AdvancedMD EHR

Electronic Health Record (EHR & EMR) software

What an easy transition for our office!

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

Pros

User friendly interface, that is easy to learn and navigate. With the different skill levels to computers, this program was excellent for all levels.

Cons

There are occasional data delays with secondary EHR programs. Although with a couple of tricks it can be quickly fixed.

Kelly

Great software

Reviewed on 2020/10/22

Love it!

Love it!

Pros

AdvancedMD is very user friendly with all the bells and whistles.

Cons

No big cons come to mind. Apparently, I can not complete the survey without adding more characters to this box.

athenaOne

Reasons for Choosing AdvancedMD EHR

Needed more functionality. This system started with all the bells and whistles and keeps on improving!!

Reasons for Switching to AdvancedMD EHR

Price. AdvancedMD MD was better priced and had all the bells and whistles
William

Mixed feelings

Reviewed on 2022/06/23

The implementation process was pleasant, they always made it on time for their meetings and provided all the promised training. We launched on schedule. We love the advanced features it has like mobile capability, integrated fax, etc. We have had challenges with RCM, but it is still way better than our previous RCM manager.

Pros

We decided on AdvancedMD when we were changing software because of the competitive price. It also had lots of the features we wanted.

-Mobile App
-Patient Portal
-Good analytic tools

These tools all work and help our practice. Love the scheduler too.

Our practice uses way less paper now that our patients can fill out forms on tablets.

We were also sold on its usability for podiatrists, but I think this program is best suited for MDs- just look at the name!

Cons

None of the preset podiatry templates are usable for our DPMs, which is too bad.

Some screens (scheduler) are super intuitive and clean, but other are clumsy and difficult to use (charge entry). I hope in further updates they can optimize the whole system.

As others have noted, the template creator is difficult to use, and they charge a lot to get training or custom templates made by experts.

We use them for RCM too, and that has been problematic at times. We were told during sales that it would only be a 1-2 hours of work per day for our office on billing and they would manage all denials and exclusions etc. This is only half true. They manage denials and exclusions by waiting forever to deal with them, or just sending them back to us if they don't know what to do. While they stay on top of the simple stuff like sending out claims and posting payments, we do most of the nitty gritty time consuming work. The Client Services team is responsive and you can always get someone on the phone quickly, but it can still take months to solve claims issues. They aren't the billing experts they claim to be, but it is still a useful service if you go into it with that expectation.

Athena and NextGen Office

It was outdated.

Pricing
Michelle

Best overall medical software

Reviewed on 2024/01/24

Overall this is heads and shoulders above other EHRs

Overall this is heads and shoulders above other EHRs

Pros

Charting is easy and templates are comprehensive

Cons

It would be great if it had a specific allergy component.

Response from AdvancedMD

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review.

Adam

Aaron

Good product, terrible customer 'service'

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

It's helped eliminate a lot of manual effort with scanning in documents. THe reporting is pretty good. However, the implementation managers are terrible. They start presentations telling you that they will not respond for 48 hours to calls or emails outside of standing meetings. What they should say is that they won't respond at all. This mentality is common to all of the support staff.

Pros

I like the fact that in many respects the system does what we need it to do, and has many features that reduce, if not eliminate paperwork.

Cons

The support. Horrendous, slow, and/or non-responses are common.

Leibnyz
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Large practices; Do not waste your time

Reviewed on 2023/02/07

I wanted to enroll on electronic billing via practice fusion but the communication between the programs is not two way . PF does not push schedule into advance , you will need to manually do so.

Pros

This program is not design for a large practice . We were assigned a train person that had no knowledge and was learning the program herself . Our practice was out in the hands of someone that was not ready . After 5 months using the program we had to bill outside of it to get paid , still waiting on correct data transfer , most insurance carriers were advised to be added incorrectly setting out billing back to almost zero . I’m writing this review to prevent others from making the mistake of enrolling .

Cons

The program is not easy to use or setup . Clearing house takes too long to provide Information about a claim status . Expect to pay 5-6 months setting up the program or more .

Tebra

Electronic billing

Reasons for Switching to AdvancedMD EHR

They promised a swift change and a functional program . None of it was true .
Christine
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

So many clicks ... why are there so many steps?

Reviewed on 2021/06/03

We often feel mislead or duped thinking back on the sales pitch. Everything is 18 clicks- EVERYTHING. Nothing is a one click done, its multiple windows with multiple clicks. Every feature is hidden in a menu in a pop up menu in 5 different screens that after 6 months I still dont know where to find the cool features I was sold on. The absolute worst part is everything is a pop up window. Forget about it on a mac. Nothing is easy with this program. We have wanted to back out and go to a different EHR 100 times since starting the process. We have lost so much money in claims, payroll hours of staff trying to figure out WHY -- WHY WOULD THIS GO HERE? Nothing is easy in this system. I knew something was wrong abut a month ago when money stopped flowing and I just figured it out. Our tax id is incorrect --- HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? How could this slip through the cracks. Its so hard to be mad because all of the support is so kind and caring and they do their best. Its not their fault this system needs an update or an overhaul. The support staff is the only reason we have stayed so long. They deserve a raise. We pay over $400 a month for this system for 1 provider who prescribes. I feel like its too late now to switch again.I also feel like we are past the "I hate new things" part and this is really the flaws of the system. I came on THIS WEBSITE and it kept saying "easy to use". This is not easy to use in any respect.

Pros

I like the customer support (after extremely long hold times) the most. All employees are local, caring and knowledgeable. The implementation staff that we were assigned to were awesome.

Cons

All of it. Pop up windows, everything is a pop up. There is no spell check when providers are writing notes. You have to refresh the window to see the changes you made. The system has a DOS feel. Very clunky.

Cindy
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Poor training from day one!

Reviewed on 2020/02/17

About to lose my business - nobody would listen except Customer Care. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and her team were the only ones who would listen and help. Customer Care is amazing. Sad that I was promised so many things and didn't get what was promised.

Pros

When I was "sold" on this software, I was promised 11 hours of training. I was so excited about the features that it offered. I was on the phone for over 2 hours with the tutorial. The salesman was excellent in selling this software and I was so hopeful that it would be beneficial to me and my practice. I was promised that it would be up and running withing 4-6 weeks. It was told that billing would begin ASAP and that revenue would be flowing into the practice.
I have over 100 superbills saved up for the launch date. I was excited that the first 2 months would be free of charge and that the next 2 billing cycles would be at a reduced rate.

Cons

After the sale was complete - I was given a training specialist who spent at the most - 1.5 hours with training. It took a few weeks to even get him to call and help set up AdvancedMD. After he set us up, it was another couple of weeks before we heard back from him. From the time I signed the contract - it was 6 weeks before we went live, then the 11 hours of training never happened. My first 2 "free months" came and went and there wasn't a single claim being worked. The trainer from that point on literally WASTED my time and money as she would call to "introduce" herself on a 3-4 minute phone call. It was another 2 weeks before she called again. What a waste of money for my staff to plan on 1 hour training and only receive 4 min. Her trainings were inadequate, she didn't know the system, and I didn't have proper training to even know what questions to ask her.
My extreme disappointment in the set-up and training has been a HUGE factor for my business. I am in crisis mode with this billing company and nobody seems to care. If it weren't for customer care, I would be in such a mess that I wouldn't have a single dollar. The first billing cycle was on month #3. I owed $500 and hadn't even collected $200 at that time. The next month rolled around and I still hadn't collected more than $400, yet I owed another $500. Accounting billed me $1500 and automatically took it out of my account.
I don't know what is going on with AdvancedMD, but I am desperate for help

Libro

Angie is Amazing!!!

Reviewed on 2023/12/15

Advanced MD has helped our Wellness Center achieve it's streamiling and financial goals since it was implemented. When I became the manager here, implementing Advanced MD was one of my first projects and it turned out to be my most crucial. Our practice wouldn't be in the great place we are today without implementing Advanced MD.

Pros

Easy to implement, easy to use and our sales rep, [sensitive content hidden], has helped us tremendously through the entire process! We continue to find ways to leverage Advanced MD to help our practice and Angie is just a phone call away to help us do that at a price that fits nicely into our budget.

Cons

Need improvements on reporting, other than that, functionality is everything we need.

Response from AdvancedMD

Thank you for taking the time to leave the review.

Horrible Implementation

Reviewed on 2018/06/05

It's the only way I can do my job on a daily basis.

It's the only way I can do my job on a daily basis.

Pros

It's super customizable and it's aesthetically pleasing to the eye. It also is web-based which makes working from different locations easier.

Cons

Right off the bat it is pretty obvious that this software was not built for speciality and/or large clinics. Within the first few days of using it, I have already found a few workflow options that literally make no sense at all. I was told by an AdvancedMD staff member that I should have no reason to go into the chart if I don't want to start a note....as though physicians and staff members never look at a patient's chart outside of their visit? They also praise it's great customizable templates but fail to mention that they're barely useable and will need constant work to make them printable for other offices or referrals. The fact that you also can't open a patient's chart from the scheduler is bizarre. The company sold us on their new "Beta" system but it has so many glitches that it's almost unusable.

Mark

STAY AWAY FROM ADVANCED MD

Reviewed on 2021/04/23

TERRIBLE. Just don't even look at this software. There are several other medical record systems out there that work better and are far less expensive. I regret I didn't change over to one of them but it would have been an incredible hassle to do so, especially when you have very limited staff and set up is so time consuming.

Pros

That I'm retiring and don't have to deal with it anymore. I selected it becasue I'm visually impaired and for he most part it is easy to see. That's all i like about it. I wish I have chosen another system years ago.

Cons

Gouging for every add on. It could cost over $1,000 monthly with any bells and whistles added. Basic service was %730. i actually had a customner service rep hang up on me at 7PM. The have a few good people, and with the Javascript errors and other issues we've had they keep busy.. Long waits on the phone are the rule. They may take days to resolve an issue. No autosave or other means of recovering lost/ acicdentally deleted notes- and it isn't difficult to delete your work- and the customer ttraining is not that helpful. i have to design all my own templates. The sysrem, as I'm writibng this, is down for unknown reasons and of course, they're closed after 7PM central time. wE HAD lots OF PROBLEMS SCANNING IN labs, reports, etc. Every lab interface costs $40 a month. Telemed costs $130 a month. And, the gouges go on and on. i'm fed up and closing my office and they want $3,500 to download my data to disk. I'm a solo practitioner and don't have that much data to download. I'm hiring an IT guy to do it for a tiny fraction of their chartge.

Harlan
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Not ready for mental health

Reviewed on 2018/03/21

If you're looking for a powerful billing platform this may be a good system for you to consider. However, if you're looking for a full PM/EHR system to manage a mental health practice this system is not ready and costs too much for what you get.

Pros

- Great billing platform with many ways to keep track of claims and payments
- We're able to manage 3 locations with a single system
- The system overall has a lot of great capability and most of the functionality we were looking for in a PM/EHR system. However, as noted below there are issues with how some of these capabilities work.
- Templates can be customized

Cons

- The EHR is not user friendly and leads to many new users creating notes that are not connected to a session as well as multiple redundant notes for a session.
- There is no easy way to track missing notes other than going session by session for each chart
- The standard reports are generally not very helpful as they provide few ways to customize and filter. The filters that are present are often not logical ways to filter data. What's more frustrating is that there are actually more useful reports that are in the system but they cost additional money to be added to a user's key. For example, a common filter type is to filter a range of providers alphabetically. AdvancedInsight does provide an enhanced reporting capability (for an extra cost) that relies on Internet Explorer and MS Silverlight all of which are old technologies. It is also somewhat difficult and time consuming to learn and still does not provide the ability to customize reports in the standard report capability. For that you have to pay AMD to make the changes or to add the report that already exists to your key.
- Printing chart notes requires a time consuming process of creating a Microsoft Word Merge template for each note template and then printing each note one by one. The Word Merge templates are complex to create and manage.
- Our sales rep guaranteed us a 95% first pass acceptance rate. After 7 months we are at 89%. There are several reasons for this and the company has provided us a credit but don't be fooled by the promises of their sales team.
- Adding new providers can take up to a month. Again we have been promised a 24 hour turn around time and yet sometimes have to wait weeks to get new providers added to our system. Note: we have the ability to add Users but only AMD can add providers.

Carrie

Over-engineered, Underwhelming

Reviewed on 2022/01/24

Our overall experience has been pretty terrible. Though there are very friendly staff on occasion who try really hard to solve our issues, the training/implementation was criminally subpar and the bait and switch really set our practice back by about a year in terms of growth. We will never be able to get that time back, unfortunately, and are relieved to have moved forward with a company that has visited us onsite and is doing the legwork of tailoring their EHR to our needs.

Pros

More robust billing features than other EMRs; the ability to charge credit cards on file at the end of the day.

Cons

Pop ups; nothing is intuitive at all; horrific training/implementation experience; literally no discovery was completed and our demo key was an ObGyn clinic setup when we are a counseling/psychiatric practice; bait and switch with about 50% of the promised features costing a LOT extra if you actually want meaningful reports; reports that are included in regular subscription are absolutely useless; incredibly glitchy- our prescribers cannot e-prescribe on an almost-weekly basis and it requires one of them to cancel patients to make the call to AMD since only someone with prescribing abilities is able to talk to the support staff and show them what is happening; correcting wrong copays takes literally hours to do since AMD overcomplicates the process for updating this with an ERA. This system really requires that you have the infrastructure of about 10-20 admin support staff to manage all the features. It is not ideal for a behavioral health practice at all. We are walking away after just under 12 months and have switched to a new EHR that is a fraction of the price but designed for behavioral health. Our aging report quadrupled since being with AMD.

Nick

Very Displeased

Reviewed on 2022/09/09

Poor customer service, very limited features.

Poor customer service, very limited features.

Pros

Once you learn how to navigate the system it is fairly straight forward. Integrating billing features into the chart is fairly easy.

Cons

Where to start... Not only is AdvancedMD not intuitive, it is plagued with glitches and system failures. The Dashboard and rooming feature rarely works for most of the staff. The e-scribing is terrible. Chart notes are cumbersome and become huge without essential integrations. Auto population of information is elusive and only goes so far (eg. a chart summary does not auto-populate with a patient's BMI from that day. It doesn't matter how good you are at programming and customizing templates, a lot of necessary features are not available (you learn this after spending hours on the phone with customer support.)

Amy

Great Service, Feature Rich, Excellent Results

Reviewed on 2019/11/08

We have been customers for over 12 years and I have never found a product that offers as many features, better customer service, and overall return on investment. It has allowed our business to scale efficiently from day one, and provided us with a vehicle for cutting edge features, at a price that made sense for our business every step of the way.

Pros

The cloud based platform allows for very flexible use and collaboration between users and locations. There are many features offered and added each year, keeping up with the latest advances, efficiencies and automations. The workflows are well thought out, both from a clinical perspective, as well as the administrative and accounting workflows. Level of customization for reporting is unparalleled outside of building your own report servers. Customer service has remained consistently outstanding for over 12 years, with an emphasis and focus on the user experience. I've never seen help files that are as robust and updated as consistently, and the phone support is consistently awesome. Friendly people, user friendly product, great value for the price.

Cons

There are still specific areas that do not allow full customization.

Susan

Occupational Therapists DO NOT USE

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

AFTER I signed a one year contract, my Implementation Trainer revealed she was a specialist in mental health. There was NO specialist in THERAPY. There were NO Occupational Therapy templates I could modify. I was told I could PAY MORE for someone else in another department to create all the templates I was promised and shown. The sales manager talked with me after several weeks and AGREED they could not and did not meet my needs. However, there has been ZERO communication after that. No return calls, no return emails. I continue to be charged monthly for a very expensive service I can not access. The unprofessional operation of such a large company is surprising and unethical. It is a breach if contract-yet I have not been released. The negative impact on my start-up company had been DEVASTATING, yet I can not get a response. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ADVANCED MD unless you are well established and not Occupational Therapy. I don't trust anything they say, as there is no follow up or consistently.

Pros

Has everything for most medical practices. Integrated billing.

Cons

The software is great for software technicians and highly skilled medical office staff. However, it is NOT good for therapists. I was promised software that would have OT templates I could modify to meet my needs. I was shown examples of this. I was given a sob story of how they would hold my hand through the whole process. Unfortunately, the really was extremely different! There was no software to meet my needs. The creation of forms requires a degree in coding.

ClinicSource and Therabill

Reasons for Switching to AdvancedMD EHR

I was promised the world, then abandoned.
Iris

Thoughts on AdvancedEHR

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

The practice management side is much easier to work with.

The practice management side is much easier to work with.

Pros

The practice management side. I like the various options for looking up a patient or carrier, etc.

Cons

Building templates that accommodate our needs. We are a orthopedic trauma surgeon practice and the existing templates at the time we started were not conducive to helping our physicians get documented what they needed. Creating the word merge documents to go with the templates was a NIGHTMARE!!

Also don't like the fact that in order to get the coding function to work, we need to complete a review of systems for each visit. According to E/M coding guidelines, an established patient only has to meet two of the three required criteria to meet the standard. Since a ROS is just a PART of the history component, if on an established patient we meet the examination and medical decision making components, we should NOT have to complete a ROS in order to get the coder to work.

Bethany

Not the software for Behavioral Health

Reviewed on 2019/06/26

Awful. It was expensive, outdated, convoluted, and took way more time than necessary to complete tasks that should have been routine and simple. It was also a nightmare when there was a significant issue that needed support, to actually get a support representative on the phone. It was not uncommon to wait 30+ minutes before ever getting a live representative on the phone. And usually, once on the phone, their "solutions" would take days to weeks before they were able to be completed within our system.

Pros

We were able to complete claims and send the info to insurance companies. It saved previous diagnosis when creating claims, which was helpful.

Cons

The overly complicated, user un-friendly, and ultimately outdated platform. It is way overpriced, and under-delivers. It is difficult to track the life of a claim once the claim is sent, and frequently claims get lost for months or longer without detection, and go unpaid. You can pay for additional features, which I am not sure whether or not help with tracking, but as this software is overpriced already, we never opted to do that. Taking payments and tracking them in the system is a convoluted nightmare that often causing errors in the system that always remain, no matter what.

Jill
  • Industry: Medical Practice

I am the coding/billing person for the office.

Reviewed on 2016/03/28

Pros

It is fairly easy to use, once you get familiar with the product.

Cons

I absolutely HATE the way charges with payments are processed. In this practice, there are many times when a patient is required to pay a co-pay AND a refraction fee. This system does not allow you to post more than one payment in the charge screen, which then requires me to go either to the patient's screen, or the "Patient checkout" screen. It would be much more time efficient if we were able to post charges and payments in the SAME screen, and by the charge, not by the "co pay"
instead of going to the patient check out screen, or the patient's information screen. This is too time consuming, therefore, not cost effective.
Another thing that I do not like pertains to the E-remittance and quick pay screens when posting insurance payments. It would be much more helpful if when posting a payment on a charge where the patient has also paid, and the insurance payment is more than the insurance balance, that DIFFERENCE is put in unapplied, NOT the entire payment. AGAIN this is time consuming, because I have to stop what I am doing, go to the patient screen, unapply the patient payment, go back to the insurance payment screen, and apply the insurance payment. And if the copay is required, and the insurance company applies the copay to a charge in the visit, but not the office visit, I then have to go back and re-apply the payment to the charge the INSURANCE company put the co pay. I can show you examples of this, if necessary. It happens primarily with Aetna claims.

Pamela
  • Industry: Medical Practice

AMAZING. THE CONCIERGE OF MEDICAL SOFTWARE.

Reviewed on 2018/02/16

Pros

I like everything about the product. But what I like most is how they listen to their customers. Us. They take our ideas and wants and make them reality. They have us meet with their engineers and designers to show them what we like and what we need. They take our ideas and incorporate them into the software. Then come back. Show us what they have done with our ideas. Then make them a reality. They listen then produce. Always giving us things to make our lives easier. A clinician is the person that should be designing the medical software. Everyone wants better and bigger. That’s what you get with ADVANCEDMD. You can’t go wrong with them.

Cons

I don’t know if this is really are any cons but ADVANCEDMD offers hundreds of templates. It’s hard to know what to choose if you haven’t used an EHR before. You can customize the templates to your liking once you know what will work best for your practice.

Kerry

Deceit and lack of support

Reviewed on 2020/02/08

Initially I was so excited to get into this product. I thought I would get a superior product as the cost was 3 times more than most of their competitors. I have had nothing but up charging, hidden fees, limited service and support during implementation, and non delivery of a working interface. I am 4 months in and cannot event charge my patients copays or utilize their data features that were the selling ticket. I have contacted support and put on hold for over 1 hour with “I don’t know” as an answer to never receive an answer because I have patient to see and cannot wait on hold for hours. Again, this is during my implementation phase. I hate to see what this will be like when I am off “on support”. I have also been charged for services promised to be refunded but then charged anyways. As a new business I think they will put me of business before I can get started due to their fees. I’m having to work extra per diem shifts to cover this emr that I CANNOT USE TO PAY FOR THE PATIENTS I AM SEEING BECAUS THEY WILL NOT TRAIN ME TO DO MY BILLING.

Pros

The interface looks great but is not functional. The ability to see the data from the insurance companies for benefits

Cons

I have placed a more detailed description below. Please RUN away from this company.

angela

Top Medical Practice Software

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

The reports provide providers with ways to grow their practice and to keep track of their revenue. So we can always inform them where there strengths and weaknesses to only help improve their practice.

Pros

Advancedmd is easy to use for both the pm and ehr. I love the ease of use of how quickly we can train doctors and office staff. I also have always been impressed with the support that I always receive from Advancedmd from every department.

Cons

When I'm in charge entry and a patient makes a copay and a payment, I wish we could apply it all in one screen instead of having to post the copay and then pull of the patients account to post the rest.

Candice

Tips

Reviewed on 2020/10/22

Pros

The PM side is pretty straight forward and easy for my employees to use. The integration with other apps has also been very nice.

Cons

There are features that are missing that I feel should be pretty standard at this point in time. Creating templates is cumbersome, what should be basic reporting is considered custom reports that your're charged for and it takes forever to create. There isnt a way to bulk gather specific EHR records for audits that periodically take place. My billing department has to navigate through multiple windows when submitting claims that automatically need medical records sent with the claim. Many EHR's have it to where you can grab the records and send in the same screen. There is no alerts to notes that have been unsigned for 72 hours (this blows my mind since its a major compliance requirement).

Angela

I would not recommend this system

Reviewed on 2021/07/09

I have had a horrible experience and was at the point of paying for Advancedmd , hiring a biller and paying for a seondary system.
The sales pitch does not match with the product functionality, I felt misled.

Pros

I did like that we could customize the progress notes and patient forms
I like their integrated fax system

Cons

WE encountered problems with the RCM portion as they made numerous errors with our billing.
It takes 2-3 weeks for customer service to respond to your questions, even when entered in their ticketing system
The trainers are not users of the system and can not give functional workflow knowledge, they can only look up the issues and read from the manuals.
The billing department only enter information they do not assist with working claims , they will put the information in a worklist that the office or provider has to work.
The corporate office never responds to request to discuss your office account.

Donna

Very easy to learn and use.

Reviewed on 2017/07/11

We recently had to leave Adv MD because our EHR, that we had before Adv MD, recently developed scheduling and billing modules. That kept everything under one roof, but we still miss the convenience of the many features of Adv MD that our EHR does not have. I have no reservation in recommending Adv MD.

Pros

There were many reports useful for billing, contract negotiation, AR, and patient demographics. It was easy to break out what charts had not been billed yet, what procedures were used the most, and how many patients were in what financial class or carrier. The schedule was super easy to see at a glance, daily, weekly or monthly.

Cons

Some reports did not offer the option of beginning and ending dates. For example, to get a report of how many worker's compensation patients we saw in any given year, we would have to create a custom report that required a fee.