GoCardless

UK's leading online direct debit provider

4 /5 (18 reviews) Write a Review!

4 /5
Robert H.

Great for Gaining payment on time

Reviewed on 2018/10/02

Great experience I love using it.

Pros

I Love using this software, as I struggled getting my clients to pay their invoices on time, now I get them to sign up to this, allowing me to take a Monthly or a weekly direct debit.

Cons

Slightly time consuming to use, having to manly enter details on to the system each month.

Scott H.

Although a good product painful to get verified and customer service non existent

Reviewed on 2018/07/19

none

Pros

Dashboard easy to use good for cash flow and easy of collecting payment. Customer support very dubious seems to be like the original PayPal struggling to keep up

Cons

During verification you are encouraged to accept payments. When it comes to the final hurdle difficult to get hold of anyone. Keep quoting FCA rules but FCA does not support some of there procedures and has said it is not them insisting on accounts being the same legal entity as the application. When support does pick up the phone no one is able to help you have to email and get email responses of 3.5 days which is a joke. If you can ignore the banner to put payments in do not add any customers until you are completely verified otherwise you are help to ransom and your money stuck in there account .

Neil R.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Very easy to use affordable solution

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Awessome

Pros

Excellent service and product, good pricing and makes accepting direct debits possible for smaller businesses that dont have the need to pay out to do it via other means. easy to use system which allows you to be in control of the process and lets you see what is occuring

Wesley S.

Gocardless- ideal for trusted customers.

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

As a tutoring agency based in the UK (Athena Tuition) we were looking for additional ways to allow our customers to pay us. We already use Stripe and were happy, but Gocardless provides even cheaper (1%) rates, which we are in control of payment timings for.

Pros

Very Low commission
You pull the money from their account (no delay with payment).

Cons

Subject to direct debit guarantee - customers can use chargebacks to reverse the fee automatically if they don't like something. This is risky for any business because there's no time limit - a customer could have built up a huge balance, and then pull it all back at once.

Yusra K.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Reviewed on 2017/11/13

John J.

Go Cardless has given my business the tools to be able to exceed customer retention.

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

With passing a substantial amount of money through the Go Cardless system, I find the interest fee is barely noticeable in the overall scheme. I've saved countless man hours in using the system by no longer chasing customers for regular payments and leaving it to Go Cardless to manage that for me. My customers are a lot happier too as they know each payment is taken securely

If integrated with the correct Accounting Software, you can also use the same authorization from the customer to take one-off payments meaning that customers with an active authorization don't have to worry about carrying a card or cash, I just hit take payment.

Customer-managed payments have never been this easy at such a competitive rate!

Pros

The ability to take regular payments from a customer in different frequencies sets this company apart from the competition. Previously, I had to send invoices and chase customers for payments. All that is now a thing of the past. I can agree on a date and amount with my customers and let the direct debits sort the rest out. No massive fee's for setting up and once approved by the customer, they sort the rest. The interest on transactions is extremely competitive meaning that I can work out exactly what I will get before I have even begun to discuss dates for taking payments. Go Cardless also ties into my Accounting Software meaning that I can manage my Go Cardless transactions straight from the system meaning that each invoice payment is authorised, managed and cleared at the click of a button.

Cons

No virtual terminal makes it difficult to take immediate payments over the phone. I would also be better to reduce the time it takes to have the money reach the business account, but it's not necessarily a negative because when you begin to take regular revenue, you barely notice the waiting period.

The customer support on setting up was somewhat tricky. After back and forth communication, my very first payment was stuck in the system for a lot longer than expected. This was nearly two years ago so as far as I can hope, the signing up process is a lot more streamlined now.

Joseph L.

The best EFT Option via API

Reviewed on 2019/11/17

Overall, our experience with GoCardless has been fantastic.

Pros

Offers an amazing, simple API to hook into for electronic transactions via EFT/ACH. Really fast setup and seamless documentation.

Cons

I would have liked to use GoCardless as a one stop shop: i.e. having both Direct Debit and Credit Card functionality. Right now, with the lack of credit card access, we're forced to segment our payments APIs to different providers.

James D.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

An Incredible Payment Solution for UK Businesses

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Even with the geo-restrictions, GoCardless' low fees make it an ideal solution for startups.

Pros

GoCardless provides such a clean and simple way to create invoices and take payments. They provide a plethora of options, such a recurring billing, which days to take payment and multiple concurrent payment plans. GoCardless also boast very low fees in comparison to solutions such as PayPal.

Cons

Last I checked, GoCardless does not allow individuals from locations such as the United States to pay, limiting me to take payment from only UK residents.

Dr. troy P.

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Ouelid S.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Reviewed on 2017/08/15

GoCardless is a good payment system for direct debits.

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

My overall experience with GoCardless has been very good, once you setup your payments and know what you're doing, you can pretty much leave it and it will do most of the work for you.

Pros

-Easy to use
-Very cheap
-Rarely any technical issues
-Never experienced downtime
-Good customer support
-Links with Quickbooks

Cons

The only con i'd have for GoCardless is that a few of my customers mandates didn't go through properly although they were completed all fine. This meant they had to catch up on the payments they missed however this was a very minor problem.

Luke M.

Really nice

Reviewed on 2017/07/31

Cheap to receive recurring payments.

Pros

Nice simple interface, cost effective, good integrations, good overview of clients in general. Easy to get clients to sign up.

Cons

Not always easy to understand the status of payments or explain to customers how long it will take for a payment to process. Does take a while to process - I realise this is because of banks not GC.

Roi L.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Go Cardless

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

simple and beneficial to the business

Pros

easy to use, simple set up and integration to team up

Cons

nothing that I can think of as its cheap and user friendly

Alexander H.

Great payment processing with low fees

Reviewed on 2017/07/12

Cheaper payment processing.

Pros

Low fees, great interface design, a portal for the customer to signup, easy setup of recurring payments from a client.

Cons

slow activation time of direct debit mandate. Lack of proper integration with Xero accounting software.

Andrew D.

The easiest way to take direct debit payments from customer in UK/EU

Reviewed on 2020/10/14

Now we've got it setup it runs nicely on autopilot, customers like it and the fees are cheap - so overall, we're very happy.

Pros

It's fairly easy to get onboarded and integrate with invoicing software, meaning you can be billing customers within just a few days.

Cons

It's a little cumbersome to register with different countries direct debit scheme. Each requires a new onboarding flow and has to requested manually via customer service.

Ryan W.
  • Industry: Accounting

Support is really poor

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

It seems it is not ready for market or they are really short staffed.

Pros

I liked that my software made is easy to integrate.

Cons

The support is shocking. Waited weeks and only received canned, robotic replies.

Nicole I.

Good Product for accepting payments

Reviewed on 2016/11/11

My friend told me about it, I've been using it for a month, it works great all so easy, hassle-free, good for small sized businesses, beeing able to accept payments in installments it's so important and GoCardeless have made it stress free.

Pros

How easy it is to accept payments

Cons

None

Response from GoCardless

Thanks for your review Nicole, we really appreciate your feedback! Very glad to hear you are happy with our product.

• Industry: Online Media

THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU USE THIS COMPANY.

Reviewed on 2019/03/15

It recently came to our attention that GoCardless had implemented something on their customer sign-up forms for customers to state that their bank account required multiple signatories.

Hundreds of our customers had either mistakenly chosen this option or they had become aware of a loophole with the GoCardless payment system.

It transpired that selecting the 'multiple signatory option' meant GoCardless were supposed to request additional information from customers prior to being able to collect payments.

However, in our case, GoCardless incorrectly informed us that they were able to take payments even though the customers had not completed the additional process required by GoCardless.

Consequently GoCardless kept informing us that payments had been collected when this was not the case. Hundreds of our customers were able to enjoy using our service without paying us anything due to the GoCardless error.

The issue caused us a loss of over £22,0000. We brought the flaw to the attention of GoCardless who admitted the issue but have refused to compensate us or apologise for this serious error.

Pros

I have been using GoCardless for my business since 2012. When we first started using them they were a small start-up and we had remained loyal and supportive of them for over 7 years.

Cons

Sadly their service today is nothing like it was in the past. Over the years there have been some issues with their service but they had generally been helpful in getting things fixed.

However, they service today is absolutely shocking and I would urge anyone considering using the company to be extremely careful.