Alumni Channel

Online membership and community tool

Michael L.

Alumni Channel

Reviewed on 2010/03/02

The site is simple and easy to use with a quick learning curve. I think it works great and would highly recommend the site for those that don't have IT creatives on-hand to manage and maintain their own website.

Service from the staff is exceptional. Helpful responses come quickly to questions, concerns and requests.

Pros

Chris has been quick to respond to requests for adaptations/customization to the sites and most of the requests for customization were fulfilled. The simple and easy to use system allows me to quickly upload news and other information. The layout makes it easy for users to find new information.

Cons

With 3 different sites to manage, I find the slightly different formats used for storing/reporting alumni data make end of month reports more difficult than they should be.

I would prefer to have the data in a MySQL compatible format that could allow for e-commerce and similar operations.

The current layout leaves quite a bit of information below the fold. especially if there are expanded entries in column one.

When I have asked colleagues to navigate the page, none have navigated below the fold far enough to see past the maps section without prompting.

It would be nice to have greater feedback of usage patterns such as browsing sessions, heat maps, and deeper link analytics.

It would be nice if the page creator utilized style sheets to maintain a consistent look when information needs to be moved off the main page (because of length, tracking, etc) on to a new web page.

Dae Y.

Alumni Channel Web Services Review

Reviewed on 2010/05/13

Recommended if you are somewhat web-savvy, and don't mind using that knowledge to get things going.

Bottom line, the service works to create a community. If that is your end goal, alumnichannel.com will do it.

Pros

Operator is very involved, has good recommendations to create a successful alumni site, keeps on top of things. Implementation of requested features happens relatively quickly.

The service does work to create a community.

Cons

Site has the features, but it feels like it is strapped together, as opposed to having a unified interface. This may only be a con for those looking for an "iPhone"-style interface for making the website.

No way to easily re-design the site, but I'm sure it would be added if asked (I haven't asked yet).

David G.

Any academic group seeking to create a web presence for their alumni or members should go with.

Reviewed on 2009/04/21

Any academic group seeking to create a web presence for their alumni or members should go with Alumni Channel. There are some other similar sites out there, and they either offer a similar level of service for an overinflated price, or they force alumni to pay for every little feature and drive them away. Alumni Channel is the perfect package at the right price. Sounds like an ad campaign, but it's really how we feel about it.

Pros

Customer support and customization. They have been extremely helpful in working with us in set-up, customization of website features, pricing structure, and all aspects of supporting the product. And the site features are exactly what we need for an alumni communication center. Couldn't ask for a better set-up or a more responsive support situation.

Cons

None, really. The only Con that comes to mind is that the product advertiser that is the default on the site is nowhere near as responsive and got or name wrong for a long time. Their loss, as no alumni would buy a product with an incorrect name on it.

Rolland B.

Alumni Channel Delivers

Reviewed on 2010/01/13

If you're looking for an alumni site for your organization, this is the best product out there.

Pros

Alumni Channel provides a robust social network platform for schools wishing to deploy an alumni presence. For our site specifically, they provided a custom setup within days of initial contact which.

Support time for technical or other issues is less than 24 hours.

Cons

A lot of the platforms functionality is built into the core application which from what I understand makes it difficult to make certain changes.

Response from Alumni Channel

Thank you Rolland for reviewing our product. We attempt to keep costs down by streamlining our offering into a centralized template, but depending on your needs and budget we can work with you to accommodate any situation.

Art L.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

The ALUMNI CHANNEL website is our lifeline to our members

Reviewed on 2017/10/28

Increased membership and donations.

Pros

Ease of use and the ability to contact our members with one click. We can send out frequent "blasts" to inform our membership of up-coming events and to fund raise.

Cons

Need more members providing info. We need to provide access to class representstives so that they can provide current information to their classmates.

Ray B.

Would recommend to anyone trying to build an alumni program.

Reviewed on 2009/04/23

Would recommend to anyone trying to build an alumni program.

Pros

Company is a pleasure to work with - they respond quickly to problems, questions, etc. Customer service support is amazing. Product works well, and we have received many compliments on how easy it is for alumni to use.

Cons

Sometimes takes more effort than anticipated to make updates and changes. As an example, I haven't changed / deleted any of the photographs on our alumni site because I haven't had the time to figure it out. Wish that part was a bit simpler. We also need to take more advantage of the product's tools and become more efficient in using them.

Marianne B.

Very Good

Reviewed on 2010/04/07

I absolutely recommend this product. In today's technological world, it is vital to provide this online community outreach to alumni.

Pros

The Alumni Network is an excellent vehicle for interactive communication with alumni. Alumni have the availablity to link to Facebook or Twitter as well as email within the online alumni community. Wonderful asset to have in preparation for celebrating our 50th anniversary...engages alumni.

Cons

Their is some transition to implementation/usage...with picture storage/retrieval, etc. The Alumni Channel has wonderful support in place and is accessible when needed.

Frank C.

Great People To Work With

Reviewed on 2014/05/30

We have been working with Chris Gehringer and Alumni Channel for almost a year. Chris and his staff made our transition from our old web host to Alumni Channel a delight and it was very easy. Feedback from alumni members has been very favorable as to ease of navigating around the website. We had excellent training and even now when ever there's a question we get an answer almost immediately. If you are thinking of setting up a new website, give these guys a call, they are the best.

Greta M.

Excellent for our needs

Reviewed on 2011/03/23

I have no hesitation recommending the Alumni Channel to other educational establishments. Chris has been excellent working with us individually to design a site that suits our needs.

Pros

Fast implementation of personalised changes.
Excellent customer service
The platform is easy to use
Excellent tool for our needs and our Alumni community
Several interesting features.

Cons

None thus far

Johnny N.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Getting better. Improvements are slowly coming.

Reviewed on 2017/08/31

We are able to get more people registered through class participation.

Pros

Ability to add classes to the software. Classes have the ability to have a page within the general site.

Cons

Ability to generate reports. Need more reports. Email blast is improving. Need to have more choices . Need to be able to record finances better of groups.

Jennifer F.

Fantastic

Reviewed on 2010/05/18

We needed a new alumni website that was user friendly. We were recommneded to them by another school and they far exceeded our expectations with service, quality and price.

Pros

Very user friendly. Great value for price. Excellent personal customer service.

Cons

Not as flexible as if you had built your own website...but the pros far out-weigh and cons.

Tim R.

Initial Review

Reviewed on 2012/03/08

Excellent. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

Very easy to use site and addresses almost all of our needs.

Cons

Not much that doesn't work well

Ted E.

Works Well

Reviewed on 2012/08/12

I will keep using it.

Pros

Does the job.

Cons

Requires someone in the organization to monitor responses.

Jared M.

Alumni Channel is Easy, Fast, Fun, and Can Even Be Free

Reviewed on 2010/01/19

While there are plenty of competitors in the current market for alumni and membership groups, I wouldn't recommend any other than Alumni Channel. The products and services offered, features and benefits, and excellent customer service and support - combined with extremely reasonable price points will be the reason that my alumni network will continue doing business with AC for many years to come. Finally, with a very generous referral program, alumni and membership group leaders can run their networks virtually for free by promoting the power and potential of Alumni Channel.

Pros

Founding an alumni network for my high school was a piece of cake because of Alumni Channel's product and service. While I had a background in graphic and web design, pratically none of my expertise was needed from a design perspective. Nearly everything was automated and populating the system with members, content, and event info. was a cinch. Alumni Channel's services are pretty basic, but the number of features provided are pretty mind-blowing even to a designer such as myself. Personally, I bet I'm only taking advantage of 20% of the features provided and more are added each quarter. The customer service is fantastic; I don't know of another service that provides such excellent support and transparency. We secured over 1200 members within two years - all based on word of mouth marketing and Alumni Channel's excellent products.

Cons

There is nothing I can think of that comes to mind about any flaws or constraints with regard to Alumni Channel. Perhaps if I had the chance to take advantage of all the features, I could come up with something that as missing. However, from my experience, based on the needs of my alumni network, there are no issues I can think of at this time.

Antoneta G.

Comprehensive platform, excellent quality team

Reviewed on 2016/03/12

First, I want to say that I offer a good review for platform and team.
I belive the platform is very complex and contains information written for made easy of use . I think it can be an excellent model for programmers.
It is important to collaborate better with colleagues and Chris provide support on request. When I asked in the email I received information support and understanding.
That the strong points I see the complexity of the platform, the diversity of information that can be posted, good possibility of use, excellent quality of people who provides the support from the team.
The weaknesses are: sometimes the platform is open or work hard and yes sometimes errors - does not allow access in a given area, does not register occasionally change entered. Shall be remedied later at the Retry.
As ideas I need:
- for the preparation of changes on the platform, improvements, change appearance, proposals, ideas to know about 1-2 months before,
- for the Romanian language, to be able to use all diacritics - I can not currently use , (if is possible),
- a possibility to have permanent access to the number of graduates of all promotions/all data entered on them - if the graduates may delete their account, this is no longer possible - we have the institutions that require these data as numbers or files with the complete data.

Personal, I will give myself how long it takes for the platform and graduates in future, because I wish to know all about the platform and its use, about my graduates and is an opportunity to use a wonderful platform that this and should cooperate with the team.

Kelly D.

HFS Alumni Site Review

Reviewed on 2010/05/17

Highly recommended to any organization looking for a "home" for its users. Communication tools and registraton process is excellent.

Pros

Almost instantly up and running
Easy registration process
Easy updating/uploading tools
Rich graphics and layout
User friendly for multi-access/admin
Email campaigns and selective broadcasts to groups very useful
Support for questions/custimization of your site is excellent.
Links to other social media is available for each user.
Registered vs. non-registered home page & links provide privacy.
Metrics for admin to track user site access is great.

Cons

None. Met our needs at this time completely.

Florence D.

Curvinci Alumni Database

Reviewed on 2016/03/12

Overall, I am very pleased with this software and I see it having great potential within our community. For the most part it is very user friendly and easy to navigate and use- with the exception of a few technical things like font size/color/layout- but everything else is clearly laid out in the Admin Guide. For someone who has very basic technical skills, I did not have much trouble at all figuring out how to navigate the site and change its settings. Customer service is excellent and I could not have asked for a better support system when building this database. Very friendly and helpful and I would definitely recommend this product to others!

Kathy H.

Mater Dei Alumni Channel Review

Reviewed on 2010/05/13

The product is fine if the administrator has time to be on the site.

Pros

The profile section is good with all the links available. Our rep is good about helping answer alumni questions and using the product.

Cons

I think is it difficult for alumni to put photos, etc. on the website. Actually, they are not that easy for me to add either. The time it takes to pull up the map or whatever it is online is too long. I think the administrator functions could be more user friendly.

Response from Alumni Channel

Kathy, let's connect some time this week or next for a review of the site, including signing up seniors, adding Upcoming Events, adding photos, new photo options, etc.

Nancy C.

I would recommend the Alumni Channel to any school or group that would like to reach out to.

Reviewed on 2009/03/19

I would recommend the Alumni Channel to any school or group that would like to reach out to their community !

Pros

Great site...great support...the community has responded very well to the site. The stie can support a lot of features the alumni find interesting and informative.

Cons

I wish I had more time to devote to developing the site.

Linda P.

Excellence

Reviewed on 2010/01/19

100%, would recommend highly.

Pros

The Alumni channel has been a pleasure to deal with from the first day we contacted them. Continually updated and improving features. Always open communication and the best customer support I have ever had.

Cons

Absolutely none.

Phil S.

More cumbersome to use than it should be.

Reviewed on 2016/03/15

The software is probably good, however as a devout Apple/Mac devotee I find it cumbersome and not as user friendly as I'd like. That said, I don't post, publish or update as much as I should or as I'd like. I published my personal site on Apple's iWeb. Using basic, premade templates, the experience was completely different and I was more than pleased with the results.

Tuesday H.

great customer service

Reviewed on 2011/06/29

I would recommend this to other groups in our position.

Pros

great customer service, easy to use

Cons

it would be nice if there were a cleaner, less cluttered interface

Joe L.

Alumni Software

Reviewed on 2010/01/20

Great software for anyone that want to stay in touch with an alumni group.

Pros

Easy to get started

Cons

Slow to integrate social networking
Inflexible GUI layout

Kelly D.

Admin

Reviewed on 2010/04/07

Definately reccommend

Pros

Easy to use.

Cons

Would like to be able to add a link from the upcoming event section.

Kathy S.

This website has been a wonderful tool for reaching out to former classmates.

Reviewed on 2017/09/02

Pros

I like the fact that you are able to view all users from their respective graduation years, and read their updated bio. I also like the fact that you can post events being held. Since our school has been closed for years, it has enabled us to find and connect with former classmates.

Cons

There is very little that I don't like about it. The only problem I have is sometimes I have a problem sending out email blasts but the support always helps.