eSUB

Construction project management software for subcontractors

4,5
4,7
4,5
4,4
4,7
Hogan H.

eSub delivers a quality product that is easy to use and meets all of our needs.

Reviewed on 2015/07/17

eSub provides a great cloud-based solution that meets all of our project management and project tracking needs. As a subcontractor, it was nice to finally find a software solution that is tailored to the needs of subs and our work flow. It is easy to use and it has been easily adopted by all of our users, both in the office and in the field. I find that it covers all of the processes of a subcontracting workflow simply, but it is not simplistic. It is a sophisticated piece of software that has increased our internal efficiency and our external "appearance" to our clients.

The only small complaint I've had so far with this software is the inability to share some common project submittal information between old and new projects, but this would be a great extra, not a deal killer at all. We have been very happy with eSub's continued enhancements and their technical support staff is very helpful and very easy to get a hold of. I'd rate their support team among the best that I've encountered over the years.

If you are a subcontracting firm looking for project management/project tracking software, eSub provides a great solution and is a great value for the price. I'd highly recommend it.

Shon S.
Industry: Construction

Perfect PM platform for subcontractors!

Reviewed on 2019/08/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We're extremely pleased with eSub. The timecard function is great, getting project information to our Superintendents and Foremen is immeasurable. I really like the submittal, Change Order, and RFI functions.

Pros

Too many Pros to list here. The submittal process is quick and easy, and very professional. Change orders are a snap. RFI's can be started by our field leaders on the eSub app, and finished by the PM in the office. All of these have a great tracking system through the log provided. All logs can be exported into Excel to be sent to GC's or CM's. We use the Sage 300 connector, and all project financials are current in our projects on eSub. There's a cost to complete function that is a great way to get an idea of how the project will finish. Nearly all this information is available to our field users through the app, which gives them all the project information.

Cons

Not really a Con, but it would be nice if the PO function would sync both ways through the Sage 300 connector. I believe that's a Timberline issue, though. Still, using eSub PO allows a real time look at committed costs against our project estimate.

Matt S.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

eSub Review

Reviewed on 2015/07/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The way it's tailored towards sub-contractors is a plus. A lot of other software solutions are geared towards GC's. The ability to share information is great, office and field are both synced. Makes you adapt one method of creating and maintaining documents is a plus.

Cons

Their tech support is helpful but the resolutions is always "we'll let our developer look at it and we'll get back to you" which in my experience can take several weeks. There is no ticketing system for the items I've submitted that are issues. It's up to me to remind them that i have outstanding issues and to get the status on them. In the amount of time we have been using the software, we've experienced more than the expected amount of issues.

We've experience two times where the system was "down" which is pretty much unacceptable if this software solution is the to be the lifeline of your document system.

We were told that the software is customize-able and while that is true in some aspects, it's not completely true. I've inquired about customization and I'm having a hard time getting it rolling.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Christopher C.

Communication at it's finest

Reviewed on 2019/08/01
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

When it comes to RFIs and submittals, eSub tackles the task as needed. Quick and efficient. Keeps projects moving forward and profitable

Pros

eSUb is communication at its finest. Seamless path between members who inquiry and provide approvals

Cons

nothing not liked. eSub continued to improve and update its software

Dan R.

Medium Sized Subcontractor using esub

Reviewed on 2015/07/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The simplicity of Esub is one of the best aspects, the repetitive nature of the system allows anyone to pick it up easily. The tracking and logging of submittals, RFIs, change orders is great. In using other project management systems, they tend to over complicate the interface where as Esub is straight forward and easy to use. Within the system the ability to attach files and use the emailing
"@esubdocs" allows all aspects of the project to be documented within the system so that everything you need is all one place. Recently we have started to build our database for cha nge orders and manpower which has allowed us to use the system for logging and tracking of outstanding, approved and voided CORs which allows us to keep track of everything, which is especially helpful on larger projects where we have up to 50 CORs.

Cons

One aspect we would like to change is the fact that we cannot erase if there is an error made in the submission, we understand the reason, however it would be a nice option if the admin of the system could erase.

Another component that we do not use is the drawings logging section, it is too cluttered, we keep track of the drawings through the submissions, which works great for us.

Hogan H.
Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

eSub Meets the Needs of RSI (a concrete subcontractor)

Reviewed on 2014/12/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

A couple great things about eSub is that it is tailored to subcontractors and the way we do business and it handles our needs really well. Many software packages try to be all things to all people. Conversely, eSub has chosen their target market - subcontractors - and has delivered a product that serves this market well. The program is-well thought-out, intuitive and easy to use. As a result, we have seen a marked increase in the tracking and logging of our projects by our project managers and superintendents. That's a big, big plus.

Cons

I cannot say anything negative about the vendor. eSub had delivered all that they promised, and I would rate their tech support group as top-notch; better than most by far. So far, I've made only two enhancement recommendations: a) a more seamless way to handle pay apps and b) the ability to copy submittals from one project to another. The pay application and submittal modules work well, but could be better with these two suggestions.

Marci V.
Industry: Construction

eSub is very easy to use and has just about everything that you could want in a software product

Reviewed on 2017/06/26
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The customer service/ support is amazing. Overall everything you might want in a system is already there. The few things needed to customize it for your company can usually get done. Our foremen, who may not have much computer experience out in the field, have easily gotten accustomed to it as well.

Pros

The ease of use- even for computer illiterate people. There is not much more that you could ask for especially for subcontractors. Most of the software out there is for general contractors.

Cons

We do some things differently and have had to wait a little while to get a few things changed to our way of doing them.

Eddie W.

Great Project Managing Tool

Reviewed on 2020/05/26
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Ease of use, great support team. I also like that eSub is always adding features and updating it's look.

Cons

Same as all new software, it's going to take some time to work out the kinks and there is never a good time to make a change.

Tim M.
Industry: Utilities

Great Software

Reviewed on 2019/08/01
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The time and money that we have saved on the change orders has paid for the product 10 folder. Documentation is a key part of management now and this software does a great job.

Pros

The tools that you have for tracking are the strangest that I have seen. We have been able to keep track of Change Orders and making sure that everything is getting paid for. The ability to generate, send and track in one spot is a huge time save.

Cons

The ability to have custom content is a down side. If you do need anything custom it take time and money to get it in place.

Chloe R.

Easy to navigate & well-organized

Reviewed on 2020/05/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

eSUB helps me to keep my tasks organized for each job. My favorite features are the ability to apply a contact to multiple jobs within the click of a button, as well as, "copy" from previous entries so that I can ensure each transmittal I send out is consistent and easy to follow.

Cons

It would be nice to customize shortcuts instead of having to switch in & out of screens, such as either offering a shortcut to access the (ex.) Submittal Log from the top menu or an option to add the page as a new tab.

Chris W.
Industry: Construction

Worth every penny, wish we started using eSub sooner

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Saved thousands of dollars on support and field production time.

Pros

We came to eSub after a horrid experience with another vendor that claimed they would "simplify" my life and save us countless hours and money. After 12 months with thousands and thousands of dollars spent on support and wasting way too many hours to admit without profound embarrassment, I made the choice to abandon the failing attempt and give eSub a try.
I tested eSub for a few months before making a complete shift to their platform and the only regret is I did not do it sooner. The conversion was smooth, the training was on point and the relationship is that of a partner not a parasite looking to milk us dry with a poorly engineered and supported product. We have saved thousands of dollars, countless productive field hours and I don't spend my entire day managing our management software. Feel free to look us up with any questions.

Cons

If forced to submit a "con", the only thing that we have requested, from time to time, is a custom form or a modification to the way items are displayed. BUT... this is because we are trying to preserve OUR method. The eSub method is not flawed, we are making the request. The support team is still extremely responsive and I really don't see this as a con.

Tiffany H.
Industry: Construction

Best software purchase we have ever made!

Reviewed on 2019/08/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We definitely have had a 5 star plus experience. The training was hands down the best we have ever received, the customer service is spot on, couldn't be better. Highly recommend this software for all Subcontractors regardless of your size. You will not regret it!

Pros

Ease of use and its geared to Subcontractors so you don't have to deal with all the General Contractor minutia that doesn't pertain to you. The biggest problem we have had with other software is that there was "too much" and it was overwhelming to some of our less "technological" employees and eventually they just stopped using it and went back to paper. They are actually excited to use this software. It takes them so much less time to manage their daily paperwork & reporting. We used to have to hound our Foreman for paperwork, not anymore. It has also increased productivity in the field as they don't have to wait to get answers from the PM's, they can look up responses and get the answers themselves. On the flip side the time it saves for the Project Manager is unbelievable and I no longer have to wait for answers, they are right there at my fingertips. We actually had a PM retire and with e SUB streamlining all our paperwork our other PM's were able to take on his projects and we didn't have to hire an replacement. This software is priceless!

Cons

Why didn't they contact me earlier? Can't find any cons right now and if we do I am sure their amazing customer service team will jump on it and take care of whatever it is right away.

Cody W.

Exceptional product !

Reviewed on 2019/08/02

This product is great all around in terms of use , filing and be able to send them electronically to general contractors is a huge plus . We use the notes sections for progress photos or photos of delays . I can even title daily reports on days where i have rain days or days I do my safety meetings . It’s helped our company as a whole be more efficient with paper work filing and time spent filling out papers making copies as well as storing progress photos . We recently started using the calendar for milestones and it’s going to help even more !

Pros

Ease of use and being able to share and explain this program to other contractors that I reoffend this to . They love getting our daily reports via email with the breakdowns of manpower and detailed descriptions of work preformed .

Cons

There are a few minor things I spoke with Customer Service about . Main thing I’d like to see is notifications and reminders from calendar but all in all very pleased with esub .

Jennifer D.

ESub has been a game changer for us!

Reviewed on 2015/07/10

Pros:
-easy to use
- streamlines project management by reducing hefty admin time spent creating documents such as: purchase orders, rfi's, sub agreements, change orders, quick memos , etc
-allows for more timely contract responsiveness to our customers
-makes creating submittals a breeze
- produces excellent daily reports for manpower by cost code that are easy to download
- excellent cost tracking by cost code and issues
-excellent project overview
-excellent customer service, very responsive with follow through
-easy to train new users

Cons:
-contact management can be a little burdensome with all the clicking required. You learn quickly to setup the project correctly from the beginning with all pertinent contacts. The contact will already be added in the main contact log but not assigned to that specific project unless that project is 'clicked' for that contact. This resulted in a few new ESub users thinking those contacts weren't in the main contact log yet and they added them, creating duplicates. You do get the hang of this and your preparation will be self-appreciatied down the line.
-this one is a pro and a con depending on how you use this software: you really can't fully delete anything. For example: If you enter the wrong date on a daily report (auto dates for current date) you cannot go back to change later so better get it right the first time. This could be simplified by requiring an entry instead of auto fill maybe? You also cannot delete that report and start new. We add notes to the internal notes "work date was actually xx/xx" so that it will show up on a multiple daily report.
-the outgoing emails from the website for some reason often get filtered by spam filters and end up sitting in the recipients junk folders. This is quickly resolved by a follow up to the vendor or customer via phone or email to confirm which is common practice. Also, this is probably typical of any web based software outbound emails.

All and all I use it just about every day and I would highly recommend it. Once you are trained and used to the system; it's fantastic. Definitely allows our company to operate much more efficiently than before we had ESub!!

Doug W.

Overall excellent customer service.

Reviewed on 2018/02/02

Pros

Daily jobsite reporting and time tracking, as well as the simplicity of their field notes make this software an excellent link between what's going on in the field and management in the office. The automatic tracking of RFIs and submittals also helps avoid things falling through the cracks. The eSUB team has also done an excellent job of continually working to streamline the product and to fit the users needs.

Cons

The biggest con with the software is in their file management for uploaded job information such as drawings. If you have a typical project layout for how you want to file things, you'll be fine, but if your project becomes unusually complex it may require some extra effort to make sure everything stays clear.

Neal A.
Industry: Construction

Helped get our project management team more organized and start projects better prepared.

Reviewed on 2017/06/28

Tracking and organization of different documents required for each project.

Pros

The creation and tracking of submittals, RFIs, and change orders has been a game changer in how organized we are from the start of projects to the close out. It allows all our project management team to see what has been done to date on a project from anywhere without having to carry a large project notebook with them. The recent API integration with Plangrid has made RFI creation easier and more professional looking.

Cons

Branding consistency. The forms and letters it outputs are branded with our logo but it would be great to be able to input a signature into the emails that it sends out from the system.

Kimberly D.
Industry: Construction

Great customer support and lots of help to organize and streamline our company

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

The benefits are amazing! We can see reports and real time accomplishments from the jobsite to the office. Communication is at an all time high. I can track job costing and estimates and be able to see the job from conception to completion without skipping a beat. This software program has helped us become more organized and cost efficient. I would recommend this to everyone! Thank you!

Pros

I can see everything with my phone and anything I need is just a few keys away! Job costing, employee info and tracking is fantastic!

Cons

Teaching new employees how to use esub can sometimes be difficult. Also- it would be good to know everything that esub is capable of. I see that Esub now has an Esub academy and I feel like that would be very helpful.

Samantha M.
Industry: Construction

eSub is a streamlined software for subcontractors!

Reviewed on 2019/12/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Project management was made much easier with eSub. The ability for all relevant staff to access the information was priceless. It was great being able to assign different roles to different users so individuals only saw the information relevant to their position. Our clients liked receiving correspondence through eSub since attachments come through with a clear subject line and PDF file.

Pros

Ability to customize and send CORs and EWOs, as well as have a record of all emails related to the COR or EWO. It was easy to create and send these to our clients and track any approvals, revisions, or rejections.

Cons

No cons

Genevieve C.

Easy and Useful

Reviewed on 2018/02/01

Tracking everything that's being submitted to the GC / customer / vendors for all projects.

Pros

The ability to track all your submittals and purchase orders on one place.

The ability to track costs based on PO'S, and change orders versus the contract budget and amount.

It's great to be able to send e-mails through eSUB.

Cons

The Sales Tax Feature, most of our vendors don't provide the tax %. I'd recommend that there be another box for just the amount and the purchase order spits out the %.

Transmittals I wish you would be able to provide the signature line for that form as well, as its available for submittals.

When uploading files to the submittals, purchase orders, etc. if there's a lot attachments it would be more better if we are able to arrangement which attachments appear first. Instead you have to load one by one and remember which attachment you want to include in the order you want it to appear.

Steve W.

Manage Your Business

Reviewed on 2019/10/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The verification of work completed, with story of what was happening on job. The ability to see the progress of each job everyday.

Pros

The easy to see what is happening on every job with daily report, job site pictures to verify the reports, tracking progress of the job from the budget to the finish. To verify your milestones to check with each department to find out if we are ahead or behind on the project.

Cons

We would like to set-up the budgets and have them transfer into Quick Books Enterprise at this time it's all double entry. Transfer fabrication / pull list from quick book enterprise to Esub for verifying on budget for materials and equipment charges to job. This would then make pre-billing worksheets a breeze.

Vance P.
Industry: Construction

Lives up to what it is supposed to do.

Reviewed on 2018/09/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Gaining better control with our projects has saved time and money and our customers like the fact we are on top of the project at all times. Being pro-active rather than re-active is largly due to using eSub and the daily reports turned in by the field employees. Very user friendly for all employees.

Pros

Good support from everyone we dealt with at eSub
Better control of Projects from start to finish. Easy for field employees to enter required information

Cons

No real problems. The eSub program has even more features than we havebeen using. We wish we could have had this system earlier.

Jacqueline M.

Increased productivity

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Pros

The ease of use for entering daily reports makes it fast and efficient for my field supervisors to enter daily reports and hours and be able to attach pictures right from the app is a game changer. Processing Change orders and RFI's are done quickly and can be seen and approved just as fast. Field productivity has increased due to being able to get accurate information fast and accurately.

Cons

I would like to see more detailed reports, especially for timesheets.

Lissette C.
Industry: Construction

The Best Construction Software!

Reviewed on 2018/08/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I love the ease of use both from the office and field side. As a Construction Management professional with over 19+ years of experience, I can say that Esub is the best software I have used for Document Control and Retention. Also, the technical support has been awesome, you can actually speak to a live person that walks you step by step through the use of the software.

Cons

I truly have no complaints! In working in this industry as long as I have, this software has proven to be the best!

Ana H.
Industry: Construction

Has improved the communication between the Office and Field.

Reviewed on 2018/02/01

Better comunication between Office and Field.
Better tracking of CO's aprovals.
we can have all documentation available in one place.

Pros

Connect Office and Field
Document all situations in the Field so we can submit to GC
Change Orders are easy to create and submitt
Daily Reports help me to track subcontractors productivity

Cons

I don't like we have to create a document to e-mail field notes.
There are some features in the mobile version that are only available in the web.

Travis F.
Industry: Construction

eSub is well worth the expense

Reviewed on 2020/01/07
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The greatest benefit I see in eSub is the way it takes tasks that are moderately complicated and simplifies them, making the work we do much more efficient. I also am impressed with the tracking abilities of multiple documents, which greatly helps the organization of our department.

Cons

Being logged out after a time and having to log back in, especially when in the middle of drafting a document.