Salsa CRM Reviews

Salsa CRM

Cloud-based donor management & engagement software

4.2/5 (213 reviews)
Ricci L.

SALSA is THE best!

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

I’ve been with SALSA now for several years. In the beginning I kept trying to make it Network for Good - which I left because they were so non-responsive, but they do have good interfaces and options, and their donation processing is a breeze. But the reality is, that I left NFG because I couldn’t get what I wanted. From my first day with SALSA, though, the team behind the product stood out and they jumped through hoops and turned somersaults to make me happy and get me the training I needed. I even got a call from the President of the company to talk about what I was experiencing and to make sure I was getting what I needed. I can’t imagine any other company with a “the customer comes first” culture that reaches all the way to the top.

No matter what I come up with that I want to do, I find that there’s a way to do it in SALSA (except around the donations!). I would recommend this product to anyone and everyone without reservations!

Pros

Since 2003 we have purchased, leased, been granted and explored too many databases to count. Until we finally found our home with SALSA. The team is constantly upgrading and adding features, the customer support is absolutely unparalleled, and their dedication to the end-user is obvious in the features they have and those that they've added over the years we've been with them.

Every software CRM has issues. One of the things that sets SALSA apart from all of the others is their customer service team. They go the extra mile and then they just keep going even further to work with you, fix any issue you're having, suggest new features to the development team based on your needs....they are just the absolute best.

Cons

I'm not as fond of their donation processing partner. For example, if a donor wants to increase their giving amount you have to cancel their old donation and they have to go in and create a whole new donation.

Some of their training material leaves a lot out, but the responsiveness of their support team more than makes up for that.

Sarah M.

Salsa gets it done, but only if you have the staff to make it work

Reviewed on 2016/11/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

My team used Salsa for a 1-year campaign to raise money to build a home in Nepal for trafficking victims. We successfully raised $467,000 in 10 months! Hands down, we COULD NOT have done it without Salsa. Because it had everything in one (emails, analytics, segmenting, Peer 2 Peer campaigns, donation pages, event pages, and much more) it was much easier to keep track of everything we needed to keep track of.

Pros

*I didn't realize it at the time, but I really like how easily I could create queries/segments of donors. It has a "If/Then" approach with clicks of a button that is a lot easier than another CRM I use (eTapestry by Blackbaud).
*Their email system worked well for our purposes. We had templates that we used throughout the campaign that looked good and were easy to fill in our information. It sent the emails we told it to send without a problem.
*The event feature was helpful. We had lots of people sign up on the events page that was relatively easy to create.
*I definitely like like analytics features. (This is probably my favorite feature.) It is really nice to see who opened emails, click rates, donation totals/types, etc... It is especially neat that we could send emails to people based on what emails they have opened or clicked on.
*Branded donation pages was a must have for us and we got that so it's a big plus with Salsa.

Cons

*The emails were mostly good, but sometimes editing the templates was frustrating. You can't delete certain aspects (like a table or a line) in the email and if you're not careful and press "backspace" at the wrong time, the system will think that you've clicked the "Back" shortcut key and it will take you out of the email...unless you've saved recently, your email is gone. So, save OFTEN.
*The Peer2Peer pages were good but had a few glitches. It was difficult to import off-site giving and link to a person's Ambassador page. I had to go through Customer Support to remove re-imbursed donations that were given via the P2P pages. It is really difficult to format the P2P pages - oftentimes, a page that was perfect would later start showing random signs: $ & % | and stuff...
*We had some difficulties with people getting charged more than once when they clicked the button too many times. Not sure if that's Salsa's fault or the users'.
*We had some issues with security warnings when donors when to the donation page. This was a frustrating thing that popped up often but never really got resolved.
*While the event feature was nice, it didn't work so well for people inviting guests. I'm not sure what went wrong, but we had a lot of people who were unable to register guests for some reason, even though we had clicked the box to allow it. This lead to a small logistical headache at the event itself.
*I didn't know they required 60 days notice to cancel the subscription. I had to jump through a TON of hoops to get our account canceled when our campaign was over because I only gave 30 days notice. Luckily they eventually caved and allowed us to go on good terms, but it took a lot of phone calls, emails, and polite convincing...okay, not always polite toward the end...

7.0/10
Alyssa D.

Easy to use, quick and reliable reports, constantly adding elements to make the experience better.

Reviewed on 2017/06/13

Tracking donors easily, easily sending out communication.

Pros

What I like most about Salsa Labs is the ease of use. Although as the administrator I am in the database daily, everyone on my team can easily find what they need and update donor profiles, and find out information about donors. The robust queries is also huge for me. The fact that I can easily segment out multiple layers of donors makes my job much easier. So far there has not been an output that I am looking for that I can not get through Salsa queries. The integrated emails and unlimited donation pages are also wonderful and have reduced the number of platforms we have to use.

Cons

I do wish there was a little bit more integration between the CRM and the Engage side of the systems. Currently if I send out an email blast it does not add a note or activity to the donor's profile on the CRM side saying this was sent. Currently I have to add them to a group and then add a note to their profile. There are a couple of other little items that are more wish list items rather than items I have to have in a CRM. Also, the customer support, although they are always helpful, it is sometimes hard to get ahold of them. Emails usually take a good 3-7 days to answer (sometimes mores) and if I call I am on hold for a good 15-30 min sometimes. It is nice that I can call anytime, but frustrating that it can take awhile to get ahold of anyone.

Derek B.

Salsa is the best software for the money

Reviewed on 2017/11/03
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Ilona and Andrew on were great at walking us through the process. It is always cumbersome when starting a new CRM solution, but between them and Joe, our onboarding specialist, the people at Salsa were great. We're still getting use to all the available tools, but have found great benefit in everything so far!

Pros

Lots of tools (Email, Events, P2P, Social Media, etc.) Great options for communicating to donors and receiving donations. A lot of customization for marketing and accounting.

Cons

Merging the two solutions (Engage and the CRM) has proven clunky, but the team is committed to fixing any issues.

Response from Dan

Thanks for your review, Derek. Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage have a built-in two-way integration that syncs all standard and custom fields between the two, pushes online supporter activity data into Salsa CRM and enables you to build groups in Salsa CRM and push them to Salsa Engage for online engagement. Also, be sure to check out Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that will help you learn all the ins and outs and maximize the software. Specifically, there is a course on the Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage integration. Let us know if you're still having trouble and we can help you sort it out!

Kara M.

Salsa CRM is my system of choice

Reviewed on 2016/06/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I've been in development for 20+ years and used a variety of systems, and Salsa CRM is the only product that consistently meets my needs and gets the job done. The product is intuitive, easy to learn and their support is top-notch. Many webinar and trainings offered, although it is so easy to use I don't need to tap those options much.

Cons

not applicable - nothing to improve. The product is intuitive and meets my needs, and most importantly is scalable. I've used Salsa in a shop with less than 10K donors and in an organization with over 30K donors, and have worked with peers everywhere in between also using the product with great success.

Elizabeth T.

i have grown from a salsa no nothing to semi master because of quality salsa support

Reviewed on 2017/11/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

great folks work there and are available to you

Pros

the huge body of information that can be stored; the tech help that is available with a simple phone call

Cons

learning curve can be difficult to get through. the page face is overwhelming (why all of the brown space?)

Response from Dan

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your review and for being a longtime customer. Wanted to make you aware of Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that has really shortened the learning curve for Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage users. Also, the new browser interface of Salsa CRM is much improved from the desktop interface you may have used in years past. More interface and dashboard improvements are in the works right now! If you haven't requested access to Salsa Scholars yet, you can do so by emailing [email protected]

Erin E.

Great product and excellent support team

Reviewed on 2016/09/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Salsa CRM is user friendly and easy to learn. After using similar products this one is the best I have seen and so is their support team! The team goes above and beyond when training and that great service even extends even after training is complete. I always recognize familiar names and voices when I call/email with questions. The also offer online help and training videos so you can stay up-to-date on new functions that may benefit your organization. Salsa CRM offers a fantastic product and the support to meet your needs. They communicate with their customers well and are always updating information for the customers and asking for feedback to make the experience better.

Cons

There is no one thing I would change. If there is something I think may have an idea or have a suggestion, I can submit to Salsa CRM. They always respond to customer feedback and review to see if in is something that can/should be implemented.

Kalyn H.

great customer service!

Reviewed on 2018/02/07
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We are managing our database and fundraising. It has been amazing to streamline the two! We used to use several platforms for all of our needs and we found that it was nearly impossible to maintain accurate records that way, the inconsistency was inevitable. Salsa has really helped us solve that issue by creating a system (with a reasonable price tag) that talks to one another. For example, a ticket sale online will go directly into a record!

Pros

The diverse features available and they are always updating to stay current with trends! I am grateful for the constant updates and the variety of options available.

Cons

The implementation was a bit rocky but customer service worked with us a lot and we got through it! We were moving from google drive and several other platforms for ticket sales, emails, etc. so we didn't have any experience with this. It eventually all worked out and the Salsa team really stepped up to accommodate our needs.

Amanda S.

Fantastic customer service for a beneficial product

Reviewed on 2017/11/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

*Helpful and responsive customer service - Clay is wonderful!
*Reporting provides fantastic and detailed snapshot

Cons

*Need training to understand how to use product; Not extremely user-friendly initially
*Rather dull display

Response from Dan

Amanda, thanks for your review and for being a longtime customer. Wanted to make you aware of Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that has really shortened the learning curve for Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage users. Also, the new browser interface of Salsa CRM is much improved from the desktop interface you may have used in years past. More interface and dashboard improvements are in the works right now! If you haven't requested access to Salsa Scholars yet, you can do so by emailing [email protected]

Donna G.

Great customer service, but conversion is a time-consuming pain.

Reviewed on 2017/07/10

At this time, we haven't been using Salsa CRM long enough to record any marked benefit. We're still in the problem-solving phase of post-conversion. As the Development Director, I did receive an immense benefit from sifting through the 2.5 million data fields from our conversion templates, however. I now have intimate knowledge of our constituents and our data that I didn't have before. It's given me a better view of our donor base which has allowed for the placement of fundraising strategies. If CRM and Engage would ever interphase properly, Salsa could probably make my life a lot easier. But right now, it makes it more difficult.

Pros

Customer service is awesome. I appreciate that I can call and get help instead of wading through hours of online instruction videos. Everyone I've encountered has been helpful and knowledgeable. I appreciate the ability to categorize constituents into groups. It's proven very helpful on directing messaging to appropriate constituents.

Cons

Frequently used items, such as notes and address and phone edits, aren't where one would think they would be. When learning the system, it causes a lot of frustration trying to find things. Also, there are lots of drop down menus without explanations on how each category affects the larger picture. For example, under "Edit Address," there is place to check is the address is "Home," "Business," or "Primary." (You can check more than one.) Then across from that, there's a drop down menu titled "Reason." No explanation of what this category means. The choices are "All Correspondence," "Bad Address," "Non-Solicitations Only," "Primary Address," or "Solicitations Only." How does this relate to the "Preferred Contact" drop down found under "Constituent Information" which also features "Solicitations Only" and "Non-Solicitations Only"? Isn't that overkill? What's the logic behind that? It would be nice if there was a printed user's guide. Sure, there's all sorts of information online to sift through, but who has time to watch videos? Give me a searchable .PDF with general instructions that include an overview of the drop down menu choices and their best uses. Finally, conversion is NOT easy. You get what you pay for. We paid for the basic conversion, and I had to manually process over 2.5 million data fields from our previous software to Salsa's templates. It took me 6 weeks. We're still waiting for Salsa CRM and Engage to interphase properly 2 months later.

Response from Salsa Labs

Donna - Thank you for your thorough review. We encourage you to provide feedback directly to Salsa as we do incorporate our clients' enhancement requests into future releases. Our Director of Customer Support will be reaching out to you directly to address some of your specific issues. Regarding documentation, we do have an online user's guide that you can download if you prefer printed materials. You can also use our online knowledge base which is searchable by topic. Also, all Salsa customers now have access to Salsa Scholars, our brand new e-Learning platform. It's self-paced interactive learning for both Salsa Engage and Salsa CRM and the purpose built integration which we continue to enhance. In the latest release (expected to be in production by the end of July 2017), you will see enhancements to the integration which were made based on the feedback of our active user community. Please contact Customer Support if you need access to any of the tools listed.

5.0/10
Ken H.

Importing data went very smoothly with the help of Salsa Lab personnel. Not a single glitch.

Reviewed on 2017/12/12

Accuracy of information. Able to research donors to determine how often they give, amount of gift, etc. Most important support from Salsa staff.

Pros

Salsa is much better than our previous experience with another vendor who will remain un-named. Generating reports is easy and the database is easy to work with.

Most important to us is the support provided by Salsa. I am able to reach them during business hours and they spend the time needed to solve any issues. They are clearly customer oriented. Many others I researched charged extra for this level of service. With Salsa it is included.

Cons

Does not link to other email providers. It would be nice to be able to use Constant Contact or another email provider and have it link directly to the program. Engage is nice, but is some cases not as easy to use as are the other email service providers.

Having said that we are very satisfied with our use of Salsa overall and have no plans to go looking for anyone else.

Beth C.

Great product, could use a few tweaks

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

I really like Salsa Engage and how easy it is to use. There are some functionalities that could be improved, and hopefully will be improved as they continue to roll out new product features. Our members find it easier to use that our last system, and with each update, Salsa is offering some cool new features that we will begin to use. There are some things (like event registrations) that don't work as well as we would like them to (you can't delete people who cancel attendance at a free event, and there is no way to pull all the info for registrants and guests in just one list), but hopefully those will be fixed soon. I find the customer service people very responsive, but it isn't always a quick fix for our issues. We have used this product for about seven months and so far are pleased with how it is working for us.

Pros

easy to use, great advocacy tool, great statistics/reports, easy to share on social media

Cons

formatting emails can be difficult if you want to include photos, event registration is a little clunky, hard to get issues resolved through customer support tickets sometimes

Jodie T.

Salsa CRM Experience

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

I have been using Salsa (formerly DonorPro) for about 2 years. The system is easy to use and allows us to segment donors, easily pull reports and capture essential information to complete donor profiles. We also use the Event Management module - while a little cumbersome at first, this module allows us to extract the data in a more efficient manner when soliciting and prospecting for future events.

Pros

Ease of use. You can select the modules you wish to use - we don't need them all. I like the fact that Constant Contact is connected - less data entry errors when capturing info. Support services are good.

Cons

Running queries - this aspect is not intuitive to me. I often find myself asking colleagues or the help desk for assistance.

Justin H.

It just doesn't work as it is advertised

Reviewed on 2017/03/04

We have been a Donor Pro client for years and were excited about the merger and possibilities with Salsa. However, we felt a bit neglected as a previous client, slipping through the cracks of the transition and experiencing a number of problems because of this. The overall functionality of the product has been cumbersome, making it feel like they launched the merger before ironing out really important issues. Customer service is generally good with very kind people. At first, the response time was great 1-2 days, however, we now end up facing at times 3-4 weeks on some tickets. But, I got tired of calling for an update on an issue, having the person try to fix it on the phone even though they land in the same place as the previous person...I can't figure this out, I need to send it to the developers or update the ticket. In general, I just spent way too much time trying to find answers, solutions, and we are a small organization that cannot afford it. They have updated their website in a way that gets you really excited about the product. It looks great and probably is for a new organization just starting out! But, it just hasn't been a great experience for us. Functionality was up and down. And, as an organization in transition, both with software tools and looking to grow and expand, we thought this would be a helpful tool. It hasn't met our expectations yet, and holding our breath a bit longer to see if things improve.

Pros

The integration is nice when it is working to its full capacity.

Cons

Too many glitches, issues with functionality. Things are not as streamlined as they seem to be advertised. A lot of challenges and issues for our team.

Response from Salsa Labs

Hi Justin - We are sorry that you experienced disruption of service as we merged DonorPro and Salsa. Now that our teams are fully integrated, we hope that you've found Customer Support much improved. Our Director of Customer Support will reach out to you directly to confirm. Also, please visit our Salsa Support Center where you'll find a searchable knowledge base. You also have access to Salsa Scholars, our new e-learning system. Here you'll find self-paced interactive courses for Salsa Engage, Salsa CRM and the integration which has been recently enhanced based on user feedback. If you haven't been through Salsa Smart Start Fundraising, we encourage you to sign up. It's free for all Salsa clients and provides you with a fundraising expert and access to best practices. Call us or send us an email for assistance with accessing the tools mentioned here.

4.0/10
Jacquline A.

We do not hesitate to recommend this software to anyone!

Reviewed on 2009/03/26

We do not hesitate to recommend this software to anyone! After comparing it to some of the other software programs available we have learned two very important things. 1) It incorporates so many things that you would otherwise have to purchase multiple software programs to accomplish what Donor Pro does with just one. The result of this is a very significant savings which means everything to a non-profit. 2) No company has yet compared to their customer service team. They are always ready to hear customer feedback on what they can do to improve their software to better accomodate their customers, and they not only listen, but they actually follow through and incorporate those suggestions.

Pros

We cannot say enough positive things about Donor Pro. We are able to operate almost our entire office off of this software, and use it to accomadate the employees that work from home. It can easily be adapted to fit so many of our non-profits needs. We would be lost without it. The best thing about the company, by far, is their customer service. They always exceed our expectations. Our Director of Development has used several donor management software programs in her previous positions, and stated on many occasions none of them compared to all the features that donor pro offers. She is constantly amazed when she learns about a new feature and the ease of use. One of the things that highly impresses me is how easily you can make a request for an enhancement, and then how quickly you see it incorporated into a future upgrade.

Cons

We have been customers for almost 4 years now and still have no negative feedback to offer.

Robin W.

Salsa CRM is THE tool for success

Reviewed on 2017/03/10

Salsa CRM has been one of the easiest transitions to a new tool that I've ever experienced. From the very beginning, we were supported and guided through preparing our data for the conversion, connected with staff to train us on how to make the most of the features. After we implemented the tool, the wide variety of support and training materials has made getting the answer to any question incredibly easy. Salsa CRM gives you all the functionality of an expensive system at an affordable rate. This is the third organization I've worked for using Salsa and the second that I've led the transition from a different system.

Pros

It is easy to use and intuitive. The ability to create processes for cultivation and other engagement activities is invaluable and makes managing a growing team of fundraisers far easier.

Cons

Salsa CRM being a newer product that was based on the DonorPro platform, the manual wasn't immediately updated to reflect the online, cloud-based product.

Ellen S.

I love Salsa

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Inputting data. Earmarking donations. Following metrics. Pulling reports. Sending out timely thank you notes. Sending out monthly newsletters. And I am probably using a small percent of Salsa's capabilities.

Pros

The ease at which you can store and retrieve data. I love the reports! I love the help desk - they will answer any question and stay with you until the issue is solved. I particularly enjoy working with the executive - he is very knowledgeable plus he recognizes my voice which is a nice personal touch.

Cons

As a nonprofit animal shelter, I would love for some kind of discount. However, I believe Salsa is a worthwhile CRM for all our needs.

Shauna S.

Great experience, Salsa gave us the tools we needed to manage our donors.

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

Pros

With Salsa we were able to compile the information that lived on spreadsheets into one database that is very functional. The ability to look at the history of our donors and to pull reports has enabled us to make better decisions. We were able to implement a major gifts program after purchasing the software.

Cons

It took a few tries to figure out the word processor, but it was worth the effort. The individual letter editing saved lots of time.

Lynn S.

Admin/Development Assistant

Reviewed on 2017/11/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It is user-friendly. It is very intuitive which makes navigating easier. Most questions can be answered by using the online help, but if a phone call is necessary the staff is very accommodating.

Cons

The overall type is very small. This might be something I'm doing or not doing but I often get different donation amounts depending on how I pull the data, I would like to be able to add fields to a set query. There may be a way and I just don't know about it.

Michele G.

Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2016/11/18
Review Source

We are a local chapter of a national nonprofit organization, and manage roughly 50,000 records. I use it daily with little to no issues, enter and acknowledging donations and keeping details records of constituents. My favorite part is the ProPortal where you can get resources such as software upgrades and video tutorials.

Pros

Easy to use. Tons of online resources. Open to user input.

Cons

Getting more complicated issues resolved can be a chore. But I think this is an example of growing pains. Hopefully more staff will cure this problem.

Happy Customer

Reviewed on 2017/06/06
Review Source

This is the best CRM software I've ever used. Easy to pull reports, do batching, and get information. Is a great tool for gathering information about your donors.

Pros

Very easy to use as compared with other CRMs that I've tried. Friendly customer service. Very happy to have cloud based option to check when I'm out of the office.

Cons

More help with instruction and maybe a reference manual. Sometimes it feels hard to get a handle on the very many add on features, which is a good thing.

Karen S.

Very Satisfied Donor Pro Users!

Reviewed on 2016/06/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The tech support and service is exceptional. Every question receives a quick and thorough response.
The functionality is very good for what we need.
The cost is very reasonable and we are able to afford additional modules.

Cons

We are very satisfied with the product. We have only one suggestion for improvement. We would like to see a better integration within the Event Module itself. Every entry is listed as a registrant/attendee. We have sponsors who are non-attendees and we would like to keep the sponsors separate from the registrants.

Jerry C.

Unvarnsihed Endorsement of Salsa Labs and Donor Pro CRM

Reviewed on 2017/10/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

it is comprehensive.....and for limited users like me who panic when our highly competend data base and digital manager is out the help desk has the patience of a saint or godees to help me get unstuck

in any transaction it is the service and help that follows the sale that makes or breaks a great product great service great team....Salsa Labs has written THE book on getting support right

Margaret A.

Some pro's but very difficult & terrible at Events

Reviewed on 2017/03/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

There are some great features about this product, but it is a very difficult system learn and manage and the Event platform isn't fully integrated between DonorPro and Salsa (these 2 companies merged), making it VERY difficult.

Pros

Customer Service is great. Being able to call in and get a live person when I have a question is awesome. I also like the Salsa Engage platform for email blasts, posting on social media, and creating fundraising campaigns.

Cons

Difficult CRM to use and learn, and not that great once it's up and running. Also, Event Platform is not fully integrated between the DonorPro side and the Salsa Engage side. It is easy to set up the fundraising landing page and registration in Salsa Engage, but after that you are left to figure out how to bring those registrations back over to the CRM side, where you supposedly would assign them seats, bidder number and check them in. It was so difficult trying to find a person that could answer my questions, (they admitted that it didn't work properly), that I finally downloaded the info to an Excel Spreadsheet and highlighted 400+ people with a yellow highlighter! Also at check-in, we pre-authorized credit cards in the CRM, and used the recommended cc sliders, but it took forever as they wouldn't pre-authorize unless the address was exactly perfect. (Our old Event Platform would gather that CC info at check-in and pre-authorize with out having to type in an address, or much of anything.) This made registration so slow that we received numerous complaints and it was very stressful.

3.0/10
Ben B.

Great online fundraising platform

Reviewed on 2017/04/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We moved from simply accepting paypal payments 4 years ago to Givezooks. Salsa's acquisition and implementation of givezooks into their CRM gives us exactly what we need for our small 501 without paying for a lot we don't.

Pros

How easy it is to create annual campaign and new grassroots fundraising pages.

Cons

I wish my team members could reset their prior year pages without creating new ones, and i could just re-link them to the new annual campaign