Trainerize

Personal training software for fit pros and gyms

Frank L.

So Much Potential, Misses the Mark

Reviewed on 2017/03/14

I've tried 6 or 7 of the most popular personal training apps and decided to go with Trainerize. It's best at creating workouts quickly and easily, and has excellent client monitoring features.

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of bugs. There is nothing worse than logging a whole workout during a session with a client, and then the app won't save it - losing everything. It has essentially forced me back to pen and paper.
The integrations with fitbit and myfitnesspal sound impressive, but they don't import activity data. Makes no sense. If you can sync some of the data, why not sync the MOST IMPORTANT data? I have people tracking their activity with fitbit or with other apps - but now they have to enter it one more time into Trainerize.

Customer service is frustratingly slow, it takes three days to get a response - even when you purchase an annual plan that promises "priority support" and a "dedicated customer service manager." The response will always be, "our team will consider it." Then nothing.

If you want an app improvement, there has to be enough votes collected by the Trainerize community (which most users probably never take the time to visit) to work on it, even if the development team is fully aware of it and knows it makes sense.

They remove features without warning. Before, when you created exercises for the app, you could link to a youtube video OR use photos. In many cases, it made more sense to use a photo (stretches/simple exercises). After taking weeks to create, edit and upload all these photos for my exercise database, they removed the feature and lowered the quality of my photos so much that all the user could see was a pixelated mess. Their response was essentially "Too bad, so sad."

Without these (and some other) problems, this app would be unbelievable! But with it's continued crashes, it loses it's usefulness and can be more problems than it's worth. Might be fine if you're only using it for online training.

Recommendation: It's still probably the best app, but I will revisit the others. DEFINITELY, don't sign up for a year - go monthly for a while and see how it works for you.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to create workouts (and great flexibility to adjust workouts on the fly), many automated features, excellent client monitoring (including a new push notifications system).

Cons

Crashes, losing data, won't sync what counts, requires client to have internet connection, poor communication from customer service that responds to, but does not solve, problems.

Response from Trainerize

Hey Frank!

Thank you for taking the time to review us and provide feedback! We are sorry we weren't able to get back to you sooner, we recently realized we were able to reply to reviews on Capterra and are now trying to get back to everyone.

We are so happy you find creating workouts in Trainerize easy! In regards to the crashes, we are in the process of releasing a brand new version of the app (we invested over a year in rebuilding it from the ground up) that is going to improve the performance and overall stability of the app! If you would like beta access to try it out please email us at [email protected] and we would be happy to give you access!

In regards to MyFitnessPal, we can only sync the data they send us. We are working on improving our integration with them to hopefully include more data soon.

Thank you for your patience while we work to grow and improve Trainerize.

- Team Trainerize

Yesenia G.

Great for workout programs. Needs improvement for nutrition.

Reviewed on 2019/02/09

Customer service is very responsive but when I ask questions about the items I listed above for improvement they always promise the changes are coming soon however I have yet to see any of the changes they promised months ago.

Pros

This software is great to write workout programs. There are great demo videos for clients and the option to import videos from YouTube is very useful. The charts showing my clients' progress are great snapshots that help me keep my clients' progressing towards their goals.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the lack of weekly averages for weigh-ins and weekly averages for calories and macros. Right now I am hand-calculating both of those and it's a lot of extra work.

The second thing would be to make the timer automatically start counting down upon the completion of an exercise. This is a feature that my clients love from other apps and miss in this app.

The ability to make edits to clients' programming via the mobile app is almost nil. I always have to get on a computer to change anything which can be a hassle when I'm on the go.

Response from Trainerize

Hey Yesenia!

Thank you for your review and feedback! We are so happy Trainerize helps you keep track of your clients progress towards their goals!

We are always listening and taking trainers feedback and suggestions into account, however we do have a roadmap in which these are prioritize and that sometimes it is hard to get exact timelines for product changes that are months ahead. With this being said, we encourage you to vote on suggestions at ideas.trainerize.com, our product team is prioritizing based on all suggestions.

PS: The timer countdown is in the works. We'll share more information in the next few months. Thanks for your feedback and confidence.

- Team Trainerize

Tiffany J.

Great for a start up Trainer

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

It was great at the beginning until we grew, then the value of the software for our number of clients wasn't competitive enough with other solutions.

Pros

Trainerize was great for us in the beginning with less volume of clients. It gave us the ability to upload our meal plans and build workouts. I love that it has workout videos and exercises loaded into the app for when you need some inspiration for new client workouts.

Cons

It was a bit outdated compared to other training apps I have seen. Only allowed for one meal plan upload at a time and was always in a document format. Would love to see this software integrate with a meal plan building software.

Response from Trainerize

Hi Tiffany, thank you for taking the time to review our software! We're happy to hear you found inspiration from our exercise library, we have since added many more exercises!

As for nutrition and meal planning, we do have plans to release more options for you in the future. Currently, we integrate with Evolution Nutrition if you're looking to get your meal plans built out. We also calculate client BMR and TDEE for you to help you create a client's daily caloric intake when assigning a nutrition goal.

Please feel free to reach out anytime if there is anything we can help you with! We'd be happy to help you scale your business by helping you incorporate our Master Programs feature to automate the delivery of workouts to your clients. - Team Trainerize

Every Online Trainer Needs This

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

I have had an amazing experience. Great customer service. Good incentive to refer other trainers. Lots of updates. And never a reason to leave or look for something else.

Pros

I love that Trainerize is always looking for our feedback as trainers and making improvements. I have only ever used Trainerize because there has never been a need to go anywhere else. They fill the holes when they see them. It allows me to give an amazing experience to my clients too. I receive referrals just because of the app alone! I feel like I can over deliver with it

Cons

I don't like that there are some auto messages even when I don't want them. There is difficulty with scheduling sometimes for international clients. I also think some of the videos need better form from the Trainerize library. I also think that there are too many glitches between phone and computer. Sometimes my phone will say 30 progress photos even if there is only 3.

Response from Trainerize

Hey! Thank you so much! We are so happy you love using Trainerize.

We really do value the feedback of our trainers and I will definitely pass along your suggestions to our development team for review.

I think the auto message concern is something we can fix for you right away! Do you mind emailing [email protected]? One of our coaches can show you how to turn those off.

- Team Trainerize

Darrell M.

A solid platform for virtual coaching and OPT

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Overall Trainerize has been a positive experience - it has allowed me to create, build, and grow my virtual coaching business and greatly increase my earning potential.

Pros

I appreciate that they continue to add features and innovate. I also like the ability to create workout and program templates and copy it over to individual clients, with the ability to modify the workouts from there. The ability to add my own custom exercises is also pretty crucial.

Cons

I wish the payment system was easier to navigate, and I wish there was a way to add a one-time billed product while a client has an existing package running - currently I need to cancel the existing package, do the one-time billing item, then re-subscribe them to a recurring billing package. This is wildly inefficient and disruptive, but not an often-enough-needed feature that it causes major problems for me. I also wish I could modify program templates once assigned to a client.

Response from Trainerize

Hey Darrell!

Thanks for the review! We are so happy Trainerize has allowed you to increase your earning potential as a online personal trainer!

We definitely understand where you are coming from regarding Trainerize Pay. Our payments team is currently working on the best way to allow clients to purchase multiple products at at once. We will let you know as soon as we have a solution!

- Team Trainerize

Dave R.

Trainerize Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

It's pretty good. I've tried a few other online training apps and stuck with Trainerize. The others were missing features or didn't work well from a phone

Pros

It's easy to structure programs the way I want

Cons

Outdated, confusing, interface, slow, needs an update

Response from Trainerize

Hi Dave!

Thank you for taking the time to review us and provide feedback!

Good news, our marketing team is currently working on some great "how-to" and educational videos that will be coming out soon!

I can definitely pass on your feedback to them so they can touch on those topics!

Our live channels are back on and this means that you can give us a call or ask your questions on our live chat whenever it is convenient for you!

We are available at 9:00-5:00 PST. :) -Team Trainerize

Paul D.

2 years on

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

The software works well with my 1-2-1 clients week in week out. It adds accessibility to more/all budgets by permitting me to distribute satellite coaching services at my local gym. Moving forward I plan to start some more online coaching as well to enhance my business

Pros

After 2 years, building workouts has become second nature. The flow of the phone app and the website work well together when programming individual clients as well as groups.

Cons

The only flaw in the app is a lack of a booking platform for clients to both book into boot camps/classes and being able to see my availability in app (I combat this to an extent with google calendar integrated into my trainerize website)

Response from Trainerize

Hey Paul! Thank you for taking the time to review us and provide feedback! We're so happy to hear about building workouts becoming second nature. As for appointments/scheduling, we're currently working on that and plan to release more around these features soon. We hope your transition into online training is going well, please don't hesitate to reach out if we can help in any way :)

Rob Y.

Best Overall General Fitness Platform I have found

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Overall extremely satisfied. We are very reliant on the Trainerize platform for our future coaching services.

Pros

It addresses most of the fitness programming and online coaching needs while allowing integration with other best in class platforms for an overall comprehensive system. (Still further to go, but the development team seems open to addressing these needs)

Cons

Well, it isn't perfect, and it isn't all things (but nothing is, so to be nit picky)
The big items are:
- the integrated pay system only allows one package or product, no add-on upsells to a pre-existing service
- there is not an integrated scheduling system (yet)
- we cannot assign Master program and a Custom program to a client

Response from Trainerize

Hey Rob!

Thank you for your review and feedback!

We are thrilled you think Trainerize is the best overall general fitness platform (we do too)!

Having two products at the same time is something we are looking into adding to Trainerize Pay. We will let you know as soon as we do!

- Team Trainerize

Harry A.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Best program for personal trainers

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

I've been using Trainerize since 2014 and I haven't been let down

Pros

Ease of use: very easy to manage clients, programs, copy workouts.

Huge selection of workout videos if you don't want to spend time creating your own.

YouTube integration is brilliant.

Cons

It would be nice to be able to export client's stats both for exercises and body stats.

Social media integration would also help advertising ie client x. Checked in for legs published on Facebook or ig

Response from Trainerize

Hey Harry,

Thanks for submitting your feedback!
We're so glad that you like the ease of creating programs and workouts with the App!

We love your suggestions! Can you submit them on our ideas page?

(www. ideas.trainerize.com)

Our development team reviews the Ideas Page when they're considering which changes to make in Trainerize's future.

Thanks for being with us all these years. And stay tuned for more exciting updates! -

Team Trainerize :)

Shorombo M.

THE software for Online Personal Training

Reviewed on 2019/05/27

Pros

I love Trainerize. I am the guy that is a power user of most software I use and I am very very critical. I have gone to quite a few before ending up at Trainerize. What I love is that their focus is truly on offering Online Personal Training. It feels very complete.

Cons

The previous version of the app tended to be very heavy on memory which caused them to be slow at times. But now they have largely fixed this. Even though I have stayed with them all these years, can you imagine? Even if you just want it to create training plans it is great!

Response from Trainerize

Hi Shorombo!

Thank you for taking the time to review us and provide feedback!

It's great to see you've been with us all this time and recognize that we always have and will continue to strive to make Trainerize better for our customers.

Stay tuned for more exciting releases and updates :) - Team Trainerize

Michael F.

Absolutely essential for my business

Reviewed on 2017/10/24

I built a new revenue stream for my business and made it so I can help more people

Pros

How trainerize is always improving and open to suggestions. I like how there is constant contact and always someone there to help and support.

Cons

I would like to see it where when I write programs I can modify each program template easier and save with a new name. For example: Chest and Back Hypertrophy workout 1, altered and saved as Chest and Back Hypertrophy 2. I would also love to see it where I can set up emails to be sent out every "x" number of days apart to clients so I can systemize the communications with my clients slightly better.

Ryan L.

No Better Software For Online Training

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Pros

I love Trainerize because it's not only easy for me to program my clients' workouts and track their progress...but, it's also easy for the CLIENT to use as well.

Cons

Lack of well-integrated nutrition software and food tracker.

Response from Trainerize

Hey Ryan!

Wow! - Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know that you and your clients are enjoying Trainerize!

In regards, to nutrition tracking & tools: please let us know what features you would like to see on Trainerize!?

Feel free to e-mail us at [email protected]nerize.com.We would love to hear it from you!

Stay tuned for even more exciting updates and new features :)

- Team Trainerize

Rhonda J.

How Trainerize helps me travel the world while still training clients with excellence

Reviewed on 2018/07/28

This gives me a professional way to deliver programs and meal plans, messages everything all in one place.
My experience has been great for me.

Pros

I love that I can get notified every time a client checks in on the app for their workout. I Also love how they can message me during the workouts and I can answer questions while they are working out. It's like I am there with them. I also really like all of the charts and graphs to check progress.

Cons

I would like to write group programs but still be able to customize for someone in the group inside of that workout plan.

Ashley A.

Second income!

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Less time, more attention to detail, able to touch more lives, LOVE this program!!

Pros

I work about 50 hours a week at my in-person job and the trainerize program allows me to connect with more clients and bring in a second income without adding tons of hours to my week! I have been using Trainerize for three years now and will continue to use it with my clients as the company keeps improving the service!

Cons

Not being able to open up client plans to use as a template for another client when I have archived the previous client.

Sara D.

Trainerize

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

I love that Trainerize gives us the ability to offer so much more than just a Personal Trainer. Our Team and Members love to utilize Trainerize. The diet plans and home workouts are awesome.

Pros

Cons

We do not have anything negative that we could say regarding the Trainerize software. It works wonderful with out Team and our business goals.

Response from Trainerize

Hey Sarah!

Wow! Thanks for the amazing feedback and 5-star review!

We're thrilled that you and team members loved to use Trainerize.

We're excited about the next updates.

So, stay tuned for more amazing features!

-Team Trainerize :)

Best tool for my business!

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Trainerize customer service has been amazing. They are pretty quick to resolve any issues or glitches. They are constantly moving forward and adding beneficial features that have tremendously helped my business.

Pros

You can create programs and payment plans right inside the app. It’s easy to use. There are so many features that benefit a personal trainer. I love this for keeping my clients on track with their goals.

Cons

It does not connect with all fitness trackers but other than that I feel it’s an amazing tool.

Easy way to keep clients all over the world engaged with training

Reviewed on 2018/04/29

I am able to manage many clients at once from all over the world!

Pros

Allows me to organize all clients in one place, talk to them regularly with automatic reminders and real-time check-in "pings" from the app, and easy to use app

Cons

Differences between trainer and client views make communication difficult - often times my clients will forget to see the "notes" on a workout or not see how many sets or reps they have because on their end, these features are more hidden/non-intuitive

Pete W.

Best Online Training Software Out There!

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Pros

Trainerize is incredibly easy to use - Plus, their support team is very prompt in their replies, and is willing to hear feedback from users! Since I started using Trainerize a few years back, it's added a great degree of functionality that's made it even easier to use than ever before.

Cons

Not to be a homer, but I can't complain! Whenever I've recommended an addition to the interface, Trainerize always delivered in a prompt and effective manner.

Lisa H.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Trainerize is a win-win for me and my clients!

Reviewed on 2016/08/19

I subscribed to Trainerize many months ago and it just keeps getting better. I think they've added functionality each month. My clients find it easy to use and I no longer have to use pen and paper. Plus, it's allowed me to get serious about providing online training. I tried a competitor of theirs first and there is absolutely no comparison. This high quality and intuitive program, combined with great customer support, makes Trainerize well worth the small monthly investment. I would highly recommend!

Pros

Ease of use, intuitive functionality, ever-growing exercise library, ability to add my own videos, marketing/brand site included

Cons

Wish there was an easy payment function for my clients directly in Trainerize, but Trainerize has partnered with Zapier to allow us to integrate payment from other sources.

Elís mar E.

A great tool to monitor and track your clients progress and training adherence.

Reviewed on 2017/11/03

Better overview of clients training and diet habits.

Pros

I love that it simulates how you deliver a workout to your client on paper. You create a workout, and the each time the client tracks it, it logs the sets, reps and weights. Simple and effective.

Cons

A little to long between updates. I'd love to receive minor bug fixes more often, than only get an update once a month (or sometimes longer between updates). Custom apps also are to far behind the official app it seems.

Mckenna G.

Personal Thoughts

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

My clients give me great feedback on this! They love how there are video's to follow for workouts, and the layout of the app is very helpful to them. I also love how quick I'm able to make adjustments. It's a very quick and efficient software!

Pros

I love the flow this software gives when writing out workouts. It's very beneficial to have YouTube as a back-up for videos. I also like the option to add notes when needed. The ability to customize workouts and keep track of past workouts for each client is very helpful.

The check-in's with pictures and measurements are very easy to read and compare.

Cons

I wish it had a nutrition feature to this program. It forces me to use another software instead of staying in one place. I also think that the cost is more on the high-end.

Tiffiny F.

Great for Online Fitness Business

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Love this app; it literally is a simple one-stop-shop for all online trainers and meal planners.

Pros

I really loved the video library. You can easily pick premade videos from their library or create videos and upload them in the library. My clients loved how easy it was to foIlow. I was able to send and receive messages from my clients, and create my own web page for my business.

Cons

There was nothing I didn't like about this software. It was easy to use and whenever I had a question I got support on the phone or in chat.

Response from Trainerize

Hi Tiffiny,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and provide feedback! We are so happy to know that you and your clients, like the ease of navigating with the app.

Stay tuned for even more exciting updates and new features :)
- Team Trainerize

Gail B.

Great Software Program for personal trainers

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Pros

I love Trainerize, the app allows you to send workouts directly to clients and alerts you when they have completed them. They also highlight you as a trainer to anyone looking for personal trainers in your area!

Cons

The only downside which they have now fixed was only having Paypal as an integrated payment option. Unfortunately, I had to merge my business into another software program prior to the change but I still use Trainerize to setup and send programs to my clients and I recommend it to all my trainers and coaches.

Lucineia P.
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

.trainerize excellent software for personal training

Reviewed on 2020/07/14

Overall, he is excellent, he has over 75 thousand professionals at our disposal, all very well trained and attentive. and the exercises are very dynamic

Pros

It is very practical as it allows us to train in any environment. can be accessed by cell phone this makes it much easier for those who have a running routine

Cons

Only once the technical support took me for a return I found it very boring. but they solved my doubts later

Response from Trainerize

Hi Lucineia,

Thank you for your feedback!

We are so happy you like the ease of navigating with Trainerize App!

Stay tuned for even more exciting updates!

Stay tuned! :) - Team Trainerize

Landon F.

Best Customizable App Out As Of Right Now

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

It’s great. I love it. I think it’s the best customizable app out there as of right now. But it could still be improved tremendously.

Pros

I like that I customize everything. Love the YouTube video search feature when looking for exercises/workouts. I usually use the YouTube videos more than the ones created by trainerize.

Cons

It seems cheap and poorly made. Lot of software bugs. Feel like the designer of it is 80 years old and is using software from the 90s. Could use an update and better tech development and design.