Salsa CRM

Cloud-based donor management & engagement software

Alyssa

Easy to use, quick and reliable reports, constantly adding elements to make the experience...

Reviewed on 2017/06/13

Tracking donors easily, easily sending out communication.

Tracking donors easily, easily sending out communication.

Pros

What I like most about Salsa Labs is the ease of use. Although as the administrator I am in the database daily, everyone on my team can easily find what they need and update donor profiles, and find out information about donors. The robust queries is also huge for me. The fact that I can easily segment out multiple layers of donors makes my job much easier. So far there has not been an output that I am looking for that I can not get through Salsa queries. The integrated emails and unlimited donation pages are also wonderful and have reduced the number of platforms we have to use.

Cons

I do wish there was a little bit more integration between the CRM and the Engage side of the systems. Currently if I send out an email blast it does not add a note or activity to the donor's profile on the CRM side saying this was sent. Currently I have to add them to a group and then add a note to their profile. There are a couple of other little items that are more wish list items rather than items I have to have in a CRM. Also, the customer support, although they are always helpful, it is sometimes hard to get ahold of them. Emails usually take a good 3-7 days to answer (sometimes mores) and if I call I am on hold for a good 15-30 min sometimes. It is nice that I can call anytime, but frustrating that it can take awhile to get ahold of anyone.

Derek
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Salsa is the best software for the money

Reviewed on 2017/11/03

Ilona and Andrew on were great at walking us through the process. It is always cumbersome when starting a new CRM solution, but between them and Joe, our onboarding specialist, the people at Salsa were great. We're still getting use to all the available tools, but have found great benefit in everything so far!

Pros

Lots of tools (Email, Events, P2P, Social Media, etc.) Great options for communicating to donors and receiving donations. A lot of customization for marketing and accounting.

Cons

Merging the two solutions (Engage and the CRM) has proven clunky, but the team is committed to fixing any issues.

Response from Bonterra

Thanks for your review, Derek. Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage have a built-in two-way integration that syncs all standard and custom fields between the two, pushes online supporter activity data into Salsa CRM and enables you to build groups in Salsa CRM and push them to Salsa Engage for online engagement. Also, be sure to check out Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that will help you learn all the ins and outs and maximize the software. Specifically, there is a course on the Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage integration. Let us know if you're still having trouble and we can help you sort it out!

Ellen

Terrible response

Reviewed on 2021/04/26

This has been a nightmare, time consuming work arounds.

This has been a nightmare, time consuming work arounds.

Pros

The Engage portion is ok, email integration, but still doesn't push info into CRM, or CRM does not push to Engage.

Cons

The CRM does not work for Canadian organisations with regard to receipting - big fail! It also doesn't automatically process direct debit donations, big fail! TERRIBLE response from support team. Reports are flawed, have holes, there are more workarounds to make sure that the right things are included and excluded.

Reasons for Choosing Salsa CRM

Looking for email integration, but this is the worst solution ever.

Reasons for Switching to Salsa CRM

The email integration looked good to the team, but they neglected to consider any other practical concerns for managing donor data.

Response from Bonterra

We are so sorry that your experience with Salsa has not been better. I know that members of our client success team have reached out to you to help you address your concerns. I hope that we have been able to resolve issues around the CRM and Engage integration and other items. Please reach back out to our support team or client success team any time.

Kate

Overall, love salsa

Reviewed on 2020/03/06

Pleasing

Pleasing

Pros

The customer support is excellent. It is fairly easy to learn and use.

Cons

Engage

There are some inconsistencies with email set up. I HATE the way the email series set ups are, the scheduling is horrible, it should just use a calendar like a regular blast.

When exporting any report from engage id like some options for what I info is included in report.

Response from Bonterra

Kate,

Thank you so much for your review. We hope Kansans for Life will continue to find success with Salsa.

Please feel free to reach out to our support team with any questions regarding email series & any other concerns, they would be happy to assist you!

Kemberlee

Great for small organizations

Reviewed on 2021/05/11

Excellent customers service, resources, communication, and ease of use.

Excellent customers service, resources, communication, and ease of use.

Pros

I love the dashboard features that give you a quick glance across the board, ease of targeting list members, and the new event functions. Running our events through Salsa has made a huge fundraising difference for us.

Cons

I realize these are small things, but for our organization, would be tremendously helpful -- the ability to embed RSS feeds and videos into email would make this an ideal tool.

Response from Bonterra

Kemberlee,

It's awesome that even with a smaller team, you are able to utilize all these features in Salsa. I hope we continue to be a great resource for your (hopefully in-person) events in the future!

We also appreciate the feedback on embedded RSS feeds being a feature that your organization could benefit from.

David
David

Support and resolution of simple problem a disaster

Reviewed on 2021/11/21

Salsa Labs is providing the web services for donations for Wreaths Across America - Houston. This organization provides a live Maine wreath at the graves in the Houston National Cemetery at Christmas, and a portion of the money raised by non-profits is retained by those groups. SInce 15 October my Kiwanis club has asked Salsa Labs to resolve problems of login, logins which revert to the program last year, logins which say we have no fundraiser to manage, etc. Over one MONTH later there is absolutely no resolution and soon we will have no more time left to raise funds for this very worthwhile project. Sadly because of inaction by Salsa many of the graves in the cemetery of our military heroes will have no wreath.

Salsa Labs has been totally irresponsible on this project and I can only hope at this point they offer some restitution to the Wreaths organization. I personally would not recommend Salsa Labs for anything.

Pros

When it worked it was ok and notified users of donations.

Cons

Can't log in and manage current year. No resolution of simple login problems.

Elizabeth

i have grown from a salsa no nothing to semi master because of quality salsa support

Reviewed on 2017/11/02

great folks work there and are available to you

great folks work there and are available to you

Pros

the huge body of information that can be stored; the tech help that is available with a simple phone call

Cons

learning curve can be difficult to get through. the page face is overwhelming (why all of the brown space?)

Response from Bonterra

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your review and for being a longtime customer. Wanted to make you aware of Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that has really shortened the learning curve for Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage users. Also, the new browser interface of Salsa CRM is much improved from the desktop interface you may have used in years past. More interface and dashboard improvements are in the works right now! If you haven't requested access to Salsa Scholars yet, you can do so by emailing [email protected].

Ken

Importing data went very smoothly with the help of Salsa Lab personnel. Not a single glitch.

Reviewed on 2017/12/12

Accuracy of information. Able to research donors to determine how often they give, amount of gift, etc. Most important support from Salsa staff.

Pros

Salsa is much better than our previous experience with another vendor who will remain un-named. Generating reports is easy and the database is easy to work with.

Most important to us is the support provided by Salsa. I am able to reach them during business hours and they spend the time needed to solve any issues. They are clearly customer oriented. Many others I researched charged extra for this level of service. With Salsa it is included.

Cons

Does not link to other email providers. It would be nice to be able to use Constant Contact or another email provider and have it link directly to the program. Engage is nice, but is some cases not as easy to use as are the other email service providers.

Having said that we are very satisfied with our use of Salsa overall and have no plans to go looking for anyone else.

Erin

Great product and excellent support team

Reviewed on 2016/09/22

Pros

Salsa CRM is user friendly and easy to learn. After using similar products this one is the best I have seen and so is their support team! The team goes above and beyond when training and that great service even extends even after training is complete. I always recognize familiar names and voices when I call/email with questions. The also offer online help and training videos so you can stay up-to-date on new functions that may benefit your organization. Salsa CRM offers a fantastic product and the support to meet your needs. They communicate with their customers well and are always updating information for the customers and asking for feedback to make the experience better.

Cons

There is no one thing I would change. If there is something I think may have an idea or have a suggestion, I can submit to Salsa CRM. They always respond to customer feedback and review to see if in is something that can/should be implemented.

Great features

Reviewed on 2017/06/05

Our experience with salsa has been great overall! The biggest challenge was the transition process. We were moving from google drive and several other platforms for ticket sales, emails, etc. so we didn't have any experience with this. It eventually all worked out and the Salsa team really stepped up to accommodate our needs.

Pros

Salsa is constantly updating the system which really helps nonprofits stay current in the technical trends also helping us make the best use of our time and funds.

Cons

There are a few glitches from time to time, as there is with any technical updates. They work to fix them quickly and the customer support staff is very helpful!

Justin

It just doesn't work as it is advertised

Reviewed on 2017/03/04

We have been a Donor Pro client for years and were excited about the merger and possibilities with Salsa. However, we felt a bit neglected as a previous client, slipping through the cracks of the transition and experiencing a number of problems because of this. The overall functionality of the product has been cumbersome, making it feel like they launched the merger before ironing out really important issues. Customer service is generally good with very kind people. At first, the response time was great 1-2 days, however, we now end up facing at times 3-4 weeks on some tickets. But, I got tired of calling for an update on an issue, having the person try to fix it on the phone even though they land in the same place as the previous person...I can't figure this out, I need to send it to the developers or update the ticket. In general, I just spent way too much time trying to find answers, solutions, and we are a small organization that cannot afford it. They have updated their website in a way that gets you really excited about the product. It looks great and probably is for a new organization just starting out! But, it just hasn't been a great experience for us. Functionality was up and down. And, as an organization in transition, both with software tools and looking to grow and expand, we thought this would be a helpful tool. It hasn't met our expectations yet, and holding our breath a bit longer to see if things improve.

Pros

The integration is nice when it is working to its full capacity.

Cons

Too many glitches, issues with functionality. Things are not as streamlined as they seem to be advertised. A lot of challenges and issues for our team.

Response from Bonterra

Hi Justin - We are sorry that you experienced disruption of service as we merged DonorPro and Salsa. Now that our teams are fully integrated, we hope that you've found Customer Support much improved. Our Director of Customer Support will reach out to you directly to confirm. Also, please visit our Salsa Support Center where you'll find a searchable knowledge base. You also have access to Salsa Scholars, our new e-learning system. Here you'll find self-paced interactive courses for Salsa Engage, Salsa CRM and the integration which has been recently enhanced based on user feedback. If you haven't been through Salsa Smart Start Fundraising, we encourage you to sign up. It's free for all Salsa clients and provides you with a fundraising expert and access to best practices. Call us or send us an email for assistance with accessing the tools mentioned here.

Emily

So SO glad we're leaving Salsa

Reviewed on 2023/03/24

This company only informed us they were sunsetting in December when I called in February to dispute a bill. And they let me know that, by the way, my contract with them ends in April. If I needed access to my database until December, they could do that for a 30% upcharge per month.I hate this company and I am so glad we're done with them.

Pros

The platform is robust and had endless data export possibilities...

Cons

We hated the batch donation interface, the user experience, the customer service, the complexity of the platform, and that it did not integrate well with Salsa Engage, the email marketing/payment page builder tool from the same provider. Nightmare product.

Amanda
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Fantastic customer service for a beneficial product

Reviewed on 2017/11/02

Pros

*Helpful and responsive customer service - Clay is wonderful!
*Reporting provides fantastic and detailed snapshot

Cons

*Need training to understand how to use product; Not extremely user-friendly initially
*Rather dull display

Response from Bonterra

Amanda, thanks for your review and for being a longtime customer. Wanted to make you aware of Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that has really shortened the learning curve for Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage users. Also, the new browser interface of Salsa CRM is much improved from the desktop interface you may have used in years past. More interface and dashboard improvements are in the works right now! If you haven't requested access to Salsa Scholars yet, you can do so by emailing [email protected].

Jennifer

Converted to DonorPro in 2014.

Reviewed on 2016/08/24

Pros

I like the event module. It makes keeping track of quests pretty easy without needing to also track in an Excel file.

It is easy to get your query results into Excel.

Cons

I find that many things in Donor Pro are hidden or just not intuitive. There is not a lot of help once you get past the basic training. Here is a direct quote from Tech Support: "I encourage you to experiment with this tool. It is a little "hidden," so I am not surprised that you were not aware of it."

I am disappointed that many query fields are only available with certain queries (donation versus constituent), so if you are looking for two different pieces of information, you need to run a query, save your results, and then run another query just to get basic information.

I am also frustrated that there is no "key" to decode query fields. There is no way to know the difference between First Gift and First Gift Ever if you don't ask. I have also found fields in canned reports that have no explanation of what they are pulling.

Lisa

Overall Salsa CRM is a good system.

Reviewed on 2017/11/08

Feel they could use more support. Though their support team is always friendly and helpful, don't always receive answers in a timely manner. A lot of back and fourth with email when picking up the phone would be faster and easier.

Pros

For the most part Salsa CRM is user friendly, the cost is reasonably priced and works well for our foundation.

Cons

Some features were misleading, did not offer certain things needed for our foundation. Always room for improvement.s

Response from Bonterra

Lisa, our apologies for not being more clear. Please give us a call and we'll work to find the proper solutions you need for your foundation. Thanks for your feedback.

Sarah
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Salsa CRM

Reviewed on 2016/11/22

At first the CRM program is over whelming if you are not familiar with a CRM program. There are very good aspects to the program as well as a few downfalls (most of which can be solved by research).

Pros

I appreciate these features: donor cultivation, tasks, custom fields, finance summery options (batches etc), custom appeals and campaigns. The custom campaigns and appeals are perfect for businesses that have multiple and/or ongoing events.

Cons

The Salsa Labs Email product needs some serious updates. Such as E-Mail themes and easy to use forms. The forms are prehistoric compared to other email marketing products (such as constant contacts).
Because of the merge of Donor Pro and Salsa, I have to manage three separate accounts (including merchant services) which can take a lot of my time.
The help site offers some good training videos but does not always cover the specific questions or topics that I need. This requires more time watching videos in hope that I get my answers.
I have usually okay customer service but often get referred to a manager to get my answers.
There needs to be more customization properties to the event form to tailor to certain events (individuals vs. teams) and integrating payments according to the sign-up forms.

Jodie

Salsa CRM Experience

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

I have been using Salsa (formerly DonorPro) for about 2 years. The system is easy to use and allows us to segment donors, easily pull reports and capture essential information to complete donor profiles. We also use the Event Management module - while a little cumbersome at first, this module allows us to extract the data in a more efficient manner when soliciting and prospecting for future events.

Pros

Ease of use. You can select the modules you wish to use - we don't need them all. I like the fact that Constant Contact is connected - less data entry errors when capturing info. Support services are good.

Cons

Running queries - this aspect is not intuitive to me. I often find myself asking colleagues or the help desk for assistance.

Shauna

Great experience, Salsa gave us the tools we needed to manage our donors.

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

Pros

With Salsa we were able to compile the information that lived on spreadsheets into one database that is very functional. The ability to look at the history of our donors and to pull reports has enabled us to make better decisions. We were able to implement a major gifts program after purchasing the software.

Cons

It took a few tries to figure out the word processor, but it was worth the effort. The individual letter editing saved lots of time.

Ben

Great online fundraising platform

Reviewed on 2017/04/13

We moved from simply accepting paypal payments 4 years ago to Givezooks. Salsa's acquisition and implementation of givezooks into their CRM gives us exactly what we need for our small 501 without paying for a lot we don't.

Pros

How easy it is to create annual campaign and new grassroots fundraising pages.

Cons

I wish my team members could reset their prior year pages without creating new ones, and i could just re-link them to the new annual campaign

Adrienne

Business Manager

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

Great training and very friendly customer service. It was very easy to make our transition from our old CRM system to the new system. We love that Salsa CRM is affordable and it meets our needs.

Pros

Quick system, easy to navigate, affordable, great training materials, syncs with Constant Contact

Cons

I wish that we could upload contacts and donations from an excel spreadsheet into the system.

Chrsitine
  • Industry: Environmental Services

We like Salsa CRM

Reviewed on 2017/11/03

The Salsa CRM support staff is great - we are very happy with them.

The Salsa CRM support staff is great - we are very happy with them.

Pros

There is a lot of functionality. We seem to be able to do a lot of different things with it. It seems to integrate well with our other platforms.

Cons

It's a little complicated. Short training was sufficient to get us going but I think in order to use it in a more in-depth way, we would need more time on training.

Response from Bonterra

Christine, thanks for your review. Be sure to check out Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that will help you learn all the ins and outs and maximize the software. If you haven't requested access to Salsa Scholars yet, you can do so by emailing [email protected].

Sr. Jeanne
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Started with no experience of Donor Pro, got some lessons, and much, much assistance from the...

Reviewed on 2017/11/06

Is it possible to choose programs rather than the whole setup?

Is it possible to choose programs rather than the whole setup?

Pros

I like the things I can do - like go into a file and have a wealth of info. Again, the Help Desk -- that I like best..

Cons

That there are many, many things on it that we do not need or use. If we could just have our needs, it would probably be more cost efficient.

Kalyn

Combine several softwares with this one solution

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

Pros

Salsa CRM consolidated our record keeping into one online platform. We can now do event management, donation tracking, donor communications and so much more with this one solution. Since it is a new merger, it is extremely affordable for all of the functionality.

Cons

The transition to the new software was a bit rocky but we were transferring information from several other platforms.

Jessica
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Better than we had, but funtionality, training and best practices not nearly robust enough.

Reviewed on 2017/06/28

Pros

Ease of use, reports robust, ability to ask donor to cover fees, custom fields in various areas to cover what the database doesn't.

Cons

Cost per person instead of range, no user forum or place to add suggestions for improvment in an easy and transparent way, password functionality misfunctions, would like to see Salsa Engage more user friendly like Constant Contact in terms of creating a newsletter or fundraising page from template, linking membership to gifts, no automatic save function, or reminder to save;

Response from Bonterra

Hi Jessica - Thanks for your review. Salsa does have tools to help with best practices and training. Salsa Smart Start Fundraising is our best practice program where you'll work with a fundraising expert to create an email welcome series for new supporters, an e-newsletter, online giving forms and solicitation emails. Salsa Scholars is our e-learning platform which provides users with easy hands-on interactive training for Salsa Engage and Salsa CRM. Salsa Scholars is self-paced and includes certifications. We welcome feedback from our clients and we do incorporate client suggested enhancements into our new releases. You can send suggestions for enhancements to Customer Support or submit through our Salsa Support Center. We are incorporating templates for emails, e-newsletters and online forms which will be available in our next release (end of July 2017). We will reach out to you to make sure you know how to access the tools mentioned here.

Heather
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Clay was extremely helpful and went above and beyond my expectations.

Reviewed on 2017/11/09

Pros

Variety of uses, easy to use basic functions, wonderful experiences with customer service, essential to my job everyday

Cons

Not knowing all the ways to use it, challenging to produce reports that require multiple steps, difficult because I do not know a lot about the program or Excel

Response from Bonterra

Hi Heather, don't forget to check out Salsa Scholars. The eLearning platform contains a series of interactive courses so you can learn and practice how to produce more complex, custom reports. If you haven't requested access to Salsa Scholars yet, you can do so by emailing [email protected].