Granular

Farm management software to increase crop productivity

4,7
4,2
4,4
4,3
4,9
Dylan B.
Industry: Farming

Best farming software hands down

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

Pros

Flexibility based on your operations needs. There are numerous features that can be used to improve your operation. They have hands down the best support of any product in the industry. They get to know your operation and its nuances on a personal level and they want you to succeed.

Cons

Setting your account up and getting the full benefit is tedious and can be a lot of work at first. You do reap what you sow though.

Ryan R.
Industry: Farming

Great Product, but with some limitations

Reviewed on 2020/11/06

Our overall experience has been a good one, but wish I could say I'm 100% satisfied and I can't say that yet. I'm hoping I will get there someday.

Pros

It's fairly easy to use. It has helped our farming operation to finally nail down some expectation of where we'll end up at the end of the year. With our accounting software I would eventually get there but after the fact. The up to date information as the season is progressing gives us valuable management tier information . It has allowed us to pivot on plans quickly and have confidence in those decisions.

Cons

It has to be modified and implement multiple workarounds to make it work. I also don't like the significant amount of time needing to be spent in the software in order to keep information accurate and up to date. The grain inventory function for us is worthless and actually very difficult to keep straight. As far as providing new features, they seemed to implement quite a few when we starting using it, but I haven't seen anything for a while. Some of the updates are not necessarily improvements.

Arthur W.

V3

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/11/30

Fun but still learning

Pros

The ability to break fields down and see which is most profitable

Cons

A little to complicated. farmers like simple

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Derrick B.

Microscope for Farm Operation

Reviewed on 2020/11/11

Overall I have had a positive experience. My customer success advisor has made sure my needs are met and if I am too busy in the field they will even add in or switch data for my operation while I am on the phone. This program has also allowed me to dive deeper into analyzing field by field profitability, track various field practices and how they relate to yield as well as the ability to be a data cache for all farm related financials and yield for things like crop insurance.

Pros

Granular has the best product support I have ever dealt with. From my customer success advisor to in app help, it is top notch. Granular also integrates well with various manufacturers equipment in terms of data transfer, allowing ease of use no matter what level of comfort with technology. Finally, this program is a total systems approach to my farm management. From documenting land rents, recording in season work to tracking grain contracts and grain inventory; it is all accessible by myself and other admin to keep us up to date while not wasting time.

Cons

Integration of this product was not difficult but time consuming. One area I would like to see improved is to have the ability to load machine data from either cloud or thumb drive and program will automatically load lbs. of crop into inventory. I feel inventory and contract portion of program is almost too in depth. Finally price; I do feel this product is high priced compared to competitors and certainly for growers that are small to medium or do not perform all tasks themselves, i.e. spraying and trucking. this eliminates some of the value proposition of the program.

Bryson M.
Industry: Farming

Granular helps us visualize our bottom line

Reviewed on 2020/11/19

2020 was our fourth crop year with granular and we are finally comfortable using it and know that we are getting good data. To an extent, it has been a struggle to succeed with this product but in many ways, it is our own fault. We have not dedicated the time or people to it until recently. I think a farm that would be dedicated to it could have correctly implemented the software in half the time that we did. Now that we are getting good numbers out of it I'm pleased with the product and the support the entire way through has been great. Probably better than any other product or software that we use on our farm.

Pros

I like that it breaks the cost and quantity down of each item over the year and that you can filter the data in so many different ways.

Cons

It is hard to adapt the software at times for cotton growers or irrigated producers. It also takes a lot of time to sift through the data and make sure that it is correct.

Jim O.

Granular Review

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Our experience has been nothing but exceptional would not consider farming without it. The company is always striving to make it a better product.

Pros

The program user friendly once you get the basics setup. You can use parts at beginning and then move into it deeper as you want. The help is second to none very helpful both on phone and chat. The attention the company pays to suggestions by customers is above and beyond.

Cons

Some of the reports are hard to develop at first. Would like them to get Granular Insights and Agronomy to seemlessly enter Granular Business.

Christopher R.

Excellent Farm Management Software

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

We've been using Granular for three years, and our experience with the software has gotten better each year. Very happy with the continued growth and updates made to the software, and excellent support and customer service. Using Granular has greatly simplified the record keeping and budgeting aspects of our farming operation.

Pros

Overall functionality and ease of use. Ability to track nearly every aspect of our farming operation. Very happy with the ability to integrate with our machinery and save time in manually entering data.

Cons

High cost, and could use some work in the inventory management area.

Craig L.
Industry: Farming

Better understanding of my farms financial standing

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

My experience has been fantastic! You are never left alone to figure things out. The people I have worked with have helped me ever step of the way, and when I have things pop-up, many different people have helped me. My first stop is a Customer Success Manager, and if she doesn't have the answer Granular has many experts to help you. You are not calling a help desk, but you are calling friends that want you to succeed and be happy with your experience. That's just the people, what I now know about my farm is invaluable.

Pros

Being an accountant and an auditor for a few years, I saw the financial records of many companies that were of all different sizes and industries. All of them knew where they were making the most profit as well as the cost of all the inputs it took to produce that profit. Now that I have been back farming for 29 years this is the the only accounting/software that tracks everything in my operation. I know my input cost and my profit at the field level, and not just for the current year, but what those numbers look like over many years. Just using the software makes me more organized. Which leads me to being more confident that the decisions I make or based on good financial data, and not just "winging" it. I know that we all want more "yield" per acre, but with this software you will begin to want more "profit" per acre. Isn't that what we all want anyway?

Cons

Honestly, the setup and the maintenance of keeping good accurate records. Isn't that the case with any financial software? If you put good data in then you will get good data back, and the opposite is true too. It takes time and effort, but when you look at your farm as a business, the data will become something you can't live without. The effort will make you more organized and confident.

David B.

Granular Farm Management Software

Reviewed on 2020/11/16

I use the product everyday. I like the customer service and the constant upgrades to the program to better suit our farming operation. I would rate them good to excellent.

Pros

I like the fact that all of our farms production data tied to finances is in one platform. The Task Manager feature is a great tool to have for those that are managing people and operations. The mobile app has become a tool that managers are using to communicate instructions with operators. Training truck drivers and operators how to use the mobile app is easy and straight forward. Many of our operators will not even start field activity until they have received a work order. It is really powerful tool to put all of your inputs, plans, tasks, and finances in to a program to get real time data. I also am liking the continued integrations with myjohndeere and Granular Agronomy. In the future, having production maps linked to real farm financials will be a powerful decision making tool. Above all else, the customer support that we receive from Granular is second to none. The trainers and Customer Success Managers that we have worked with have been outstanding. They seem to understand how to make both the farm managers and operators comfortable with using their product.

Cons

The on boarding process is brutal. It took 2 guys all winter to get all of the data set up. It took a while before we were confident in the numbers that we were getting from granular. Lastly, I wish that scenario planning was a little easier . Exploring different inputs, crops, ect on fields as a rough draft planning process can be difficult.

Jay F.

Extensive Platform For Farm Operational and Managerial Profitability

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/09/08

Great support. The product has been constantly improved. The leadership team knows what they are doing and have a solid financial partner in Corteva to help them be a leader in farm management software for the most progressive player in agriculture in most any geography.

Pros

The harvest operation features. General field operational features. Map and location capability. Financial forecasting.

Cons

Being one that was most familiar with windows based software on pc or LAN’s, acclimating to cloud ERP presented some challenges for me.

Response from Granular

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review, Jay. We're glad to continually improve our digital tools for farmers, and we're proud to be part of your team.

Steven B.

I recommend Granular...

Reviewed on 2020/06/20

My overall experience with Granular has been very positive. In particular, I have found the customer support to be very helpful. The people are always very nice, cheerful, and responsive to issues that arise.

Pros

I have used Granular at our farming operation for the last 4 years. In our operation, we grow potatoes on relatively small, but numerous, fields. Each field receives slightly different applications of different products based on variety of seed planted, timing of planting, nature of the soil, stage of delopment, weather events, etc... As a result, it can be difficult to recall exactly what was done in individual fields and therefore difficult to identify causes of differences in yield and quality in different fields, as well as to identify associated trends. With Granular we are able to maintain precise records of exactly what was done in each field and therefore reach better conclusions about what was effective and what was not. Moreover, we are able to make comparisons not just between fields in the current crop year, but can compare current fields with those in prior years. In this way, we are able to fine tune our growing practices and more surgically apply appropriate products to maximize yield and quality.

Cons

The only "con" I might mention arises in part out of a "pro." That is, Granular's ability to allow us to identify and analyze data by precise "filtering" of variables means that, sometimes, a hidden filter may be left "on" that results in incorrect data generation. So, some effort is required at times to make sure that only the desired filters are "on" in analyzing data.

Response from Granular

Thanks for sharing your review! We're glad to know it has helped you maintain precise records for each field and identify trends. We're proud to be part of your team!

Dillon L.

Students Understanding of Money Management on the Farm

Reviewed on 2020/01/17

Pros

First I would say the ease of access and the ability to access the software wherever you are. In the field, at the desk, or from the classroom at school, I can access Granular from anywhere. Data input is user friendly. As an manager on the account I am asked to input purchase prices, application rates, scale tickets, etc. All of this is easily done in the software. I would point towards the reports as the most valuable aspect of Granular. Granular allows us the ability to look back on our year through multiple reports, and compile that data so that when making decisions we are using all of the data. Many times on the farm we forget or don't recognize how alarming a particular number is, Granular makes sure that you see all those numbers compared to other years, crops, fields and more.Granular also has an amazing support network through their customer representatives. They are available all the time and ready to assist you with any problems you may be having. They are always listening for recommendations on how to improve the software as well. This software has truly saved us time and money and I would offer my recommendation of Granular to any interested party that wants to use their data to find new ways to maximize profits.

Cons

I would only offer one criticism of the software to this point. I would love to see a more developed mobile app. The app has been designed to serve as an access point to assign work orders to employees so employees can input scale tickets or attach themselves to the assigned job. I would like to see a mobile app that allows managers and admins to pull up the basic breakevens and price references that are on the web platform. This would allow for quick access and reduce the need for a computer in a more casual setting.

Response from Granular

Thanks so much for your review! We're glad to hear the software helps you think like a CEO and maximize your profits. Thank you for your feedback about the mobile app. We're always looking for areas to improve. We're proud to be part of your team!

Sherrie M.

Granular to the rescue!!

Reviewed on 2020/03/04

The ability to have a cost of production per crop at the push of a button and not spend days researching is indescribable. Granular has opened up a new world to me that I thought I had conquered. I look forward to discovering more ways to compile, use and analyze my farm information.

Pros

The support team is the greatest I have ever had the pleasure to call. They are prompt, thorough, knowledgeable, helpful and the kindest team of people. Now on to the software, I have struggled for years to gather information on applied chemicals and inputs to send to my landlords. This past year, which the team at Granular completely entered for me, was the easiest and most organized information I have had to work with. I was able to send field information to my landlords and they were so impressed. Granular made me look GOOD!! Thank you granular for continuing to moving forward in the industry and listening to your users and their needs. As I have said, if you aren't moving forward, then you are falling behind.

Cons

Granular is definitely east to use and there is not one thing that I do not like. If I had to pick an improvement, it would be to see the harvest portion improved to better fit share crop farmers.

Tony V.
Industry: Farming

Great product with excellent support.

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Pros

It is a powerful software with good flexibility. Printing out field reports is easy and complete, planning future rotations and crop plans is nifty, profit and loss projected and actual down to field level, inventory in and out.... Lots of information in one program without trying to extract connected information from ten different spreadsheets. As with any software you will need help from time to time and Granular offers an exceptional support team.

Cons

Like any data software what you put in is what you get out. If you are looking for good data to be entered without any commitment and work this is not the software (there is no such software). If you have good employees who are dedicated to entering the data on the work orders correctly it really is nice, if not, as an administrator you can follow up as to what was entered or not and can quickly enter the planned amount if the actual is not available or will be later which can easily be updated. This requires daily effort if you want current accurate information later. To this point cotton is not supported on the marketing side, which is negative for our operation. Price is on the high side.

Erick R.

Richards farms inc./ Erick Richards

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Logistics has been a huge advantage of Granular and having all employees being able to access the information from their phones on a live program.

Pros

The assignment and tracking of tasks. easy to assign to different employees and easy for the employees to have all of the information and directions to complete tasks.

Monitoring of progress by list and visually is very nice.

customized reports that allowed to set different parameters easily that gives very valuableinformation.

Cons

Getting all the data in initially is very time consuming, but the more accurate it is and in depth the better information you are able to obtain from it.

Getting exactly the information you want takes a lot of trial and error to know exactly how to get there.

Aidan O.

Aidan’s Granular Review

Reviewed on 2020/03/05

Granular has the best support system of anything that I’ve used. Response times are under 2 minutes and are extremely detailed. I could say that with their help, and the frequency at which I need that help, I feel confident that I can say I am a Granular super-user.

Pros

Granular is a great way to track any and all harvest information across one or many fields. There are simple ways to set up many fields within one field with different crops or varieties. It is also easy to create and manage tasks related to fields or farms as well as crop plans. Granular eliminates the need for bulky spreadsheets to track harvest information, field assignments of crops, and current working fields. It is also more visually appealing than most databases.

Cons

The only complaint that I have with granular is that depending on what you are looking for, the reports are not as easily tailored to specific needs. The support team is good about helping extract that information, but reports could be better. The only other thing is that I wish that certain aspects of the database could have an option to sort/alphabetize the fields or operational boundaries. Not a big problem, easy to work around, but a luxury fix that would make sorting easier.

Brandon D.

Granular Works For Us

Reviewed on 2020/01/24

Overall very satisfied. Customer support is AWESOME. User Interface is clean, site is easy to navigate around.

Pros

The ease of surfacing deep data is second to none. The ability to make all sorts of comparisons using the Analyzer tools is great

Cons

The Financial Account side of the program is lacking functionality. It could be built out more, or more customization. Had to "hack" certain accounts to get data into Granular

Kody C.

Mobile App

Reviewed on 2020/11/14

Granular has saved us time and energy when it comes to recording work that has been done or scheduling work that is yet to happen. It has reduced the amount of confusion that can occur when sending employees to the field.

Pros

I have really enjoyed using the Granular mobile app. It is simple enough to use that we have been able to train the retired folks, we have help us during harvest, to use it. We enter our harvested totals and it makes it easy to double check that we are not missing elevator tickets based on what we harvested. It also nice to use during the task manager portion to send out work orders to employees. I can search fields and tasks and push work orders to different employees from my phone when I am out in the field. It results in less confusion and wasted time.

Cons

When searching for tasks to send out as work orders, the app can be slow in pulling them up.

Brant D.
Industry: Farming

Granular is a game changer in their industry and will help you reach field level profitability.

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

I’m very happy and excited about the product. I’m just as excited about the direction and capability of this product in the near future. The Granular team continues to ask for feedback and ideas of how to improve, and I appreciate the fact that I’ve seen the Granular team consider and implement some of those ideas.

Pros

For years I looked for a farm management software that could help me reach my goal of knowing field level profitability on my farm. Granular has been a game changer and allows me to make smart financial decisions based off of good information. Granular’s ability to generate reports and modify reports is very impressive and provides valuable decision making information. Each new growing season adds new layers of good decision making information.

I’m also very impressed by their customer service whenever a question arises. They are very knowledgeable about the Ag industry and their product, but also timely and helpful in resolving any problem or question.

Granular is a great product with great people and a great team behind the product.

Cons

Setup is always a daunting task, but the customer service and support made it as seamless as possible.

Emmaline L.

Most Comprehensive Farm Management Software Yet

Reviewed on 2020/12/01

Granular has been a great way to consolidate all the Excel sheets of information our farm had previously been using. I like that all the information I look for on a daily basis is in one place. The customer service is among the best of any company I've worked with.

Pros

It has all the information I look for on a daily basis about my crop production in one place. It can be accessed from anywhere- not just in the office- which is a benefit when I'm in the field during the growing season. Multiple people can have access and field workers find it helpful for following tasks.

Cons

It can be very overwhelming to know how to get the information and figures you want to see to help make decisions. Not everyone on the farm has "bought into" it yet, so data still needs to be hand entered, which can be cumbersome.

Eric M.

Effective ERP System

Reviewed on 2020/09/08

Our experience has been great. Granular is very agile and open to hearing ideas on how to improve the product.

Pros

We initially purchased the product to eliminate paper crop plans. The primary purpose of the program for our business is an ERP for our crop production team. It helps assign tasks, or work orders, to our team members and get them going in the right direction. In addition, it allows us to easily capture field data - from inputs applied to time spent on a task by field.

Cons

We are currently struggling with users being able to data enter receipts and returns of inputs for inventory management (there is no functionality for this). Currently, all input inventory tracking has to be done in the office using invoices and paper tracking system by team members.

Response from Granular

Thanks for sharing your experience with our digital tools, Eric. We're glad to know Granular has helped you capture field data, eliminate paper crop plans, and manage your team efficiently with digital work orders. As you know, we're continually working to improve our products based on customer feedback. We shared your note about input inventory tracking with our team. Thank you!

Santosh S.
Industry: Farming

Manage your overall farm records with Granular.

Reviewed on 2020/08/30

Prior to the installation of this software, I used to plan all tasks and expenses of the farm required for a whole season manually. It was much time consuming and a complete hassle for me. But now I am pleased to have Granular running my farm business efficiently. It has helped me and my co-workers to sort our entire hurdles.

Pros

With its advanced features like profit analyzer, weather forecasting, and monitoring of crop production, it helps us to overcome risk and uncertainties. The application is great to discover bottlenecks of farm and take required actions to make the farm profitable. Additionally, I could keep a close watch on-farm inventories, labors, expenses, sales and other resources. I really appreciate the accurate and insightful statistics that it offers.

Cons

No unlikely features. But it takes a little extra effort and time to learn and implement it. I want futher more documentations related to application and its features.

Paul K.
Company size: Self Employed

I like the Customer Success Managers.

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

I have been able to capture grain deliveries, grain yields per field, grain deliveries to specific elevators, create reports on input applications and create grain yield reports for crop insurance.

Pros

The Customer Success Managers stay connected to you and your farming operation that you get the most out of your Granular subscription. They meet with you - virtually - and ask the question to see what you need to make the Granular product useful for your operation.

Cons

it takes some time to catch on the the details of the software - like any software system - but once it clicks with you - it is very useful.

Kirk L.

Decision making software

Reviewed on 2020/09/08

I have been able to make decisions on machine purchases because I know where my profitability stands. I’ve also been able to make quicker decisions on selling Grain by being able to review contracts and percentage sold. It’s also a tool that I’ve used to review input usage and billing with the retailers we use

Pros

The ability to view on a daily basis were profitability stands

Cons

So far I have not found many negatives. If anything, the software is very robust and just takes time to learn

Response from Granular

Thank you for sharing your experience with Granular, Kirk! We're proud to be part of your team.

Karrie G.

User experience

Reviewed on 2020/01/22

It has been difficult t get all employees on board to support the software to the level that we would like. Our customer success manager has provided us with additional ideas and a timeline to help us reach an annual goal that we have set for the year.

Pros

It provides a central location for our daily operation. It provides our companies management team with tools that help guide them in making daily to annual decisions. It provides integration from other software that is used by our company.

Cons

It can be difficult to maneuver through for users/operators if they are not using it on a regular basis. We have problems with operators saying that they have a hard time using the application, may need additional training.
Would like to have an area to enter actual costs for crop insurance, insurance, govt. payments, etc for the year.
Would like to see an area that provides the ability to enter crop insurance units.