SmarterSelect

Online applicant & application management solution

Sue S.
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

5 Years with Smarter Select

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

I feel that the tasks of managing the applicant files and the voting process have become much more streamlined since we started using SmarterSelect.

Pros

Before we found SmarterSelect we were mailing out paper applications and keeping hard copy files of all applicants. SmarterSelect made the whole application process so much easier.

Cons

There are times when it would be nice to actually call for technical help but for the most part they are very good about responding quickly.

Katie M.

Definitely saves me time

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

It is very useful to be able to have all my applications in one place and to be able to extract data as I need it. I also like the fact that the system keeps all of my old applications and applicants in case I need to refer to them.

Pros

-Receptive to feedback
-Fairly user friendly

Cons

-Applicants have to sign in in order to complete apps. Sometimes, I don't have a need for someone to sign in and would like to have the option to turn that off.
-Sometimes have issues with App Rules and Common Applications

Response from SmarterSelect

Hi Katie,
Many thanks for your review! You can turn off the sign in option on the Program page by selecting Survey.
Thanks,

Kim K.

simple, efficient, user friendly

Reviewed on 2017/11/16

Pros

I like the layout because it is easy to read. Editing is a breeze. I love the price and the features that come with it. I appreciate the technical support and their flexibility to listen to suggestions and try their best to incorporate them into the software. I love the online recommendations and the ability to link to a common application.

Cons

I don't have the capability to receive emails when applications have been submitted. It makes it difficult when we have an open grant cycle and final grant reports are filled out at different times. I have to keep going in randomly and check for new submitted apps. And there is no way to keep an application open without a deadline date.

Response from SmarterSelect

Hi Kim,
Many thanks for your review! I'll have our Support team reach out to provide info on how to get notified when apps are submitted. And, stay tuned in 2018 for the "no deadline date" function.
Thanks,

Sue A.

SmarterSelect Scholarship Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

It has been a positive experience overall. Our first year was very successful with bringing student's to our programs. The customer service is quick and efficient.

Pros

1. It is easy for the student to apply online.
2. Not dealing with paper.
3. More students have access.

Cons

1. The initial set-up of the programs.
2. Working in small boxes on the program page or the editing page.

• Industry: Higher Education

Smarter Select has been very easy to use and has served our students well.

Reviewed on 2017/11/16

Pros

Ease of use--both for our staff and for our clients--is the most important feature of all. Being able to sync with our CRM system is an added bonus.

Cons

Sometimes it's a little harder to get something done than we might wish. We'd love to be able to do more customization of look and feel.

Response from SmarterSelect

HI,
Many thanks for your review! Stay tuned in 2018 for info about customizing the look and feel!

Mrs. W.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Good Deal For the Price

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

I have been using SmarterSelect for 4 years, I would recommend their services.

Pros

Easy to use, love the option to create your own scholarship layout.

Cons

I wish it had more functions at the lower cost-point, hopefully my budget will increase in the future to purchase the upgraded software.

Response from SmarterSelect

Hi Jamie,
Thanks so much for your review! We have enjoyed serving you over the years.

Daniel G.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great!! Service is constantly improving for the better and it is simple to use.

Reviewed on 2017/11/16

The ability to manage our scholarship program makes this service ideal

Pros

It is extremely simple to create new forms and I love the evaluation & recommendation features. It is an ideal tool for managing a scholarship program and it is priced very reasonably. Amazing value.

Cons

I wish it would integrate seamlessly into our data base so that there is no need to navigate in and out of platforms.

John D.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Great scholarship platform for the money

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Pros

It's great at helping us easily and efficiently capture scholarship applications, track applicant information and review applications.

Cons

It's not the most user friendly and intuitive when it comes to creating applications. Running reports is more challenging than it should be and customer support isn't always immediately available. I'd like to have the opportunity to jump on a quick phone call with customer support, but that's not usually available.

Wendy R.
  • Industry: Philanthropy
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great way to offer applicants an easy way to apply.

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Ability to add/change applications as needed for different groups (scholarships or grants).

Pros

How it allowed us to do away with paper applications, saving money and making it easier for applicants.

Cons

We started at the very beginning when SmarterSelect first came out. Since then, desirable new features come with a higher price tag.

Colleen A.

Grants applications

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

We are narrowing down applications for awards & the system allows a concise way to look at the information.

Pros

It was easy to use. I could compare some of the documents & that made it easier to make decisions.

Cons

Some of the documents didn't import correctly.

Vickie M.

Need more support and Training

Reviewed on 2016/08/29

We purchased this under the direction of our Business Office Manager. I had not done my research, however that doesn't mean that this isn't a good product. I believe it is a great product, but there should be some type training, tutorials that comes along with it. I was flying by the seat of my pants, knowing I can figure out most things, this really pushed the limits.

I used this to gather the information needed for the scholarships we were implementing this year. I didn't know how much time it would take to make it happen and to see where changes need to be made. The representative was nice whenever I talked with him, he was quite knowledgeable, that really helped me.

The assignments for the reviewers, I never could get that.....I didn't do that part. I hope next year, we will be able to get our money's worth, because we could have put that $1000 into the scholarship and had another student.

Pros

See above

Cons

See Above

Response from SmarterSelect

Hi Vickie, Thanks for your review! Please reach out to our Support team and they will be happy to schedule additional training sessions for you

Michael F.

I have had a very good experience when using this format. I have found the features to be...

Reviewed on 2017/11/16

Pros

I like the functionality of this software. It can do so many things and basically everything you would need it to do and so much more. I like how you can add specific fields where later you can pull records for that specific question. It makes it a lot easier to look for things within applications

Cons

I think that it can be a little confusing at times. It can be difficult to use sometimes if you dont already know how to use the software.

Natasha L.

Great!

Reviewed on 2017/11/17

Pros

It is pretty straight forward, easy going. I love that I am able to easily locate duplicate applications.

Cons

The wait time for a new page to load is a little too long for my liking. If that would speed up it would be great!

Kathryn S.

My experiance using this software was applicant management. It was overall great!

Reviewed on 2018/03/08

Pros

The customer service is great! I had many many questions while I was needing the software during out heavy recruiting season.

Cons

The software is somewhat confusing and there seems to be glitches in the system. Everything that I found out was incorrect however was easily fixable which I greatly appreciated.

Ryan T.

I have used Smarter Select for scholarship applications.

Reviewed on 2017/11/16

Pros

It's fairly straight forward and integrates with Salesforce. The user interface is pretty. My team seems to like it.

Cons

It would be nice if it attempted to auto-fill the field to field integration, such that I could just make corrections where needed.

Holly W.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

You can't go wrong with SmarterSelect

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Pros

I have done a lot of research into software that could improve the work we do at our Foundation, specifically our management of a 65+ scholarship fund portfolio that kicks off nearly $500k each year.

SmarterSelect allowed us to take our manual paper process to an incredibly efficient, streamlined, paperless approach. Since implementation we have increased our application submissions by over 400%

Cons

The ONLY reason I might consider another software is for the integration aspect. Our Foundant and Blackbaud have similar products but the edge they bring is the ability to integrate with our accounting software. That said, I am still not convinced that the integration will improve our system because I truly have been so pleased with the product, and the price, that SmarterSelect has to offer.

Paige J.

The platform is easy to navigate and very helpful. I do have issues with getting responses...

Reviewed on 2017/11/16

This has helped our program streamline our application process. It also makes it possible to contact applicants and receive documentation more efficiently. Thank to this program we are able to track metrics and properly evaluate our recruitment and program.

Pros

I love the new features and how easy it is to contact/update applicants. Creating our own blast emails and having the capability to edit pre-formatted ones also helps us with our unique application process.

Cons

Whenever I have an issue with the platform, or unsure about the limitations of a feature I find it difficult to contact customer service or a specialist. The "Submit form" process is not personable and difficult to explain the issues I experience. I would prefer to have an account manager to discuss how to maximize the efficiency of the platform rather than the videos, which are not helpful in our unique process. Also, I would like to have the capability to split the application into phases, and not sure if that is possible with this platform.

• Industry: Events Services

Smarter Select and Competition Submissions

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Smarter Select saves time for me in my work day. I like how I can easily pull a report and add evaluators. I love your "Support" tab on Smarter Select.

Pros

I really love how user friendly this is for Evaluators

Cons

There are a bunch of tabs on the side of the program that I don't know how to use. For Example... it takes me a ton of time to try and find how I change the abstract

Response from SmarterSelect

Hi,
Many thanks for your review! Please reach out to our Support team and they will be happy to schedule a training session for the tabs on the side of the program.
Regards,

Stephanie S.

SmarterSelect Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Pros

Our staff loves how much paper and file space we save with using SmarterSelect. Our scholarship and grant applicants love the ease and availability of submitting applications online. The support we receive from the support staff when encountering a problem is done in a timely manner. The training webinars and libraries are helpful and informative.

Cons

It doesn't intergrate with our current grants management software.

Mary P.

DCF to SS

Very Very good

Pros

The ease in use and understanding the software. The cost was very affordable. There is good value for the cost.

Cons

The support is only available via email. You cannot always explain the nuances or a complicated problem via email, but you try. And then the answers come back not always on point. There is sometimes a loss in translation. To be able to talk to someone would be helpful sometimes.

Kate M.

Great Value and Easy to Work with

Reviewed on 2017/11/16

We are able to more efficiently manage our programs!

Pros

I love the ease of being able to work with applicants and evaluators in an easy way. Communication, documentation, and management is easy through SmarterSelect's software

Cons

We have to use a separate program to work with matching our applicants to scholarships. It is also hard to know what evaluators and applicants are seeing through their view as an administrator.

Barbara S.

Make your scholarship season easier

Reviewed on 2016/08/29

We have been using SmarterSelect for several years. It has significantly reduced time and paper consumption. Students and parents when asked about the usage of our application are very pleased. Guidance departments are also happy with feedback on our application for local students.

We are a Community Foundation with approximately 55 different scholarships. They have many different criteria and school districts involved. We have two distinct rounds, based on date. We use the software a little different than other clients of SmarterSelect. We want all our applications within one form for the students convenience. We also export and upload our finished applications in a different way for the evaluators than most clients of SmarterSelect.
Customer service has been amazing! They are always ready to help and find solutions to our complicated application.

Pros

The sorting, reporting, and exporting make the application grouping to committees very efficient.

Cons

Because of our insistence to use only one application, The app rules on our application become very complex. This is not a mark against SmarterSelect, however it requires more use of SmarterSelect's customer services resources. Wish it would be easier for us to adjust on our own without requesting assistance.

Kristen D.

Our association couldn't be happier!

Reviewed on 2017/11/28

The ability to use this software for many different areas of our business. It has expanded more than we had originally intended because of the success rate with the program.

Pros

We love that it is so versatile! We are able to adjust each program to meet our needs and easily contact support if needed. The evaluation process is super easy as well!

Cons

The inability to merge program data with other program data without exporting out of the website. It would be nice to be able to move applications into different programs, especially those that are repeats.

Ashley H.

Smarter Select Review

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

We are using Smarter Select for Scholarship Applications. It is a great system for this which stores all the applications and information for us until we are ready to process them. We have also branched out a little more this last year to use this software to collect the Scholarship Acceptance Forms, too. Very easy to print them (when necessary) and collect all the information we need to process the scholarship checks!

Pros

The ease of copying a program to use again next year (with a few date changes, etc.) This is a great benefit and saves the user a lot of time!

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to find exactly where to change the wording on a section or page. I have to fumble through this every time but I eventually find the right section to click on to change the information.

Jennifer B.

Extensive use has been a success for our Society's programs

Reviewed on 2016/06/30

I have had a great experience going on 6 years now with Smarter Select. Someone is always available to answer my questions or help me with a problem. They would walk me through step by step if I needed it.

Pros

I like that I can build my own applications or start with an application someone else has already added to the library.

Cons

If only they would manage my programs for me!