Optimum HR Reviews

4.6/5 (66 reviews)
Leanna C.

Scheduling drama

Reviewed on 2016/03/14

From the beginning (2008) we believed this product would be an upgrade from the product we were currently using. However, we found out shortly after we started training that it was in fact way behind the product we had been using. That was a bit frustrating for me. We have 250+ employees and the ease of the Time and Attendance portion of your product was not very useful. It still takes longer than I would like to edit the punches and make changes to the employee time cards. The schedules don't allow a lot of wiggle room. (ex. if the employee takes a lunch earlier or later than "scheduled" it appears on 2 lines and becomes an edit, and the same with the in punch too early or outside the "schedule" it becomes an edit.)
The payroll processing it super good especially if you have automatic times cards with I do for my machine shop. And the supervisor payroll is all automatic so they are pretty much error free. I have issues of using the Rate Table for our insurance premiums and then when the employee doesn't make the entire premium payment, I have to run an entirely different report to see that. I would like to see it print on the deduction deviation report along with the other benefits and deductions that does not get taken from the employee check it would just make sense that way. This Software is always trial and error and has been from the beginning. Improvements are coming often and I would really like to see it all become more user friendly and less time consuming.

Calixto R.

Optimum Soluitions

Reviewed on 2016/03/22

Overall, Optimum Solutions provides a phenomenal HR/Payroll program that is easy to use. With respect to "pros", Optimum Solutions' customer services is outstanding - particularly Mr. Dave Collazo; who is always there to assist me with any questions I may have. Should he not be immediately available, he is always good at returning my phone calls and/or answering my emails.

The only con that I can think of regarding Optimum is the many bugs that seem to pop up from time to time. For example, on PTO cash-outs, any amount of hours cashed is not automatically deducted from the PTO bank; thereby requiring that I manually deduct the hours cashed-out. Also, for some unknown reason, we always receive a scheduling error on Saturdays and Sundays; which also require manual correction. Please note that there are other minor bugs - nothing we can't cope with; but it would be nice if the errors could be eliminated. Several copies of our database have been sent to Optimum with no avail.

In light of these minor issues, I still continue to praise Optimum and its customer service; and will recommend it to anyone looking for HR/payroll software.

Thanks!!!

- Cal.

Annette S.

Nextek's Review of Optimum Solutions

Reviewed on 2012/04/16

Our company has been using Optimum since 2007. Optimum is a great cost effective tool which has allowed us to continue generating payroll in house. They are always open to suggestions on how to improve current features as well as suggest new ones. The support staff is knowledgeable and eager to help. They have great implementation teams that walk you through every step of the system set-up. I highly recommend Optimum Solutions software for all your Payroll or Human Resources needs.

Pros

HR, Payroll, and Time and Attendance are fully integrated. It's easy to use and the support staff are great. Optimum offers an annual conference for their users which allows you to attend classes and interact with other users. Optimum stays on top of Payroll Law changes and implements updates to the system as needed.

Cons

Not all the reports have sort functions and some have limted sort functions.

Melanie H.

An amazing solution to punch cards and hand calculated hours!!

Reviewed on 2016/03/14

We transitioned from time punch cards that were totaled by hand and then inputted into a payroll processing software. The biometric hand scan eliminated employees clocking other employees in. The ease of the flow from time & attendance to payroll has saved us countless hours!!

Customer support has been very responsive to my emails and questions.

The training and implementation process was amazing.

The reports that come with the software are not as customizable as I would like. We haven't yet had the time to figure out the report-writer part. I would also like to see development around the training information. It would be really helpful to be able to create training programs that I can mass add employees under so that I don't have to go into each employee individually to add the training. Usually I have 50 people go through a training class at a time. It would be so much simpler to add them all at once.

Kathy G.

Optimum Solutions Payroll

Reviewed on 2015/01/27

I really enjoy Optimum Payroll. It is user friendly. When you need support you just send and e-mail or call whichever you prefer and if you don't get them immediately they are very good about getting back with you in a timely manner. The people are friendly, courteous and helpful.

The only thing I don't like about it is that when you go to change something technical you will probably have to change things in several different place so I usually have to call support to make sure I haven't forgotten something, but the everyday running payroll and working with employees is very straight forward.

Overall I would say that it has certainly been a step up for us and I have enjoyed using it now for three years. There is a report for anything you want or need and they make saving electronically as simple as printing to hardcopy, so I save more than I print and that is a plus all the way around.

Ryan S.

Great Payroll and HR System!

Reviewed on 2016/03/17

We have been with Optimum for about 3.5 years and we have not been disappointed. We looked at several different vendors and chose Optimum due to price and how well we liked the software after the demo. Optimum has excellent support staff and user friendly software. I recommend being very involved with the Set Up process as that is the best way to learn the ins and outs of this software. It can be customized to fit the needs of your company! Did I mention the support staff are excellent!? They always do a great job and are very friendly.

The only "con" I can think of, is that sometimes it takes a little longer to get "non-emergency" items resolved. With that said, they do get them resolved and usually in a reasonable amount of time! After all, they were "non-emergency" items!

Would definitely recommend this company!

John H.

Good software for HR

Reviewed on 2016/03/16

We have had a good experience for the most part with Optimum. The software really has everything HR needs to use and then some along with a very capable way of securing the interface and back end from users. Their tech support is top notch and I haven't had any issues that have persisted for very long. At times the updates they send out have had some bugs in them and were not fully regression tested, but they have fixed any issues from such. I have had on several occasions had to restore from backup, but that has not happened for over three or four years. When we've had issues due to database changes in the updates or other things (mis-clicks by users) tech support has worked hard to find a solution and not just point fingers at why it isn't their fault. They work hard to keep problems from being a show stopper.

Donna P.

Optimum Solutions Payroll Software

Reviewed on 2012/04/16

We have been using Optimum Solution's payroll software for about 10 years. We have been very satisfied with their product. The software is very reliable and their customer service is excellent.

Pros

Excellent customer service.

Cons

When we implemented the software, there were no instruction manuals. We had to develop our own.

Response from Optimum Solutions

Thank for your high recommendation on customer service.

In regards to not having instruction manuals, you are correct, we were limited with our documentation at the time you became a client. The good news (for others!) is since your implementation, we have added a lot of new documents including implementation manuals, self-help manuals and recordings of implementation sessions with our clients to refer back to, for training purposes.

Thank you for the feedback and we welcome any additional comments.

Martha H.

User Friendly

Reviewed on 2016/03/16

Optimum is a user friendly program with helpful and guiding features. When you set up a new employee the system guides you through all of the screens to complete the entries so nothing is forgotten. When you pull a payroll in all of the information you need to check and make sure your payroll is accurate is in easy to find reports.

The only fall back we have found is in running reports for audits. We have to run several different reports to get the information we need and some reports do not give you totals or the number of employees on the report. We have employees in different states and need to break out what state they work in and there is no way that we have found to accomplish that.

Eric G.

Ajax Turner Company

Reviewed on 2012/04/19

I have and will continue to recommend OSI to any person that will listen. The relationship Ajax Turner Company, and myself personally, has built with OSI has been an enjoyable and educational experience.

Pros

Customer Service is OUTSTANDING. The customer support team is cooperative, attentive, and can speak on my level. They can be creative in developing solutions to issues whether major or minor.

Cons

With version 6.3, we have recently experienced a limitation with non-taxable pay codes. As our needs have grown over the past several years, OSI has been able to meet those needs each time except for this most recent event.

Katie T.

Great customer support

Reviewed on 2015/12/02

The biggest con I have with the software is that I can't customize what information is seen on the employee listing screen. You see name, SSN, phone, emp # and status. Most of that information isn't important to me. I would like to be able to select what field I want to view on that main ee listing screen.

I have had extremely positive experience with the customer service rep assigned to us. She is very easy to get along with, knowledgeable, precise and accurate--a true professional. I have enjoyed the annual conferences as well and Optimum is very good about keeping us up-to-date on things like tax changes.

Donna B.

H & M WAGNER REVIEW

Reviewed on 2012/04/16

We would highly recommend Optimum Solutions to any business!

Pros

We have found Optimum Solutions Payroll to be very user friendly. We especally like the time and attendance application. It is so nice to be able to pull down any report we need with no problem, and if we need to put it into a spreadsheet it's very simple to do. Our customer service rep., Whitney is very helpful and friendly and always gets back to us in a timely manner. I would highly recommmend Optimum Solutions to any business.

Cons

We have no Cons to report.

Patricia F.

Optimum Software is very easy to use.

Reviewed on 2016/03/16

Optimum Software is a nice product that is easy to use. The support you receive during installation and initial workings is tremendous. Annette Griffin was wonderful to work with and made us smile while we were getting our "homework" done. As our facilitator, Whitney Reynolds also did a great job of answering our "now what do I do?" questions when we hit stumbling blocks. Now that we're out of our new phase, answers aren't quite as quick but we do get help where we need it. We're still working through some reporting issues, but overall we are very pleased with this software.

Bradley C.

Great HR and Payroll software; It gets the job done!

Reviewed on 2016/03/15

PROS:
Once set up it flows through processes very well. It is very flexible in getting data to other outside applications and updates are timely.

Every problem I have had has been dealt with quickly and effectively. Even if regular support was insufficiently equipped to solve an issue there has been no hesitation or time lost in getting someone that knew the deeper ins-and-outs of the software.

CONS:
Sometimes when calculating pay (100+ employees) it runs a little slow. The organization of some of the different sections and areas seems a little convoluted in places as well.

Michelle M.

This software has cut a lot of time and human error in our processing

Reviewed on 2016/03/14

I love that it automatically calculates minimum wage and overtime. I like that we can put in future dates for rates. I do not like that we cannot terminate someone in the system and it process pay for them. If we want to process the pay we have to manually add them to the payroll. Also don't like that if an earning code is not attached to someone, but we import that earning for that person it will pay them based off the rate from the pay screen. It should send an alert like it does for the benefit codes. Also don't like that you can verify time with pending PTO requests.

Delia B.

Excellent product and support

Reviewed on 2016/03/16

After 38 years of payroll experience this is a top notch product, we have used this program for over 10 years now and could not be happier. It gives you all the information you need and then some. There is a large number of reports and most can be converted to excel. You have the ability to track company vehicles, employee drivers license and much, much more. Further, the customer support is the best I have ever seen. They are always there for you and they make sure you understand and are satisfied. I would recommend this product to anyone.

Charis A.

User Friendly Optimum Payroll

Reviewed on 2016/03/14

Easy to learn and use. Lots of options to choose from for reporting purposes. ACA Reporting feature is top notch.

When entering information into the fields, I would like to see more sticktoitivity. If you place your mouse in a field, click there to enter the information but then move your mouse ever so slightly, you are no longer typing in that particular field. You are typing in la la land. I would like to be able to click in a field and have the cursor stay there unless I tab or click in another field.

Debra L.

Using OSI since 2009, when we went to Syspo ERP

Reviewed on 2016/03/17

We didn't really compare payroll systems as we moved to Syspro. Initial training was problematic, but a different trainer made all the difference. I have been happy with the software. There were a few minor changes over the years, that I was unhappy, but we must not have the only one because they changes were changed back. Tech support is very responsive and I like that I've dealt with pretty much the same tech representative during the majority of the relationship. They have a good, stable group of people there.

Kathy J.

Easy to use software and great customer service

Reviewed on 2015/12/05

I have been using the software for 15 years and find it easy to use and train employees to use. We use the green screen version and we are able to customize it to our needs. Customer service is always quick to respond to help with anything big or small.

We utilize Time and Attendance, Payroll, HR and ESS for our employees. We no longer print check stubs as the system allows for emailing check information and the ESS system allows them to print and view all check stubs and W-2 information.

John J.

Life with Optimum

Reviewed on 2015/01/28

I have used the Optimum Payroll, T&A and HR software for the last four years. With over 38 years experience in accounting my exposure to various programs is extensive. My experience with Optimum has been nothing but outstanding. Their support staff has always gone out of their way to assist in my operations. Especially in keeping me up to date with payroll changes and using Optimum in the most efficient manner. They have made my life easy in a complex and constantly changing environment.

Timothy L.

Solutions - They have them

Reviewed on 2016/03/14

I've been using this product for over 5 years and the company has had it for 8 years and it has been a great product. Create and run your own reports (no waiting on an outside vendor). Make changes on the fly or as often as you need. Company can write customized programs to work with the software. Optimum is constantly improving and maintaining their data and keeps the consumer aware of changes happening or needing completed. And the customer support has been first rate.

Amanda K.

User Review

Reviewed on 2015/01/19

Our company as been utilizing Optimum Solutions for payroll since 2012. Our company includes 28 locations, 10 states and 6,000 associates. Payroll is completed at each location and the corporate office (myself) handles the state and suta files, w-2's etc. Optimum seems to work ok for our company except for a few glitches here and there. The part I would like to see improvement on is the customer service. Most of our other companies/third part administrators have a very good understanding of our company and how we operate. I would like to see that from Optimum. When I call with an issue, I don't want to have to explain how we operate and all of the little details. I would like to see our representative know everything about our company and be able to answer a question quickly and give insight on what would be best for our company. I realize we aren't the only company our representative takes care of but I think it would be a huge improvement. Thanks!

Kelli W.

Over 8 years working with it-fantastic product

Reviewed on 2016/03/11

We love the ability to keep our payroll/human resources in-house as we manage 650+ employees in a multi-state environment. No need for 3rd party vendors in any arena. The payroll/hr/time&attendance modules all integrate very nicely, are easy to use and we can get what we need done with a very small staff. Customer service from every department at Optimum is top-notch in professionalism, efficiency, flexibility and all-around nice people to work with.

Krist H.

Payroll at it's Simplest !!!

Reviewed on 2016/02/25

Payroll is complicated but with OSI they walk you through the implementation. You have to remember as you are using OSI that it is NOT your previous payroll software because they make it easier. I found in the beginning I was trying to make it work like my old software and it created more time and frustration for me. Once I realized that OSI is less complicated and more streamline I signed a relief and never looked back!

Peggy W.

Quite possibly the smoothest conversion ever!

Reviewed on 2016/03/21

I have presided over/conducted conversions on IBM systems for over 30 years. My experience with Optimum Solutions may quite possibly be the easiest, smoothest implementation and conversion I have experienced. A very knowledgeable staff, and very easy to work with.

There is a lot of information and functionality in this system, so focusing on the areas that are most important to your organization is critical.