Showing 78 reviews of 68

Seema B.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Mixed Reviews

Reviewed on 2019/11/25

Pros

I like the questions asked when i sampled it as it was business scenarios but also tested the areas of interest (i.e. critical thinking, analytical, problem solving etc). This is why I chose it over the other platforms. It has business questions versus abstract questions.

Cons

The HR Avatars slowed it down and I'm not sure if it added any significant value. I found it to be feeling less professional and more like a kids game. But the first few questions asked were good as far as i could tell by doing the test myself. The biggest issue i have is that there are no sample questions in all the areas they test in order for me to determine if this is good test for what i need. The only way to do this is I had to take the test myself. Unfortunately I didn't have 45 minutes in my day to finish it so I had to waste a test. When i had my candidate complete it, the candidate did not do well in one particular area which we found very surprising given how well the candidate did in the interview in this exact area. When I asked for some sample questions or just key concepts tested for, I was advised by customer service they couldn't do anything for me and couldn't provide me with any additional information. Therefore, I cannot verify the relevance and validity of the questions asked. I advised the customer service rep that this would deter me from buying again and I never received a response. The only way i can consider using it again is if i pay for a test and take it myself fully to determine if it is a good test for the job I am recruiting for. I likely won't be doing that and will need to find another provider.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you, Seema, for the candid feedback. Unfortunately, we don't routinely share individual questions for our assessments, and we doubt that any reputable provider does so. We do, however, share the competencies measured on our website, and we often work with customers to help them understand exactly what is measured in each competency. We are sorry you did not have a good experience with our customer service representative and will take action to prevent that from happening again. We would love to have a second chance to earn your business.

Dru M.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Great assessment tool for most jobs

Reviewed on 2019/11/20

Overall it has helped us select people who will perform well for the company.

Pros

It is easy to send to applicants, has fairly straight-forward instructions & the results are broken down into various factors that make it easy to evaluate whether or not someone is a good fit for a particular position in a particular company.

Cons

While I feel the assessments accurately predict who will perform well, I have seen some cases where the individual did not score well on the Avatar but ended up being one of our stars. I think this is due to the fact that there are not exact matches to some of our job titles, so the duties of any specific assessment are not perfectly aligned with some of our roles. I am afraid we may have ruled some people out who may have done just fine if we had hired them.

Response from HR Avatar

Thanks, Dru! It is certainly true that there are false negatives and false positives in any selection process. Our goal, of course, is to reduce these as much as possible. We would be happy to work with you to perform an analysis of those you have hired, correlating their performance and test scores. Our new Talent Analytics reporting section on our website makes this a painless process, but it does require entry (either individually or in bulk) of candidate performance data. Just let us know, and we'll be happy to help you with this!

Suzanne F.
  • Industry: Textiles
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Extremely helpful in hiring the right people for the job

Reviewed on 2019/11/20

It is our company policy now that all applicants must complete the HR Avatar testing set up for that particular position prior to offering a position. This has significantly helped us to employ the right people and reduced our turn-over.

Pros

This software offers all the positions and personality testing to help us to build a cohesive team. We can use this software globally.
It is a great software in that it helps the team lead with digging deeper into the applicants personality or professional background, asking the right questions suggested by this program.

Cons

The con would be that it is not multi-language.

In the very beginning we did find that there are applicants skilled in test taking that can score very high and seem to be a great fit. However, as stated above if you ask the additional questions during the interview process it helps to find the full picture on the applicant.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you, Suzanne. We are actively translating our tests into other languages, so hopefully we will be able to address all of your candidates in the near future.

Rob L.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

No more boring assessments for US!

Reviewed on 2020/09/14

We love it! We will perpetually budget for this as long as it serves our purpose.

Pros

We came from using Total Testing. This Integration with our current business process went uninterrupted. Candidates are more engaged and this is very in-line with our fun and results-driven company theme. We're able to gauge candidates' skills and qualifications a lot better using the data and analytics provided. Whenever there's been an issue (only two historically), they were responsive, literally within minutes, and delivered positive results in record time. Highly recommend!

Cons

Well, you gotta face it, it's a piece of technology. So, with that, you're gonna have one or two hick-ups now and again. Too many, sure, it's a waste of time and money. But we have not had an issue since using it that did not get immediate attention in MINUTES.

Response from HR Avatar

Hi, Rob! Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that our software made testing more engaging for your candidates, and we are glad that it's a good fit for your company's business model.

Robert C.
  • Industry: Automotive

Different Style of Testing

Reviewed on 2016/11/21

We have used in the past for Customer Service, HR, and other technical positions. The reports are broken up into different categories which make it easy to tell where a candidate excels or needs improvement. This style of testing makes it easy to gauge computer skills. I particularly like the attention to detail score it provides. I do wish that there was some explanation in terms of how the scoring is done. There are a lot of positions I wish I could test using HR Avatar that aren't an option.

Pros

Attention to detail.
Testing computer skills.
Interactive style.

Cons

Would be nice to have more positions available.

Response from HR Avatar

Robert, Thanks for your great review!

Score explanation: This is now a feature of our reports. With our summer 2016 update, we added a detailed explanation of the scoring to the end of the score report. It appears on any test reports run after that release.

Additional tests: We have over 200 tests for specific job positions. The test titles are based on the US Dept of Labor job titles, so the titles might deviate from other commonly used job titles. If you search the catalog by your job title, it usually will find the right test, but if not- let us know.
We also have 450 skills-specific tests. If there is a test you'd like to see, please let us know. We create new assessments based on market demand and we would like to hear from you.
Thanks again. -Bill

Ma. reneth D.

HR Avatar Pre-Employment Assessments

Reviewed on 2019/11/21

Breathe of fresh air for HR practitioner like me.

Pros

Ease of use, customer service, very friendly and accommodating staff and value for money.

Cons

None. Everything is very innovative and very promising.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Ma. Reneth!

Sara L.

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

It's horrible. Software is rubbish and useless, customer service ditto, they take days to return emails and days to return calls, their tech support consists solely of taking 48 hours to tell you to clear your browser and then hanging up; I'm so done with this it's not even funny. Guess what, I can't even be considered for a job that I applied for i I don't use HR Avatar's assessment, which doesn't work and they won't fix, so I guess I'll just stay unemployed. Never ever buy or use HR Avatar.

Pros

Absolutely nothing. The assessment I was sent for a job interview didn't work; 15 steps of troubleshooting later and a week of not hearing anything from HR Avatar but "clear your browser" and I guess I can't even be considered for a job. Thanks for the broken software, stress, and horrible customer service, HR Avatar.

Cons

Everything. Nothing works. I was supposed to do an assessment on this software so I could interview for a job; the software did not work, of course. A full week after contacting customer service, all they said was "clear your browser", which was the first of 15 troubleshooting steps I undertook before calling them. It took them days to email me that, it took them days more to call me and tell me that, and since then, radio silence. Never buy their software, never use their software, never deal with these people because you're just wasting your breath.

Response from HR Avatar

Hello Sara. We are sorry that your experience with HR Avatar was not a positive one. We serve over 1,000 customers a day who do not have difficulties completing the assessment, so the problems you had must have been unique to your computer or device. We are determined to make sure every customer has an easy to use and beneficial experience with our products. Would you be able to share your phone number with us? We would like to contact you, troubleshoot the problems you had, and help rectify this situation. Thank you for your feedback.

Rosan R.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

User Friendly Product

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

Great. We were able to identify High Potentials in our organization.

Pros

HR Avatar is very user friendly from the test administration and to answering the assessments. You won't get lost in a sea of instructions unlike others.

Cons

Need to strengthen its ability to capture plagiarism esp those copied from the web.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Rosan. We have recently implemented web-wide plagiarism checks through a third party provider for this very reason. Hopefully that will address this issue.

Candela R.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Oral test

Reviewed on 2019/11/13

Pros

The English oral test has bad connection and bad audio, which makes it hard to please

Cons

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Candela! Sometimes firewalls can block media files. This is usually solved by testing from a different location, or companies can open their firewall if a lot of testing will take place. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Sharon S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Good selection tool

Reviewed on 2019/11/20

I use it mostly for recruitment for clients. It is one of many tools that I provide and is often used in combination with other psychometric assessments.

Pros

Detailed assessments, helpful in recruitment process

Cons

I'm never very sure if the test key has been sent or not. Have had to find work arounds to get the test key to people taking the test as they aren't receiving the email from HR Avatar.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for the review, Sharon! As you know, we've implemented individual email tracking for all candidate emails sent from our system. The tracking includes an indication of when an email was opened by the candidate. We also allow you to send test keys by text message.

Laura G.
  • Industry: Insurance

Great Recruiting Tool!

Reviewed on 2019/11/13

Our company started using HR Avatar Assessments to assist in our recruiting process.

Pros

I like that the assessment results are easy to read and offer feedback that is easily comparable.

Cons

I wish there were more tests offered, specifically for different levels of the same position.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Laura! With over 230 different positions covered, the tests are meant to span the range of abilities for that position. However, we will consider your suggestion.

Todd B.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 2019/11/13

Last year, I issued a few hundred candidate assessments; only one of them experienced an issue. Compared to other services, HR Avatar increased my efficient and significantly reduced inefficiency so that I could focus on my team while handling onboarding tasks.

Anytime I have ever needed assistance, the Support Team at HR Avatar has always provided a prompt response to address the question, concern, or general feedback submitted.

Pros

The software is generally easy to use. I take advantage of the Assessment Battery function to create a bundle of pre-employment tests into a single issuance.

Cons

There really is nothing that I do not like about this software. Though, if I had a wish, it would be to enable the ability to limit completion via mobile and tablet devices.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Todd! Do you mean that you would like to require completion on non-mobile devices or on small screen devices? That's something we have wrestled with recently. We would appreciate your thoughts.

Glenn S.

Great Hiring Resource!

Reviewed on 2019/11/18

Overall I really love th HR Avatar software. We currently just use it for the Pre-Hire Personality assessments, but are looking to use it for many other positions that we hire for. It has been a great resource for our hiring managers giving them the ability to identify good candidates faster!

Pros

I love how easy it is to view the applicants test results. It has a summary page that breaks down each competency and even goes into details. Very easy to read and navigate through. I also the animations before each test is given to each of our applicants. Great way to engage them before the test is taken.

Cons

I do not like how we cannot integrate the test into our current ATS. We currently use Saba Jobvite and I can automate the test link for applicants, but the data cannot be put into our ATS. We must get it from the HR Avatar site.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Glenn! We will be happy to investigate integration with Jobvite. We will be in touch!

Marie P.

Using HR Avatar for hiring the right candidate

Reviewed on 2016/10/28

I signed up for HR Avatar, after having to terminate two people I hired for an Administrative position, because the skills they claimed to have they did not possess. HR Avatar allowed me to customize a test to determine if the candidate possessed the skills the position required.

Though at first I was skeptical of having the applicant take a test before I interviewed them, it proved to be beneficial. So many candidates did not bother to start the test, and some started and never bothered to finish (it was interesting to follow the candidate from the first time they accessed the site, or that they never even attempted to, and each time they interacted with the test site). Those that never started or did not complete the test told me all I needed to know about themselves and I was able to weed them out. It was a nice perk too, that if the candidate never started the test, that I could request my credits back, since they weren't used.

One thing that I did, which would be a beneficial addition from HR Avatar, was to email the candidate to let them know that I was sending them a test via HR Avatar, that was required to be considered for the position, including the approx. length of time it would take to complete the test. I never wanted the receiver to think it might be SPAM and disregard the test. My email letting them know what was coming seemed to me to be the extra step for the candidate to feel safe utilizing the test site, and to know to watch for the test, since we implemented a cut off date for each test to be completed.

I am happy to say that we did hire someone who completed the test, and she has been employed with us for 6 months. I would use HR Avatar again when I need to hire someone

Response from HR Avatar

Thanks for the feedback, Marie.

In account settings you can modify the test invitation email template that is sent to the candidate so that it contains your personalized message and signature. Contact us if you'd like us to walk you through it.
-Bill

Jan B.

HR Avatar has a lot to offer

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

HR Avatar supports their software - The customer service here is incredible - I have always had my questions answered or my needs addressed.

Pros

The software is video interactive, simulating real life situations that a candidate could encounter. Tests may be mailed out individually or in an email blast - I have the option of sending none or multiple reminders that the link is waiting for a candidate. and I am notified as soon as candidate has completed the test. The summary is both graphically represented and has a written summary. The assessment review has great follow up questions to ask if your candidate scores in an area that is other than what you are looking for.

Cons

Some of the technical assessments were not what we needed for a particular skill-set - However, HR Avatar is very open to customizing a test for us or anyone else.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for this review Jan!

Frank B.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Don't hire anyone without HR Avatar!

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

I wished I had known about it earlier. It would have saved me the time, effort and the cost of some poor hires! I've used it with two companies that I've been at and got my wife hooked on using it for her company. She swears by it as well. The alternatives to HR Avatar that I looked it were far too expensive for the smaller organizations that I've led. HR Avatar provides objective data that when combined with subjective interviews gives a much fuller picture of a candidate. With HR Avatar I can hire with confidence.

Pros

It works! HR Avatar is easy to administrate and it provides assessments for numerous types of positions. Most importantly, I've found the assessment reports to be incredibly accurate and the suggested interview questions very helpful in employee candidate selection.

Cons

Truly, no negatives with HR Avatar! It works as advertised.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Frank!

Emily R.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Customer Service Representative (with Emails and calls) Assessment

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Pros

This software provides our candidates the preview of what the position is truly like and gives them more of an understanding of what will be required of them if they are hired for the position. I really like the camera feature as well so we can truly see if the candidate is taking the assessment by their self or if they have someone assisting them.

Cons

On top of receiving their overall score I wish it would say from 0-49 this candidate is not recommended, 50-74 moderate performance potential and 75- 100 high performance potential. It would make it easier to go through the a lot of assessments at one time without having to click on each one and view the scores individually.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for this review and the feedback, Emily! Thanks for the suggestion regarding score presentation. We are always looking to make the results interpretation process easier for customers and will consider your idea carefully.

Joshua matthew R.

HR Avatar Review

Reviewed on 2019/11/21

HR Avatar is very helpful in screening applicants as it can determine where applicants are having a hard time dealing with and it also shows the potential risks upon hiring the candidate. It makes the job of HRs easy and efficient. Though I think the price can be adjusted. Other than that, I have no other problems. Kudos!

Pros

This software has helped our recruitment process big time since everything is digital already and doesn't need any papers. It is also very friendly for applicants as well.

Cons

To be honest, the price for each test can be very expensive for an exam.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you, Joshua! We appreciate your feedback about price. Actually, our analysis shows that our prices are slightly below the middle-of-the-range for reputable competitors. Unfortunately, there are many less reputable providers who do not take sufficient care with their assessments and who tend to compete strictly on price.

Taryn T.
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 2019/11/19

Pros

Easy to send to candidates and I like the interview guide questions

Cons

The interface could be a bit more modernized

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Taryn! We are open to hear your suggestions about modernizing the interface that might better suit your needs.

Michael S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great Pre-Employment Tests

Reviewed on 2016/11/16

We really like that there tests simulated a real world working environment. We felt that this gave us even more confidence that if someone scored well on this test that they would also do well on the job.

Have to say deciding to administer pre-employment tests prior to conducting interviews has been by far the best HR decision I have made for our firm. Truly takes out the guess work on whether someone is a good fit for the job. We have hired our first candidate who do well on their test and will keep you posted on whether they work out or not. Thanks again HR Avatar.

Pros

Simulates real world environment
Extensive test results with interview questions

Cons

Interview questions are not always relevant to what needs to be asked
The per test model is nice if you have narrowed down the candidates but expensive if you want to test lots of people and/or test for multiple positions.

Response from HR Avatar

Thanks for the review, Michael. We also offer a subscription pricing model and I'll reach out to you directly to discuss some options.

Jan H.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Review from someone who took the test

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

It was laughable. The only people who will benefit from this software are people who are not willing to take responsibility for evaluating the candidates they hire. If any future company tells me that I have to take this test, I will tell them I am no longer interested - and why.

And, I'll bet HRAvatar won't keep this up on their website .

Pros

I only liked the essay portion. That part was good because it made me think and offered me an opportunity to show that I have a brain, know how to write a coherent sentence, and can write an effective story that is also captivating.

Cons

As someone who has 30+ years hiring people in six for-profits companies and four nonprofit organizations, using the HR Avatar Employment Test sure takes the pressure of of hiring personnel to do their job effectively. I took the test last night, and felt that part of it was fairly effective. However, it was far too long and the Excel portion did not seem to be working at all. When I tried to click on what I absolutely knew was the right answer, it would't take my answer. Other parts seemed to be testing how much you could remember about some rather random HR questions and business situations.

Response from Shoa

Hello, thank you for your feedback, and we are glad you enjoyed the essay portion and I'm sorry you only found part of the test fairly effective. You are correct in that the tests are designed to help hiring managers and recruiters with their decision-making and making the process more objective. The tests also give applicants a chance to demonstrate their attention to detail and problem solving skills. I'm very sorry to hear you had trouble with an Excel portion. We take applicant experience quite seriously. If you could contact our support email ([email protected]) we would appreciate it so our tech team can investigate.

Thank you again for the feedback!

Kelly J.
  • Industry: Warehousing
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Reviewed on 2019/11/13

The candidates liked the testing. We were able to use it to discern if we wanted to move candidates to the next level based on the results.

Pros

software is very easy to use from a user standpoint. the avatar interaction allows the candidate life like interaction.

Cons

Like most industries Wastebuilt has unique job titles which may or may not match the exact test you need.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Kelly! We have enjoyed serving Wastebuilt and would be open to positions that we may not currently be addressing.

Pamela J.

HR Avatar Experience

Reviewed on 2016/10/28

HR Avatar is a great program that has truly made a difference in how our company's hiring process functions. This program is so easy to use and offers such incredibly detailed feedback. I would absolutely recommend this program to other businesses.

Pros

The ease of use

Cons

We didn't purchase it sooner

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you!
-Bill

Amy C.
  • Industry: Nanotechnology
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Well crafted tool, but LONG assessments

Reviewed on 2019/11/13

Overall, I like the idea in concept. In execution, the assessment is really only helpful for us to use with very standard positions, such as administrative assistants. I like the interface alot, but we have stopped using the assessments with candidates because we felt the assessments were too long for what we wanted.

Pros

Really like the way the software is set up- interactive and well designed.

Cons

We had trouble with the camera working for some of the test takers. We also found the assessments to be way too long to ask a candidate to take. The customizing of the assessments feels complicated and so the actual assessments were not always targeting what we wanted.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review, Amy! We recognize that the tests can be lengthy, and these are not always appropriate or practical. So we recently introduced a full line of Short versions that are less than half the time of the full versions but still cover the whole person. They've been very popular. Please check them out!

Mike C.

Amazing Service and Spot On Testing

Reviewed on 2016/10/28

We had a session with a representative who explained thoroughly how the HR Avatar sire works and the company philosophy pertaining to methods and results tailored to a specific job. Their list of available industry positions was impressive and we were able to find tests that matched our job descriptions. This was a pleasant surprise. The test results were easy to evaluate and we have had excellent results with two management hires. I recommend this product to any company with high quality standards.

Response from HR Avatar

Thank you for your review!
-Bill