Justworks

Write a Review!
Payroll, benefits, HR, and compliance all in one place.

4.5/5
4.4/5
4.6/5
4.5/5

Anna Ruth
Anna Ruth
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Switched from Trinet, and never looking back

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Overall, it's benefitted employee engagement, increased efficiency and decreased costs. Basically, Justworks does what every HR software vendor claims to do, but very very few ever achieve.

Pros

The software UI/UX is lightyears ahead of stodgy, archaic software like Trinet. It's also modern and sleek, which makes my employees just feel good and more confident in using the system. It's so much easier to navigate and offers valuable, yet simple, features that amazingly - clunky systems like Trinet can't manage to code into their dashboards. For example, Justworks lets us direct deposit pay to contractors via the software (with Trinet we had to use a separate processing system like PayPal to pay contractors). It also includes a cool company calendar that employees can login to view upcoming holidays, paydays, etc. Finally, it makes requesting PTO seamless and actually fun for the end user. On top of it all - Justworks offers us cheaper insurance plans (which benefit's my team's pocket books) and is a fraction of the overall monthly fee.

Cons

It's really hard for me to find a con. The only one I can say is that they don't offer white-glove, concierge services to answer more "complex" HR questions. I've heard Justworks might be adding a professional services team to resolve this.

Matt

Fantastic

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

Justworks i sby far one of the best service providers that I've worked with across any discipline. The software is easy to use, the help is fantastic, and the support options (email, phone, or my favorite: Slack) are top notch. Whenever I have a question, whether about the software or about a specific payroll or benefits question, I hop on Slack and am able to chat with a representative within a couple of minutes. I've found them universally to be knowledgeable and helpful.

Pros

Justworks of course isn't just a software package, but the software itself is top notch. It's easy to use, a complete solution, and makes it easy to adminster our entire workforce quickly.

If I had to pick the best attribute, it would be management of payroll. Prior to Justworks we had bounced around between a few different payroll providers, and the experience was subpar. With Justworks it's point and click, and I can walk away with confidence knowing that it will be done correctly.

Cons

I would like to see more training offerings built into the platform, for example a general training course for new managers, but I can't think of any other offerings that are lacking.

ADP TotalSource

Reasons for Choosing Justworks

We began looking at Justworks as a benefits option (moving from traditional health insurance to a PEO), but we were blown away by the service and software offerings that came with it.

Reasons for Switching to Justworks

Justworks had a better reputation and better software, and the pricing was much more attractive.
Matt

Owner and general manager of company with 15 employees. I do all the payroll inputs myself...

Reviewed on 2018/05/14

Pros

Easy to use. Employees are in charge of tracking their cumulative hours. The geo-fence is good. App is good, though the font is microscopic.

Cons

Rounds the hours down in QB integration.
Only imports grand total hours into QB, does not put OT in proper QB payroll fields.
All the reports are listed first name first. Then conversely QB is last name first...AS IT SHOULD BE!!!!
It does not allow me to edit a shift that is still open!

Josh

Boomr is Amazing!

Reviewed on 2019/11/11

I love the chat option with Boomr, so many of my difficult questions have been answered with a simple chat. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been amazing and extremely responsive to all my questions, even if the answer isn't the direction I hoped it would be.

Pros

I love the time tracking features with the app. We recently started using the Time Off Requests and it has helped us to track our time off requests more efficiently as well as effectively. We love the ability to track lengths of lunches and being able to see the "approaching overtime" tracker on the desktop version.

Cons

1 thing that I wish the software did was able us to track "unpaid time off". I understand the reasons it doesn't but if we had this ability it would eliminate our need to use a secondary software to process all time off requests. As it stand right now, we still have 2 different time allocation systems we have to use in order to show all of our needs.

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Justworks

Simplicity, ease of use, tracking, GPS location, Job Site tracking.

Reasons for Switching to Justworks

The ability to download the app on different devices and the simplicity of the app itself.
Michael
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

The whole enchilada

Reviewed on 2020/07/29

Justworks has been a blessing from the start. On-boarding was simple and their team provided all of the necessary steps to get up and running quickly. Administration in the platform is simple and our employees far prefer the easy access to payroll and benefit documents over our previous system. Finally the consolidation of all relevant documentation, reminders, and JustWorks attention to education has made this platform a huge time saver for our company.

Pros

The unification of all HR related tasks are a huge plus for a small business. JustWorks is a force multiplier that allows a small business such as ours to provide benefits to our employees in a simple and direct way. There is no need to bounce between multiple platforms, providers, or agents to manage payroll, healthcare, workers comp, etc. Everything is accessible in a simple and intuitive system.

Cons

Navigating benefits can be a bit of a challenge, however the JustWorks team is always there to help guide you and provide the necessary resources.

Paycom

Reasons for Choosing Justworks

Paycor was klunky, difficult to navigate and had questionable customer service.

Reasons for Switching to Justworks

JustWorks is an intuitive platform that enables our company to save hours per week on administration while ensuring our employees have the benefits they need, when they need them.
Shannon

So Happy I Made the Switch to JustWorks!

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

My team and I evaluated several PEO options before ultimately choosing to go with JustWorks. JustWorks was the most cost-effective, with the best benefit offerings for my employees, the most intuitive user interface and allowed me to have the most control of all of my employee's data.

Pros

The tool is extremely user-friendly. I did very limited training for my employees to learn how to use it because of the intuitive user-interface. The Customer Support team is fantastic! I can call up my Account Manager or quickly use the chat feature and I always get a quick and friendly response and a resolution to my question or issue.

Cons

The services may not be as comprehensive as other PEO systems, but my Account Manager is always quick to recommend a tool or service that would be compatible (example: applicant tracking system).

Benjamin
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Perfect PEO Solution

Reviewed on 2020/02/28

I scouted HRIS and PEOs and landed on JustWorks after some recommendations from other start ups. I am so glad we went with JW and am an evangelist to what they're doing. Easy to use, implement and their support is exactly what we needed. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Pros

Transparency around all pricing and fees, no hidden costs or surprises, ease of sales process, onboarding was seamless and well organized, full support during signing up, onboarding and sustained ops. Customer service 24/7 across multiple channels monitored by humans has been HUGE. The software is easy to use as an admin and user. The HR tools have been very helpful. We had very early unique employee circumstances and JustWorks support helped guide is successfully through these events and added huge value to my employees and the company.

Cons

Software constantly being upgraded - which is great. They take feedback from users and implement quickly. Member benefits being added frequently. No complaints here!

Gusto, TriNet Zenefits, Rippling and TriNet Hire

Reasons for Choosing Justworks

More robust platform, better customer service, upgraded to PEO for employer of record reasons + health benefits.

SurePayroll

Reasons for Switching to Justworks

Pricing transparency, full suite of "big company benefits" for our small company, customer service, ease of onboarding and overall attitude and vibes.
Evan

Justworks for a Series A tech startup

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

We've used Gusto before, which was also good, but found Justworks to be more affordable and useful at the point that we started adding benefits instead of just payroll.

Pros

24/7 live support via Slack is a game changer that I wish every provider would offer. Software itself is very easy to use and setup, benefits are extensive so you can really customize to your team's needs. So much just happens on its own without my involvement which is great.

Cons

Not much functionality around contractors, and can't handle international contractors at all I believe, so we have to use other solutions here. Also no way to schedule recurring reimbursements for benefits that aren't part of the ones they offer already (like if you want to reimburse for a monthly gym membership that isn't ClassPass).

Rippling

Reasons for Choosing Justworks

When we were adding benefits Justworks was more cost effective and they came recommended by other founders I know.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Justworks

Founder reviews for Rippling had some nightmare stories.
Zach

Justworks Review

Reviewed on 2020/07/29

Pros

It is very easy to use. I'd say it is perfect for our company with a size of 30 employees because we don't need all the big features that other PEO's offer.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about the software!

Reasons for Choosing Justworks

Cost of ADP TotalSource was a lot and we didn't need all the features they have to offer.

ADP TotalSource

Reasons for Switching to Justworks

We chose Justworks over TriNet due to the cost and features in Justworks. TriNet has a lot of features that we wouldn't use and the cost was far greater than Justworks.
Sara
Sara

Easy to navigate, even easier to understand

Reviewed on 2022/01/28

Justworks is just that good. It is easy to navigate and understand. I never fall behind on deadlines or lose important information. It's all in Justworks when I need it.

Pros

I like that all of my payroll information is easily accessible with an intuitive user-interface. For example, the platform reminds me when certain items are due such as healthcare insurance enrollment and W-2 tax information. It also notifies me of any status changes like salary increases, promotions, and the like. The software is also secure since it requires two factor authentication every time I login.

Cons

It can take a while for changes to be reflected in the platform. For example, I would recommend adding new employees a few days before their start time to ensure that Justworks recognizes them when they login for the first time, without delay.

Brian
  • Industry: Medical Practice

A Must for growing Start Ups

Reviewed on 2020/07/29

The platform is an amazing plug in play architecture that allows us to focus on building a business and not spending time on cumbersome administrative processes.

Pros

Ease of use , functionality and the added value of payment services

Cons

Would really like document repository capacity or employee files

Tracking. Reporting and needed a PEO partner

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Justworks

Ease of use, pricing, payment services
Jamie

Justworks is fantastic!

Reviewed on 2020/07/29

Pros

I love how user friendly the Justworks platform is and the added value that we get through all of the Justworks partnerships. The customer service is phenomenal, and I truly feel like my representative is part of my team.

Cons

I really can't think of something I would change.

Laurie

GraceBlood, LLC Review of Justworks

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

I've worked with ADP, Paychex, Stratex and several smaller payroll applications and JustWorks is the most straight-forward and easy to use.

Pros

There is little to no training required, very self-explanatory if you've done payroll in the past.

Cons

It would be nice to see more ready-made reports.

Reasons for Choosing Justworks

Desired HR support and easier payroll processing.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Justworks

It seemed to be the most straight forward and matched our needs.
Kirsten
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great people, great value

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

The people - sales, account managers and help desk folks - are all really great. They are patient with multiple questions and are very responsive. I love the Slack channel!

Pros

All of the features are very user friendly, for both admins and end users.

Cons

There isn't an integration with Quickbooks Desktop so I have to enter the transactions manually.
Also, I am not able to customize reports as much as I would like.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Justworks

Justworks was clearly the best value for the features and services we needed.
Jessica

Great product, decent customer service

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

Sales team was very professional and informative. A few instances where we assumed something that wasn't the case, but they are very open to hearing suggestions and easy to get in touch with. If you need strong HR support, it might not be the best option, it seems that they have very "canned" responses when dealing with HR questions. But the overall system & ease of use is fantastic.

Pros

Very easy to use, great standardized reports

Cons

Nothing. It is very easy to use and great support.

Sirius

Justworks has been lifesaving

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

Overall Experience has been great. Very easy program to use and to teach. We've had two account managers so far and they both have been AMAZING.

Pros

As both and admin and a user, the software's interface and functionality is very easy to use.

Cons

Invoices are not able to be converted to a pdf. That is something I'd like to see them improve.

Scott
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Justworks is an excellent PEO for small business

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

Justworks is a PEO, which stands for Professional Employment Organization. The software is the tool you use to administrate most of your company's activities with the PEO. PEO's come in various business models, but here is the way to think about them: if you are a small business that wants to outsource payroll AND a full set of benefits (health insurance, 401K, dental insurance, workers comp, short term disability, long term disability, paid holidays, paid time off) to your full-time employees), one of your best options is to use a PEO. For payroll, tax and benefit purposes, Justworks becomes the "employer" of your employees. You remain the employer in terms of hire/fire/train/ performance appraisal. You select what benefits you want to offer, and have fairly good flexibility on whether you want the "gold plated" benefits or the "just good enough" benefits or something in between. As the employer, you pay roughly $80 - $99 per month per full time employee for payroll services, plus the cost of the benefits you choose to provide to your employees. As a very small business, using a PEO was by far the best option for me to provide big-company benefits.

Pros

When I shopped about two years ago, Justworks was by far the best AND lowest cost option. Justworks customer support (think of them as your Human Resources department for benefits and payroll) is top notch. We get answers to our questions within a few hours, and have always gotten satisfactory responses to issue. Their payroll service has always been satisfactory, and they allow my company to offer "big company" benefits.

Cons

I really have no complaints about Justworks. When I was shopping for PEOs, I found lots of nightmare reviews of all the other PEOs I found. The large payroll companies also have terrible reviews. I never found a bad review of Justworks, and now I know why. They are a great service provider. The only way I can imagine leaving them is if my company grows so large that it makes sense to have an internal HR and payroll department.

Meri
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Easy Transistion

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

Overall my experience with Justworks has been very good. I transitioned from a large PEO that offered a lot more services than I needed and I was not really sure what I was paying at times. I have found Justworks offers everything I need to easily process payroll, including bonuses, and the health insurance program is actually better at least for my family than what I was getting in the past. There have been times when I needed help fixing things I did incorrectly or just special circumstances and the Justworks staff was very happy to help me out.

Pros

The Justworks product is pretty intuitive so makes it easy to use. My company is in the technology industry so I need a product that my staff can quickly tap into when needed but that doesn't require babysitting .

Cons

I don't like that the payroll reports download in a spreadsheet that I personally find less readable than I would like. I would prefer a simple report format that lists each person's' details similar to a check stub and then provides a summary. I am not a trained accountant or bookkeeper so I appreciate things being super simple.

Karen

JustWorks is amazing!!!

Reviewed on 2020/09/11

Our former payroll/benefits system was clunky, extremely manual, hard to use, and the customer serviced wasn't amazing. JustWorks literally has made our lives so much easier.

Pros

- The overall ease of use is just amazing. You can tell it was built by someone that was focused on the user experience! It's easy to use for admins and employees.
- Enrolling and viewing benefits is so clear and easy. Again, same theme, easy to understand and easy to use!
- Customer service!!! The slack channel is amazing. Everyone I've ever talked to is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable! Our account manager is also incredible. Being able to have your questions answered in minutes vs days is the best thing and it's made our lives so much easier.
- The payroll process is so simple it's almost hard to believe. Everything is automated so your payroll people don't have to spend hours redoing the same process every other week.
- Onboarding process for new hires is amazing!! It's so easy and makes it a simple process for the new hire and the employer.

Cons

It doesn't integrate with our 401(k) but we use a smaller company for our 401(k) and it's so easy to set it up a manual deduction. Not really a con in my opinion.

Christa

Incredible Admin and Employee Support

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

I have found exemplary employees in all aspects of the process (sales, onboarding rep, account rep, HR support, accounting). I feel thankful every day that I have the support and guidance of Justworks to help navigate the complexities of payroll, benefits, and compliance.

Pros

The customer service is unmatched with some of the more well known brands. The website is very intuitive, and easy to use. If you do have a problem, or question, there is no ticket system where it takes forever to get a rep. You have a dedicated, accessible account manager who is your go to, and can also work with the 24/7 support team. Instead of every question going through you as an admin, their support team is very hands on and works with your employees as well.

Cons

There have been a few limitations on the PTO system that I have had to find workarounds to, though I believe this is going to be corrected in the next few months.

• Used for 2+ years

Perfect PEO for a small nonproft

Reviewed on 2020/03/17

It's a huge time-saver, and enables us to offer more benefits than otherwise possible.

Pros

It has enabled us to offer so many more benefits than previously, at a price that is much more reasonable than any previously existing PEO. It's great that it is all on a single platform, and the customer support has been very responsive.

Cons

The integration with QuickBooks online is not amazing. They need to continue to update the site for better usability, especially their reporting section. I would like more offerings and features.

Gusto and TriNet

Pricing and features.
Coralie

It's in the name. It Just Works.

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

It has solved many issues we would have otherwise run into like all payments, headcount reports, tax docs, contact info.

Pros

Super sue friendly. On demand customer service via slack or phone call. Always helpful. Excellent product, easy for admins to help their staff.

Cons

More flexibility for benefits for partime and contractors. With the rise of remote and freelance work, it would be great to be able to offer benefit packages whatever those may be as options for companies who employe many freelancers.

Cam
  • Industry: Sports

Simply put, Justworks just works

Reviewed on 2023/06/26

Understanding your business needs at different portions of the remote-work industry is difficult but with Justworks Hours, it's easy and seamless to visualize (and pay) our hard-working efforts from our entire staff

Pros

We really like the ease of deployment for Justworks -- but mainly the ease at keeping track of both our full-time and our contracted employees is pivotal. The access to our staff directory and the hours they all keep allows freedom to work from anywhere.

Cons

There isn't a single feature that I can say we have any issue with this. It's quite literally a perfect product.

Amadna
  • Industry: Animation

Good, but pricey

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

Overall positive, but could be smoother.

Overall positive, but could be smoother.

Pros

The interface is easy. There's always a place to find the answer you are looking for. I like the discounts for healthcare while using Justworks as a PEO.

Cons

The software is great. However, I didn't love that when we onboarded with Justworks they didn't let us know that we needed to take lots of steps with the state to cancel certain things. We got hit with some unexpected fees and slapped on the wrist. It also cost us lawyer and CPA $$ since we had to get their advice on the matter.

Ann
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

All is well until it is not

Reviewed on 2020/02/28

Twice the state has called me because things were not filed correctly with them. First they were lacking to information for our Worker's Comp coverage, then it was because they didn't have a record of our Disability and Paid Family Leave Insurance. There was also a discrepancy between the amount JustWorks had invoiced us, and the amount withdrawn from our bank account. I was told that it was probably related to the Paid Family Leave Insurance. The support team has told me that these problems are very rare, but in my experience they seem common. The reasons we joined JustWorks were ensure our payroll was handled correctly, that we were compliant with all state and federal regulations and to get better health care coverage.

Pros

better insurance rates
handles payroll
is supposed to handle all state and federal regulations

Cons

The Help and Support are useless, they direct me to unrelated articles
I get too many emails - it is hard to determine when I need to act or when it is spam in disguise.