Roadmunk

Visual roadmap software for product management

Michelle R.

Easy to use, but very slow

Reviewed on 2020/12/10

Easy to use, but overall we were not able to use this as our sole roadmap solution.

Pros

It's easy to add items and drag/drop items to adjust timelines on roadmaps. Creating different views from the same list of items is a time saver.

Cons

It's not easy to customize the look of each view, or the columns/headers and sub-headers. Adding items to a view are sometimes immediately filtered out, so you have to hunt the items down and update them to meet the filter criteria so they appear on your roadmap. The software itself if slow to load and almost impossible to edit while sharing your screen in a meeting.

Matt F.

Great for what I need - high-level prioritization and roadmapping

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

Pros

I like that it is stupid-simple to use, and lets me do high-level prioritization. I needed a tool where I could look globally at all of our epic-level initiatives and move them around as needed to have prioritization and trade-off discussions with leadership.

Cons

At times it can be a bit slow...when I'm dragging things around quickly it can take a second or two to "catch up".

Rich H.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Roadmunk Rocks

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

Best customer support from any company I have ever encountered. Their overall Product Management culture is also exemplary. I use Roadmunk not only for their awesome product but as a benchmark every day for our client support and product teams!

Pros

Ability to use Roadmunk as feature prioritization tool (and getting better!) and then automatically create beautiful and functional visualizations from same Item list. Terrific for communal efforts and exec/customer presentations.

Cons

Lack of font support (without having to use markup language) for Item
Descriptions... needs better formatting control.
Lack of ability to “create JPG etc” of Item list. Need for presentations of product feature list. (CSV export not helpful for this, sorry!)

Bobbie D.
  • Industry: Maritime
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Pleasantly Surprised Every Time I Use Roadmunk

Reviewed on 2020/11/06

I am the sole user on our team, and the only one 'playing' with the product to get the most out of it. I don't have very much time, but when I am able to dedicate attention to entering our broad-ranging roadmapping wishlist items, I always walk away a little bit delighted and a little bit excited about what we'll be able to show. It does take strategy to make decisions about what fields to include, and that is the tough part to figure out. I scheduled office hours for a 1:1 coaching session, and it was incredibly helpful. The consultant 'got me' exactly. Just the right amt of info for that moment. Of course I'll have more.

Pros

Roadmunk strikes the right balance between allowing you to add custom fields your data and providing prompts and formats for you to include common fields for roadmapping. One example is the ability to toggle between setting dates and putting in buckets. Hand in hand with that is a UI and nomenclature that is on-target and mostly avoids introducing confusion. Care was obviously taken in this respect.
I can also say that the sharing options (to HTML, etc.) are what absolutely seals the deal. Stakeholders can have access to the (constantly updated) product without forcing them to have accounts.

Cons

Sub-items are sluggish to add and move around. As someone who is a power user of Gannt charting programs, it's a little bit of a challenge to get used to the way sub-items work in Roadmunk. I would like to see the ability to configure views so that you can roll up all sub-items under a parent and treat the parent as the only thing that matters in that view. That said, I'm really glad the functionality is included, and I'm optimistic about the evolution.
I also don't like how pale and small some of the UI elements are. I have some mild visual impairment, so the colors help a lot. I would like to see the ability to scale up or down the ratio of colored area to text size.

Lisa H.

Easy Roadmapping

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

This tool achieves the ability for my team to be able to quickly update and manage the roadmap and create different views to address questions and needs of our company and clients. I really love this tool and all the options I have.

Pros

I love the ability to create roadmaps and views on the fly. I can update the data easily and create new views that address the needs of my business and help the teams I work with visualize the roadmap in different lenses. It's easy to use and the new sub-topic option is perfect for the types of complex products and feature sets we manage.

Cons

The only thing, which I hope is addressed in a future release, is the ability to view the sub-topics on the timeline view of the roadmaps in sub-lines that are linked instead of the current hover option. When printing and/or sharing, we need the ability to show those items on the timeline view in detail as well.

Ivan D.
  • Industry: Computer Games
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Expensive, but worth it if you're serious about roadmaps

Reviewed on 2020/06/18

Great, as a PO I'm on it every day. Amazing communication tool, helps me keep myplan together.

Pros

Great visualization features. Very easy to use. Ability to create multiple views. Ability to change display of data on the fly - I've done that several times during a meeting to answer questions from stakeholders.

Cons

Ability to document initiatives can be improved.

Tom S.

Great piece of kit.

Reviewed on 2016/11/29

I trialled a number of roadmapping products before eventually selecting Roadmunk, most of the big names.

I found that for my needs almost all of the competition were hellishly complicated - I didn't need the strategy/business case definition in there, I don't need a JIRA integration, and I'm not managing hundreds of roadmaps.

I was able to very quickly get up and running with Roadmunk and in a very short period of time got to what I needed - a view of the future which I could present to the Board to get sign off on the roadmap.

I've since started using it for more than that - i plan in our architectural/platform roadmap, I use it to work out which of my team to assign to products, and so on. It's really powerful.

My one qualm with the product is that the bulk of the dev/new features seems (understandably) to go on stuff for large customers, and isn't always relevant for my needs. But as I say, the product as it stands helps me a lot.

Noah & the team have been super helpful whenever I've needed anything, too.

Pros

It's incredibly easy to use, and because it's a well thought out product, it is flexible enough to most or all of my roadmapping needs.

Cons

Can be difficult to use in presentations without a lot of work on the colouring.

Mike P.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great and Easy to Use Product!

Reviewed on 2019/03/22

Great experience! Would recommend and have recommended to colleagues.

Pros

This software allows you to very easily track deliverables future and current. I would recommend this product to anyone that manages a large program.

Cons

Two factor authentication should be an easily configured item on this tool to protect the data.

Anand I.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Very helpful roadmapping tool for Enterprise Architecture

Reviewed on 2020/06/27

Excellent customer support and followup to ensure that I was successful using the product

Pros

Ease of use, deployment and low threshold to adoption (intuitive interface and features reduce need for training and reasonable user licensing fees)

Cons

Need support for additional formats to download and port the roadmaps.

Robert W.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Solid Roadmapping Tool

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

The program provides a solid capability to demonstrate a project's roadmap, which I use to show from a feature point of view, a timeline and a milestone view. I can create a URL at the click of a button that users can view without a license. It's an interactive program and I still have much to learn, but in just using the basics, I have found it solid and useful.

Pros

The best feature for Rodmunk is the ability to provide a URL for your roadmap that users can see without having to have a license. This way, others int eh company can follow progress with just clicking on a link which saves on time and I don't have to send email updates.

Cons

The interface is a little clunky at first but has a very quick learning curve. There are many features I have still not learned to use but will with time.

• Industry: Facilities Services

Roadmunk: The Project-Planning tool that's as powerful as the time you put into it.

Reviewed on 2020/01/14

Positive. We don't use it much at all, but it's a useful tool for project management.

Pros

Roadmunk is useful for visualizing timelines and milestones for just about any project you decide to use it for, though it's probably best-used for IT purposes.

Cons

There can be issues with timeline visualization when going between a spreadsheet with all of your projects, milestones, and dependencies, and translating that to timeline format.

Amelia C.

Flexible enough to be useful

Reviewed on 2018/01/02

Great interface, flexible, a great way to communicate with stakeholders.

Pros

The flexibility of the software means you can customise it to really suit how you want your roadmap to be, unlike many competitors.
The different views of the roadmap is really useful.

Cons

It can take awhile to set up to the way you want it. I learned by using a colleague's templates. It's worth the effort to learn if you use it as your primary roadmap tool.

Ashley W.

Simple, yet comprehensive roadmapping

Reviewed on 2019/07/09

Extremely positive - a great solution for providing both detail and high-level views.

Pros

Simple to use, continually adding new functionality. Really great visuals, particularly the "agile-ish" view by category and timeframe

Cons

No major cons - solid software. Would love to see an integration with Azure DevOps.

• Industry: Design

Simple and effective

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

Pros

If you're looking for an advanced yet clean tool for creating a ​feature roadmap, this is a great option.

Cons

Navigation can be a little challenging and inefficient.

William A.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

A great product for visual representation of complex timelines

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

This product is perfect for showing complex timelines with multiple swimlanes, owners, and dependencies. it's also very easy to update thanks to the import export functionality.

Pros

The ability to show a timeline on a display for a presentation and work with it in real time.

Cons

It's difficult to train people on as the database backend isn't what people intuitively understand.

Steven S.

Superb Roadmap Product - Huge

Reviewed on 2019/10/23

We are currently publishing our 2020/2021 product roadmaps to the customer base and it was important to be able to use a tool that was effortless , functional and could produce professional looking roadmaps. I have gone through several iterations of the roadmap and RoadMunk cater for such amendments so well. I saved literally weeks worth of time.
Overall it is a fantastic product and I will be using for a long time to come. A final note, the customer service and help sections are exceptionally good. You can tell a lot of effort went into the support capabilities of the product and it really shows.

Pros

The software is very easy to use in particular being able to create multiple views using the same data set. This is extremely helpful when trying to create an internal and external view of the roadmap.
Secondly, the ability to move items around seamlessly is invaluable. I can switch an item between initiatives, extend the timeline or move it to later in the year in a matter of seconds. I used to use Visio or PPT to do this and I would spend significant time re-drawing and formatting the roadmap. I save so much time with Roadmunk.
Finally I really like the presentation of the roadmap, it looks professional and sharp. The ability to republish and send clients and stakeholders a link, is very useful.

Cons

The performance of the application at time can be slow however not to the extent that it would put me off using it.
I found the formatting to be a little challenging at first, I needed to copy some of the templates however after I learned how to do that, I was fine.

Karen G.

A robust roadmapping tool but takes time to get used to

Reviewed on 2019/12/29

I am still learning the tool but so far it has solved a lot of problems and made my life easier in day to day work.

Pros

So far my favorite feature is the option to have different views for the same roadmap. It's easy to manage your roadmap, make changes and share with other teams and basically anyone who has interest. It makes the roadmap very easy to view and understand, and in the process of creation prioritizing items becomes much easier because of the high-level view. I see an option to integrate Jira which seem extremely useful but I haven't got to it yet.

Cons

It takes time to get used to Roadmunk. The most annoying part is probably it taking time to process changes and sometimes canceling an action because it still didn't load your previous action. In short it is sometimes slow.

Michael M.
  • Industry: Insurance

Roadmunk is excellent

Reviewed on 2020/10/29

Great company to do business with. very quick to support when needed.

Pros

Roadmunk is an easy to use collaboration tool.
it makes it really easy to story map products and customer journeys with stakeholders and developers.

using a user story map gives context to requirements in the wider product.

Cons

The integration with Jira can be a little tricky at times, but other than that its really great.

Michael M.

Great look and feel!

Reviewed on 2020/01/08

We are trying to use it to mark out roadmaps at a high level and feed items that needs to be implemented into JIRA.

Pros

I like the great look and feel of the design, as well as the many features it has.

Cons

It is not quite as straight forward as it seems to use at the beginning. Especially when we need to figure out the details of how it should sync with Jira

Yannick J.

FINALLY! THE roadmap product I have looking for, since years...

Reviewed on 2016/11/14

Honestly, after decade of Project Management and multiple PM + Gantt charts software, even having tried PowerPoint & Excel "high-level roadmap graphs"... NOTHING ever was really working...

gantt have typically bad design... PowerPOint or Excel can create nice design, but there is no data behind it... no automation, no easy update...

And when it comes to Product Roadmap... usually same problem, but hopefully some people GOT IT there, and designed NICE LOOKING & "sexy" charts/roadmaps... but too often there are totally disconnected from data and can not be updated easily... just pure design...

So, long story short: after months of intensive research, I FINALLY found RoadMunk!! The nirvana for me: I could design & present super SEXY Roadmaps... AND construct them based on data, allowing me to pivot dimensions easily and show subset of the roadmap. Sexy AND Powerful!

The unique feature of RoadMunk? The MATRIX view of the data, in addition to the Roadmap view... Fantastic, could not live anymore without it.

Honestly, I searched hard... there nothing better there for representing nice-looking and adaptable high-level Roadmaps! Highly recommended

Pros

NICE LOOKING & "sexy" charts/roadmaps
AND based on data
allows to pivot dimensions easily and to show subset of the roadmap.
Unique feature of RoadMunk: the MATRIX view of the data, in addition to the Roadmap view...

Cons

no direct integration with backend data (Excel, google sheet, Jiira)

Brent J.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

An easy to use, and flexible roadmapping software.

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

We have several different roles wanting to know where different projects/initiatives are at. Roadmunk gives the power to the product team to create a view of the roadmap for everyone. From swimlanes to gantt chart style roadmaps - it's great!

Pros

You can create many different "views" of your roadmap tailored for different audiences (C-level, developers, department managers, etc.) so they see what is relevant and important.

Cons

I wish it had a feature intake/request aspect to it, but it doesn't currently.

Thomas S.

Easy to work with

Reviewed on 2020/01/09

We use it for internal and external communication about our roadmaps. Product Owners use it for planning and forecasting delivery dates.

Pros

Roadmunk is fast, does not require any installation of software and supports nearly everything we need in a roadmapping tool. The UI is easy to understand and requires a minimum of training. I also like how new features keep arriving, many of which cover issues we have had.

Cons

Sometimes navigation between the diffent panes can be confusing

Eric R.

Everyone's on the same page

Reviewed on 2017/01/26

As our company was growing, a lot of the stuff that had been communicated implicitly wasn't getting shared with the team, and it was harder to become aligned. Using Roadmunk helped everyone on the team to have visibility into our upcoming priorities, and give input on them. It's really helped us to knock down the silos.

Pros

The visibility and shareability are key. For the technical and marketing etc teams to just make their project management software open to the rest of the team sounded great, but it gave zero understanding, as it gets too far into the weeds to be useful. Being able to simply layout the high level course and share it around was a huge asset.

Cons

All the software in this vertical is fairly expensive on a per user basis, but in the end, anything less expensive lacked the individual focus on roadmapping.

Stephanie R.

Brilliant road-mapping tool

Reviewed on 2017/02/07

I had to organise an internal conference with approx. 300 participants. The planning started at the beginning of the year, whilst the conference only took place at the end of the year. The core team for this project consisted of more than ten people, who had to manage over a hundred work streams. Roadmunk was the perfect tool to keep track of all the little details and the overview. The tool was very easy to work with and helped a lot to keep this project on track. I can highly recommend it to anybody who has to plan a project, may it be small or large.

Pros

- Easy to use
- Great overview
- Customisation
- Interlinking of timeline overviews

Cons

- Alerts?
- I would need to be able to print the timeline on a A3 format

Peter S.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Agile roadmaps on steroids

Reviewed on 2020/04/30

Benefits realized by using Roadmunk is the ability to speak the same visual language between teams when interacting with roadmaps.

Pros

Crisp views of even the most complex roadmaps with different dimensions to slice by; vibrant color schemes, easily embedding.

Cons

Integration with some other tooling (like custom jira farm or custom wiki software) took more time than anticipated.