OpenSimSim

Scheduling software for businesses with hourly employees

Matthew S.

User friendly and accessible

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

With open sim sim we are able to reduce manual hours of calculating timesheets. The systen allows staff to sign in and of their shifts at great ease.

Pros

I found open sim sim very user friendly in comparison to it's competitors such a deputy. The navigation around the website is simplistic but effective. The support team are always on hand and eager to help with any issues.

Cons

As the product is still relatively new in comparison to it's competitors some features are only just becoming available, such as accounts integration. However these features are definitely on the way and the product is constantly developing.

Laura M.

Great Product, Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

The experience has been great. The customer service is fantastic! We are a non-profit with very little money so having a free option that is this in depth is wonderful.
Communication has improved immensely as we can all send out messages.

Pros

Ease of Use. It has a lot of great features, entering as many job positions as you want, accounting for lunches, different print views etc. We use the messaging system a lot too. I have gotten really good feedback from my staff. This is a place where we can send messages and everyone gets them.

Cons

It is extremely slow. That could be just our internet, but it takes me a long time to do the schedule just from sitting and waiting. When I need to edit the time frame, I click, and sit and wait and wait. Eventually the options come up to Assign, Manage, or Delete. The weird thing though is the actual edit comes up immediately. Have the time, I am clicking just trying to get the hover part to come up and the shift edit comes up.
I would like more color options.
The publishing options for the Job Opportunities is time consuming. I would like if I could publish all instead of one at a time.

Melodee B.

Observations from a first time schedule app user

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

Paper schedules were awful. It wasn't until we went to OpenSimSim that I found out how truly time consuming and wasteful paper schedules really were. After printing the schedule, it was almost always an incorrect copy by the end of the day. It was so frustrating. Now, everyone is up to date 24/7, able to see who is available for swapping and can swap shifts on their own. I appreciate having OpenSimSim as part of our scheduling process. Thank you!!

Pros

1.I love that there is an app! Doggonit, that thing is awesome!! When staff can get on there and swap and not have to call or message me to make that change, that's AWESOME!!
2. The help desk people (bless their hearts) are very patient, knowledgeable and are available to help every time I have messaged them.
3. I really like that I can stay home when someone calls in. I just open my app and send out a message as well as ask individually if needed.

Cons

1. I would like to be able to see/print a month view at a time
2. I would somehow REALLY REALLY like to be able to see what changes were made to each shift ie..who traded with who, who was originally scheduled on a shift, etc...
3. I would also like the ability to shrink the page (on the screen) so that I'm not constantly scrolling and up and down the page through a long list of staff

Jennifer L.

A Small Restaurants Review of Epos

Reviewed on 2019/02/23

Initially the customer support was eager & helpful. It was a little bit frustrating to have to deal with multiple people (I kept being told that my support "person" was no longer with the company). With that said, I still found everyone to be knowledgeable and friendly. Luckily I have been able to troubleshoot most problems myself, which is good because I have found the callback time to not be especially fast with the basic package.

Pros

Cost. For the features it offered, it seemed to be a good value and they didn't insist I use their credit card processor. My staff hasn't had really any difficulty using the program. It seems very straightforward.

Cons

Not that I have a lot of experience with this type of software but setting up some of the till-order details seemed like it could be more stream-lined. I know it is not specifically designed for restaurants but it would be great if it included more sub category options instead of having lots of multiple choice product group. Also, being able to have a negative charge option would be helpful when somebody want to remove an item from the meal.

James P.
  • Industry: Restaurants

This APP saves me tons of time and frustration

Reviewed on 2019/02/16

Overall I am super excited that this APP exists and I have been using it for over a year now. I cant even begin to describe the benefits, its easy to use, simple to deploy, provides a great staff communication platform and has help tremendously in the overall accountability of my employees and ownership of their schedule.

Pros

Well thought out solid platform with all the bells and whistles of way more costly APPS but functions better, integrates easier, and the fluidity of the data is unsurpassed for an online scheduling APP !!

Cons

Seems a little slow to maneuver at times and ctrl copy function seems a bit glitchy at times. The availability and time off feature works well but its not very intuitive for my staff ... so far I have had people doing it reverse and others squaring me into a position where I have to conform to their specific availability but that is my own HR issue :-/

C S.
  • Industry: Hospitality

A Restaurants Dream Come True!

Reviewed on 2017/03/14

I first used OpenSimSim when I was a server at Urge Gastropub & Whiskey Bank. It was a convenient app that let all the employees swap shifts, pick up shifts and request time off. It was so great not having to call 10 people just to get one shift covered!
I then brought this amazing time-saving tool to the restaurant as a GM. My staff was used to the old-school way of using a printed excel spread sheet and then calling or texting a bunch of people trying to switch shifts, cover shifts, time-off requests, etc.. Once I brought in OpenSimSim, they raved about how useful and easy it was to use! If you are looking for a smooth running app that saves you time and money, then GET THIS PRODUCT!!! Thanks our reps & OpenSimSim for your outstanding training, support and all around awesomeness! I'm recommending this to anyone that will listen!

Pros

It's Free! It's a smooth running app. It's convenient, user friendly and my staff loves using it!

Cons

Nothing.

Response from OpenSimSim

Thanks for the fantastic review! The team is thrilled to hear that you have had such a great experience. Please reach out to us if you have any issues :-).

Ashley K.

OpenSimSim for the win!

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

I think that the business I work at has benefited from OpenSimSim when it comes to communication. We are easily able to request off and put in our availability. We are also able to easily communicate in the messaging section of the application.

Pros

My favorite thing about OpenSimSim is the mobile app. It is very accessible at home and on the go, so if I need to ask off really quickly, this application lets me do so efficiently. another aspect of this application that I really like is that it is easy to maneuver through the app and I am able to understand where I need to go to do something.

Cons

I don't think that there is anything I do not like. However, it would be neat to be able to see what reason you put down for asking off (on a computer) after you submit it. I am able to see that on my phone, but not the computer.

Yahya H.

Works Great

Reviewed on 2018/08/14

Great overall, very good product with some amazing customer service. They get back to you right away and help fix your problem.

Pros

It's Free!!!!
It also has some great features, I really appreciate that they added the reminder feature to remind employees when shifts are coming up. Really easy to use. posting a schedule doesn't take more then 5 minutes and they have made it easy to copy over the previous weeks schedule.

Cons

it can get a little buggy sometimes and you have to refresh. The only thing that I would like to see different would be the ability to change availability for my employees. or to schedule folks even when they show up as unavailable

• Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Excellent free program for small businesses

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

I am spending less time scheduling when allowing staff to swap shifts and having automatic schedule updates. The chat option let's me post memos, meeting minutes, etc and see who has read the information. The app works flawlessly with any phone type. It's a great app and I tried/ tested at least 6 others before finding this one.

Pros

The scheduler is intuitive and suggests common shifts along with templates making the uploading of the monthly schedule a breeze. Letting my staff have the freedom to trade and give away shifts, with an automatic schedule update saves me time. I like that I am always informed of activity regarding shifts. Love the chat option.

Cons

Sometimes when inputting shifts, lines are unclear leading me to misalign. Having a history of a staff member after they quit/ are fired would be useful.

Mike R.

Very User Friendly!

Reviewed on 2018/08/20

Overall, it’s wonderful! Even that ‘con’ mentioned above is not a big deal. I give it 5 stars just for being oberall very easy to use, and full-featured.

Pros

As an employee, it’s very easy to check my schedule, see what days others are on, and send quick ‘instant messages.’ While it DID take me awhile to figure that simply rotating my screen showed a great calendar view with other employees schedules as well... I can still say it’s a wonderful feature!

Cons

As I mentioned above, It toom me awhile to figure out that rotating the screen changed my schedule view. Unbelievably, not everyone my figure on getting different views from simply rotating thier screens. A notification somewhere as a reminder would be a plus...

Isabell M.

Absolutely recommend it!

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

See above.
Basically no back and forth asking anymore between employees for shifts, they can just save their availability and the rota is done!

Pros

It is really easy to handle. The rota is created on no time, swapping shifts has never been this easy, monthly accumulated shifts are just passed on to accounting and salary is paid.
Love the idea that you are informed about shift opportunities, too to make extra money.

Cons

Doesn't work well on an ipad, editing or reassigning shifts take very long.

Judy D.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great program!

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

I use the messaging to make announcements as well as to contact employees with corrections to procedures.

Pros

OpenSimSim is easy to set up and get started. I love that my employees have easy access to their schedules and can request time off through the the app. No more excuses of not knowing when they work, or losing their paper copy of the schedule!
Using the templates feature has cut down scheduling from several hours to less than 30 minutes.

Cons

I do wish it would allow me to message a specific group of employees by job title or work area, without going through the list to select each employee independently.

Nicholas B.

Great Use at our Outdoor Education Center

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

Our Rostering was happening via email, and only be 1 staff, it made it very hard to track staff times and changes, now it is a lot easier for everyone to see what is going on.

Pros

Easy to use, super convenient for all staff Young and Old, Efficient at getting simple changes out quickly and efficiently, Very User Friendly Interface ( not technical)

Cons

I wish that this software could display a Month View for Rostering Purposes, would also be good if you could add Notes on the date for your own purpose ( ie, to remind yourself of things )

Also from a staff feedback perspective an add in so that it syncs with calendars would be handy.

Leah B.
  • Industry: Performing Arts
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

OpenSimSim review

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

My experience has generally been positive - it makes picking up and swapping shifts far easier which means people are more likely to swap a shift than cancel it altogether, so staffing levels are generally improved as a result of this.

Pros

Updates come quickly (in real time) to allow me to pick up shifts successfully. It’s generally straightforward to use, and I like that it reminds me how long I have before my next shift.

Cons

Sometimes swapping shifts can be a little tricky, as it isn’t immediately clear how to do it the first time. I also found the layout of the message function unclear - some formatting to make it clearer would go a long way.

Bob M.
  • Industry: Insurance

Makes scheduling easy!

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Makes it easy to schedule employees work schedules, days off and to change schedules.

Pros

The software is very easy to use and helps us organize the schedules for 2 offices.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about the software at this point.

Lance C.

Great, but slow

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

So far OpenSimSim has been a mixed bag. When it works well it's a fantastic software. When it doesn't work well it's absolutely frustrating to deal with. We used OpenSimSim so that way if people needed to be able to switch shifts or request time off there was a place where these requests were stored and could be accepted or declined. Our old program was all manual so it's a big help being able to see who can work and who can't all at once.

Pros

I like that it's easy to see when you and/or your peers work on the web version of opensimsim. It's easy to set-up for your work weeks too so it'll accurately show how many hours you're getting in a week, and it being easy to customize is a nice feature too.

Cons

Sending messages to your peers is really slow. Even with a perfect connection it might take serveral (1-5 minutes) to send a message. Also, there was a problem my peers and I had with signing into OpenSimSim. I wish they had a feature to upload your schedule to a third party app such as Google Calendar or being able to do it on your phone using your Apple calendar. So that way my spouse and I can plan around my schedule. Another con is that it'll automatically sign you out every week. We had assigned computers at work so having to sign into my computer every single day is a waste of time.

Lisa T.

Opensimsim

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

This software keeps are employees up to date with their schedule

Pros

This software is so easy to use. We have set it up on each employees phone so they have access to their schedule. It makes it easier on them. Plus if we need to make changes it will update.

Cons

I have not had any issue and I have not spoken with any employee that had something negative to say.

Madison H.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Love this!

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Pros

This makes it easy for employees to be able to see what days they work as well as who they work with. Super easy to use for employer as well as employees.

Cons

The only complaint I would have about OpenSimSim is their most recent update made it so there is no difference between managers and employee schedules so I am not able to schedule myself or my assistant manager.

Sjoerd Z.

Beautiful and easy

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

Because of OpenSimSim it has been really easy to make rota's for multiple store's. I really like the way it looks. Because of that it is a pleasure to work with!

Pros

I really like how easy it is to use. Everything makes sense. Making a rota has never been so easy! The mobile app is working like a charm!

Cons

I would change the overview of Time Off Requests. If you are doing multiple rota's for multiple store's you will easily loose track of when and when something has or hasn't been approved.

Thomas B.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

OpenSimSim

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

Pros

How many functions it has outside of the schedule software (payroll, message board, etc...)

Cons

It seems very slow and can be difficult to use at times...will say that an employee is unavailable, even though they are available. Or, will be moving a shift onto one employee and it will actually assign to another.

Brady T.

Excellent for multi-locations!

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

Pros

How easy it was to schedule each shift. The scheduler also remembers if that person is frequently on one shift. So it makes scheduling a breeze if you have someone that works the same shift every day.

Cons

Since I started using the software things have changed. But for the better. At first I wasn’t sure but they made it super easy to have multiple locations and employees on different schedules. I can’t find a negative thing yet!

Lynne B.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Makes Scheduling a Breeze!

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

It has made scheduling staff so so much easier for me! Anyone can pull out their phone and see who's working if they need to switch a shift etc..

Pros

Easy to use. Staff love the app and the ease of booking time off etc..
I go weeks ahead based on peoples availability.

Cons

I don't really have an issues to report to be honest. None that I've ran into anyway. Occasional user error from staff with regards to booking time off and not setting the hours just days.

Helen T.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Opensimsim review

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

Opensimsim is such an easy software program. User friendly for both the employer and the employee.

Pros

Very easy to use. Posting opportunities for staff is a quick process.

Cons

Nothing negative to say. I really am unable to give any negative feedback.

Fabio H.

Best Schedule app

Reviewed on 2019/10/04

Previously we used Excel spreadsheet for schedule and now everything got very fast and easier with OpenSimSim.

Pros

The interface is very user friendly on both desktop and app.

Cons

Nothing so far. I've being using the software for almost two years.

Derwayne C.

Amazing App

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

Great application that keeps improving every update. Team is dedicated to making this software the best on the market.

Pros

This software is easy to schedule employees, communicate with them and clocking in is a breeze with the app.

Cons

The software in general is a little slow in the back end and the ap for clocking in is slow and sometimes freezes during clock in. Easy fix for the mobile app is to refresh the app.