Workplace by Facebook Reviews

Workplace by Facebook

A simple and secure way to connect your organization.

4.3/5 (480 reviews)
Volodymyr B.

Bizarro Facebook

Reviewed on 2018/10/08

What if Facebook was streamlined to essentials and free of excessive fat? That's Workplace.

For a long time Facebook was a leisure outlet on the workplace - the one for wasting time and getting lost in-between tasks. With Workplace the dynamics had flipped and now it is a legitimate productivity tool where you can chat with your colleagues, exchange ideas, drop some stuff and discuss serious matters without distracting yourself to everything else in your newsfeed.

Pros

Workplace combines the best features of Facebook, Slack and Basecamp and makes a case of a private social media application designed for productive communication and not time wasting.
It works really well as a company's general newsfeed and it allows to bond the collective in a more easy-going and informal manner.
On one hand, Workplace is a perfect working environment for human resources - streamlined, self-contained and direct. It really helps to establish solid internal Employer Branding and keep every member of the team on the same page. There are numerous features that allow various temperature checks of the teams via polls, discussions, etc. On the other hand, Workplace is a really good fit for onboarding of the new team members.

Cons

Since this is a Facebook product - there are certain concerns over privacy. When it comes to sharing some sensitive data - actions often proceed in a more trusted environments.
On the other hand, there is just too much of the stuff to do. The novelty of "Facebook but for work" wears off pretty fast and it makes Workplace more of a gimmick tool than an actual productivity tool.
As it often happen with Facebook newsfeed - it might get crowded and cluttered after a while, especially if the activity is relatively high. Aside from project related groups - it is often nothing more than a link dumpster.

Alvaro M.

No training needed... everybody knows Facebook!

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Facebook for the office (i.e., via Workplace) has helped our company in terms of community and culture building, communication, collaboration, keeping up to date with the happenings across different departments and teams, messaging via direct chat, group chat, audio, video calls... there's a ton of features that make this a really worth it investment for any company big or small.

Pros

Almost everyone (except the rather super senior employees) have been using Facebook social media app... They know how it works, its functionalities, and benefits for keeping in touch with the people that matter to them... now, we have exactly the same app.. for use in the office workplace. Therefore, no training needed. Everyone on-board right away.

Workplace replaced many of our internal apps (repositories, messaging, collaboration portal, etc). We now use workplace for community building, direct and group/project messaging, sharing of files, photos, and updates, audio and video calls, and live streaming of office events (which also serve as a recording device for late viewing).

Everything you love about social Facebook, now available for exclusive work and office use.

Cons

Data security is and will always be a concern for the modern digital man. Although we know that this is a paid service, hence the data is supposed to be private and secure because it is not meant to be used for ads, and what not... Security, especially of recent, is always a big question mark and concern.

Joseric M.

The Facebook app that is meant for work and productivity (not for wasting time)

Reviewed on 2018/08/10

Facebook as a social platform has matured a lot, with so many features available for communication and collaboration. It's no wonder why billions of people use it. Now, these same features are made available for our professional work. It's fantastic!

Pros

I used Workplace when I volunteered on a project c/o a non-for-profit organization. We used it primarily as a Project Management tool to keep everyone in the loop for project planning, collaboration, execution, monitoring, and getting instant feedback.

I have a personal Facebook account, and Workplace works in exactly the same way. We created Groups for our project teams. From there we could share files, make posts, create a common calendar, etc. What I loved the most is the use of the chat app for IM, voice and video calls. The live streaming is fantastic as well because we were able to cover our event, stream it live and keep a recording of it for future use.

Cons

For some of my teammates, they did not want the idea of having to maintain and look at two accounts (one personal/social and the other for work). Not sure if there is a way to connect the two accounts so that some of the posts/etc may be in sync.

The mobile app is a bit clunky and updates quite often. I hope they create a "Lite" version similar to the Facebook app (esp for lighter data consumption and light on the smartphone requirements).

Clarwin C.

Facebook for the office!

Reviewed on 2018/04/02

All the features of a personal Facebook account are now available for office use!

Communication - best for instant messaging, voice and video calls, even live-streaming of our events. Company-wide announcements are now easy to post and even track who's viewed each post. Notifications via email are also helpful to remind 'inactive' people to log-in to Workplace and keep updated via posts and their wall.

Collaboration - we can easily create groups as shared workspaces for project work.

Culture-building - since we used this app, we experienced an increase in employee engagement. People started sharing all kinds of stuff (mostly work related, but sometimes even non-work-related like outings, birthdays, etc).

Pros

Workplace is like a clone of Facebook. And since almost everyone in the office has a personal Facebook account, there is very little (to none) on-boarding needed to deploy this app into our entire organization.

We are a non-profit organization and so the best part of this is that Facebook offered this product to us Free of charge!

All the features of Facebook work great for office use (e.g., creating groups, instant messaging, video and calls, sharing pictures, videos and files)

Workplace also allows us to connect with external vendors who have Workplace in their companies. Works great for project implementations.

Cons

This is cloud-based and all data is stored on Facebook servers in the cloud. If you are wary of Data Privacy, just make sure to review the privacy notice, and terms of use.

Jenny M.

My company used Facebook Workplace for a bit before we switched over to Slack + Basecamp.

Reviewed on 2018/05/09

Pros

The Workplace features and functionalities are what I like best because they're more unique than other programs. I've used Slack which I've seen vastly improve company communication (in terms of speediness + efficiency) and company culture (due to GIFs and groups)... I've used Basecamp which has incredibly improved project management + clarity. Workplace, though, is specifically good for onboarding and training. I love the poll feature, too, and I haven't seen that used in other programs. However, the poll feature should be used for strictly non-emotional topics. I've used it to get my team to choose a preference in a date or a time or a food option. It shouldn't be used for diverse or political topics.

Run polls in Groups to get a quick pulse on company issues
Use Workplace Chat bots to make payroll, benefits or onboarding processes quicker and easier
Share Live Videos, webinars and articles for more efficient training
Connect new hires to the team (and each other) using Multi-Company Groups
Recognise employees quickly and easily in News Feed with a simple Reaction or even a GIF

Cons

I think because Workplace is a Facebook product companies are less likely to invest in it for company culture / communication due to Facebook's social media nature which doesn't scream 'productivity' to corporate higher-ups. Also, the data security issues happening right now al make companies trust Facebook less especially because Workplace is for business.

5.0/10
Leon C.

Useful and fun to use.

Reviewed on 2018/09/26

Workplace makes my everyday job feels more like an easy-going stress free experience. I think every company should try it out; it is a great way to get to know the people you work with, interact with them, and team up efficiently.

Pros

This is not the first social network focused on a Company's Business, but Facebook being behind Workplace surely makes it one of the highest grossing Enterprise-Driven Networks right now.

The Interface is friendly and as expected, quite similar to Facebook, for not saying identical. It has its obvious differences when it comes to certain features that are more adapted to a Professional environment.

The best description to the positive assets that I can give to Workplace is that it is a fun way to get to know the employees of the company you work for, you might find people with the same interests, share funny jokes, videos, photos, statuses, create and join groups, etc.

You can create events to invite your co-workers, or even schedule meetings and endeavors that are more related to your company’s main goals.

It is easy to use, and if you are a Facebook user you will feel at home.

Cons

Just like in Facebook, the main App and the Messenger are separate softwares.

Sometimes you might get overloaded by notification's mails on your inbox.

Depending on the company's size, some features might become confusing when working at a big Enterprise, such as having too many groups to choose from with similar goals/topics.

Great Directory Solution for a Global Company

Reviewed on 2019/07/08

Pros

Our company is global and comprised of a multitude of subsidiaries. Workplace has been instrumental in providing a directory for us where we can easily search colleagues using all different parameters like location, department, and subsidiary. It is also the only companywide medium that we have to convey important information like changes to company policies. We don't currently have an updated org chart so being able to see this on Workplace allows us to piece together who belongs to what team and how we can reach them.

I found that Workplace is very user-friendly as it operates a lot like Facebook which I also use daily. I love utilizing the groups feature as it has allowed me to find out about fun company events and connect with other employees that I may have not come across before. We also use Workplace to store important files that need to be accessed by all employees.

Cons

Not every employee will add their contact information which is frustrating when trying to get in touch with them. I would love to see this information be required in the future.

There was also a time when we had questions and weren't able to get in touch with our rep. However, this has since been rectified and I hope that the responsiveness will continue.

Emilia E.

My organization is now a community courtesy Workplace.

Reviewed on 2018/06/06

Pros

Workplace chat - Workplace Chat has a simple and familiar interface like what's obtainable with Facebook messenger. It enable me communicate with my colleagues with ease ,while making use of stickers ,emoji and gifs to spice up my conversations with my work peers. It also enable me to create polls, exchange video clips or share gps location with my team members ,when I am outside the office environment.

Groups - Workplace group is similar to Facebook groups , however this time , they serve as collaborative spaces where office tasks ,and projects get done. Workplace group makes it easy to share files in a secure environment , tag team members , get feedback and assign tasks.

Org chart - There are over 5000 users on my organizations Workplace. Therefore it can be an hideous task, having to search for team members working on a particular project or staffs in a particular department. Org Chart solves this problem by making it easy for me to quickly search up individual user profiles and team info. , therefore making me expend way less time trying to find out who to contact.

Cons

I have sometime lost track of what I needed to do ,and expended precious time reading official posts and trending gossips on Workplace.

Eliot D.

Connect and communicate with your corporate and business network effectively.

Reviewed on 2019/07/08

For me, the service offers an indispensable experience to improve communications, a tool to which I take great advantage because of its wide capacity of connection and direct messaging facility where I can share information, give opinions and also create surveys or vertical dialogs that are effective for teams of versatile and creative work.

Pros

Its functions improve internal communication in the company, promote productivity and deploy resources to manage the user community, its general aspects work in a timely and stable manner offering a very well qualified level of security, among its outstanding features I can highlight that the organization and structure of its interface is very friendly for any user favoring its use among the entire community of professionals who are part of the organization, it is very easy to share the important information quickly and to reach the work teams in a timely manner for facilitate corrections.

Cons

I have few criticisms regarding the service, it is possible to improve the performance of some of its management tools to strengthen the controls between teams and work groups and I think they should incorporate measurement tools and graphics so that the user can know how much he participates in the conversations and their usefulness in each group.

Joshua M.

Mixes the Social of Facebook and Collaboration of Modern Business Tools

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/04/11

Overall, I have really enjoyed Workplace as an office tool. The familiarity that Facebook provides for a collaboration tool is great. Furthermore, the ability to share and collaborate with co-workers is very easy. I have really enjoyed how easy it is to navigate to specific groups and projects in order to find documents that I need. Furthermore, the search feature is very effective for finding appropriate data fast. Overall, my experience with Workplace is great - and I look forward to seeing how the service evolves over the coming years.

Pros

My workplace is in the process of transitioning many employees over to Facebook Workplace. Personally, my favorite thing about the platform is the familiarity. The platform does a wonderful job of feeling just as familiar as the social media platform while also adapting to modern business needs. My company has attempted to integrate social productivity tools in the past and Workplace seems to have the largest adoption rate so far. Workplace is also a very collaborative tool. It leverages the user-friendly nature of the platform in order to make sharing and collaborating that much easier.

Cons

As a social tool, there is always the risk of falling trap to many of the trending stories. Furthermore, if one is subscribed to a lot of groups, notifications can become a bit difficult to follow for some users. Finally, I do wish that there was a way to link one's primary Facebook account to Workplace. It would help provide instant verification over job postings and could even tie-in with the linked-in type of service. While concerns over privacy may limit the interaction, it is a bit annoying to have two separate accounts for one service.

Dysiree R.

FREE VS PAID VERSION

Reviewed on 2019/05/26

Overall efficiency and productivity-wise​, comparing it with other platforms that we've used before, this one is my favorite so far.

Pros

The workplace is very easy to use and a variety of things you can do once you get the hang of it. You can make Group Chats with Group Page, or simple Group Chats without pages. It works very similar to​ Facebook, however, ​this one is more in a business approach where you can integrate apps and edit posts with​ the format you want. I personally prefer it compared to any other Platforms we've used before. customer service is responsive enough.

Cons

When you are using the free version a lot of things a restricted but that is just fair enough. However, in case your free trial ended and you have let go of some people prior before the trial ended, you can only remover their access or deactivate their accounts IF you are in a paid version. Another thing that I noticed is that you can only add people with the company email when you're using a free version otherwise you can use any email address when using the paid version.

Suri M.

Workplace Review

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

We have used Workplace for the past year and a half for all office communications. From having live town-hall meetings to polls, we use Workplace for everything. It has provided us with a wide audience, easier participation and better control over information communication. Use of Workplace chat is picking up and it is a great business tool to enhance collaboration, improve employee morale in addition to being easy to use for all employees.

Pros

For those that are used to Facebook (and that's most everybody) pivoting to Workplace for work purposes is a breeze. It takes a social media platform that everyone is used to and converts that to a work environment. This software has increased user participation and provides a great platform for company wide communication. The ability to set us individual pages for teams/groups or interests is really cool and has resulted in a wide variety of interest groups being formed, which is typically difficult to do outside of a social media platform, especially at work.

Cons

Though the software in itself does not have very many visible flaws, the amount of administrative effort required to filter and screen messages and groups in an organization as large as ours has taken more than we estimated.

Bukola S.

Improves the communication workflow in my organization.

Reviewed on 2018/05/06

Pros

It has a short learning curve as it is very similar with Facebook social network ,and has an almost identical user interface and functionality. It integrates efficiently with some of our regularly used third party solutions at work like Azure ,Bluejeans and Okta.

Cons

I dislike that I am only able to access Facebook workplace via a VPN at work ,and also I see very little difference between Facebook social network and Facebook workplace and honestly , Facebook social will easily replace this program in any organization. So I wonder why we have to pay to use Facebook workplace premium ,when we can access most of the features for free on Facebook social.

It's like facebook, only on a professional level

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

We use it at our agency every day. Facebook's problems seem to be Workplace's problems: when many people post per day, it's hard too see all status updates. So you become stuck with 2 endless feeds of posts from people. Otherwise, it's better than Slack in my book, for what I use it for - infrequent status updates.

Pros

- Easy to get started: If you use/love Facebook, you'll use/love this.
- Lots of privacy features: You can follow people, not use a picture, only join certain groups - feels more private than regular Facebook.
- Feels snappier: I don't know if it's because we only use it for about 40 people, but the overall desktop experience feels faster than Facebook, which is a plus in my book.

Cons

- Endless feed of updates from colleagues, same as with regular facebook.
- A lot of features from regular Facebook aren't present in Workplace - yet.
- Groups can be addictive to join, but also hard to manage.

Great Tool for Collaboration and Communication

Reviewed on 2018/02/19

It's a great improvement from our old chat software. With our old software, you could only message coworkers who were online. Therefore, someone could be in the office but because they aren't signed into the software they won't get your message. Workplace is great because you can message anyone you need to regardless of their online status. In addition, there's a desktop chat app that you can download so you can make sure you're always receiving any messages coworkers send you without having to log into the website.

Pros

Workplace is essentially the same setup as Facebook. The benefit to this is that since most people already have their own personal Facebook accounts, there isn't much of a learning curve when implementing this software at work. The chat is also a great feature because you an instantly private message a coworker or start a group chat with people you're working on a project with. Lastly, I like the ability to create groups because then you can share certain documents or articles with specified groups of colleagues.

Cons

One of the biggest issues with this software is that a lot of older coworkers refuse to use it since they don't have their own personal Facebook accounts and therefore don't know how to use the program. As a result, workplace by facebook is also helpful if other coworkers are willing to adopt the software. Secondly, while workplace can help with productivity it can also hurt it. If you don't monitor what content or photos people are posting people can quickly turn it into regular Facebook making the software a time sink and a site workers will visit for distractions.

Business-centric Social Network

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Pros

It's nice that the interface closely mirrors that of Facebook. I think that makes it easier to navigate for the majority of users. It's also a convenient way for employees to solicit advice or materials from their coworkers. The chat feature can be a very productive way to communicate informally when the discussion requires more back-and-forth than a simple email.

Cons

I have two knocks on Workplace, and only one relates directly to the social network itself.

1. Like Facebook, you need a secondary app to use the chat feature on mobile. That feels a little unnecessary to me.

2. Some users have trouble gauging when a mass email might be more appropriate. I think Workplace is a great place to exchange best practices and tips...but it's not the ideal place to share essential, "can't miss it" information. In those cases, information needs to be disseminated directly to the involved parties via email, otherwise it could be lost in the shuffle.

6.0/10
David G.

Official Social App for work

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

All the useful features of the Facebook is now made useful and productive in the Office.

Pros

Facebook has been experimentally banned in our office (for productivity and security issues). It's a pity because we've gone accustomed to using it as a medium for instant communication and messaging. But, the features we loved and were using are now made available to us via Workplace.

It's basically the very same Facebook app, but meant for work use, i.e., Your contacts are limited to your workmates. Another plus is that other companies who have workplace, like the vendors we work with, can be added as a contact for better project work and coordination.

Most helpful for our project work is the Workplace feed or Wall to keep us up to speed with any posts or updates. Then, we can create teams per project to limit the access and visibility only to the right staff. Plus the instant messaging, voice, and video calls are a big help. Lastly, we can even do a live session streaming and afterwards, a recording is kept on our archives.

Oh, btw, there are no ads popping up or on the side bars. This is a paid service so ther you go.

Cons

Security? So far, no issues with this, but the history of Facebook (the social app) has had some flaws and hacks of recent years which can sometimes make you think, is my data safe here? For a paid service, and so far no major glitches, I believe all is fine.

Marimay A.

Very Useful

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

What we got here, is a software that not only useful in our business but also worth a try. The software allows us to monitor the quality of service we give to our clients. Thus making us more valuable not only to them but also to our line of business. Giving us opportunity to give feedback and at the same time review the points which we missed to focus on. Also allows us to communicate outside the workplace or office.

Pros

Use for our team collaboration. We are using this software as a fraud agent, we have the access to use this for verification of some accounts. Normally we use this for updates on what's going on with the team service level, specially outside office where we need to work at home very useful.

Cons

No Least for this, I Would rather suggest that, to those who haven't tried it, this is really a must try software.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's nice!

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/12/08
Review Source

Pros

I'm so used to the constant blaring of regular Facebook that a quiet, professional Facebook is very odd. My publishing house set up a Workplace for us to have a private area to post our beta reading items, discuss upcoming anthologies, and things of that nature. It's easy to use because it is basically a private Facebook, but there are still some features missing- which is honestly a good thing. It's built for business networks and geared towards work collaborations, and you can tell when you log on and see the pared down system. It cuts the chatter, ads, distractions, and frankly... messiness down to zilch. It's definitely growing on me.

Cons

So far I haven't really found any, as I haven't used it enough yet. However, our publisher says that the free version is pretty limited admin-wise, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would a business have a network that they couldn't admin, especially with other networks out there that enable private business networks in the same vein that allow adminning your own team? Just seems a bit odd, is all. From a user standpoint, it looks great and smooth. From the admin standpoint, it seems there's a bit to be desired still.

6.0/10

Best Workplace Tool

Reviewed on 2019/01/23

Pros

Wow, no words for this product, easy to use, can be accessed easily with single sign on,Can have own teams/communities, can upload documents easily, can share post, cam create new post, can easily get day to day activities of an organization in one single place, can share all event information. Best way to go Digital - using @Workplace we can organize quiz, create presentations and can track attendee records and many things just so easily. can restrict contents of any group using privacy. Can share photos , can tag any other peers. it will refresh contents automatically and publish all latest info . Best best tool and can be accessed using mobile/pc etc. Worth time and money

Cons

rarely this happens but just after loading few posts automatically it gives error no more data otherwise there is nothing that to dislike about this software.

A modern tool for internal communication and transparency.

Reviewed on 2018/07/24
Review Source

Pros

Very easy to use UI and short learning curve for employees (since it's built the same way Facebook was built). I often describe it to others as 'Facebook, without all the ads'. Its sole focus is on group functionality so it's great for cross-team collaboration and knowledge sharing.

We use the Live video functionality often which is great for global participation and alignment.

Cons

Notifications can sometimes get lost if you're subscribed to a lot of groups. A weekly digest of things you were mentioned or tagged in, would be helpful.

The chat system isn't very modern and lacks integrations so we use an external software (Slack) for internal chat communication and workflow.

Bienvenido G.

Facebook workplace simplifies communication and collaboration

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

Workplace by Facebook makes a better medium to communicate effectively and accurately through chat whether individual or group, clear video and audio calls and most importantly I can easily share files.

Pros

Every netizen knows how to operate and use facebook so there is no issue on how to manipulate and operate facebook workplace. In the nature of our work as caregivers, it is very important that there is a constant communication from different departments and facebook workplace really simplifies the video chats, group communications, video and audio calls and file sharing and many other useful features. Facebook workplace is perfectly designed to keep employees' companies more productive and stay focused on accurate information.

Cons

In any software product especially if it is online, data privacy and security are the utmost issue that should be addressed. Facebook workplace is almost a perfect communication software, but Facebook should clearly address on the importance of data or information secured at all times.

Simply Amazing

Reviewed on 2018/05/30

We use Workplace in my organization to connect every of my organizations staff in every location ,team and department. It is handy for project collaborations and provides me with multiple ways to communicate with my team members from chatting , video calls ,audio calls ,group comments etc It

Pros

With workplace i created a network of work with my colleagues and we kept in touch with each other, this has greatly improved our team work and our professional performance and super easy to communicate/coordinate projects with coworkers. I love you can create groups of just certain people. Creating events is also great for when you have meetings, etc.

Cons

As of this time that I am using Workplace, I really do not see a thing that I do not like or need. All features are useful to our institution. It has become an aggregator to projects, project management tools are quite lacking in the application

Matt S.

Professional social network to collaborate in each project.

Reviewed on 2019/03/15

Its evaluation is pleasant and positive, its incorporation in any organization improves the quality of the corporate communication and narrows the relations of collaboration between the work teams.

Pros

As an organizational collaboration platform, it has great capabilities within the organization, its social network structure allows to efficiently integrate the members and colleagues of the organization with an incredible ease, its functionality is very broad and in general terms it performs very well in the service offered, I like to improve direct communication and to create org charts and groups.

Cons

Is structured under a somewhat rigid method that sometimes makes the need for a greater customization experience within the platform, costs more than expected to implement security controls within the internal network of the organization.

Josemaria G.

No training needed!

Reviewed on 2018/06/29

Facebook features for connecting people is now a platform available for our office. We use this to communicate (internal comms as well as inter-company to vendors who use Workplace), and we also use this to build a strong collaborative culture within our company. Everybody knows how to use FB, so no/to minimal training needed for deployment.

Pros

(Almost) everyone uses Facebook for personal/social functions... Why not use it for the office?

Imagine everything you do in FB (messaging, sharing files and photos, voice and video calling, groups, etc) can now be done within an almost exact copy but limited to official/office function! Best for culture building for any company, as well as inter-company communications.

Cons

Data privacy is still a question mark... although, there are no ads here, I don't think FB will be using our data for other channels of revenue...