Klaviyo Reviews

Klaviyo

Email marketing solution for eCommerce platforms

4.8/5 (135 reviews)

Great email marketing software for ecommerce!

Reviewed on 2018/08/09

Pros

I've been using Klaviyo for about 9 months now, and I absolutely love it. It helped me increase the proportion of monthly store revenue by email from 10% to 50% in under 6 months. It's easy to use, easy to integrate with Shopify, and provides awesome functionalities that any ecommerce store could need. Their automated flows (abandoned carts, thank you emails, welcome series) all work seamlessly. They have many email templates to choose from, but you an also create your own templates easily with their template builder. No need to know how to code. Another reason to love Klaviyo is their ability to segment your audience. It's so easy to segment your audience based on their activity and interaction with your website. For example, creating segments of customers who purchased product X but didn't purchase product Y, or customers who viewed a certain product page but didn't make a purchase. By having these segments you can send very targeted emails to them, upping conversion rates. Their support is also fabulous. They're very responsive via live chat and/or email, and really take their time to help you. I've asked them so many things, and every single time I've been given tremendous support. The final reason why Klaviyo is great, is its price point. Other email marketing software such as Hubspot may have more features, but the price is unbelievably high. For a small business like ours where every penny makes a difference, we are so grateful for Klaviyo's prices.

Cons

I love Klaviyo, but what I wish they had is more features. Although, this makes sense because they offer everything at a lower price point than say, Hubspot. Many things are in the works though - I'm constantly in conversation with the support team, and they tell me that sophisticated features are in the works! Despite not having the most features in the email marketing world, this has never been a problem and has never deterred us from getting a lot of revenue from email marketing.

Stuart W.

Returning customer after trying competitors

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

With Klaviyo you get what you pay for, but you really need to have a structured email marketing plan to make the most of the software or you will be left feeling that you are paying too much money. There's a lot you can do with Klaviyo with it's ability to segment, sync custom Facebook audiences and automated flows/campaigns based on numerous triggers.

This is more than just a weekly newsletter campaign platform and has awesome integration with ecommerce platforms (we use Bigcommerce).

Due to cost I switched to two other email marketing platforms for a period of time to find that Klaviyo was a solid platform (one provider we used was monkeying around not being able to integrate with our store, and I soon found that other store owners had the same problem) and in the time we were not using Klaviyo they had continued to develop the platform with new features.

For any store moving away from send and forget newsletters but does not have a 4 figure email marketing budget then I recommend Klaviyo in an instant.

Pros

Segmenting customers, customer lapse date data, the refreshed forms and pop-ups feature, the ability to set-up numerous automated flows/campaigns. They are also always developing new features and working to improve the platform.

Cons

If a product is deleted from your website and is being used in an automated flow/campaign you do not get a notification to tell you that it has been removed from Klaviyo - which means manually tracking any changes you make to products used so you update the email being sent to customers.

Hjalte R.

The best email solution for ecommerce

Reviewed on 2016/12/05

Klaviyo is hands down the BEST solution for any serious ecommerce shop. If you are using shopify, there is no question, that Klavio is the way to go.

Want to only send an email to people who bought widget a, but not widget B and haven't made a purchase in 3 months? No problem, with Klaviyo, you can easily do that.

What about people who have made a purchase in the last 7 days, and have also spent more than $500 on your site... and not purchased widget c? Not a problem.

How about targeting those exact audiences on facebook? Again, it's as easy as clicking a button. Klaviyo can sync all your segments with facebook.

The only not-so-great thing about Klaviyo, is that it has a slightly steeper learning curve than your usual just-getting-started email service. But the support is great and they have some awesome templates to help you get started.

I could go on and on about how amazing Klaviyo is, but instead I'll just say this: If you have an ecommerce store, you owe it to yourself to test out klaviyo. I am glad I did (and so are my wallet ;)

Pros

Can do pretty much everything, when it comes to email marketing.

Cons

It takes a little longer to get used to. With advanced features come a steeper learning curve.

Jessamin J.

Klaviyo is user friendly for first timers to email marketing & their customer service is outstanding

Reviewed on 2017/04/28

Well I am building my subscriber list which they say is super important for the growth of my company. I know that I will see the benefits and fruits of that they longer I do it. I am so new at it now. But I feel like I am pro by using this software which gives me confidence that I can do this!

Pros

There are so many things to like about Klaviyo! When first starting out I had no clue what I was doing. I really appreciated that they had all the basic emails already outlined for me. It made it so much easier for me. All I had to do was go in and change words and insert images if I wanted. I like the options that I can either use a template with HTML or just a simple text email and they have so many template options! I like that the whole process is guided and really easy to use. I don't ever have to worry if my emails are going to be sent or not. I love that they keep your customer in mind and they have a system in place to where they are not inundated with emails from you. They have a checklist to make sure that you got all the essentials in there before you send out an email and they will remind you if you didn't do something like use any links! I feel safeguarded from sending out a sub par email. I also love the analytics so I can see who has opened the email, clicked on links, made a purchase. And to top it all of they have amazing customer service. Have loved my experience with Klaviyo!

Cons

The only thing I can think of is the fine print at the bottom of emails with all the manage preferences, mailing address, unsubscribe copyright info etc I had to kind of put together myself. Which is not a big deal at all but it would be nice to have that as an included template. Also not sure how to manually send a campaign to someone new to my newsletter. Have to manually do that. It only sends the campaign to those currently on my newsletter but not future subscribers within a certain time frame.

Klaviyo is a great Email platform for E-commerce companies

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

Changing to Klaviyo was one of the best decisions we did. Our team was able to integrate with it quickly. It is very well documented. Its API allows us to also pass over information from other tools we use. My team is very happy with this platform and has no intention of moving away.

Pros

The platform is built for E-commerce. It offers out of the box integration with Shopify and other marketing platforms. The platform is easy to use and understand, but still had powerful features that can allow any customization. Its customer support team was great when we were migrating from Mailchimp. It has plugins that connect it to other tools such as Facebook, Zapier.

Cons

Some of its features can be buggy at times. I sometimes get random error messages with our Facebook implementation.

Cara R.

It's as if I had the budget to hire a person to manage my email marketing strategy + implementation

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

Before Klaviyo: The newsletters got written eventually but clumsily, and not as often as I'd like. Follow-ups, re-engagement campaigns, customer win backs, cart and browse abandonment were either 1) not a thing or 2) a dry affair automated without the addition of rules to secure the right audience. Klaviyo changed everything, we are now rocking and rolling on a new level. We have been able to attribute our newsletter to several big sales, and customer win-back campaigns are working based on the sales data as well. I had no visibility to who was responding favorably and to what content because I could not get the budget for a large MAP. This platform is affordable for relatively small marketing budgets, yet very powerful, so far.

It's as if I had the budget to hire a person to manage my entire non-transactional email marketing strategy and implementation. I do wish they could take over transactional emails from BigCommerce - who butchers the process, but the sales rep said they cannot do that right now.

Pros

I'd say so far I like the rules setup the best, segmenting my flows and campaigns to make sure I'm only hitting up people who 1) are interested in what I have to say right now, 2) Are the right audience for my current message/in-store sale announcement, etc and/or 3) Have not heard a similar message anytime recently. My other favorite is the easy integrations with other apps I'm using to manage my eCommerce and Digital marketing systems.

Cons

No overall CTR metric available (only per-campaign), nor a metric for open-rate stats across all campaigns/flows. Needing more training to intuit the analytics panel and some features but they do not have phone training available, I've been using it for about two months now, and I have a few blind spots that I cannot intuit from the interface, which is now a problem for me. They answered what they could via email.

Jeremy R.

Marketing Automation with support and deliverability concerns

Reviewed on 2016/12/09

In August 2015... I was convinced I needed a better email marketing solution with automation. Klaviyo is/was much more expensive than other basic email services (MailChimp, getResponse, AWeber) but the marketing automation was arguably a great investment with good ROI.

I integrated K with my site (Americommerce) and discovered that the only way to make K to work was via middleware, "CartSync" which cost about $100/month. It was imperfect. Bare minimum metrics. Marginally useful. I accepted the limitations and launched.

Klaviyo support manager's exact words to me were, "Why don't you move to Shopify?" Those words resonated...

10 weeks later when I decided to actually replatform to Shopify, getting Klaviyo support to answer a basic question was a frustrating experience. K support earned a reputation as only slightly better than useless.

Then there was the "integration disconnect" bug -- the connector to my Shopify store was shut off by Klaviyo, without notification -- ah, but there was an email -- sent by a spammy server (non-transactional) that never saw the light of day. We learned that K was sending TRANSACTIONAL EMAILS from a marketing server. And this email was getting flagged as spam by many mail servers.

In the mean time, I was a presenter at am ecommerce conference and when I asked who used Klaviyo, many raised their hand... then I asked, "is anyone satisfied with Klaviyo support?" -- the room's reaction caused the Klaviyo rep in the room to text his management team - and before the end of the session we were told K was hiring 4 new support reps.

SO the consensus was:
Klaviyo usually works great
Klaviyo has lousy support
Klaviyo is relatively expensive as your customer list grows
Klaviyo is very powerful.

But Klaviyo *had* an issue with their email hitting a spam RBL...

When I went to send a preview email for a campaign, it was flagged as spam. When I tried sending Klaviyo subscribe emails from 10 different stores that I knew to use Klaviyo, they all went to SPAM.

I was able to get Klaviyo removed from the offending RBL - but until a call from Klaviyo's director of product at T+30 hours, the silence from Klaviyo was deafening.

Then Cyber Monday's failure...

I'm still a K customer for today, but I will probably not be a customer in 60 days.

I still think the product is amazing, but no-confidence in deliverability and the history of limited support forced me to seek an alternative.

Pros

Incredibly powerful rules and automation flows. SUPER TIGHT integration with Shopify.

Cons

Deliverability is a concern. Support is slow to respond.

5.0/10
Carlos G.

Klaviyo

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/20

Email marketing. It is the best platform for email marketing.

Pros

This is probably the best platform for email marketing I have ever tried. Well, I use it for my online store in order to send twice a week week newsletters to my customers' inboxes. Besides the multiple options that Klaviyo has, which makes it easy to give life to any pattern / combination of emails possibly out there, pricing is really fair, and they count with a free plan as well. Designing is also easy. I have fulfilled all my expectations when it was the time to create emails to be sent to customers. Something that I really like is the local time for delivering emails because sometimes customers have different time zones; if email is supposed to arrive at 9AM, then it would arrive at that time (for customers). Also, I have to mention the extense documentation that Klaviyo has. Customer service is through email, but they always answer back to you in as soon as 2 hours or less.

Cons

They could make pricing a little more advantageous for their clients.

Sean K.

Freakin Love Klaviyo

Reviewed on 2016/11/17

I transitioned to klaviyo from another popular email marketing platform for my shopify store and the difference is like night and day.
Klaviyo smashes it!

Benefits:
Klaviyo integrates seamlessly with Shopify.
It has a simple "Getting Started" process that's included and doesn't cost a bucket load of extra money to understand how to use the platform.
It has amazing tracking and analytics that are easy to understand and help you see where you are converting sales and where you need to improve.
The drag and drop editor is awesome and the segmenting rules you can create for email flows is amazing.
It integrates seamlessly with SumoMe.
It basically does everything I need and has shown me things I didn't even know I could do to improve my business.
I Love It!
The only negative, it would be awesome if they had easy access to telephone support or live chat. The support is good via email but I like immediate support and the ability to chat live.

Pros

Mentioned in my review comment

Cons

Mentioned in my review comment

Kelly R.

Good for the startup

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Very easy to use, liked it!

Pros

Klaviyo is really simple to use. The interface takes some time to get used to but there's not much to it so you get the hang of it pretty quick. You can drag and drop images within the template so there's no coding required. This makes it simple for the small business that can't afford to hire a programmer.

Cons

As your company grows it becomes a little too basic. Other larger platforms offer many more features and a more professional/knowledgable staff to help with marketing strategy.

There are also times when the mobile preview does not render emails properly. For example, it will show two stacked images in the previewer but when you actually send yourself a test of the email the pieces are not stacked on mobile.

Other than that, there isn't too much that I dislike. It's just easy to grow out of.

Andrea S.

Great E-mail Marketing and CRM Software

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

Klaviyo allows us to better target customers that were big spenders or seasonal purchasers. This helped us create campaigns that catered to them and convert sales.

Pros

Klaviyo combines your store data (like customer information) and lets you build e-mail campaigns that are smart. They have automation tools to make sending easy. The amount of options that you can match on with an individual lets you create very unique campaigns to specific types of customers.

Cons

There is a learning curve. The number of options you have when creating flows and using logic statements can be daunting. However, their customer service is superb and have helped me every time I had a question.

Lucas W.

Klaviyo is like Mailchimp for Ecommerce. On steroids.

Reviewed on 2017/06/09

More, free traffic coming from Email. Social Media is cool, we get it. They have live videos and stuff. But where will Instagram be in 2 years, what about Pinterest/Snapchat etc? You'll never know. Your Email list, however, is here to stay. Klaviyo will help you nurture it and make the most out of it.

Pros

I think their product recommendation of products is very good. We all know the value of retargeting and with Klaviyo you can show either your most popular products in your weekly or daily emails or you can even show personalised product recommendations. This will result in higher open rates and CTRs in the long run. Give it a try and see for yourself, it's a powerful tool.

I also love the email flows, once you set them up (I upgraded from the free Mailchimp version) you'll see a lot more (practically free) traffic coming from Email to your shop.

All in all a great service, you'll see an uplift very quickly. last but not least: I LOVE it that they're constantly improving it further (latest addition are customised coupons for every user)

Cons

the management of profiles and users can be a bit tricky although you'll quickly grasp what it is all about.

Daniel P.

Best E-come Email Software

Reviewed on 2019/05/15

Pros

Love Klaviyo. I've tried a few different email softwares in the past, including Mailchimp and GetResponse. Both of those softwares were a let down and didn't allow for the customization and integratino that I was looking for.

Klaviyo has an AMAZING integration with Shopify. Makes my life so much easier. It also integrates with FB ads, which is a huge plus.

Creating flows in Klaviyo is very simple, I have been able to create sophisticated flows with minimal stress and effort.

Cons

The only con I was going to mention was lack of a visual email flow tool, but they added that in the past 6 months, so I'm kind of stumped. It's a great tool. The only bad thing about it may be that it's more expensive, but I find it to be worth the cost.

Jodie O.

Simplified ESP with all the necessary integrations! Great segmenting and amazing customer service!

Reviewed on 2017/06/27

Easy to automate our email campaigns, and very detailed breakdowns of campaign performance as well as contacts. We have been able to narrow down our subscriber list to the most loyal and our least loyal customers, as well as create campaigns to drive traffic back to our website based on analytics within Klaviyo.

Pros

Their basic templates are a no-frills way to make sure you're taking full advantage of your email lists. With automation as well as blast sending capabilities, plus outstanding customer service skills - seriously, I email our rep and get responses within minutes - it's a no brainer, especially if you're working with a smaller email list.

Cons

The ability to design and utilize HTML based templates is a bit shotty. The web-forms feature can be difficult to understand - different forms send to lists vs segments, flows.

Jonathan M.

Nice for Emailing Lots of People

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

I've been using Klaviyo for a little while now, and it's pretty nice for emailing, especially if you have a decent sized list. It's simple to create templates, and they're almost constantly adding new features to improve the platform. Customer Service is great, too.
I wish the data reporting had an easier way to see custom info from the dashboard, but other than that it's great!

Pros

It's easy and simple to use, they have tons of resources and helpful tips to improve the efficacy of marketing efforts, and have stellar customer service. They are also constantly adding new features that are pretty sweet.

Cons

the reporting options could be a little more user friendly, like being able to set custom date ranges from the dashboard would be really nice to have.

Aaron J.

Easier to set up than Mailchimp and insanely more powerful

Reviewed on 2016/12/16

I started with Mailchimp and l liked it, but I couldn't get the segmentation that I wanted for my Shopify store. We were just launching our new store and I didn't have the time to switch and set up a new email system, but wow...it was so simple. I blocked half a day and I had it mostly set within 2 hours! Abandoned cart sequence, welcome sequence, repeat purchase thank you sequence. All will easy A/B test set up. Plus it automatically set up segmentations based on spending.

My favorite part is the activity feed which tracks all of you customers activities and you can quickly sort to see who has opened an email, who has been active on the site, clicked links, etc... I am no marketing expert and this has made it so simple.

I cannot recommend them enough. I experimented with Convertkit and Mailchimp and Klaviyo is hands down the best for e-commerce!

Pros

Dead simple to set up.
Intuitive Functionality
Powerful and dynamic list building and segmentation
Love the activity feed!
Great usage data

Cons

Email templates have a ton of drag and drop options, but it's not as easy to create good looking emails as mail chimp. if you aren't careful you can junk up your email design. There are a ton of options so it is more customizable than mail chimp and you can add dynamic product feeds based on Shopify info.

Nick S.

Can't rave about this company and product enough!!!

Reviewed on 2017/12/14

Increased my income/revenue drastically!

Pros

The integration is almost flawless. And where they may lack in an area they are very quick to help out and increase in areas you bring up. They are VERY focused on what the customer needs and wants. The Customer service is top notch and the help files are surprisingly helpful. They have clearly put a lot of effort into this aspect of the company. Great Job Guys!

Cons

Would love to see some of the same integrations that you see with other platforms brought across to the rest. Ex: Generating custom coupon codes like shopify.

Damon P.

Klaviyo is the only email platform I use and recommend.

Reviewed on 2017/06/01

Revenue!!

Pros

Klaviyo integrates perfectly with my clients and my own Shopify store. It is simply to use whilst having a host of powerful features to assist in generating revenue from both your lists and flows.

Cons

Support is excellent however can be a little delayed waiting for email replies. Pricing can also be hard to understand when you first start using with cost per contact.

Klaviyo is a great tool to use to manage your company's CRM & email marketing.

Reviewed on 2018/03/09

Pros

Pros:
Great way to see how active & engaged email leads are with its individual profile view
Super integration with Shopify which allows setting up customized abandoned cart automated email flows

Cons

Reporting on campaigns & email list performance isn't as good as it could be. It's difficult to easily access performance data on list engagement

Great Email Marketing Tool For Beginners and Ecommerce

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Overall, Klaviyo has made setting up email marketing for my ecommerce websites super simple and effective. I would recommend to anyone that has an ecommerce site and wants to easily set up flows and make beautiful emails.

Pros

Klaviyo has easy to customize templates that make your emails look beautiful and creative. You do not need to know how to code in order to customize them. The pre-built automation flows make setting email marketing super easy. I love the drag and drop feature for setting up flows. It makes it easy to visualize and plan any campaign.

Cons

You have to be a paying member for live chat support. Regardless, the customer service is still super helpful. Just be aware that if you are on the free plan, you may have to email your questions. The pro, however, is that klaviyo has a bunch of content online that you can read to answer your own questions.

This is great software

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

We moved from Klaviyo to Mailchimp because of Klaviyo's user interface and ability to create segments to target pretty much any specific audience from our lists that we desire. I also enjoy the customer information Klaviyo collects and makes available in terms of how frequently they order, their churn risk and overall value to the company. It's great!

Pros

It integrates with a lot of CMS services/softwares, it's easy to use, it's versatile, and Klaviyo is a great company

Cons

I guess it could be a little cheaper, but I believe you get what you pay for.

Jordan R.

The best autoresponder on the market

Reviewed on 2018/07/06

I've finally had confidence in my email sequences. Above all I have trust and confidence that the service is integrating correctly and the right emails are being sent out at the right times and look the right way. I'm not constantly worrying that this is being done correctly

Pros

It's pricing and functionality combo. It is designed the best of any email service I've seen, arranged in "flows" for a certain set of emails to automatically happen when an event is triggered. It integrates natively into several platforms including Shopify, making everything completely automated once it is set up. It is also free to use up to 250 contacts, which is quite impressive.

Cons

Sometimes the formatting and editing of the emails aren't quite accurate, it seems like sending tests sometimes yields different results than what is shown in the editor. This is always good practice, but could still be improved in the software. There are a few bugs in the interface that require reloading the page, but I've never lost any work I've done

Jake G.

LOVE Klaviyo!!!

Reviewed on 2018/12/13

Pros

This software is honestly the BEST when it comes to ecommerce email marketing. They not only allow you to create flows quickly, but it's extremely easy to create campaigns as well!

Cons

I honestly don't really have many dislikes other than it's very difficult to make changes on mobile.

Mike W.

Easy Yet Powerful

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

Pros

Klaviyo is extremely intuitive and has a simple interface. I was an interim email manager and had to learn quickly, and I felt that Klaviyo was the perfect tool to easily setup flows/automations.

Cons

Exporting customer segments and reports seem to take longer than expected. Depending on the size of the export, it can take hours to completely export. Comparing campaign performance is limited, so reliance on spreadsheets is still necessary.

Ian K.

Powerful data segmentation + beautiful email templates + FB integration = More Revenue

Reviewed on 2016/11/10

I started using Klaviyo as a solution for a retail client whose customer base is made up of people who exhibit a diverse set of categorical interests. With the need for segmentation and better targeting, we quickly realized his existing email provider was incapable of providing this functionality, so we decided to turn to Klaviyo to fill the need. The platform is brilliant, we were able to segment by user attributes and purchase behaviors, we were able to pull in custom product feeds, we were even able to export segments to Facebook for targeted ad campaigns. Klaviyo wins big points for usability, customization and results and we'll continue to use the platform.

Pros

The list segmentation and automated flows are incredibly powerful.

Cons

The product does not yet have a Google Customer Match integration but I'm sure that will be coming down the road.

Response from Klaviyo

Thank you for your review! We are happy you enjoy using our platform.