Trail Blazer Non-Profit Manager

Cloud-based fundraising software for nonprofit organizations

Dennis P.

TrailBlazer for non-profit

Reviewed on 2020/12/21

Our donation tracking is much improved. Previously it took two people with multiple emails and data entry to book a donation and send thank-you letters. Now one person can complete the entire process and in much less time. Reports are very helpful to the Board and finance. Email campaigns are much improved.

Pros

For basic functions of entering and tracking donations it is very easy to learn and increases productivity. Standard reporting is simple...have not used query reporting yet. Thank you letters and email campaigns took some extra time to learn, but the strength of TrailBlazer is their support staff. They walked us through the steps needed and even performed individual training sessions.

Cons

One challenge is that certain functions are not intuitive. For instance, just changing a donor address took a bit of searching and fumbling, but the knowledge base and support staff get us over these hurtles quickly. We are still struggling with the website connection with PayPal.

Kate T.

The Best Support Team!

Reviewed on 2020/12/17

My overall experience has been positive so far!

Pros

The customizable aspect of Trailblazer is a definite perk for those who want to adapt a software program to fit the language used by an organization. It's simple enough and has all the basics that are needed for a successful CRS platform for nonprofits without breaking the bank.

Cons

Trailblazer is not the easiest software to adjust to. The design intention to be user friendly and easy to understand didn't quite make the mark, the interface is a little bit crowded and confusing so it interferes with the ease of use when you first get started using the software. Luckily, the support team is 5 star and extremely helpful when you first get started. I find that giving Trailblazer a call always helps and the more time I spend with the software, the easier it is to get a handle on how it works.

Michele E.

Trailblazer for Our Pro Life Nonprofit

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Now that I've been using it for a while, I'm able to get things done very quickly and efficiently. I greatly appreciate the ability to sort donors into super specific groupings. Trailblazer has allowed me to segment my donor base with amazing flexibility, with just a few clicks.

Pros

The best thing about Trailblazer is the customer service. The guys are extremely accessible and helpful. They are willing to walk me through a process, or just do it for me - whichever I request. After trying two other donor management softwares that offered little or no help, Trailblazer's amazing service is a welcomed benefit.

Cons

The learning curve for Trailblazer is long. Therefore, whenever I wanted to do something new, I'd run into a wall. It seems like the first six months - at least - were pretty frustrating because there was always a glitch and I could never just get something done quickly. The glitch was in the training, not the software. I'd like to see a series of training videos that we could have our staff watch, in order, so that a general level of proficiency could be attained up front.

Jesse A.

Good experience with Trail Blazer product and team

Reviewed on 2015/01/08

Pros

Customer support, particularly during the training and start-up phase, has been excellent. They are quick and responsive. And their solutions have nearly always been positive -- almost never a "Sorry we can't do that" or "It doesn't work that way" or "We don't have that feature."

Cons

It was not clear to me before I signed on -- and I can't say whether it should have been clear -- that as a Mac user, Trail Blazer is "non-native" in the sense that I have to use Microsoft Remote Connection to access the Trailblazer server and then use a Windows interface. It's reasonably fast. There's almost no lag time with this setup, and it's not as clunky as it could be. But it makes the experience of using Trailblazer a lot less pleasant. I frankly hate the way Windows looks, acts, and feels, and the remote connection is a couple extra steps each time I use the database. The whole reason I use a Mac is so as not to use Windows!

Miranda D.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Trail Blazer is GREAT!

Reviewed on 2017/05/02

I love this product!

Pros

- The Customer Service is #1! They really do answer within three rings and they will walk you through any issues, big or small.
- The interface is simple, clean, and pretty easy to use after a few tutorials/instructions.

Cons

- It's not cloud based, but do your really need it? Only consider a cloud system if you REALLY need it. Otherwise you paying for something you barely use.

Response from Dan

Trail Blazer is a cloud based client-server software package. Your donor data is stored securely in the cloud on our servers. You access your data using the Trail Blazer client application that runs on your PC. If you are using a non-Windows machine (i.e. phone, tablet, Mac) our application is served using Remote Desktop Connection. Plus, Trail Blazer gives you a web app that allows you to access portions of the database from any devices connected to the internet.

Joanne H.

Trailblazer - it's the tech support that makes it work.

Reviewed on 2013/11/05

I used Salesforce for non-profits in the past, and, although the software was free, we spent thousands and thousands in customization and tech support. Trailblazer (which I use for a different organization), by contrast, is a bargain, primarily because of their live tech support. There is simply no replacement for Mark, Kevin, Joel, Pat, and the team that, essentially, keeps us up and running. They are quick to pick up the phone, quick to respond to your problem, and ENDLESSLY patient. While the user interface leaves much to be desired, and I am often wishing that multi-step tasks could be simplified, it's a really powerful program that, once learned, does the trick. Certainly, if you're running a political action committee, it makes sense only to use software like Trailblazer, which makes filing FEC reports a cinch. And while it may not have one or two third-party APIs I might like, it does work seamlessly with our credit card processing company, so that donations go right into our database. If the company invested more resources in development, I'm sure they could make the product easier/better to use. But isn't that true of all software, especially databases?

Chris S.

Traiblazer rocks!

Reviewed on 2014/09/18

Pros

The expandable and editable search function is a great tool. Also, the Thank You letter mass printing option is a big time saver. Coming from Salsa to Trailblazer, I am very happy with the upgraded database and tools, and for a fraction of the price!

Cons

For Mac, the remote desktop is a little slow at times, and saving files to the local computer takes a few extra steps. It's not a major problem though.

Sherri S.

Great support

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Good way to keep contacts and see history of giving. Like the support and easy way to use it.

Pros

Easy to use- and support is fantastic. Lots of videos and pdf's as well as great phone support.

Cons

Takes time to learn how to format email mailings- spacing and inserting codes.

Monica T.

Awesome company

Reviewed on 2011/12/19

I highly recommend Trail Blazer to any non-profit! The capabilities of the system are incredible and the support from the staff/team is unbeatable.

Pros

Trailblazer can do just about any data tracking you need. The program allows you to query a million different things so you can get the right donor list.

Cons

Not always the easiest system to use. Thank God for the support team. Everyone is helpful and goes above and beyond to help and answer questions.

Ryan C.

Awesome product

Reviewed on 2016/10/09

Makes managing the small stuff that much easier. It seems to specifically target non profit organizations and assist them with accounting stuff that the average Joe can't understand.

Tracey V.

Wonderful Product

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Very positive. Customer Service has been EXCELLENT. You won't find a better team anywhere. I am a raving fan and I have used Blackbaud, DonorPerfect and many other fundraising or donor tracking software.

Pros

Trailblazer is used for our non-profit. It is easy peasy to export the data you need. You don't need complicated codes or reports, you can access what you need quickly including event information & ticket sales. It does all we need and then some.

Cons

That it won't allow you to sell tables or golf foursomes and include the names of the guests. This needs to be revised and I submitted this request in October of 2018. You need to be willing to learn some coding to make the features work really well. The mobile piece needs to allow you to open a record and read notes etc. It isn't just for canvassing any more.

Barbara P.

Good Starter program

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

We are able to track donations by events and have a great database for marking!

Pros

the program is very easy to use for donation tracking and works well with Vanco for online donations and events

Cons

Needs some software improvements. Templates don't save the margins for envelopes and do not allow you to have a left sided letterhead. Extracting information for year end letters can be cumbersome but customer service is very good at helping out to get what you need.

Felecia M.

A solution for nonprofits

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

We have zero regrets working with Trail Blazer.

Pros

As a nonprofits that tracks donations, volunteer hours, programs, events, and outcomes, Trail Blazer is easy to use for all individuals in our organization, and if affordable compared to most CRMs. We no longer use numerous excel spreadsheets to track information - rather we can look at the comprehensive pictures of people who are involved with our organizations. (IE Do they attend events, volunteer, and donate?) We also use Trail Blazer to house detailed and complex data to pull for reports. The support team is also very responsive, nice to speak with, and always willing to help immediately.

Cons

Because Trail Blazer was originally created for elections, you have to be creative on how you categorize and define certain data points. IE All individuals are called donors even if they don't donate. But if you can be flexible in how you define certain elements, it works great!

Bekka B.

Totally satisfied - Outstanding customer service

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Simply put this is a perfect data base system.

Pros

While this database doesn't come with lots of pretty buttons to click, the staff at Trail Blazer walks you through every step of set up and is there for you - ongoing - within 2 rings of the phone and email response within the hour - every time. The system is robust.

Cons

There is nothing we dislike about this software.

Riley G.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Good product, great support

Reviewed on 2014/06/12

Pros

Their customer support definitely. It is always easy to get in touch with them, and they've developed an extremely helpful online bank with screenshot photos to easily walk you through the process.

Cons

The email system isn't set up the best. In order to get a professional-looking email, which we've gotten from other sources, we have to know how to code in the technical aspects. This isn't our strong suit and makes mass emailing difficult.

It would also be much simpler if it could interface with our accounting software (Peachtree). We wouldn't have to do a lot of the duplicate work recording donations and such.

Additionally, it would be very helpful if the notification feature could send an email to the responsible party and not just notify their Trail Blazer account.

Response from Dan

Trail Blazer has addressed this email building concern. In October of 2014, Trail Blazer added an entirely new mass email editor called CK Editor. Now, it’s far easier for customers to create their own mass emails than before. It has been well received by our customers.

Laura P.

Reviewed on 2013/01/04

We have been disappointed by the system thus far as we are a MAC/Apple office - the smaller screen and need for Remote Desktop App is cumbersome and frustrating. When I did the demo at home on my PC it was crisp, clear and easy to navigate. We might have made a different choice if I had used the demo on my MAC.

Great customer support - they really do answer by the second ring and they don't give up until you are satisfied. In the first week, I must have called 10 times - Joel and all of the folks were helpful, polite and informed.

I think it is a great system that can do a wide variety of things - our challenge now is to dedicate a staff person who will be responsible for learning all of the "bells and whistles" and making it worth the money invested.

Response from Dan

This points to a deficiency in our documentation. We have since updated our documentation and contacted Laura. If you select “View” from the Remote Desktop Client (RDC) menu bar and choose “full screen,” the Trail Blazer window will occupy the full physical screen, and you’ll get the image clarity Laura referred to.

Sam R.

Reviewed on 2013/01/17

Operation Rebirth is a Christian Boarding School ministering to boys and their families for 37 years. Before purchasing Trail Blazer, we used several different programs to track donations, maintain mailing lists and communicate with our supporters. Now all of of our information resides in one, easy to use database that can be accessed by any of our staff at anytime, in the office or from remote locations.

The implementation of the database took very little time- we were up and running on Trail Blazer the very first day.

While we are still learning to fully use Trail Blazer, it has already allowed us to track campaigns effectively and communicate with our donors instantly! Their customer support is excellent from the simplest questions to the most complex issues they are patient and yet quick to help.

Jennie D.

Trail Blazer gives me back my time.

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

It has really helped me keep better track of campaigns and LYBUNTs. Mailing is a lot easier now as well. It has automated several things that have helped me spend more time working on what matters.

Pros

The Trail Blazer team is so helpful and getting started is so easy. It is easy to search for the information I need.

Cons

There have been a few things that have been hard to do find to edit.

Linda H.

While we are still learning the various functions and tweaking our data in Trail Blazer we...

Reviewed on 2017/04/28

Pros

That we can have all of our information on one data base which will make it much easier in tracking potential donors.

Cons

There are a few features that we would still like to have for our education departments and events and we have spent hours cleaning up the data base once it was transferred over to match with the Trail Blazer system while meeting our needs.

Lee N.

Awesome contact management system, communication, events and more!

Reviewed on 2016/01/27

Not having any coding experience I thought it might be difficult to use HOWEVER, the customer service is AWESOME!
They created our first template for us and it was exactly what we had envisioned.
They have a quick turnaround on any email (Joel!) and are always available by phone (Kevin)!
The you tube videos are helpful too with the graphics as I am a visual learner.
We have several upcoming events and look forward to using the event portion of the system.
As I said we are still in the learning curve but so far it has been a positive experience.
With so many programs available and us being a new nonprofit it's hard to know which one to go with- I'm glad we chose TrailBlazer.

Rut N.

Reviewed on 2011/11/22

CornerHouse is a non-profit that conducts forensic interviews of abused children, teens and vulnerable adults. TrailBlazer Non-Profit Manager holds information of our donors, volunteers, colleagues, referents and more. The database allows us to distinguish between the groups, and the different relationships we have with them. This allows for specified donor drives, email campaigns, and more.

Customer support has been amazing: always helpful, always friendly, and always available. The online tutorials are very good at teaching you the basics and then getting you into more specific areas. The staff is very patient if you have to ask the same question multiple times.

We truly recommend TrailBlazer Non-Profit Manager!!!

Mary L.

Trail Blazer review

Reviewed on 2018/11/12

Also, I haven't had time to really learn the program, so I end up forgetting how to use the software between sessions. It is not super intuitive and can be difficult to use.

Pros

The staff are super helpful. I would like it to perform as our donor management tool, but we haven't gotten to that point yet.

Cons

Honestly, this platform has been difficult for me because I have a MAC and it doesn't translate well. I have had a hard time using the features because of that.

Laura G.

Robust donor management with excellent Customer Support!

Reviewed on 2015/10/28

Our agency has only scratched the surface of Trail Blazer's functionality, but found it to be an effective tool for our fundraising needs. Client support is top-notch; I never had to wait more than a few minutes for help navigating the system.

Dustin V.

Trailblazer

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

I love TrailBlazer! It is the best single decision I've made for my non-profit in the past 10 years! The customer services is outstanding, and I love the system.

Pros

It does SO much! It is light-years beyond Excel and serves us better than any other online system that we've looked into! Everything we do can be exported to an Excel form, it tracks people, finances, events, emails, relationships and so much more. It is easy to use and navigate and keeps us organized. I can run thousands of reports and customize all of it to meet my needs. Training is easy to understand and straightforward.

Cons

The email creation tool could be easier to use for those not skilled in HTML. It can do a lot but it isn't drag-and-drop easy like other systesm.

Agnes D.

Trail Blazer Review

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Overall experience is good. The Attribute section is very helpful. Also - when I call for support it has always been a very helpful and pleasant experience.

Pros

Trail Blazer functions differently than other databases. Once I was used to how to work with it, I like how much I can do with it. I also like the Attribute feature. It allows me to pull out just what group I want to use.

Cons

I use Trailblazer for people to sign up for workshops and events. I don't like that I can't add items to the registration page. We would love to be able to ask things like what Parish people belong to, a title line, etc.. We also have Deacons, Priests, Bishops and the Archbishop and their titles are always used. When signing up they will sometimes add it to the first names block. Otherwise, I have to go back and add it for any correspondence. Also - some of the columns that I think should always show up are different on all of the queries I use. For instance, it would be helpful if the Title always showed up.