MatrixCare Home Health & Hospice

Scalable, connected, cloud-based EHR for post-acute

Chris G.

GAH Brightree Story

Reviewed on 2016/11/04

Overall the experience has been a great option for our Field Staff. The office side and reports have not been what we really would like it to be. The field staff seem to really like the iPad. They went from using large lap tops to the iPad and have seen better bedside documentation due to it helping not be such a "barrier" for them. I like how it helps with compliance and makes sure you document so that you are covering all the required information needed for Medicare. As with any electronic devices, the issues are connectivity, have some difficulty when updates come along, glitches, etc. AFO has recently made some major updates and we had some issues with it, but we contacted Chris from Brightree and he took the time to go through each of our frustrations and helped get resolution to this. Feel that with the update some of the AFO process takes longer, but it is getting better the more I use it. Our biggest issue is the reports. Our business office does not really trust the reports and have had many issues and reporting of different issues throughout the time we have had Brightree. I use several reports to make sure I do not miss anything and not all reports give same information and back up each other. We still do a lot of manual tracking to ensure we do not miss anything. Which in return is costly and time consuming. But if you do not trust what you are getting from a source you always double check your results to what you manually log.

Pros

The easier accessibility for Field staff with the iPad. Feel that all the Medicare changes are incorporated into by Brightree therefore we are documenting towards what they will require if audited.

Cons

The reports do not feel they are reliable. We do a lot of manual tracking along with the reports and we do continue to see discrepancies. When reporting an issue the turn around on answers is very slow. Also, we feel we give adequate information when we report something, but we always get that it is not enough or want the same information again that we already gave.
Going back to when we started the super user process was very stressful and feel should be over longer period of time. Just watching 100 hours of video and then going to the device was not helpful. We actually problem solve many things on our own. We did have a time that we actually new more about the system and how it should work than the one who was suppose to be teaching us. This was in the first few months of learning and then launching the system! We did not have on site training it was all by dialing in and on a time limit.

Pierce D.

Costly but fully featured and constanly developing

Reviewed on 2019/06/19

Very professional group that know their product well, and are eager to help find solutions to issues that come up. Software (once setup and trained) is easy to navigate.

Pros

-ease of use for field staff (iPad App)
-lots of built in reports for getting data out of the system
-easy to contact support and get resolutions
-constantly updating and developing enhancements to the product
-constantly keeping customers up to date on reg. changes, and upcoming product changes and timelines
-documentation is straight forward and easy to follow
-order compliance features keep us compliant with orders when scheduling visits

Cons

-takes lots of time and training to get used to
-scheduling components lacking compared to old solution
-expensive compared to our old solution (we were grandfathered into a very old rate so this was just us getting into modern licensing costs)
- only guaranteed 100% comparability with their Web product by using Internet Explorer (which even MS says you shouldn't use anymore!). Only about 95% of the product works in Chrome or Firefox.
- lots of time spent (months before deployment) learning and setting up the product. But they have streamlined this as much as i think they can.

Stacy H.

Brightree is the best healthcare software out there

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

I do not work for the company that had Brightree any longer and I truely miss it. The software I use now is awful! (Homecare Homebase)

Pros

From my past experiences Brightree is the easiest, most user friendly healthcare software available. Each admission is separated so you are not guessing. Information you need is readily available. You don't have to search and search. I love that the cert period is at the top of every page. All physician orders are in a neat, tidy format and can be sent/resent from your PC as well as tagged as received signed by physician all in one place. Visit management is my favorite. It is easy to differentiate between a regular visit and an oasis, and if the visit is open or closed. The order frequency is shown without digging for it and the clinician responsible is clear (all very helpful for the billers). Communication notes are also neat in appearance, in one place and can be filtered. Scanning documents into the system is easy and multiple docs can be scanned at once as separate documents. The medication profile is also neat and easy to configure. Same with the diagnosis profile. The scheduling console is so easy, immediate updating, all the field staff has to do to see their visits is sync their device. New referral input is seamless. As long as you have the information to put in a referral can be complete in minutes. The support that you get with Brightree is outstanding. If there are any questions or issues the staff is helpful and polite, and will have a resolution quickly.

Cons

The only con I ever found was opening scanned documents. I seemed to take a while to open, but I'm not too sure that wasn't due to poor internet capability. Some days it was not good and other days it was perfect.

AR Manager

Reviewed on 2018/11/08

Pros

Good for sales order processing.
Technical Support is excellent. All very knowledgeable about the deficiencies with this software. You will get to know all of them well because you will call them often!

Cons

Worst system for AR that I have used in 30 years experience in AR Management. Cannot track patient statements for early out agencies. Lengthy pick up and exchange process if you need to change insurance. No recalculation of claims when price table is updated. Each claim would have to be manually pick up and exchange. Revenue Cycle Worklist does not act like workqueue's in that a person must manually assign account each day. No productivity reporting with Revenue Cycle Worklists. On and on and on. If you want to hire several more FTE's, take on multiple manual processes and collections is not important to your company, this software is for you!

Joseph F.

Best LTC Charting system

Reviewed on 2020/09/13

Overall a great product. Order entry is simple, the free text noted allow for maximum information to be displayed to readers and the color coded EMAR makes med pass so simple.

Pros

I love the ease of putting in orders, free text progress notes and the color coded EMAR tabs. Orders are a breeze to process.

Cons

No real cons to speak of at this time, matrixcare is the easiest charting system I have come across in my years.

Kaye B.

Good concept, needs work

Reviewed on 2017/04/07

Overall this software feels like a new product that still has a LOT of kinks and bugs to work out and does not instill confidence in the user.

Pros

Very user friendly for clinicians and covers most of the basics of home health in office. The basic ideas are all here but each area needs fine tuned to work more efficiently for individual companies. Attractive interface for both AFO and iPads that is very easy to teach to even the most technologically challenged clinicians.

Cons

Not easily customizable and very poor customer service response. We have many needs to be efficient in our daily behind the scenes functionality that the software does not support, simply because it wasn't thought out thoroughly. All HH agencies have the same guideline to follow for compliance so these issues would have been worked out long before now.
Initial training and software implementation process were disastrous. "Super users" were barely educated enough to be functional but were expected to train and then to be technical support for the rest of the staff. I have been involved in many software changes in my career and this one was one of the worst as far as preparation. The office staff we were not shown how this software would integrate into our daily jobs. We were just shown how to be barely functional with no way to gain the knowledge after implementation.

Barb L.

Thanks Brightree

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

Faster charting time and turn around time with signed documents from physicians. Task hotlist allows us to catch issues in a timely manner

Pros

Ease of use and the way the assessments flow on ipad to lessen charting time after visits. The task hotlist, doc. tracking, and reports on AFO which allows do much better communication and tracking of our documents.

Cons

Seems there is so many things to learn and if you don't use that particular item daily it is easy to forget. Sometimes have to log in multiple times on the ipad for it to accept password.

Amy H.

Overall Great Software for Hospice

Reviewed on 2017/04/07

Our Account Manager has been great! He's always quick to respond to any questions or to follow up on open ticket items.

Pros

Brightee provides an application for charting visit notes on the iPad, which allows for ease of charting in patients' homes. There are cost savings due to staff no longer using laptops that have to be maintained or serviced, and overall the system is fairly easy to learn and navigate.

Cons

There are occasional glitches in the software that causes the application to have to be deleted then re-installed, but this is not very frequent. The ability to access Brightree's AFO side in Safari is not yet fully functioning but we know eventually it will be. There can sometimes be difficulty with technical support staff understanding issues that you may be experiencing, but they will continue efforts to problem-solve until the issue is resolved.

Stacy H.

Brightree software is easy to learn and navigate.

Reviewed on 2017/09/21

I personally love the Brightree program. I also believe the support team does a great job when I have opened tickets. Fast and accurate!

Pros

I am a biller and scheduler, which makes both jobs easier to understand in the program. Scheduling with Brightree ensures frequency's are entered correctly and in turn makes checking visits at billing time go smoothly.
There is no fear that regulations are met with this program. The task hot list notifies us of any upcoming regulated tasks needing attention.
It is not hard to find any info in this system. everything is where is should be.

Cons

Internet access in the field is needed to use the communicate feature.
Sometimes updates are too drastic

Jessica M.

Reviewed on 2017/02/17

I called Customer Support often, sometimes a couple of time a day in the beginning, and everyone was always so helpful. Team always took the time to explain things in a manner that I could understand. They made me feel like I was very important and my needs and concerns were important to them. They never made me feel like I should have known the answer. They were very kind and friendly. Now I hardly ever call Customer Support because the system really is easy to work with once you get a handle on things. I love all of the reports that are available at my figure tips!! Makes my job as the Director of Quality & Compliance so much easier!!
Thank YOU Brightree!

Pros

Great Reports
Task Hotlist

Cons

Brightree University is hard to "search" to find trainings

Sherry C.

Brightree AFO

Reviewed on 2017/02/20

Brightree is very functional and easy to use. As the only biller in the office, I sometimes have questions and Brightree University usually has the answers and a step by step guide that I use.

Pros

When I have an issue, I can call or email Brightree and usually always get a response within 24 hours. That's very important to me. The folks who respond to the questions are always courteous and helpful.

Cons

We are having some problems with our private duty business unit. But, I'm sure a lot of that is because it is not a common unit for most agencies. However,
I have no doubt that the problems will be solved in time.

Sherri M.

Brightree eases the stress of EMR's

Reviewed on 2017/04/13

The overall program is truly wonderful, i am pleased our entity uses it

Pros

Brightree is always updating the program to keep up with the latest regulatory requirements.
It is easy to follow and flow through the charts

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to get a response from the IT department... they are all very kind, but if it is not a easy find, then it can become a long period of time before one may get resolution to their problem.. usually if i am waiting on a call back, i am the one who usually calls.. i have gone weeks without responses.

Chauna B.

Customer Service

Reviewed on 2017/03/13

Brightree customer services representatives are very helpful in explaining the product and how to operate the system more effectively. They are always very pleasant and friendly. If issue is beyond their capabilities they always escalate the issue to a higher tier.

Pros

Simplicity of the software.
Very basic step.

Cons

Careanyware messages, unable to be saved and can only have 50 at a time.
More info should be listed at the top. example: Patient name, MR#, Cert period, address, contact and MD would be very helpful.
Moves a little slow some days.

Slade B.

Business Intelligence

Reviewed on 2017/02/25

Our hospice agency started using Brightree Hospice software in November 2014. I like how the software takes an interdisciplinary approach to care that hospices require. It also drastically reduces the amount of time spent preparing for our IDT meeting. The interdisciplinary care plan is clean and easy for the clinicians to add or make changes. I also like the scheduling component as it does not allow a visit to be made without an order. This helps keep our agency in compliance.

Pros

I like how we have been able to get rid of our paper charts and now everything is in one location - in Brightree.

Elizabeth S.

Everything is at your fingertips!

Reviewed on 2017/05/08

I was not happy changing from our previous program but have found the ease of use with Brightree surpasses our other program! Thank you Brightree...

Pros

To be able to access chart easily. Having medical history so handy means so much when you are out in the county

Cons

I understand about having to sync after adding information but is there any way to only do a complete sync once a day, and a shorter one when changing or adding information? Just thinking...

Lesley G.

Hospice software

Reviewed on 2017/04/12

The use of IPads has made bedside charting easier. Operating program is user friendly. Screens are easy to navigate. Varying degrees of customer support, depending on the day.

Pros

Optimal system for IPads et opening charts during patient visits. Screens are easy to navigate. Orders at careplans are easily updated.

Cons

Glitches at frequent updates affect program function. Although these do not happen all of the time, they can significantly impact efficiency. Should offer education with significant changes/updates. We need to be able to pin more than 50 patients at a time.

Jennifer R.

Brightree simplified the transition from paper to electronic records.

Reviewed on 2015/09/28

Pros

This software is very easy to navigate and the company is continuously working towards enhancing their products and making processes as simple as possible. The customer support team is courteous, professional, and efficient, working diligently for solutions to any glitches we encounter. The training process was efficient and thorough. Every individual that we have dealt with Brightree has been professional, helpful, and interested in our success.

Cons

The Help Center and Brightree University are not as easy to navigate as the software itself. Also, our device of choice is the iPad, and not all tasks can be completed on the iPad, requiring the use of two devices; however, Brightree is aware of this concern and working toward streamlining and condensing all processes onto the single device.

Jana Y.

Brightree Home Health

Reviewed on 2018/03/09

BRightree is the best company I have used in my home health experience, it is our third or fourth system

Pros

Allows sufficient charting, doesn’t require internet in the homes, Customer support is quick to responc

Cons

Sometimes the syncing processes can be lengthy, it appears that each time an update is completed something else then has to be fixed

Christy L.

Program has several flaws, but overall good product.

Reviewed on 2017/03/06

Pros

Program easy to learn, especially on an IPad.
Customer service very friendly and always willing to assist with a problem.

Cons

Program requires too much syncing time when documenting, it becomes frustrating at times.
More geared towards Home Health than Hospice

Donna B.

Easy to navigate through the system, when keying in my bereavement.

Reviewed on 2018/01/31

Easy to go from one place to another. Step by step for putting in contacts on bereavement, looking up visits.

Pros

Its easy, fast and has step by step guides. Very easy to find what you need on a patient. When updating a patients contact or checking on a visit.

Cons

Sometimes in looking up the contacts on a patient its a little slow, when you update patients contact information. But not a major problem.

Dino D.

COMPLIANCE

Reviewed on 2017/03/28

Overall what really impressed me with Brightree is it's commitment to COMPLIANCE, especially with the clinicians documentation against the patient's Plan of Care. Brightree forces the clinicians to address the patient's goals and interventions.

Pros

EASE of use for the clinician's in the field with the iPad. It doesn't take long for a clinician in the field to learn the software.

Jana Y.

Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

Easy to use once trained properly. Brightree allows for the use of IPADs in the patient's home which as a nurse I have found to be convenient and makes charts easier while in the home.

Pros

Ease of Use once trained

Lynette D.

Great point of care software!

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

This is the best home health software i have worked with!

Pros

Saves in the cloud no hitting save, or more importantly FORGETTING to hit save and losing your work! Great point and click options but always has an "other" spot available for a narrative if the options do not apply.

Cons

App shuts down suddenly (but re-logon to saved information), if you have more than 50 current patients you have to unpin some to look at new information

Tara S.

Great Hospice Software

Reviewed on 2017/05/11

Pros

This hospice EMR is easy to use and the reporting section is outstanding. DOC Tracking is a great tool.

Cons

I was not pleased with the initial setup and training processes. I would like to see the ability to enter a referral via the iPad and not AFO only. I would also like to see specific state requirements integrated into Brightree. I would also like to see sync times lower and the AFO side a little faster.

Lynette D.

Great point of care software!

Reviewed on 2017/03/15

Pros

I feel the documentation piece is the best point of care software i have worked with. It gives me great options for clicking, but if i need to elaborate there is always a notes option to allow for a nice narrative. Also I LOVE that i do not have to save all the time!

Cons

At times the software will shut down in the middle of the visit, but i have not lost any information when this has happened!