OpenSimSim Reviews

OpenSimSim

Employee scheduling for restaurants, hospitality & retail

4.5/5 (441 reviews)
Rebecca S.

OpenSimSim working great for our daycare, with some exceptions.

Reviewed on 2018/08/14

The TAs love it, because it's all on their phone, and they don't have to keep track of a paper schedule. The only problem is if someone drops a shift at the last minute (due to illness or whatever), and I don't get a chance to approve the person accepting the shift. We haven't chosen automatic approval, because we want to maintain control of who is working in which classroom.

We also haven't been able to automate the process as much as I would like because we want the schedule to be as consistent as possible for the children in our care. We have to list the shifts as one hour each because of the TAs' crazy class schedules, but we want TAs to work the most hours in one block that they can so that the children don't have all new teachers every hour.

Overall, we have been very happy. The customer service is amazing. Any time I have had to contact them with a question or a suggestion, I get an almost immediate response.

Pros

It's free! We had been using only paper scheduling, and had a lot of no-shows, especially when a TA was supposed to sub for someone else. TAs are now more in control (and aware of) the process of finding a sub.

Cons

Printing the schedules doesn't work for us. When we print our paper schedule, we have the days of the week across the top, and the time of day down the side, and then the name of the person in each room on the chart. This is the only way our director can read it, and OpenSimSim isn't able to sort the information in this way. So we still make a paper schedule in Excell and print that, and then enter all the info in the app.

Also, it would be excellent if people could enter their availability with a start date and end date. We only hire college students, and their schedules change each semester. It is really hard to enter the new semester's schedule, because they have to leave the old semester's availability in for subbing.

The only other complaint has more to do with college kids than the program itself. A lot of our TAs think that they can drop a shift and then ignore it. Then when no one shows up, they're surprised that we're upset. So it still takes a certain amount of checking up on them on my part.

Sarah R.

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Definitely spend less time scheduling than ever before, which is awesome!

Pros

Ease of use, ease of setup, setup is organized and clear, love that it notifies my staff when I publish a schedule and is integrated with phone platforms/has an app.

Cons

I really really dislike that I have to manually edit “availability” for each new staff member, in order to force them to submit timeoff requests. I also don’t like that you can’t have an algorithm for time off requests- for example I require two weeks notice for time off requests, and I wish the app would allow me to enforce that, but it doesn’t...so instead I have employees submitting time off requests 5 days before which then makes me look like the mean guy when I have to decline a request. I wish open simsim would just allow me to have a setting that removes the ability to request time off if it’s less than 14 days from the requested time off date.

Scott M.

Rosters the way they Should be

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

The managers enjoy using it and wouldn't go back to how we where doing it.
The team have shown an increase in picking up extra shifts and sticking to what agreed changes they had arranged with managers.
Our roster is now more steady and hours worked more accurate to our ideal workflow.

Pros

Its simple and easy to use. It gives you all the information that is required to make informed decisions when planning your teams hours, it gives clarity and removes confusions when dealing with shift swaps and holidays, Both employer and employee are on the same page via a cloud format that automatically updates every one when changes are made. Can roster multiple departments so when in a big retail business you can plan for team members to be working in a different department too. The messaging function is the easiest way to connect with 100+ people in just a few clicks, this helps drive engagement through communication.

Cons

A few upgrades that would improve this further is:
A function to save and print time off requests and approvals so that we could go paperless and keep complient with the IRD -this would also give option for the employee to complete a virtual signature on screen

Also editing a master roster would be great - currently not an option to edit a roster without having it uploaded into an actual week - master rosters are forever changing so would be great to keep these updated simply as things change.

I always found the name OPENSIMSIM "out there" and odd however UBER would have also sounded strange until it was a house hold name, SIMSIM could be as big soon enough!!

Fiona M.

OpenSimsim review

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Overall OpensimSim has slim-lined our procedures for allocating shifts which in tern has reduced our admin costs and time. This allows our senior staff to move on to more important tasks and making our processes more productive and efficient. A lot of our staff members are not tech savvy so having a product that is easy to use was quite important and OpenSimSim has ticked the boxes.

Pros

It was easy to set up. The staff had no issues getting used to using it. It has reduced hour scheduling hours significantly as we no longer need to contact staff or go through individual text messages, everything is all in one place where we can see who is available and at what times. Makes booking in shifts very easy. I also love that you only have to post once and everyone will have their shifts allocated, no more individual messages to each staff member.

Cons

When posting the shifts it goes to every staff member listed on the system even if you did not get a shift this week. I would prefer it only goes to those who have been rostered on. It would also be more beneficial for us if the availability times show when the staff is available not the opposite way around.

Janice D.

Free Scheduling Solution for Small Team

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

OpenSimSim has been an excellent scheduling tool for our small staff and team of Student Assistants. It has been very easy for administrators to add and remove users, edit and publish shifts, and add extra touches of personalization like user photos and different colors for positions. There are some functions which we use little or not at all (Timeoff Requests, Payroll, etc) but they do not hinder our use of the scheduling software.

Pros

OpenSimSim has an easy-to-use, simple, and aesthetically pleasing interface that works well on both desktop and mobile apps. Our employees picked it up easily to drop shifts, swap shifts, and message one another and supervisors whether at work or on the go. It's also been very easy for administrators to create schedule templates to quickly and effortlessly publish week after week.

Cons

There is still room for improvement in regards to tutorials for employees. A few of the functions in the tutorials are only covered from the employer's perspective and not the employee's perspective, which makes it more difficult to explain how to use the software to new employees in some regards.

Odd functionality

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Pros

UI is easy to understand and accessibility on both mobile and desktop is really nice. I'm constantly referencing my phone to check when other employees are going to be working so I know how to balance the workload and who to send tickets to. I work in I.T., so knowing who is working when is really important for handling clients requests quickly. OSS is easy to navigate.

Cons

There are several discontinuities in the functionality. I can view other workers schedules on desktop, but ONLY on days when I'm working. But on my phone, I can view other workers schedules throughout the whole week by turning my phone on its side. It really doesn't look great to have my phone out while at work, so this is frustrating.
Additionally, requesting time off and changing individual availability (not just regular weekly availability) is a pain and can't be done through both mobile and desktop app. There are many things I can do ONLY on mobile or ONLY on desktop, but not both.
Sometimes when changing my daily availability on desktop, the visual block may look like it's between two different times, but the actual time it states is several hours later.
There are many similar bugs and discontinuities between the mobile and desktop apps.

5.0/10
Matthew S.

User friendly and accessible

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

With open sim sim we are able to reduce manual hours of calculating timesheets. The systen allows staff to sign in and of their shifts at great ease.

Pros

I found open sim sim very user friendly in comparison to it's competitors such a deputy. The navigation around the website is simplistic but effective. The support team are always on hand and eager to help with any issues.

Cons

As the product is still relatively new in comparison to it's competitors some features are only just becoming available, such as accounts integration. However these features are definitely on the way and the product is constantly developing.

Emiko B.

It’s alright

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

It’s ok. It works, and it’s what my organization is using.

Pros

The design is easy and simple to see. Updates are made real time and notifications are sent.

Cons

There are functionality limited to mobile, and this is extremely unhelpful when I’m working at a customer service position where I’m not supposed to look at my phone.

Cons on the computer:
-I cannot see who else is working when I’m not working that day.
-I cannot see a list of people and their shifts the way I can view it on mobile.
-When I make the window size smaller (when I have to sometimes for my work), the application won’t let me view anything.

Overall cons:
-Setting availability/unavailability is a nightmare. It just takes so much time, especially when my hours are variable. There must be a better way to design this.
Also, this function is limited to the web app — why design the software where the functionality is half and half between different platforms?
-is there a way to change the view setting to “Month”? That will make the schedule easier to see.
-The notifications are exsessive — I get one when my schedule is changed, then published. For one change, I get four notifications (2 app, 2 emails).

5.0/10
Laura M.

Great Product, Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

The experience has been great. The customer service is fantastic! We are a non-profit with very little money so having a free option that is this in depth is wonderful.
Communication has improved immensely as we can all send out messages.

Pros

Ease of Use. It has a lot of great features, entering as many job positions as you want, accounting for lunches, different print views etc. We use the messaging system a lot too. I have gotten really good feedback from my staff. This is a place where we can send messages and everyone gets them.

Cons

It is extremely slow. That could be just our internet, but it takes me a long time to do the schedule just from sitting and waiting. When I need to edit the time frame, I click, and sit and wait and wait. Eventually the options come up to Assign, Manage, or Delete. The weird thing though is the actual edit comes up immediately. Have the time, I am clicking just trying to get the hover part to come up and the shift edit comes up.
I would like more color options.
The publishing options for the Job Opportunities is time consuming. I would like if I could publish all instead of one at a time.

Kyle J.

Love the app!

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

Super stoked on it. It’s great for the staff on their end it could just offer a few more tools to make the admins jobs easier

Pros

Love the interface. Communication process is great and customer service is amazing.

Cons

-want to be able to easily black out dates for time off requests.
-a way to force staff to look at messages even or notes and “agree” that they have read them would be awesome.
-would love to have an interface to build “standard shifts” that you can then just mine from and add a little easier.
-also on the time off requests it would be helpful to have a limit on requests. So for example, if 3 people are already requested the 10th of the month off and we had set the limit at 3 requests, no one else could request off or make them u available.
-admins should representative the only ones to be able to edit workers availability

The blackout dates would for sure be the most helpful though. And ensuring that an alert is sent to employees when blackout dates are entered by managers.

Jenelle C.

Great Scheduling Platform

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Overall, I think OpenSimSim is beneficial for small businesses who are looking for something that is simple, free, but VERY effective.

Pros

I've been using OpenSimSim now for over a year. I really enjoy all of the benefits of the program. Obviously, the greatest thing about OpenSimSim is that it is free; however, I also really love the ease of use. If I am unable to put in the schedule for my agents, it is easy to instruct one of my mentors to do so. The platform is colorful, fast, and the notifications setting is much appreciated by myself as well as my staff.

Cons

I feel like the platform is geared more towards businesses that consistently have weekly set schedules. With the type of business we handle, I wish there was an easier way to create multiple shift opportunities for one day. We could really benefit from being able to quickly create shift intervals. The mobile app lags a bit when a shift is posted, preventing agents from applying for the shift in a timely manner. I also wish the chat system was an API that could be integrated into other programs so that everything can be uniform.

Melodee B.

Observations from a first time schedule app user

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

Paper schedules were awful. It wasn't until we went to OpenSimSim that I found out how truly time consuming and wasteful paper schedules really were. After printing the schedule, it was almost always an incorrect copy by the end of the day. It was so frustrating. Now, everyone is up to date 24/7, able to see who is available for swapping and can swap shifts on their own. I appreciate having OpenSimSim as part of our scheduling process. Thank you!!

Pros

1.I love that there is an app! Doggonit, that thing is awesome!! When staff can get on there and swap and not have to call or message me to make that change, that's AWESOME!!
2. The help desk people (bless their hearts) are very patient, knowledgeable and are available to help every time I have messaged them.
3. I really like that I can stay home when someone calls in. I just open my app and send out a message as well as ask individually if needed.

Cons

1. I would like to be able to see/print a month view at a time
2. I would somehow REALLY REALLY like to be able to see what changes were made to each shift ie..who traded with who, who was originally scheduled on a shift, etc...
3. I would also like the ability to shrink the page (on the screen) so that I'm not constantly scrolling and up and down the page through a long list of staff

Marissa W.

Love this scheduling app!

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Lots of benefits in the ease of use, for both me and my staff. It makes scheduling fun!

Pros

The ease of use, it's so helpful to have the schedule on you whenever you need it. It's made it way easier for my staff to get there shifts covered on their own. Allowing the app to assign sections to my staff it has given me the tools to help maintain order on my sales floor as well. I don't know how I worked for so long without it!

Cons

Mostly it's been a positive experience, the only thing I think would make it better would be holding the same layout as the computer when converting to the weekly schedule on the phone. And as a administrator being able to see what i have unpublished on my phone as well. And also it would be nice to be able to black out days employees couldn't drop shifts, just how there is the feature to do that with the time off requests. But really it's been an amazing tool to have!

Gabriel P.

Good scheduling tool for managing a bar

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

I have enjoyed OpenSimSim more than our previous scheduling tool. Since pretty much everyone carries a smartphone these days, the schedules are easily distributed to the employees.

Pros

I like that the software works on multiple operating systems as well as moblile devices. I find the 'landscape' feature when a mobile phone is turned sidways to be especially helpful and well thought out. I really like genaral ease of use for scheduling, removing, and adding workers, arranging time off, basically keeping everyone in communication (and thereby accountable).

Cons

I have not discoverd how to do all my managent tasks from my phone, and thus must always use my computer. I don't know if that's an option, but it hasn't been intuitive enough that I have figured it out (or important enough that I have spent time to figure it out). I wish that when people sent messages that they were more flagged or intrusive, I have a lot going on and sometimes I miss messages sent through OpenSimSim... Like a pop up window or something?

Steve Z.

Close other programs and OpenSimSim

Reviewed on 2019/05/29

It lets me see my day to day Labor percent and the actual cost with breaks of how much I will be paying my employees each week. I can better watch labor and adjust accordingly. The experience is great. I tried a few different programs and nothing compares to the simplicity, the easy navigation and the information it supplies to better control your costs. Not to mention my employees love it.

Pros

The software is super easy to navigate and its all very basic to learn. You can control your costs and see your weekly world all right on the program. I recently opened up a store and the Owner wanted me to use a different program and it is a nightmare compared to the simplicity yet efficiently of Opensimsim. Opensim sim does all the work for you.

Cons

Nothing so far. I had trouble and was a little frustrated trying to figure out how to give employees individual pay, but the OpenSimSim staff walked me thru it and now it makes complete sense. They were very patient and tried different things to show me how it worked. I know I was not the easiest person at the time to work with but they helped me figure it out and now that I understand how to enter it. It is awesome.

Michael M.

Great scheduling app

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

My overall experience has been wonderful this app has streamlined our scheduling and is super easy to use

Pros

Being able to easily set and send schedules

Cons

Glitches in the software when scheduling or swapping or dropping shifts

Mitchell V.

Honest review

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

We use this every week with scheduling everyone for who's working and when. It's really great because before we used this we just had an Excel sheet and it had to be emailed out and with this, we can also see if they have acknowledged the shift where as with emailing it, it would be such a hassle with making sure everyone knew when they worked.

Pros

I like that I can have this on my phone and check it whenever I want to, and that I can edit shifts from my manager account from my phone. It's really easy to add availability and to teach new employees on how to use it as well. I really like that I can color code position titles as well.

Cons

I don't like that it shows all employees for our team members at one location, because it confuses them on who they can contact about getting a shift covered. I recommend adding their location or main location underneath their name in the messages part of it, or only be able to send a message to others at the location they have access to.

Robin A.

OpenSimSim is a time saving tool!

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Overall, I do love this app. Customer service has been fantabulous and I've given them some ideas and they Incorporated them into the app almost immediately. I had asked about sorting the positions on a calendar so that they would go in alphabetical order because I had wanted to sort everything so the a.m. positions which show at the top of the calendar and the p.m. positions with show at the bottom. It has been a very useful tool and great for communication for my team.

Pros

I like that I am able to cut and paste my different schedules so it makes it easier for scheduling on a weekly basis with a staff of over 20 employees. It saves me a lot of time when it comes to scheduling.

Cons

I really wish the message app would allow to have different categories to choose from so you can pick from different chats between possible areas of a business such as servers, kitchen, cleaning, Etc and it's not very easy to sort through the hundreds of messages that I get daily as a business owner from my staff.

Jennifer L.

A Small Restaurants Review of Epos

Reviewed on 2019/02/23

Initially the customer support was eager & helpful. It was a little bit frustrating to have to deal with multiple people (I kept being told that my support "person" was no longer with the company). With that said, I still found everyone to be knowledgeable and friendly. Luckily I have been able to troubleshoot most problems myself, which is good because I have found the callback time to not be especially fast with the basic package.

Pros

Cost. For the features it offered, it seemed to be a good value and they didn't insist I use their credit card processor. My staff hasn't had really any difficulty using the program. It seems very straightforward.

Cons

Not that I have a lot of experience with this type of software but setting up some of the till-order details seemed like it could be more stream-lined. I know it is not specifically designed for restaurants but it would be great if it included more sub category options instead of having lots of multiple choice product group. Also, being able to have a negative charge option would be helpful when somebody want to remove an item from the meal.

7.0/10
Steve R.

Good option for the price, but needs more ability to customize

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

We tried a variety of timeclock software, and Opensimsim was one of the less expensive versions out there for the features. It does the job adequately, but as we add more staff, the shortcomings may become too much of a burden.

Pros

Making a Schedule is very easy, especially on the following week as you just have to 'tweak' it.
The employees like how easy it is to request time off.
The timeclock works on Kindles, so a Timeclock kiosk is very inexpensive and even works during a power outage.

Cons

You need to play by their rules, and their is very little personalization possible (for example we prefer to schedule in 2 week sets, but you are forced into a single week at a time)

It should be able to export directly into Quickbooks, but we have to manually enter the times

There should be a section for entering each employee's availability so you don't schedule them outside of their available hours. This is a HUGE oversight.

6.0/10
Ryan S.

OpenSimSim, so easy!

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

I love OpenSimSim, it has helped me schedule my employees better and has increased communications with everyone. If ever I have a question, the Support team is right there, very responsive.

Pros

I like how easy it is to add new employees to the system. I like how the everyone can know what they need to through the app. I also like the budgeting feature to help keep our production costs down. I also like the messaging feature, I don't use email anymore.

Cons

One thing I don't like is how I can't assign more tasks or positions to one person per shift, or maybe I just don't know how. Another thing is, sometimes I would like to see all of my employees schedules at once instead of scrolling up and down.

James P.

This APP saves me tons of time and frustration

Reviewed on 2019/02/16

Overall I am super excited that this APP exists and I have been using it for over a year now. I cant even begin to describe the benefits, its easy to use, simple to deploy, provides a great staff communication platform and has help tremendously in the overall accountability of my employees and ownership of their schedule.

Pros

Well thought out solid platform with all the bells and whistles of way more costly APPS but functions better, integrates easier, and the fluidity of the data is unsurpassed for an online scheduling APP !!

Cons

Seems a little slow to maneuver at times and ctrl copy function seems a bit glitchy at times. The availability and time off feature works well but its not very intuitive for my staff ... so far I have had people doing it reverse and others squaring me into a position where I have to conform to their specific availability but that is my own HR issue :-/

C S.

A Restaurants Dream Come True!

Reviewed on 2017/03/14

I first used OpenSimSim when I was a server at Urge Gastropub & Whiskey Bank. It was a convenient app that let all the employees swap shifts, pick up shifts and request time off. It was so great not having to call 10 people just to get one shift covered!
I then brought this amazing time-saving tool to the restaurant as a GM. My staff was used to the old-school way of using a printed excel spread sheet and then calling or texting a bunch of people trying to switch shifts, cover shifts, time-off requests, etc.. Once I brought in OpenSimSim, they raved about how useful and easy it was to use! If you are looking for a smooth running app that saves you time and money, then GET THIS PRODUCT!!! Thanks our reps & OpenSimSim for your outstanding training, support and all around awesomeness! I'm recommending this to anyone that will listen!

Pros

It's Free! It's a smooth running app. It's convenient, user friendly and my staff loves using it!

Cons

Nothing.

Response from OpenSimSim

Thanks for the fantastic review! The team is thrilled to hear that you have had such a great experience. Please reach out to us if you have any issues :-).

Robert M.

Still Has Flaws

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Overall it has been a good experience, I say that because my best friend is a software engineer and I know it takes time to work out the bugs in any application or program. That being said there are still a few things about your app that annoy the crap out of me - like getting woke up at 3AM by notifications; AFTER I've already been scheduled when I have other apps (like GroupMe) that enable me to silence all notifications for one hour; two hours; six hours or twelve hours.

Pros

I like the fact that you guys actually respond to negative reviews and take a proactive approach to fixing the bugs. Also like the fact that with this app I can take my pick of available shifts and get scheduled with one click instead of being on the phone for half an hour (Securitas at Universal Studios). That's half an hour of my life that I'm not going to get back and they're not paying me for that time, it's bad enough that they want to pay minimum wage to people with specialized skills (like operating X-ray machines) but then they expect me to waste half an hour of my life; every single day on the phone trying to get scheduled. Over a period of one week that adds up to three and a half hours of my life that they're not paying me for.

Cons

I didn't like the fact that I still get notifications for shifts that aren't even available any more. I'll see a long list of invitations, go through one by one - and not a single one of them is still available. It seems like once a shift has been filled it should fall off of my notifications so that I don't have to click through every single one of them just to find the ONE (if any at all) that are still available.

I also don't like the fact that after I've already accepted a shift for tomorrow I still keep getting invitation notifications for shifts that are on the same day as the one I just accepted and these notifications will just keeping coming and keep coming and keep coming and there's no way to shut off the notifications - even JUST for the day that I'm already scheduled. And I shouldn't even have to disable notifications; even for specific days - when the app should already know that I'm already scheduled and don't need to be scheduled again. Our bosses even keep telling us "if you're already scheduled then DO NOT accept the newer shift notifications that come in" because apparently there have been people that accepted one shift - then another one came in that was their preferred shift; they accepted that one two and then it creates a scheduling conflict which is neither good for the employee OR the employer.

3.0/10
Katie L.

Open simsim

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

Opensimsim saves us mass emailing our staff, then receiving numerous emails to confirm if they can work. Therefore making the process alot simpler and easier. The staff also find it great because they can look in one place rather than having to find their emails. It has definitely made life simpler, easier and quicker.

Pros

If is easy to use, quick to put shifts on and for staff to select them. Since implementing it has definitely sped up the process of staff g jobs.

Cons

Would love to introduce the time management aspect of the software to save staff having to sign a form. However because you have to pay for each user and we have 88 that don't work all the time. It is not a cost effective option for us. If there was a monthly set fee that we could pay for the option that would be far better.