeball costs more than other practice software packages. I purchased it for these forms, but had to buy forms elsewhere. Smokeball does not interact with Google products including Google calendar even with work-arounds. My work was all automated through Google calendar. I worked with trying to use the work-around recommended, but none worked. To use Smokeball, I would have had to buy additional soft-ware. This made the one stop shop advertised by Smokeball not work for me at all.

Response from Smokeball

I'm incredibly sorry to hear this, but want to clarify two points for any likeminded readers here:

(1) It is true that we have more forms in some states than others. That's due to how many active users we have in each state; obviously as we grow in some states we add more forms. When users, say in Oklahoma, sign up and see that they need more forms, they can request that our dedicated Content team pull public forms and load them directly into Smokeball for all users to access.

(2) It is true that we currently don't have direct integration with the Google suite. We do, however, integrate directly with MS Office products like Outlook and Word. Our Sales people in charge of demos should make this absolutely clear in initial conversations, and we will ensure that they continue to do so for all future consultations.

Jill

Recommendations for Smokeball

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Smokeball has brought our files and materials together in one place. Attorney A doesn't keep his files in one place, then Attorney B keeps them in another. They are all accessible to everyone in the office, no matter is they are working in-house, at home or in court.

Pros

The administrative assistant staffing was definitely frustrated in the beginning of using Smokeball. After using it for 2+ years, the staff will fight to keep it. Access of files and documents from attorney to attorney and staff to staff is so convenient. Documents, notes, calendars, etc. are all kept in one area, which saves going from one program to another to access documents and calendars.

Cons

The setup of getting all office files installed took awhile for us to set up. Also, we don't use many of the templates that Smokeball offers. Another con is that some of our users are unwilling to learn Smokeball even though they have been offered training and Smokeball is very willing to train.