Firm Central

Law practice management software with billing and invoicing

Kim G.

Customer service has been great, very responsive when I have had problem/question.

Reviewed on 2017/05/19

Pros

I love the fact that the new Time and Billing syncs with QuickBooks. Invoicing is so much easier with Time and Billing.

Cons

We don't use the document management features as they are not easily accessible. The search function in Firm Central takes a long time to return results as well.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Hello Ms. Grayson,
Thank you for your review and your comments regarding Firm Central. I will share your feedback with the development team especially as it relates to searching and documents and have a Product Specialist follow up with you to get more specific details. Thank you for being a valued customer!

David M.

Not what we expected.

Reviewed on 2018/10/22

I would not recommend it.

Pros

The sales presentation was good. The software itself has not performed well.

Cons

It is not fully integrated with outlook - so every update to FC also has to be updated to outlook. Rule updates come late - our state revised its rule and gave 7 months notice of the rule change, FC is still making rule changes 3 months after implementation of the new rules.

Service requests are poorly handled and we often get bumped from one person to another who just want to talk about the experience. We still experience mistakes in calendaring (sometimes extra days are added for no apparent reason) and we end up having to double check everything which defeats the purpose of getting this software.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Attorney McDowell,
We are sorry to hear that Firm Central was not what you expected. We strive to provide excellent customer service and employ a dedicated technical support team for our Firm Central users to leverage with any technical difficulties. Our product team is very responsive to customer requests as well. Please let us know if you'd like to set up a call for assistance. Thanks for being a valued customer.

• Industry: Law Practice

Good idea in theory, but still has bugs that need to be worked out.

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

Overall I would not recommend this product. Work disappears from the software, and in a lawfirm this is unacceptable. The software needs to be 100% reliable.

Pros

I like that it is cloud based, perfect for small firms. It integrates with Outlook to schedule calendar items. You are able to work remotely becuase it is cloud based.

Cons

There are many bugs. The desktop application is often just gone from the explorer menu, things you import disappear or never upload to begin with. I am still waiting for TR to figure out why my documents just disappear.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Hello,
Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear you are encountering issues with the Desktop integration. We have been diligently working to resolve any bug issues and have successfully solved the majority of the problems. We are here to help should you need further assistance!

Bruce D.
  • Industry: Law Practice

In my experience a large number of "bugs" in the program. Don't do it. I regret trying this...

Reviewed on 2017/08/30

Learning, yet again, not to buy the hype.

Pros

It loads? Home screen has multiple options.

Cons

Poor documentation of retainer application. Active matters "disappear." Scared to enter more time.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Attorney Danielson,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that things aren't going as expected for you as a new user of Firm Central. Your project manager Rebecca will be reaching out to help assist with any issues you're experiencing. We are here to support you with the transition to using Firm Central and ongoing throughout with any additional training you require. Thank you for being a valuable customer!

Lois R.

Excellent Customer Service

Reviewed on 2018/12/20

Pros

Customer Service. Ease of entering time and expenses.

Cons

Not specifically suited for the way we do our billing. For instance, as a law office, we bill by "client", not "matters", so extra steps needed to get to where I need to be.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Hello Lois,
Thanks for your review of Firm Central. We are glad to hear you're finding the software a great value and that entering time and expenses is intuitive for your firm. We're working on developing client level billing, so please stay tuned for future product enhancements. Thank you for being a valued customer and sharing your feedback!

David S.

A Good Start

Reviewed on 2017/09/29

It gave us a strong platform to work from

Pros

I like the look and feel of the program. I like the stability. I love Deadline Assistant and I love the West Support

Cons

I really dislike the program because it has no email integration. Given that this is Firm Central, not having an email integration is not very "CENTRAL". I need a color-coded calendar, I also need an app that I actually can use on my smartphone. The current semi app really is not a good fit.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Dear Attorney Sergi,
Thank you for taking the time to review Firm Central. We are glad to hear it is generally is a good fit for your firm! We carefully listen to customer feedback and we're happy to say that desktop calendar integration does exist including a two-way sync with Outlook that as of this week, will now allow for color coding on your website calendars and on your desktop. To get the color coding on your desktop calendar please go to the Firm Central support page and download the most recent software release. Please call us with any questions at 1-888-287-8537. Thank you for being a valued customer!

Yolonda B.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Not so good

Reviewed on 2018/01/31

If you are a person who needs your computer systems to be intuitive and user friendly then do not use Firm Central. Firm Central offers a lot of teaching help, but it was still just too difficult for me to learn a "better" way of working with it. I thought that the frustrations I was feeling when I first started using the product would lessen - you always have a learning curve

Pros

Price is not bad. I was offered a "2 for 1" deal. Also, Firm Central is just generally a good price for a firm management system.
Great support. Firm Central offers a really in-depth one-on-one learning opportunity to help you get to know the system.

Patricia W.

Buyer's Remorse

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

We especially liked the status feed. Customer service was fantastic. We just couldn't make operations run smoothly with most of our users on Macs. The WL integration was a big plus, but didn't outweigh the loss of other integrations.

Pros

Very stable platform, no glitches or bugs. Love the customizable dashboard for matters and the "status" feed on each matter.

Cons

While "usable" on a Mac, it caused us a lot of version control issues. Mac users must download, save locally, and re-upload. We thought this was manageable inconvenience, but found that because one often downloads the same document, one's local drive will rename the file by adding (1) to the end of the file name, for example. If you want to maintain version control, you have to delete any local copies to save the file using the same name before you download. Far to labor intensive. Also, even though we are using lots of Westlaw products, the integration with WL wasn't worth the loss of integration with all other platforms. And once you sign the contract, you are stuck with it. No month to month option.

Joseph S.
  • Industry: Legal Services

It sucks you in and won't let go except for a price

Reviewed on 2016/06/15

We've been using Firm Central for 16 months. The reason I know exactly how long we've been using it is because I had to sign a contract for 3 years. You see, West ties Firm Central to your WestlawNext and Doc & Form Building subscriptions, so each time you want to add a new employee as a user, you are required to renew your contract for all of the products you have from them. Therefore, your contract will never end so long as your firm keeps growing. If that employee leaves and you no longer need them to be a user on the system, they don't then shorten the contract back to its prior term, however.

Pros

Easy to use and intuitive. The link to WestlawNext and Doc & Form Builder is very helpful, but it's not enough to make it worth the price. The Deadline Assistant integration is very helpful as well. But all of these programs can be used separate and apart from Firm Central, so don't feel like you have to buy Firm Central to get access to them.

Cons

Yes, they advertise that it's only $40 per month per user. However, it requires a contractual commitment to get this system. Then, if you have any other West products tied to it, that means that if you ever need to add another user, they will renew your contract for everything tied to that user name and password that you needed for Firm Central. It's a complete racket, and when your bill is almost $1,600 per MONTH for what they provide, every month of extension of the contract is very expensive when your firm has one lawyer and one paralegal.

On the technology: it doesn't work on Outlook running in Terminal Server (RDP), and it's wonky even on the desktop. The add-ins do not work with Outlook for Mac, and there is no way to "pack up" or export a matter onto a thumb drive or into the cloud so that you can take it with you to court. There's no way to export matters so that you can transfer them to an associate who is leaving the firm. You have to down load all of the documents, print out all notes, and otherwise go through a lot of hassle to move an associate from your firm to another one. Also, if you had ProDoc prior to Firm Central, it will import all of your data from all of the files you had previously opened in ProDoc. In my case, that was over 1,500 matters. Now I am finally down to 1,200 "open" matters in Firm Central, but there is no way to mass-close multiple matters at once. So it requires me to spend about 20 seconds per matter to close each one. Do the math.

Response from Thomson Reuters

We are sorry for your disappointment, we value your feedback and will take your comments into consideration. An account representative will be reaching out to you to discuss your experience.

Garry l. D.

SAVE YOURSELF THE AGGRAVATION - DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

Reviewed on 2017/02/17

Firm Central has been a complete disaster for my firm. I have a small (6 attorney) immigration law boutique practice and have been in business for 10 years. When we were considering changing our client database management system, we had a wish list of things we needed a new system to do that would be an improvement over our previous system. When presented multiple times to the sales person Thompson Reuters sent over to us, he assured us repeatedly that it could do what we needed it to. Turns out, after we signed the long term expensive contract, it was mostly lies. We got jobbed big time. After a while of using it, frustration mounting, costs rising, we got the IT guys on the phone to help us figure out what we were doing wrong. The sales person was so convincing, we kept thinking it must have been user error. We tried training, doing things different ways, etc., and nothing worked. When we connected with the IT guys, most of our conversation was met with responses of, "Nope, it can't do that. Never could, never will. What made you guys think it could?" It was crazy. So, realizing it was not going to work for us, and that we had been sold a bill of goods by the sales person, we confronted Thompson Reuters and requested that we be let out of the contract. Fat chance. They told us to shove it, not caring that we were lied to by the sales person. Apparently, that was his responsibility, it's on him and us for being suckers enough to believe what we were told. So here we are, stuck with paying tons of money for a product that is counterproductive to our business. Please don't get suckered like we did. Amusingly, we got a call from someone whose only job is to call people to find out why they are cancelling. The person actually admitted that to us. So many people cancel that they have people employed just to find out why. Don't buy it.

Pros

Actually we had a very good experience, the only one, with the off boarding customer service folks. They were very nice and really helpful. Made it easy to get everything moved over from Firm Central to our new system that actually works.

Cons

Everything about it. The sales people say anything to get the sale, and you will pay whether it works for you as sold or not.

Kelly M.

Inadequate billing software

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

I worked in multiple businesses and own my own business. Therefore, when I started working at my husband's law office, I was shocked to see the subpar billing system. During the first year of owning this software, I had to manually take a calculator to calculate the finance charge and then go into each invoice to manually type in the amount into the invoice. Then they decided to FINALLY add a finance charge option, however, it batches the finance charge assuming all open matters should have a finance charge applied. However, in a Michigan law office, you must have a fee agreement in place in order to assess finance charges. Therfore, I would have to go into the 1300 opened matters individually, to "de-select" the matter if they don't have a signed fee agreement in place. I have spent two years trying to understand why the development team feels it's not a priority to fix this. I have numerous emails and countless hours on the phone trying to work with them while they "fix the bugs".

Pros

Attorneys and legal assistants can enter their time directly into the client's matter.

Cons

Everything about the accounts receivable and finance charge aspect. Also, uploading pdfs into each matter is time-consuming.

Carol C.

Great product.

Reviewed on 2016/10/18

As a start up firm, we were looking for one product that would handle everything for us -- document management, time and billing and calendar. After working 25 years at a very large law firm I knew there had to be a program available that would do everything in one package. Firm Central was the only product I found that could do it all, eliminating the need for multiple subscriptions from multiple software companies. The software package was loaded remotely and after viewing a short tutorial, I was able to immediately begin setting up client files and adding documents. I found all facets of the program easy to navigate, the tutorials are great, the ongoing technical support is always one click or one phone call away. I have been very impressed with everything about Firm Central, the software, the tutorials and the knowledge of all the support people I have spoken with by phone or corresponded with by email. I highly recommend Firm Central to anyone looking for one comprehensive software package to handle document management, calendars and time and billing.

Pros

One program does everything we need.

Cons

Would like time entry to have a repeat last client/matter function so that I could enter multiple time entries on same day for same client.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Thank you, Carol for the wonderful review. We appreciate your valuable feedback and will pass your suggestion along to the product development team.

Betsy A.

Worst product ever

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Customer service is horrible. I had to jump through hoops regarding the calendar issue and they were not able to fix the problem. Using this software was the worst mistake I ever made.

Pros

There are no pros. This was the most difficult software to use and customer support was horrible. They were never able to fix their issues. Each time I would call for a problem with the product, I was told that they would have to have someone up the chain call me. 2-3 days later I might get a return call.

Cons

The software would constantly delete the events on my calendar. The billing portion was difficult to use in that you had to transfer money by client and could not do a batch transfer.

Leonard J.
  • Industry: Accounting

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

Response from Thomson Reuters

Dear Mr. Johnson,
Thank you very much for your stellar review of Firm Central. We are very happy to see that you rate the program with 5 stars across the board and are very likely to recommend the product to your colleagues and peers. Thanks for being a valued customer!
Best Regards.

Paula H.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Very impressed with Firm Central!

Reviewed on 2016/09/01

I already use Doc and Form Builder and this is a great add on to that. I like having everything I need in one place. Being able to access it from home and while traveling is a bonus.

Pros

It seems to cover all of my needs in one place - no having to use one software program and then another to accomplish everything. Less time wasted.

Cons

This con is not so much about the software as it is a reflection on me. I am an "old dog" with limited technological abilities. It will take time for me to become proficient and to ensure I am utilizing it to its capacity. Price is another issue. As a solo, I really have to watch the bottom line. Anything I add to the budget has a huge impact.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Thank you for your review of Firm Central. We are glad to hear that you are finding value in Doc & Form Builder and Firm Central and appreciate your feedback!

Marty O.

DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE

Reviewed on 2016/06/27

Terrible product! We had so many issues just trying to be trained on the software. They assured us that FirmCentral has 24/7 support, which isn't true. When you call after hours, a tech center who doesn't know anything about the product reads instructions to you, and then creates a ticket for someone to call you back during business hours. We rarely received a call back. The only way I could get the support team to respond is by sending them a message asking where I could leave a review for the product. Of course they never answered that question but it did prompt them to call me.

Cons

This software is clunky and difficult to use. We tried to hang in there for four months; however, the glitches never were fixed. I was blown away that Thomson Reuters would allow such a terrible product to be on the market. My staff spent more time trying the suggested work arounds than actually working. Also, we received our "welcome packet and instructions" two months after we canceled our contract. We now use MyCase and couldn't be happier.

Kathleen C.

Waste of Time and MONEY.

Reviewed on 2019/03/08

Bad Faith practices of Firm Central/West

Pros

the matters page is setup to provide a information on a case.

Cons

Billing. I received bills for thousands of dollars in a two month time frame for "out of network/contract" usage. I wasted ten hours on the phone and emails, talking to 7 different westlaw representatives explaining the problem. Finally, west admitted they had the WRONG registration key and they would correct THEIR mistake. I wrote in to cancel my contract, the representation, sent me my contract telling me I could not cancel Firm Central until 2021. Today, I received another erroneous bill, I am again on the phone correcting West's , mistakes wasting my morning billable time.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Dear Attorney Collins,
We are very sorry to hear about your billing issues with Firm Central. Please let us know if we can be of assistance with straightening this out for you. Thank you.

Sharmen C.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Customer Representative was very helpful and answered all of our questions in a very timely...

Reviewed on 2017/05/26

Time and billing are incorporated into Firm Central.

Pros

That time and billing are incorporated into Firm Central. This part of the survey is a bit strange that it won't submit my answer because it is too short.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Hello Sharmen,
Thank you very much for your product review for Firm Central. We are very glad to see that you are satisfied with our support and that Firm Central Time & Billing is going well for you!

Forrest K.

Reviewed on 2017/03/19

Our rep provided first class customer service and assistance without which I could not have on-boarded my practice in such short amount of time. Thank you.Central staff for excellent support.

Pros

Accessibility and efficiency

Cons

Less supportive for plaintiff's cases model for defense billable work

Response from Thomson Reuters

Mr Kroschel,
Thank you so much for your review of Firm Central. We are so happy to hear that you are having a good experience with your rep and customer support staff, and that you are finding Firm Central helpful to your firm. We will pass along your suggestions to the product team.

Have a great day!

Harper L.

Love this product!

Reviewed on 2016/08/19

Firm Central helped us with all of our business needs very efficiently and very effectively. We are so happy with the services it provides and the product in general. We would certainly recommend that Firm Central be employed as a keystone to all businesses.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Thank you for your review, we are so happy to hear that Firm Central has helped your business!

Nate P.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Excellent Case Management Software if integrated with Westlaw & Custom Forms etc.

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

Overall, our firm has had a great experience with Firm Central, but that is largely because of the additional add on products we integrated with Firm Central (Custom Form Builder, Company Investigator, Westlaw). If it was not for those seamlessly integrating with each matter it would not be worth the price.

Pros

This is a great Case Management system if your willing to invest the money to purchase the add on's like Custom Forms, Westlaw, Company investigator and etc. It can get extremely expensive however, our Firm saw the financial benefits in several ways once we committed to using all its features. The biggest benefit was the ability to automate the Custom Form Builder from data out of Firm Central.

Cons

The Firm Central Plug in for Outlook was terrible and unreliable. Firm Central should have put more focus on that aspect of the software because Lawyers and law firms live out of their email.

Lauren E.

Firm Central Case Mangement Review

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Pros

I like how it is very user freindly. It is easy to navigate, and customer support is excellent.

Cons

I would recomend that Frim Cen tral/Westlaw allow their customers to have trial access to their addins before commiting to a subcristion agreemnt (or an increase in their subcription agrrement). There are many futures that I think could be benifial to our firm. However, I want to test the product before commiting to it.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your favorable review of Firm Central. We are very happy to hear that you find the software easy to use and are leveraging the expertise of our customer support teams. With regard to the trial process, that is something that we are working on and we will definitely pass along your feedback. Thanks for being a valued customer!

Wendy L.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Fenton was very helpful and knowledgeable

Reviewed on 2017/10/10

Pros

Having everything in one place. The matter page for each client is neat, organized and easy to read.

Cons

Having to flip back and forth between screens, not being able to pull lists of data for cases overall or pursuant to specific parameters.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Dear Ms. Lang,
Thank you for taking the time to write a product review for Firm Central. We are glad to hear that the matter page is helping with your case file organization. We will have a product specialist reach out to see if we can assist with the data pull in regards to your comments below. Thanks so much for being a valuable customer and for providing your feedback!

Mark H.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Firm Central has organized my practice

Reviewed on 2016/08/15

firm central has proved to be a very helpful and effective tool for my practice. It is the assistant/paralegal that I haven't hired to date.

Pros

the outstanding customer service. Both the firm software account personnel and the technical support personnel have been great. Additional, firm central is a very comprehensive management and billing tool that has cut the time required to complete the various administrative tasks required of a solo practitioner running a criminal defense practice.

Cons

the lack of integration between google calendar and the calendar on firm central.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to hear that Firm Central has helped you to organize your practice and be more efficient.

We are continually working to improve the functionality and user experience for Firm Central and will pass along your feedback to the product team regarding the calendar.

Carmel G.

Our rep is incredibly knowlegable and makes it so simple to learn.

Reviewed on 2017/05/04

Pros

Still learning it it all, but it appears that it fits well with our practice.

Response from Thomson Reuters

Thank you for your positive review, Mr. Gilberti! We appreciate your comments about the character limit and will attempt to make adjustments.