Gather Reviews

Gather

Private event management software for restaurants & venues

4.5/5 (114 reviews)
Tabitha R.

Gather has made my proposal writing 100% better than when I had to write them manually using word.

Reviewed on 2017/09/12

Quick & easy creation of bookings. Fast reaction updates with existing bookings. Immediate updates across the entire booking and all of its documents. Superior customer service.

Pros

We are a restaurant with a huge catering business and this software was designed for an on site caterer with event rooms versus everything being off site like our business model. I am looking forward to the modifications in the future that close the gap on the two concepts better. It has made proposal writing a dream! I love that everything is live across the entire booking with a click of the mouse. The customer service is unbelievable! Everyone is always so pleasant & receptive with all of my questions, comments, concerns & suggestions. The mobile app is great and we want to use it more but the team communication alert email doesn't function on mobile which renders it useless to our team. The reporting seems to constantly improving but we can not connect it to our system so we do not currently use it but I look forward to a day when we can. I absolutely love all of the filtering throughout the entire program and how there are multiple ways to find a previous booking. The calendar is my favorite view and I am looking forward to beginning to use the task function shortly. I have created many many menu templates which is superb but would like to copy one from an actual booking as well. Overall, I completely understand that this is meant for more formal venue catering so I am just grateful that I am able to utilize it at the level that I can for corporate/off site catering. It is so quick & easy and I just cant believe how effective it is to update for a client. Great job!

Cons

The biggest issue with Gather for us is that it does not report to our inventory/reporting system. We have to manually ring everything into our Revel POS system in order to capture an accurate product mix. Basically this means that this software is really only for me to create the proposal and our comptroller must recreate everything in another program. Huge waste of time but a necessary evil for me to have this valuable tool to do my job. I wish that there were more templates for multiple sections including but not limited to the notes sections. I find myself copy & pasting my own words dozens of times a day. I would like to see the lead be able to be customized because I have to ask a set series of additional questions before I may even begin a proposal. It would be really helpful to copy & paste emails into the message section to be able to assure an accurate add. I think that it is important to add a confirmation to the client that their CC info has been added correctly. I get MULTIPLE emails a week asking if we are all set since they do not get a confirmation. Please finalize the condensed versions that you have been toying with. Please go back to the notification to COMPLETE the gratuity, 50% miss it. Lastly, add the onsite contact info to the CHEF BEO. We use that version for the driver because it is a cleaner version to pack the van with. The regular BEO is only sent to the client with the proposal because it has too much going on for the delivery pack list. Thanks!

Dan B.

Excellent Software with a Few Frustrating Quirks

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

It has been an overall success at easily keeping our client focused. Instead of using many different software apps, booking, payment etc, it creates a single portal and eliminates many questions we were faced with prior to implementing. Sales tracking and other features are simple without the hassle of Salesforce integration.

Pros

The Event Portal feature. Each event having its own specialized url that allows the client to see everything in a very organized fashion makes the process of converting a quote to a sale much easier. The integration of credit card processing (we used Stripe) keeps the client from using other options (like Square) that would force them away from the portal.

Cons

Trying to keep you locked into their email ecosystem. The email integration is terrible. I wish they would support a Gmail integration. If I want to get my client to approve a proposal - they have to be emailed through their own email system that is not as user friendly and completely breaks the cohesiveness and intent of the software when I have two different email chains happening (which the client flips between without realizing). Make the event approval option available without having to email them please.

In addition, they will charge you for leads from Yelp, even if they don't book! It is a very shady practice that needs to stop. Focus on good software, not making money off lead conversions from third party lead sites please.

Eva M.

Helps to keep my event information organized and shared with my team

Reviewed on 2016/10/05

I am the General Manager and Event Planner for a very busy restaurant. Gather helps to keep me organized, in touch with clients and staff, and keeps all of the information I need in one place. I love that clients can get in touch with me through a Gather link on our website, and I can convert a lead into a booking very easily. Keeping up with so many people and events is exhausting, but Gather makes it much easier for me to have all necessary information and conversations with clients in one place. I also love that I can have my clients "sign" event contracts through the website, send deposits, and put a card on file. My team can also access conversations and documents so that they can stay up to speed with what is going on. But I think my favorite part is that the bookings calendar can be synced with my google calendar across all of my devices. :)

Pros

Customer Service, price, and rapidly growing features

Cons

I can't think of any cons. I think there is always room for improvement, but nothing sticks out to me as a problem. I did, however, have some difficulty integrating my bookings calendar with my google calendar, but almost immediately, the awesome customer service team helped me out with it.

Jenny Y.

Indispensable Program!

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

The customer service team is always very efficient and timely as well as friendly. We couldn't run our business without Gather. Earlier in our development we considered other software geared toward events, but they seemed to specialize on only one aspect or two at a time. With Gather we can customize our menu making it so easy for our whole team to update a proposal at any given moment.

Pros

Our team loves how each client has his/her own customer portal. It is fairly easy to change any details at any time. It is also imperative for us to be able to send an approval request to each client at the time of solidifying details for an event. Really helps us to ensure our team can execute the event flawlessly.

Cons

We wish that Gather was able to track any changes made by one of our team members so that when a change occurs, we can know exactly who made it and why... Or that there was specific place for a team member to track changes in the portal. Also, we wish that there was a way to approve each specific section instead of just an over all proposal. Our clients are dealing with TONS of wedding details (not always through us) and they have a lot on their minds.

Caitlin K.

A little complicated to use, but it's a powerful event management tool that your clients will love!

Reviewed on 2018/01/16

Pros

From the customer/client experience, it's wonderful. Great, professional design, easy to review contracts/policies, make payments, and correspond with questions. From the admin perspective, I like that it keeps me organized. There are so many moving parts to events and it's so nice to have everything organized in the calendar, have each event represented, and every event have it's own page to store details, connect with the client & staff, track & collect payments, create and send policies to review, request payments (can be custom or based on pre-set pricing menus), and store details for your team and/or the client (i.e. event floorplan, vendor info, etc). Gather's customer support has also been amazing! They always respond to questions in a timely manner and provide webinars on a consistent basis as well.

Cons

It's pretty complicated to use and takes quite a bit of training, which can make it hard to collaborate or inform part time staff or contractors on event details (or have them help with invoicing, scheduling, etc). There is also not an ability for clients to "sign" contracts, only approve proposals. For an industry that can be pretty litigious, I wish they emphasized their event policies a bit more.

Georgeanna C.

The best private dining software

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Although there is room for improvement, I absolutely love this software. It's fairly customizable via booking templates, and allows me to book and confirm routine events very efficiently.

Pros

I love Gather's tools for automated guest messaging, customizing menus and terms, and lead management.

Cons

Upgrades that seem like they should be obvious/easy are not quickly addressed. For example, I cannot assign an existing contact to a new lead, rather I have to re-enter the client's information each time. Small features like that can make a big difference in day-to-day management, and should be more of a priority. The email tool also needs some work. You cannot save a draft or reply to a message without creating a new thread. Also, the way that email addresses show up to clients is cumbersome. They should work on a solution to mask the @gather system display and instead show my actual email address (clients see the system email address and get nervous that they're message won't reach me). There is also a lot of room for improvement in terms of approval (e.g. being able to get separate approvals of terms and menus, rather than just one overall approval), and for resources for complex and offsite events (e.g. adding pack lists and timelines).

Topher C.

A Cut Above the Rest!

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Not only is Gather flexible with tasks and manipulating your day to day needs, there's a plethora of built in features to help be more successful ~ not just with your Clients, but your staff as well. Plus the Gather Team is constantly innovating and improving upon its system to keep up with the evolving nature of events and catering. Any feedback given is gracefully accepted and noted, and their Customer Success Team Members are always there for you when you encounter an issue or don't know what to do. Our Events business has benefited greatly since we were able to bring Gather in to the fold!

Pros

The overall ability to communicate clearly to Clients as well as staff, and having the software compatible with the newest tech (I get notifications on my phone and watch). Proposals to clients look professional and are easy for just about anyone to utilize. Putting proposals together now take minutes instead of hours.

Cons

I honestly have nothing negative to say about any aspect of Gather.

Cassandra O.

Overall, fairly smooth and easy to use.

Reviewed on 2017/09/13

Pros

I like the aesthetic of the software and that the Gather team seems to always be working on ways to improve the product.

Cons

I wish that the Task feature functioned more like an alert where some kind of reminder for deadlines would pop up, not only on the page for that particular event, but on the home page and calendar page. If the task feature were a bit more developed then I would be able to stop using Pipedrive altogether. It would also be AWESOME if Gather were integrated with OpenTable or another reservations software system.

I also wish there were more color coding options for different categories of events and phases they're in, such as a color for offsite events, or a color for an event that is confirmed but maybe still has a few details to finalize.

It would also be fantastic if clients could complete their credit card authorization form directly on the Gather Proposal Page so that they do not have to email credit card information or relay it over the phone.

Natalie A.

Recommend to anyone!

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Overall, the experience with Gather has been great. The Customer Support is amazing, and is always quick to respond and fix any issues you may have. Everything is easy and user friendly.

Pros

This software is SUPER user friendly. I have used it my past couple positions because of how easy it is for not only my position, but anyone else who needs to look into any of the event details.

I also like the unlimited viewer side of things. Communication is key and if everyone can have access to all details of the event, it makes it much easier.

All of my clients find it easy to use as they can view all of their details on their BEO, and sign off on everything electronically.

Being able to jump on the app is very helpful. If I am not at my desk or in the office, I am able to pull up any details anywhere.

Cons

I don't like that you are not able to edit a few forms that are already in Gather. We work with it, but it causes a bit more work on my end.

Suzi H.

So Easy!

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

It is easy to see what spaces are already booked for any given day. The calendar notes is also very handy as we are a very large venue with many different functions. It is easy to add an note for different "heads up" groups who do not want to host their event as a private party but do want to let us know they will be coming in

Pros

The best thing about this product is how easy it is to use! I love everything about it. They are constantly working to make things better. We have had many people call trying to get us to switch to their event software, but there is no way we will ever change. This has been a lifesaver for me! I am your biggest fan!

Cons

Some problems with the seated dinner menus printing everything on the Chef's BEO. I have managed to make it work by adding the information as "add another item".

Robin G.

Wow! This was a lifesaver.

Reviewed on 2017/12/14

TIME! I have recommended this product to at least 4 companies and I know two have signed up. The benefit I get is that my guests can see their proposal in real time and it's speedy so contracts can get signed quickly.

Pros

I love how user friendly this software is and how it is so easy to navigate. I like how we can generate a report with multiple pages at one time. The filtering options make it very convenient for me to review each of the restaurants at a single time.

Cons

It's a small thing...but when I am in a booking and I want to change some contact information on a booking contact, I have to go to another screen, which is fine, but I can't go right back to the booking I was working on. I have to find the booking again in the big list. BUT, everything else works so great for us.

Alyssa W.

Cabarrus Brewing Company

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Having Gather has completely changed (and enhanced) the booking experience for me. Having an organized calendar of events that is not a google calendar has been incredibly helpful for not only the event staff, but also our management staff to know what is going on daily. Everyone loves the Daily Digest emails that are a glimpse into what we have coming up that day/week. Since using Gather we have been more successful in booking events with less administrative issues such as late payments/over bookings/etc. I honestly do not have enough good things to say about this Software, it has been a life saver!

Pros

The ease of use. Being able to process payments online has been a game changer. We used to always have to have clients come in to process payments and having everything online has streamlined the booking process.

Cons

The only issue I have at the moment is that the mobile app is not as easy to work on the go. I do love having the mobile app, but I wish it was easier to send and edit the email templates.

Kari M.

I couldn't imagine handling our volume of events without Gather, it's a game changer!

Reviewed on 2017/12/12

Pros

My favorite part of Gather is the centralized source of information. The entire team has access to communication with the client. The client has up to date access to menus, details, and financials. The team can communicate within each event. The leads form, booking templates, email templates, and generated documents look sharp and make my job a million times easier. There are so many new features since we began with Gather in 2014 and it just keeps getting better.

Cons

The one thing that would be nice is to have a backlog of changes on proposals. Sometimes things get changed accidentally or the client wants to go back to a previous version proposal and I can't access it.

Tiffanie M.

Gather Software

Reviewed on 2019/05/13

I really enjoy this software and have recommended it to other catering planners in the industry! It's so easy to use and I can log in on my computer or on my phone through the app.

Pros

I really enjoy the ease of use of the software, it is very user friendly and you can jump right in! Clients love the online portal and find approving proposals and paying online to be really easy (I do, too!). Menu templates are easily created, whether a custom menu or pulling up from the existing menus. Customer support has been top notch.

Cons

I wish there was more ways to customize the invoice and BEOs for the client (picking and choosing which to display). Other than that, there is not much else to change on my end!

Esther L.

Not a flexible software for our rental venue

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

It has taken quite a while to learn how to use it properly. Customer service has been friendly, but the product is the product and I don't think it's right for us.

Pros

It's awesome to have all the information centrally located and to be able to process payments through it. Different staff can log in to see if a room is already booked and that's handy.

Cons

We have numerous recurring renters and this software is not at all set up for that. If we have a basketball team that rents our gym twice a week year-round and their payment arrives monthly, we have to go into every single booking to mark it paid and then close it. This seems unnecessarily time-consuming. Also, the reporting is very limited for our needs. We are less interested in tracking the reasons people don't book with us than we are at having a report that allows us to reconcile with our Quickbooks. At the training our finance director received, she was told the report she wanted didn't exist - what about offering a create-your-own option?

2.0/10
Timothy R.

Extremely bad customer service, buggy software

Reviewed on 2017/08/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Even though we gave them notice of cancellation after about 9 months they have twice charged our card for renewals which are not valid.

Pros

Generally the contract feature was fine. We liked executing contracts on line even though the contract tool did not have all of the client info required

Cons

Regarding our disappointment with Gather I would point to the following – all of which I have reflected to your support people and none of which have been acted on:

Your IOS app seems to be able to send messages to clients and it does seem to be able to send templates but not free-form messages. Yet it often leads the user to believe a message has been sent when it has not
About 45 days ago new inquiries stopped showing up in your new messages list – your support people insisted this was not a change but it was. It seems logical that new leads would be the most important new messages
I asked you to make all the numbers and metrics on your Home page hyperlinked, but you have not. If I see I have two new leads I can click on that number and it takes me to the new leads. If I see I have one new contract signed, the numeral “1” is not hyperlinked and I have to search for the new signed contract.
It is difficult or impossible to add a second client contact name but in the wedding business it is pretty normal to have at least two client counterparties. Yes I know about the “onsite” contact but that is not a default email recipient. Look at the confusion that appears in some proposals.
Your proposals are not properly itemized and clients do not seem to notice that I have attached a “BEO” which is not a term I could define for you. Look at both “xxx” and “xxx” as examples of proposals where they thought we got the price wrong but they don’t see the security deposit because it is not itemized in the proposal.
It is completely ridiculous that the client could sign an e-contract without being forced to enter and validate their address, phone, full and correct name, etc. Our normal course is we get a contract signed and then we chase down the additional information required to actually have a contract with the Zenith Additional Information form. This is cumbersome and probably not legally defensible. I want the client to execute the contract having filled in and validated their complete contact info

Janell B.

Gather by Gather Technologies Review

Reviewed on 2019/05/11

I am guilty of not jumping on the webinars to see whats new, so my customer support reached out to me directly to schedule a video conference to walk through things she noticed we haven't been utilizing. VERY helpful!

Pros

I LOVE the App! Being an administrator, I need the access to constantly update/edit and send out communication and emails through the software, and Gather is very user friendly.

Cons

I would like to see a printable version of the Calendar. We need to pass it out to about 50 people to let them know what events to expect and their time frames. Currently, we have to use a blank Google calendar and type each event and its location and time frame in to each day of the week.

Leslie C.

Best thing to happen to our event organization!

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

Amazing. Customer service is incredible and prompt, game changer for us!

Pros

I love that everything is in one place. Previously we were pulling from 4 different programs. This amped up our professionalism appearance wise and limits potential pricing errors. The client is happy to receive concise paperwork that is always updated with their most up to date financial commitments.

Cons

The ONLY things I wish it could add which are problematic due to so many formats would be some sort of layout system (weddings in particular need soooo much info) and maybe an area to store timeline specific intel as well. These are stretches, I love everything about it.

David C.

Gather has been a great tool that reduces the amount of time spent logging details of events!

Reviewed on 2017/09/12

Pros

Everyone is able to see whats going on in the private dining room. From the Front of House Manger to the Chef to the GM and Banquet Manager. It's all available in one centralized location.

Customizing the menu options to cater to the guests needs is a breeze!

Sending out contracts that are consistent with your brand is important. Once it's worded properly and stored, it's sent out the same every time.

All communication between the guest and the venue is all in one place.

Cons

You can't add events through the app.

Changing the uploaded documents seems to revert back to older documents at times.

Alison C.

This booking platform is so user-friendly; it makes the booking process quick and easy.

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

Gather saves me so much time so I'm able to respond to more leads and create proposals and correspond with clients in a more timely manner. All of this frees me up to do more networking outside the office and in turn generate more business for my event space.

Pros

The most awesome thing is, I can do everything in one system. I receive leads via Gather, I send and receive emails, book space, create BEO's, collect deposits, send invoices and other documents via Gather. It's the greatest and easiest booking system I've ever used and I've been in the event industry since 1987. The 2nd thing I love about Gather is their customer service. My rep always goes above and beyond every time, is always there to assist me, responds immediately, and is an absolute joy to work with.

Chelsea S.

Gather has allowed our team to see each our business as a whole with everything going on!

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

A central communication spot for our whole team, rather than searching through emails!

Pros

Gather is super easy for client's to understand, easy to get estimate approvals, and easy to collect payments. I really like that you can see timestamps of when clients have opened emails that we send through Gather, it lets us know they've at least reviewed the info so we can adjust when to send for a follow up. It is very easy to add and adjust menus and pricing.

Cons

Some items we would like to have control of for adjusting, such as how to tax and what menus are taxed, and how those menus can be classified, rather than calling support. We would also like documents uploaded to be available on bookings that were created before they were uploaded - currently you can only upload from the drop down list the documents that were uploaded at the time you created that specific booking, so not all the documents are there.

Alicia U.

Amazing

Reviewed on 2017/09/12

Pros

I started using this software about a year and half ago. It has made my job so much easier and saved so much time. It is very user friendly ( for both the client and myself). What has really impressed me the most with this company is their customer service. The few times, I have had a question, I received a response by someone on their team within an hour. I could not be happier with Gather and their team.

Cons

The only minor improvement I would like to see made is the ability to communicate to multiple people through the gather website. Often times if I am messaging through their site, and the client will copy people on emails and I am unable to see the copied recipients.

Alexandra C.

Simple yet advanced event planning software.

Reviewed on 2017/12/16

Having one place for all of the events to live.

Pros

Gather offers users the ability to easily organize a vast majority of events that otherwise can become overwhelming. Being able to process payments on Gather is the BEST feature. It promotes a feeling of professionalism for the guest.

Cons

It could be a bit more streamlined, it requires some clicking that to get to new pages that could be eliminated. To be honest I am not crazy about their new branding, the symbol does not translate for me to something that makes sense.

Joel M.

Gather Works!

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

When looking for a new system a few years ago, we were looking for a program that would bring all aspects of our catering program together. We feel that each one of the updates that Gather has made have been useful .

Pros

For our catering company with multiple venues we love the ease of use for both us and our clients. We love how Gather seamlessly combines the booking process all the way through to the billing process.

Cons

We would love if the due dates had a notification option a lot like a calendar reminder.

Kim G.

Gather Here, Simply the best catering program for both caterer and client

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Gather is always asking their clients how they can better serve us and is constantly making small time saving changes that do not require a learning curve. Whenever there is a glitch or an issue they are all over it and it is fixed quickly

Pros

visually attractive to the client, when I send a proposal it looks great with a big photo and links that are easy for the client to follow

Cons

For some reason, many times my emails send from Gather end up in my clients junk or spam folders but I think that is their security settings