SimScale

Cloud-based CFD, FEA and thermal simulation via web browser.

4,4
Paras G.
Industry: Printing

Detailed & Easy

Reviewed on 2019/07/27

Pros

I am an OpenFOAM user and I like the freedom it gives the user to play with the parameters. SimScale offers the same level of freedom but with an interface that's simple and effortless to handle. Since it is cloud-based there isn't any need to download it and even the free version provides a lot of computing hours.

Cons

I am still exploring the software and have enjoyed every bit of it. I would appreciate if the tutorials emphasize more on the values used while mesh refining as well as Numerics and Simulation Control.

Michael H.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy to learn, even without previous FEA experience

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/07/26

I am an electrical engineer by training and don't routinely use FEA software in my current role. However, I had a problem that needed solving, no access to any other FEA packages, so I found SimScale. I probably won't be able to justify a fully licensed version, but the learning opportunity alone on the trial version is well worth your time investment.

The ease of use and how quickly I was able to run a basic simulation was amazing. Even importing geometry was easy.

Also very helpful is the ability to see how your solution is converging (or not). With that data you can make assessments about time step, mesh resolution, etc. It makes striking a balance between accuracy and computational intensity much easier to judge.

Pros

The online tutorials made this software very easy to gain a basic proficiency very quickly. The menu layout makes it easy to set simulation parameters and reduces the chance of missing something that will negatively impact the accuracy of your simulation.

Cons

So far I've found nothing that I don't like.

Mark H.

CFD + Customer Service need work

Reviewed on 2017/07/10

Pros

Speed
Ease of use/understanding
Complete control; SimScale has built-in options that allows more advanced users better control
Customer support responds quickly

Cons

I worked on a project evaluating SimScale for use in a professional setting and the software was unable to provide accurate results for a simple CFD simulation that I worked on with customer support for quite some time. They were responsive, but seemingly unable to find any issue with my solution that would only converge with unreliable results, if at all. Soon, they stopped responding. It just looks like the implementation of OpenFoam for CFD and the support staff are not at the level they need to be for SimScale to work for us right now. Hopefully things will improve in the future!

Response from SimScale

Dear Mark,

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I am sorry to hear that you didn¿t have a positive support experience. We treat the success of our customers as our success. So we aim at answering all user questions with effective solutions that help them get the job done faster. It seems like we didn¿t achieve that in your case. After a review of the support logs, it looks like this is what happened: Our support team answered via the live chat but you were already offline. Then the automatic follow-up email that is sent in case a user doesn¿t read the chat message wasn't sent out. This is currently being investigated to ensure it doesn¿t happen in the future.

In case you¿re willing to give SimScale a second chance, our support team would love to help you be successful with your next CFD project. If there is anything in addition we can do to help remedy your experience, feel free to reach out to me directly.

All the best,

Industry: Design

Simple to use

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/07/27

We needed a CFD solution that came with great support for the casual user. We only use it a few times a year, but it gives us great results. This helps us to have confidence our designs will perform as desired.

Pros

For a company that does not have a full time simulation staff person this is perfect. Easy to learn and support is #1.

Cons

Nothing. This software is great. When I get interns and they need to simulate something I just link them up with SimScale. The support people at SimScale are great and help on board my staff.

Patrick F.
Industry: Defense & Space

Simscale evaluation

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/08/01

I compared the software with Ansys, which I used for many years, and it's getting close to provide me the same experience.

Pros

Cloud based, powerfull, easy to link with CAD

Cons

Not covering the dynamic explicit, post processing has been improved but still need improvement, no possibility to restart simulation in dynamic

Industry: Telecommunications

All around support

Reviewed on 2019/08/02

Pros

It supports all types of 3D models and can be used from anywhere since it is cloud-based.

Cons

In the beginning, it is not very intuitive. Complicated simulations can become too much for the software.

Guillermo G.
Company size: Self Employed

Engineering simulation in the cloud

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

I have been using SimScale to tackle professional consulting projects, in the fields of structural analysis and flow simulation. It has allowed me to run detailed models to my like, and even run many simulations at the same time. All computation process and data is hosted in the cloud, so I can rest assured, turn off my computer and leave it running overnight. When needed help or advice, the forum is a great place with experienced, willing to help people.

Pros

The ability to run big models, such as FEA meshes in the order of 10 million nodes, and CFD in the order of 20 million cells, without the need of building a supercomputer is a game breaker. Just log in from a web browser and you are good to go to create, setup, run, supervise and post process any simulation. The support, both from the company and in the forum by other users is superb. Also, easy to access online tutorials, documentation, webinars and example projects lower the entre barrier for professionals that are new in the field.

Cons

Still missing some functionality to be considered a complete suite, basically some FEA and CFD simulation models.

Industry: Construction

Great software for CFD simulation and workflow

Reviewed on 2019/09/12

We started with using the Community plan and then upgrade. We were able to simulate the built environment with respect to air temperature, wind speed, humidity and mean radiant temperature and the quality of output/results were commendable. The computational power is enormous, which is a first for CFD software. SimScale is user-friendly and has a simple interface. Highly recommended.

Pros

The fact that SimScale is completely web-based CFD software that is capable of providing tangible outputs in a short period of time with the help of real-time simulation with no reduction in resources of the system, is the best aspect of this software. This is better than other CFD software that typically takes weeks to simulate a 24 hour period with basic boundary conditions.
SimScale allows us to simulate the built environment with respect to thermal simulation, wind analysis, heat island etc. with the help of CAD models within the browser, you don't need any expensive hardware upgrades or parallel computing either. The software is also capable of providing thermal comfort parameter outputs such as PMV and PPD, which can help designers to consider these when designing pedestrian/occupant friendly spaces.

Cons

Customer care can be a bit more proactive in solving issues. Secondly, there is currently no option to calculate PET, SET and UTCI which are outdoor thermal comfort parameters and can be added in a future upgrade.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Andrew M.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Simscale is an interesting software for simulations

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Now, we recommend simscale for everything related to digitally assisted engineering. It is very good for working with CAD formats, and for managing graphic comments or web visualizations. We also recommend it for complete analysis of finite elements (FEA).

Pros

The simscale platform makes it possible to work very well with design analysis, in the case of simulations. To these can be added 3D models externally, and you can add models of movement and turbulence.

Cons

With regard to BIM management, simscale lacks collaboration tools, a conflict tracking system, which would undoubtedly be very useful for managing its resolutions, and an internal documentation system.

Ajay bangalore H.
Industry: Research
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Excellent platform

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2016/10/06

I have tried several simulations - ranging from solid, fluid, particles etc. The platform is extremely well built and robust. I liked that it was extremely easy to use. The aspect I liked the most was that there is a community version that students and learners could use. In addition, I think the professional version serves best for more advanced users who would use simulations for design in a more pronounced manner and on an everyday basis.

The forums are extremely helpful and I am really glad regarding the speed at which one receives replies both from the people working in the company and also other users. In addition, the blogs and help files definitely make it really easy to use the platform.

One of the aspects I also liked is the fact that it is based on open-source codes. So it is not a black box. I could go to openFOAM and check out how things work. The codes are all well parallelized that I have never faced any issues. Issues with parallelization are a general problem in this line of work but with SimScale this was really handy.

There are definitely some aspects where they can improve:
1. Providing structural elements like shells, beams, and plates. Most of the large aspect ratio structures are very time consuming to model using 3D FEM

2. Allow users to use custom material models. Most often, in both industry and academia, we do not use material models given in the software but would like to input our own material model. This is what drives most of the R&D centres.

3. There are no ad-hoc algorithms that allow hexahedral mesh generation for all geometries. I can think this as one of the reasons why SimScale might not have hexahedral mesh generator. But this can be significantly useful for many applications.

I am sure this is a platform with great potential for the future & I will look forward to upcoming features.

Pros

Cons

There are definitely some aspects where they can improve:

Alberto jose M.
Company size: Self Employed

Great general purpose CFD for beginners but lacking some features required by advanced users

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

It is a great choice to start tackling CFD, it is quite good in pricing and capabilities for a CFD beginner or even for a medium-experienced one.

However, it lacks some developed tools required to manage complex simulations (which require more developed and powerful pre- and postprocessing tools)

Pros

The escalability (so you can launch lots of simulations simoultaneously) and not having to invest in hardware costs

Cons

The features available for postprocessing and meshing, which are very limited.

For meshing the main problem is the lack of better tools to manage geometric primitives so you can control the mesh.

For postprocessing the problem is having to know what results you need to extract before knowing the solution to your flowfield.

Christopher Q.

Cloud Simulation Really Works

Reviewed on 2016/05/25

I have used a lot of simulation packages over the past twenty five years including Nastran, Ansys, Solidworks, and a host of others.

I have been using Simscale for about nine months now and it has become my goto simulation tool. The cloud concept provides a lot of benefits and one of my favorite is the convenience it allows. I am no longer tied to my Windows workstation, now I perform most of my analysis on a $250 chromebook. I can work on my simulations anywhere and I no longer have to worry about my ram or graphics drivers or versions of Windows.

While the convenience of a browser based simulation tool is great, it has also allowed me to run models larger than I have ever conceived on my own workstation. I can run a static analysis with over 20 million DOFs and it will solve in a couple of hours.

The value proposition is another huge benefit. The annual subscription rate is less than the maintenance fee I paid on my Solidworks Simulation with only linear static capability. Simscale includes linear and nonlinear structural analysis as well as thermal and CFD. I am also saving money because I do not have to worry about updating my workstation or Windows.

Simscale is not a perfect tool, the two biggest areas of pain for me are the element types and the post processing. Right now Simscale does not support shells, beams, or springs. They are limited to primarily to tet elements so you have to use workarounds to accomplish some things. Also, the online post processor works well for small and medium jobs but for really large jobs you will need to postprocess locally.

One other noteworthy area is customer service. Simscale probably has the most responsive customer service of any of the simulation companies I have work with.

Response from SimScale

Thanks for such a great feedback, Christopher!

Amrit pal S.

Amendment in model tree

Reviewed on 2016/11/04

Simscale is good simulation software and also your efforts toward beta version of post processing is really great but whenever I hover mouse arrow over some of the items of value editing interface such as Details of load Boundary conditions I do not feel that there is something related to properties after type option because some time it does not show expanded mode of details so as a result one can get confused where to fill up force properties.For this I advice you, Tell your front end web interface developer of software that Detail portion should be highlighted by some outlining so that One can easily find that something in this particular portion without reading details or you can write something easy their like ADD THE VECTORS etc. Instead of Only writing just DETAILS. and Same thing happens with hovering arrow over simulations tree,Indication of selecting particular term in this just highlighted by switching arrow in hand but efficient way to turn it highlighted or emphasized by changing color of terms ,Last one and very important ,You should add search engine to scene tree so that one can easily select search particular surface or entity so that Time of searching manually reduced Because It is very difficult search a entity from hundreds If you want to take look you can look over MSC FOOSA model tree search type .You Will get lot of help from that. Thank you

Response from SimScale

Thank you for your feedback, Amrit! We will look into it. We are working on improving the platform for our users on a constant basis, so your comments are very much appreciated!

Lorenzo V.
Industry: Sports

An amazing tool

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

This tool has enabled me and my colleagues to achieve great results in car aerodynamics simulation.

Its simplicity made easy to explain CFD simulations to the "newbies" and improve our workflow.

Pros

It is a great tool because is offers a lot of power for the simulations and simplicity of use that is unrivaled by other tools.

Cons

Sometimes there are very specific needs that cannot be satisfied. This problems affects only minor aspects of the simulations: SimScale can always be used as a main tool

Arek P.

Good but could be better

Reviewed on 2015/10/09

Pros: easily accessible, relatively ease of use, based on very good solvers, good customer experience and communication.

Cons: lack of "pay as you go option", lack of free access to CFD tutorial license option to get proficient in the software to reduce price of use, such payment solution pushes away people who don't have regular customer base yet from SimScale to CalculiX, OpenFOAM, Salome platform. For the price of the training and 1 year access I did OpenFoam training with accommodation in Italy. OpenFOAM itself doesn't cost a bit!

I recommend:
- introducing pay as you go option,
-allowing other simulations for free with limited amount of nodes/elements to learn the interface
-reduce the price for training

Generally very good idea!

Regards,
Arek

Response from SimScale

Dear Arek, since your feedback in 2015, we changed a few aspects. We hope you will be happy to find out that:

- The free Community plan was introduced, which gives access to all simulation features for public projects at no cost

- The price for SimScale Professional Training was reduced from 1500 EUR to 500 EUR: https://www.simscale.com/professional-training/

- more than 25 workshop series and webinars recordings were published for free on the SimScale website: https://www.simscale.com/learning/webinars/

- on the Tutorials page you can find 40 step-by-step simulation tutorials that can help you learn SimScale for free: https://www.simscale.com/step-by-step-tutorials/

Florian W.
Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

CAE without the capital investment

Reviewed on 2019/05/24

Interesting project that keeps evolving all the time. The customer service is extremely good and personal. From onboarding to troubleshooting.

Pros

It fits an agile workflow very well, without blocking a workstation (which is not needed, any laptop will do) and no overhead of maintains your own cluster.
The tools tend to be a bit slower then proprietary solutions but the messaging workflow is nice.
Connection to Onshape cloud cad is a big plus.

Cons

Some features change their functionality and or disappear for a while. They are brought back later and better, but it hinders the workflow.

Eva S.

Really cool simulation platform!

Reviewed on 2017/03/11

Hello,
I'm a student and I am part of the Formula Student. Therefor I wanted to learn Simscale after I participated in the FSG Workshop for Aerodynamics which was taught by Simscale. I think it is really practicable that it works cloud based. Therefor the simulations run through much faster and you can decide about the cores without having your CPU getting killed. :D
I think the workshops are awesome you can learn really fast. You get immediately support if you have an error with your simulation or some ideas to gain a solution for a specific technical problem. The project sharing function makes it easy to communicate with other Simscale Users so that they may help you if you have issues. I also like the different kinds of simulations they're offering. There's e.g. the CFD sector with compressible, multiphase and lots and lots of features.
The only sad thing is that it is not easy to handle for new customers or students. But with the workshops you may learn it if you want to so they give much effort to it to make it handsome and I think they do a great job. If you guys would improve the simulation program by making it easier to understand and handle it without converting everything in STL ASCII and maybe improve the CAD-handling in the program then it would be easier for students and for new users too and then I'll give 5 stars for ease of use too. The workshops are fine. :)

Erika B.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Easy to use, browser-based software with excellent customer support

Reviewed on 2017/09/05

Great training and customer support, easy to use interface that didn't require linux knowledge or other specialized knowledge. Ability to run models from any browser without the need for complex computing.

Pros

The user interface for this software, coupled with fantastic customer support and training, make it very easy to jump in and start using it to model complex scenarios from day one. The cloud-based computing means that I didn't need to dedicate an expensive computer to CFD modeling, and could run multiple simulations at once while still operating my main computer.

Cons

I've used the software primarily for CFD, and there have been a few pieces of openFOAM functionality (which is simscale's CFD backend) that haven't yet been migrated into simscale, so flexibility in modeling is slightly reduced from openFOAM. However, this is greatly made up for by the ease of use of the software and community experience.

Daniela L.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Great software with great customer support

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/08/23

Great experience would definitely recommend for anyone that wants/has to design and simulate a product or objec. As a engineering student I feel this is a great software to learn and increase knowledge in design and materials.

Pros

SimScale is a great package, I personally used it as an educational resourse for the biomedical industry and I absolutely loved it. It has a whole set of functions and tools that allows you to design, pre-process, and post-process. It also contains the geometry, mesh and simulation tabs that make this software incredible realiable.
The webinars SimScale offers are really helpful and allows you to learn more about te software and opens the options of use in many industries.
The staff are always very helpful and willing to explain and help in any topic.

Cons

Even though it is a great software and has all the main tools and functions, it still lacks a few features that are highly used in some industries.

Lee L.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Great 3D modeling

Reviewed on 2019/07/26

Pros

Easy to use, and great support. Had an issue and support was able to resolve the problem.

Cons

Could be cheaper, but works well and does what it is supposed to do.

Ermo T.

Short introduction to test some simple metal constructions

Reviewed on 2015/10/09

I encountered some problems regarding model creation during process. Problem is that I tried to repeat tutorial described process, so failed on a half way and was not able to repeat this on my own models. So excellent idea, fantastic solution but complex enough not to hit it on first time and some minor questions regarding repeating the lessons. Sorry I have not found time to get in deeper, but please continue to develop this solution. :)

Response from SimScale

Dear Ermo, thank you for taking the time to review our product! In the meantime, we added more than 10 workshop series and 15 webinar recordings that might be better for you to get used to simulating with SimScale. The industries and applications for which they were organized are very diverse, from Automotive and Aerospace to Thermal and Cooling cases. Please take a look here: https://www.simscale.com/learning/webinars/
and here:

Amritpal S.

Advertisement technique isn't upto the mark and simscale should collaborate with cloud based cad

Reviewed on 2016/10/11

As you know that your simscale platform is a great platform performing simulation on cloud and if you will perform a serve there are many regions on earth where internet speed is really great but In that region people buy moderate laptops and those can't perform simulation on 2 to 4 core laptops even though colleges have also low core configuration computers however if they use your platform with integration cloud based cad software and I believe if you take one step ahead with two advancements in your simscale ,first Collaborate your simscale with cloud based cad software and Second Spend more money on advertisement specially in colleges & schools. I realized it in my NORTH region of PUNJAB (INDIA) what I have written above. However if you give me official rights to advertise your product in my region then I can prove that I am right and your product will get more attention. THANK YOU for giving me chance to ignite your simscale improvements with my words.

Pros

I like the most about this software is background computation in mesh and simulation.

Cons

It should integrate with cloud based cad

Response from SimScale

Thank you for your feedback, Amritpal. Do you know about our integration with the cloud-based CAD solution Onshape? I think you would be interested to give it a try: https://www.simscale.com/blog/2015/12/introducing-simscale-connector-app-for-onshape/

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Great simulations

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/12/14

Pros

Being a cloud-based tool makes it great because you can access your scenarios from anywhere plus it is really easy to interact with. Great customer service that helps you through a lot of issues

Cons

Sometimes it can get a little overloaded and slows the simulations down

Harald S.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

An excellent tool for mechanical analysis

Reviewed on 2017/09/15

Shorter development cycles, more capability in analysis mechanical components during the design stage.

Pros

It has a great user interface. Projects can be shared, version managed, and worked on collaboratively. It offers easy access to state of the art open source FEA analysis algorithms without all the hassle.

Cons

The 3D view could be smoother. It looks as if they are rendering it on a server, instead of having a true webGL interface. But that is only a minor issue.

Extremely user friendly

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/08/01

Pros

The software is highly user friendly whilst still being robust. It hides the clunky numbers involved with numerical analysis for new users whilst still providing the ability to change them for more experienced ones.

Cons

The software only supports fluid flow velocities of upto 0.5 Mach