Square Payroll

4,4
Alexandria K.

So easy to use

Reviewed on 2019/12/31

Square Payroll makes it so easy. I've heard so many horror stories about other payroll companies.

Pros

I love how easy it is to setup, add employees, and run payroll every week. I also love that they offer easy integrations with things like workers comp.

Cons

Honestly I haven't found anything I don't like about Square Payroll.

Barbara M.
Industry: Accounting

POTENTIAL TO BE THE GREATEST

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/02/10

It gets the job done for a good price, but don't expect any fancy stuff and customizeable reports

Pros

Somewhat easy to use. It gets the job done, and it is affordable and easy to train others to use...

Cons

Reports really are NOT what we need. I need to be able to see UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE paid on behalf of EACH employee. I need to be able to download a report that user-friendly to send to others (instead they are LONG with tons of unused lines for county tax that wasn't withheld. If there is nothing in the field, it doesn't need to display on a report). Trying to figure out the timecards... ugh. frustrating. I just gave up.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Adriana A.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Good for Smaller Businesses

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/10/06

For the size of my organization, Square Payroll is a great choice.

Pros

Square made it really easy to pay employees. They do all the work for you, including quarterly taxes to IRS and EDD. They charge a monthly fee and a copy of your filed taxes are sent to you. It's that simple.

Cons

There's not too much I don't like about the service. For Square to do all the filing of quarterly taxes for me makes it worth it to pay the monthly fee. One downside might be is if you have a large organization with a lot of employees. Square charges a fee per employee which can get pricey with a large team.

Lori W.
Industry: Food & Beverages

If you cancel their service...BEWARE!

Reviewed on 2019/01/17

I will be looking for a completely new POS system as well as processor as this situation has left my small business in a bind halfway through January 2019.

Pros

The software itself is fairly easy to utilize; however, if you happen to cancel your subscription beware as you will be on your own. I had reorganized and changed entities therefore, cancelled my Square subscription. When changing entities I acquired a new EIN for the LLC. Square has refused to provide W2's for my employees for the 2017 tax year for the Sole Prop EIN in which I used for the business while with Square. After several emails back and forth I just received confirmation that Square will not be completing W2's for my business as I cancelled my service.

Cons

Customer service is extremely difficult with square as a whole. If you have any type of problem you will pretty much be on your own to research the internet or review conversation on the forum.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Rebecca W.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Square Payroll for Small Business

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2020/07/02

I am very happy with the software and the services it provides, and it makes running payroll smooth and easy.

Pros

This software is easy to set up and use, especially when already a Square customer for other services. Affordable and user-friendly.

Cons

Initially, I had issues when setting up my pay cycle because the software was not as flexible as I would have liked and I had missed a deadline, and I had to get a work-around from customer service. But once my initial run had been completed, I was able to get everything easily on track, and have had no further issues.

Cham W.
Industry: Construction

Excellent once you get the hang of it

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

Pros

Square Payroll was easy to set up, and adding new employees is a very simple and fast process. Our employees have an online portal where they can edit their direct deposit details/address/withholdings/etc.
As the administrator I'm able to import their hours from third party programs as well (currently using T-Sheets)
The deadlines to submit payroll are clearly displayed, as well as the window of time when you can cancel or edit a submitted payroll.

Cons

For our company there are multiple pay rates depending on the work (regular hourly pay, drive time, etc.) When importing from T-Sheets I have to manually go through every time entry and specify what pay rate will be applied to each shift for every employee.
It's not possible either to change how direct deposits are labeled on the employee's bank statement. Instead of having my company name listed it just shows "SQUARE PAYROLL"

Isaac M.

Perfect for small buisness

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

Wonderful experience and great service so far.

Pros

I enjoy the pricing. This is the best payroll for the price! It also gives me the ability to have my employees clock in and out on the square register for free. They also send text messages to remind me to run payroll. I am very pleased with this product and service.

Cons

The only thing I like the least is that you have to run payroll 5 days before it’s processed.

Serene C.
Industry: Hospitality

A surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Passed with flying colors Thank you!

Reviewed on 2018/11/01

I was recently audited by the NC State of Employment Security and passed
with flying colors because we use Square up for our payroll services.

I am busy leading my business, which means wearing many hats, and I have
always depended on Square up to file the right forms, charge the correct
rates, and pay my employees.

All I have to do is plug in the time cards each week and click the pay
button.

The surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Thank you!

Sincerely

Pros

Ease of use for sure, navigation, and customer support

Cons

Our team will have the same time cards...would like a feature that duplicates the time and can change the employee would be helpful

Ebone A.

I love it

Reviewed on 2020/01/11

Other than that everything is great and I enjoy using it daily

Pros

I love how versatile and easy it is to use

Cons

The only thing I would change is how much percentage they take out off each charge.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Katie H.
Industry: Real Estate

Works great!

Reviewed on 2020/01/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I really like square payroll and unless you need to keep a lot of information with it then it works perfect.

Pros

Square is a great system that helps with payroll and really makes it simple to invoice as well as payroll for the whole company.

Cons

The only downfall is that it is not part of a whole software that has all your maintenance records as well and it is only for payroll

Louis C.
Industry: Computer Software

Square Payroll has proven a valuable solution to organizing and managing many vital aspects of our financial output system to employees.

Reviewed on 2018/12/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We were pleasantly surprised by Square Payroll's deep feature set and found that this application can contain just about every aspect
of payroll function to employees. This application offers access for employees to individual accounts in order import hours worked and to create
reports regarding vacation hours or even company benefits to name a just few of many parameters.

Pros

We appreciated the inclusion of so many capabilities inside the Square Payroll application such as salary calculators which generate
accurate payroll rates individually or by group. This is one of many features Square Payroll offers through an easy to use front line
interface. Our team was also impressed with Square Payroll's ability to integrate with our third party operational management software
already in place. Synchronization is proven in most cases quite fluid. As Square Payroll supports mobile use on IOS and Android, access is
readily available for employees when remote.

Cons

With such an outstanding and comprehensive application , our team found Square Payroll's customer service difficult to contact
and almost as equally difficult to work with during our installation and integration phases. We are happy to report that this level
of service improved as we progressed with Square Payroll's application features. There is a rather robust and informed online forum that
is available where so many issues can be resolved thus improving client quality control levels.

Josie L.

Easy & Intuitive Payroll Software

Reviewed on 2016/09/19

Square's Payroll is insanely easy to use and navigate. I've been using it since Jan 1, 2015 and my only wish is that I started it sooner. I like that I can offer direct deposit to my employees and pick how often to pay them. They love it too because it's so simple, they don't have to worry about payroll. The backend for both me and my employees is also really easy to understand. I highly recommend it.

Pros

It's easy to use and understand. My employees said signing up and filling out their w-2 info was the easiest ever. Nobody had to ask me (or their Mom's!), it's direct and in plain English.
It calculates paid sick time for me (as per the new sick leave act in CA).
Submitting my quarterly federal tax returns and CA quarterly report of wages is also easy. It's so easy I don't even know how to do it because Square does it automatically for me!
Customer service is also great. One time I received a notice from EDD that I filed late, I called Square and they took care of it. My fee was waived, I haven't had an issue since.

Cons

I wish the Pay history offered more sorting options like their Sales information. I'd like to be able to see it by year, month, quarter, etc. I know Payroll is still kinda "new" so it wouldn't surprise me if this is offered later.

Erica S.

Square has taken great care of us. Always there when we have questions. Simple to employees

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

1. Self controlled payroll (i.e. I can edit punches, see everything behind everyone's payroll).
2. Much faster/more efficient punches (no longer writing it down, having employees punch in and out on the ipad is so much easier).
3. I can do payroll from anywhere. I once did it on the top of Haleakala in Hawaii.

Efficient filing from payroll specialists, and being able to remove employees right away if they are no longer working for us.

Pros

1. The option to fix things right on your account. It makes accuracy and ease seamless. It is also very quick.
2. The customer support! Because I'm constantly on the go with my job, being able to send an email and receive an email response to my question makes it easy anytime and anywhere to get help. The responses are always knowledgable, patient, and consistent.
3. Being able to see the stats on our payroll is AMAZING. With previous payroll specialist it seemed like we didn't have the option to really see behind the scenes, but now we are able to see everything and every penny.

Cons

There are times that the software gets glitchy when people punch in and/or out (will say they punched in or out but didn't actually/will say they worked a different amount of hours than they actually worked). Employees can usually tell from the punch screen though if something went wrong. After letting me know, it is always an easy fix, but still a fix to have to take care of.

Donette O.

Square itself has been easy to use and mostly reliable.

Reviewed on 2017/12/10

Pros

The software is simple and pretty easy to use. Customer service is pretty strong and helpful with the exception of the payroll department.

Cons

The fact that an apple update, in which we couldn't control if the iPad updated EVEN when we had it set to "do not automatically update," completely messed up our system for a couple weeks was very inconvenient and was a total hinderance on our business. We had to wait for that second apple update to fix the issue but in the mean time we could't print receipts, use the reader, or open the drawer. It seems that Square should have made some kind of correction or glitch fix in the mean time to help their users continue using with ease.

Also the system has gone down completely in the past, and even though you all apologize... it still puts our business at risk when we can't complete transactions, harming our customers and our reputation. We should have been compensated for all of the trouble that we faced.

For payroll, it is extremely frustrating to not be able to talk to a live person when we have questions or issues. The customer service in the payroll department is not good.

Industry: Consumer Goods

This is significantly easier/cheaper than big competitors

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

I joined in the beta testing and have loved it. It definitely helped us cut our administrative costs for payroll.

Pros

I love that I can run payroll in 10 minutes or less and that they file all the necessary paperwork. The cost is based per employee, which works for my business model. They have a new app for folks on the go, too. I've downloaded that, but not used it yet.

Cons

Editing timecards isn't too bad, however, you have to wait until the employee is clocked out to make the edit and it can be easy to get busy and forget. But sometimes the system doesn't let me add a timecard from scratch. The employee doesn't drop down in the menu so I have to go add the hours to an existing timecard. This isn't a big deal if you're not carefully monitoring costs, etc.

Also, my employees go back and forth between locations, so if they start at location 1 to pick supplies up and clock in there, they're clocked in at that location for the whole shift. I wish there was an option to select which location they're working at.

Kk K.

full function, price-friendly

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

Save a lot of time and figure out a lot of things via this one platform. Can check the sales and manage the customer anytime via one device.

Pros

This app offers a series of services, covering lot of services about marketing promotions, employee payroll, sales report and the customer management. I like its convenience of operating the whole store and simplify the management procedures via only set up some services. I can directly contact customer via the loyalty program and quickly gain some feedback for better improvement for the product and service. Additionally, it offers some beautiful design templates for the e-gift card, which save some cost in printing out paper gift card and design fee.

Cons

The customer service is just OK because sometimes it didn't email you back in time. Square mostly will lead you to the community to see how your problem can be fixed. It did waste some time to find a related correct way to fix the problem or get an answer for the question.

Marisol G.

Over all good, easy to pay employees.

Reviewed on 2017/11/05

Easy to learn and use

Pros

Easy to use and customer service is always willing to help but at time since they don't use the products. Some questions are hard for them to answer, giving a text book answer and not fixing the problem. Even though they were ready and willing to help in every way. I have called multiple times and have had great experiences with staff.

Cons

Easier way for a receptionist to ring out different employees to lessen any mistakes, when pulling reports. Or..... giving an option to change service provider when pulling reports, if a mistake is made. Sometimes making the report irrelevant having to manually add all service and retail because something was rung up under an another employee. When paying employees commission a mistake can create tension. Ringing out you can not make any mistakes without voiding the transaction. when the only mistake was it was under a wrong employee name.

Jean V.
Industry: Arts & Crafts

Pretty good, but not quite perfect for me

Reviewed on 2020/02/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I love that my employees timecards are much more accurate than my previous method of writing it on paper and figuring it out. It has helped me deal with the red tape my state imposes on me, so that's a real plus. I ultimately chose to remain with my current provider because of the lack of blank check printing capabilities. I would like a way for my employees to track their sick time taken on their apps.

Pros

I use Square for retail and appointments, so I wanted to try the payroll function. The set up was easy to do, and my employees downloaded the timecards app and didn't seem to have any problems setting it up on their end.

Cons

It says that there is a check printing function, so the first time I went to run payroll, I discovered that I needed pre-printed checks. My current provider's software prints out complete checks on check blanks that I buy online. So, I'm using the timecards function, but not the actual payroll portion. On the timecards, I still have to calculate sick pay manually. I would like my employees to be able to sign in to sick time on their own.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Danielle C.

Simple and easy to use, great value for the cost!

Reviewed on 2017/12/07

Pros

Square payroll is very simple to use and gets payroll done quickly. Our employees clock in through our Square POS so when it's time to do payroll, all I have to do is upload their timecards, enter their tips or sick leave and it's done. I've used other payroll systems that are not as simple or user intuitive and I really can't believe how much time I've wasted. I love having all of my sales information and employee information in one place. It makes it easier to compare your sales VS labor and budget accordingly. I would definitely recommend it!

Cons

Customer service could be improved, mainly with wait times and resolution of issues. Usually I have to re-tell my problem to multiple customer service reps before they pass it along to someone else who will then get back to me the next day. Relaying information regarding changes employees make to their profiles, like W-4s could also be improved. It would be nice to have a separate column to enter Sick Leave VS PTO when doing payroll.

Mary S.
Industry: Translation & Localization
Company size: Self Employed

Phenomenal!

Reviewed on 2017/12/04

The benefits, saves you alot of time, money, and customer support are there when you need them, if you need them, SQUARE dashboard is so friendly user that there is no way you will need customer support.

Pros

I am the owner of a small business and just recently hired a Contractor. I was so excited to find out that Square had this feature for Direct Deposit to pay the Contractor not only that but they also take care of the 1099 form as well. I have been using Square to take payments over the phone, through the Virtual Payment and my sales have increase, I love the features about sending an email to request payments and reminders, the Dashboard is so friendly user that I am able to navigate anywhere with no issues, no questions, no doubts. I love the people behind it for making this process way to easy for people like me that hate complications. Thank you, Square. No one competes with you. I love you!

Tiffany C.

Payroll or bust!

Reviewed on 2018/12/28

Square Payroll is amazing as they file my quarterly payroll taxes for me. It is very easy to log on to squareup.com and check my analytics for payroll immediately. Very user friendly! Highly recommend.

Pros

Let's face it. As a business owner, we need to have payroll. Forget writing hours on paper (and searching for it later)... Square payroll is easy to read, reports your labor cost right there for you, shows employee break times, etc. I couldn't live without it!

Cons

Quite honestly, I've used it for two and a half years, and I have nothing to complain about!

Dena G.

Good software at a great price

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Pros

The software is very user friendly, which is a major plus of the software. I like that you can add Memos to the paystubs now. This is a nice feature. Also the software's features are of a great value for the services provided.

Cons

I do not like that you cannot generate complete timecard spreadsheets which include the date, start and end times for each day for a specified time period. You can download individual timecards for any given day, and you can generate a spreadsheet with the total number of hours worked for a given time period, but you cannot generate a single spreadsheet which includes the date, start and end times for every single date in the time range. I have addressed this with Square support and have asked for this to be something considered in software updates. Employers in CA are required to maintain timecards for their employees so it would be very convenient if Square could add this feature to the software. Having to download each individual day's timecards is rather burdensome. Also, Customer Service has not always been very helpful. Sometimes I just get a cut and paste with the rep which does not address my specific inquiry.

Christopher H.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Ditch Your Other Payroll Providers ASAP

Reviewed on 2016/09/19

I was getting fed up with Wells Fargo payroll for years. Every time I requested a change, such as employee bonuses or salary increases, they would screw up payroll for everybody.

I knew that whenever I would ask them for something, things would get screwed up.

I was looking for a change, and considered Bank of America. The price was comparable to Wells Fargo.

Then I heard that Square was doing payroll. I was instantly intrigued, because I like the credit card payments using the card (see them, but never used the service for our business).

Square has a reputation for technological innovation, and the price was very good. I like allowing the employees to manage their own accounts and to get their documentation.

Square Payroll rocks!

I just wish they had the ability to automatically run salaried payrolls. I don't like to run payroll. All our employees are salaried and get paid the same amount twice each month. However, we do give Xmas bonuses, which is an annual change request that Wells Fargo would screw up most years.

Pros

Employees have real-time access to their payroll reports and manage their own accounts

Cons

I have to run payroll for salaried employees every two weeks.

Cynthia M.

ease to use, all in one, responsive

Reviewed on 2017/12/21

Pros

Most of my small business POS and payroll tasks can be handled with this one system.
There is a lot of flexibility to match the system to my business specific categories, product lines, items and variations.

Cons

Lack of automating conversion of information from this to quickbooks. Returns/exchanges
Library organization limitations - you put what is a priority to you at the top instead of what is a proirity to me.
Square Gift cards are too expensive to use.

Johnny L.

Good but it can be better.

Reviewed on 2017/12/07

Not having to file some of my own business documents

Pros

I like that it is so easy to charge our customers and I also like that we can create invoices, emails, feedback, etc. I also like how your staff sends resources via email to try to help ,e

Cons

Staff need to be more knowledgeable and familiar w/ their area of expertise so that they assist us better when we have any issues. Also, when I try to create recurring invoices for clients, it will not accept them but it will accept the transaction through point of sale. Also, my employees are in a union and I feel like having to manually input my employees union fees takes a lot of effort