Duo Security

User identity verification & device vulnerability discovery

Daniel
Daniel

It's all about security

Reviewed on 2020/03/03

Overall, Duo gives me peace of mind knowing that I am the only one that can access my personal data base from log ins and websites. I like knowing that I can approve or reject any log ins from the commodity of my phone.

Pros

Duo is a great option to keep your personal information secured. I like that it requests security validation before logging into websites, and that you have the option to use the app to sign in to any device with a few taps. It is easy to use once everything has been set up correctly.

Cons

It can be hard to understand at first, and it might seem a little annoying to have to confirm you are the one logging into your websites every time, but it gets easier if you have the app. Another thing Duo could improve on is the fact that it only lets you "remember" one device at a time. Sometimes I need to log in from my work laptop or my personal laptop and it becomes tedious to remember which device I have registered.

Gordon
  • Industry: Banking

A well known muti-factor aunthentication Solution

Reviewed on 2023/07/27

Overall, Duo Security is one of those mandatory have solutions. In the world of today where security is a big concern, multi-factor authentication is essential.

Pros

We use Duo Security to login to almost all our cloud infrastructure platforms. It is simple and minimum set up is required for someone to get set up and start using. It provides a variety of authentication methods like one-time passwords, push notifications, SMS etc. My favourite authentication method is the approval methods by the mobile phone app. The way it works is that once you input your username and password, a prompt is then sent to your phone with two options, either approve or deny. It is only after selecting Approve that you are signed in. I like this method because it is the easiest to use of all the multi-factor authentication methods available for Duo Security. Another advantage of Duo Security is that it works with quite a number of platforms ranging from desktop services, cloud services and VPNs.Duo Security offers insightful analytics which helps you track the security of your platforms. Login attempts can be monitored, and potential security threats eliminated before they can cause any harm.

Cons

Duo Security is very much connectivity and mobile device dependent. This may not be accessible to everyone at any given time. Another limitation of Duo Security is that the mobile application is only accessible through certain phones with a certain a specific android version for Android Mobile Users. There is this one time when the application failed to install in one of my colleagues phone. They had to use their wife's phone for multi-factor authentication whenever they needed to login to a specific remote desktop.

David

Duo Security is a bit of a double-edged sword

Reviewed on 2023/11/20

Duo Security is necessary and useful when trying to protect your secure access to portals and data online. However, this company hasn't quite worked out the delays and programming bugs that still come with the app.

Pros

Duo Security does resolve many issues with sensitive information and secure access, as the approved user is given sole access by having this app on the user's phone.

Cons

There are numerous delays in alerts and sometimes it appears that programming bugs cause the app to malfunction, even when using the latest version of the app.

Juan
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Security goes first

Reviewed on 2023/12/15

Pros

It's a great app for cybersecurity and authentications, also works in different platforms

Cons

So far, I have no cons with using the app.

Shannon
Shannon

Great Security

Reviewed on 2023/04/14

Never had any problems with Duo. I broke my phone once and couldn't authenticate myself to get into any important accounts since it was all tied to my phone only. Duo allowed me to get into my accounts that day fairly easily by giving me temporary backup codes until my phone was fixed.

Pros

Duo is simple to use, user friendly, and does all that is needed for authentication. I work with multiple large organizations that have chosen to use it for their employees. It is easy to pair duo with new organizations as well.

Cons

So many authentication apps exist, that it is hard to distinguish between them. Duo works great, but so does basically every other authentication method in the app store.

Best tool for 2FA

Reviewed on 2023/11/02

Pros

Duo Security simplifies the implementation of two-factor authentication, enhancing security against unauthorized access. With a user-friendly interface and a variety of authentication methods, it offers flexibility and peace of mind for organizations seeking to bolster their security measures.

Cons

Occasional delays in the authentication process can be a minor inconvenience when using Duo Security.

• Industry: Design

Duo Security Review

Reviewed on 2023/06/09

Duo keeps me protected, and it's very easy to use and understand for new users.

Duo keeps me protected, and it's very easy to use and understand for new users.

Pros

Duo saves me so much time and keeps all of my sensitive information protected within my organization.

Cons

I don't like having to wait for it to send an authentication notification to my phone all the time, but that can be bypassed using the "trust this browser" feature.

Orwell
Orwell
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Mobile authenticator user review

Reviewed on 2023/06/24

For me I can describe my experience with the mobile authentication app as very convenient for the security of my work computer since I have my phone at all time and my phone also has a password so that adds another wall of security for my companies sensitive information.

Pros

Duo security mobile app is very convenient since i am working from home and have my phone on me all the time and it is very easy to use the mobile app you just need to open the app and it will show you the one time code for my computer login. And you can also refresh the code anytime if you get it wrong.

Cons

For my use it is very convenient and I have not yet got in to anyproblem using the mobile authenticator.

Mayowa
Mayowa
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

I love the different options provided for authentication

Reviewed on 2023/05/18

Pros

I love the different options provided for authentication such as duo push, phone code, and phone call. These options make it more accessible to use the software. In instances where I can't use my phone, I can simply use a code for authentication. I also like that some sites allow me to authenticate just once a week as opposed to every time. Furthermore, I like how it can connect to my other devices. I often use my Apple watch to accept the Duo code and it makes it just much easier to use.

Cons

Sometimes the code doesn't work and I have to write down a bunch of code to find one that works

Vignesh
Vignesh

Duo Security Review

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

Pros

Duo Security is very user-friendly, and it is used for authentication. It is easy to install and use. We have login either through password or push

Cons

Sometimes push will not work properly, and the password will not work if we take more time

Alex
  • Industry: Banking

Important to have.

Reviewed on 2023/07/22

Has been an excellent and smooth experience for me, it is easy to use and it gives me peace knowing that if someone wanted to use my credential i will be notify.

Pros

Mobile authentication is great, the pop up screen that just require accept once you are login in to the VPN is very efficient and easy to use.

Cons

When changing mobile device or phone number associated to the DUO it can be a nightmare doing the self service steps for people that are not computer savvy, within the organization has colleagues that do it very fast and some of them that hard to understand and follow the steps.

Matthew
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

It's needed, and it gets the job done

Reviewed on 2023/09/21

It's been fantastic when it works, which is 99% of the time, but man, that 1% is not super fun, but all programs have problems, I'd say this is most likely still one of the best choices.

Pros

What I most like about duo security (considering it's application that basically has one purpose with a few different avenues of getting there) is the simplicity. It also is a bit more modern feeling than your email and text authenticators, which is nice. I'd say that this program, if you're looking into authenticating software's, is most likely one of the best choices, next to microsoft's.

Cons

I've randomly (very rarely) had my duo logins just removed from the app, and it is a HASSLE to get everything back ESPECIALLY if you are incorporating this into a business. You're basically having to prove duo screwed up to try to get your authenticating account back onto the program, without having it on the program, it's not super fun, but at least it doesn't happen very often, other than that, great program.

Microsoft Authenticator
Carlos
Carlos

Amazing Two-Factor Authenticator

Reviewed on 2019/09/21

Great experience, user friendly and having this installed as an app on your Smartphone and not a physical key is amazing!

Pros

You get push notifications instantly, and you don't even need to get into the app, it can display a notification in your notifications bar (Android User) and you can approve/deny from there. Also, if by mistake you deny the login attempt, it gives you a "second chance" to get into the app itself and approve it.

Cons

Nothing to complain about this as of now, I was an RSA SecurID user and having to carry that small key was a nightmare. One thing I'd like is to get Duo Security for Windows, I work remotely and I could have that installed on my home's PC. What if I get my phone stolen and unable to buy a new one???

Zachary

A simple solution that works

Reviewed on 2023/05/20

Duo Security performs as it claims and works well. It's simple, and I don't have to think when using it, which is great.

Pros

I like the convenience factor most. Some two-factor authentication solutions take some time (entering a code, etc.), but I love how Duo has an Apple Watch widget that allows me to make a single click to authenticate. I also appreciate the simplicity of the UI. I also like the QR code pairing that some sites have to set up the Duo config. It's quick and easy.

Cons

I have no complaints, so it's difficult to write about what I like least. If I were forced to make a suggestion, it would be to make the mobile app more visually appealing.

Cory
  • Industry: Law Practice

Easy to Use and Effective

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

I am able to log in remotely and do my work from home, which has been very important with the pandemic.

Pros

It is very easy to go to the app and generate a code on my device that I can then type into my login screen for my work laptop. Within seconds, I'm able to securely log into my system and be connected remotely. It is much more user-friendly and hassle-free than the last software we used for it.

Cons

I don't have anything specifically bad to say about this software . It does what I need it to do and it hasn't caused any issues.

Alec
Alec
  • Industry: Semiconductors
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Duo is a standard and effective tool for secure access

Reviewed on 2021/04/29

Duo security is my main program for two factor authentication, and I will continue to use it for this! I like how simple and easy to use it is, and I am thankful that I can trust this program to help secure my accounts.

Pros

I like how simple and straightforward Duo is as a tool -- when I need to connect to a program requiring two factor authentication, I can simply attempt the login and Duo prompts me via my phone, which I can then authorize. I like how simple and straightforward this tool is, and I am grateful that it helps me secure access to my private accounts.

Cons

What I like least about Duo is how limited the features are of this tool. Sometimes I need to connect to an account using Duo but don't have internet on my phone, and I wish Duo provided alternatives for authentication via computer or phone, but this program lacks these features.

Karan Preet
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

One of the most amazing Security tools in the market

Reviewed on 2022/03/23

Pros

Easy to use. Allows smooth and detailed authentication of unknown users which protect the company from cyber frauds. Very secured tool by cisco and widely deployed in many organisations. Their application on mobile is also smooth and great. It protects user's data in the safest way

Cons

Third party integrations with tools and software in which we want to add MFA or authentication can be hard sometimes due to compatibility issues with this tool. Secondly, there are lots of tools in market which provide similar features and IT security protection in cheaper prices.

Microsoft Authenticator
  • Industry: Hospitality

Secure but Time-Sensitive

Reviewed on 2021/05/04

Pros

I use Duo on a daily basis to login to my company's VPN and again for internal company resources. Once it's setup it's pretty easy to use. I appreciate that it syncs with my phone so I can just click a button on my phone to ensure it is me.

Cons

I have to login to Duo twice a day and I usually do it at the same time. If I do them too closely together, one of them will say it timed out and I have to start the process all over. If I close all of my internet windows, I have to re-certify everything again so that can be annoying. Also, I purchased a new cell phone after several months of using Duo. It did not recognize my new phone and kept sending my codes to my old phone. It was a frustrating process to reconfigure everything to log on for work. On top of that, I don't love that I have to use my personal device to log on to my work device. It's another app that takes up space on my personal phone.

• Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

2FA For the Enterprise

Reviewed on 2018/09/05

We wanted a 2FA solution for our VPN and password management solutions. Duo integrates with both. We also needed a 2FA solution that can be used by a wide variety of users. We have many remote users so being able to authenticate via app, text, or phone call makes it easy for all of our users to gain access in a way that is secure and available to them.

Pros

Duo has made it easy for our company to use 2FA across several of our services. It's easy to implement and easy to manage. Duo integrates easily with 3rd party applications and services. Users can use multiple ways to authenticate to Duo.

Cons

Push notifications to Cellphones can be spotty if a user has poor cell reception. Not necessarily a failure on Duo's part but it should be considered if you are going to use the App Push for authentication.

Lightweight, High-Security MFA App

Reviewed on 2021/03/04

I've really enjoyed using Duo. It quickly became a seamless part of my daily workflow across my organizations single sign-on process in a variety of programs and applications.

Pros

Our organization implemented Duo for its organization-wide single sign-on multi-factor authentication program in the last year or two. The process of signing up for my account was simple, and since starting, I've almost stopped noticing that I use it. I have it set up to ping my watch to get approval when signing in, but users are able to get phone calls, text messages, or a mobile notification through their app. These options make it flexible enough for users that may not have a smart device, etc.

Cons

Unlike other MFA apps, this does not have an Authenticator feature or any other frills. Admittedly, this isn't a problem – Duo does what it does and does it well without any excess!

Jen
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

Duo helps us to maintain a secure login to our sites. We use it to access payroll information, reports, our shared drive, and other things you want extra security around.

Pros

I like the fact the fact that Duo is so easy to use. You can it up to verify in different ways - through an app, a call, or email. I sue the app which I love. A simple swipe and accept and you are in your site securely. For computers that are secure and you use regularly you can have it remember you for 30 days which is very convenient for sites you use multiple times a day.

Cons

I really don't have any complains about the software. It works great for my purposes. The only thing I have heard people complain about is just two step verification in general.

Jeff
Jeff
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great for keeping you secure

Reviewed on 2020/04/05

My institution uses it to keep our information secure and it does a great job of keeping it secure.

Pros

Duo is used by my institution to keep our information safe. We use the DUO factor login and it is easy to set up and to use. You download an app on your phone and it will call/text/ or send a push notification when you login to your website. It works seamlessly and never seems to have a problem.

Cons

It can be a bit of a pain when you leave your phone in your office or somewhere else and then go to login to a company site that needs the authentication with DUO. You can't login with out your phone and it can end up being a hassle. But, it does keep your information secure.

Tara

Duo Security is secure and reliable.

Reviewed on 2022/02/15

The overall experience with Duo Security has been positive and has given us the ability to trust that our data and computers are protected at all times.

Pros

Working within a university with highly sensitive data, it is very important that all of our documents and software is protected from outside entities. Duo Security allows for a 2-factor sign-in that protects your personal computer and access to software platforms. With 2 methods of confirming identity, it helps to filter out most fraud attempts and allows us to feel secure with the sensitive data that we manage daily.

Cons

I have not experienced any negative features with this software.

Ritesh

Best For MFA

Reviewed on 2023/08/17

Duo was an easy transition into the MFA world for external access to our internal systems.

Pros

It can integrate seamlessly with all platforms and apps of our organization. Easy to install, use, track, and recover from lost or damaged phones. It has push notifications and also alternate access via text or call.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a couple of times to sign in to a network.Sometimes due to poor data access on the end user part, a push notification doesn't come up although data is available, Which leads to a timeout. A little bit difficult in the initial configuration.

Samer
  • Industry: Legal Services

Security on all levels for your business with DUO Security

Reviewed on 2022/03/30

Overall this software is ideal for any business that wants to limit users on platforms and software. I highly recommend it.

Pros

The DUO app and software is quick and easy to use and does what they advertise - they only let in approved users to the platform or software. My work is completely safe and allows my clients to know that their information is handled with caution and is not given to third parties.

Cons

I would love the best of their software to be free but at less than five dollars a month per user you can't ask for more really. There is a free version out there for the cost conscious.